• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akihiro Hino Talks White Knight

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Dante said:
Of course the animation is scripted, it's a frikkan turn based battle system. That doesn't change the fact that it's still fantastic animation. The transition to the player controlled non scripted stuff is almost seamless. Just compare this to other next gen turn based RPG's and you can see a night and day dieffernce in their "scripted animation" L5 said they were focusing on animation in this title and it shows.

Yeah no kidding.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
mattiewheels said:
this game looks exciting. i wish i could trade BOTH sakaguchi games to have this one on the 360.

Same here. 360 needs something new not derivative. DQ and FF clones are a good start but I want more.

J-Rzez

mattiewheels said:
this game looks exciting. i wish i could trade BOTH sakaguchi games to have this one on the 360.

Wow... that's a pretty harsh statement... but, I fully understand and agree (this game when I saw it, realtime or not, made me say WOW in realtime... L5 is incredible, and I'm sure if it wasn't all real, will look like that or better when finished) ... though, one of those two, I'm sure will be really pleasing, and I wish was on the PS3... Oh well... good thing I'll own both consoles :)

L5 built their own motion capture studio for the mocapping in this game (although they'll obviously use it for future games). But it shows how serious they're about it.

Some of the artwork released recently for those who missed it

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_25.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_27.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_28.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_31.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_32.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_33.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_41.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_37.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_38.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_44.jpg

14333_n20060929_shirokishi_30.jpg

Can't wait until they start showing the larger scale locaitons.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Exactly, you can probably pick any company and they'd be asking if one of their developers could get a game done in a certain time frame. And when they say no that's that. I mean look at ICO and SoTC. They both had a 4 year development cycle. There's a difference between rushing a developer and just asking them if it was possible for them to have it done at a certain time and then letting them go about their business when they say no.

... is GTHD the big exception here? ;)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Damn, i'd love some of that art framed and put on my wall.. wow

AAK

Yoboman said:
Reminds me so much of something out of a Miyazaki film. Perfect.:D

That was the EXACT same feeling I was having staring at those artworks.... (Can't wait for his next film)

Akira

Wow. Seeing what the game looks like from the trailer, it won't be too far away from the artwork. Amazing originality, and agree with the comment about the artwork being Miyazaki-like in its imagination. I will (try to) get a PS3 when this game comes out!

Dante

momolicious said:
the video seriously does look like a gameplay target or showing how it would be when its finished

:lol In what way? It looks nothing like CG in stills or the video for that manner.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Someone with contacts need to give them a nudge to sell this artwork.
I'm serious :)

xaosslug

Let's not forget that many boss battles in White Knight Story will be on a Shadow of the Colossus type of scale. O_O

DCharlie said:
... is GTHD the big exception here? ;)

Well, after the numerous GT4 delays Polyphony were allowed, and virtually non-existent GTMobile, Sony'd prob. decided to lay down the law. ;p

Seriously though, was GTHD a result of Sony pressuring Polyphony to have something ready for launch?? I didn't know that.

Yoboman

AAK said:
That was the EXACT same feeling I was having staring at those artworks.... (Can't wait for his next film)
It's like Howl's Moving Castle with a good measure of Spirited Away thrown in. I also was reminded of Laputa in the art we got around TGS.

Miyazaki is godly, I hope Level 5 can get this look translated into the game, it's hard to say off the trailer we saw. I can't wait for Miyazaki's next film aswell, I'd like something more mature like Princess Mononoke again. His son's film is supposed to be great aswell, but we're not getting an English version till 2009 WTF :(

Yoboman

xaosslug said:
14333_n20060929_shirokishi_23.jpg

I LOVE these. Wow
Hasn't translated that well into the game though IMO

white-knight-story-20060922003230897.jpg

Hopefully a work in progress, they NEED to get that Knight looking as badass as the artwork

Dante

SatelliteOfLove said:
Welp, lessee here: FFXIII, VF5, now this. A PS3 purchase in the future is a lock, baby.

Ahhhh VF5 is not too far off, Everytime I think of playing that at home i get all giddy! Man to think of all the stuff that hasn't been revealed yet also. Wipeout, Killzone, Next Team Ico project....

nitewulf

SolidSnakex said:
godly visuals. the battles look like what i actually expected a long time ago, in the ps2 gen...scripted animations...attacks, blocks, parries...this should have been done a while ago. not surprising to me. still honestly dont mind the turn based stuff of LO and BD either, i loved FFX's quick system. as long as anything is quick and graphically intense, its enjoyable. looks like this gen would be heaven for rpg lovers. the graphics of these games are blowing my mind.

xaosslug

Yoboman said:
Hasn't translated that well into the game though IMO

white-knight-story-20060922003230897.jpg

Hopefully a work in progress, they NEED to get that Knight looking as badass as the artwork

urm... looks close enough for me. lol What are you on? It's artwork, which is just a general ideal, an outline to "flesh out" down the line. When has artwork ever been an example of a game's finished look?

Though, considering the experience of Level 5, I wouldn't be at all suprised if they nailed all that detail cold, in-game.

Yoboman

xaosslug said:
urm... looks close enough for me. lol What are you on? It's artwork, which is just a general ideal, an outline to "flesh out" down the line. When has artwork ever been an example of a game's finished look?

Though, considering the experience of Level 5, I wouldn't be at all suprised if they nailed all that detail cold, in-game.
The ingame model lacks alot of the edge of the artwork, that's all. I feel all the models do. Can't place what it is exactly, they need to fix up the feathers, get a cape on it and make it a little less lanky IMO

xaosslug

Yoboman said:
The ingame model lacks alot of the edge of the artwork, that's all. I feel all the models do. Can't place what it is exactly, they need to fix up the feathers, get a cape on it and make it a little less lanky IMO

What? Artwork is a representation of the "look" and "feel" the developers are shooting for, and not necessarily and example of the finished product. But, the game's only 10% done, so... yeah. ;p

Yoboman

xaosslug said:
What? Artwork is a representation of the "look" and "feel" the developers are shooting for, and not necessarily and example of the finished product. But, the game's only 10% done, so... yeah. ;p
I know, I'm just saying they haven't got the look of the illustrations right yet and I hope they get closer to that look. Jeez.

klee123

The model of the white knight looks pretty god damn good in my opinion. However, since it's only 10%, I assume the detail can only improve.

Gattsu25

Banned
SinglePlayer Gameplay finished at 10%

PSO-style multiplayer will take up 40%

Battlefield-like competative multiplayer to take up 20%

Polishing will take up 30%

I have a similar source as Doom_Briger, only using my *own* ass

Top Bottom