• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

CorvoSol

Man, I forgot what a let down the second half of Nibelheim really is. GEEZ. I mean, I come to a town full of Sephiroth Clones, I corner Sephiroth in the manor and he flies away. And then you let me go BACK to the Reactor and you do NOTHING there?

Golbez would never have wasted such a theatrical opportunity.

Anyway, I've got Cid now and I pretty much hate him. The guy has the best theme in the game, gets the cool Dragoon job class and . . . by the time I get him I don't really give a damn. The only character less cool than Cid in this game is Cait Sith. Like, seriously, so bleh.

Also, an airplane as a boat. WUT. I feel like this is a lull in the game, and I've lost some steam on it. I hope things get interesting again when I reach the Temple of the Ancients.

Oh, and I'm sad that I could not lap Dark Schala. I tried, but school got me, too.

I just completed Crystal Bearers today. I picked it up for cheap, and I enjoyed it. I didn't really mind the combat, and the reactions and all were fun to discover. I just wish there was some way to keep track of all the reactions you've discovered. I didn't like how Layle would do all this awesome stuff in the cutscenes though. I wanted to play that. I also wasn't a big fan of the uninformative world map, and constant back-and-forth traversal of it.

I did love all the little details they added, though. They could've been lazy and made one model for each race's gender, but they splurged and made multiple for each race, and then some. I enjoyed seeing the interactions between the characters, like that Selkie girl in Bridge Town that would constantly kick that Liltie guy. One vegetable-selling girl lost all her pumpkins and just sat on the ground being sad. NPCs were handled well, I thought. I liked that there was plenty to do in the game, short as it was. Voice acting ranged from bad to good, mostly good, but I thought some of the dialogue itself was kind of stupid. There were some stupid waggle segments.

The music was nice. I didn't mind the minigames, though I could see how that could put people off. The miasma stream stuff was... interesting. Half the time a village with NPCs, and half the time an overworld with monsters. I can see why they thought it would be a good idea, let the player explore peacefully and then fight for a while so they can get drops. It's an alternative to random battles I've never seen before. I liked not having any monsters in dungeons. The sheer number of random objects to interact with was fun, like opening changing stalls and having girls go crazy and attack you. The story wasn't bad at all. I thought the ending was pretty amazing. Layle was cool. Belle was annoying and had stupid lines. Sometimes it was difficult figuring out what to do, but not too much so. Nice graphics and good-looking environments.

All in all, I thought it was a game with a lot of really cool things and a lot of really stupid things. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I'm glad I played it, but I could easily see how someone less forgiving than me would hate it. I wish they would revisit this game with a remake or sequel so they could fix some of the problems this one had.

CorvoSol

Belle was actually my favorite part of Crystal Bearers. <3 Laura Bailey.

Anyway, I've made it to Wutai and Yuffie is now officially my least favorite character in this game. I don't care how endearing she must be or how funny or whatever. I'm sick of this no Materia bullshit and it's gone on LONG ENOUGH. Half a mind to just leave her here forever. Blech. Anyway, I'm almost done with Wutai, now, so I better get my stuff back soon. Then I'll go gather enemy skills, purchase a generic weapon for Aerith as a failsafe, and then go on a date.

In FF4 I've got Edge and am back in the Tower. I freaking hate the Tower of Babil. The Giant is badass, but the Tower, THIS TOWER is the reason I hate all Tower dungeons in any game ever. They're long, repetitive and dumb. Whoever came up with the idea of towers is evil.

And Edge is the second most useless character in FF4 and the most useless final party member. Why do you suck so much for a Ninja, Edge?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
[Part 1 / 5] [Part 2 / 5] [Part 3 / 5] [Part 4 / 5] [Part 5 / 5]

Keep on rocking' in Midgar...

061 - 080: Skitty to Plusle

ibiSF5Z9c5myph.jpg

Rufus chucks the case out the side of the building leaving Kadaj in despair! Way to potentially screw him over, Rufus!

i4BpXDw4KnGrU.jpg
ibpv5A1Kt7Gx2U.jpg

iiVRbB1babBy6.jpg
iPuUHCSGXXnC5.jpg

Over at the battle with Bahamut, Cloud hears the phrase "I'm a Chuckster!" and proceeds to get chucked repeatedly higher by his teammates, including Aeris! It's quite a show of teamwork and strength. Though sending him straight in a massive fireball seems a dangerous form of attack.

ibnySd9pkV5OO8.jpg
iN7mSpKT4LVnw.jpg

However, he lands on the beasts back and gives it a good cleaving to finally put an end to its threat. All that time and energy to take down a single summon. For shame you guys, for shame.

i9kXywj7hW4w7.jpg
iCxZhbo3U4NBs.jpg

Kadaj is pretty irked at what just happened! He knocks Rufus from the building and goes skydiving for the container. Rufus isn't taking it flying down though as he tries shooting at the guy and the container! One shot finds its mark an causes the container to start leaking icky green stuff.

i7yGlATp6NE1U.jpg
iAMWMUReFiJyE.jpg

iD8fULMs2hPqv.jpg
ib0t5YczGTbZC9.jpg

While Reno & Rude notice their boss is in danger, Elena & Tseng are already on the job to save him. Their nets catch him safe & sound. However... Kadaj got the container!

ifMxWfczfwE5z.jpg

The evil gang speeds off on their motorcycles with Cloud in pursuit! They all go up onto an under construction highway and bust right through a sign declaring the area is for "Parsonal Only". Engrish! And so another biker battle begins! If only the Kanto Pokémon Federation coulda got in on the action~

iOvT5aJNH25y.jpg

Kadaj gets ahead of the others by taking another route, leaving Cloud to deal with Yazoo & Loz in a tunnel. Their bikes must be on rails cause they keep on going even though they jump off & back onto 'em! The craziest part is Loz stopping his bike with by planting a fist into the ground and using his legs to toss it at Cloud. Thats nuts! The baddies weapons get busted but not their spirits and they continue the chase...

ibtQYfcXfQyqp5.jpg
irhlzpR0Wh3OH.jpg

"Looks like today we're clocking out early." ? Reno & Rude use Selfdestruct just as Yazoo & Loz were about to pass by and the four of 'em go out in a huge blast...

ibvxaEsA4UGmmN.jpg
iEZqCTlpeBUnD.jpg

iXEVRkDvRuGvI.jpg

Cloud finally catches up to Kadaj and corners him inside the church full of runover flowers. Seriously what'd the flowers ever do to anyone?! In their place comes a geyser which washes away Cloud's stigma and freaks Kadaj out enough to send him running!

ib0BypuV5fNCJt.jpg

"So what if I'm a puppet. Once upon a time... you were to!" cue really flashy & speedy fight scene and a rocking &#9834; Jenova theme remix! &#9834;

i8rjJDYpuCWhS.jpg

The rest of the gang boarded Cid's new ship and flew out to help Cloud, but Vincent says Cloud can handle it alone. Shouldn't he have spoke up before they got there? It woulda prevented Cait Sith from squabbling with Yuffie and her calling Cid a sexist x_x; Tifa says Cloud's found the power he had two years ago but Barret's only giving him a 10 minute chance to do his thing before jumping in to assist!

ibmlrbeslLqZSq.jpg
imvTrIiSHRI9J.jpg

Cloud and Kadaj size each other up and the K man is the first to attack. This leaves Cloud ample opportunity to counter and knock him clean away! Kadaj loses his sword and is left hanging by one hand. He does the unthinkable of seemingly sacrificing his 'mother' by tossing the case away but used it as a chance to avoid Cloud and jump away to reclaim it. "My reunion. Bet you're dying to watch."

ibd1iqPFJQcOcG.jpg
iLhNtQ9wUEfb4.jpg

Kadaj makes a solid landing after absorbing the thing into his own body... but it's Sephiroth who defends against Cloud's attack. "Good to see you... Cloud."

i5fqxSjD8KBAZ.jpg

"What I want is to sail the darkness of the cosmos with this planet as my vessel. Just as my mother did long ago. Then one day we'll find a new planet and on its soil we'll create a shining future." So he wants ta use the planet as some kinda spaceship? Why not just steal a Shinra rocket or something instead? They gotta have much better steering & manuverability than a planet! Also I'm pretty sure Lucrecia didn't go into space.

ib1HgL1TNay5di.jpg
ivGCMoVNeVqAn.jpg

A deathstream appears an starts drenching the area but there's hope! "Is it her?" Marlene senses Aeris again!

ibmUyqGa7WCRku.jpg
ibvsuNH51BKEa9.jpg

Sephiroth slams Cloud into a building and their battle keeps right on rollin'. He asks where Cloud found the power to jump dozens of feet at a time but he ain't telling! The Shinra HQ building starts crumbling big time leaving the both of 'em slicing & dicing falling debris and each other.

isiCIpefeL2kM.jpg
ir5F6ShCoPuBA.jpg

iTcXSppYlN9rp.jpg

Alas, Sephiroth gets the upper hand and stabs Cloud just like the good ol' days. "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." ...Speaking of away, its time to post away! Next time: the maybe exciting conclusion?!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I can&#8217;t wait to finish Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream. Hold onto your butts because this game is going to get stupid as hell again. Previously on Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream, we did some sidequesting and learned about decent dungeon aesthetics and mapping. We also learned about how to break the player away from linear game design in an intelligent manner.

no, i&#8217;m not taking potshots at another game in the series why do you people keep saying that

Anyway, we&#8217;re going to do one of the worst dungeons in the game. I know I say that a lot. I said that about the Tower of Zot. I said that about the Tower of Bab-il. I said that about the Magnet Cave. Well, now I&#8217;m saying it again. I don&#8217;t find some of FF4&#8217;s dungeons very likeable.

B4OFc.gif
Land of Dwarves

7qXN6.png
UDllw.png

Let&#8217;s try to get inside.

aZkbJ.png
rgFLz.png

So, uh, I&#8217;ve always wondered what the key looked like. Is it a shiny gem? Is it an actual key on the kid&#8217;s necklace? Did the door have a keyhole or a slot to put it inside? Inquiring minds wanted to know.

4K3Ut.png
iAode.png
AZMlh.png

Ah, the key is green and it manifests itself as a bolt of lightning. Of course. Lightning&#8217;s everywhere.

CAtXz.gif
Digital Devil Saga &#8211; Man&#8217;s Tomb

n9dOe.png

The Sealed Cave sucks. I hate this place. I&#8217;m sure a lot of people do. The encounters here seem plentiful (but it&#8217;s likely because the maps are so freaking big and there are several doors to go through because you want the treasure), there are lots of forced fights if you want to enter those doors, and the dungeon is skippable (remember how I showed a glitch in a previous post? You can just enter here and get the scene you&#8217;re supposed to, and then skip the dungeon entirely).

Oh, and there are some fights in here that I don&#8217;t like.

91n3L.png
lINZr.png
5Vslf.png

CAtXz.gif
Shin Megami Tensei NINE &#8211; Battle (L Neutral)

FUCKING ZUBATS AGAIN.

They&#8217;re not Zubats, though. They&#8217;re Crobats now. Fuck Crobats, man. I can&#8217;t stand how long that Vampire/Leech animation is. Why is it so long? Why do I have to keep sitting through it? Who thought this was legitimately good attack animation design?! Final Fantasy IV does not have respect or appreciation for the player&#8217;s time. It makes the player sit through lengthy animations they don&#8217;t like when they really want to get through the game.

This is like climbing up and down Mt. Moon. Zubats all day, errryday!

Also&#8230;

M61u6.png

Almost every single (no, every single) door in this dungeon is rigged. If the dwarves rigged this cave with a bunch of Robotnik&#8217;s Deadly Speed Traps, why do we even need to bother getting the crystal? I&#8217;m sure their traps are foolproof considering Golbez didn&#8217;t break into this cave yet.

Except King Giott hasn&#8217;t grasped how much of a fuckwit Batman is so he sent him to get the crystal even though it&#8217;s well-guarded already.

EECj4.png
CY5Ex.png

CAtXz.gif
Digital Devil Saga &#8211; Hunting &#8211;Surprise Raid-

The TrapDoor#s simply try to kill off your party members one by one. They Peep at your party members&#8217; undergarments and then Disrupt everything they&#8217;re doing. So don&#8217;t let them Peep at Beer and Clair, okay? You need Beer and Clair. Even though I put Clair in the middle of the pack, she doesn&#8217;t get the first turn because her Agil stat isn&#8217;t as high as Cena&#8217;s or Tommy&#8217;s. Mostly because Tommy&#8217;s an MMA fighter and Cena&#8217;s&#8230; well, he&#8217;s John Cena. You can&#8217;t see him.

Oh, did you know you can use Beer&#8217;s Wall spell on a character who gets Peeped on and the Wall will bounce back the Disrupt attack and instantly kill the TrapDoor? Very very easy way to take it down.

Bring a lot of Lifes is all I&#8217;m saying. Generally, you can take them out in one hit with one of Clair&#8217;s summons or Tier-3 spells. If you don&#8217;t deal enough damage fast enough, it will turn into one of the monsters in the dungeon (usually a Mantcore). It&#8217;s best to fight every TrapDoor here because they give a heck of a lot of XP.

Other battles in this dungeon include:

a9jqH.png
hcIzm.png

CAtXz.gif
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne &#8211; Common Battle ~Amala Network~

HugeNagas and Screamers die easily. A few pics above there&#8217;s this VampLady, and she poses little threat as well. Mantcores use Blaze if you don&#8217;t take them down fast enough. Basically, a lot of the encounters here are very boring. The enemies aren&#8217;t that challenging outside of the TrapDoors and the dungeon boss.

i7u2h.png
K9VEt.png
bMTi7.png

I sorta want to bring attention to the dungeon design itself. It&#8217;s something I should like. It&#8217;s expansive, there are deadly traps everywhere, and it makes itself out to be a maze of sorts with the ropes and empty rooms. The ropes are interesting in that&#8230; well, you didn&#8217;t know if they were a straight line or if they went down. What&#8217;s nice about those is that there&#8217;s the animation for the character sliding (or quickly auto-walking on them), turning around, turning back around and quickly going up again if it&#8217;s a dead-end rope. I thought that was a relatively nice animation there.

Also, this place is filled with pits. If we were playing Zelda, we&#8217;d get swallowed up by the pits a lot because you can stand right on the edges there.

Finally, it&#8217;s a huge dungeon. There&#8217;s a lot of walking space around here. That&#8217;s why people get so pissed about the encounter rate around here. There&#8217;s a lot of ground to cover and because there&#8217;s a lot of ground to cover in each room, it feels like there are a ton of encounters in this dungeon.

PAB5r.png
SbT4v.png
HQC7B.png
Y4ZLZ.png

This sword is useless. Give it to Edge to throw at Zubats or something. It&#8217;s a downgrade from our Defender sword. Forget it. You could use it as a light elemental weapon but I don&#8217;t think it&#8217;s worth it.

Ecs2S.png

Did you know I had to fight another door to get to this Save Point?

N3Glu.png

The final Trap Door. This is going to be one that I&#8217;m going to draw the fight out for because this is an easy way to get a missable enemy in your Bestiary if you&#8217;re missing it in the Advance version, the DS version, and the PSP version.

jOXUH.png

Now that that&#8217;s done, let&#8217;s swipe the crystal and get out of here. I don&#8217;t know why Giott even bothered telling us to get the crystal since he set so many traps here (which were never even disarmed before we got here&#8212;it&#8217;s almost as if he were trying to kill&#8230; us&#8230; Hey! Do you guys think Giott really sent us out here to perish?)

wd0aj.png
aQrSQ.png
hydKH.png

Well, that was relatively painless. Let&#8217;s Exit out of here!

2kEXB.png

I hate everything. I guess we have to walk back.

LjEGn.png
4WZs3.png
gZlll.png

Fight&#8230; the wall?

Wait a minute! Why didn&#8217;t we do that before?! Remember? The twins got stoned while walls were coming at them. We didn&#8217;t bother to fight the walls while we were there. And now we&#8217;re fighting a wall. Batman why didn&#8217;t you have Ninjas on your side then? They&#8217;re smarter than you could ever be. And we had KARATE and a drunken Beard guy on our side to handle it back then too.

Also, I&#8217;m pretty sure Giott sent us here to die. It makes sense considering he never told us about his Deadly Speed Traps.

CAtXz.gif
Tales of Xillia 2 - Break the Time Factor!

cnAZf.png
Xz9Wt.png
6kSyv.png

When I was little, I couldn&#8217;t beat this to save my life. I thought it was the hardest boss in the game. I didn&#8217;t know what to do. I was severely underlevelled. I didn&#8217;t have Clair&#8217;s Tier-3 spells yet. I didn&#8217;t have her newer summons yet. It felt like such a triumph when I beat it.

But I&#8217;m older now so I know exactly what to do with it. And it&#8217;s very painless.

The EvilWall is a timed battle. You need to get it down before it approaches your party and crushes you. I think this is one of the more creative battles in the game, to be honest with you. The timed mechanic is very clever, and the boss changing up its attacks when it&#8217;s in your face to crush you because you didn&#8217;t finish the fight fast enough is a good way of testing the player&#8217;s ability to learn the ATB system well.

It is vulnerable to Slow, so if you&#8217;re having trouble with it, cast Slow on it. Oh, the EvilWall can counter spells with Petrify, so it&#8217;s probably better to use a Summon anyway. If you&#8217;re having more trouble, cast Fast on Clair and/or Cena. They&#8217;re the ones who are going to be winning this battle for you. Cena&#8217;s going to throw stuff at it if you feel like he should, and Clair is going use Tier-3 Black Magic or Summons. I elected to finally use a summon. Meanwhile, Tommy and Batman can&#8217;t help but to stand there and scratch the wall while Cena and Clair are owning them in terms of offensive power.

The DS version of this battle feels more like a slog because it has 99999 HP, where in this version and other versions it only has 28K. Speed spells and other buffs were my assets in that version.

CAtXz.gif
Digital Devil Saga &#8211; Man&#8217;s Tomb

2kEXB.png

Oh. You know why else I hate this dungeon? I can&#8217;t Exit. So we&#8217;re going to walk through this cave again. Man I hope we don&#8217;t encounter any tro&#8212;

Yx48C.png
ug1SF.png

Go to hell, assholes! I hate you!

aR3rL.png

Oh thank goodness.

Pc5XE.png

Tommy&#8217;s so damn happy to get the hell out of here that he took all of his clothes off. What a guy, eh?!

Gis75.png
CCelx.png

B4OFc.gif
Golbez, Clad in Darkness

GAF, if you didn&#8217;t see this coming by now, I don&#8217;t know what to say. Batman always, always, tries to find a way to fuck up and extend the game. What&#8217;s going to happen this time? Let&#8217;s watch!

Golbez is going to find some way to steal the crystal again, isn&#8217;t he?

hOa1k.png
iDw8E.png
492wd.png

Tommy&#8217;s not going to fall for that shit again.

5Mjkt.png

Of course he&#8217;s going to listen to you. Who knows what he did to you while he and Golbez held the Beer Keg in captivity.

FZw66.png

Alright, let&#8217;s just get the hell outta he&#8212;

PYvEi.png
eOjSy.png
9sY24.png

I AM SHOCKED

Haha. Batman got punched in the face or stomach. He deserves it.

RogyW.png

He&#8217;s turning heel, duh. You&#8217;ve been in the WWE for how long, now?

RyDc3.png
iw7KB.png
MgGPx.png

Again with this &#8216;go to the moon&#8217; garbage. Wait, no one ever explained what the Tower of Bab-il was even for. Is it this giant computer which&#8230; somehow opens a stairway to the moon? How? What is it, really? Why are significant details like this being left out all of a sudden?

No, I can&#8217;t accept this at face value. I don&#8217;t like how the game is treating me like I&#8217;m a fucking moron. It&#8217;s been doing that ever since Batman became a Paladin.

UTBwS.png

Even when he&#8217;s not even present, Golbez wins. Has anyone been keeping count on this? I swear that there hasn&#8217;t been a single time Batman and his party won anything and Golbez always won.

Batman sucks. How many times has this game proven to you that Batman is terrible? Even with the power of Light, he&#8217;s terrible. He seemed to get more done when he was a DKnight.

Ywo4q.png

Hey, look. I just got a random encounter right as I stepped towards my airship. Perfect timing!

JP6Jr.png
grJFH.png

We can&#8217;t even go in there anymore.

Welp. We&#8217;re screwed.

Time to tell Giott we&#8217;ve fucked up for the millionth time.

Next Time: Free Willzyx!

CorvoSol

CRAP CRAP CRAP DARK SCHALA I'M SO CLOSE I CAN TASTE IT.

I WILL LAP YOU I WILL I WILL I WILL.

Except Rosa not knowing float is totally slowing me down.

Anyway, in FF7 there was a date and Aerith flat out told Cloud that he looks and acts EXACTLY LIKE HER LAST BOYFRIEND and CLOUD DOES NOT MAKE ANY CONNECTION.

So basically, at this point, no one can save Cloud.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aha. I think you'll catch up. I have my hands tied until Thursday, unfortunately.

I'm kind of surprised that I didn't grasp how crappy of a leader Cecil is until now. I knew I didn't like him much, but typing all of these entries up has opened my eyes. :lol

CorvoSol

Aha. I think you'll catch up. I have my hands tied until Thursday, unfortunately.

I'm kind of surprised that I didn't grasp how crappy of a leader Cecil is until now. I knew I didn't like him much, but typing all of these entries up has opened my eyes. :lol

Cecil is the Reed Richards of Final Fantasy. He can't help that his villain outclasses him on so many different levels. Golbez should've won, man. He had everything lined up from the beginning.

And Cecil is still cooler than Edge.

Is it me or Balthier is completely broken in FFT PSP?
It is like Orlandu wasn't enough lol

Balthier is arguably than Orlandu. I could make cases for both characters, honestly.

Speaking of Tactics, I may have some time to get some more updates posted, but school is kicking my ass already even over break.

CorvoSol

Is it me or Balthier is completely broken in FFT PSP?
It is like Orlandu wasn't enough lol

Balthier is possibly more broken than Orlandeau, yes. I mean, I like to look at them as Balthier being a Real Robot and Orlandeau is a Super Robot.

Balthier can cover greater distance and hit more times and waste the enemies thus (4 hits a turn is obscene.), but Orlandeau does more damage and can take hits better, not that it really matters.

Between the two of them, though, the game is sorely lacking in challenges.

FF4TCC: So I've made it to the Feymarch, but DAMN, at level 38, my butt is STILL getting kicked here. Edge is worthless, dying faster than Rydia, and Rosa has to literally spam Curaga some fights. Kain's jump is such a hilarious waste of time in non-boss-fights (5 enemies and Cecil STILL kills them before Kain can even Jump.).

To be entirely honest, Cecil, Rosa, and Rydia are carrying this team, and if Rydia didn't have Cockatrice, she'd be as worthless as the others. Cecil and Rosa may not be Squall and Rinoa, or Zidane and Garnet or Tidus and Yuna, but to be entirely honest, their love is just about all that's keeping this worthless bunch of badasses alive.

FF7: I don't know how to articulate this, but there's too much to do in this game. I was gonna go and do Fort Condor, but then I decided I didn't give a damn, and I don't know that I need the Phoenix Materia anyway. I wanted to 100% the game, but honestly, with school work, I just don't care enough to waste time on some stupid tower-defense mini-game that eats up my precious funds.

Anyway, I'm in the Temple of Ancients, and about to bid farewell to the last vestige of Zack's tenure. After the date, there is no reason why nobody, Cloud included, doesn't realize or doesn't click the what's wrong with all of this. Of further note: Aerith mentions that she's known Tseng since they were children, which would be consistent with Crisis Core's younger Tseng, but not consistent with the adult Tseng we see in Elmyra's flashback. Oh, and in spite of what Cait Sith is up to, I still hate Yuffie the most. Wutai was dumb, took too long, and only made me wish Shin-Ra had razed that hell-hole to the ground and removed this stupid, sticky-fingered good for nothing, annoying punk-ass before she'd come along and bothered Cloud and company.

In other words, running around that stupid town without my materia was annoying as hell.

Bladenic

Finally going to beat Final Fantasy Dimensions. Played it like 40 hours first week it was out but I guess I got burnt out. Picked it up again two days ago, pretty sure I'm right at the end. Great throwback RPG, a little too long though.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
[Part 1 / 5] [Part 2 / 5] [Part 3 / 5] [Part 4 / 5] [Part 5 / 5]

All Clear! Now its time for someone (not me!) to do Spirits Within & Unlimited!

081 - 101: Minun to Numel

ibkayMxG7DZKc7.jpg

"There's not a thing I don't cherish." nice answer Cloud!

ibyaDKNxJkOoxw.jpg
iDaOgLv4dSiRw.jpg

ibi3b8vNctvVlu.jpg

Sephiroth's super suprised by Cloud's multi-blade attack! Its not quite an unlimited number of blades but makes for an impressive new Limit Break(?) anyway! "Stay where you belong. In my memories." "I will never be a memory." well screw you buddy!

ibcucCXrEreP7G.jpg
ibnVXamdBsza7r.jpg

That ugly wing of Sephiroth's wraps around his body then fades away revealing a weakened an defeated Kadaj.

iEwd5rOsTUSsk.jpg
i8ZpvnVyZloWQ.jpg

ipx2hrQ3YwzeW.jpg

Course he tries to launch an attack but it totally fizzles out. Then he hears Aeris calling out to him "Kadaj. You don't have to hang on any longer." no Kadaj, she's def not your mother. He reaches out an fades away into lifestream~

iM7DGOw8MXmyA.jpg
iS1wH46nFtOUn.jpg

The purifying rain douses the whole town, cleansing everyone sick with the geostigma from kids to presidents an all between! ...And Reno & Rude aren't blown up in the least, so there's that to.

i0hdvYIT6v3Mh.jpg
i9ljtWn2bvxeQ.jpg

On Cid's airship the party all celebrates Cloud's victory and head in ta pick him up!

iMf3w1s28tkLi.jpg
iJPeBWdRFPTUp.jpg

ib1hXu4iLr3n7x.jpg

WTF???? Cloud's suddenly shot from behind by Yazoo... "We'll go together." wtf?! "Together. We'll play." Loz to??

i8WWDjbt8gxdV.jpg
icxgz7eEYX8PW.jpg

iL2MWzHhzLI4B.jpg
iMNI4KcLWQ6wB.jpg

Cloud is rightfully pissed and leaps straight into an attack... *BOOM*

i2Nf46uPg6ch.jpg

"He'll come back. He said that he would." keep that hope alive Denzel ;_;

iuzffhJQo4IIC.jpg

Floating in nothingness a hand reaches out ta feel Cloud's head an even he's like "Mother?" This movie totally has mommy issues! Aeris asks why everyones calling her their mom lately which is a good question since she never got to be one... >_<

Zack: "I guess they must be fond of you."
Aeris: "This ones a little to big to adopt."
Zack: "Tough luck friend. Sounds like you don't have a place here."

Ouch. Rejected by a near death experience!

ib2plsYM3Z58EJ.jpg

WOLF! I knew it! I knew that thing was real! This pic is proof of it!!

iGYAgt4NvlUd3.jpg

Cloud awakens in the watery remains of the church surrounded by lotsa peoples! Welcome back Cloud!

iPjkOZl0j4hdD.jpg
iWOVkq67WZuHR.jpg

Red XIII says there's still kids with the stigma, such as Denzel for instance. A heroes work is never done...

iHVZNNT0747J3.jpg

Cid's all like "Last one in's a rotten egg!" and ya know kids, they won't take a challenge like that sitting down so everyone jumps in the water surrounding Cloud, getting healed, being happyness! However... Cloud spots some people over by the churches entrance...

ivfiKmuMUmGJg.jpg
ib01ANGXIhGz2m.jpg

"You see. Everything's alright." bye bye again... Aeris, Zack... ;_;

Cloud: "I know. I'm not alone. Not any more."

i3xsXTcwou4z.jpg
iPHL2FfLy6Kc0.jpg

ibcY7n8OAF0RZE.jpg
i7IouZXDMk878.jpg

Then we get the credits with some nice accompanying music. The second part of 'em shows Cloud zipping around from place to place on his bike, prolly off on another delivery! Strangely amongst the credits I spotted GAFs favorite XSeed getting a shoutout for being "special coordinators" whatever that means! Maybe they were in charge of some sorta grand festival. Lastly, thanks to all fans of Final Fantasy! See? I just knew even though this wasn't a game it'd fit the thread just fine!

iDqOJxrWCRCYP.jpg

An naturally there's a post-credits scene! Here's to old friends an new memories~

.....phew! Finally finished! I covered alls that I could as seen in the checklist below!

[x] Advent Children
[-] Before Crisis
[x] Crisis Core
[x] Ergheiz Championship
[x] Final Fantasy VII Complete

Shame about BC and that the compilation never made it up to Universal Century but whats done is done!

Huh?

ipBqNc956zEdF.jpg

???

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I suppose I should say to get ready for a few big updates, then. I've decided to cover glitches in the next one + sidequests + going to the moon. Haha.

I'm at Bahamut now.
Also, I'm female. ;)

Heropon

I should post the last updates of Final Fantasy X-2 one of this days, but I'm pretty busy betraying this franchise with Persona... What to do?

CorvoSol

I suppose I should say to get ready for a few big updates, then. I've decided to cover glitches in the next one + sidequests + going to the moon. Haha.

I'm at Bahamut now.
Also, I'm female. ;)

Well screw me I'll never catch up now, hahaha.

I honestly thought you were female, but I always refer to people of unspecified gender as male. Sorry :)

Broke my knees here, yo. BROKE 'EM.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Don't worry about the gender thing, really. GAF's mostly male, so it happens often.

Batman&#8217;s dying dream needs to come to an end. Today isn&#8217;t that day yet. Last time on Dragon Ball Z Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream, Batman predictably fucked up yet again and we need to go to jail now. I want to finish this off this weekend so I&#8217;m going to ignore Tales of Xillia 2, Persona 4: Golden, and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed to get this done. *grumble grumble* Sacrifices must be made.

Today we&#8217;re actually going to get some sidequesting done. It isn&#8217;t explicitly stated to the player, but you can do extra quests in this section, partially because a lot of the sidequests you started in the Underground are half-completed. You need to finish off the other half in the overworld. And I think that&#8217;s a really nice way to link up the significance of both worlds design-wise. None of the world maps are isolated from each other because of this.

First, we&#8217;re going to drag our asses to King Giott and tell him we&#8217;re fuckups because Batman sucks at his job.

B4OFc.gif
Giott, the King of Dwarves

7nv9N.png
ptJyl.png

Oh your highness, you see, we&#8217;re terrible at our jobs. I am unfit to rule Baron and I will never understand why people want me to rule the country outside of the fact we&#8217;re in my dream world, but even in my dreams, I&#8217;m a failure.

1coP3.png

&#8230;why isn&#8217;t he even angry? We&#8217;ve screwed up several times and now the world is doomed. I think he&#8217;s delusional.

TglYL.png
bQJss.png

He really is delusional. He&#8217;s falling back on a legend about Willxyz (the whale from the moon on South Park).

eAfoG.png
olaPH.png

Mysidia is a thing? I thought it only existed in Final Fantasy II! The real Final Fantasy II! :O

jnnuX.png

This dream just got stupid. Now we&#8217;re talking about summoning whales. Bismarck isn&#8217;t in this Final Fantasy, you fools.

X35Rf.png
hAcPk.png
Jnovz.png

B4OFc.gif
Hey Cid!

He&#8217;s not dead?!

DDYHG.png
a7jl2.png
WytYZ.png
ZXlgm.png

Man, you know that Haddock&#8217;s been sitting around on an airship redesign that involved attaching a huge fucking drill to the end of one just for the sake of being a drillship.

Boy I wish I could post an entire gif of this. But this is my favourite airship remodel scene so far, so it deserves a video.

Haddock&#8217;s Airship Remodel feat. John Cena Trying to Get Some Girls

This isn&#8217;t mine because it didn&#8217;t cross my mind to record it with bandicam or anything, but screenshots cannot do this scene justice at all.

I love this cutscene. You don&#8217;t have any dialogue, but the animations say exactly what the heck is going on or gives the player a hint as to what&#8217;s being said between the characters. This is where the better character interaction in FF4 comes from. Not through the dumb dialogue, not through 200 hours of rendering the best CG animations, no&#8230; we get little sprite animations that make us laugh.

I miss this shit in RPGs. You don&#8217;t get this anymore. FF&#8217;s CG at present doesn&#8217;t strike a chord with me at all because they give me very little to give a fuck about. They&#8217;re always about making things look cool rather than making things be memorable. The only CG cutscenes in Final Fantasy that are successful at this were: the Sending scene, the Ending scene in FFX, and the 1000 Words cutscene. Otherwise, I don&#8217;t care about them at all.

VuCZQ.png
A7hMh.png

Welp, he&#8217;s dead now.

9CAbv.png
3DGhK.png
af4C5.png
K5AUZ.png

Finally, Haddock realizes that he&#8217;s an old man and that he needs to pass the torch on. Also, Cena, you&#8217;re not even wearing a hat, man. I wouldn&#8217;t trust Cena with Beer and Batman because Cena&#8230; kinda&#8230; well, he&#8217;s not that great at the moment.

9EUH7.png
J5sjp.png

Oh God, don&#8217;t tell Batman that! He&#8217;s going to run the Falcon into the ground if you tell him that considering he made you blow yourself to pieces. Batman&#8217;s essentially a fucking sociopath.

DXYtv.png

This is what our new Airship looks like. It has this big ol&#8217; drill attached to it now! Time to drill baby drill. Or something.

negJP.png
LTue2.png
vRMQ7.png

Lawful good. I know we probably killed a ton of people, but Batman doesn&#8217;t care about this, right?

Now it&#8217;s time to finish up some sidequests we started in the Sonic Underground. First, to Fabul.

W1l41.png
YmHOM.png
5mSLf.png
w6Vsq.png

Aw. This is why Donnie&#8217;s wife is one of the best NPCs in this game. She&#8217;s all sensitive, but at the same time, her solution to everything is kitchenware with a mix of KARATE. She gives us a frying pan to hit Donnie with. No wonder he&#8217;s so disciplined, eh?

Next, south of Fabul to the Adamant Grotto. Oh, and I love how I have to switch Airships for this because there&#8217;s a hook on the other one. Oh, uh, did you know you could bring the Enterprise + Hovercraft to the underworld, and if you ride the Hovercraft down there it&#8217;ll play the Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV? Well, you can.

wVsbL.png
nRXGs.png
cTRu4.png
gcIQ5.png

I like using the Falcon more than the Enterprise. The Falcon has a drill and the animation for it is cool. Now we exchanged the Rat&#8217;s Tail for the Adamant. I wonder what we&#8217;re going to do with it!

Next. Baron.

Xghyu.png
vvaNC.png

Remember? The old king told us to come back here after we beat up Queen Asura and King Leviatan.

6TrLy.png
VRe8F.png

Haven&#8217;t we been tested enough?!

eEfCF.png
OQma1.png
3rjUb.png

CAtXz.gif
Final Fantasy X &#8211; Summoned Beast Battle

The king is really the spirit of Odin. Or something. I forgot. I don&#8217;t care. No one cares. If you read the book in the Land of Monsters Library, you&#8217;ll know that Odin is weak against Electricity. We don&#8217;t have a Raichu or Pikachu on-hand, so we&#8217;ve gotta use Clair and Cena to fill that void.

This fight is timed. You should have Lit-3 by now. You could use Indra, but that would take longer to cast than a Lit-3. If you get rid of Odin before he uses the attack called &#8220;Odin&#8221;, you get him as a summon. You&#8217;ll know he&#8217;s about to use it when he raises his sword.

If you don&#8217;t get rid of him, he&#8217;ll kill you.

Cast Slow on him, cast Fast on Clair, Blitz with Cena, and Lit-3 with Clair. Done. You could set the battle difficulty down to 5 or 6 but I think that&#8217;s kind of overkill, lol. Plus it makes battles painfully slow as hell and you might forget to turn it back up. I did this battle on Battle Speed 3 but put it back to 1.

Right. Next up is Kokkol&#8217;s Smithy.

qJhJK.png
My9S0.png
oSizB.png
YOW7T.png

Apparently the Adamantium is the equivalent of cocaine so the guy wants to get working on it right away. He steals our Legend sword (so we no longer have the power of Light, right?) and he wants to work on it to make it better. But we can&#8217;t get our evolved sword until we experience more Plot. We&#8217;ll come back later for it. (Yes I know you can spend time at an Inn to get it right after, but let's pretend I'm playing this for the first time, alright?)

Now we have to go back to the Sylvan Cave. Again. I&#8217;m so sorry.

yAm5i.png
LIehP.png
A3QTJ.png
vcRuB.png

Hey, Sylphs. This is how we treat our coma patients in the Upper World, ya got that?!

Zz4az.png
EOWN1.png
il9dc.png
QAdxV.png

Oh, you know Batman wants Donnie to come with us so he can make Donnie kill himself a few more times for the Greater Good.

1CTFA.png
Pigdh.png

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Guys, guys. Let&#8217;s laugh at this insane shit right here.

WGs52.gif

Give me a break, Cena. Cena sucks.

DSrXQ.png
Ei8MK.png

And that is how we became friends with Navi the Fairy. At least they&#8217;re not going to pester us with HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN. There&#8217;s a glitch associated with the Sylph spell, but I won&#8217;t get into it in this update.

Let&#8217;s give the Pan back.

upsnv.png
fwInG.png
9HjVm.png
UbDQY.png

This is why I always call the knife a spoon. It&#8217;s a spoon, dammit. It&#8217;s more hilarious this way! You call that a knife? This is a knife!

Glitches! Glitches! I love them glitches!

And now, we have an intermission. I promised I&#8217;d show off some glitches when I started this thing, so let&#8217;s show off a few.

CAtXz.gif
Persona Music Live Band - Soul Drive

First of all, I&#8217;ll demonstrate the Item Duplication Glitch. Almost everyone who&#8217;s played Final Fantasy IV SNES knows about this glitch. It&#8217;s an easy way to get dart stuff for Cena, and also an easy way to rack up a lot of money.

So basically, what you do is&#8230;

WZIUM.png

Double-select an empty slot on your item menu and put the weapon there. Then kill everything or run away.

Next:

b5BuH.png
5AfEV.png

Re-equip it, but you should see something peculiar. Two weapons, how could this be? It&#8217;s too bad your attack value isn&#8217;t doubled this way so you can only have one equipped.

Let&#8217;s do that again. This time, with the Light sword.

yShxv.png
OPcTr.png

Again, double-select the empty space. Unequip your item. Once you finish your battle, re-equip the weapon.

mv7P2.png
yBbxW.png

You should have two now.

Not hard, right? We did it for Cena for him to get two Ninja swords.

Next up we have the Infinite Weapons/255 Anything Glitch. It&#8217;s similar to the Duplicate glitch, but this is an assured way of getting 255 of weapons for Dart fodder or selling crap. There are several ways of carrying this glitch out but doing it with Batman is the easiest way of doing it.

iUo8K.png

Equip Batman with a Bow and Arrows. The Bow must be in his left hand.

8phOo.png

Get into a battle. Make everyone else defend. Do not let anyone else take enemies out. Select the arrows and put them into an empty slot.

Next:

wI0Ia.png
V53MW.png

Exchange the Bow with the Avenger sword.

wl08K.png

Make Batman kill everything. Exit battle.

KNL5O.png
A0P8C.png
IaH8i.png

Oh my. I must have Missingno&#8217;d the game. Where the hell do I get my Rare Candies?! :D

How did this happen? Unequip the Avenger and equip whatever weapon Batman can use into his Right hand. I chose to equip the Defense Sword. Now unequip it.

We now have 255 of the Defense Sword.

7HjH7.png

And this is how Cena becomes useful. Cena&#8217;s best command is the Dart Command. When we get Batman&#8217;s new sword back, that&#8217;s when we can put this cheat to good use.

I&#8217;ll demonstrate another glitch in another entry. It&#8217;s one I talked about before but didn&#8217;t have an opportunity to carry it out. Actually, there was another one I mentioned in this very entry that I have yet to demonstrate. Next time. Back to the program.

Ah, did you know FF4 has its equivalent to the Island of Heaven/Hell only with not good experience but you can farm all the Ether1s you want from here via the Sneak skill?

cDOCy.png
19XKV.png
86sFA.png
aw8Ao.png

You won&#8217;t see some of these enemies anywhere else. If you want to fill up your Bestiary in other versions of the game, it&#8217;s beneficial to come here.

Back to the Story

nCry8.png
g3cwh.png

B4OFc.gif
The Prelude

I thought it was the House of Prayer! And we&#8217;ve been over how much better the original legend translation is than the DS &#8230; whatever the hell the DS one is. That one sucks.

0YfqC.png
w2or6.png

We&#8217;re going to make the legend come true via wishing.
Okay.

Suddenly the screen flashes me with Skittles and turns into all the colours of the rainbow until&#8230;

uj2Q1.png
Pkbyl.png
RqlyK.png

No way. Did we just summon Leviatan again?

A7s2H.png
dSvfi.png
YkRWN.png

What the hell is that!

Who parked that there?!

0OQRD.png
i6n24.png

B4OFc.gif
Lunar Whale

J63sk.png
TIfoM.png
Bp5JJ.png

Nope. I don&#8217;t even know to say anymore. Why.

I&#8217;m kind of torn, because the game goes out of its way to make this scene look like the most epic thing imaginable. You&#8217;ve worked hard for it, it&#8217;s playing this triumphant music with synth orchestration, and it&#8217;s a multicoloured airship. The one you just got with a drill attached is nothing compared to this.

But why would something far more technologically-advanced looking be here? We&#8217;re just learning about aerospace engineering and only one country has airships. What&#8217;s going on? Nothing about this makes any sense whatsoever.

0OACE.png
ZXax5.png
0NPB2.png
3xcVK.png

Well, let&#8217;s go. Now the Elder&#8217;s spouting nonsense about hearing voices.

Everyone on this planet needs to go to a mental institution. And &#8220;while wishing&#8221;? This censorship thing is really bullshit. It breaks up the flow of dialogue a lot.

Ifo18.png

The Big Whale is so fucking big it needs its own map screen! How is something so technologically-advanced at the bottom of the ocean here? It looks like the Tower of Bab-il. Is it Golbez&#8217;s Underwater Love Shack? Only he would have the cash to develop something as cool as this.

w9HVi.png
j48gr.png

This airship&#8230; spacehip&#8230; has revitalization pods which heal you up, but you&#8217;ll still be hungry. And a robotic Fat Chocobo to eat up your useless items.

IVDQU.png
1c5s7.png
1c5s7.png

If you touch the white thing, you can fly the ship around without changing maps.

If you touch the crystal, you will change maps. We&#8217;re going to touch the crystal. We&#8217;ve done everything we can now.

bYPmy.png

You&#8217;ll notice that the Big Whale flies really high, probably at a higher altitude than the normal airships. Plus it&#8217;s too big to go into the hole you just made and killed a bunch of people living in the mountains near Agart.

But what happens next blew my mind when I was little. I can&#8217;t gif it but oh man it&#8217;s amazing.

j0oDu.png
ZLuMC.png
LvPDG.png
k7VXP.png

Holy shit! Do you see how amazing this is? This is way cooler than CG or whatever. This is the power of Mode Fucking Seven. It shows you that you&#8217;re going to a new map, a new world, and a brand new level of gameplay.

You&#8217;re in space. You&#8217;re seeing the Earth and Moon and you&#8217;re sevening out of the Earth and sevening into the Moon.

I don&#8217;t care if this part of the story is bullshit at the moment, but this is one of the best parts in the game alone. No dialogue saying &#8220;Oh, I wonder what&#8217;s up ahead!&#8221; or your party members engaging in conversation. Nothing asinine like that. You just have a cutscene showing you what&#8217;s going on in your environment and it works.

Bravo.

ZKoIj.png

Now back to the bullshit. I wonder what&#8217;s in store for us here?

Next Time: Santa Claus is Coming to Town on Rudolph the Nuking Dragon

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A few posts up, we got our Giant Whale and got to go to the moon in spectacular fashion! I feel like I was too positive during that update, lol.

Today, we&#8217;re going to be astronauts! Oh, and I hope you guys love exposition dumps. They&#8217;re your favourite, right?

B4OFc.gif
Lunar Whale

gBYzP.png

Let&#8217;s look for some ground we can land on. It&#8217;s covered in craters. Ah, here&#8217;s a good place.

qa70N.png
uLklB.png

Um.

i70iy.png
A5B4m.png

&#8230;Namingways are supposed to be bunnies, right? FF4&#8217;s taking this moon thing a bit too far. What&#8217;s a Humingway? A Human Way? Praise be to Character Limits.

YIrwF.png

I thought this guy wanted to change my name. The proper translation of that would probably be, &#8220;Change your name? What do you mean?&#8221; because they&#8217;re Hummingways, not Namingways.

3fpZs.png

This is a Namingway.

6vEde.png

Whooooa, look at all this endgame merchandise. They&#8217;ve got some good stuff here, but it&#8217;s expensive. They&#8217;re just as bad as Fox and Igor in Persona 4 because they expect me to give them all of my yens.

We have a new inventory item: the Whistle. It allows you to call the Fat Chocobo any time you want to get stuff or to store things. It isn&#8217;t necessary now, but having one or two around for the final dungeon isn&#8217;t bad.

utvEx.png
TVA3k.png

The moon has faces and eyes and this is just creepy as hell.

Zjhi8.png

Can&#8217;t even land here. It&#8217;s obvious that this is where you&#8217;re supposed to go because it&#8217;s the only building around here. So, I guess we have to take the long way around.

Q4y0d.png

B4OFc.gif
Another Moon

Welcome to the Moon, Final Fantasy-GAF. The map isn&#8217;t all that big and there aren&#8217;t a lot of places to go. I&#8217;ll admit that when I was little and first came to this area, I was floored by how good the atmosphere was. I have a rather vivid account of it. I was up really late, past 12 AM (I was, like, 6-7? So, unorthodox, but my dad was working late and I wanted to stay up somehow). But anyway, everything about the map, the tilesets, the colour, and the music made for an intense atmosphere and I ended up loving everything about it.

It&#8217;s&#8230; uh, you know you find some sort of quality that you love about a game so much that it makes you tear up? It was kind of like that. Now we&#8217;ve got the embarrassing stuff out of the way, eh? We&#8217;re never going to talk about this ever again.

When you look at the Moon map, you&#8217;ll notice a few structures and landscapes that you aren&#8217;t able to directly land on. Therefore, you need to park your Whale further away from your destination and try to get there on foot. The music and the colourization of the place makes it seem like an incredibly hostile, alien place. The BGM is a stark contrast from the other map themes we&#8217;ve heard in the game, heck, it doesn&#8217;t sound like a lot of the other stuff in the game, does it? We have synth trumpets, moving octaves, and synth strings creating an ethereal feel to the piece. It&#8217;s a bit of an experiment on Uematsu&#8217;s part and it works.

By the way, no&#8230; I have no clue how anyone is breathing right now.

kvmiZ.png

B4OFc.gif
The Lunarians

Lunar Paths are boring as heck because they&#8217;re basically corridors which only split for you to find treasure, and the only thing you do in them is fight enemies.

&#8230;why does that sound so familiar&#8230;

Ocugb.png
HEvPq.png
XYfEb.png

CAtXz.gif
Sora no Kiseki The 3rd &#8211; Determination of Fight

You know how there was this massive difficulty spike after you left Baron with your airship to find stuff, or when you had to go to the Tower of Bab-il? This is another one of those difficulty spikes. It works well with the Moon being portrayed as a hostile environment, and leaves the player asking him/herself whether he/she is supposed to be here yet. The enemies hit hard and they seem to hit fast.

Prokaryotes and&#8230; whatever the heck those other things are&#8230; I&#8217;m going to guess they&#8217;re Eukaryotes because Juclyote isn&#8217;t even a word&#8230; Anyway, they hit you and they can inflict poison on you. It gets pretty annoying. I know what they did&#8230; they turned &#12518;&#12459;&#12522;&#12519;&#12540;&#12486; into Ju-cly-ote (as in &#8220;you-kli-ote&#8221;). They needed more EvoBio majors on this thing. And they haven&#8217;t specified what kind of Eukaryote it is. And how the hell is that Prokaryote so darn huge? It&#8217;s supposed to be 750 micrometres at the most! Inconsistencies.

Puddings pose little threat. Just hit them with magic. Grenades and Balloons are bombs, which means take them out before they blow you to bits. You don&#8217;t have Haddock in your party to take the abuse.

I did not encounter Red Worms here. Red Worms are like Zubats. They like using Vampire on you. I&#8217;m glad I didn&#8217;t encounter any. I didn&#8217;t encounter any MoonCells either.

G7UhE.png
UE7Tg.png

B4OFc.gif
The Lunarians

Again, this one is a huge corridor of nothing. It&#8217;s so boring. All you do is walk around here and fight. :p

E1ddQ.png

This is where we&#8217;re supposed to go. Yes, it does look like a final dungeon.

EdLPC.png
MILfi.png

B4OFc.gif
The Prelude

Welcome to Lunar&#8217;s Lair. It&#8217;s important because the Prelude starts playing. You can also heal up after your long ordeal (so if you used a Cabin or Tent outside, you wasted one!).

QoK80.png
8TqQl.png
vflWe.png

Hey guys I heard you liked exposition dumps. Here&#8217;s a loooong one.

AswEy.png
pljuV.png

Ah, we&#8217;ve encountered a mop. Or Santa. I can&#8217;t tell. He has a weird name with lots of capital letters, but whatever works for him.

Also, there&#8217;s a grammatical/semantic error here. Based on what FuSoYa said, it seems as though he&#8217;s guarding one person named &#8220;Lunarian&#8221; (because he&#8217;s missing the article &#8220;the&#8221;). Therefore, the next phrase could be interpreted as asking who that one person is.

yPiRI.png
ehaiR.png
zHpJq.png

And this is how the Asteroid Belt was created. Don&#8217;t bullshit me, Final Fantasy IV. Any child who&#8217;s read an astronomy book before will know that that hypothesis fell out of favour since the 1800s when it was first proposed.

Batman&#8217;s an idiot so he hasn&#8217;t studied astronomy, so he doesn&#8217;t know what &#8220;the Blue Planet&#8221; is even though that&#8217;s what a lot of astronomy books I read when I was little called Earth.

&#8230;when I was little, I loved astronomy and even had my own telescope. >_<

GILv1.png
ud1J6.png

Something about this doesn&#8217;t sit right with me. So&#8230; if people on Earth (why is this not capitalized in the game&#8217;s text considering it&#8217;s a place of note?) were steadily evolving at the time when the Lunarians tried to make contact with them, then wouldn&#8217;t that have been almost two million years ago (or even just 600K years ago?). How long ago did you guys come here? How stupid were the humans?

I mean, while we&#8217;re applying real-world astronomy to the world of FF4, why shouldn&#8217;t we apply real-world evolutionary biology?

05ghz.png

Oh, Cena has decided to join the conversation. You&#8217;re a little late to it considering Beer&#8217;s already asked that question.

sos5S.png
2iLmd.png
2gbrU.png
B38QF.png

Who? What? When? Where? Why? Why are you two (Cena and Clair) asking these irrelevant questions? Did Cena just realize that the rest of his buddies are talking to a magical mop?

Also, surprise! Our real enemy isn&#8217;t Golbez. It&#8217;s Zemus. Golbez&#8217;s plans weren&#8217;t really his plans. They were Zemus&#8217;s plans. But who cares, right? It was Golbez who did all of the planning anyway because he had to find a way to carry out Zemus&#8217;s intentions.

Plus the planet&#8217;s already doomed, meaning that Zemus and Golbez won.

6ExlH.png
8CPRm.png
Fs4oZ.png

So basically KluYa is the Haddock of the Lunarians. &#8230;Haddock has this huge mass of beard. FuSoYa is a fucking mop.

How much body hair does KluYa have?!

fpyVA.png
XIxGH.png

B4OFc.gif
The Lunarians

Oh lawd, we know what&#8217;s coming&#8230;

8BJSv.png
7eSoe.png

Of fucking course Batman is special. This is what the dream led up to, right? Batman&#8217;s so special. His dream makes it so. He&#8217;s the son of this amazingly-smart individual and some woman. He&#8217;s half-alien (and Beer probably digs that). He&#8217;s a unique snowflake. He alone is special. So special.

Then why is Batman so stupid? Why is he such a screwup? *shrug*

I'm not even surprised by what nonsense the game is throwing at me anymore. Batman's a half-alien! He's supposed to be the next King of Baron! He has the power of Light! Everyone adores him! Ugh.

yMytj.png
UFrkC.png
vS0Vf.png

Yes, he was Queen Serenity from the Moon Kingdom. You were the Princess of the Moon and you fell in love with Prince Endymion but it was a forbidden love. He died protecting you and then you committed suicide. Both of you got reincarnated later on.

rE1tg.png
v2eox.png
SQM45.png
2IJ6t.png

How does FuSoYa know what an Eblan is?

Ok. FuSoYa is the final person who forces his way into your party.

qGegl.png
fQBNA.png
1mifA.png
kFE80.png

This is FuSoYa. He&#8217;s not that great. He can&#8217;t hit worth a damn. His defense sucks. He&#8217;s slow as hell.

FuSoYa can use both White and Black magic. He has spells that Abe never even got, and spells that Clair and Beer don&#8217;t even have yet. But in the end, Clair and Beer are superior at those class magics that FuSoYa is essentially relegated to being an extra punching bag or support. FuSoYa gets more magic power than Abe ever does so he can cast Meteo without dying (shit, and FuSoYa must be even older than Abe).

The problem with FuSoYa&#8217;s Meteo is that he takes forever to cast it. It&#8217;s ridiculous. You could wipe out an entire group before he even casts it.

fcpID.png

FuSoYa kind of sucks. Look at this shitty damage.

He never got a Nintendo Power portrait either.

QTOhA.png

A screen up, we get to speak to the Epopts of the Moon the 8 sages of the moon the 8 crystals of the Moon. They say lots of crap.

We are the crystals of the moon.

The Lunarians are sleeping deep under the ground here and FuSoYa is guarding the ones who are asleep.

Zemus is a dreadful man. His evil mind does not sleep even when his body is sealed deep under the ground.

We, the eight crystals of the moon [they&#8217;re missing a comma here] are confining Zemus.

Zemus used Golbez to gather the crystals and increased their powers with the Tower of Bab-il.

Zemus has set up a field from within to block the paths to the core.

From the center of this floor, there runs a path that leads to Zemus&#8217; core but it&#8217;s shielded now.

This moon is maintained by the balance with the eight crystals on your Blue planet.
Yawners. This is a summary of what FuSoYa just told you. Let&#8217;s review:

The Lunarians left their exploding Planet Vegeta and decided that they wanted to come to Earth instead but Goku said no and killed them all. But instead, they thought that the Humans living on Earth were too stupid and unsophisticated to hang out with them. They decided to build their own planet or something and wait for the Humans to discover fire and stop scratching their behinds or some shit.

Then Zemus, who&#8217;s like Frieza or something, was all like, &#8220;hey, I don&#8217;t wanna sleep. Let me build this massive tower that can glow and do some cool crystal shit. We can just kill them off and have the planet all to ourselves.&#8221; And then the other guys were all like, &#8220;Fuck no what the fuck is wrong with you.&#8221;

Then this guy named KluYa who&#8217;s basically Goku was all like, &#8220;Hey man, I&#8217;m going to teach them how to rap and use magic and build crap and make airships and stuff. Also, I&#8217;m going to mate with some Earth women. You can&#8217;t stop me.&#8221; KluYa fell in love with Chi-Chi and then they had Gohan (Batman). KluYa told FuSoYa (a good version of Raditz) to trap Frieza in the bowels of the moon so that he doesn&#8217;t do any weird stuff.

But Frieza was all like &#8220;Hey Vegeta (Golbez), I want you to some stuff for me and wreck Earth, ok?&#8221; Vegeta was only happy to comply.

That about covers it, right?

oxRWR.png

We also come across this tile that&#8217;s in the centre, but we can&#8217;t go in. It&#8217;s blocked by the power of BLACK. It&#8217;s more dangerous than the power of PURPLE that we saw in Baron.

Exposition dumps are boring as hell, aren&#8217;t they? Let&#8217;s do something cool.

bUQlF.png

Well, we could fight Jello Pudding Products and somehow encounter Bill Cosby in a boss battle, but I forgot, we&#8217;re not playing one of the best RPGs of this generation.

2pMam.png

We&#8217;re going here. There&#8217;s a sidequest dungeon here.

t2iYL.png

That&#8217;s right. Bahamut has his own crib in this game. We&#8217;ve been recruited by MTV Cribs to investigate the place. (They call it something stupid like &#8220;Cave of the Father&#8221; in the DS version.)

cqQPF.png
bYBv0.png
JLEfy.png
UFNBj.png

CAtXz.gif
Sonic and the Black Knight &#8211; Fight the Knight (Strings Ver.)

Let&#8217;s all bow down to Takeshi Taneda playing bass and Toru Kawamura playing drums in that track, btw. Sega Sound Team bass is best bass this gen.

*ahem*

Cave Bahamut is Final Dungeon Hard, so you&#8217;ve gotta be careful and be stocked up when you come here or you could get wiped out. I was talking about the Moon&#8217;s difficulty spike earlier? That&#8217;s nothing compared to this. Heck, I think some of the enemies in here appear in the final dungeon like the Kary, Ging-Ryu and the Warlock.

Kary#s can counter physicals with physicals. In addition, they can petrify you. You can cast Charm on it to make it use Petrify on itself. Warlock#s can cast Tier-3 magic at you, but they drop some cool stuff like Ribbons and Ether 2s.

RedGiant#s has a lot of HP but they give out lots of EXP. It can counter magic with Beam which attacks for 0.1 of a target&#8217;s max HP. Just use physicals against them. Bone D.#s are surprisingly stronger against holy attacks. It&#8217;s weak against Fire, though, so that&#8217;s something. Ging-Ryus aren&#8217;t too much trouble and you should just beat on them until they go down.

U7JVD.png
te64i.png

CAtXz.gif
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - Epic battle aka johnathan taylor thomas

^One of the best RPGs of the generation.

You will fight three minibosses here, all of them Behemoths. They are tough cookies at this point in the game. It has very high magic defense (srsly, I think it&#8217;s 254). It&#8217;ll counter any physical attacks with a physical of its own. It&#8217;ll counter magic attacks with Storm (which is basically weak). This is where Clair is not your friend. Don&#8217;t let her hit things with magic. If you wanted to, Beer, Cena, and FuSoYa can cast Blink or whatever. I generally like to throw things at it.

Oh yeah, you can&#8217;t run from them. But they do give a ton of XP and gold! Lots and lots!

b3SG9.png
5y0q1.png

What are these guys going on about? I&#8217;m half&#8230; what? (I&#8217;m going to guess the one NPC was going to say &#8220;you&#8217;re half-Lunarian&#8221;.)

NwDMh.png
Hgsss.png

Bahamut doesn&#8217;t give a fuck if you sparkle as if you were in a Twilight film. He&#8217;s not falling for that Edward Cullen shit.

xx2c9.png
eCL1O.png

CAtXz.gif
Tales of Phantasia PSX &#8211; Fighting of the Spirit

Bahamut looks hard at first but he really isn&#8217;t. All he does is count down from 5 until he MegaNukes your party (Flare couldn&#8217;t fit). Have Beer and FuSoYa build some walls on two of your more important party members (probably Beer, Clair, and Batman). You could have Cena throw things at it if you have stuff available.

pOI4J.png
5eqYp.png
IJpYU.png

Wall reflects his nonsense and nets you a victory. MegaNuke is really powerful. It will kill people who don&#8217;t have Great Walls of China surrounding them. It&#8217;s too bad there aren&#8217;t any items that let you apply Wall for everyone in this version. Tsk.

xL9FS.png
xxFRU.png

We learned Baham! This is an excellent spell.

F5tRh.png

Oh, I totally forgot to name FuSoYa something that&#8217;s easy to pronounce. Well, it&#8217;s almost Christmas, right? The alternative was Moppy, but it&#8217;s almost December and &#8220;Santa&#8221; makes more sense. He just doesn&#8217;t look as jolly.

So he&#8217;s Santa now. Someone wanted me to name him Mr. Moon but he&#8217;s in your party for such a short time that the dialogue doesn&#8217;t take advantage of how funny it could be. (In fact, I don&#8217;t even think they call him by name in the dialogue.)

Za2rk.png

Time to go back.

Next Time: Golbez&#8217;s secret dream is to grow up and be a GUNDAM PILOT.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Previously on Batman&#8217;s Big Nightmare, Batman found out that he was a special unique snowflake because he&#8217;s half-human, half-alien now and Beer&#8217;s kind of freaked out about that. We also met Santa Claus and tamed Rudolph the Red-Nosed Dragon.

Today, we&#8217;re going to learn about GANDAMU.

Let&#8217;s go back to the Earth.

pNbTS.png
Ojrlp.png
cBk68.png
dM0Sm.png

Did I mention that this stuff was cool before? Because it&#8217;s pretty cool.

75Hme.png

This isn&#8217;t where we came from. I could have sworn we left at a point near Mysidia. You see, I&#8217;m bringing this up because most of the time when you take the Big Whale between heavenly bodies, you cannot choose where you end up. You usually end up at the last place you were on the planet/moon.

fba8Y.png

Golbez is going to hack into our ship. I know that blue anywhere!

Exmoo.png

So she&#8217;s literally saying, &#8220;Scream&#8221;? At least go with &#8220;arrrrgh!&#8221; or something. This just looks stupid.

fAl3T.png
Zyi22.png

Oh, Batman screwed up again?

I&#8217;m no longer surprised.

qHDVM.png

Giant of Bab-il? But we&#8217;ve never seen anything like that when we were in the tower at all! We did explore every single floor in it, right?

qHDVM.png
pdCnH.png

CAtXz.gif
Mobile Fighter G Gundam &#8211; Flying in the Sky

A Gundam? Golbez&#8217;s goal in this entire game was to complete his Gundam collection? Well, that&#8217;s not too bad!

(Something something the Amano art Giant looks a lot like Alexander something something)

okyT3.png
ZqcgU.png
sKp0O.png

The whole &#8220;watch the world burn&#8221; thing is not so good, but hey! Golbez has a Gundam now. We only have a shitty whale ship. I think Gundam > Shitty Whale Ship.

7dIeT.png

Well, you know, it&#8217;s not the nicest-looking Gundam, but we can make it better. We have the money and technology to do it!

ursfB.png

Who cares? Golbez deserves this after he put the hard work into stealing the crystals from us and winning every time. Let the man have his Gundam.

Ics9N.png
v9eTE.png
RuinS.png

CAtXz.gif
Red Wings

Eh? What in the world? (You all saw this coming.)

qOjDw.png
w7b0P.png
JAO7Z.png

How did you get here?! How did you move your tanks from below the surface to above ground? Aren&#8217;t those things super-heavy? I don&#8217;t even think the hook we attached to the Enterprise could even hold one of those.

But&#8230; But&#8230; Dwarves + KARATE = !!!!!!

That could simply render any Gundam useless.

MQV7b.png
e4laD.png

Who else is here? No other country has airships, right?

DSm4B.png
dhKAS.png

Now this is just overkill. Dwarf Beard Power + KARATE + Engineer Beard Power? At least let Golbez have some fun with his Gundam.

OXbr9.png
woHY2.png

&#8230;does this mean that the Elder could have un-petrified the twins at any time he wanted? So why did he decide not to? Like I said before, he probably wanted both of them dead. But since this is supposed to be a touchy-feely moment of friendship, he had to bring the twins along otherwise people would&#8217;ve been pissed.

1n1UZ.png

Yeah, no one cares about you. Also, you&#8217;re hiding behind a young lady again. Remember the time your girlfriend protected you from arrows and she died?

zf3y4.png

I have to say that I thought this scene was incredibly heartwarming and ended up being such a freaking cool thing.

LPUW2.png
k3sam.png
HminP.png
deMoB.png

&#8230;how the hell does Cena know about this technological mumbo-jumbo?

Wkc5U.png
MNXeW.png

CAtXz.gif
Within the Giant

Guys? How can they even talk to each other? How can Haddock hear us? We&#8217;re stuck in a huge ship where no one can hear us! They don&#8217;t even have radio!

Regardless, this is what comradery looks like. Your group doesn&#8217;t consist of a bunch of dudes working together; you&#8217;re all friends. I think this sort of comradery was something I missed in FF13.

iqx2G.png
MTK9F.png
MJR3i.png

Yeah, Haddock&#8217;s the one with a brain asking questions. Santa don&#8217;t care and gives Haddock the business. &#8220;My beard is bigger than yours and you must do what I say! NOW.&#8221;

I thought the last pic was pretty awesome.

IZowG.png
c5vy4.png
GDlKz.png
yWadb.png

So basically you&#8217;re thrown into the mouth of the Gundam. Or head. Whatever. They don&#8217;t say. I think when I was little, I liked this dungeon because every single part of the dungeon is named after a body part. I was really into those stories/games/movies where you explore the human body for some reason. Some mistook this for me wanting to be a doctor. *shrug* I was pre-med for a while until I realized that I hated everything about it.

I think we&#8217;ve landed on the tongue. There&#8217;re no villi here.

ZTWpF.png
4vTma.png
fzPp4.png

See what I mean?

KXzfP.png
KED9a.png
4QesM.png
HbHyy.png

CAtXz.gif
Phantasy Star Online 2 Open Beta &#8211; Big Varder

I almost wish the Within the Giant theme seeped into the battles. It would&#8217;ve been cool.

As for the monsters:

Searchers like to tattle on you if you hit them and they&#8217;ll summon other enemies into battle if there&#8217;s room for them. Therefore, it&#8217;s best to smack them around first before getting rid of other enemies it comes with. In other versions, you&#8217;d beat them up because they drop Sirens which helps if you want to hunt tails.

Machines are weak against Lit-3. When you cast lightning spells at it for some reason it starts attacking its party members instead of you. SPECIAL BEAM CANNONS only use Beam which takes off 10% of your max HP, but you can get rid of them with whatever you want. Lit, Levia, Nuke, etc. For some reason it starts hitting on its allies when you cast Lightning on it. Centaurions are unremarkable as well. Cast whatever you want at it.

MacGiants escaped from McDonald&#8217;s and came to the Giant because they wanted to show how much HP they have. They&#8217;re also relatively unremarkable. One of them dropped an axe for me, but you know what I think of axes in this version of the game already.

fNQaN.png
NKniQ.png

Sometimes I just said &#8220;fuck this&#8221; and used a summon. And you guys know how much I adore using summons in Final Fantasy. They take so long to work, and in later games they take so long to actually do something. Screw summons. Summons are terrible. I don&#8217;t even use them in FFX unless I have to (and that&#8217;s the only game I can see them being used in a decent way).

Oh, by the way, Beer has finished learning all of her spells:

eNhBz.png

In this version, we don&#8217;t get Dispel, Shell, or Protect, so Beer is done. If I wanted to, I could kill her off and we can level up Clair a bit.

rS0x2.png

There&#8217;s no such body part called the Passage. This must be either: the urethra, the intestine, or the butt.

ojW79.png

CAtXz.gif
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII &#8211; Howl of the Gathered

This was an enemy in a treasure chest. It likes to Peep on your party members and then cast Stop on you for reasons. Best to Nuke it before it has a chance to Stop you all. Um, I don&#8217;t think this is in the DS version. I heard you can encounter it via hax because the data&#8217;s still on the cart, but you can&#8217;t encounter it via normal means.

wpd1D.png
77fmp.png

From the butt to the lung. That makes sense.

Also we get blue filter in the middle of the room, so that means Evil is here!

6NtaG.png
71oWb.png
eqbZm.png
BxH2j.png

This sounds like what Sailor Senshi would say. Honestly, though&#8230; why does everyone need to say something?

zCows.png
BSk9y.png
vg7Jm.png

Is there a need for this? I mean, really. They&#8217;re basically acknowledging that outside of Rubicant, all of the fiends are interchangeable at this point.

But Rubicant took the South Park &#8220;I learned something today&#8221; and noted that since he beat up John Cena in a 1-on-1 death match, he should attempt to wage a Battle Royal match against Cena and the party instead by teaming up with the other Fiends.

eUlAZ.png
gOsIx.png

Good ol&#8217; Rubicant~

CAtXz.gif
Hyadain &#8211; Four Fiends

Alright, there are two ways to defeat the Four Fiends. One of them involves a glitch.

Method 1: Second Form Glitch

Nm6of.png
1mOPs.png
h2cDH.png
JUPcE.png

Remember way back when this LP started I mentioned that you could defeat the Mombomb in its first form but I didn&#8217;t do it because we didn&#8217;t have the means and I didn&#8217;t want to grind that much? And then I tried to do it for the Astos (Dark Elf) boss but it didn&#8217;t work out well because I only had one mage on my side and he was terrible? Well, I can actually do it now because my party doesn&#8217;t suck.

The second form glitch is pretty easy to duplicate. You see, there&#8217;s a counter that takes effect whenever you directly attack an enemy. As you keep attacking the enemy and take down its HP, it&#8217;ll count down to when it needs to swap forms. If we cast Wall on some of our party members and use spells on them, it&#8217;ll reflect onto the enemy. This damage does not have an effect on that counter, so you can comfortably defeat a boss in its first form with its lower HP and prevent it from going into its second form.

This glitch was fixed in the GBA version, iirc.

Method 2: Legitimately

tBGyd.png
U4IsT.png
cGT5m.png
vUYpI.png

This battle is more of a way to show the player how much they&#8217;ve grown since the first time they&#8217;ve fought one of the fiends (because you can basically dominate them this time around with 9999-hit spells). Oh, and funny trivia: the way they&#8217;re ordered this time is the order in which you fight the fiends in Final Fantasy I. The DS remake decided to say &#8220;NO FUN ALLOWED&#8221; and put them in the order in which you fought them in Final Fantasy IV.

So I usually like to whack at them with black magic. I don&#8217;t like wasting Beer&#8217;s Cure 4 spells on something as petty as Milon. Milon&#8217;s weak against Fire, so Fire-3 attacks will work against him. He seems to like casting Curse on your party, which isn&#8217;t cool because it limits a lot of the stuff you can do.

Rubicante doesn&#8217;t give a shit about his cape anymore and displays his legs in full glory. Cast Ice-3 and Levia at him.

Kainazzo doesn&#8217;t hide in his shell anymore. Cast Lit-3 and Blitz at it.

Valvalis is boring. Use Lit-3 against her. Seriously, she&#8217;s actually weak against Lit-3 because I suppose they didn&#8217;t fix a bug where she shares Kainazzo&#8217;s weakness.

Yeah, this battle is very little trouble if you&#8217;re fighting against them in a regular manner. Abusing the Second Form Glitch is actually somewhat harder because you can&#8217;t gang up against the elements like you would here.

CusOg.png
XWfyU.png
i7g5g.png
cP5P4.png

This whole &#8220;everyone gets something to say&#8221; thing is outright weird to me. Even Rubicant&#8212;who seems like he&#8217;d be able to say a lengthy speech with decent prose&#8212;is reduced to saying something dumb.

If8mJ.png

By the way, doesn&#8217;t this look cool? It reminds me so much of Quintet.

God, I miss Quintet. Oh, by the way&#8230;

3aIF1.gif

CAtXz.gif
Persona 4: Golden &#8211; Time to Make History

In all of my years playing the SNES version of FF4, I&#8217;ve only encountered the D.Machin three times. I didn&#8217;t encounter it here. You&#8217;ll find it around this very passage I was complimenting. I suppose it&#8217;s supposed to be a callback to the Warmech, because that was very hard to encounter in FF1.

In other versions, this enemy&#8217;s hard as hell. In this version, it isn&#8217;t so bad because it&#8217;s weak against Lit-3. It hits really hard, though. You can also use Stop on it so it would stop attacking you for a while.

rDByv.png

So&#8230; we went from the butt to the lung to the CPU. I&#8217;m going to guess this is the Heart. I&#8217;d call my CPU &#8220;the Brain&#8221;, but whatever.

Everything in this Gundam is anatomically correct, right? Right?!

aFD47.png
QXcDH.png

Well, Cena, Hearts are generally the size of your fist.

You know, I think I would have gotten a lot out of this dungeon if it were more organic. Kinda like that one Devil May Cry 3 dungeon.

jv6bR.png
UGgu0.png

CAtXz.gif
Phantasy Star Online 2 Open Beta &#8211; Dark Ragne (Final Phase)

I vaguely remember having issues with this boss when I was little and playing this for the first time. But it&#8217;s an easy battle. It has 30K HP, and it&#8217;s supported by the Attacker and Defender bits. The CPU will cast Wall on itself (and you don&#8217;t have Dispel in this version so tough shit), so it&#8217;s best to use the Dart command at attack it with Shurikens or weapons, or use the Fight command and tough it out. You could cast Wall on one of your party members and use a spell against them, but you can&#8217;t control where the reflected spell is going to go.

N5jKo.png
iXOPR.png

Get rid of the Attacker bit and the CPU will start attacking with Globe199. Globe 199 will take your characters out because it deals 9999 damage. There is no &#8220;break HP limit&#8221; in this so you&#8217;re going to have to deal with it using the attack twice. It&#8217;s best to take the Defender out first and let the Attacker stay there until the end of the battle.

I&#8217;ve also seen it counter physicals with Globe199 so perhaps your best bet is to use a multidamage spell like Quake or Meteo.

I say this but&#8230;

AFk4i.png
5cEvL.png

I stopped giving a shit a while ago and started attacking it with Rudolph. Because Dragons are bad-ass.

xDvRE.png
pr18g.png

Did we actually accomplish something of value? :O

More important question: Where the fuck did Tommy come from? He seems very happy about us winning the boss battle even though he&#8217;s on Golbez&#8217;s side and he&#8217;s not even here!

DEB7E.png
KaXTQ.png
m42xJ.png

Holy shit, we actually did something! Golbez is gloriously pissed that we wrecked his Gundam.

HQk32.png

You&#8217;ve been a naughty child! You shall get coal in your stocking this Christmas!

U9XXq.png
YNvOs.png
Fbyno.png
GqDAj.png

Golbez killed Santa somehow.

&#8230;I think Golbez won.

zvWcm.png

B4OFc.gif
The Lunarians

Wait, nononono, you&#8217;re supposed to finish him.

yZBjY.png

Santa&#8217;s a psychologist now. Yeah, I think we&#8217;ve predicted what comes next.

GWAAE.png
3exi6.png
4LV5O.png
yVb59.png

Fuck you, Batman. You are so terrible at your job and you admire Golbez so much that you&#8217;ve decided to make The Great Golbez-sama your brother. Pathetic. How the hell does this change them wanting to fight each other to the death, again? There are stories out there with brother-conflict, even if one of them wasn&#8217;t in the right frame of mind at the moment. One brother has his convictions and other has&#8230; well, the other&#8217;s an idiot, but whatever.

This shit reads like a terrible Soap Opera.

Y15Lz.png

So&#8230; midi-chlorians?

tzcGP.png

GET OVER IT.

VXrxd.png

Now we&#8217;re going in circles. METAL GEAR?! Honestly, if this were voiced, it would be incredibly terrible and people would cry and moan at how bad the dialogue is.

JOeQf.png

And then you would have been a better character for it. You would, really. Your story of redemption wouldn&#8217;t feel as half-assed either.

qCs1a.png

I feel like this could have been decent character development for both Batman and Golbez, but the conversation doesn&#8217;t even go anywhere. Honestly, with the discussion about souls being stained with evil and hatred leading into Judeo-Christian philosophy, they could have done something decent in terms of allusion but nothing comes out of this.

What this means is that even though every person has a will and capacity to frame their own destiny, what they&#8217;re saying is that Batman was always going on the path of Light, while Golbez was going down the evil path anyway. Batman hated the genocidal stuff he was doing because he was never ever destined to be a DKnight, and Golbez&#8230; well, we won&#8217;t know his backstory until we play FF4 DS and The After Years but no one cares about that, right?

I dunno. This entire thing feels incomplete to me. It would have been better if they concentrated on the contrast between the two in terms of a character-driven plot, but instead they go into this &#8220;four more crystals, underground!, path of the dark side, GO TO THE MOON&#8221; bullshit for the entire game and leave character development in the dust. After a life-changing event in Kain/Edward/Cecil&#8217;s lives, the character don&#8217;t even grow after that, and that&#8217;s a huge problem. I find it interesting that people consider FF4 to have a ton of character development when we&#8217;ve seen that it barely has any outside of a life-changing event or a change in a character&#8217;s physical appearance.

Even the events that led up to this brother revelation don&#8217;t foreshadow it and it comes off as being something that you should simply take at face value. Now if they left all the post-Paladin bullshit out of the story and focused more on how Cecil deals with the changes and how he sought and found his redemption (and it truly should have been harder for him post-Mysidia, imo&#8212;you should never ever be easily forgiven for what Cecil did even though you&#8217;re all sparkly and blessed with light) and how he deals with his failures, maybe I would have reflected on FF4 more positively, but I can&#8217;t. The story really comes off as hackneyed and silly in the end, no matter which version I play.

I think it&#8217;s a shame. The first part of the game is actually good, seems partially politically-focused, focuses on Cecil as a character seeking redemption and struggling with his beliefs, and coming in close contact with the people he&#8217;s hurt the most (shit, I don&#8217;t even know why Rosa unwaveringly sticks with him&#8212;she should have some internal battles of her own). After Cecil gets shipwrecked, my desire to play the game wanes because it stops dealing with the stuff I kind of like about the game. Then we get into this brother revelation and they start talking about ethics and stuff and I have to ask &#8220;why now, when the game hasn&#8217;t come close to talking about this stuff for hours?&#8221;

Feels like a huge hole. If they&#8217;d focused on every person&#8217;s internal struggles coupled with the source of Evil drawing every kingdom into a world war, then maybe I would like the game a little more.

DT51j.png
OO79P.png

Golbez getting shit done unlike someone.

oK7m3.png
c5gc3.png

And recruiting people like it&#8217;s nobody&#8217;s business because he&#8217;s getting shit done.

xJnZh.png
iVMu6.png
rvmoB.png

&#8220;Why can&#8217;t I be as cool as my brother? I&#8217;ve just decided to make him my brother in my dying dream and yet people still think he&#8217;s cooler than I am!&#8221;

0cd6F.png
lOwJf.png
ekOLO.png
ZSx07.png

What the hell kind of corny dialogue is this? This is some forced nonsense. Yet again, I feel as though if this were voiced, it would come off as incredibly contrived.

OTRTK.png
SW1EU.png

B4OFc.gif
Run!

Behind you where Golbez and Santa went through, maybe?! Are these people blind?

Sz8zs.png
WBVjd.png

Aw shiet.

EmsZ5.png
qGTnP.png
f4w76.png

Yeah, it isn&#8217;t the time for soul-searching and yelling at Tommy for being the traitorous Green Ranger again.

uYhgC.png

And that&#8217;s the end of Golbez&#8217;s Gandamu.

Next Time: An awkward romantic scene which isn&#8217;t romantic at all.

Heropon

^^
I don't want to """"spoil"""" anything, but seeing your post has reminded me of that scene that will happen in your next update in which Batman, after having the two girls in the party for half the game, discovers that it can be dangerous for them to go with the super macho men on adventures and doesn't want Rosa and Rydia to accompany his group of mighty heroes to the Moon, though the two of them have already fought giant bacteria and lunar dragons. There's so much bullshit in one scene, and no matter how many remakes are made, it's impossible to fix it because its base completely falls off.

I hope you bash it pretty hard when you can, please.

CorvoSol

Dammit, I'll never keep up with Dark Schala.

FF4TCC So I've made it to the Moon, and since my ass is getting pwned every step of the way, I don't know if I have the guts to do as Dark Schala has and face Bahamut NOW. I may put that off till the second trip, but the allure of having Bahamut to use on CPU is too much. No, I should man up and do it now.

FF7 Finished Disc 1 and I will say this: The infamous spoiler of spoilers truly, honestly, is as good as people hype it up to be. Replaying FF4, it occurs to me just how unceremonious every superspoiler of that kind really is until that moment. Josef, Ricard, Minwu, Doga, Unei, Tellah, Galuf, and Leo just pale in comparison to this moment.

What makes it so much better than those, though? The music. That her theme plays during the entire cutscene AND the ensuing battle really make it. Of further note is that this is the first time that a character is
murdered
. Josef, Minwu, Doga and Unei are all
sacrificial
, and Ricard, Tellah, Galuf and Leo all
die in battle
, so this comes as a complete shock. Cloud's speech afterward, is pretty moving for an FF game, and that the game actually makes the player
struggle to not kill Aerith yourself
is pretty nifty, too. I had Barret and Tifa in my party, too, and their reactions added significantly to the scene. Can't imagine how dumb it would've been with dorks like Yuffie and Cait Sith.

Whatever the case, it's actually a very good scene compared, made better by the fact that unlike FF4, it NEVER GETS OVERTURNED.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last time on Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream, Batman decides to make Golbez his older brother because Batman is terrible at everything and feels like he should be related to someone legitimately cool. At least he can be in the room when Golbez wins the game. We also beat up Golbez&#8217;s Gundam because Batman&#8217;s a jealous little bro.

Very short update today, for the sake of keeping the final dungeon stuff together. Fun fact: I did lose an hour of progress because I didn&#8217;t save before shutting the game off. So I ended up fighting two of the sealed weapons bosses and then I lost aaaalllll that progress and had to do it all over again. I&#8217;m smart.

er2WI.png
JBi0N.png

So, uh, are we here to execute Tommy or what? Seems like Cena&#8217;s ready to be the executioner.

VW8pL.png
RbPFa.png

Get your feelings away from me.

4JyeM.png
YJO5o.png
Yj7q4.png

So wouldn&#8217;t this mean that Tommy was indirectly under Zemus&#8217;s control as well? Or is it one of those &#8220;the person is being mind-controlled by a guy who was being mind-controlled by this other guy and this other guy&#8230;&#8221; sort of things? I don&#8217;t know.

I don&#8217;t care.

agM7S.png
3Lihk.png
L8K4W.png
rKVaw.png

I swear you were right there when we killed the CPU, Tommy. You even had dialogue. You should know this. Don&#8217;t wait for people to summarize it for you. Heck, I think he even passed Santa and Golbez when he was on his way to the CPU chamber.

And hey, Tommy has even more initiative than Batman does.

&#8230;how did Santa and Golbez get back to the Moon? We need a Shitty Whale Ship for that. How did they do it? :O

xrEhc.png
Pezlt.png
tqqvV.png

And Tommy has more guts than Batman will ever have. Cena loves the idea of killing Tommy in the future sometime so he&#8217;s totally coming along. Just replace &#8220;Zemus&#8221; in his sentence with &#8220;Tommy&#8221; and it will be truthful.

But then again, we all know that Cena can&#8217;t exactly do shit unless we buy him a stack of swords to throw at things.

km5em.png

We&#8217;ve already been to the moon. This is no awesome feat.

1Hodg.png
Zj2pp.png
Kk4tn.png
tdWDR.png

Who turned the misogyny up in this joint? Get all the women and children off mah boat!

Hey Batman, let&#8217;s review. Who saved our behinds half the time?

5oOA7.png
loKIU.png

Don&#8217;t even bother trying to win this. Just progress the story.

cmlWI.png

This Caller is out of control here and is merely powered by her own emotions at the moment. The Titan&#8217;s power ends up causing a massive earthquake which splits the land apart and raises mountains in its place. That&#8217;s some crazy tectonic shifting right now.

Oh, by the way, there&#8217;s a child in the room. She didn&#8217;t say a single thing, and everyone ended up ignoring that she existed. I wonder what she&#8217;s gonna do.

aKkCy.png

I bet this is the sole reason why they give her White Magic at the beginning of the game and then take it away.

18FQ8.png
oCsl6.png
zBamD.png

Why is it working now?!

wEKNh.png
DBUFK.png
x0loJ.png

Batman&#8217;s decided to deus ex machina this shit. To prolong this game and my suffering.
NySFs.gif

But who is that?

EKBCI.png

holy shit i thought leviatan chewed you up days ago what the hell are you doing here and why do you have different clothes

Batman, I deserve an explanation.

eHCbq.png
zezDb.png

This is an actual line of dialogue in the game. No, I did not put this in GIMP and mess with the image. I just think it&#8217;s hilarious they didn&#8217;t go with Cure but went with Cure 2. Because this line of dialogue sounds absurd.

So, uh&#8230; do they say &#8220;Give me a Cure 2 bottle?&#8221; sometimes?

Right. So who saved our asses half the time? And you want to kick both of them off and stick with Traitor McHeelturn and John Cena? Tommy could possibly turn into the Green Ranger and summon the Dragonzord to kill you, and John Cena&#8230; well, he&#8217;s John Cena. That&#8217;s irredeemable. Plus your White Magic sucks next to some good old fashioned Beer. And I&#8217;m not even going to talk about how Clair can control monsters and gods. And they&#8217;ve already been to the moon, and went to a dungeon with final dungeon-calibre monsters. Is that not enough? This is complete bullshit. Why is this scene even in the game? Is this done to exemplify the love between Batman and Beer which isn&#8217;t even there for the majority of the game outside of the Sand Ruby thing and the Zot thing? Because none of this makes sense.

We all know that Batman&#8217;s in this for the keg of beer, right?

Ok, I get it. Batman&#8217;s not going to win Strategist of the Year. Ever.

7XxNY.png
pP8xn.png

No. Stay and confront him right there. Don&#8217;t let him bullshit you into doing what he wants. You&#8217;re an independent woman, aren&#8217;t you? Give him a piece of your mind. Don't suck it up and leave, because that's what he wants you to do. Clair, rip his head off, will ya?

By the way, this probably one of the few times that Batman&#8217;s put his foot down in this game. And it was to his kinda-sorta girlfriend. Whatever. Batman would be banned on GAF for this shit.

oNuwd.png
cozwm.png
6zrGK.png
EP445.png

Wow, when did I recruit complete misogynistic assholes? This garbage doesn&#8217;t qualify as chivalry.

I love that Clair takes a line to break him down a little bit, though. Good. At least she isn&#8217;t as passive as Beer is.

oTzoI.gif
Clair
DrrbG.gif

n1Qf5.png
xgbHA.png

B4OFc.gif
Lunar Whale

So now our trio of the MANLIEST OF ALL MEN decide to talk to a crystal to take them to the Moon so they can complete the MANLIEST OF ALL MISSIONS while meeting up with the MANLIEST OF ALL ALLIES (Golbez) to lay waste to the unmanliest of all enemies: Zemus.

Gosh, doesn&#8217;t this music sound like it&#8217;s pumping with MANLY TESTOSTERONE?

XEOJZ.png

There is nothing fun or cool about this journey. Sorry.

VOESD.png

Without a good Black Mage or White Mage? This shit is going to be disastrous.

5cy51.png
E5P0g.png
IqkiI.png

Did Batman finally grow a pair? I genuinely like that &#8220;Get out of my way&#8230;&#8221; line because I can think of how he says it and it sounds pretty cool in my head.

QAgGu.png
bs0JX.png
y60Ba.png
jA4P8.png

B4OFc.gif
Theme of Love

God, I hate these love scenes between them. They feel so forced. I never ever thought they made for a believable couple, and thus a lot of their love/kissing/hugging scenes feel awkward to watch. Outside of the three major scenes in this game that&#8217;re supposed to be demonstrative of Batman&#8217;s undying love for Beer, there isn&#8217;t a lot of interaction between the two outside of discussing plot, and thus there isn&#8217;t sufficient evidence for a growing and deepening love.

But this kind of extends into the fact that I don&#8217;t think there are a lot of video game couples with a genuine love that believably grows throughout the course of the game. Love takes time, adequate communication/interaction, yearning, and chemistry, and a lot of video game couples don&#8217;t seem to have that, imo. If it weren&#8217;t for stuff like Valkyria Chronicles, Trails in the Sky, Majora&#8217;s Mask, and the backstory of Suikoden III, I probably wouldn&#8217;t have any hope for video game couples at all.

gS0c6.png
AsEE4.png

&#8230;uh. I didn&#8217;t know you guys were into voyeurism. That&#8217;s, uh&#8230; that&#8217;s certainly something.

qkdPA.png
tWk10.png

MAMORUUUUUU
It&#8217;s like I&#8217;m playing Tales of Graces all over again. Except that game was fun.

xV6zY.png

They&#8217;re only hugging here. Remember, they removed the frame of animation for them kissing in this version because children should never see couples kissing ever!

fVHk1.png
83taa.png
pzpmz.png

B4OFc.gif
Cid&#8217;s Theme

I bet it was her idea for her and Beer to be stowaways. Again, she has more guts than Beer will ever have. How did they even accomplish this? They can&#8217;t breathe in space. How did they hang onto the ship when it&#8217;s going super-fast to the Moon?

&#8230;why is this never ever explained? Am I supposed to accept this at face value like an idiot? Even now, Final Fantasy IV&#8217;s bullshitting me.

klPcQ.png

Clair&#8217;s dropping those truth bombs.

Honestly, would you want to piss someone off who can summon the King of Dragons? No? Yeah, I didn&#8217;t think so.

YcuJr.png

Batman&#8217;s terrible at giving endgame speeches. Just terrible. He should take some notes from Squall, who at least made a cool speech at the end of Disc 2 of his game.

fiFJ8.png

Well, whatever. This is what everyone&#8217;s levels are at right now. Kinda want to keep a screen on-hand for comparing at the last save point/right before the final boss. But you know what we need to do?

5PAZZ.png

Get our butts back to the Earth to get some business done. I&#8217;m aware that you could have stayed at an Inn to get this but let&#8217;s pretend I&#8217;m playing the game for the first time, alright?

mj7cJ.png
Y4pSX.png

I&#8217;d love to buy some of that Ninja stuff, but we can just duplicate weapons for Cena to throw at things.

4zKX0.png
7tmTE.png
Ri3WS.png

The Excalibur is not Batman&#8217;s final weapon, but I want to pretend it is in this version. This is because his final sword, the Crystal Sword, induces the no Critical Hit bug. But&#8230; we&#8217;ll see. I&#8217;d like to be able to equip the Crystal Sword because of the stat boosts it has.

The Excalibur is also an awesome throwing weapon for Cena because he does ridiculous amounts of damage with it. We should use the dupe code for the sake of using the dupe code on it.

uTjVJ.png

The gang&#8217;s all here!

MSFzP.png

Yes. I&#8217;d love to. But this version doesn&#8217;t have party-swap because &#8230; well, why didn&#8217;t it? It would have been a decent thing to do. I would have loved to swap Cena out for Donnie. Or I would have liked to try my hand at an all-mage party at the end.

So why prevent me from making decisions like that outside of the fact that the story&#8217;s set in one direction and they had to cut stuff to give me an optional dungeon for their ultimate weapons? They all keep levelling up as we progress through the game, so I don&#8217;t see why not.

That&#8217;s another thing I don&#8217;t like about FF4; it limits my party options even more by not letting me party-swap in a game where I can&#8217;t swap classes on the fly. Boring.

hZlNh.png

You guys don&#8217;t have a share! Abe&#8217;s useless and you suck in this version because your Sing command is garbage.

1afqi.png

John Cena&#8217;s not a chosen one. He&#8217;ll never be a chosen one. I&#8217;d rather have Donnie Yen on my team. :(

19kTW.png
HpESl.png

Batman&#8217;s a terrible Paladin, but you wouldn&#8217;t know that, would you? Also, Palom&#8217;s basically lying to my face even though he knows that he&#8217;s definitely been levelling up while he&#8217;s been petrified.

I like using these two in the Advance version&#8217;s endgame because they learn spells ridiculously fast. Their stats aren&#8217;t bad either.

U1fH7.png

&#8220;Get your asses out of here. Beat the game already!&#8221;

mkPRY.png

Welp. It&#8217;s time.

Next Time: Sealed Swords and Demon Hordes.

jb1234

This wasn't something I noticed as a kid (or even in my early 20s, when I last replayed the US FFIV) but man, Batman/Cecil comes off as wildly incompetent in some of these scenes. And when he's not incompetent, he's apparently misogynistic. Classy.

I also dislike how in these Japanese RPGs, the writers try to force "moments" by having a character say something sentimental and then another character says the first character's name, usually with ellipses. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT.

Anyway.

Heropon

It seems the scene was even worse than I remembered, Batman didn't have what it takes to talk like that to traitor Tommy or Golbez. Thanks Dark Schala for pointing all the bullshit in this game as only you know how to do. Having said this, I only play the PSP and DS versions now, so the dialogue isn't as bad, though that scene will be stupid forever. I wonder how Square Enix will handle it in the next 3DS remake before they try with FFV.
NEVER ;-;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not an update, but...

I also dislike how in these Japanese RPGs, the writers try to force "moments" by having a character say something sentimental and then another character says the first character's name, usually with ellipses. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT.
jb1234...

Yeah, I don't care for the "dramatic... ellipsis" either. It doesn't generally enhance the dialogue or add gravity to the situation; well, here it doesn't. Especially when the protagonist is behaving like the cat's got his tongue, or he's being sexist.

Having said this, I only play the PSP and DS versions now, so the dialogue isn't as bad, though that scene will be stupid forever.
You made me go look for the DS and GBA versions of this scene because I know there are script changes, and I don't think I like some of the changes.

Game Boy Advance Version said:
Cecil: Rosa, Rydia. You two stay here. The three of us will go. I can't put you in this kind of danger.

Rosa: But Cecil!

Rydia: That's not fair!

Cecil: Please, you have to get off of the Lunar Whale.

[Rosa leaves]

Edge: You kids won't be much help, anyway.

Rydia: Who're you calling kids?

[Rydia leaves]

Edge: Just stay put, okay?
Rydia barely even gives Edge a piece of her mind here, and I'm especially disappointed with that. Her line in the SNES version was surprisingly decent given the context.

Also, kinda weird that he's calling Rydia a kid now when before he was fawning over her and trying to capture her heart.

Nintendo DS Version said:
Cecil: Let's go. To the moon. But Rosa and Rydia stay behind. This time, there may be no homecoming.

Rosa: Cecil!

Rydia: You can't mean it.

Cecil: Go. Get off the ship.

[Rosa leaves]

Edge: This is work for grownups. You just wait for us back here.

Rydia: Fine!

[Rydia leaves]

Edge: Heh!

Kain: Cecil...

Cecil: Don't argue, Kain.
At least Kain realizes that Cecil's being an ass. No one's calling out Edge though.

And Rydia just leaves with a huff and a "fine"? Tch.

This scene sucks. What was the point of including it? Tension? That's some extremely unbelievable tension considering that those two were the ones who stuck by Cecil for nearly the entire game. You could actually argue that it was Rydia who indirectly saved Cecil from himself and put him towards the path of redemption. I already don't like Rosa that much, but at least she does something of value in terms of her spellset, and she sets the plot arc in motion sometimes. Kain betrays people continously, Edge is a--I dunno what Edge is, and Cecil stands there while watching hands steal crystals. Out of all of the current party members, Rydia and Rosa were the ones who stuck by Cecil the longest, and they're the most useful.

This scene ends up being pointless and ridiculous at this stage of the game. If this took place way earlier, like... post-Tower of Zot or before going to Cave Eblana, maybe then I'd kind of understand (even with the sexism), but now? It's a silly inclusion.

You know what would be cool? FFV with FFX-2 job-swapping on-the-fly.

Heropon

When I was talking about the PSP/DS versions I was thinking about the overall dialogue of the game. Seeing how a more faythful translation worsens the situation shows even more how crappy that scene is.

Buuuuuut I have a strange theory to excuse Batman: After seeing thief hands, lots of friends "dying" and Golbez stealing all the crystals his self-esteem is in the shitter and doesn't think he can protect the people he cares about. Rydia and Rosa are those people, who happen to be women. Meanwhile, he couldn't care less about what can happen to mister Mario Traydor and the super ninja guy, so he takes them to a certain death.
When he was actually cool, he thought he could protect little kids and octogenarians through endless caves. Quite ironic, seeing that he's now a Paladin and that class symbolizes just the opposite of what he has become.

It's really funny trying to excuse the writers of this game, but the scene keeps being bad.

jb1234

Not an update, but...

jb1234...

Dark Schala...

Yeah, I don't care for the "dramatic... ellipsis" either. It doesn't generally enhance the dialogue or add gravity to the situation; well, here it doesn't. Especially when the protagonist is behaving like the cat's got his tongue, or he's being sexist.

I can see it being used for these sprite games because of how hard it is to convey emotion but for some reason, it's infected newer JRPGs as well, where it makes less sense.

Regardless, FFIV clearly has more problems than just that. If I were Rydia, I would have kicked some ass and taken over the group. She's clearly more qualified than the rest of them. ;)

sphinx

the piano man
I just came here to say that I finished FFII PSP some days ago and I have to say I was disapppointed :/

It's sad because I REALLY liked the way Firion was handled in FF:Dissidia and was looking forward to learn more about him, but the game... man, it feels like a rom-hack, some things are completely broken in that game, 70% of the spells are completely, utterly pointless, just to name one flaw...

CorvoSol

I just came here to say that I finished FFII PSP some days ago and I have to say I was disapppointed :/

It's sad because I REALLY liked the way Firion was handled in FF:Dissidia and was looking forward to learn more about him, but the game... man, it feels like a rom-hack, some things are completely broken in that game, 70% of the spells are completely, utterly pointless, just to name one flaw...

Some spells become broken at higher levels, though. High level TOAD can kill bosses.

sphinx

the piano man
Some spells become broken at higher levels, though. High level TOAD can kill bosses.

yeah I am not surprised. I decided to level up BERSERK only to level 10, not even that high, and evey battle was easy.

deal damage in the 30-50 HP range, cast berserk and all of a sudden deal damage in the 1500-2000 Hp range... yeah...

CorvoSol

AW YEAH! Christmas Break means I might have time enough to finish FF4CC and FF7!

I feel bad that I've stalled so much in this thread. I had so much steam this summer.

On that note, I'm currently at the Great Glacier in FF7, and it really does strike me that FF7 offered a great deal of FUN minigames, which is more than can be said for some RPGs. The Snowboarding and Chocobo Racing and Motorcycle riding are all a lot of fun.

What it has made me notice, though, is that Cloud very much is not the emo loser everybody likes to think he is. He's very much more, dare I say it, the Sonic the Hedgehog of FF protagonists. He's got the attitude, does extreme sports, and has a devil may cry approach to things. Plus the chicks dig him!

I mean, he's not Cecil, who was literally a sex fiend, but Cloud has his number of lady fans.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually finished FF4 last week and I have a ton of images to sort through to put them together into three to four posts.

I'm not finished exams until tomorrow night, though, so no posts yet.

CorvoSol

I actually finished FF4 last week and I have a ton of images to sort through to put them together into three to four posts.

I'm not finished exams until tomorrow night, though, so no posts yet.

Exams have more or less halted everything. So glad I finished yesterday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hello, and welcome back to Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream. Exams are over so let get silly. I want to finish posting this stuff by the 18th since that is FF&#8217;s anniversary. Plus I&#8217;m writing up the Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary Thread, so please look forward to that!

Last time, we learned that Batman is a sexist asshole who thinks only the MANLIEST OF ALL MEN can get shit done. Well, Clair was awesome and taught them a lesson or two. We also learned that in later translations that &#8220;Hotshot&#8221; line is omitted and they treat her more like a kid. We got an uncomfortable hugging scene too.

DnZ1e.png

We&#8217;re approaching the final dungeon. Are you ready? No? Okay, we&#8217;ll talk to some crystals first. They always seem to like exposition.

B4OFc.gif
The Prelude

ZfruY.png

PATH IS OPENED.

kGuAT.png
rNLdR.png
PcLHn.png
z4SxE.png

Zemus has psychic powers. This means that he can bend spoons.

Yeah, I&#8217;m not getting anything out of this exposition dump. Are you? All I see is &#8220;power this&#8221; and &#8220;power that&#8221;.

ADIic.png
WwTJF.png

Or &#8220;core this&#8221; and &#8220;core that&#8221;.

1MnBV.png

Wait. This one actually says something of value. It tells the player that they&#8217;ll find some characters&#8217; ultimate weapons down there. But they&#8217;re sealed. I&#8217;m not sure if they mean the seal that I&#8217;m about to step on and break or if they mean that I&#8217;ll have to fight stuff to get them, but I&#8217;m dying to find out.

At least that&#8217;s what a first-time player should say, right? Regardless, this is kind of the player&#8217;s reward for having gone in a clockwise direction like I did and reading the walls of text the other crystals had to offer.

cHj7P.png
IXCdz.png
SN3J3.png

What I&#8217;m not showing you is how the screen flashed different colours like it ate a bunch of Skittles. I always thought this part was kind of cool. Just because for once, it showed that the team had a small bit of camaraderie that they showed back when we had a team of DKnight Batman, Beer, Clair, Bolton, and Donnie.

I always liked that party for some reason. I think it&#8217;s the colour scheme.

u4mUi.png
Y5YaQ.png

Once again, camaraderie. That little nod is actually kind of significant, and I&#8217;m a little happy someone decided to add that little animation in. I&#8217;ve done my fair share of moaning and groaning about FF4 in this thread and in others, so let&#8217;s take a moment to complement it (though I&#8217;m pretty certain that I&#8217;ve complemented it quite a bit in this playthrough somewhere).

Let&#8217;s listen to the music playing in the background.

B4OFc.gif
The Red Wings

It&#8217;s the same music that plays right as you boot up a new game. But it isn&#8217;t the same because at the beginning it fades in. Here, it starts off a little bit prior to looping. Where did we hear that before, the first time?

He pushes his evil DKnight reflection into the mirror and the battle begins!

CAtXz.gif
Red Wings

3fQqW.png
1NRVz.png
Right! Right when Batman&#8217;s in the middle of his class change, seeking redemption. The second time we heard this version was when we were getting the Enterprise. The first time we hear the BGM proper was when he was a self-doubting and remorseful DKnight. The most recent time we&#8217;ve heard the BGM proper was when the world was uniting to take down Golbez&#8217;s Gundam.

The class change version of the theme is now employed in the final dungeon. When you think about it, a lot of the time this version is used, something significant is going on. More significant than the times the proper version is used. It somewhat exemplifies Cecil&#8217;s growth as a character (regardless of what little growth he truly has), or demonstrates that the crew has a goal in mind with an intention to carry their plans to achieve that goal out no matter what.

That little nod at the beginning as they teleport into the final dungeon, right as the first few notes of Red Wings plays comes off as more significant than the player probably realizes. At the beginning of the game, Cecil is essentially alone, even when he&#8217;s surrounded by others simply because he won&#8217;t let other people in. Even when he met Rosa at night, he still tried to brush her off.

wVoIA.png
ieqkU.png

Haha. In other versions at least she seems genuinely concerned after Cecil says he feels like a jackass.

Well, at least their relationship is established in the first few moments of this game. That's something. I feel like it's written to be more platonic in this version than other versions.

With that, Cecil tells Rosa that it's getting late and that she should get some sleep. Rosa tells Cecil to "take care" and leaves. We're left with this bit of dialogue, though, which is much different from other versions:

usJtJ.png

It kind of downplays their relationship because in other versions, Cecil would say something to the effect of, "As a Dark Knight, we can never be together." Here, the dialogue would sort of imply that he's just talking about his position as a Dark Knight and how it sucks that he can't get out of it. A lowly Dark Knight who follows the King's orders.
It wasn&#8217;t until he screws up hard at Mist and meets Rydia that he truly feels the need to redeem himself and grow a pair. And as the game goes on, the theme gets played at significant portions:
- When Cecil decides to class change for the sake of redeeming himself, and to save and avenge his friends whom he&#8217;d thought he&#8217;d lost forever.
- When Cecil and the others acknowledge the twins&#8217; sacrifices and decide to work together and avenge them.
- When Cecil reunites with Kain and Rosa (whom he&#8217;d finally confessed to).
- When Cecil and the others go back to Baron after witnessing Cid blow himself up.
- When everyone comes to Cecil&#8217;s aid to beat up the Gundam.
- And when the final five team up to beat Zemus once and for all.

Going by the pattern, Cecil began to open up to people as the game went on. The game doesn&#8217;t outright tell you this, but if you pay attention to when the Red Wings theme is employed, then you realize that on some level, Cecil becomes more confident and trusting of other people and that&#8217;s essentially his character growth. He doesn&#8217;t get anything done, but at least he shows that he&#8217;s not necessarily calloused, nor does he wish to be anyone&#8217;s guard dog anymore. The theme being employed in the final dungeon, and that final nod animation is demonstrative of Cecil finally being able to trust in his friends and the people he loves the most.

I think this is very good sound design and good use of a character theme, especially since there are two versions of it. While some of the stuff like Cid&#8217;s Theme is used to death for funny scenes or scenes where the characters are doing something as pick-me-ups to the point of being utterly insignificant, Red Wings/Cecil&#8217;s Theme is employed pretty well throughout the game. It tells the player &#8220;Look how far you&#8217;ve come since the beginning!&#8221;

Yeah. I spent two pages talking about a damn character theme.

Moving on.

t8fo8.png
ERAGV.png
XJhl8.png

So. Let&#8217;s talk about dungeon design.

The Lunar Subterrane is&#8230; uh&#8230; it&#8217;s interesting. It feels like a &#8220;final exam&#8221; of sorts in terms of the dungeon designs in this game. A lot of the fun stuff from other dungeons (ex: the ropes from the Sealed Cave, the magnet gimmick in the Magnet Cave, the spots that you need to float on from the Land of Summons and the Sylvan Cave) aren&#8217;t mixed in here, but it has a lot of the stuff that was slowly introduced to you throughout the game.

XJhl8.png
geCuU.png

We have floors with multiple strata, some floors with more than one door, some floors with teleportation squares which don&#8217;t mean much, and some floors with hidden passages.

What I like about this dungeon, though, is that it&#8217;s filled with parts that aren&#8217;t A -> B. There are some rooms where you may go from A->B or A->C depending on how much you&#8217;d like to explore. The first room is a perfect example of this. The secret passage on the left will take us to a treasure chest with monsters in it, and you&#8217;ll come to expect that after a while. Almost all of the chests in this dungeon have monsters in them. I don&#8217;t know how they live in there but they just do. The secret passage on the right will take us to a teleportation square. The doorway will take us to another route on B2. So it&#8217;s up to the player to decide where he or she wants to go, or what he or she wants to do first (because by the end of a pathway right now, you will certainly feel the need to exit out of the dungeon to heal up, thus this is why I&#8217;m bringing up the &#8220;multiple paths&#8221; thing&#8212;it isn&#8217;t new, but depending on the player&#8217;s playstyle, you could end up making the dungeon feel like it has several endpoints). We&#8217;re after treasure, so we&#8217;re going to do the treasure first.

Still, it&#8217;s nice to see that the map design opened up for us quite a bit in the final dungeon. I wouldn&#8217;t say that it&#8217;s one of my favourite final dungeons in the series because it isn&#8217;t. But it&#8217;s one of the better dungeons in this game just for the sake of variety in terms of passages and how the player may access different rooms.

8NCUV.png

Like I said, we&#8217;re after treasure, so we&#8217;re going to go after the Sealed Weapons first. If we went to see Zemus now, we could theoretically be beaten to a pulp depending on how badly I play the game (well, we wouldn&#8217;t, but it&#8217;s better to get the weapons).

finalfantasyii00136cquh.png

Obviously it won&#8217;t let me take the sword. It&#8217;s so angry that it&#8217;s forgotten some articles.

finalfantasyii00166tqmw.png
finalfantasyii0017koojy.png
finalfantasyii0018u6olq.png
finalfantasyii0019hyog0.png

CAtXz.gif
Ys III PCE &#8211; The Strongest Foe

Say, uh, doesn&#8217;t it look familiar?

Well, too bad it&#8217;s not weak against Weak.

Regardless, Pale Dim isn&#8217;t a match for us since it mostly hits one person. It can counter magic with Quake (which isn&#8217;t a problem if you remember to cast Float). Actually, what&#8217;s lovely is that I think when you hit it with a spell and it counters that, it&#8217;ll reset its ATB gauge.

At the end we get&#8230;

finalfantasyii0024vzrz4.png
finalfantasyii0025hvpqi.png

The Murasame is Edge&#8217;s second strongest weapon. It&#8217;ll add +5 to Strength, Stamina and Wis, but it&#8217;ll subtract 5 from Edge&#8217;s Agil and Will stats.

DScXG.png

I always thought this passage was pretty darn cute. But the treasure here sucks. It&#8217;s a whip or something. Again, the whips will make Clair experience the no critical hit bug, but since she came to us equipped with a whip anyway, that&#8217;s not an issue anymore. Equipping the whip would also take away the Wis bonus that her current weapon gives her, so don&#8217;t bother with equipping the whip.

CwqFz.png

D&#8217;aww. Look at that. So cute. Why is it even there? Who knows? Who cares? It&#8217;s adorable.

Time to run through most of the enemies in this dungeon.

CAtXz.gif
Etrian Odyssey 3 Super Arrange &#8211; The First Campaign

l10VN.png
7hcek.png
clW7F.png
K8xz4.png

So, the enemies in this dungeon are palette swaps of each other. I guess they started to run out of ideas. Some of the enemies were ones that we encountered in Bahamut&#8217;s crib, so I don&#8217;t have to explain those, do I?

D. Fossil#s are extremely weak against Batman&#8217;s holy swords, so hit them with it. King-Ryu#s love to counter with Entangle and then they like to use Blitz on you. Blitz takes of 0.1% of your max HP. You may use Weak + a physical to kill them, but I prefer throwing stuff at them instead.

f94Zo.png
RTe4V.png

Hey look! Palette swaps in the same battle!

Behemoths are no longer as punishing as they were originally because we&#8217;ve leveled up some, but I generally like to throw things at them or summon Bahamut at it just to get the physical counter.

You can&#8217;t run away from Blue D.#s or Red D.#s. They&#8217;re hard in other versions, but here you can get away with Nuking them or using Ice 3 against the Red D.#s, and nonelemental attacks on the Blue D.#s.

An interesting thing about the Red D. monster&#8212;sometimes they come in packs of three, but since they couldn&#8217;t fit more than one enemy on the field, they just had one of them show up, die, and then another one showed up onscreen. I thought it was a neat solution.

U81rs.png

No one cares about RedGiants anymore. They&#8217;re kind of annoying in that they have a ton of HP, but they aren&#8217;t too hard to deal with.

Z7SDV.png
VJgFN.png
1BmOE.png

Trickers are guys who repeatedly Peep on themselves to tell you what they&#8217;re weak against. They&#8217;re just begging for your touch. The truth is, they really are weak against lightning attacks. So let&#8217;s try one out and see what happens.

tunT8.png
ugOUW.png
vX8gP.png

Well, shit. He&#8217;s just an Imp. What can go wrong?

ZB7FV.png
PVmTw.png

WAT. Because he casts Fast on himself, he attacks you with Lit-3 very often. You can probably die from this. If you plan on letting him feel some pain from Lightning, cast Wall on your party first.

b0IWY.png

FatalEyes cast Fatal on you. You can get rid of them with throw attacks or shoot attacks. They&#8217;re pretty boring.

rj3fz.png
np2ZX.png
Tr1Lh.png

So there&#8217;s an invisible bridge here. I didn&#8217;t know about this my first time through FF4. I was going nuts trying to figure out how to get to one of the weapons and didn&#8217;t know how until I got frustrated and tried to push into any invisible wall to see if I missed anything.

This is what playing video games before having easy access to the Internet around was like.

ScAA0.png

I always liked this line. It sounds so pompous. Plus it&#8217;s missing a few commas to demonstrate that there&#8217;s a dependent clause in there, but whatever.

zHjhP.png
ndLS9.png

CAtXz.gif
Super Metroid &#8211; Ridley&#8217;s Theme

This is Wyvern. Or Dark Bahamut. We&#8217;ll just call him &#8220;Ridley&#8221;.

Ridley really doesn&#8217;t want us to get our hands on the Metroid Hatchling so he starts off with MegaNuke. Then it casts reflect on itself to reflect light rays to make sure that it&#8217;s visible. MegaNuke won&#8217;t hit everyone because they at least want you to have a chance.

Ridley will also counter summons with MegaNuke so don&#8217;t use them. I know you&#8217;d like to see Ridley go up against Bahamut but don&#8217;t do it. Jump and throw things at it to get things done. I just did it for the sake of novelty.

magK9.png
vaAnr.png

We have obtained the Crystal Sword. We have a problem. While the Crystal Sword is Batman&#8217;s ultimate weapon, it induces the &#8220;no criticals&#8221; situation. So, we have to choose whether or not we&#8217;re going to equip Batman with the Crystal Sword. The Excalibur with crits would deal more damage than the Crystal Sword, but if we level Batman up a bit, this would become less of an issue.

So let&#8217;s make Batman lose his crits. Sorry I have to gimp you, Batman, but it&#8217;s necessary.

6BRWp.png

Final Save Point of the game, go!

By the way, I&#8217;ll get this out of the way now: I am not going to fight the Pink Puffs. I don&#8217;t want to. That would require me to play this game for hours until I get a single encounter, which I don&#8217;t want to do at all.

mYur4.png
7WGIi.png

CAtXz.gif
The Last Remnant &#8211; Beat the Odds

Next weapon: The Lance of the White. Because you&#8217;re not allowed to say &#8220;Holy&#8221;. It&#8217;s bad.

Plague fights dirty. It hits everyone with Fatal at the beginning. Then it&#8217;ll cast Fast on everyone intended to speed up the countdown, but, uh, it doesn&#8217;t work out that way. Fast speeds up the ATB and has no effect on the Fatal countdown at all. It just gives you more time to attack.

Your best bet is to Nuke it (use Nuke because Clair can cast it fast), White, and physically attack (jumping might take too long).

If you&#8217;re really having trouble cast Stop on Beer so she can revive everyone later. The Advance version of this fight is hilarious because you can just keep killing your party members and reviving them so the Fatal counter is reset. Or you can cast Wall on a party member, then the Fatal spell will bounce back, and then it&#8217;ll keep casting Fatal and reset the counter.

EvD9E.png

The White Spear (the Holy Lance&#8230;) is a weapon for Tommy. If Tommy uses it as an item, he can cast a very crappy version of White on the enemy. It&#8217;s more beneficial if he hits things with it or if he jumps.

Next.

jDRBW.png

Just as we&#8217;re approaching two chests, we encounter ENEMY FILTER.

wW2Fl.png

We&#8217;re fighting over a damn ribbon?

mB8vQ.png
zUO0b.png

CAtXz.gif
Nayuta no Kiseki &#8211; Desolate Ground

D. Lunar#s like to cast Wall on themselves and bounce things off of themselves. They can also use Bad Breath. But they&#8217;re like D.Fossil#s, so hit them with a Crystal Sword or throw Excaliburs/Lights at them. Summon Bahamut, and you&#8217;ll be golden.

After the battle, we get Ribbons. Ribbons are some of the best accessories in all of Final Fantasy. They tend to prevent all negative status effects. You could have gotten some earlier if you fought some monsters a lot. The Ribbons in this game protect against everything but Paralyze, Sap, Berserk, Slow, and Doom. It adds to your Phys/Mag Defense 9 and 12 respectively.

b57zi.png

Oh right, I duplicated the Excalibur. Now we have one of the best throwing weapons in the game!

Yeah, I dunno what I was doing with that Aegis shield equipped either. I think I forgot I had a Crystal one after duplicating the weapon.

hsys8.png

Well, this is the last area we&#8217;ll be able to access the Exit spell in the final dungeon. Next, we&#8217;re going into the core.

Get ready for next time.

Next Time: Zemus has bad breath.

CorvoSol

FF4 Got Sylph and finished the Giant of Babil. Bahamut renders every major boss fight in that dungeon a joke. Why did I never think to try and pick him up before?

Seriously considering leaving Edge behind and taking Yang with me instead, because Yang isn't worthless, can take a hit and deal one out, and actually belongs in the front row. Edge, meanwhile, should stay in back while Rydia does more than her fair share.

FF7

The infamous Cloud Break Down scene. Or, in other words, the moment when Tifa surrenders her claim to "best girlfriend option". Like, SERIOUSLY TIFA. Cloud's over there, freaking out, convincing himself that what Sephiroth isn't true, and you just LET HIM FALL APART. So that when Sephiroth and Hojo DO start lying, Cloud's totally willing to go along with them.

Also, Hojo is a HUGE LIAR. "Oh, I built him and blah blah blah" No you did not, Hojo. You took a kid from the Reactor, dumped him in a tube, and just slacked off.

Good golly, what did Lucrezia see in this guy? Not only is he stupid, but he's a plagiarist and sells flukes as master strokes.

jb1234

I was bored earlier today and so I picked up my GBA and started playing FF6, where I left off just after meeting Strago and Relm. I got so hooked that I played it for five hours. What's interesting is that I've beaten this game several times as a kid... but haven't played the World of Ruin in well over a decade and I'm encountering bosses that I've completely forgotten about. The tentacles in Figaro Castle? Like fighting a whole new boss!

This is what playing video games before having easy access to the Internet around was like.

Yeah, that smacked me around as a youngster too. I still have a vivid memory of being stuck in several areas (like the Mount of Ordeals test) and begging the kind lady at the video rental store to give me tips.

Heropon

zHjhP.png
ndLS9.png

CAtXz.gif
Super Metroid – Ridley’s Theme

This is Wyvern. Or Dark Bahamut. We’ll just call him “Ridley”.

Ridley really doesn’t want us to get our hands on the Metroid Hatchling so he starts off with MegaNuke. Then it casts reflect on itself to reflect light rays to make sure that it’s visible. MegaNuke won’t hit everyone because they at least want you to have a chance.

Ridley will also counter summons with MegaNuke so don’t use them. I know you’d like to see Ridley go up against Bahamut but don’t do it. Jump and throw things at it to get things done. I just did it for the sake of novelty.

This reminds me about G-Fex's stream, and talking about that I think you should start thinking about streaming stuff. Knowing your posts, it would be great.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Welcome back to Batman&#8217;s Big Nightmare. Today we&#8217;re going into the Moon&#8217;s core. I don&#8217;t know if the pressure and heat are going to kill us.

It probably might.

x90EL.png

CAtXz.gif
Within the Giant

This is what the Moon&#8217;s core looks like. The floor&#8217;s made out of crystal, I suspect. I don&#8217;t have much to say about this portion of the dungeon other than&#8230; well, it&#8217;s there to look pretty and the music certainly helps. In terms of dungeon design, no, it doesn&#8217;t do much for me because it&#8217;s pretty linear. Gives the player a break before the final boss.

Actually&#8230; You&#8217;ll face some strong enemies here, and they&#8217;re accompanied by the FF4 boss theme to boot. Basically, the game&#8217;s designed to tell you that even though you&#8217;re at the end, you shouldn&#8217;t let your guard down.

CAtXz.gif
Battle 2

SV0MM.png
E3A9l.png
HDpgX.png

EvilMasks are one-trick ponies. All they do is cast Wall and then they like to cast magic on themselves so it bounces off back at you. EvilMasks are stupid, though, because they cast Wall on you too. Throw things at it, summon things, and cast spells on yourself to make them go away.

The problem with EvilMasks is that they appear really often.

Next.

lDuks.png

BLADE OF BLACK.

lPycG.png
IJ7gj.png
j1J9h.png
zWevG.png

CAtXz.gif
Zero no Kiseki Evolution &#8211; Get Over the Barrier!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRrNv-RYVeE

We&#8217;re fighting Dark Leviathan Ogopogo. This means we&#8217;re now in beautiful British Columbia and we&#8217;re trying to see whether or not Ogopogo exists. Meh.

He opens up with not one, but two Tidal Waves. Then it&#8217;ll attack for a while before using Tidal Wave again. If you attack it with lit, it&#8217;ll use Whirl. If you attack it with a Summon, it&#8217;ll use Blaze. Overall, Ogopogo isn&#8217;t too tough. It&#8217;s best to use Nuke or something like that against it.

qcnwE.png

The Masamune is Cena&#8217;s ultimate weapon, with 65 attack, +3 Agil and 99 accuracy. When you use it as an item, it&#8217;ll cast Fast.

2AGiu.png

You guys, it sure is boring around here. I like the background in this part of the dungeon, but outside of that, it kind of puts me to sleep.

xn9KS.png

They aren&#8217;t dead because the monsters killed them. I killed them for personal reasons. You see, Clair&#8217;s spell list isn&#8217;t complete yet.

9xARd.png
FMF4i.png

CAtXz.gif
Tales of Xillia 2 &#8211; Keep Pushing, Until the Sword is Exhausted

This is Zemus&#8217;s halitosis. It&#8217;s so fucking bad that it&#8217;s become sentient and it&#8217;s intent on preying on you. Dude doesn&#8217;t brush, obviously. All it does is Peep at your undies. If you use Meteo against it, it&#8217;ll use Stone. But we don&#8217;t have Meteo, so it&#8217;s ok.

2zn9w.png
WWSjo.png
MO4R0.png

CAtXz.gif
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits - Ordeal

Zemus&#8217;s Mind is an asshole. It has 254 DEF. It&#8217;ll counter your attacks with a shield (in fact, this is the only time you'll see Safe in this game). Use a summon. It can cast Charm on you, so be careful. The battle can get incredibly annoying if you let those Charmed characters build up.

Ujenf.png

And with that, Clair&#8217;s spell list is finally complete.

finalfantasyii0148wguld.png

Oh, and I talked about this last time. The enemies can&#8217;t fit on the screen at once, so they just have one of them on the screen. Each time you kill one of them, another one will come to the plate to take its turn.

FhJG4.png

We&#8217;re here. At the very end of the game. Are you guys ready? I can&#8217;t wait.

But first&#8230;

IKBtf.png
2xc94.png
4VmBu.png

Beer&#8217;s come along nicely since her debut. She&#8217;s a terrible character story-wise, but rather useful as a healer. That Will stat is really high, and that&#8217;s because she&#8217;s equipped with the Life Staff, and the White Robes. It&#8217;s a bit of a shame that they removed three spells from her list because that thing just looks incomplete.

LRnxo.png
J32eR.png
VUACd.png

When Batman was a DKnight, his stats were weighed in favour of a physical attacker. His specialty were his Strength and Defense stats, but his Magic Defense stat was garbage and he has low Will to boot.

Since he&#8217;s class-changed, Batman gets new character data. They&#8217;re different characters entirely. His MDef and Will are much higher. Despite his higher Will, Batman&#8217;s a terrible healer. He&#8217;s best used as a physical fighter towards the end or as someone to distribute potions. Perhaps his Cover skill is his best asset, considering he&#8217;s a tank.

QSovg.png
D58Ez.png
YitJ1.png
dUoGR.png

Clair is the MVP of this game. Despite her low phys stats, her magic stats are pretty good. I do find it interesting that her Wis stat isn&#8217;t in the 90s like how Beer&#8217;s Will stat is in the 90s, but she can do 9999 damage anyway. I didn&#8217;t go for her extra summons because that would be a waste of time.

b9x4f.png
K5XVI.png

Tommy&#8217;s a Dragoon. He jumps and stuff. Like DKnight Batman, his stats are weighted in favour of physical attack. That Will stat still jumps out at me and we all know that he does have a sprite that casts in this game, so perhaps he was supposed to learn White magic at some point. And of course, if you&#8217;ve played The After Years&#8230;

6Bc6M.png
yB9N5.png
finalfantasyii016370at4.png

Edge benefits from a higher speed. With this higher speed, he can throw stuff and get rid of enemies quickly depending on what you have him throw. But his defense stats are crap. He&#8217;s a squishy, so it&#8217;s probably best to keep him in the back row. He does have a high evade, but he&#8217;s still a squishy.

7GQy3.png
4mMFa.png

Oh, well, I guess we didn&#8217;t need to be here considering that Golbez is going to win the game, huh?

uSGN7.png

CAtXz.gif
Battle 2

That&#8217;s Zemus? What the hell?

He looks like a horrendously tall vampire! Really, his positioning screams, &#8220;I&#8217;ve come to suck your bloooood!&#8221; Golbez and Santa proceed to cast Tier-3 spells on Zemus.

Q8N4F.png
F5DK1.png
AWm35.png
8X66A.png

Golbez is such a pro. I love being able to watch him win the game. His cast animation is kind of cool, because he makes a red/green ball of energy as he casts. It&#8217;s just too bad that I can&#8217;t manually control him or something.

&#8220;Silly!&#8221; Zemus can&#8217;t even make awesome retorts like Golbez can. Zemus sucks.

l7cyL.png

The &#8220;W&#8221; in W. Meteo means &#8220;Double&#8221;. You ever watch Kamen Rider? &#8220;Kamen Rider W&#8221; means &#8220;Kamen Rider Double&#8221;. So they&#8217;re casting &#8220;Double Meteo&#8221;. And it&#8217;s an awesome spell that tears Zemus apart.

I&#8217;m sure most of it is because of Golbez, though.

trDeu.png
iwXP0.png

Zemus can&#8217;t even say good death lines either.

lbKt7.png

I had to capture this just to say that I loved the sound effect of Zemus falling down with no BGM whatsoever. It&#8217;s pretty funny in context.

rxi2O.png
f5FFy.png

Yeah, we could&#8217;ve stayed home for this. Batman coming here just proved how inefficient he is.

And whatever, man. Evil can win sometimes as long as it&#8217;s powerful enough to do so.

zyR0X.png
SDh23.png

Cena, don&#8217;t even pretend to know what everyone&#8217;s talking about. And even Santa is surprised to see us here since he thinks we&#8217;re not as useful as Golbez is.

1IN3K.png

You don&#8217;t have W. Meteo so shut up. All you do is throw knives.

05NAJ.png
HzgmV.png
SKSFA.png

Not this shit again. I&#8217;m tired of it. Is there any point to this sort of dialogue, exactly? Just say what you want to say! It&#8217;s annoying. Really. It&#8217;s a bunch of dialogue I don&#8217;t even have to read. It doesn&#8217;t even serve the purpose it&#8217;s intended for properly (to make things look awkward between characters).

FPU8f.png
Y4RLe.png

And while Batman&#8217;s brooding, Zemus glows like a Twilight vampire. Can I blame Zemus&#8217;s revival entirely on Batman? Golbez got the job done.

uK3vk.png

CAtXz.gif
Prince &#8211; Batdance

He attacks us, and Golbez and Santa are the ones left standing.

Y43Bg.png

Zemus could never hate things as much as Kefka hates things. Even in death.

Ss7wk.png
ROOwn.png

Ah, Zemus thinks he&#8217;s Prince, changing his name all the time.

qIFNM.png

He even has a new haircut! So, he wants to express himself differently and to do that, he&#8217;s changed his look. He&#8217;s like David Bowie. And as we all know, David Bowie is in every video game ever.

gIOtv.png
Z91eE.png

And somehow he&#8217;s immune to Meteo&#8230; Golbez&#8217;s Meteo at that!

EyImX.png
TG5Zb.png

This doesn&#8217;t bode well. If Meteo is the ultimate magic spell, then we&#8217;re done for.

wCTRD.png

&#8230;take this?

cZtrF.png
aM5Sx.png
kVpdy.png

The crystal casts this weird hybrid of Nuke and White, it looks like. I thought it was going to be more impressive than that.

5Srdf.png
LBkty.png
BHXNj.png
x7o1N.png

&#8220;You, the man of Darkness using it does not mean anything to me, you fools!&#8221;

Guys, this doesn&#8217;t even look like a sentence. It&#8217;s obviously missing a comma in there somewhere. And it looks like a run-on sentence.

Perhaps a better way of writing the same expression is: &#8220;You, the man of Darkness, using it&#8230; It does not mean anything to me, you fools!&#8221; It still sounds incredibly wonky, but at least it works better than what nonsense they have written here.

wW4Tb.png
ARGzc.png
ZQqo6.png

Fuck, Golbez is dead and Santa turned back into a mop! Now we have no one to save us because the best character in the game is dead.

Ezme1.png
finalfantasyii0299unjcp.png
finalfantasyii0303hij7c.png

Welp, I guess that&#8217;s the end of Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream! Thanks for joining me on this playthrough, you guys. I really appre--&#8230;

finalfantasyii0304sfkgv.png
finalfantasyii0305kxj6b.png
finalfantasyii0307y5j45.png

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

How do they even know? Can they see them from here? Do they have Kory&#8217;s huge telescope?

B4OFc.gif
Prologue&#8230;

finalfantasyii0309dmkjx.png
finalfantasyii03121jj01.png

How hard was it for the translators to convince Nintendo to allow them to use &#8220;pray&#8221; in a game script? &#8220;Wish&#8221; sounds kind of stupid. Hell, Earthbound used Pray.

I don&#8217;t get it. This kind of censoring is just really dumb.

finalfantasyii0313vtj2g.png

That&#8217;s not a wish.

finalfantasyii0315h4jp9.png

Because you obviously don&#8217;t know what it is.

finalfantasyii0317l6j2y.png

I don&#8217;t even have anything bad to say about this because at least Haddock knows what a wish is.

finalfantasyii03199qj2c.png

Even his engineers aren&#8217;t stupid!

finalfantasyii0320cek4a.png
finalfantasyii0321gaknp.png

I honestly expected better from these two.

finalfantasyii0322ddk1u.png

If Batman is your last hope, then your entire planet is doomed.

finalfantasyii0323injn1.png
finalfantasyii0325i8j69.png

Palom&#8217;s proving that he&#8217;s better than his sister just because his wish doesn&#8217;t sound like half of a sentence.

finalfantasyii0326wek22.png
finalfantasyii0328i2j1f.png

Stop acting like the Moon is sentient.

finalfantasyii0331jrkm8.png

I guess I have more of this to play, don&#8217;t I? How unfortunate.

Next Time: BIG BANG.

Heropon said:
This reminds me about G-Fex's stream, and talking about that I think you should start thinking about streaming stuff. Knowing your posts, it would be great.
My speaking voice isn&#8217;t conducive to streaming, heh. If I had to stream something, it&#8217;d be something I&#8217;m good at and I&#8217;ll be silent for most of it. Also, it might not seem like it, but I&#8217;m really shy.

Poor G-Fex. Did he ever end up beating Ridley?

CorvoSol

DARK SCHALA

Does Zemus spam Big Bang in FF4 SNES? Because I'm doing the PSP version and HOOLY HELL I'm level 60 and I just game over'd because he threw a massive hissy fit and literally used it every turn for 10 turns in a row. My party is boss, but how am I supposed to compete with that kind of bull?

Also: Almost done with FF4 PSP. It's visually attractive, but I'm pretty sure that FF4DS is the definitive version in my book. Yes, it removes infamous scenes like Golbez' hand and Cecil and Rosa making out in the tower of Zott, but it keeps the best lines (Allow me to give you something! A gift, to remember our meeting by! BITCH SLAP) and has the superior augment version. FF4PSP ruins pretty much all the best scenes with some lame ass new age retro square translation. It's only credit in that department is leaving the Mysidian Legend as something you can understand. Lunar Trials is okay, but it's no substitute for the Augment system, which allows you to cope with the fact that nostalgic programmers have gone and upped the game's difficulty to 20 by doing stupid things like making Zeromus literally use Big Bang every turn.

And in FF7 I've found Cloud and Tifa has decided she's going to atone for royally screwing up the whole not telling him about how messed up he is thing by pulling a Shera and spending the rest of her days as a wallflower in his room.

Seriously, Aerith is the only good woman in FF7, because she's the only one with a spine. Tifa and Shera and Elena are all spineless nice girls who will ultimately get friendzoned and have to date the fat kid, Barret. Slapping Scarlet was fun, if ultimately pointless.

Cannot understate how ridiculously out of place Hojo claiming he built Cloud is now, because of the compilation. Like, you play Crisis Core and it just renders most of what Hojo allegedly did prior to FF7 utter bull. Everything he claims to have done either was done by Gast, Lucrezia, GENESIS or fate. Hojo probably isn't even a good scientist at all. He might not even be a scientist.

What if Hojo is just a dentist and everyone in Shinra thought he was a scientist because of the coat?

Anyway, some WEAPON got toasted by the Sister Act Ray starring Whoopie Goldberg Bullets. And now I have an airship, woooo! By this time in FF4 I have 2 airships, a spaceship, a hovercraft and a black chocobo. Military might of the skies indeed, Cecil. Indeed.

Mussed around with Type-0 again, but just to see the cool
L'Cie
mode for the cast. Been pretty busy, otherwise, with other, non-FF games. RE: SRWJ.

Kokonoe

Banned
Final Fantasy III PSP

So, since I'm skipping FFII for now since it's awful, (at least I think so) I figure it's time to move on to the next one so I can keep this train rolling.

So far I'm actually enjoying the models of the characters, but I do have to say the actual graphics of the ground and enemies doesn't appear to be too great. It's nothing bad but nothing too notable I suppose, but I need to experience the entire game before I make any brash decisions.

Starting out, it appears the main character is confused by the whole ordeal of him being the chosen one, and I'm even confused and slightly humored by some of the lines in this.

Luneth: "Chosen? For what? I don't understand."

Old man: "A long time ago, a traveler came to me carrying a newborn child.
His face was covered in soot and his clothes were burnt to tatters.
The child he carried in his arms...was you.
To think, even as a newborn, you were already destined to be chosen by the crystal...

You must now set forth on your journey. Take your power, the light you hold in your heart, and use it well!"

Okay...well that doesn't particularly explain why he is the chosen one, and the thing is, Luneth says nothing after that and the dialogue ends right there.

I'm enjoying the dual wield system and think every Final Fantasy should have something like this available as it's pretty nifty. I've been using the original NES OST because I consider it much better than the rearranged newer music, but the newer music is good too.

So right now I found out you need a Mythril Ring to save this town from it's curse, so I managed to get a party of 4 rolling already and so far I'm a little puzzled on where I'm suppose to go. The king told me to go to a cave to the right, and this particular cave has monsters that two shot anyone in my party. I went into another cave in a different town and the results were the same, so I've been doing some odd grinding method for the time being.

Essentially I do this.

1. Wait near the exit of the cave.
2. Run back and forth to get into a battle.
3. Defeat monsters while my party gets massive amounts of exp and levels up pretty quickly.
4. After each fight, leave the cave and fly back to town to heal.
5. Rinse and repeat.

So, I've gotten stronger to the point now my strategy is..

1. Same as 1-3 from above, but this time I let all my party members except the one with "Cure" use Guard while that character cures all the zombie/undead monsters for 60-70 damage, one hit killing them since it targets all of them.

Going to head back to the king now as I don't think this game wants me to be grinding like some mad-woman just to beat it.

-edit-

Apparently I am suppose to grind as such as he says the "Sealed Cave". Well, at least I got the Wightslayer Sword while I was at the castle. I suppose I'll keep the grinding up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now for the final part of Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream. It&#8217;s a two-parter, because most of it likely won&#8217;t fit into one post. It&#8217;s been fun, guys. Really. Brace yourselves. This is going to be a long update. (I wanted to get this out of the way since I&#8217;m working on the Phantasy Star thread, and I&#8217;m posting that tomorrow). Last time, Zemus killed Golbez and we didn&#8217;t have any chance of beating him anymore.

Today&#8230; because of the power of wishes, we&#8217;re going to beat Zeromus Prince and end my suffering once and for all!

B4OFc.gif
Prologue&#8230;

finalfantasyii0331p0kb5.png

Huh, Batman&#8217;s the only one standing up. I guess it&#8217;s because he&#8217;s been blessed with capital L &#8220;Light&#8221;. Poor Golbez. His only failing was that his soul was stained with darkness for a while.

finalfantasyii03320gj6a.png
finalfantasyii0334s2jjo.png
finalfantasyii03362mjj9.png

The crystal didn&#8217;t work last time, so what makes you think it&#8217;ll work this time?

Actually, it&#8217;ll work. This game likes to go in-depth about the Light and Darkness, and how amazing Batman&#8217;s power of Light is. Many antagonists and enemies mention it and use it as a basis for a test of courage. Those who attach themselves to Darkness can let their worst qualities manifest into something incredibly undesirable. Golbez allied himself with Darkness when he was a child (hm, FF4 DS almost makes it seem like he was coerced), and his jealously of his brother getting his parents&#8217; attention led him astray.

finalfantasyii0337ysk9e.png
finalfantasyii0338vhjb7.png
finalfantasyii0339a9kpq.png

Wait a minute!

You can cast White magic, right? Heal your brother! Let him fight alongside you for once. I think he&#8217;d be an incredible asset to the team. You can kick Tommy out because he&#8217;s just going to jump in the air. Cena&#8217;s useful because he throws Excaliburs at things.

I don&#8217;t understand. The game perfectly set up a situation in which two bitter opponents who found out that they were blood-related and set aside their differences to save the universe could fight alongside each other and no one had the foresight to say that Batman and Golbez teaming up to take on Zeromus as a family was a good idea?

No one? At all?

Really?

I would have loved to have seen Golbez&#8217;s spell sets and stats as a party member back then. He deserved to be in the final battle party because he actually got things done. It would have been a nice way to show Golbez&#8217;s redemption, and a nice way to demonstrate that anyone can be redeemed through suffering, good works, and forgiveness. Aside from the theme of emotions, another theme is redemption in this game, right? Tommy&#8217;s another one who was sort of left out in the cold. Batman was the only one who truly was redeemed in the end.

Whatever. Let the battle begin.

finalfantasyii0341znkv5.png

This looks promising. We&#8217;re gonna win.

Totally.

finalfantasyii0342czkx9.png

Even more promising. Just what I always wanted.

(Why are they appearing out of nowhere?)

finalfantasyii0344mnjqf.png
finalfantasyii0345x1knz.png
finalfantasyii0348ujkch.png

Slam and Jam revive everything because&#8230; uh&#8230; the wishes of children are incredibly powerful or something I dunno.

finalfantasyii0350dpkao.png
finalfantasyii0350dpkao.png
finalfantasyii0354pbjj2.png
finalfantasyii035794j01.png

Wait a minute. How the heck did Abe get here? Bolton uses his power of song and Abe&#8230; uh&#8230; Abe does what Abe does to give energy to the girls. Somehow this seems fitting.

finalfantasyii0363qsj2o.png
finalfantasyii03655bjvz.png
finalfantasyii0367cbjuw.png
finalfantasyii0371mruqv.png

Well, at least two of the better party members are paired up with each other. They infuse their KARATE and BEARD POWER into Tommy and Cena. Batman doesn&#8217;t get any of it because he is not worthy.

finalfantasyii037878u1s.png
finalfantasyii03816cuoc.png

I still think Golbez should&#8217;ve been with us. It&#8217;s a shame. Also, is the Moon sentient? A lot of people in this game seem to think it is. It&#8217;s a big rock, man.

finalfantasyii03856fupo.png
finalfantasyii0388eouwx.png
finalfantasyii0395jpuc8.png

Even now, Golbez is saying some cool stuff. I thought the &#8220;dear brother&#8221; line was always interesting in that&#8230; well, this version never really shows that Golbez ever appreciated Batman. And the DS version goes out of its way to say that Golbez was jealous of Batman&#8217;s existence. So there isn&#8217;t exactly a reason for Golbez to even preface what he&#8217;s saying with that

Now onto the boss battle. I still think it&#8217;s cool that Prologue is still playing while this is going on.

finalfantasyii0405kruay.png

In this form, you can&#8217;t hit Zeromus. He can&#8217;t exactly hit you either. This is a good time to buff your characters up, by the way. In other versions, Cena can steal a Dark Matter from Zeromus, but it&#8217;s not necessary here.

I always thought this background was really amazing, you know. It seems to have several layers to it and I wish I&#8217;d fiddled around with the background/foreground settings at the time. I love the colour palette as well. Even if the stupid thing doesn&#8217;t make sense in context, it really is quite a marvel to look at. I can&#8217;t say that about a lot of the final battle backgrounds in FF, so FF4 truly does get a nod for its presentation, especially after a lot of the other battle backgrounds in the game.

Let&#8217;s use the crystal on him now to make him corporeal.

finalfantasyii0406i3utx.png
finalfantasyii0407fxu63.png
finalfantasyii0409rvu35.png
finalfantasyii04128huwz.png

YIKES WHAT THE CRAP IS THAT THING.

finalfantasyii0417k4uz0.png
finalfantasyii0422lbuqz.png
finalfantasyii0424u4ufu.png

finalfantasyii0425k4ud1.png
finalfantasyii0428qeu2d.png

Zeromus is notable for using the ability &#8220;Big Bang&#8221;. Big Bang is flashy as hell attack which propels the party backwards, flashes colours at you, attacks things with lightning bolts, and hits the party really hard while inflicting Sap. You immediately know what Big Bang is because Zeromus opens the battle with it. Zeromus will continue to use it several more times throughout the battle, with increasing frequency as the battle goes on (so if it feels like he keeps using it over and over it means that you&#8217;ve whittled him down to lower HP).

There are two ways to defeat Zeromus. The hard way and the harder way. But first&#8230;

CAtXz.gif
The Final Battle

I played this before I&#8217;d played Mystic Quest, so I thought this final boss theme was the bomb. I thought the samples were really good, and that bassline is fucking awesome. I also can&#8217;t help but to think Birth of a God has a segment that&#8217;s a little nod to it (or it&#8217;s just Uematsu using the same stuff like he does sometimes).

The DS version fucking ruins the theme for me. I hate the brass samples they used so much. It&#8217;s horrible. It wrecks the entire game, and less prominence is given to the bass even though it deserves it. Just awful. Listen to this garbage. Ick. Blech. Ew. Disgusting.

Alright. Let&#8217;s get to the first way. The glitchy way.

Method 1: The Second Form Glitch

finalfantasyii04169ouae.png
finalfantasyii043306u63.png
finalfantasyii0438q7uo7.png

Hey, did you guys know that Zeromus has four forms? Yeah, he does. You&#8217;ll know which form you&#8217;re fighting against if he uses a different AI script. Phase 1 is where he&#8217;s kind of relaxed, uses nothing for two turns (he shakes), then uses Big Bang&#8230; then he moves onto Phase 2 (the regular script) automatically. Phase 2 is where he starts to use Black Hole and Bio.

Phase 3 is where he starts to use Flare. His switch to Phase 3 is kind of wonky in that if he has like&#8230; between 12-17K HP remaining and he&#8217;s allowed to take a turn during that phase, he&#8217;ll recover his HP and then he&#8217;ll go into Phase 3. Phase 4 comes into play when he&#8217;s under 12K-13K HP. This is when he starts going crazy and uses random shit (so Corvo, if he keeps using Big Bang a lot, this is where you are). Oh and he likes to use Meteo a lot here.

So! This is where you can use the Second Form Glitch in the SNES version. Recall how the glitch worked before: You have to cast Wall on a party member and then bounce spells off of the member so that the counter doesn&#8217;t begin to go down to activate another phase. So&#8230; all you have to do is bounce off a ton of stuff on Zeromus. But you have to look out for his counter attacks as well (Nuke). Watch out for Big Bang so that it doesn&#8217;t cause problems. I don&#8217;t think this strategy is as hard as the legit strategy, just because Zeromus is easier to deal with since he&#8217;s locked in one of his initial phases. The last shot is of Zeromus dying, so yeah&#8230; it works.

Method 2: Legit

CAtXz.gif
Roggah - Zeromus: Essence of Odium

(Sorry, that&#8217;s my favourite version of the BGM&#8212;I like the percussion, solos, and bassline a ton.)

vIBGl.png
HAZkO.png

So let&#8217;s bear in mind that Zeromus becomes more and more ridiculous as the battle wears on. That means you have to take some extra precautions.

That Bahamut seems really awesome to use because it deals 9999 damage all the time, but it&#8217;s not advisable in the DS version of the game because he&#8217;ll use Psych to counter your use of it. Actually, in the DS version, if you time it right, you can take advantage of him skipping his Big Bang turn to counter attack you instead. But it&#8217;s not something you should completely rely on.

hUYmf.png
yI1FA.png
BMZRE.png

As much as you&#8217;d like to use White and Meteo, he&#8217;ll counter with Nuke as well. So be careful&#8230;

oQS4n.png

&#8230;and keep your HP topped up.

tUklR.png

He seems to love inflicting Sap on you, whether through Virus or Big Bang. Again, it&#8217;s important to keep having Beer cast Cure 3 or Cure 4 to keep your HP up.

Jm6q3.png
Ez3lJ.png

This is the stage of the battle where he gets fucking annoying. He goes berserk, uses whatever he wants on you, and then sometimes he likes using Meteo on you 200 times in a row. Or in Corvo&#8217;s case, he loves to use Big Bang 200 times in a row. Just keep your cool, keep your guard up, and heal. If you&#8217;re playing other versions, it&#8217;s probably advisable to keep your buffs up too.

After all the bullshit he&#8217;s putting you through, you know what would be the best way to kill Zeromus?

HVixg.png
DgI1c.png
LQuCX.png

Hey you guys Cena got to beat Zeromus with a fucking spoon! A spoon saved the universe! It&#8217;s fitting! Spoons are huge part of FF4, after all. Abe knew what was up.

gxf2W.png
KoFHR.png
KAesb.png
G5ZGy.png

I think he&#8217;s delusional. I think he&#8217;s talking about the Powerpuff Girls.

Anyway, he says he&#8217;s still going to exist, but I guess he&#8217;s going to go to the Void now? I dunno.

5u8ba.png
RUZMX.png
finalfantasyii0512qjj1i.png
finalfantasyii0513z9kj7.png

And Cena ruins it all by sounding like a character from Clueless. Fantastic. And if FF4 DS is anything to go by, maybe Batman&#8217;s father gave them accelerated learning courses or something.

finalfantasyii051578jf6.png
finalfantasyii0517xpj5f.png

finalfantasyii0519zdk35.png
finalfantasyii0521lgk72.png
finalfantasyii05238zkrm.png

So I think this game&#8217;s trying to make point about something, but it kind of glosses over it? Santa&#8217;s trying to say that even though there&#8217;s good and bad in the world, they need each other to exist (and you need to be a good kid or else you won&#8217;t get presents from him this year).

But what he&#8217;s saying is more closely related to Batman&#8217;s story than anything else. He was a DKnight wielding evil, but he was good at heart and sought to redeem himself. And through his redemption, he was no longer shackled and restricted like he previously was. He was free to send people to their deaths and ogle women and be manly and whatever. Those who surround themselves with darkness and evil are always going to be at someone else&#8217;s beck and call, or they might be susceptible to the worst of their emotions and traits that they become easily consumed by them and thus their actions are tainted with sin. It&#8217;s what happened to Tommy and Golbez, both of whom fell victim to jealousy. It&#8217;s even more telling that Tommy was the one who raised the issue.

finalfantasyii0525p1j4w.png

Cena, you don&#8217;t understand shit.

finalfantasyii0529v8ks2.png

Hahahahaha, I like her. I can&#8217;t remember how this line went in other versions of the game, but man, this is great.

finalfantasyii0531qdj08.png

Cena is really starting to lose all of the good will he received when he killed Zeromus with the spoon. Really.

Cena sucks. We need to return to the Attitude Era.

finalfantasyii0533wnjdw.png

Santa&#8217;s so bored by Cena&#8217;s antics that he wants to go to sleep.

finalfantasyii053531jcm.png
finalfantasyii0537f6k7k.png
finalfantasyii0539wejnr.png

Wait, no! We need more Golbez on the Blue Planet.

finalfantasyii0541qkjx9.png
finalfantasyii0543ktknf.png

But at least Golbez shows that he has a brain. He&#8217;s not stupid. They&#8217;d probably start conducting a witch hunt for him if he steps off of the Big Whale. And this makes sense&#8212;he was probably closer to his father than he was to his mother. At least, it made it seem like he was learning spells from him at an early age.

finalfantasyii0545nhjj3.png

I wish I could have a very long sleep!

finalfantasyii0547smj5o.png
finalfantasyii05492wj8e.png

Not this shit again.

finalfantasyii05513sj7j.png
finalfantasyii0553tzkbu.png
finalfantasyii05553ojbb.png
finalfantasyii0557grjqs.png

At least Golbez is being incredibly cordial about this, and it truly does seem like he wants to make amends for everything that he did while under the influence. But Batman&#8217;s an idiot so he doesn&#8217;t care.

finalfantasyii0560xpktl.png
finalfantasyii0562f6kz8.png
finalfantasyii0563pzkda.png
finalfantasyii0564f1js1.png

This is un-fucking-bearable.

finalfantasyii0572y2koj.png
finalfantasyii0584rakqy.png

I can&#8217;t believe I&#8217;m sitting through this shit.

finalfantasyii0587mrk80.png
finalfantasyii0589kxk4c.png
finalfantasyii0592hdkqe.png
finalfantasyii0594vrjff.png

Really?

Do I need to tell you how terribly this scene is directed? Do need to spell out how terrible the dialogue is here? This is supposed to paint Cecil and Golbez&#8217;s relationship as incredibly strained and awkward, but then Cecil finally acknowledges that Golbez is his brother and it&#8217;s supposed to be a solemn parting because they barely knew each other when they want to finally get to know each other.

But the entire scene comes off in a way that&#8217;s similar to getting your teeth pulled. There are so many ellipses, pauses, animating that you look down, and coaxing on Cecil&#8217;s behalf that it completely ruins the scene. I don&#8217;t know how you could force awkwardness, but this scene successfully did it somehow.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
B4OFc.gif
Epilogue

finalfantasyii0604kvk7e.png

I always thought this scene was really cool. It was really mindblowing when I was younger, I guess. I didn&#8217;t know console games were even capable of this stuff. And then the game turns into Star Wars for a while&#8230;

finalfantasyii0629iwjnz.png
finalfantasyii06318jjy2.png
finalfantasyii0632pckli.png
finalfantasyii06340bkx3.png

Those last few lines are new.

finalfantasyii0638j1jog.png
finalfantasyii0641lykt3.png
finalfantasyii0644r5kwn.png

Yeah, instead of keeping the massive and convenient spaceship around for study and/or exploration, we&#8217;re going to stick it at the bottom of the ocean again. Because when the fuck are we going to use it again, right?

finalfantasyii0648srk7u.png
finalfantasyii0651l4kpr.png

Just the people I wanted to know about. They&#8217;re the first people on my mind. Really.

(C&#8217;mon, game.)

finalfantasyii0653t1jvc.png
finalfantasyii06541nkhq.png

Oooooooooooooooooooooo

Slam&#8217;s with a girl. I wonder who she is?! And she seems to be digging his story. Go for it, man! Be confident!

finalfantasyii0658h4j8m.png
finalfantasyii0660lujfr.png
finalfantasyii06638gkob.png

Jam sucks. She&#8217;s terrible. She doesn&#8217;t know how to have fun once in a while. She&#8217;s gonna grow up to be incredibly boring, I bet. She&#8217;s probably going to take over for the Elder in the end and live in that tower for all eternity.

finalfantasyii0664dckgk.png
finalfantasyii0666avkdr.png
finalfantasyii0668s9jn9.png

I&#8217;m shaking my head in disbelief here. I&#8217;m starting to think Jam&#8217;s the worst twin. Slam knows when he needs a break, and besides, the kid&#8217;s a genius. He doesn&#8217;t need this shit.

finalfantasyii0670nsuqx.png

We now shift to John Cena, who&#8217;s now the Champion. I mean, he&#8217;s the King of Eblan. Obviously because he killed Zeromus with a Spoon.

finalfantasyii0671f1u47.png
finalfantasyii06738muwj.png
finalfantasyii0675hfu87.png
finalfantasyii0677l0uwf.png

Yeah, I&#8217;m skeptical of Cena running a country himself too. I mean, shit, he&#8217;s 26, right? I&#8217;m 24 and I could probably run a country better than he could. Chamberlain has the right idea here.

finalfantasyii06799vuqj.png
finalfantasyii0681j4ufw.png
finalfantasyii0691ejuif.png

And he&#8217;s still hung up on Clair. He has very little chance with her. Hell, Batman has a better chance with her than he does. Someone needs to learn to grow up.

finalfantasyii0693j4ub7.png

I&#8217;m going to guess that Clair&#8217;s in the Land of Summons just because she wants to accelerate her age again so Cena won&#8217;t chase after her anymore. Smart plan?

finalfantasyii0695dqufc.png

Yeah, I mean&#8230; why the fuck would you want to stay around monsters all your life? C&#8217;mon, game. She has no one else and no one thinks that&#8217;s incredibly unfortunate?

finalfantasyii0700zguaz.png
finalfantasyii0702lsud9.png
finalfantasyii0706mruet.png

Yeah, I mean&#8230; outside of the tail, the pointed ears, the crazy powers&#8230;

Humans have canines. They&#8217;re&#8230; kind of like fangs?

finalfantasyii07089hugq.png

This shit sounds creepy as hell. *shudder*

finalfantasyii07116su03.png
finalfantasyii0712e5upp.png

&#8230;Batman was totally her first crush, wasn&#8217;t he?

finalfantasyii07141nuu0.png

Shit, everyone&#8217;s a King now! Donnie proved that his brand of KARATE was the best so now he&#8217;s the King of Fabul.

finalfantasyii0716pxutd.png
finalfantasyii0718drkfz.png

Whoa. Where the hell did this come from? Pretty sure royalty can still use pet names, right? Respect for Donnie has plummeted.

finalfantasyii0719b4uej.png
finalfantasyii0720w9ixj.png
finalfantasyii0721gfczn.png

Uh. But apparently Donnie doesn&#8217;t like formalities either. Make up your mind?

(Obviously that was supposed to be Donnie&#8217;s Wife, but they screwed up somewhere. The line after was supposed to be him running away from a fight with his wife.)

finalfantasyii0723yqec3.png
finalfantasyii0724x0d13.png

This entire scene is a headscratcher. Uh. I think we should move on before the dialogue gets all sorts of weird.

finalfantasyii072723ecu.png

So I guess Bolton&#8217;s the King of Damcyan.

finalfantasyii0731xfe47.png
finalfantasyii0732igild.png
finalfantasyii0734npc1l.png
finalfantasyii0736dxirp.png

Ok, he&#8217;s not the King. And yes, &#8220;minstrelsy&#8221; is a word. It&#8217;s not used often, but it&#8217;s a word. It&#8217;s supposed to refer to songs sung by medieval minstrels.

finalfantasyii0738xyez4.png
finalfantasyii0740bjeyl.png
finalfantasyii074203eop.png

You know, with all this dialogue, even Bolton and Anna seem to have a stronger and deeper relationship than Batman and Beer.

Bolton redeemed.

finalfantasyii0745lpfc8.png

Yeeeeesssssss. Giott&#8217;s even in the thick of rebuilding his castle.

finalfantasyii0747kecgj.png
finalfantasyii07495ae4y.png

You hear that, he wants it fast. Get it done, dwarves. Or else you&#8217;ll have to cut your beautiful beards.

finalfantasyii0751q1dcz.png

Really? This is the master plan?

Giott, no. This is probably the most foolish thing you&#8217;ve ever uttered. You can&#8217;t have peace without war.

finalfantasyii0755p4fet.png

I didn&#8217;t gif it, but I like calling FF4&#8217;s ending the &#8220;Dancing Chronicles&#8221; because that&#8217;s all everyone does in it. In almost every scene, someone jumps and twirls, or merely twirls. It&#8217;s just interesting to observe.

finalfantasyii07583neiy.png
finalfantasyii0760kcdwp.png
finalfantasyii07627ruzf.png

Why? Batman&#8217;s proven time and time again that he can&#8217;t rule a kingdom. He makes so many mistakes, and he&#8217;s incredibly indecisive. You want someone like that to be your ruler? You can&#8217;t make a ruler rule a powerful kingdom based on strength and charisma alone.

That&#8217;s why Suikoden ended the way it ended.

finalfantasyii0764i8uj2.png
finalfantasyii0767stuxi.png

Oh no, honey. You did not.

finalfantasyii0769n4uad.png
finalfantasyii0771zkupa.png

Of course. Giott doesn&#8217;t have anything against anyone.

finalfantasyii0772klut7.png

Finally we meet Tommy&#8230; who&#8217;s now helmetless. He&#8217;s on Mount Ordeals.

finalfantasyii07745du2o.png
finalfantasyii07762pu3d.png
finalfantasyii077996u6a.png

&#8230;he&#8217;ll be stuck on Mt. Odeals for nearly two decades, I think. I mean, you wouldn&#8217;t want to go to a wedding where your best friend is marrying the person you&#8217;ve loved since probably childhood, right? It&#8217;d be incredibly awkward and awful.

Tommy needs to post in the Dating-Age thread more often. Though I wonder what his posts would be like.

finalfantasyii078279uu1.png

I didn&#8217;t know these guys were part of my crew.

finalfantasyii0786a5uox.png
finalfantasyii0787e4uhl.png

Yes, that&#8217;s the moon in the sky. Good job.

finalfantasyii079086ug4.png
finalfantasyii0796wdu21.png
finalfantasyii0799i4ua3.png
finalfantasyii0801x1ujn.png

finalfantasyii0803gzupl.png
finalfantasyii080559u68.png
finalfantasyii080787d92.png
finalfantasyii0808wbehv.png

I don&#8217;t have to go in-depth again about how awesome I thought the Mode 7 was in this, right? That means Santa and Golbez have left. I&#8217;m awfully sad.

finalfantasyii0813enftf.png
finalfantasyii0815n6ef6.png

Not this shit again.

finalfantasyii0817t3dcq.png
finalfantasyii0819ccfx8.png
finalfantasyii0821v0fr4.png

Notice how their dialogue is actually worse than everyone else&#8217;s. Also, two beds, you guys? At least you had the decency to push them together, but&#8230; you couldn&#8217;t spring for a massive King-size bed?

finalfantasyii0823i0f7c.png
finalfantasyii0826dod07.png
finalfantasyii0828zwchj.png

Oh thank God. Haddock&#8217;s come to save me from boredom.

finalfantasyii0830l9ecg.png
finalfantasyii0833jvfib.png

Yes, finally, Batman&#8217;s going to live out his dream of being a raging alcoholic king.

finalfantasyii0834g2e56.png
finalfantasyii0836hhe03.png
finalfantasyii0839eoek8.png

Hold up. It&#8217;s their wedding day? I don&#8217;t have a lot of experience with weddings and stuff, but you&#8217;re not supposed to see the groom before the wedding, right? Something about tradition or bad luck or something?

What, Batman couldn&#8217;t wait and decided he needed to get drunk right away?

finalfantasyii0843agdcv.png
finalfantasyii08450ji39.png
finalfantasyii08470ket3.png

Squall and Batman need to have a competition for who uses the most ellipses.

Finally, we have this scene that&#8217;s&#8230; a wedding. Or reception. Or&#8230; a coronation. Something. I don&#8217;t even know what this is. This definitely isn&#8217;t a wedding. And you can&#8217;t tell me that they couldn&#8217;t spring for another model for Beer in terms of a wedding dress? Give me a break.

finalfantasyii0853ozfse.png
finalfantasyii0855e5ci6.png

Cena and Haddock are the first ones to attend. Cena decides to flirt with Beer until Haddock roughly pulls him aside and gives him a talking to. Pretty sure Cena retorts back. It&#8217;s the little things like this that make me like the scene a lot.

finalfantasyii0857k2jf3.png
finalfantasyii0863crjxs.png
finalfantasyii08648iknn.png
finalfantasyii0870x2kuc.png

Giott and Luca are the next ones to appear. They talk to Batman and Beer for a bit, and then Giott talks to Cena. It&#8217;s likely because Giott and Cena have to work so closely together now, considering Eblan&#8217;s kind of linked with the underground. I&#8217;d like to think they&#8217;re talking about diplomacy and politics, anyway. Luca&#8217;s so absorbed in Batman&#8217;s sparkly face that Giott has to tear her away.

finalfantasyii0876czk6n.png
finalfantasyii0878kmjpo.png
finalfantasyii08803qj0l.png

Donnie&#8217;s so dignified that he makes people bow down to him

finalfantasyii0882m2k4t.png
finalfantasyii0887tzk91.png
finalfantasyii0896tikzy.png
finalfantasyii0906q2jyl.png

Wahahaha, look at how many fucks Slam gives about the wedding. I think Slam would make a better king than Batman in all honesty. Once again, Jam has no idea how to have fun so she slaps him upside the head.

finalfantasyii0911q0j0n.png
finalfantasyii0915k8kkr.png
finalfantasyii0917q5k84.png

I think Slam&#8217;s taking a few pages out of Cena&#8217;s book.

finalfantasyii0924vyj7d.png
finalfantasyii0926x1kmi.png
finalfantasyii0931aeu5x.png

Bolton, you&#8217;re boring.

finalfantasyii0936akufo.png
finalfantasyii0941tiuql.png
finalfantasyii0944emuox.png

Notice that Cena turns away from her and he doesn&#8217;t want to look at her.

Either that or he&#8217;s hiding something. Heh.

finalfantasyii09510puqt.png
finalfantasyii0953wku0o.png

Ahaha, he doesn&#8217;t even want to talk to her and now it&#8217;s all awkward as hell.

finalfantasyii09622hues.png
finalfantasyii09693iuwa.png
finalfantasyii09701uue0.png

I have no idea what some of these animations mean. They&#8217;re all lining up in the centre for some reason.

finalfantasyii0981vru0p.png
finalfantasyii0998neuog.png

The characters are all saying farewell to the player! That&#8217;s rather nice. An idealistic end for Batman Harvey.

But we all know where Batman really is, right?

Fpkhb.png

He&#8217;s really here. A tragedy. At least he redeemed himself in his dream?

finalfantasyii1013rluln.png

Hironobu Sakaguchi is now at Mistwalker. He&#8217;s worked on games like Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, and Blue Dragon. I&#8217;ve only played one of those because I don&#8217;t have a 360. :p

finalfantasyii1023hgur2.png

Yoshitaka Amano continues to do the logo designs and some artwork for Final Fantasy. I don&#8217;t know why he didn&#8217;t do the Lightning Returns one at all.

Nobuo Uematsu is now freelance, started up his own studio, and participated in a few bands. He still composes for Square-Enix from time to time, and he composes stuff for Mistwalker&#8217;s bigger projects.

finalfantasyii102929uwb.png

Takashi Tokita is better known for having directed Parasite Eve and co-directing Chrono Trigger. He still works for Square-Enix in producer and director roles.

Ken Narita still works for SE, right? I know he did a lot of programming up to FF12.

finalfantasyii1039jjk0u.png

Kazuhiko Aoki assembled the team who worked on Chrono Trigger, did you know that? He did the event design in FF7 and FF9.

Hiroyuki Ito is stuck in Square-Enix&#8217;s basement. ;-;

Akihiko Matsui also directed Chrono Trigger and worked on FF11 and FF14.

finalfantasyii1045ivkck.png

Welp. If you want to send angry letters to people for this game&#8217;s translation, I guess you should send them to these guys?

finalfantasyii1059j8kzc.png

And with that, Final Fantasy IV for the Super Nintendo is finished, and probably won&#8217;t ever be played again unless I decide to abandon all sanity and speedrun the game. I never want to play this game for the next decade. Square-Enix needs to stop releasing different versions of Final Fantasy IV. It&#8217;s had enough time in the spotlight. It&#8217;s time to give another game that same treatment (Final Fantasy V). Final Fantasy IV was not my first Final Fantasy game, but it was the first Final Fantasy game that made me pay attention the series finally. Even if I don&#8217;t like it much now, I still have to credit it for getting me into the series after feeling underwhelmed by Final Fantasy I.

Thanks for following along for these past few months, guys and girls. I mean it. There were times when I wanted to stop playing it or let it fall to the wayside, but knowing that people were getting a kick out of the playthrough posts kept me going. I appreciate the PMs I got about it as well. Even if you didn&#8217;t post in the thread or didn&#8217;t say anything about it publicly (but said things to me privately), I&#8217;m glad to know that people are actually reading the posts because they do take up quite a chunk of time to prepare. Thanks also to the people who made &#8216;shops and modified screenshots because I got a huge laugh from them, and they added a lot of flavour to the playthrough.

With that said, I think this might be my final playthrough-related post in this thread, unless the thread is bumped after this year is over. I&#8217;ve had requests to go through The After Years, FF6, or FF8, and while I&#8217;d like to do one of them, I&#8217;d really like to take a bit of a break from this stuff. I love doing it, but it's a lot of work! With that said, I&#8217;ve enjoyed reading other people&#8217;s playthroughs too! It&#8217;s clear a lot of you put a lot of time and effort into your playthrough posts and I appreciate all of the work you all have done.

Maybe one day I&#8217;ll do another playthrough. Just not immediately.

Jucksalbe

Banned
With that said, I think this might be my final playthrough-related post in this thread, unless the thread is bumped after this year is over. I’ve had requests to go through The After Years, FF6, or FF8, and while I’d like to do one of them, I’d really like to take a bit of a break from this stuff. I love doing it, but it's a lot of work! With that said, I’ve enjoyed reading other people’s playthroughs too! It’s clear a lot of you put a lot of time and effort into your playthrough posts and I appreciate all of the work you all have done.

Thanks for your playthrough! 35 very long and detailed posts on FF IV. You could probably have finished the game five times in the time it took to write those posts.
I really hope this thread will continue next year. Just change the thread title to "26th anniversary" and we're good to go.

Heropon

Thanks for all your hard work, Schala! I loved how you used even the credits! I don't have words to say how good your playthrough was.

I don't feel like quoting the post about G-Fex, but he defeated Ridley the Sunday in his first try. The bad thing is that he didn't save the animals at the end of the game! Such a monster, the timeline has been changed!

Ultratech

I'm still playing through III slowly (no joke, I've been taking months at this rate), but I just got to the point where I can get the Earth Crystal jobs, so I'm almost done.

Been taking tons of screenshots as well, so look forward to that when I manage to finish up.

Top Bottom