• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, is Xenoblade getting snubbed?

Malvingt2

IGN:

Best Overall Role-Playing Game
Mass Effect 3
Diablo 3
Pokemon Black and White 2
Torchlight 2
Xenoblade Chronicles

GT:

Best RPG

Borderlands 2
Dragons Dogma
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Mass Effect 3
Xenoblade Chronicles

VGA:

Diablo III
Mass Effect 3
Torchlight II
Xenoblade Chronicles

GamesRadar:

c20fc0898876d9548d89b3d1fdd56b7f671587a7.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

For a genre that isn’t as high profile as it once was, role-playing games had a particularly strong year in 2012. Here’s an easy way to measure how good it was: Great adventures like Pokemon Black/White 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Final Fantasy XIII-2 didn’t make the cut for this feature. (Oh, and Persona lovers--sorry. Remakes, no matter how good, aren't up for the award.

Winner: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

http://www.gamesradar.com/rpg-year-2012/

GAF is this a trend? if yes are more media outlets with this trend? is Xenoblade getting snubbed? is the media just going with the flow? Is ME3 the best RPG of this year?

as we can see Xenoblade is getting nominated so it is not about the different regions releases.

GameStop exclusive probably hurt it with the reader votes. A lot of people imported it last year so they already got to play it.

CorvoSol

I'm enjoying Xenoblade so far. Confused how XIII-2 gets an honorable mention, though. I mean, REALLY. It wasn't a BAD game, but if that even deserves an honorable mention for best JRPG of the year, we're starving for them something fierce.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Xenoblade is perhaps the number one contender for most overhyped game on GAF. It seems to be fairly competent jRPG with trite tropey characters I immediately took a disliking to (big no no) but you'd think it was the second coming of christ from a certain game-starved subset of the console family tree.

I'd rather take issue with Dragon's Dogma being missing from any RPG lists since Xenoblade had its 2011 shot. Any game where you can accidentally end up eternally betrothed to the gruff inn-keeper is surely role playing gaming of the highest order.

Toki767

Well, it's a cliche JRPG with combat ripped from every WoW clone on the market. Mediocre voice acting and a largely empty world with nothing going on. Gem system ripped straight from WoW as well.

It also features a talent tree system that is largely pointless since you end up getting every single talent on the three.

Mass Effect 3 is a much greater RPG, especially in terms of the choices you get to make both story and character development wise.

So did you pick the red, blue, or green light?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sad how few of those games even are RPGs... Never mind any CRPGs... Those Kickstarted projects can't come soon enough.

Xenoblade is perhaps the number one contender for most overhyped game on GAF. It seems to be fairly competent jRPG with trite tropey characters I immediately took a disliking to (big no no) but you'd think it was the second coming of christ from a certain game-starved subset of the console family tree.
Because all those people praising it (not as the perfect game mind you, but those other titles aren't exactly up there either), on GAF of all places, the obvious Nintendo stronghold, only have a Wii and don't even play any games on it so of course playing Xenoblade was a big deal! Thank God we have Pie to reveal the truth. Alternatively, just speak for yourself and leave it at that dude, what's so hard about doing just that? Why do you have to force your opinion as fact based on such silly assumptions?

I'm enjoying Xenoblade so far. Confused how XIII-2 gets an honorable mention, though. I mean, REALLY. It wasn't a BAD game, but if that even deserves an honorable mention for best JRPG of the year, we're starving for them something fierce.

You answered your own confusion. It's a dying genre in the West.

AniHawk

this is xenoblade's third year on the goty market. i think people might be worn out on it, and it had a great deal of exposure last year especially.

it's my personal favorite game of the year, but i understand why it wouldn't win. it's pretty good that it's getting nominations though.

mass effect 3 is trash that shouldn't be winning anything. not sure what mainstream thing should go in its place though. persona 4, maybe.

mass effect 3 is all right.

Either it's getting snubbed, reviewers have terrible taste, or they have a mental disability. I tend toward some combination of all three.

If it were released on anything other than the Wii, it would be getting tons of awards.

I'm not saying it's due to industry-wide Nintendo hate (although I do think that's a part of it), but because it doesn't have shiny graphics or an "epic" cinematic story.

Misguided

Banned
It came out in 2011 first, so it's generally counted as a 2011 game. Not sure why people don't understand this. Catherine came out this year I believe in Europe but in 2011 in the states, so it's counted as a 2011 game.

Alex

I would have liked this game so much more if the questing system and what it did to game balance wasn't so terrible, we're talking clunk that would have made FFXIV 1.0 blush. Still very good stuff though, if you just plowed right through it with a little exploration on the side. Still I'm more interested in a hopeful sequel/successor revising my issues with it than dwelling on how it was robbed. Just a little too flawed, in my opinion, for that.

Also, while Xcom is absolutely fantastic ... why would it be up for RPG of the year, I wouldn't even classify it as an SRPG.

I'm not saying it's due to industry-wide Nintendo hate (although I do think that's a part of it), but because it doesn't have shiny graphics or an "epic" cinematic story.

It has shiny visuals for it's platform and it most certainly does try to be a epic, cinematic game. I certainly don't see how you'd say it isn't trying to be the latter.

?? picked it up a few weeks back and am having fun playing it on my WiiU.

really well made game. also got last story as well but won't start until xenoblade is complete.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
In all fairness, Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game, but with a poorly written ending. Some people often accuse it of ditching certain elements found in the first game such as exploration and broader rpg elements, which i would agree with. Still, on its own merits its a phenomenal experience. People seem to dislike the whole "blockbuster/hollywood" approach that has been more prominent in ME2 and 3, but i dont mind as long as there is something beneath it, which there is. Just because its not exactly like the original Mass Effect doesnt make it objectively bad.

Korigama

It came out in 2011 first, so it's generally counted as a 2011 game. Not sure why people don't understand this. Catherine came out this year I believe in Europe but in 2011 in the states, so it's counted as a 2011 game.
It came out in 2010 first. And those outlets don't count what year something released outside North America.

It was pretty. It wasn't that much fun. Or if it was eventually, a game should be some sort of fun prior to the 15 hour mark at which I gave up on it.

Malvingt2

If it were released on anything other than the Wii, it would be getting tons of awards.

I was thinking that too.

It came out in 2011 first, so it's generally counted as a 2011 game.
A lot of people in here are clearly confused. It is a 2012 game in the USA. I loved what Gamespot did. They reviewed and nominated the game for 2011 awards to avoid this. The others site didn't so you have to include Xenoblade for the 2012 awards because of that.

AniHawk

What did you pick for Xenoblade's end? Oh wait.

mass effect 3 was supposed to be the culmination of 3 games, where the decisions made in each one has an effect on the final outcome of the game. mass effect 3 did not deliver on its largest and most important promise.

Beth Cyra

I didn't give it game of the year or even RPG of the year either.

I don't see it as being snubbed, other people like other games more. Them having an opinion is all good in my book even if I don't agree with it.

It's a third party game on the Wii.

WuT???

Top Bottom