• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy |OT| - better than your fanfiction

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
New DLC hit the store yesterday.

I haven't played the game in some time, but I'm tempted to just so I can listen to the BGM packs. I wonder what songs are in the FFV and VI packs, anyone know?

Adam Prime said:

I haven't played the game in some time, but I'm tempted to just so I can listen to the BGM packs. I wonder what songs are in the FFV and VI packs, anyone know?

Thanks for the heads up. Will be checking those out for sure. Grinding battles to my custom battle themes from FFs through the years is one of my favorite parts of this game.

Adam Prime said:

What's the new DLC?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Professor Beef said:
What's the new DLC?

Add-on Game Content (also available from PS3 Storefront)

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY Bartz: Dancer ($0.99)
File size: 3.1 MB

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY FFV BGM Pack 3 Tracks ($0.99)
File size: 3.7 MB

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY FFVI BGM Pack 3 Tracks ($0.99)
File size: 3.2 MB

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY FFXI BGM Pack 3 Tracks ($0.99)
File size: 6.5 MB

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY Shantotto: Wedding Dress ($0.99)
File size: 2.8 MB

DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY Terra: Striped Dress ($0.99)
File size: 3 MB

rataven

Squall's magnificent mullet might actually get me to play as him.

SE has been kind of mum on any new alts. No DLC love for Kain or Firion yet. Hope they haven't been forgotten!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
rataven said:
Squall's magnificent mullet might actually get me to play as him.

SE has been kind of mum on any new alts. No DLC love for Kain or Firion yet. Hope they haven't been forgotten!

... yeah the game's about run it's course (in the retail world anyway). I'd be real surprised if there's anything new that's going to be released. I would think SE would be moving on to other projects by now. It would be neat for them to re-release the game with all the DLC (after it's been released) for the same price to get in more people who didn't get it the first time.

Amazing to me why this game isn't getting the PS3 HD Remix like a few other PSP titles are. Imagine this game with real online play, leaderboards, lobbies, etc? Could be really awesome. I think this game would make a great addition to the PSN Store for about $30 as a PS3 HD Remix.

Valnen

Adam Prime said:
... yeah the game's about run it's course (in the retail world anyway). I'd be real surprised if there's anything new that's going to be released. I would think SE would be moving on to other projects by now. It would be neat for them to re-release the game with all the DLC (after it's been released) for the same price to get in more people who didn't get it the first time.

Amazing to me why this game isn't getting the PS3 HD Remix like a few other PSP titles are. Imagine this game with real online play, leaderboards, lobbies, etc? Could be really awesome. I think this game would make a great addition to the PSN Store for about $30 as a PS3 HD Remix.
Totally agreed.

Adam Prime said:

Where did you hear that it wasn't? I would be absolutely shocked if this wasn't one of the games getting a PS3 makeover.

rataven

Adam Prime said:
They did mention there would be more DLC scheduled to arrive in THIS press release, but I'm beginning to wonder if they were referring to PSN releases of the preorder bonuses.

OK, this is driving me mad right now. I've purchased a number of the DLC costumes and music packs, and they keep disappearing. For example, I can install 3 or 4 costumes and then 5 music packs - and only the music packs are available to me in the game, with the costumes nowhere to be seen. Even my Aerith assist character has gone completely missing.

Has anyone else had this issue? Just for reference, I am on official firmware and using the UMD...

It is an odd one. I just can't figure it out :(. I'll probably try to delete the DLC file then try re-downloading them from scratch...

Hey, so I finished both the 012 and main scenario a few months back. I recently booted this up again and realized that there was more to unlock. Included was scenario 000. Has anyone tried this mode before? There come actual plot in it too, and the enemies are super strong. It fun though, strangely enough.

Nix

Banned
SpaceBridge said:
Hey, so I finished both the 012 and main scenario a few months back. I recently booted this up again and realized that there was more to unlock. Included was scenario 000. Has anyone tried this mode before? There come actual plot in it too, and the enemies are super strong. It fun though, strangely enough.

O_O. Yeah, it's pretty fun actually, although, have you not been frequenting the PP store? I'd say you should go there often, as more and more content pops up occasionally.

Rather than 00, I found the labyrinth alot of fun, going in with a dedicated team.

Nix said:
O_O. Yeah, it's pretty fun actually, although, have you not been frequenting the PP store? I'd say you should go there often, as more and more content pops up occasionally.

Rather than 00, I found the labyrinth alot of fun, going in with a dedicated team.

I have a lvl 92 Warrior of Light thats been destroying all enemies so far. Havent had to buy new accessories or change my skills for the last 10 lvls. I probably should.

SpaceBridge said:
Scenario 000 is what you have to finish to get the good equips, materials, and how to unlock Feral CHaos.

Narolf

Banned
Necrobumping the thread to discuss the viability of this game in PvP.

As a small portion of Gaf may know, DissidiaForums, beyond its pure reference aspect for guides and so forth, also aims at providing a competitive online scene for Dissidia, ever since the first installment. However, it didn't unfold without several complications which remain present as for today. They can be summed up into a simple problematic: is it preferable to shape the metagame as per according to what the majority of players wants it to be like or, in contrary, let it alone and play the game as per according to what the devs intended it to be?

Dissidia 013's meta has been shaped by ins and outs between these two patterns. To put it in a nutshell, the first tournament (Dissidence) banned all RPG elements (equips, accessories, summons...) of the game to give it the same feel as any "common" fighter. Then came Ninja's Playground, a team tournament which did allow RPG elements this time around, but with a few set of restrictions (like a preset coefficient not to surpass as for booster accessories). And then came Get Salty which, as its name implies, allowed -almost- everything in the game, to see how broken it can get.

After Get Salty, the general consensus was that the meta needed to be standardized, to provide the fairest competitive environment as possible: same equipments for all characters, some restrictions ability-wise, no summons, etc. The ruleset was called KAoS and this is how the forum rolled by for like... eight months (February to October 2010). It has known many revisions and alterations (KAoS 1.0, Ragnarök...); the tiers list was based on KAoS 1.5. However, the 2.0 iteration caused quite a hiatus by banning a single, yet crucial, ability: Snooze & Loose, which resulted in making the game even more campy than what it used to be. I don't exactly recall the whole debacle, but at the point the tournament banning SnL was done, everyone changed their mind regarding rulesets: there was no room to let players' biases get into the meta, the game was better off being let as it is in all cases and, because of that, the tiers list was "no longer relevant". As such, the very last DFF tournament was another Get Salty ("Get Salty 2") and the consensus turned to be to never ever replicate KAoS for Dissidia 012.

As a grand novelty in the PvP department, DDFF had two in-game rulesets: Official and Off.(Skill). The latter was quickly left apart for "ruining the damage-scale" so that Official was determined as the competitive ruleset, settled with such impregnation that a step aside from said ruleset is now considered as a blasphemy. Several people still don't enjoy the game through Official, yet a single attempt at changing it so slightly always leads to a shitstorm: last one to date arose when the question of banning summons has been approached. Many veterans, refusing the idea the game can be altered whatsoever, decided to jump ship. It's not dramatizing to admit this so called "competitive scene" is now represented by ten people at the very most and that as I'm writing these lines, the forum is ten times more hyped for the Triple Triad inbuilt forum game which has just been announced than they will ever be for any future Dissidia tournament. That is deceptive.

Although, and that's quite the gist of it, Dissidia may be trash on the competitive scale, it remains fairly popular online. It's not hard to find someone to play with during evenings if you're American, it has its dedicated lobby on Adhoc Party (D1) and an IRC for match-makings: it may be despised by pure competitors, yet it remains appreciated by casuals. Still, some of the later were interested in competitive action so that a special form of tournaments was created: customs tournaments, wherein Official isn't the ruleset by default but just another choice for people to vote for (three or more rulesets are presented and the one getting the most votes is in use for the custom tournament).

If anything, these tournaments were meant to be trivia, as their data (results, etc.) isn't kept on track by the forum and yet, oh well, I guess numbers pretty much speak by themselves: twenty persons joined Fusion (aka the last custom) while eight persons partook into the last "serious" tournament, said tournament which didn't even have half of its matches completed because of people dropping-out. From a personal point of view, customs tournaments make the concern of holding an actual competitive scene for Dissidia seem like a complete non-issue. Some Joes called them "back-steps from the original meta" as expected, but it's an allegation I've never really minded. I'm happy to see them flourishing and I do hope the next one will gather as much interest as Fusion did.

My post may have conveyed this whole story as a simple forum drama, but I do believe that actually is the reflection of deeper matters which I wished to tackle:
  • Can a metagame be shaped solely by a community rather than as per according to the devs' intent?
  • Is it legit to consider this game in the scope of strict competitive standards considering that, even if it remains a fighter, it wasn't apparently designed for whatsoever form of competition?

I'm well-aware this game is already old for many out there but still, any comments or suggestions, be it from people who solely played Dissidia or who are accustomed to fighters in general, would be appreciated.

I remember wanting so much to get into the competitive scene of this game, even making an account on Dissidia Forums. But the inability to settle on a ruleset turned me off. I'm still subscribed to their youtube channel so I can see how the character metagame is progressing, and it's looking like it's based off of Exdeath running things.

Another thing I noticed is that assists rule the scene. For better or worse, they have changed things dramatically.

I have always treated this game like Smash Bros. It is best played casually. Stripping away the rules also strips away the fun and RPG elements (customization). On the flip side keeping all the rules makes the game frustrating with "cheap" wins and overpowered and unbalanced players.

I have always preferred *GASP! playing the game in Single player. The AI is decent enough and there is hundreds upon hundreds of hours of content to play through. Also I just can't take ad hoc play seriously. It is too much of a bothersome to set up.

At 200 plus hours game time I still haven't even checked out all the modes.

MechaX

Narolf said:
My post may have conveyed this whole story as a simple forum drama, but I do believe that actually is the reflection of deeper matters which I wished to tackle:
  • Can a metagame be shaped solely by a community rather than as per according to the devs' intent?
  • Is it legit to consider this game in the scope of strict competitive standards considering that, even if it remains a fighter, it wasn't apparently designed for whatsoever form of competition?

Well, I think Smash Bros Melee is a good example of your first point; while things like wavedashing and a lot of the advanced tricks were clearly not designed for the normal player in mind, the community managed to make due and created an entire metagame around it that the creators didn't have in mind (by which they definitely took large steps to eliminate in Brawl, but that's a different story). The problem is that unlike Melee, Dissidia has no "accidental elements" for the community to really shape a competitive metagame around. Instead, what you have is people trying to fit square pegs in round holes to make some kind of competitive metagame to Dissidia that has utterly failed since the first one.

In short, you have games where the competitive metagame was entirely accidential, but it works, and games where the developers again didn't have the intent and the actual game just doesn't allow much leeway for a competitive metagame to exist. Dissidia falls into the latter.

Dodge-cancelling is definitely something in Dissidia that falls into the wavedashing camp. It was removed almost entirely in 012, along with all of the infinites that half of the cast had.

Of course now the new thing to do is abuse assists.

Narolf

Banned
The DissidiaForums' tier list has been out for quite some time now (beginning of August 2012) and I know Professor Beef already acknowledged it, for instance. However, I wasn't around the Internet at that time to post it here, something I wanted to do ever since the Dissidia community all started to work on it, ever since February.

So, with the tier list having a new thread on DF for its new incarnation, now seems a good time to necro-bump and post it in this thread.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsgCizMWmN6cdDJmSjhVOGlOeGZIZFd1UnNGeVc0Z2c#gid=0

http://dissidiaforums.com/showthrea...eturn-of-decimals-comes-with-even-more-values

This tier list is the work of a contingent of our community, of our backroom, which would be the equivalent of the SmashBoards' backroom. It's the work of all top players of the scene, people you may know the nickname of should you be subscribed to the forum's YT channel (Dart, LonelyGaruga, ultimaweapon2000, Cipher, etc.). As such, it's 100% community-inputted: no tournaments' data has been put into the equation, each and every single value of this chart has been provided by a top Dissidia player. May not be up to your average competitive online gaming scene's standards, I know. It's that data's collecting has started way, way too late (only recently actually) to be considered any reliable. Instead, we decided to use data only to settle divergences between players. For instance, if two players don't agree with the value to give to the match-up Cloud Strife/Squall Leonhart, then we will resort to data to sort out the argument and come to an agreement.

While this chart is the backroom's collective work, I remain its administrator. Feel free to ask questions as such.

Top Bottom