• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #109 - "Why?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

John Quo joined Babbitry Incorporated straight out of college and felt lucky to have done so. In the abysmal economy getting any job was noteworthy, let alone assistant manager of TBS reporting at a company such as Babbitry Inc.

His first day he was shown his cubicle introduced to his team and told about the TBS reports. It would take him two weeks to get a computer with access to do what he needed.

When he finally got his laptop and began to work he found the world of TBS reporting overwhelming. He had a team of twenty to support a user base of about eighty-five consumers of the TBS reports. In essence he had a hundred and five bosses. And the reports were perplexing. There were so many numbers and so many ways to slice and dice them that John couldn't make heads or tails of any report. Nonetheless there was always someone that wanted some variation of a TBS report done ASAP. And whenever he would have his team deliver the report version they had asked for the requestor would always come back with "This isn't what I asked for!" Being a good assistant manager John engaged his boss, Bill.

"Yeah, they do that." Bill said in a tired voice when John complained about being thrown under the bus for the tenth time in a week for doing exactly as he was asked.

John asked for guidance. "Just don't be late. The TBS reports are very important." was all Bill said.

"I was thinking of having them document exactly what they want on the report before I accept a change request." John posited.

Bill just laughed and said, "Yeah, have fun with that."

John was undeterred. Bill was just an loser who didn't care about anything.

John spent the next two days building a change request form. What ended up happening was that people would come and ask for more changes and when John poinited them to the change request form they'd simply not fill it out. John refused to have his team make any changes without any filled out forms. That lasted a day.

"Why didn't you make the changes that Jenny asked for?!" John's director yelled at him.

"She didn't fill out a form." John replied.

"What form? Why does she have to fill out a form?" The director jabbed.

"Because every time she asks me to make a change we make the change and then she complains that we made the change she was asking for."

"No forms!" The director screamed and continued. "You might not appreciate how important these TBS reports are, but they are VERY important.If you get in the way of them you will have a very short stay at Babbitry Incorporated."

John left the office dejected. He sulked through the parking lot to his car, opened his door, climbed in and nearly had a heart attack. In the passenger seat was a disheveld old man in a thread bare suit. His long white beard ran over a tatter red tie. On his lap there was an old suitcase.

"I am not here to harm you John Quo." The old man said.

"Who are you? What are you doing in my car?" John stammered.

"You work on the TBS reports don't you John? That was a good bit with the change request form." The old man said.

"What? How do you know about that?"

"The TBS reports are very important John. Nothing happens with them in secret."

John froze for a few seconds. The man knew about the TBS reports. He probably wanted a copy of them. They were so important John bet that Babbitry's competitors would do anything to get them.

"I wont give you access to the TBS reports." John said feigning bravery.

The old man laughed, the laughs rattled in his chest. "I don't want your reports John." He said when the laugther subsided.

"What do you want?"

"You're a good kid John. Just out of college wanting to do the right thing. That bit with the change request form was a smart move. I want to help you John." The old man said.

It was John's turn to laugh. "What could you do to help me?"

"See this briefcase?" The old man gestured to the case on his lap, "Any idea what's inside?"

"No."

"It's the original design specifications for the TBS reports." The old man whispered after looking around to be sure there was no one around.

"Those designs are out on the company sharepoint."

"Have you read those? They're full of technical jargon and confusing diagrams. They're intentionally obfuscative. You've seen them. You know they're undescernable."

John had to admit the old man had a point.

"These are the original design specifications. They tell exactly how the reports were designed and what they really do. All. Right. Here." The old man said tapping the brief case at each of the three last words for emphasis.

"So what? You built the reports?" John asked.

"No that was Van Tutte."

"The CFO?"

"Yes. Van Tutte. He brought in a consulting firm to build the inital release. And these were their documents."

"OK, so why give them to me?"

The old man shifted the case and held the handle end up to John's face exposing the lock.

"This lock can only be opened by Van Tutte's case key. He keeps it in his supply closet. I need you to go in and get it." He said.

John knew the closet. He could do it. John reached out a hand and quickly took it away.

"Wait. What do you care?" John asked

"You think you're the first assistant manager of TBS reporting? I devoted twelve years to those damned reports and when I started to suspect what they were really for they demoted me. They fired me the day I managed to steal this case. I'm fairly certain I know the truth but I just need proof. Proof you can get me."

John thought about his options. He knew that if he did not take the briefcase he would end up like the old man next to him. Always wondering what was in it. John closed his hand on handle.

Getting to the Van Tutte's supply closet was surpringly easy. He simply told Van Tutte's secretary that he needed some supplies for a special TBS report requirement. The secretary let him in without question. The key was hidden under a red stapler exactly where they old man had told him. Eagerly John unlocked the case and pulled out a manilla envelope full of papers.

"TBS Reporting Specifications." The title page read.

John began to flip through the pages, his eyes widening with each new page. T.B.S. was defined in bright red letters. Total BullShit screamed at John from the paper.

"I see you've done me the favor of returning my briefcase to me Mr. Quo." A voice snapped John's attention.

John looked up, "Cosi Van Tutte." He said acknowledging the CFO standing in front of him by name.

"Now if you'll just hand it over."

"Total Bull Shit. TBS Reports. You just made it all up." John said anger growing within him. Months he had endured yelling, shame, scorn and being made to feel an idiot for reports that meant nothing.

"Yes. I did." Van Tutte said playing with his company badge at his belt. He'd pull out the badge on a string and let it snap back. Pull it out and let it snap back.

"Why?"

"Power Mr. Quo. I needed to be promoted by our lovely Scheisse, our lovely CEO, wouldn't promote me. He said that I didn't have enough subordinates."

"So you created an impossibly complicated report that no one could dicipher just to pad your team? You're terrible."

"Terrible Mr. Quo? I'm a job creator. Your job being one of them, actually."

"But it's worthless. You're wasting stockholder money."

"Have you seen our financials Mr. Quo? They're very strong. Thanks largely to my leadership. View the TBS reports as part of my salary."

"When the company starts doing badly you'll be gone."

"Will I Mr. Quo? Why then all I have to do is come up with a simpler report that only takes five people to support and lay off the TBS reporting team and I'll be a hero. As a matter of fact I'll probably get promoted to CEO for saving the company so much money." Van Tutte said.

"No you wont. I have your secret. I'll tell everyone." John said holding the design documents to his chest.

"And that is why you must die." Van Tutte reached for his security card at his belt and pull it away from it's holder showing a thin garrotting wire.

John grabbed the red stapler, sprung the bottom away and began firing staples at Van Tutte's face. Van Tutte screamed and grabbed at his face. John pushed past the man and ran out into the cubicle farm beyond. He found security waiting for him. He tried to fire more staples at the guards but he was all out. He turned and ran.

"TBS stands for total bullshit! TBS stands for total bullshit!" John screamed clutching the design specs to his chest.

John didn't see the security guard that tackled him. Nor did he see the wastebasket that knocked him unconcious in the fall.

Patient Quo awoke in a hospital room with a splitting headache. On his chest was a pink slip. He didn't need to look at it to know what it was. In the corner of the room was the dishevled old man that had given him the case.

"So?" The old man asked.

Quo rubbed his head, "It stands for Total BullShit." He replied with a groan.

"I knew it!" The old man said with a little jump of victory and then tossed a bag full of clothes at John.

"Ow! What was that for?" John asked.

"The cops are with Van Tutte right now, they'll be coming to arrest you any minute. We need to get you out of here." The old man said like he was explaining to a five year old.

"You want me to escape from the hospital while the cops are looking for me? Why would I do that?"

The old man walked towards Quo and set down something on the bedside table. A bright red stapler.

"Escape to take down van Tutte." The old man said.

Quo grabbed the red stapler, looked at the old man and uttered two words.

"Let's go."

Nezumi

^^Damn, I should've read the whole thing before I spend half an hour googling what the hell a TBS report could possibly be...

ronito

^^Damn, I should've read the whole thing before I spend half an hour googling what the hell a TBS report could possibly be...

Hi, my name is Ronito. And if you're going to be in the habit of googling what I generally write about you're going to have a bad time.

Nezumi

Hi, my name is Ronito. And if you're going to be in the habit of googling what I generally write about you're going to have a bad time.

I'll remember that for the future. Although in this case googling in vain did add something to my overall enjoyment of the twist :)

Poker Night

Tuesday nights at RJ's Sports Bar cry out to be pressed in a memory book, bound by leather, forever preserved for the study of future generations. As humankind develops and evolves, and our sensitivities heighten, and our neuron receptors become more efficient, it's essential that our superior descendants be able to look back to these weekly sessions, not to learn who they are, but to learn who they once were. To learn where they come from.

There's this magical allure about a place so impossibly seedy, so tastelessly decayed, so discarded, that I have no choice but to adhere to its call. I don't make a choice to frequent RJ's...I'm simply led there by fate.

As a congregation of fifty lost souls gathers between those smoke-stained walls, I become lost in the mishmash of humanity that surrounds me. War heroes talk politics with hardened criminals. The crippled discuss the NFL playoffs with the able. Wealthy suits share investments tips with the penniless. Rednecks and minorities discuss (delicately) the difference between a "ga" and an "er."

Our waitress, fat in flesh and Southern charm, bounces around the room like a well-timed pinball, taking food and drink orders with the most disarming of smiles. She's the nicest person I've ever met, bar none. If ever there's an example of loving life for what it is, she's it. I make sure to tip her exceptionally well, despite how awful the chicken strips taste and how flat my diet Pepsi is.

Three hours. Three blissful hours. There's more living in those three hours than in a thousand internet lives. There's more satisfaction than in a thousand true loves. There's more reward than in a thousand successful careers. And there's certainly more learning than in a thousand advanced degrees.

Why do we go there? Because.

Because this is what life becomes when we shed away our cumbersome shells and allow ourselves to be free. Free from fear. And embarrassment. And fault-finding. And moral stocktaking.

Only after peeling back those layers are we able to reveal our true selves. Humans. So troubled. So beautiful.

Mifune

Mehmber
Tried something like that after I first heard about that book that does it.

And man, it's pretty much impossible.

I guess it was in French? Or something? I dunno, maybe there are fewer 'e's in French.

28294.jpg

Neither the original or the English translation have the letter 'e.' The gauntlet has been thrown down.

By the way, his book Life A User's Manual is amazing.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Not to Wonder Why
(1,600 words)

The tailgater had his brights on, making Maxwell's rear-view mirror a miniature sun, but no less dangerous to look at. It had been that way for the past 15 minutes, the entire drive from his work to his suburban home.

When at last he pulled over to the safety of his driveway, though he had been wary of leading a madman to his home, he saw that his follower had stopped on the road but keeping his engine running. Maxwell only had time to step out of his car when he saw the tailgater roll down his window.

“I know where you live, mothefucker! You hear me? I know where you live!”

“What? Who...,” was all Maxwell said before his voice was drowned out by the screech of tires as the tailgater floored it and flew into the night. Maxwell ran after the car, but it was too late to see the licence plate.

“How was your day?” Maxwell's wife greeted him when he came in.

“The oddest thing happened. Someone followed me home.”

“Followed you? You're just being paranoid.”

“No, he stopped right there on the road, and he yelled at me. He said he knows where I live.”

“And you have no idea who it was?”

“No. I didn't really see who it was, but I didn't recognise the voice, and I don't think I know that car from anywhere.”

“You have to call the police.”

“No, I don't think so. It was probably just a prank.”

Night came, and at an hour when all decent people should be drifting off to dreamland the silence was broken by the sound of shattered glass. An elbow had come through the kitchen window, and a hand covered with a mitten was now fumbling with the latch. When the nocturnal intruder had managed to get the window open, he climbed inside, all the while cursing faintly as he fell down on a kitchen table before rolling down on the floor.

Getting on his feet, he looked around a took a few steps before something pushed his down, and soon a flash light was pointed right at his face and a baseball bat poked him in the chest.

“No, don't hurt me!” the intruder squealed. "I yield, I yield!”

“You yield?” Maxwell said. “What the hell are you even doing here?”

Even when blinded by the light a look of visible confusion flashed in the intruder's eyes as he took a moment to process what he had just heard. “Breaking in. What does it look like?”

“Yes, I know that. I mean why?”

“Seemed like as good a place as any.”

“Cut the shit. You followed me home, and you screamed at me. I've never even met you before.”

“Nor I you, friend. Mind if I have a smoke?”

The intruder did not wait for an answer, but sat up and took out a battered bag of cigarettes and a box of matches no doubt snatched from a bowl on a bar counter. Maxwell looked at the intruder, and saw a middle-aged man whose long hair and beard were streaked with grey, and the worn but thick overcoat had bulges all over. On his hands the man wore grey woven mittens with the fingertips cut off.

“Where do you live?”

“Here and there.”

“You're homeless.”

“Between permanent residences, if you please.”

“Where did you get the car? Didn't look like a junker to me.”

The man moved the cigarette around in his mouth, “Was sort of a loan.”

“Who lent it?”

“That's the thing,” the man said. “I'm really not supposed to tell you.”

The virgin snow had come again, and at dawn the earth glittered as if tiny shards of crystals were scattered all around the white world. Maxwell had not been able to sleep, and at first light had set out to get some answers from what he thought might very well turn out to be a wild goose chase. But at the very least the first part of his uninvited guest's story seemed to be true: there really was an office building where he had said, and above it a big red sign with white calligraphy gave the company's name, Creepers Inc..

Maxwell walked straight in, and at the reception there was a bored looking woman staring at a screen. No one else was to be seen or heard.

“Excuse me?”

Only the woman's eyes acknowledged Maxwell's presence, and even them just barely.

“What is this place?”

“Please, take our pamphlet.”

He did so, and began reading. Soon he began reading out loud. “'Consider our flexible services for all your stalking, creeping and hounding needs. Satisfaction guaranteed.' What is this? I want to speak to a manager.”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“I have a complaint.”

Down a hallway a door opened, and a head popped out. It was round and bald, and curious eyes hid behind a pair of glasses. “Did someone say complaint?”

“I did.”

“Come here, quick!”

The head disappeared back into the office, and Maxwell followed. The small bald man was behind a desk now, smiling with his hands on the table with crossed fingers. “Have a seat, please.”

“Listen, somebody has been following me, and he said you, I mean this place, told him to do it.”

“What is your name, and I'll see if we can get this sorted out in a jiffy.”

“Henderson. Maxwell Henderson.”

“Henderson, Henderson,” the bald man muttered as he went to work on his computer. “No relation to Rupert Henderson, I imagine? No? Well, it's a common name. Rupert had been with us for years, a great chap, a bit a downer when he drinks. Cries a lot, you understand. Ah, here we are, Maxwell Henderson. We have you down for a sampler.”

“A sampler?”

“Yes, a trial run, if you will, to acquaint you to our services. You're saying there's a problem with your model?”

“It's not a model! It's a man who followed me, and then broke into my house!”

“You must understand that our free samples do not necessarily reflect the quality of our products. A quality stalker, not to even mention a quality creeper, is a rare thing. We have a constant shortage, and are thus forced to send out into the field units that are, how shall I put this, of less proven quality.”

“But I don't want to be stalked!”

“It says here you ordered something from Riverstuff.com.”

“What? Yes, I guess. So what?”

“You agreed to receive free samples from them, or their affiliates. We're their affiliate.”

"Why the hell would I want a stalker?"

“The world has changed in a fundamental way, Mr. Henderson,” the bald man said and got up from his chair to pace around to room with his hands behind his back. “Our founder, the now late but by no means less great Anthony Hickory was the first to observe this, or at least among the first, and certainly the one with the wherewithal to do what had to be done. You see, we, the people, are naturally inclined to behave in ways that liberal media might negatively label with derogatory words like 'stalker' and 'creeper' (you might say we are taking them back), but with the constant shift towards a virtual existence this essential part of humanity is allowed to wither and waste away. Where would we be without lecherous men staring at young women on public transportation or lonely misunderstood youths and their binoculars? It's all just going to be a big blur of people stuck in front a computer screen if Mr. Hickory's vision is allowed to die just like he did, in a tragic if not very surprising case of breaking and entering.”

Maxwell stared at the bald man, trying to understand what he just heard. “Be that as it may,” he finally said. “I rather not be followed any more.”

“If that is what you want, but you do know that you can also hire a stalker for someone else. Christmas is coming up, and what better way to say you care than a little companionship from a fellow man?”

“You let people hire stalkers for others?”

“We do not judge our client's motives. So...?”

“No, and that is sickening.”

“As you wish,” the bald man sighed, and sat down to type something. “I have cancelled all your subscriptions, and we will not send a replacement unit.”

“Thank you, I suppose,” Maxwell said and stood up. “I guess that's it.” He thought about shaking the bald man's hand, but the crown of that spherical head was gleaming with sweat and he looked like he was about to cry, so Maxwell decided it was just best to leave him be.

“Mr Henderson!” Maxwell heard when he had reached the door, and saw the bald man had stood up and was visibly shaking. “Are you sure you want to do this? Do not let a single bad experience to sully the beauty of our work. When you walk down the street, do you really want to believe that no one notices you, that no one cares? Or do you want to know there is always someone there, someone you mean the world to? Loneliness, that is all there is for us out there. We are trapped in a godless eternity with two endless voids on both sides of our existence. But human loneliness can be cured with human contact, and if you let us help you will never again be alone.”

Maxwell shook his head and closed the door on the bald little man whose eyes were now red.

ZeroRay

Fucking Ponies
(610 words)

So I told this girl to meet me at this pony convention. No, not that kind of pony convention, the kind of convention featuring actual ponies, all dressed up and shown off by their owners for prizes. Living in some indescribable part of nowhere, this is as exciting as things get. Most small towns have something each year that draws people from all over this flyover state to show up, this is ours.

And as I await my date, I feel as though this may not have been the best choice for a first encounter. We met online on a dating site, being the only potential match for each other within a hundred miles; we had no choice but to try it. I don't even remember how she looked, just basic features: blonde hair, green eyes, I think a crooked teeth or two. But hey, another person to pass time with, awesome!

She texted me saying she's close, asking me where she should meet me. Good question, better start walking. Looking around, there were stalls and stalls of stuff being peddled. Food, sweets, souvenirs, a petting zoo that didn't feature any ponies. I guess every hick with a pony here entered theirs in the competitions. Edging close to the entrance, I saw a stand dedicated to selling pony paraphernalia, you know, that Pony paraphernalia. It was twice as large as the others around it, with a huge sign featuring the logo surrounded by all the colorful ponies. It was barred closed though, probably opening around 12 when people really start showing up. Deciding to be witty, I texted her: I'm by the entrance, wearing the red shirt. You can't miss me! ;)

Now I was fearing she would turn around and walk away the second she saw me standing where I was. Or even worse, pretend not to see me and slide into the fairgrounds. Shit, I'll be standing here like an idiot then. Okay, I can just text her, and get the message whether or not she replies, but still.

Now that I think about it, we didn't really even have a conversation, we just did the basic introductory gist and I suggested we meet up at the pony fair. She agreed and here I am. Hope she's not too fat.

Speaking of fat, the ticket guy at the gates would probably be the poster boy for everything wrong with America, or to be more succinct, this town. As I watched his gargantuan hands stab tickets with his tiny ticket stabber, I noticed this kinda chunky girl wearing a shirt from the show. Heh. Wait a minute, blonde hair, uh greenish eyes. Is it her? Oh God. My entire being is collapsing in on itself, a black whole has formed from the supernova inside my guts. Probably because the bricks are too massive for me to shit out. Oh god, I'm using internet humor already, fuck.

Naturally her gaze went to the stand I was next to, and naturally her eyes lit up and her mouth was almost agape. She only had one crooked teeth and it wasn't even that crooked, at least that was good. So yeah, let's do this!

"How did you know!" she said, dripping with excitement.
"Oh, you know. Why did you think I invited you here?" I smiled and gave her a wink.
Her face went red, and her glance went to the ground for a split second, but it looked like she was enjoying my company so far.

She looked back at me, her expression seemed to imply a strange combination of inquiry and desire. "So who's your favorite?"

"Twilight Sparkle," I replied.

The sky was a leaden shade of grey as Aidan walked the well worn route to Shane’s house, huddled deep in his coat against the bitter winter chill. A few scant leaves clung stubbornly to spindly branched trees, fluttered by the wind until, at last, they tore free and fell in tumbling spirals to the ground. The leaves crunched underfoot as he trudged onward, thinking back to years past when as a child he raced through these streets on his bike, heading always to Shane’s house. He lived on the other side of town, through the high street, across the river and past the council houses, out into the fields and the woods beyond.

The house was a rickety old thing, much like the grandmother Shane had lived with, and when Aidan arrived it was in even worse state than he remembered. Shane’s grandmother had been his only living relative and died when he was nineteen, leaving him the house. He didn’t seem to take it all too badly, but things got sour as time passed on. Shane started hanging around with a tough crowd, getting into things Aidan wanted no part of and he found himself heading to Shane’s less and less. Eventually, he stopped going altogether. Shane didn’t call, of course. He never did. His friends were those who came to his door. They had bumped into each other in the pub a few times, but it had been awkward.

Now, as he looked at the dilapidated old house, wreathed in clinging ivy amid a copse of gnarled, writhing trees, he felt an acute sense of foreboding and wondered why he had come at all. The email had been out of the blue. Aidan hadn’t seen him in over a decade and had no idea how Shane had known he was home, visiting his parents. Or perhaps he didn’t know Aidan lived in the city now, it had been a long time. The email had been sent out to a bunch of people, and Aidan sent a message to a few of the names he recognised, seeing if any were thinking of taking up Shane’s invite. The replies he got back were all variations on a theme. They hadn’t seen him for years, had moved on, had different lives.

As he was wondering if he’d be all alone for this little gathering, the front door opened and there was Shane. At first sight he was largely unchanged. Hair a little scruffier, beginning to show signs of thinning perhaps. Beer belly certainly larger. Then he noticed a strange downturning of Shane’s left cheek, as if he was affected by a palsy. He saw Aidan looking and his mouth curled into an approximation of a smile.

“Had a little turn a while back.” he said “Not so good with my left side.”

“I’m sorry” Aidan quietly replied.

“Ah, fuck it, y’know?” Shane said with a laugh, turning back inside. “Come on then.”

Aidan walked up the steps and felt a wave of nostalgia. Sitting on those steps as a child, eating custard creams and drinking lemonade on a hot summer’s day. Pressing up close against Stacy Couldridge one cold bonfire night that seemed an eternity away. Drinking scotch with the lads as they toasted Shane’s eighteenth, and again at his grandmother’s wake. But, like much of his memories of this place, those times seemed veneered in a hue of sadness and regret. He closed the door behind him and looked around the hall, still heavily laden with the nicknacks Shane’s grandmother had obsessively collected, now covered in a thick layer of dust. Shane’s head poked out from the kitchen and he pointed wordlessly to the living room. Aidan was for a moment taken aback at how unchanged things were. The furniture, the wallpaper, the TV. There was even the old N64 plugged in, with a Goldeneye cart in the slot.

“Up for a few rounds?” Shane said, coming through from the kitchen with a crate of beers under one arm and a spliff dangling from between his lips. “Remember, no Odd Job.” he smiled.

“Nah, I wouldn’t remember how.” Aidan laughed.

“Fair do’s.” he replied, sparking up the spliff and proffering it to Aidan as he sat down on the sofa.

“Not me, man. I haven’t touched the stuff for years, it’d hit me like a ton of bricks.”

“Ah, you come out all this way and won’t even share a doob? Tell me you still drink?” he said, tearing open the crate and handing a lager to Aidan.

“Yeah, man. I just don’t smoke weed anymore, I’m not teetotal.”

“So, how you been Aidan?” Shane asked, taking a drag from his spliff, the fragrant, cloying smell of weed pervading the room.

“You know, not bad. Working a lot, and me and Siân just moved into a new place, so it’s been pretty hectic.”

“Oh yeah, whereabouts?”

“Kentish Town, near Camden.”

“Fuck, you’re moving up in the world.” he replied in seeming disbelief.

“Yeah, like I said, working a lot. How about you?”

“Oh, you know, a bit of this, a bit of that.” was his cryptic response. The conversation, as it was, lapsed into silence, and Shane chucked on the TV. They watched an old rerun of Jackass on MTV2 as they drank their beers, and eventually Aidan relented to a game of Goldeneye, followed by some Beetle Adventure Racing and a few rounds of Bomberman 64. The arrangement of empty bottles on the coffee table grew larger and Aidan grew tipsy. His phone beeped a message. It was from Siân, asking him to pick up fish & chips for her and his parents on his way back. He made his excuses and got up to leave, Shane walking him to the door. He took Aidan’s hand and hugged him on the steps before Aidan turned for home, promising Shane that they’d do this again sometime, a lingering sense that words unsaid were left hanging in the air.

The next morning he woke to the smell of bacon and the sound of Siân taking a shower. He stretched in the crumpled sheets and rubbed the sleep from his eyes, squinting against the bright light that shone through the window. He got up to look outside, seeing a police car parking up along the road. He watched as the police officers, a man and a woman, got out of the car and headed closer, past the neighbours and up to the gate of Aidan’s parents house. With a curse and a strange quake of apprehension he hadn’t felt since he was in his teens, he quickly got dressed as the doorbell rang and from downstairs he heard the muffled surprise of his mother talking to the officers.

He barrelled down the stairs to find his mother ushering the officers into the kitchen, going through all the usual niceties, offering tea and biscuits. It quickly became apparent to Aidan that the police were here to see him, so he took a seat opposite as his mother waited for the kettle to boil.

“Mr. Brown, I’m Sergeant Daniels and this is P.C. Jones.” the female officer said. “Are you familiar with a Mr. Shane Willis?”

“Yes, I’ve known him since I was five.” Aidan replied.

“And have you had any contact with him recently?”

“Well, yesterday, in fact. I hadn’t seen him in years, but he emailed me out of the blue asking me to visit, and as I was in town...” he trailed off. “What exactly is all this about?”. He heard Siân come down the stairs and into the kitchen, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

“Mr. Brown, I’m sorry to tell you this, but Mr. Willis committed suicide at some point last night. Can you tell me at what time you were last in contact?” she said, barely pausing to let the news set in.

“I, uh, left his at about a quarter to seven, I’d guess.” Aidan stammered. “I went to the chippy, and then straight home from there.”

“I see.” the sergeant replied. “Can I ask you what the purpose of your visit to Mr. Willis was last night?”

“Like I said, we’re old friends. I hadn’t heard from him in years and I thought it’d be nice to catch up.”

“And he didn’t show any signs of depression? Any intent that he might be planning to take his life?”

“Nothing I can recall. I’m sorry. We just drank some beers and played a few video games.”

“Well, thank you for your cooperation Mr. Brown, and I’m sorry for your loss.” she said, getting up from her seat, her tea untouched on the table. “And just to confirm, he had no relatives that you know of?”

“No, none. As far as I know his grandma was his only family, and she died years ago.”

The sergeant nodded, thanked his mother for the tea and made her way to the door, while Aidan just sat there in a bemused silence.

“I’m sorry, love.” Siân said, taking a now-vacant seat at the table. “Why do you think he did it?”

“I honestly don’t know. I mean, his life wasn’t great or anything. He didn’t have any work as far as I know, and I certainly don’t know anyone who still hung around with him. But he seemed fine. Same old Shane.”

“So, why do you think he invited you over?”

“Well, it wasn’t just me. He invited a ton of people.”

“But only you showed up.” she said.

“Yeah.”

They spent the rest of the day aimlessly, taking a stroll through town, walking through the nature reserve, catching a bite to eat in a cafe and pointedly avoiding the other side of town. He saw people he recognised here and there, faces from the past who asked about Shane, the hot news of town. He’d hung himself apparently, from the thick oak beams of his porch. A dog walker found him, and now the area was all taped off, swarming with police. Aidan didn’t really want to know, and didn’t want to share. None of them had cared enough twenty four hours earlier, although that thought brought about it’s own guilty feelings when he remembered how close he’d come to ignoring Shane’s email. Their long weekend away soon ended, and it was back to the hustle and bustle of London. The grind of the daily commute, the boredom of the office, the evenings spent in front of the TV because they were too tired to go out, and the occasional wild Friday night thrown in for good measure. A phone call came from a solicitor representing Shane’s estate, as it was. He’d left Aidan the house. It sat on greenbelt land, so couldn’t be sold for redevelopment and the council wanted to tear it down, but for some reason Aidan couldn’t bear to think of it destroyed. So they fixed it up, and kept it for times when they wanted a weekend away without putting out Aidan’s parents. He always avoided looking up at the beams in the porch, and even redecorated to Siâns tastes the place retained a nostalgic hold over him. Still, he often wondered about the why’s of that last night with Shane. Perhaps he had wanted things to feel like old times again, Aidan guessed.

It's not fantasy or sci-fi, for once! I feel naked.

Sober

Planetcracker (slightly over 2000 words)

If you asked me why I first signed up for the marines – just completely dropped everything in my life – I would have told you because of a sense of adventure. Sure, I was a student, just your slightly-above average twenty something on Earth who didn’t have much else to do with traveling the stars except the occasional vacation out of the Solar System or to run errands on the Moon. I had read about all those in books as a child, how we tamed the planets outside of the Solar System. I wanted to go out there and explore it one day. But going to the Moon is like a bus ride for someone from Earth.

It wasn’t even all the grim business on Pergamum IV that did it, though looking back, maybe it was. There were times in our history where something that felt insignificant would spark something so big. Insignificant to us, I suppose, so far away on what we all called a backwater planet. Those executions seemed like something disconnected from my life entirely. Someone from Earth knew someone from there, of course; everyone knows someone else that high up in the government. Someone very high up, in fact, enough that they convinced us it was worth getting in a fight over.

Maybe my sense of adventure got to me enough that I found myself in over my head. I was still buried in my books until one day I saw them putting up recruitment posters up all over campus.

Sign up for the Earth Expeditionary Forces – see the galaxy, make the rebels pay!

“Make the rebels pay?” I asked the guy putting the posters up.
“Yeah, you remember Pergamum IV on the news a few months ago?”
“What about it?”
“We’re gonna go give them what for, you know?”
I gleaned the location of the nearby recruitment centre from the poster, “so, you joining up or …?"
“Oh, already have. Just taking my time to get spread the word, you know.”
I was a little averse about war, seeing as the closest thing I came to that was getting into a fight with the school bully, Frankie Vancelli, in grade six.
“I hear it’s going to be over real quick anyway. We got all the big guns, they got maybe two or three small ones. One of the ministers was cousins with one of the Featherleas - big shot governors … well not anymore, thanks to the rebels.”

I had remembered that on the news, but some of the details were lost to me. Everyone else I talked to was convinced it was going to be a quick war, three, four months at best. Maybe just flash, no real fighting. Show up, kick some ass, and then we all celebrate. They said the same thing when World War I rolled around, a war way back over two centuries ago. Back then, everyone had hoped that their shiny and big guns would bring a swift conclusion to a war everyone was looking forward to.

“Jack, it’s not like it’s going to be dangerous at all,” my dad explained to me, “I hear all the kids are signing up for the hell of it. I wish I could’ve been part of something like that when I was your age. Besides, we already have many more ready and capable trained fighters than the rebels do. You’ll probably be doing something like tagging along in the rear, just watching the fighting from a nice vidscreen.”

And soon after I found myself in line, ready to sign up for a trip to the stars, paid for by the government. I went back to the recruitment centre by the campus again, and there was that guy who was putting posters up all around. It was only a week since I last saw him, but he was busy, almost every free space in campus covered in recruitment posters. After going through all the physicals, he waited for me.

“Hey again, guess you finally decided to sign up, eh? Name’s Seamus.”
“Jack, nice too meet you,” I shook his hand.
“So the docs clear you?”
“Yeah, they did. Guess I’ll be seeing more of you, won’t I?”
“Training, VR simulations, you know. Boot camp doesn’t sound exciting but you know; we all gotta do it,” he checked the number on my forms, “yeah, you and I will be heading off to the same place – Fort Chapman.”

The drill sergeant was a real asshole, but I could count how many times his training saved my life on both hands. The real surprise from training camp though, was bumping into old Frankie Vancelli, though now he liked to be called Frank, or Sergeant. He was just as surprised to see me again, as we were almost like arch-nemeses from grade school through to high school. We eventually put it all aside, seeing as we’d be stuck to one another for as long as this would take.

“Frank … umm, Sarge, do you even remember why we hated each other’s guts so much?” It had been years since we’d seen each other.
“You know Jack, I don’t even know why. Probably just because you were a bit of a nerd, I took it upon myself to torture you. But since you’re here, I guess that makes us almost equals – you know, apart from the rank – but I’m still … still surprised to see you here. I’m responsible for a bookworm!”
“And how did you …?”
“Oh, not many options for your typical schoolyard bully, so this is where I find myself. But you know I happen to be really good at it, being in charge of people.”
I didn’t have much to say to Frank.
“Hey, listen, sorry about all the shit I gave you back when we were kids. You know, I was stupid and all. Besides, like I said before, we’re kinda stuck together on this adventure of ours so—”
“It’s okay, Frank.” I figured this was going to be a new chapter in my life. The best I could do was make peace with Frank. Not that I was expecting anything to happen to any of us.

When all was said and done and we were out of Fort Chapman, we received our orders. I would be tied to the hip with Frankie Vancelli as my sergeant and Seamus at my back. Epsilon Company – that was us – was going to join the rest of Pulsar Regiment on the ESS Strontium. Like the rest the first volunteers to depart for the front lines, we were all given a hero’s farewell. We all stood in formation at the launch pad, ready to take a shuttle up to our ship. Much to my surprise, I found out I was going to be on the same ship as Abby. Maybe it was fate, or I told her where I was going when I signed up and she somehow got us assigned to her ship.

“Whoa, that’s Abby? Like, your old girlfriend, Abby?” Frank seemed shocked.
“Yeah.”
“Well, the uniform … doesn’t do her justice, you know.”
“Last time I checked, she still hates you for all the grief you gave me way back when.”
“Well, water under the bridge, right? Be sure to tell her that.”
Abby came to greet us after the ceremonies finished. Like Frank, she had enlisted much earlier, except she originally wanted to be an engineer. But somehow her talents in military intelligence had gotten her into part of the command staff of a Bonaparte-class battleship.
“Yeah, I didn’t want the family to know … they’d make a big deal out of it.”
“So, you did get me transferred to the Strontium, didn’t you?” I was hoping she’d confirm my theory, but she was coy with her answer.

If you told me the war was going to last more than sixteen months, maybe I would have never even considered enlisting. I remember last campaign – Atraxes – just three months ago, we thought we had it in the bag. At least until the “great” Admiral Strumbrad and his band of rebels – or the Independence as they liked to be called – appeared out of nowhere to reinforce the rebels. We figured that even if they had the greatest military mind of our generation, they couldn’t outgun us.

“Hey, Frank, wireless says Strumbrad is in orbit, or least in the system. Why are we still planetside? How did he make it through the blockade anyway?”
“Jack, I haven’t heard anything like that,” I knew he was lying, “besides, all the rebels have is him and some second-rate admirals. Sure, they got some angry guys with guns, but that’s nothing against the disciplined force of Earth’s Expeditionary Force. Or, hell, just Epsilon Company. We should just charter a ship to Pergamum IV; I want to punch that Maxwell kid in the face. Then give that self-appointed rebel leader Metcalfe what for.”
“So we’re still supposed to assault the rebel base right? The offensive’s still on?”
“Yeah, those sons-of-bitches refuse to surrender, just like every damn planet we’ve been on. They’re tough, I’ll give ‘em that.”
“I just want to be off this planet. I hate the jungle climate,” Seamus whined.
“You and me both,” Frank replied before leaving us at our post.

We figured wrong. Forty percent of Pulsar Regiment was wiped out when the rebels made it into orbit somehow at the eleventh hour. It was a massacre, but luckily Seamus and Frank made it out okay. It was all hazy shortly after I was hit during the retreat. I didn’t think I was going to make it. All I remember is Seamus dragging me back to the dropship. I woke up on a hospital bed with Abby holding my hand, Frank and Seamus just staring out the window. The infirmary looked a little worse for wear.

“For a while, we didn’t think you were going to make it,” Abby was the first one to speak up.
“Yeah, that sneaky bastard Strumbrad and his forces got through somehow. We’re still not sure how he got past the blockade,” Frank spoke up, “got any theories the higher ups know about that us ground pounders don’t, Officer Preston? Or did someone just fall asleep at the radar?”
“Nothing more than you already know, Frank,” Abby replied, still staring at me.
“Well, it’s not like it did them any good,” Seamus replied, “they beat a hasty retreat, and it only delayed us by two weeks. We got Atraxes, but the cost was higher than we were all expecting.”

Nothing important happened sitting in a hospital bed with Abby, Frank and Seamus visiting occasionally. Well, except Abby saying we should get together after the war ended. I told my parents about my injury, and apologized to them for the lapse in communication. Between the four of us, I just wanted it to be over and be home as soon as possible. Fast-forward to now, I hear that Apostle’s Grasp flipped sides. The Independence took it over – apparently without incident – but the loyalists laid in wait to take the planet back. There was no love lost for the rebels from any of the populace on Apostle’s Grasp. The Strontium, and a few other ships were sent to oversee the surrender of the rebel leaders in that system. In a long time we felt like the tide of the war was completely turning against the rebels.

We sat watching in the galley on deck 7 as the commander of the ESS Ozymandias was accepting the surrender of the Independence forces in the system, a man by the name of Thomas Muldane. We all cheered for a moment, but all of a sudden the news feed was interrupted. It was the self-appointed Supreme Commander of the Independence, David Metcalfe, speaking on the vidscreen.

“Hello, Earthlings. Right now, I would like to address the surrender of The Independence on Apostle’s Grasp. I had more hope that the people of Apostle’s Grasp would be more welcoming to the Independence, but it seems they have thrown their lot in with you Earthlings. To me, that paints them as traitors to the Independence, even after all we have done for them to free them from the yoke of Earth’s oppression. I guess some dogs are simply too loyal and have to be put down. This is one victory that Earth will not have.”

The live feed cut out as there was some confusion amongst the news staff, trying to retain their composure. All of a sudden, alarms went off on the ship.

“This is the commander. The Strontium is now in Condition Red. All hands on deck. We have incoming contacts, all Independence.”

The mission was to repel any invaders, help however we could in the case of hull breaches, fire damage. I urged Frank to have us near the CIC, so I could keep an eye on Abby. When we got there, there was an ordered chaos as the Strontium moved into attack positions. From what I could glean from the chatter, the commander of the Ozymandias just got back on board, and we were going to intercept the Independence ships while the smaller Hannibal-class battleships stayed behind.

Somehow, an Independence ship slipped past – we don’t know how, but it did. It slipped past and fired a warhead at Apostle’s Grasp. At first we thought it was a fanatic rebel commander breaking rank, but then we saw it for what it really was. It wasn’t headed anywhere important, so there was no need to intercept it. The planet exploded shortly after the missile made contact with the planet, and all we could do was keep formation, do our jobs. One of the ships at our rear – the Tigris – was caught in the planetary debris but the other two made it out. They called it the Planetcracker warhead, something the defecting admirals must have gotten ahold of. All I know is that an entire planet was no longer where it should be, along with billions of people. I threw up when I watched the video again.

If you asked me today why I was fighting this war, part of me just wants it to be over, but the other half will tell you it wants to make those bastards pay for what they did that day.

Huh, didn't notice Tidypub doesn't exist anymore. Oh well.

cj_iwakura

A bit late, but ah well, didn't even notice the thread, so I wrote from impulse for a few.

(319)

“Why?” I understood the question simply enough. It came through clear as day in the silence of the night, despite the occasional roar of a passing car. In response, I just stared ahead past the windshield. At least the windows were repaired. Last thing I needed was rain pouring into the car to make things even worse.

On the other hand, maybe if it had, I could've told myself those the droplets on her face were from the weather, and not the result of tears. The silence lingered for another minute or two, maybe as many as five, before, at last, I managed to find a response that sounded as weak as it felt. “I don't know.”

That's all there was to it, I guess. I was done. It had to end. She probably wouldn't accept the particulars of those feelings, so a simple declaration of indifference would have to do.

I'm not sure what was said after that. It was a yell of some sort. Maybe anger, maybe despair, possibly even a pleading outcry. Whatever it was, a crack of thunder drowned it out, and I didn't think to ask for her to repeat it. Seemed pretty inappropriate, all things considered. So I just ignored her and stared out into the road.

The response that came after that was far more audible. By the time I looked to the right, all I saw was her departing with an empty seat left in her wake, and the passenger door slamming afterward, leaving me alone for what was bound to be a long time coming.

I got my wish, I guess. I eventually had the sense to close up again to keep the rain out, but the damage was done. Drying that upholstery was going to be a bitch. As for her, well... she was gone. I had cast her out. Saddest of all, I still wasn't sure why.

Scribble

sorry, i broke rules again =x My story isn’t untitled, and i posted a slightly redited version a minute after the deadline on dropbox (with the title and a few story-breaking gaps filled), but i just noticed it didn’t save on dropbox. oh dear.

Ashes

Banned
sorry, i broke rules again =x My story isn’t untitled, and i posted a slightly redited version a minute after the deadline on dropbox (with the title and a few story-breaking gaps filled), but i just noticed it didn’t save on dropbox. oh dear.

Updated.

Tesseract

Banned
i guess i broke the rules. maybe next time. someday far too away to be too soon somebody somewhere somehow will question their boners, young or old. my unpublished work remains like an unflushable turd out my butt. yolo.

to generations ahead, existential boners abound.

Sober

Votes:
1. John Dunbar
2. ronito
3. Bootaaay

Also I think I forgot everything NaNo taught me because I just wrote it all last-minute anyway. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom