• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akihiro Hino Talks White Knight

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/737/737646p1.html

Speaking with Japan's Weekly Famitsu magazine, Akihiro Hino, president of developer Level 5 and producer of White Knight Story, said that he hopes to make a game with a 50 to 60 hour play time, which he referred to as a typical play time for an RPG. "With White Knight Story, we don't want to release a half-way product," said Hino. "We want to have a big title that surpasses the volume of the RPGs we've made in the past."

So White Knight clearly won't be some rushed first generation RPG project. But Level 5 apparently had pressure to do just that, with Hino revealing that there was some talk of attempting to get the game out around the time of the PS3's launch. In order to meet the launch, Hino says, Level 5 would've had to cut the story short, which is something he didn't want to do.

While Hino didn't share any new details on White Knight with the magazine, he did provide some insight into his personal gaming tastes. When asked what games he's paying attention to on other hardware, he responded with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, citing the need to match the "extremely beautiful visuals" in those titles.

Hino didn't have anything bad to say about any of the current and upcoming hardware. "The Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3, the DS and the PSP... I think this will be the most exciting year end period ever."

It looks like SCEJ is begging everybody to get there games near launch. Good thing they didn't listen, I have high hopes for this one.

relyt9

That pisses me off that they're begging people to release software that isn't ready... I know they want launch titles but they shouldn't represent their console with shit just because they want to up the launch list one point. Oh well.

Nice find anyways.

JayDubya

Banned
After watching the trailer for it, this game is probably the best reason to regret not having a PS3 early on. =(

"The Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3, the DS and the PSP... I think this will be the most exciting year end period ever."

I do agree with this quote. There seems to literally be something for everybody (throw PC in and it's even more varied).

relyt9 said:
That pisses me off that they're begging people to release software that isn't ready... I know they want launch titles but they shouldn't represent their console with shit just because they want to up the launch list one point. Oh well.

Nice find anyways.

What's the problem with it? It's launch time so they'd obviously want a big RPG like that at launch. But they're allowing him to take his time so its not a problem really.

birdchili

relyt9 said:
That pisses me off that they're begging people to release software that isn't ready...

...particularly given how slow they were providing devkits. sheesh.

having an actual A-list rpg near launch would be a first for a console i think... certainly the near-launch ps1/ps2 rpgs were pretty sketchy.

SolidSnakex said:
What's the problem with it? It's launch time so they'd obviously want a big RPG like that at launch. But they're allowing him to take his time so its not a problem really.

The simple solution is delay the launch and release when, there's enough games completed worth buying, there's enough systems for the market, manufacturing is cheap enough to avoid gouging the consumer. Never happen.

LevelNth

Banned
I think this whole 'SCE pressuring devs' thing is being completely blown out of proportion. Sony has never, ever been that forthright with developers, and if anything, have been the most lax out of all the hardware developers when it comes to letting each developer do what they want on their machine. I think the pressuring and begging is much more likely to be simply requesting.

Not to mention WKS is funded by SCE; it's their game. So there would be no need to pressure L5 if they wanted it out at launch, they'd simply tell them to do it. If anything, the fact that L5 said we don't want to, and Sony (obviously) was fine with that, goes to show how good the relationship is between the two companies.

Kittonwy

Banned
relyt9 said:

Nice find anyways.

I don't see your point, because every single one of the titles that needed more time are in fact getting more time. Lair, Warhawk, White Knight Story, Heavenly Sword, are all games that are NOT being rushed.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Damn it Sony, they pulled that same shit with Capcom and DMC4.

YOU CANNOT RUSH ART GOD DAMN IT!!!

Sony: Can you guys make launch?
Capcom: No, maybe holiday 2007.
Sony: Okey dokey.
Over-reacting Capcom fans: Don't rush art you Sony bastards!!!

Indifferent2.gif

Raistlin

OMG ... I love the Sony hate.

Considering Level 5 said no ... obviously Sony isn't FORCING people to rush ... they are simply requesting titles to be ready for launch when reasonable.

Seriously ... wtf :lol

PleoMax

Banned
LevelNth said:
I think this whole 'SCE pressuring devs' thing is being completely blown out of proportion. Sony has never, ever been that forthright with developers, and if anything, have been the most lax out of all the hardware developers when it comes to letting each developer do what they want on their machine. I think the pressuring and begging is much more likely to be simply requesting.

Not to mention WKS is funded by SCE; it's their game. So there would be no need to pressure L5 if they wanted it out at launch, they'd simply tell them to do it. If anything, the fact that L5 said we don't want to, and Sony (obviously) was fine with that, goes to show how good the relationship is between the two companies.

Honestly, if Sony had forced Level 5 to rush it...probably...level 5 would tell Sony to go suck a dick, and if it came to that they would just break relations with sony.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kittonwy said:

Indifferent2.gif
lol
just about sums it up though

Surreal

I'm really really excited for the game. Just seems like the complete package. When I noticed it had online play:

wksclearonline.jpg

My interest shot up about 500%, I really wonder what they're going to do with it.

Kittonwy

Banned
PleoMax said:
Honestly, if Sony had forced Level 5 to rush it...probably...level 5 would tell Sony to go suck a dick, and if it came to that they would just break relations with sony.

Given the fact that Sony has supported Level 5 through three games already and is currently supporting Level 5 on a PS3 and a PSP game, I doubt they would break relations with Sony, I would venture to say Sony and Level 5 have a very close relationship, and obviously Sony is letting Level 5 take the time necessary to develop a quality RPG, even if Sony would have liked the idea of having a quality Level 5 RPG at launch. TFLO was the last time Level 5 got screwed and Sony sure as hell wasn't the culprit, THAT was something truly worth breaking relations over.

Kittonwy said:

Indifferent2.gif

Exactly, you can probably pick any company and they'd be asking if one of their developers could get a game done in a certain time frame. And when they say no that's that. I mean look at ICO and SoTC. They both had a 4 year development cycle. There's a difference between rushing a developer and just asking them if it was possible for them to have it done at a certain time and then letting them go about their business when they say no.

JayDubya said:
After watching the trailer for it, this game is probably the best reason to regret not having a PS3 early on. =(
It was the final thing that convinced me to try to grab a launch console. We'll see how that goes :/

PleoMax

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Given the fact that Sony has supported Level 5 through three games already and is currently supporting Level 5 on a PS3 and a PSP game, I doubt they would break relations with Sony, I would venture to say Sony and Level 5 have a very close relationship, and obviously Sony is letting Level 5 take the time necessary to develop a quality RPG, even if Sony would have liked the idea of having a quality Level 5 RPG at launch. TFLO was the last time Level 5 got screwed and Sony sure as hell wasn't the culprit, THAT was something truly worth breaking relations over.

Actually it was MS that got screwed with the Level 5 thing, i don't know where you are getting that from. Do you even know the story? Level 5 using MS money to fund other projects while acting as if True fantasy was some side project.

PleoMax said:
Actually it was MS that got screwed with the Level 5 thing, i don't know where you are getting that from. Do you even know the story? Level 5 using MS money to fund other projects while acting as if True fantasy was some side project.

There are many "stories" that surround TFLO, but only L5 and MS know which is real. One of them is that MS wanted TFLO to being something that L5 wasn't interested in doing and they both ended up breaking off ties instead of going through it. MS fully funded TFLO so everything still belongs to them and they can still make the game if they ever want to.

L5 seems pretty happy with Sony now though. Hino's said their focus is goign to be on the PS3 now.

Kittonwy

Banned
PleoMax said:

And you believe that? It was MS that canned the title, because Level 5 couldn't do voice chat.

No offense, Level 5 was working on DQVIII, the biggest RPG franchise ever, everything else by comparison WAS a side project and should be a side project. It's not like TFLO was ever in bad shape either, they were finishing up on it when MS yanked the carpet from under their feet.

Barakov

JayDubya said:

Yeah. Definitely getting this the day it hits.

Surreal said:
I'm really really excited for the game. Just seems like the complete package. When I noticed it had online play:

wksclearonline.jpg

My interest shot up about 500%, I really wonder what they're going to do with it.

Other than the much dreaded downloadable content, what could that be? Unless they're going to possible allow 3 people to play online with each controlling one of those characters which would kick ass.

Bebpo

Banned
50-60 hours yet more content than any of their previous games?

Did they not play Dark Chronicle/DC2 after they made it? :lol

SolidSnakex said:
Other than the much dreaded downloadable content, what could that be? Unless they're going to possible allow 3 people to play online with each controlling one of those characters which would kick ass.

Ummm...yeah that's basically it. Going by the way the game plays it doesn't look like there's any reason why they couldn't have each of the characters controlled by an individual player. If Rogue Galaxy had online co-op it would've been a hell of a lot better game. If this has 3 player co-op online with voice acting it's gonna be WOW.

LevelNth

Banned
PleoMax said:
Except that's not the story, at all. For one, L5 has yet to fund any of their projects themselves, as SE contracted them for DQVIII, and SCE has fully funded and supported all 5 of their other titles (and even shifted a good 20-25 SCE members into the Level 5 team). So that theory gets broken right there as a result.

From what I know, the problem with TFLO was due to both MS and L5. Right when TFLO got contracted, L5 was hitting the limelight. DC1 had done close to a million worldwide, DC2 close to 500k, and reportedly Sony had not only just greenlighted yet another RPG from them for a much higher budget (aka. Rogue Galaxy), but they also shifted around 20-25 Japan Studio devs to the L5 team, to supplement their rapid expansion (L5 was at 40 employees when they began DC1, 70 when they finished DC2, and then shot up to over 100, now sitting at about 120).

And if all that wasn't enough, after Heartbeat withdrew from the DQ series, SE was looking for a new team for the mega franchise. Supposedly SCE recommended them to go with Level 5 instead of ArtePiazza (who did the DQV remake) so that they could give the game a much more updated look than fans are used to. Yada yada, SE signed up L5 for DQVIII.

Anyways, to get back to the point, MS, what with their mountains of money, saw an opportunity, and took it. Problem is, the project was likely doomed from the start. For one, L5 had absolutely zero experience in network coding, in any facet, let alone a full scale MMO. And as it turned out, it doesn't seem they were ready to do it. And to make matters worse, L5 had their best coders and artists on RG and DQVIII, understandably. DQVIII was an incredible opportunity to make their name known (something Hino has always wanted) and their close relationship with SCE had now allowed for a lot of freedom, as Sony now let L5 completely control all facets of their projects together, making them more L5's games than anyone elses.

In contrast, TFLO was Microsoft's game, through and through, and it was to be one of their biggest pushes for the Xbox in Japan. I'm still trying to find out some more details, but supposedly there was massive disagreements with the direction of the game, and L5 continued to have some serious trouble with the network coding, and especially in implementing the voice chat in an MMO setting. One thing lead to another, and MS finally pulled the plug. Supposedly, they did so rather abruptly, and (understandably, since MS owned all the IP), went into L5 somewhat unannounced to retrieve all the work. L5 was pissed because of this, and MS didn't care because they were pissed L5 wasn't up to the task (which, to be fair to MS, they kinda weren't) and they wasted a good bit of cash.

All in all, a messy deal that MS shouldn't have offered and L5 shouldn't have accepted, as the only thing that came of it is that the two will likely never work together again.

Bebpo said:
Ummm...yeah that's basically it. Going by the way the game plays it doesn't look like there's any reason why they couldn't have each of the characters controlled by an individual player. If Rogue Galaxy had online co-op it would've been a hell of a lot better game. If this has 3 player co-op online with voice acting it's gonna be WOW.

That certainly would be amazing. And it'd take the game one step further into Hino's direction of really distancing itself from typical RPG's. The team aspect they showed in the battle system could really shine if its online.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Thats a really good summary LevelNth, thanks for the post

LevelNth

Banned
Suikoguy said:
Thats a really good summary LevelNth, thanks for the post
Np. :)

I'm quite a Level 5 fanboy (just ask jarrod =p), and it kinda irks me when people spew the 'they stole MS' money oh noes!' line. The whole deal is much more complex, and has ****-ups on both sides. It's a shame too, as the game looked incredible, but L5 was just taking on too much, and simply didn't have the networking talent, and MS still had a lot to learn when it came to dealing with JP devs.

PleoMax

Banned
LevelNth said:
Np. :)

I'm quite a Level 5 fanboy (just ask jarrod =p), and it kinda irks me when people spew the 'they stole MS' money oh noes!' line. The whole deal is much more complex, and has ****-ups on both sides. It's a shame too, as the game looked incredible, but L5 was just taking on too much, and simply didn't have the networking talent, and MS still had a lot to learn when it came to dealing with JP devs.

Right and you know all that because?

inb the TGS trailer, i didn't like how you have to set up a bunch of AI routines in the menu before a battle.

other than that, this game looks amazing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You guys are acting like Sony is the only one pressuring devs to ship games for launch.

Chrono

Banned
if sony thought WKS could be rushed to launch then L5 must be pretty far into development already... which means that a) that TGS video was not a target video like some were speculating and b) it really could ship late 2007... :)

Hunter D

Chrono said:
if sony thought WKS could be rushed to launch then L5 must be pretty far into development already... which means that a) that TGS video was not a target video like some were speculating and b) it really could ship late 2007... :)
People thought this game was a target render?

Hunter D

SolidSnakex said:
Yep, mostly because the animation is so clean.
The animation is beautiful, but the character models and textures weren't mindblowing. Games like AC and the naughty dog game have better animation IMO.

PleoMax

Banned
stressboy said:
Oh I am sure he doesn't. We all know that Level 5 ****ed MS. I mean that is what you want to hear, right?

Not really no. I was just asking, but apparently what he said is what you want to hear right?

Hunter D said:
The animation is beautiful, but the character models and textures weren't mindblowing. Games like AC and the naughty dog game have better animation IMO.

I couldn't really see any polygon edges on these character models at all, though, which is something I pretty much can't say of any other game. The amount of detail in the hair is truly impressive (I don't much like the character design, though). The environment textures and lighting look easily achievable.

Plus, assuming that what we saw is actually how the gameplay will look, the animation is leagues ahead of AC in terms of fluidity and blending. One caveat is that AC seems to be dealing with a lot more user input and a way wider range of motion, which would make it a ton harder to achieve the sort of near-flawless animation I see in this trailer.

Hunter D said:

There are games that have cooler aniamtions, but when you're talking about simply which has the smoothest all round animation. Nothing really touching WKS. Everything transitions extremely smoothly, there's no early animation ends from what we saw in that footage.

Gigglepoo

I'm actually surprised Sony is pushing companies for launch titles. Sony could literally launch with no games and still sell out this year. The Sony name carries a lot weight and there simply aren't a lot of systems to go around. They need games in March, when PS3s are in supply. Remember Oblivion and GRAW last year? Hit us big in May, trickle games throughout the rest of the year, and release the big guns next Sep - Dec.

BTW -Someone mentioned the coupe of having an A list RPG at launch. It may be a port and closer to Adventure than pure Role Playing, but Oblivion is an A title, maybe even AAA, anyway you look at it.

EDIT - Ico took FOUR YEARS? I refuse to believe that. SotC broke the damn system, but Ico? Why would that have taken four years?

klee123

as Levelnth says, I think it's more of a request. If the devs really can't do it, then Sony won't force them. I really doubt Sony themselves would like to have a game that they funded themselves to turn out to be half arsed.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Gigglepoo said:
I'm actually surprised Nintendo is pushing companies for launch titles. Nintendo could literally launch with no games and still sell out this year. The Nintendo name carries a lot weight and there simply aren't a lot of systems to go around.
Fixed. Welcome to pre-N64!

Gigglepoo said:
EDIT - Ico took FOUR YEARS? I refuse to believe that. SotC broke the damn system, but Ico? Why would that have taken four years?
Because ICO was originally developed for the PSX.

Gigglepoo

speedpop said:
Fixed. Welcome to pre-N64!

You are including N64 in that, right? I certainly wasn't saying Sony was the only company that could release a system with no games. Look at how well the NDS sold when Feel the Magic was its best game. The Wii and GC would have sold out with only 400K as well. It's supply and demand. No insult to anyone, not even the customers buying it. If you're going to own a system anyway (and who doesn't want a PS3? Come on!), I have no problem with people buying it before the Big Guns hit.

speedpop said:
Because ICO was originally developed for the PSX.

Was this their first game then? I could see it being a PSX game originally. It certainly doesn't push the PS2. When compared to the technical marvel that is SotC it makes even more sense. I cannot wait to see what they have in store for the PS3.

Top Bottom