• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Bioshock Infinite looked pretty rough. (VGA showing)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I mean yikes, that was a rough showing at the VGAs...non responsive AI, whole bunch of chaos in the gameplay bit, some really choppy framerate issues, hoo boy. I feel for the team who had to put together a gameplay video in the middle of all the madness surrounding the development of that game.

I really hope things turn out well for the devs and the game. :(

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
yeah I thought the same thing, I like how one of the AI went dumb, and was literally standing there while he was attacking it. Right before the big mech dude.

Takao

Banned
Am I alone in thinking Ken looked pretty rough during his opener? He looked like he hasn't slept, or eaten much in a while. I understand the sleeping part is not unexpected given the game's in crunch mode, but he looked pretty bad.

All the previews that came out today (yesterday?) made the game sound great. Were they playing it on a console at the VGAs?

Hm. This is intriguing.

Ken Levine seems to be killing himself for this game. The entire team is gonna be scorched earth by the time they hit ship date.

S1kkZ

the worst thing were her facial animations. looked really bad and outdated (like all the animations in general). bad keyframe animations should be a thing of the past by now.

zroid

Banned
I actually thought it was a skit at first, because it seemed rougher than actual gameplay should have been, lol

It wasn't really that bad though, tbh. The game will be great, even if it ends up being rough around the edges.

zlatko

Banned
Very odd splicing of the two segments as well. First bit of talking to Liz was too short too.

Game play looked ace, but a lot of the enemies do just seem like bullet sponges.

Also, Liz's new look sucks compared to E3 version.

Stark

Banned
Looked absolutely amazing to me though, definitely worth the wait for the duration of the show.

Of course the framerate was a bit iffy, but I feel that the little delay is appropriate.

@Takao: Yeah, and extremely nervous.

I know its what the game is going for a bit, but the combat just looks like a clusterfuck to me. Not to mention my console-only status. Shame, as the universe really does look quite amazing

Kacho

Bioshock looked like complete and utter trash. Screw the graphics looking dated, the gameplay was messy as hell.

raven777

tbh I thought it looked a lot worse than previous showing. The UI was clusterfucked as well.

The change in Elizabeth's look is also a minus in my opinion.

FStop7

Banned
Am I alone in thinking Ken looked pretty rough during his opener? He looked like he hasn't slept, or eaten much in a while. I understand the sleeping part is not unexpected given the game's in crunch mode, but he looked pretty bad.

He looked like he ran off a plane, jumped into a cab, spent 20 minutes in wardrobe and makeup, dashed onto the stage and said something terse, and then probably dashed out back into the same cab he arrived in and headed back to the airport.

Mooreberg

I won't evaluate the game until I'm playing it. But it struck me today with the delay news that this game will only be a few months short of Half-Life 2's development time. Taking that long on the same hardware with the same base game engine (I'm aware they've modified it) makes it hard not to agree that something about the development went way off course compared to the first game.

Shurs

I really dislike the button prompts near the enemies. I'm also not a fan of the lifebars above the heads of the enemies.

On the plus side: At least the female in the game no longer looks like a 10 year old with breast implants.

lucius

Hate to say it but makes sense why people were bailing out. Things could still turn out good but that was a bad showing, might have been better just to not show anything and get as much sales as possible once released.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
He looked like he ran off a plane, jumped into a cab, spent 20 minutes in wardrobe and makeup, dashed onto the stage and said something terse, and then probably dashed out back into the same cab he arrived in and headed back to the airport.

Oh jeez, now I'm feeling awful for Levine.

Stark

Banned
The change in Elizabeth's look is also a minus in my opinion.

From the Beasts of America trailer, I think its clear she changes into her old getup and she's wearing the new outfit in what seems to be her first meeting with Booker.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
After that trailer I was seriously hyped, there was so much action going on in that scene. It looked absolutely insane. I doubt that's going to show up in the final build though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Reminded me of the e3 showing of RE6. Seriously was hard to follow what was even happening, and graphically/mechanically it looked barely above bioshock 1. Is this still on UE2.5?

Khezu

Whoops posted in that dupe topic.

It didn't look very good at all.

At least they didn't completely redesign the girl again, she still has the dress and short hair, but her face still looks weird and too much like a disney princess.

W1SSY

I was glad they finally showed combat or at least I think it was the first time. But as others have said it looked pretty rough. If this is what they are showing you have to imagine it is the best stuff they have and that makes me worry about the rest of the game.

PK Gaming

Very odd splicing of the two segments as well. First bit of talking to Liz was too short too.

Game play looked ace, but a lot of the enemies do just seem like bullet sponges.

Also, Liz's new look sucks compared to E3 version.

Liz look will always suck

that cleavage is really obnoxious lol

Snipes424

I have to agree with the OP. It felt like a downgrade to me from what was shown in the past. I still have hope that IG can pull it off, but I'm not nearly as excited for the game as I used to be.

So we didn't see much, well, not much more than what we've already known. VGA had a brief showing of the game. I'll post the trailer when it's up.

That said. It def. appeared to be 360 footage. And a pretty poor showing at that. I'm not overtly critical at all, and this looked bad. The framerate was all over the place, and honestly, the game just looked boring.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Being that I'm a huge fan of the series, I think I was more surprised how bad it looked in comparison to previous footage shown. It was just, bland...

In watching a post "reveal" interview, it seems that Levine is going for Alex(HL2) 2.0. Which, I think might be a bit unrealistic. Hope I'm wrong.

Bullet sponge enemies, crappy gun play, and I'm over seeing tesla coil-like effects everywhere. Hype downgraded...hopefully this is an older build or something.

MrDaravon

Had to be the 360 version. Which makes me think the PC version must not be doing too well.

I missed it apparently, but someone in the other thread said there were PS3 button prompts?

Anyway, game looked pretty damn rough. You never want to take something like as final product, but how it presented combined with it's multiple delays, (apparently) troubled development, and staff departures starts to be concerning. Honestly if that was the showing they chose to make, they shouldn't have shown it; either it's really not going to be representative of the final product, or the game may be in worse shape than we thought.

Top Bottom