• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

So, I started playing FFV and the jobs have opened up. What jobs should I pick now for an optimum run?

Bartz
Reina
Galuf
Faris

Also, any tips/missables?

I never know what to tell people starting out, as FF5 has lots of options. Getting barehanded (from Monk) for the characters who will be casters is always fun, and Sword-types like 2-handed from Knight. Blue magic in FF5 is overpowered, so Learning is also good.

The primary missables in FFV are bardsongs and summons, all of which I hit somewhere in my run in this thread. Others include 1 ribbon (out of 4; but they're a rare steal at endgame), 1 protect ring (also out of 4; give up on this, it's a rare steal in a timed fight), and all 4 pieces of Genji Equipment.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Now with a 25% bump in image quality!

iNykIKqNO3Z0Y.jpg
iwFI6GCmJDeMV.jpg

Things kick off with me not knowing when this takes place. The first shot looks like Meteor above Midgar but then Vincent, Yuffie, and allegedly the others are helping an evacuation? Is this after the team parachuted into Midgar? Not likely since Shinra'd be after them instead of letting 'em help. Couldn't be as they were flying around after defeating Sephiroth and Holy appearing so... -_-??

Part 2: "onward, for the thread!"

ibvZDHiDlJg5aO.jpg
iMBgYZJf4jGSH.jpg

Vincent, who apparently has a phone, pesters Yuffie to scan the Mako Cannon and wouldn't ya know, something's alive somewhere up on top of it! For all her hard work she's told to go rejoin Cloud and the others. Super rude to blow her off like that!

icsqSM5gDJUAy.jpg
iBQ2fgnEuvUAF.jpg

...Not that she wants any part of it anyhow! Vincent rushes up lotsa stairs and at the top he finds the still dead Hojo. Who, despite all the mutations, is still very much human in appearance. And honestly doesn't look to much worse for wear aside from being dead.

irWpwcDUBptYx.jpg
ibk1pxD6KHc0Vz.jpg

Vincent takes this opportunity to desecrate a corpse... or maybe finish him off? That life sign indicator! Is Hojo still kicking?? Better safe than sorry! His gun shot kinda causes a pretty big explosion which Yuffie helps him escape from on the back of a hoverscooter type thing? I'm not gonna question it! We're left with a monitor and the words "start fragment program" Fragment? And so .hack begins.

i5qW0dArCpCcS.jpg
i595yRz0V7sob.jpg

3 years later... Vincent's chilling out with his crystalized would-be lover Lucrecia. Instead of a labcoat she now seems to be wearing a really nice dress. The power of Jenova! She says she's sorry but he's like "sorry for what? I'm the one at fault". In any case it turns out that Vincent was just daydreaming. He's actually alone in a hotel room in Kalm. Because he's a classy guy he has a glass of red wine and on his phone is a message to meet with Reeve. Meanwhile a semi-recent news report pops up saying about a super secret bunker being found under Shinra HQ and how they're gonna open it up and expose the companies nasty secrets which they believe to be regarding human experimentation! If that's all they wanted to blow the lid on they coulda just interviewed our hero... -.-;

iwBL8p0qZonSn.jpg
ibdU6Ou4VnBA71.jpg

Outside the the hotel the streets of Kalm are filled with a fun festival including fireworks and folk dancing? I never pegged Kalm as the backwater bumpkin kind of place. But as with any rpg that starts off with a celebration of sorts ya just know shit is gonna go down.

irAlWSdzmY61z.jpg
iF2cWc4fY6IfU.jpg

Armored goons & beasts are airdropped into the midst of Kalm to crash the party and well, do evil baddie type things. Like shoot at and maul people.

iG8mKV4jtwUvX.jpg
iNHqhBN4NyviE.jpg

When a large craft flies right up to the window in his room, Vincent does some shooting of his own! He blows it to pieces single handedly! And of course, cool guys ALWAYS turn their back to explosions!

ibfJKKFCGXbHgg.jpg
inyALbyLRQUP0.jpg

Ordinary citizens however aren't so lucky. When not being chased down and maimed, they're being herded up like cattle and stuffed into big ol' containers. We can't just sit by and let the badguys get away with this!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
An now the title I was alluding to earlier~

icdy7pfA9WJXy.jpg

No not this one. This is just the chapter title or something. Keep reading!

ibqQ8XJTsY4iIi.jpg
iKHJfTauOehHz.jpg

Dat in-engine character model. Vincent's being a slowpoke checking out all the commotion below but not really doing anything about it yet. Little does he know some strange girl hooked up to all sorts of computery stuff is spying on him!

iIlviZxPwpOy9.jpg
ibfNaSk39YJvZP.jpg

So after the opening scene stuff I was all ready to play! Keep in mind I didn't check the tutorial or read the manual. I quickly figured out the controls or so I thought. Jump, duck, attack, move around, okay that seems about right! Kinda Crisis Core-y. Just one problem. How do I attack the guys above shooting at me? I started hitting more buttons! Trying to double jump up to wail on 'em but I couldn't reach. Eventually I get to the R1 button and that's when it dawned on me...

Part 3: "its a third person shooter???????"

igqwsvaGpxUSD.jpg
ibjvba6pSux0ti.jpg

My experience with TPS are as follows: Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 5 demo. That's it. RE4 was fine cause ya didn't move and shoot at the same time and cause aiming was with the left stick. RE5 demo I gave up on real quickly cause I couldn't comprehend moving an object (character) with one stick while simultaneously moving an object (crosshair) with the right. Guess what? I still can't comprehend the true form of using the right stick to direct stuf! The game over screen on just the third enemy encounter came as no surprise to me. Here's to the first of many!

ibyaIOPxlKx3BO.jpg
ikNmJbzyHM6So.jpg

All the excitement, dying, and bumbling around caused Vincent to forget where Reeve is supposed to be. Some professional he is. "Protect the civilians!" LOL. Not gonna happen game! I can barely keep myself alive! Are mission objectives failable? Am I gonna miss out on a boatload of EXP & Gil if I'm a failure? Crrraaapp I hope not!

ipax8Z7oki6pR.jpg
ibysQxAz0WNWMf.jpg

Thank you for popping up before I even had found a Materia, Mr. Info Box! Mako Points popped up in Crisis Core a couple of time but there they held items and on another occasion enemies. Here they just restore your MP. Some more gunning but not running later I encountered one of those beast things. Melee comes in handy on them which is a good thing cause there's no way I could move and shoot at something so close!

ibu7wIWynlTEEb.jpg
iblk8H5HLHXcST.jpg

Deepground huh? So that's who I'm fighting? Thanks Mr. Info Box for letting me in on something that hadn't yet been told through the games story! Not that knowing the name of the mysterious enemy organization is gonna do me much good. Nor is telling me about Limit Breaks but not telling me how to USE them! Apparently they're a consumable item now and I would not figure this out until later.

ibyYMUwV51t6DX.jpg
ibnxRl4wnYrMUN.jpg

Vincent runs across a girl and her mom getting viciously attacked by another of them beasts an its up to him to save the girl! The only problem is that people are shooting at him from all over the place and they're real hard to spot and thank goodness for lotsa potions lying around! Got no clue as to who or what I shot up there but if numbers pop up it means something that isn't me is getting killed. The girl got saved and ran off to see her mommy, which isn't a sight I'd wanna see since that beast had been all over her x.x

iY5Zjz0SRnWsu.jpg
iJi4kzXAc1yvy.jpg

I can't possibly fail this latest objective! (Spoilers: I died just after getting it and had to re-do the girl saving part. Ya couldn't checkpoint me after getting/using it could ya game?) As for this sniper scope it can go to hell. It's way to dark an area to use something like this an my previously mentioned tiny game screen makes it all the more impossible to use.

iGHQrYfvpWXNg.jpg
iJFX52yjoa78h.jpg

While running through the area again I learned the hard way not to shoot explosive barrels while no enemies are around. And while you're standing pretty close to them. Ouch! Unlike the scope this here barrel seems like it'll be plenty useful. I need all the damage dealing power I can get to help make up for me being so, so bad!

Toth

And pick apart this amazing gem? Of course! I actually tried replaying this game a few months ago on my SNES. Oh the hours and hours of grinding, I just couldn't take it anymore after awhile. Otherwise I do remember enjoying it a lot as a kid, and I think that nostalgia helped me get as far as I did...good luck finishing it!

Ugh, the worst RPG I have ever played. The secret of the game is that it is horrid.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmmmm, what is this?

1S8nY.png
CpJYZ.png
G8eF0.png

It might be the result of a conversation in this thread.

I've forgotten a lot of the better reasons why I don't like FFVI's dungeons as much as FFIV's or FFV's.

...perhaps an FF6 playthrough is in order later on. Because I seriously don't remember a lot about the dungeon design that made me feel bored with it (outside of the tilesets and colours, of course). There are a few dungeons in FF6 that I like (ex: the forest, the Phantom Train, etc.) but that's due to aesthetics sometimes (especially the Phantom Train considering it's a straight line).

Hm.

(I dunno if this is gonna be a full playthrough yet because I want to figure things out for myself.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BOOOOOOOOOOO
Would you rather me make fun of FF8?!

because I have junctioning stats memorized you know
you're going to have to put up with math

and me making fun of selphie

q5LCN.jpg

She sure does. Wanna stay on it for the rest of the journey? You can, you know.

FTozh.jpg

Why are you singing about trains?

O7StU.jpg

I'm betting if this were voiced, it'd sound bad. Seriously. You can stay on the train.

Ply9G.jpg

Please stop.

siWtb.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Finished FF3 on the DS on January 1st. Woo. Waiting for FF4 in the mail. Playing Glory of Heracles in the meantime. Fun little title.

CorvoSol

Finishing up the Lunar Ruins today/tonight, and just bought FF Dimensions because I had a gift card.

Think once I clear FF7, I'll do FF1.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Okies so now I know this takes place 3 years after Meteorfall which means this is a year after the movie. Seems I ended up experiencing this saga in the right order!

iS254XTxiu1qe.jpg
i7F1AIOVRUDqT.jpg

When mundane ordinary troopers aren't enough ya gotta bring in the big guns. Heavy fire, rocket launches, and a non-stationary position sure made this Dragonfly much more than the average grunt! My aiming at moving targets is sooooo bad. After gradually dealing enough damage it dropped a bunch of guys on me! Dealing with them and the chopper wasn't easy at all and made me wish I had Vincents copter slaying cutscene power from earlier!

Part 4: "finally, a boss fight! or two."

ibuJa5mSyyAww8.jpg
ioaLESmplXJym.jpg

In the end I guess the fight counts as a retreat cause Vincent had to high tail it into a building to avoid rocket fire. A scene with that strange girl plays an she seems happy to have found Vincent. Well guess what I found in the building! A jukebox... shop? Nothing worth buying until I saw the modify section! Do I want +45 attack to my gun? YES PLEASE! I also found a Short Barrel. After I just got my power up the game wants me to lower it to decrease gun weight and increase firing speed? No thanx. If someone could tell me whether or not "weight" is a stat I should care about at all it'd be appreciated!

iwmAfjDeaJvmd.jpg
iI7pdeeFuiArg.jpg

After some stair climbing this big blue muscle dude busts down the wall and weird girl shows up! "The Protomateria. Tell us where it is." I don't even know what a protomateria is, nor whoever this Weiss-guy is! Vincent seems as in the dark as me so negotiations breakdown and its time to fight. Grunts! I tried to attack the big guy and the girl but nothing happened. So I just hulked out outta frustration and pounded on the grunts while those two just stood around looking smug as fuck.

iRy5m7pLDml3l.jpg
i8OoySyOmlhON.jpg

Once those guys were dealt with the girl passed out so the big guy picked her up and basically said 'later!'. But I was supposed to fight them?? Reeve arrives to get info and fill Vincent in on the situation. He's surprised by the namedropping of Azul. "Azul the Cerulean? Of the Tsviets!? Then that could only mean..." trailing off and leaving me hanging!

iKdyoT8zRR5Ij.jpg
imqg0a9TGkkGA.jpg

Reeve says the WRO is here to help evacuate citizens and they could use Vincent's help. That's not gonna come easy since he's the paranoid type. Didn't he learn to be a team player after FFVII or Advent Children? And people call Cloud emo? gtfo! In any case Reeve is shot in the back and falls to pieces! Wait a minute Cait Sith was wearing a "Reeve suit"?! Wow! The robo-cats silly charm wins over our hero who agrees to help run the enemy outta town!

iVW6LT58aYRYA.jpg
i6GxRqwd2k2to.jpg

New objective! Help out the goodguys! ...While still in Limit Break mode! Nice of it to not have run out during the cutscenes. Turns out I needed help cause it seemed like no matter how many troopers I killed more would keep spawning. Eventually I found the right place to trigger the next scene and get out of that hell hole. We then meet a kindly WRO member who takes time to offer supplies, dole out info, and give directions. Something about the name "World Regenesis Organization" fills me with unease. "The WRO was originally established three years ago after Meteorfall. With Jenova War hero Reeve Tuesti at its helm, our organization is dedicated to aiding the healing process of the planet, as well as protecting it from any who attempt further harm." Then where the heck were these guys during AC?? Anyhow I picked up a new frame which gives rapidfire like response? Okies I'll try it out.

iSoXOuAuQD8k5.jpg
i3bN2xDmV51u6.jpg

Running around helping WRO peeps in firefights with Deepground dudes and getting their thanks is making me feel pretty good but suddenly: it's time for Round 2! A bipedal walking chopper? Not quite. This is Dragonfly GL! This things much more 'generous' with rocket attacks. It's like I'm really playing your typical third person cover shooter! Except it blows away much of my cover. And this is last-gen. And my health doesn't regenerate. Rats!

ib1EHzWeA4qchj.jpg
iOS2GEV2rYnPJ.jpg

Somewhere along the way I think it exposed its weakspot which allowed me to do massive damage. The thing drops and cutscene powers takeover! The day isn't quite yet saved though. Deepground troops show up to avenge their fallen copter!

iREY1KNemGk84.jpg
i1cW8fuKwWvZI.jpg

Reeve and the WRO put a big truck between the enemy gunfire and Vincent and they all work together to suppress the remaining baddies. Yet as the enemy withdraws from Kalm, Reeve says they still need Vincent's help cause Edge is under attack!

iV3ZGBbAa8HVm.jpg
ich2W6T1eixu9.jpg

Over an hour for just the 1st chapter? And to think it took maybe 10 minutes to clear the first chapter of Crisis Core. There truly is no substitute for console gaming! And would ya look at that killstreak? An S rank! Awww yeaaaah. I must be a natural at shooters! *looks at other stats* Or maybe I'm not. Nor am I good at completing submissions -.-;

iIDiBOIcx65ec.jpg
iHzJNWhKlMgvE.jpg

Elsewhere, a strange phenomena is literally making people disappear!

iQZuK8mf2pAjV.jpg
ibfT7NPQDHCxGp.jpg

The WRO encounter a lady calling herself Rosso the Crimson and the still unknown "Tsviets" are namedropped again.

iBGSV4WxgjSin.jpg
ifBI04upp3hl.jpg

Rosso effortlessly slices the goodguys to bits and taunts their corpses...

Anteater

gonna play ffx again, oh man it's been 11 years since I first played it, dat theme music.

why did they downgrade the animations from the tgs gameplay video :(~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sounds like you're not digging Dirge, Lindsay. I don't like Dirge either! Have fun with the ending cutscene because I think it's kind of creepy.

I'm playing AC3 and a buncha other games for GotY stuff right now so I probably won't get back to actually starting posting the writeups for FF6 until later.

I do have the first one done and written up, though, because it's really short and cuts up right before Terra ????? awakens. Speaking of which, because this game is so beloved on GAF, I'm not sure whether I should change anyone's names or not.

Sounds like you're not digging Dirge, Lindsay. I don't like Dirge either! Have fun with the ending cutscene because I think it's kind of creepy.

I'm playing AC3 and a buncha other games for GotY stuff right now so I probably won't get back to actually starting posting the writeups for FF6 until later.

I do have the first one done and written up, though, because it's really short and cuts up right before Terra ????? awakens. Speaking of which, because this game is so beloved on GAF, I'm not sure whether I should change anyone's names or not.

Since I'm one of the only wrestling fans in the thread (Nocturnowl is too, but I'm posting first HA-HA), I should be Sabin. Also, the fighting game stuff.

...I'm gonna be Umaro, aren't I.

Bladenic

Up to the Forest of Moore in FF5. I never beat FF5 before, I Gamefly'd it years ago but never finished. I had forgotten how short World 1 and especially 2 really are. Also AP feels sooooo slow to acquire. Maybe because I'm trying to max Red Mage and Ranger and I don't think most other jobs are worth maxing out so I always switch when I reach the second to last Job level, but still. Feels like a chore. Oh well, game's still fun.

After I finish 5 the only main FF game I've yet to beat is.. Final Fantasy 6. I also Gamefly'd it earlier but got bored and sent it back around the start of WoR. GBA version is so expensive now too. Maybe I'll wait to see if it comes out for mobile/iOS.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Storywise I'm not having a problem with it. Gameplay is whats killing me cause this is like my first TPS... and likely last lol. Trying to focus on finding baddies shooting at me from far away is hard and then some jerks sneak up on me in the meantime! Having a hard time remembering what button does what and reacting and using 'em accordingly. If I had known beforehand this was a shooter I prolly woulda reconsidered, but someone had ta do it!

chris-013

Not enough FF12 IZJS love here !
I will do a new playthrough but I'm not sure how to manage screenshots... maybe I will use screenshots from let's play on youtube...

Anyway I'm not to sure about the job for each character yet. I already played a samurai Ashe and a monk Vaan so maybe a knight Ashe and Hunter Vaan this time around.

CorvoSol

FF4- Finished the unceremonious Lunar Ruins. Zeromus EG was a pushover. Started Interlude and do not like the neck-breaking pace. Give Cecil a goddamn minute to breathe, people! Also, would Yang seriously not mention that his wife was in labor because he didn't want to ruin Edward's one moment in the spotlight? Real talk: Cecil and Yang found time to impregnate their wives during/just after their adventures. Ain't nobody who can say they ain't manly men now (except that Cecil explicitly looks like his mom.)

FFD- Just been noodling in the woods so far. Not really wanting to drain my phone battery.

FF7- Off to the submarine for the last piece of Huge Materia except I don't remember why I'm after it anymore.

squall211

FF4- Finished the unceremonious Lunar Ruins. Zeromus EG was a pushover. Started Interlude and do not like the neck-breaking pace. Give Cecil a goddamn minute to breathe, people! Also, would Yang seriously not mention that his wife was in labor because he didn't want to ruin Edward's one moment in the spotlight? Real talk: Cecil and Yang found time to impregnate their wives during/just after their adventures. Ain't nobody who can say they ain't manly men now (except that Cecil explicitly looks like his mom.)

Can you still turn Zeromus EG into a frog in the PSP version, or was that fixed?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Figure I should start posting in here again since I've just started FF4 on the iPad. I'd started it off a few years ago on the DS but didn't really get into it, mostly because of the rather punishing death/save system that wiped out an hour of progress. Coming off of the DQ games this me handicapped really annoyed me, so I put the game down and never picked it back up again. I'd really enjoyed playing FF6 last year so I figured let's give this new release a go.

I still have no idea how the Normal and Hard difficulties relate to previous versions of the game, but I'm playing on Normal and I'm happy to see that the save/death system has been overhauled, it seems that when I die now I'm just reset to where I was when the battle started. Perfect!

So far I'm up to just meeting Palom and Parom, and I'm finding the tweeness of the game to be endearing rather than grating this time around. It's fun, and I love the brisk pace and how often the party is switched up. It seems there barely 20 minutes before someone joins or leaves and I'm constantly wondering what's around the next corner and where the story is headed. Hope it gets really epic!

CorvoSol

Can you still turn Zeromus EG into a frog in the PSP version, or was that fixed?

I didn't try, but Toad is the greatest spell ever. What does EG even stand for? I felt overall that the Lunar Ruins and their accompanying trials were so-so. The trials were interesting, particularly Kain's, but the ruins were just bleh.

Bladenic

I didn't try, but Toad is the greatest spell ever. What does EG even stand for? I felt overall that the Lunar Ruins and their accompanying trials were so-so. The trials were interesting, particularly Kain's, but the ruins were just bleh.

EG stands for Easy Game, because the sprite used for that battle was Zeromus' sprite in the JP EG version(and maybe the US version?).

GAF, I need some help.

I never managed to play FF8 back in the day (even though I've played all over FFs), and decided to start it a couple of days ago.

Since I am only playing it to experience the boss fights and the story, and don't think I'll ever muster the courage to do another playthrough (don't have the time), I am trying to see pretty much everything (or as much as possible). For this reason, I use a walkthrough, the one by Absolute Steve, which is available online.

Now, I am at a point where I just got the Ifrit card (not two hours after you start the game) and the walkthrough proposes to start playing card games to improve my deck, and take on the Queen of Cards in the small town next to the Garden.

Problem is, I've challenged her almost 15 times, and I've also challenged various other people in the Garden, and I do not seem to be able to strike a victory at all. The game always topples my cards, no matter how hard I try to play defence or offence, and the best I've managed is some draws.

What I am wondering is if the card game in FF8 is that much important to play, or if I can ignore it altogether and play the game like normal. It's pissing me off and already I don't feel like spending even a minute watching those stupid tiles and those stupid cards of mine. Unless someone can give me a sound strategy or tell me that somehow in the game I get some strong cards which will help me to face the other players, I won't bother with it.

I know that apparently cards give some pretty nice rewards, but I don't have the patience nor want to lose hours of my life doing something that I don't think is fun, at all.

I loved the Tetra Master game in FF9 and managed to beat everyone and get every card for it during my last playthrough, but it was totally optional and you could finish the game by playing only 3 or 4 matches.

Should I try harder or should I just forget about it and go on with the game?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't think Triple Triad is required for anything important other than getting items more easily.
But for most people playing Triple Triad probably accounts for 50% of their playtime, so you're not getting the true FF8 experience if you ignore it. ;)

chris-013

Yes, go on with the game.
Triple triad is just there for fun, you don't need card mod to beat the game it's already an easy game.

Bladenic

I never once used TT because I couldn't stand it, so just continue the game. It's still really easy and possible to semi break it.

chris-013

xAMo8.png

Let's start a new game !

DYgP7.png

War, war never changes...

ss0cC.png
pd8Y0.png

Basch, the true warrior of the game !

aivQQ.png

Penelo and Vaan, two useless characters ?

EiSU2.png

I really like the voice acting for Migelo. ^^

iQWtK.png
8zC4n.png

The first hunt of the game ! I'm still not sure what job to choose, I will make a decision later on.

Pachimari

Is Final Fantasy IX worth getting? I'm thinking of getting it for PS Vita but what is the story like generally? Is it about love? Friendships? Or war?

I really liked FFVIII back in the days. FFX became my favorite and I really liked FFXII as well. Haven't really played any others besides Crisis Core which is probably number 2 on my FF list.

Is Final Fantasy IX worth getting? I'm thinking of getting it for PS Vita but what is the story like generally? Is it about love? Friendships? Or war?

I really liked FFVIII back in the days. FFX became my favorite and I really liked FFXII as well. Haven't really played any others besides Crisis Core which is probably number 2 on my FF list.

It's one of my favourite FFs. It's right in line with the good FFs of thr golden days, back when Square didn't suck.

Bladenic

It's my favorite in the series. The story doesn't have a specific theme, although I would say the biggest part of it deals with life and death. Each character represents a virtue or characteristic that is part of their character and development.

Bladenic

Reached World 3 in Final Fantasy 5! Exdeath was a pushover. Hope I can finish up soon, though there's a ton of stuff to do here before tackling the final dungeon(s).

chris-013

So Vaan is a... Red Mage !

x0jZp.png

Let's finish the hunt and go back in town !

3evjl.png

Vayne, the consul, what a sweet talker.

0Pqxc.png

Dylan want a sunstone to activate a mysterious stone who open a secret passage...

BPnUz.png
wpAh9.png

Penelo : I'm stalking you, what else ?

I made Penelo a Black mage.

B1xxU.png
iSm0N.png

It's easy to do the Thextera hunt now with Penelo's help and his fire spell !

rI7op.png

Let's get back to Dylan and get the crescent stone.

rKelq.png
zIoER.png

First dungeon, the sewers !

z6QXy.png
NDya3.png

Mini-puzzle and...

VUVCM.png
wHp1C.png

Silly guards !

cYVb9.png
nFhxW.png

Secret passage and shiny stone !

2IOXJ.png
oqUSR.png

Balthier : Get back home, I'm the main character !
Fran : Give me the stone you are useless to the plot anyway. :p

JNnwY.png
yiptP.png

The Ifrit shooting the resistance...

j3ImE.png
jO371.png

Do it Balthier ! Nobody care if Vaan dies. :D

GMA51.png
35y2k.png

I made Balthier a Hunter and my main tank.
Fran is a White mage and I set his gambits to stealbot. ;)

Bladenic

Been ready for the Void/Rift for hours now, but I can't stop grinding my jobs. Completely voluntary. I'll probably end up going in with 4 Mimes at this rate.

CorvoSol

Been ready for the Void/Rift for hours now, but I can't stop grinding my jobs. Completely voluntary. I'll probably end up going in with 4 Mimes at this rate.

Grind against Movers IN the Rift. They're worth 100 JP a fight.

Final Fantasy 4 I finished the Interlude and well, that was underwhelming. For something that's supposed to be one of the big pieces of additional new content for this version, it frankly sucked. You mean to tell me that less than a year after FF4, Cecil has lost a full 60 levels? HOLY MOLY. No wonder it didn't bother anybody that Rydia had to relearn her summons and had forgotten how to talk. I've sort of come to think that Cecil x Rydia is an actual thing in FF4. Like, not ship them, but I feel as if they're shipped in the game. I mean, whenever Cecil leaves Rosa somewhere, he seems to be with Rydia. Rosa gets morning sickness in this game? whell I guess I'll just ditch Edward and Yang's lame parties and go down to Hell and see how my freak girl's doin'. Also, I love that Yang doesn't even tell them his wife is pregnant, but all of them have to be at Cecil's castle to find out Rosa is. WOW. Some friends you've got there, Yang, don't even know your wife is pregnant, leave you for dead in the underworld. YEESH.

Started TAY, and I like Ceodore's redesign. His new sprite is vastly cooler than his old derp one.

FF7 Got the Submarine and did some submarinating, met Lucrecia, and Vincent told her her son was dead just to mess with her because biotch dumped him for HOJO. Went to SPACE where Cid at last learned he would always be stuck with nice girl Shera forever. Hijinks about a meteor or something I don't know. Too busy making Chocobos do my bidding and blinging out with Giant Materia and ultimate weapons.

Final Fantasy Dimensions I don't know why people dislike this game. So far it's a pretty fun, easy to pick up and put down FF5-style game. Sol is a stupid protagonist so I've awarded his title to Aegis (because Aigis is a terrible name) and "Nacht-is" as I've taken to calling him. Phones are not my hand-held of choice though, and I pray to God they never replace real handhelds because the controls in this game are so needlessly complicated by the lack of actual buttons. The story is pretty standard fare, Alba looks like either Shantotto or whatever that Meido Pokemon is. And, just like in a real Final Fantasy, I NEVER HAVE MONEY.

Ultratech

After putting this off for like...months now; I'm finally gonna deliver on an LP for FFIII.

For the PSP. And screenshots!

So yeah, Let's Play some Final Fantasy III!

pic_0000zoy9z.png

As you can see, there's a neat Gallery option not in any of the other FFIII games, but we'll explore that later. (Plus, there's nothing really in it at the moment.)

===Altar Cave===

6EzKs.pngf
Crystal Cave

Anywho, our auspicious story starts out with falling in a hole.

Yeah, our hero is apparently clumsy or something and fell in a hole.

Shortly after getting his bearing, this shit happens: A Goblin attacks!
pic_00015iawk.png
pic_0002dazd2.png
\

6EzKs.pngf
Battle 1 + Fanfare

Despite outnumbering you 3:1, Goblins are horrendously weak.

They miss with about half their attacks and don't do a lot of damage to begin with. Perfect for a tutorial battle!

In case you missed it, and I failed to take a screenshot of it, we'll be calling this dude ZANDIG. Named for this very same Zandig (and sort of a joke off the HG101 article on the game featuring Glenn Danzig and other musicians).
I trust you, it will make sense in time. Plus, Luneth is a shitty name.

pic_00036hzqm.png
pic_0004wiy5k.png

No shit, Sherlock.

Let's take a look at the menu!

pic_0005oyln3.png
pic_0006j1yhz.png

As you can see, Zandig starts at a puny Lv.1. But first, I gotta change the music to Original. Because 8-bit Famicom tunes are SO AWESOME.

The Re-arranged stuff isn't too bad, though some tunes seem a bit excessive due to the instrumentation. I'll post some examples later.

pic_00088ia8w.png
pic_00093da7l.png

Moving forward a bit and finally getting control, Zandig finds some items. (Some potions, a longsword and/or a Leather Shield, idk.) And a weird looking rock. So weird.

pic_001745bm0.png
pic_0018qqz0i.png

Turns out the rock was a switch! The right wall breaks and Zandig finds an Antarctic Wind.

Not sure how you carry something like that, but go figure. Also, more items!

pic_0020ppige.png
pic_002131fuh.png

And a peculiar looking wellspring on the next floor.

It fully heals all HP and MP. Too bad Zandig has no magic. :(

pic_0022gbd4f.png
pic_0023slc0t.png

After getting to about Lv3~4, Zandig finally makes his way through a weird door and ends up in a VERY different-looking room.

6EzKs.pngf
Crystal Room

pic_0024b5f77.png
pic_002525i7m.png

Unfortunately, Zandig takes about two steps and dark forces gather and attack! Shit.

pic_0026rlddb.png
pic_002732c0r.png

BOSS FIGHT: Adamantoise

6EzKs.pngf
Battle 2 (Boss Theme)

JESUS CHRIST!

For the game's 1st boss, it's not a terribly hard fight. If you wanted to make it a complete joke, you could use those Antarctic Winds you found in the chests. Or you could also whittle him to death with your Longswords.

Anyways, the giant turtle doesn't do anything but attack, so just attack it until your HP falls low and use a Potion. Simple. How it manages to float in midair? Not so simple.

pic_0029y6iae.png
pic_0031w3de2.png

Victory over the boss has something talking to Zandig's mind. You know this since everything is black. (Or so I assume. I honestly have no idea.)

pic_0032jjfdf.png
pic_003335c5r.png

No, Zandig, it's a goddamn ghost. Of course it's the Crystal!

pic_00353ufm5.png
pic_0036o6f02.png

pic_00376ceqt.png
pic_0038rsicf.png

"But why can't I have it now?"

pic_0039ybftq.png

And then Zandig died...or not. (Wouldn't be much of a game if one of our Heroes died in the first 30 minutes.)

Next Time: BEES and Werewolves in Towns! (And how to stomp them out of existence.)

KtSlime

I've started playing FF Type-0 after seeing that only CorvoSol had played it. Impressions so far: I like the concept, the classes abilities is pretty well distributed, don't much care for the siege mode.

Heropon

In the last chapter, our girls were victims of a fatality and were revived in Bevelle to confront a trial:

7T5Z1.png
mcHOW.png

7zMev.png
Persona 4 - Game

THE 100 40 FLOORS OF DEATH

This place, found in Bevelle by the Kinderguardians, has 100 floors full of unskippable encounters (the repel accesory doesn't work) against old random mobs and bosses. There's a special boss each 20 floors, so I'm going to defeat 2 of them as I only want a certain accesory from here. The first thing our heroines encounter in this awful place is a geezer. He must be lost, they think.

1kEMr.png
HcTr7.png

This man gives them another Crimson Sphere where they can see how Nooj, Baralai and Gippal succeeded at not getting killed during the Crimson Squad exam. As always, the government doesn't want people to know the obscure things they do and try to use the marines soldier monks to kill them.

AFnp6.png
WMKfy.png

This dungeon is the climax of the generic dungeon asset madness and instead of 100 floors generated randomly, it chooses between various templates so it's pretty common to see the same layout again and again during the exploration. The first 19 floors have enemies from the first chapter, so they're nothing more than free AP at this point.

In the 20th floor, the Gullwings encounter an old friend of them during the times of FFX and flashback land in Paine's case, Maester Wen Kinoc. Let's greet him!

8oIuy.png
LYwQs.png

7zMev.png
Spiderman (1967) - Opening song

Ouch, he isn't happy to see us and transforms into a horrible spider-looking thing. This fight is really easy by this dungeon standards, so I don't really know a strategy against this abomination. Hitting it hard could be considered a strategy? This evil monster dies easily and gives the last Crimson Sphere, where we can see the famous Nooj treason. Nothing of importance, let's continue.

dcm1i.png
LvQrD.png

7zMev.png
Cabaret - Money

Jyscal is here too! I thought he wasn't an enemy of the girls before, but he transforms into another monster anyways. This one is a tough nut and doesn't like getting damaged by normal attacks (physical/magical). Luckily for me, Rikku knows the real value of money and throws it as if there were Steam sales. The 9999 price tag is easily paid and the monster goes to the Farplane, from where he shouldn't have come.

fhR4s.png

At least he drops a beatiful chest with some cool accesories that grant Shell, Protect and Regen and other curious abilities. The best of them is the Cat Nip accesory, that makes all attacks do 9999 damage when in critical status. I'm not the best strategist in the world, but I certainly can use this item to take care of some unfinished business. I'm not going to complete this dungeon, so if anyone is curious about it, I think Dark Schala has completed the rest, so she can be asked about the rest of the super bosses.

It's time to punish Angra Mainyu for its Sins.

TM6Kn.png
OpUqj.png

7zMev.png
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP - Boss Theme (Arranged)

Super Boss Battle: Angra Mainyu, 2nd try

This big monster is the typical boss with three targets. The core has a total amount of 333444 HP. Spine-chilling, isn't it? This monster can be defeated with careful planning and elaborated strategies or more easily with my lovely new accesory. Thanks to it, a multi hit attack becomes lethal against most of the monsters in this game. Two Trigger Happy III attacks against it are enough to wreck it and reclaim the last Episode Complete that I needed!

DWV7r.png

7zMev.png
Mission Complete

The monster gets better after death and starts giving ribbons for being a big meany with my lovely girls. It's time to get my reward, the ULTIMATE dressphere. :)

GlTIb.png
C6cA7.png

The Mascot Dressphere! Party, party!!! This garment is comfy and easy to wear, and we can easily see the exciment that aroses in the male members of the tripulation. The girls are sooooo happy to wear it, it's really sad we can't see their faces when they're dressed like that. Their fashion levels are above five stars right now.

IfTdr.png

Their power levels too, as we can see by all those blue numbers. I'll analize this dressphere in more depth in a later chapter. Until then, farewell.

Bladenic

Started FF6 Advance yay!! Just got Edgar and entered the cave. Need to DL the music and recoloration patches, but regardless I'm enjoying it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
By popular demand, I present to you…

vDxZP.png

(Final Fantasy VI)

I don’t have nearly as much experience with Final Fantasy VI as a lot of other GAF members do, or as much as I’d like to have (with respect to how much time I’ve had with FF4, for example). I rented it once when I was a kid, played it for a bit, and really hated it. I hated FF6 a lot. I hated the music (yes, I genuinely hated the music when I was younger, and it was probably of the biggest factors in me not playing it ever again until I was in my teens), I hated the setting, I hated the art direction, etc.

I can be a bit of a stubborn person, and I was way more stubborn when I was a kid. I resisted change. I felt like Final Fantasy VI signaled a drastic change in terms of setting, scope, and direction for the series and I didn’t want any part of it. It’s a little weird because I vaguely remember one of my cousins playing it once (I have a memory of him playing through some sequence in Narshe), and them enjoying it… which usually means that I might enjoy it. I was attracted to FF7, for example, partially because they played through it constantly. So… out of my stubbornness, I never finished FF6 when I was a kid, so I don’t really share the same nostalgic feeling that other people seem to have towards it.

I didn’t end up playing and finishing Final Fantasy VI until high school when I bought my own copy of the SNES cart. I ended up liking it, if only for scenario reasons and graphical/musical prowess. I didn’t get much out of the ability customization (I honestly feel like this aspect needs rebalancing or certain blocks in place to prevent skill homogenization… and maybe I’ll go for a 1-Esper per character run, I dunno yet) or the battle system (where the change was that you could switch characters’ menus now). The main reason why I started this playthrough was because I can’t exactly remember the proper reason as to why I don’t like the dungeon designs in this game. It didn’t necessarily have to do with only aesthetics.

So, that’s what I want to figure out. I’ve only played FF6 only maybe… 4 times? That’s not nearly as many times as I’ve played FF4, so forgive me if I get facts wrong.

Anyway, let’s begin.

I think this game is the obvious turning point as to the fact that they wanted to make Final Fantasy more cinematic. Final Fantasy IV certainly was like that before, with its fixation on narrative and fixed character jobs. But Final Fantasy VI had the advantage of time (ie: Squaresoft getting used to the Super Famicom, working with the SPC 700 and Mode 7 a little more to achieve desired more cinematic results). It’s rather interesting, though, because Sakaguchi stepped down from directing the game after most of it had been completed (though he’d written the story and directed a lot of the event scenes (before handing that job and directorship over to Kitase).

Wait, I’m getting ahead of myself.

So… FF6 is cinematic. You can tell that from the title screen alone.

Y6jHm.png
gSCVt.png
CVNGR.png

rjbmb.gif
Opening Theme (up to 1:12)

When you start up the game and leave it running for a little while, you get a little scene depicting the camera moving down, showing stormy clouds, and down to focus on a faraway town in the shadows, with only the lights from their houses visible. This ends up setting the mood of the game a little bit, and it kind of changes what the player’s first impression going into the game is going to be like.

It tells the player several things, but I’ll hold off on listing them until we get through this next bit first.

I’m not particularly fond of this sort of game design, where scenes come before gameplay. But I understand what they want to accomplish. These are technical feats on the SFC, so I completely get it. And it doesn’t really bug me much either. It’s just that when developers go overboard and make their cutscenes the centerpiece of their game design and philosophy that I take issue with it (no i’m not taking potshots about another game in the series released this decade why do you guys keep saying that in all of these playthroughs i’ve done) Though I’m one of those bozos who thinks Final Fantasy should be less cinematic (which is why I was incredibly indifferent to the Agni’s Philosophy tech demo), but I digress.

rjbmb.gif
Opening Theme (Part B) (Up until 2:21)

3EQjj.png
fCtS4.png
kjldG.png
uM2rs.png

I’ve always liked these kinds of things in video games, actually, and I sort of miss them. Yeah, we still get them now, but they generally seem to serve as credits or opening scenes rather than giving the player a general view of what the game world is supposed to be like. I remember falling deeply in love with the Illusion of Gaia one when I was little, for example. It seamlessly blended in with the title screen, let me know parts of the narrative, let me understand the world that I was about to run through when playing the game, etc. Sure, the text is sloppy, and it isn’t that well-directed, but I really liked it for some reason. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past one is really freaking impressive and I remember being hooked on watching it too.

And I liked this one a lot when I first played FF6. It generally does the same thing that the others I mentioned did, though there were two ways they could have done this. Choosing scenes that depicted what the text was referring to (The War of the Magi, for example; A Link to the Past does that in its intro about people clashing over the Golden Power), or they could have continued setting the scene for what Terra and her troops were about to do.

I think what they ended up doing (the latter option) is more cohesive, despite the scenes not necessarily always matching the text. The bit about steam engines kind of matches the Narshe portion of the scene, and the bit about enslaving matches the Empire portion. And the mistake portion completely matches up with the stupids scaling the cliff to do something stupid in Narshe. It’s fine.

Also can anyone spot the grammatical error in the Empire screen? :p

h63jL.png

Nothing’s happening except wind gusting around. I guess it’s to give some sort of gravity to the last line uttered above. Oh, yeah, I like the background here. It’s really nice.

X1EhU.png

Oh, there’re the stupids I was talking about earlier. And considering the previous line, I’m going to guess we’re going to do something completely stupid.

(This is Biggs. I can see how they got Vicks out of it; ビックス could be read like “Bicks”. And again, there isn’t really a “v” in Japanese, “Biggs” probably sounded a little dumb for those not super-familiar with Star Wars, and Vicks sounds a little more normal.) Hold on, wouldn’t that make the girl Luke Skywalker because they’re acting as our wingmen?

Aw shiet.

RGmcM.png
yyBdr.png

Say, did you know that in Final Fantasy games, Biggs is usually Wedge’s superior officer?

So if you put two and two together, you can surmise that “Espers” have something to do with magic given that they’re talking about the War of the Magi. Everything magic-related had to have been destroyed since then, but this thing being here is a little curious.

I3IAs.png

Why are they calling her a sorceress if magic’s no longer around? How curious.

BGt4O.png

Forget that noise; this means she’s gonna be in our final party, then, if she’s got mad skillz like that.

PzSb1.png
KYQb0.png

Hey man, silent protagonists can be pretty cool.

No, I’m not biased or anything.

Gsy3l.png

rjbmb.gif
Opening Theme (Part C)

Well, this is one of the most iconic scenes in RPGs in general. Watching them trudge through the snow in the foreground, with the town you saw earlier on surfacing in the background little by little. The scene direction here is really good, and the music enhances it (which is why I think most people really like the scene here).

jzQzb.png
250Fn.png

Oh, and credits surface on the horizon. This is… quite movie-like. I’m not going to go through a lot of these because, well, you all know who a lot of these guys are and I’ll probably be repeating myself from the Final Fantasy IV playthrough. Let’s save it for the post-game. :D

Ted Woolsey will be our translator during our stay. Woolsey worked on Chrono Trigger, SaGa III, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, and a game that some of us would like to forget, Shadow Madness. The term “Woolseyism” comes from his last name, and refers to script changes that aren’t very faithful to the original Japanese script (but hey man, they generally worked). Seriously, go read that script where someone retranslated Chrono Trigger exactly as the Japanese script was written and it’s really awful.

If it means anything, I like the Final Fantasy VI SNES script a lot.

So, as I was saying before, the intro tells us several things:
  • It sets the tone for the game in terms of musical use and the colours used throughout the intro (lots of dark colours, set at night, staging a reconnaissance mission in an isolated town in the north, even the snow falling assists in this.
  • You’re introduced to the main character and the main villain in the prologue screens.
  • You get to listen to a few of the musical motifs in this opening theme.
  • The entire introduction shows how cinematic this game is going to be. The credits screens, the game relying on animations over dialogue in some circumstances, etc. The game tells its story through the background/foreground art design, camera pans, character animations (and there are a lot of them), Mode 7 use, the depth of the soundtrack, etc.
  • The stormy clouds and the colours used at the beginning at least clues the player into the mood and atmosphere of the game and blending it into the small narrative of the War of the Magi. In general, scene direction is good at the beginning and it’s generally consistent as the game goes on.
  • Backgrounds and foregrounds are more detailed than ever before. Backgrounds take really good advantage of CRT blending as I went a little into depth about in the Final Fantasy Community Thread

Probably bunch of other stuff I’m missing right now, but the opening scenes tell the player a lot.

k1wX3.png

Well, we now know that Vicks and Wedge aren’t part of the new Tomb Raider development team, right?!

Let’s look at our Band of Brothers.

4f1a2.png

Oh, uh… I can’t differentiate the two, so we’re going to do this instead.

rIhwZ.png

As you can tell, front rows and back rows are in this game, in the way that FF2, FF3, and FF5 did the modifications before it. But the west wouldn’t really know that, so I would imagine that the shift from one row automatically being for the back to being able to put anyone in the back row when needed was a welcome change for people back then.

xmaGb.png
mwRU2.png

The girl has two spells available to her: Cure and Fire. They are expensive so we’re not going to use them.

NEOZC.png

I think this is cute. If you do something wrong in the menu like select something that isn’t selectable, the menu Mode 7s out.

lUOjK.png

Mysterious Girl is kinda decked out here. I expected just a weapon and a piece of clothing. MithrilKnife grants +30 ATK, the MithrilShield grants +28 Def/+18MDef/+LOL Evade. Leather Cap adds +11 Def/+7 MDef, and Leather Armour adds +28 Def/+19MDef.

I’m sure everyone knows that the Evade stat in FF6 SNES doesn’t matter, right? Briefly, the Evade Bug in FF6 makes the P.Eva stat do nothing. M.Eva would be the one that determines the characters’ rates of evading both P. and M. attacks in this version. Blind doesn’t really do anything outside of affecting Strago and thus the Goggles don’t do anything (no, seriously, the goggles… they do nothing!). So… yeah. It has a few other issues, but those are the big ones.

TBrrj.png

We’re going to get into Relics later. They’re nice things.

ksrOS.png
dzFEY.png
VogDc.png

The two goons are stronger than Mysterious Girl in almost every way except Magic Power. Hm. Well, that makes sense because she has access to a few spells and they don’t.

People complain that they don’t know what stats mean, but they’re self-explanatory in a lot of RPGs if you’ve played a lot of them. They just have different names: Vigour = Strength, Speed is self-explanatory, Magic Power is self-explanatory, Battle Power factors into the calculation with vigour to see how much damage you’ll cause, and I assume the rest of the stats are self-explanatory.

Stamina in this game refers to a lot of stuff, actually. It’s different in a lot of FF games. So in FF6, it affect stuff like your resistance to Instadeath, how much Regen’s going to affect you (like how fast it recovers HP), how much damage you take from Sap/Poison, how much you get healed from Tintinabars, etc. It’s kind of hard to max out Stamina in this game if you wanted to (so if you really wanted to do it, I’d probably keep your selected character(s) at lower levels to take advantage of Stamina bonuses that Espers give you.

The first thing you’ll probably notice when you level up and ever check the stats menu is that the only things that change whenever you level up are your HP and MP. If you didn’t know that before, ya certainly know that now! This feeds into the game’s growth/custom system, but we’re not going to talk about that now. So, if you want to take advantage of the growth bonuses that the custom system affords to the player, don’t grind a ton before you get access to that stuff. Of course, that might not affect your playstyle anyway.

And if you don’t believe me regarding stat growth, check into the next update.

W6fRL.png
zaq2W.png

We only have a dinky little pendant that we can use when we’re poor. They totally prepped for this recon mission.

78V5x.png
G6Qxy.png

We have a ton of options available to us. I might knock the battle speed back to 3 so it’ll be easier to take screens. Battle mode is always going to be set to Active because we’ve GOTTA GO FAST. We also have the chance to modify the text windows and menu in various ways…

qwaLA.png

OH GOD WHAT’S HAPPENING

T1F7M.png
NRXrm.png
LuD96.png

rjbmb.gif
Battle Theme

I’ll reveal a secret. The main battle theme is one of the biggest reasons why I hated the game’s soundtrack when I was little. I hated the backing because it sounded too rough, I think. Yeah, I was a strange kid. Anyway...

It’s no use! Lobo, Lobo, bring back Sheriff Lobo! Lobos can either be your first or second enemy in this game. Um, these get a little harder in the next sequence but you can OHKO it with a Magitek Armour blast.

Speaking of which, you’ll notice that we have a brand new command! No Attack command or anything. Mysterious Girl gets access to Magic in addition, but the Magitek command is a fairly interesting one that we’ll look at momentarily.

2ek1W.png
8gpCh.png
87xPN.png

Also note that the boxes for the Magitek Armour are kind of big and not normal character-sized so we can’t go anywhere cool.

a17M9.png
CKyQc.png
mmzsa.png

So, are we on the good side or the bad side?

Guards are boring. They have a 33% chance of inflicting crits. They’re boring.

The biggest news is that we can summon UFOs in this game to bring people back to their home planet! I’m guessing this is Pupu’s prototype. :D

The other attacks that Mysterious Girl has access to are:
  • Fire Beam: Fire elemental (60 atk pwr)
  • Ice Beam: Ice elemental (61 atk pwr)
  • Bolt Beam: Lightning elemental (62 atk pwr)
  • Heal Force: Heals People
  • Bio Blast: Poison Elemental damage to everyone (60 atk pwr; no displacement damage so it’s still strong when used in a group; also inflicts Poison and Stop)
  • X-Fer: Summons a Damn UFO (has a chance of failure with regards to Instant Death)
  • Confuser: Confuses all enemies
  • TekMissile: Ignores Defense; non-elemental damage; can inflict Sap

Hua5i.png
Oiap7.png
3a7oK.png

I just took this to show you what Bolt Blast and Ice Blast look like.

3PKYu.png
Io07y.png

Guys, I hate mowing down enemies like this. This is designed to show you how inferior everything is to the Empire’s technology, and what they can do with powerful weapons in their hands, but man I dislike it when I’m super-strong and the game presents little challenge to me.

n3zTs.png
W5cyE.png
O1dQF.png
dvD2O.png

Here’s something new. This game introduces the Pincer Attack, something used in this game, and in Final Fantasy VII (and, like, one battle in FFX). Yeah, so in a way, you kind of see that FF6 was building up to FF7, and you end up seeing a lot of callbacks to FF6 in FF7. It’s interesting. Pincer Attacks will start the surprised party at 0 ATB. And anyone that’s attacked from behind will take more damage. And you can use group attacks on one side like I did.

There’s a glitch associated with this. So rows are supposed to be unavailable for this, but if you select Row when the enemy catches you in its own pincer attack, it’ll make the party turn around and switches everyone to the back row (because everyone’s supposed to be in the “front row”). What does this mean? If you want to physically attack, your attacks are weakened, so bear that in mind.

9QLzm.png
2KKLw.png
5pLCa.png

So Bio Blast is kind of broken in this part.

Um4zq.png

Yeah, maybe the only mine shaft we have access to.

Game, I’m not a stupid.

(continued in next post)

Next Post: Lightning-Absorbing Snails!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Previously, I ran into GAF’s character limit and I had to split the posts up. We also talked a lot about the game’s introductory scene, as it was the most obvious indicator that Final Fantasy was becoming more and more cinematic.

8E87P.png
yX7gu.png

rjbmb.gif
The Mines of Narshe

(I love this BGM. I have no idea why I didn’t like it when I was a kid, but as a teenager and now as an adult, I love the percussion.)

Um, something else I forgot to show. This is the magic menu. I have no idea what these other things are, but it’s interesting that they just put everything in right off the bat even though we don’t have access to it. I kinda liked in FF4 that they came up as a surprise for the player who decided to explore the characters’ stats in the menus.

fcZKU.png

Whatever you do, don’t use Bio Blast on these. Hit them with fire instead.

C2BGT.png
ey4VG.png

We’ve played FF games before. I don’t think we need to know what a Save Point is, yes?

MHVZZ.png

Again, we can’t go everywhere we want because we’re too effing big. Technology is a hindrance to success, folks!

e7smO.png
T5Y6C.png
qDGPT.png

You see, if we were the good guys, we’d probably go around, get out of our sweet Magitek Suits and look for the lever so we wouldn’t properly destroy everything. But we’re obviously the bad dudes and we’re bad enough to save the President, so we’re bad enough to BUST THROUGH THINGS.

Because using Magitek Magic Beams is for suckers. (Seriously, you’re not going to use the freaking machine you’re equipped with?! We can fire missiles.)

jSUym.png
sju6I.png
MQt2W.png

rjbmb.gif
The Decisive Battle

Seriously, how the crap did I hate this game’s soundtrack when I was little? Did all the boy band music back then just rot my brain or something?

So Whelk’s a cool name. That’s not his name, and any of you who played the GBA version will know that his name is Ymir (ユミール), a primeval being in Norse mythology borne from venom dripping from an icy river. Midgard came from his eyebrows.

This is a damn snail, Squaresoft. wtf were you people doing.

aUtkE.png
dCueP.png

“Attack when its tail’s up!”
Haha, well, I like this exchange. It’s different from the GBA script where it seems like they didn’t know about it in advance. Here it totally seems that they’re going in for a recon mission. They trained up and everything. They studied Narshe’s defense systems and they want to get through it without much trouble. I like it.

I619b.png
Bhq5E.png

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Eats Lightning, huh? Guys, I have an idea as to how to tackle the FF13 games.

eUpWy.png
h4bnk.png

You can imagine that I totally recognized what FF7’s first boss fight was playfully referring to. I sort of wish this became a recurring thing in FFs since FF6 because it would have been a very cute callback.

YC2Fm.png
T4jSD.png
BnB7P.png

Yeah, whatever. We’re going to hit it anyway. If we hit it, it’ll hit us with Mega Volt. Mega Volt can either hit the entire party with lightning damage, or it will hit one person.

b79mD.png
Zxpxb.png

If you’re too slow in terms of your timing, Whelk will retreat into its shell. So if you’ve already queued up an attack, it’ll hit the shell and either one of your party members (or your whole party) will be hit with Mega Volt. That’s something you don’t want so don’t haphazardly hold down the confirm button. Generally, this will happen every 10 seconds.

If you want to beat up the Shell, be my guest (because it can only use Mega Volt 6 times in this battle, so if you hit it enough, you’ll be home free). It has 50K HP and all you get is a Tincture for it. You can theoretically kill both parts at the same time to get both items from the battle, but I don’t feel like investing that much time in it.

3sJIf.png

It’s best to hit Whelk with Ice or Fire beams with the other guys.

Whelk also casts Slow on people.

h6ZK4.png
lIEvs.png

The best attack to use in this case is TekMissile. It’s going to hit for 450+ HP.

8TozS.png
qD3IB.png

I just like how bosses die in this game. A few flashes like something shorting out, and then the boss turns orange like it ate a ton of carrots.

MhanH.png
TiBiO.png

rjbmb.gif
Another World of Beasts

The Esper doesn’t seem like it’s a morning person. I can empathize. I hate mornings, and I’m a bit of a jerk in the morning.

8Lk7I.png

Oh yeah, this doesn’t look frightening in the slightest.

3aiMD.png
wb0yG.png

Who’s he talking to? I don’t think this line made a lot of sense unless it’s being spoken to the Mysterious Girl (is it? I can’t tell). The GBA translation equivalent to “this shit is freaky” makes more sense within context.

And the Mysterious Girl just broke formation. She’s going to get a little talking-to tomorrow morning. She’s using the “…” attack, and it’s something she’s going to use a lot during the game.

CaBA5.png

It’s just filling our dark souls with liiiIIIIiiiiiight.

x5W96.png

Wedge disappears into the void to never be seen again.

Y6JSb.png

Vicks follows him into darkness.

The developers like to joke that they ended up showing up in Chrono Trigger because of this.

o2YQf.png
PMF17.png
kFtJ0.png

WELP. That was a fun run. Final Fantasy VI is over, I guess! That was a pretty short game. I want my money back.

aI8qr.png

rjbmb.gif
Awakening

Oh, there’s more?

I still think we’re dead, you guys.

Io8Kq.png

This isn’t creepy at all.

Io8Kq.png

…

Io8Kq.png

So, do guys like spending their spare time staring at dead girls in this game?

Io8Kq.png

GAF HELP.

Io8Kq.png

He won’t do anything unless you get out of bed. It’s like a playable dialogue scene, you see. They give you a little bit of control to make it more interactive. So, I’d say it’s kind of like some of the cutscenes in FF8 where your characters can still move around but shit’s happening around you? But not exactly that because you aren’t directing the pace of the scene, though. Meh.

GfYfz.png

The creepy guy is still staring at us so let’s just get the heck out of here.

hrwWu.png
avPwj.png

He locked us in here with him. oh god are there windows in here help

xA7mY.png

The Mysterious Girl is much smarter than FF4’s Batman because she doesn’t put her hands in fireplaces. This is evidenced by the lack of an “OUCH!” text box.

UYwDV.png

Protip: Every clock gives you a free Elixir. Check the clocks in your house.

DHMD8.png

Oh jeez, don’t ask him that. Ask him why he locked the doors!

CThbB.png
6sba5.png
T41Go.png
cgVO7.png

The Mysterious Girl does this a lot. Put a voice to her and she’ll sound a lot like she did in Dissidia. So when people say that they didn’t expect her to act or speak like she did in Dissidia probably weren’t paying attention to either the SNES or GBA scripts. Mysterious Girl isn’t a character I’m very fond of at all.

But hey, good use of Mode 7, much like FF4’s use.

eygKF.png
01nlD.png
KErrL.png

Damn that technology. How do slave crowns even work? Is it magical? Does it rob you of reacting to stimuli? What? Is it scientific in nature?

Dpw0g.png

Like I said, the Mysterious Girl does this a-effing-lot. Apparently it’s endearing or something. I dunno.

UOx6O.png
IFXaL.png

What do you think, GAF? Keep the name? Nothing unflattering if you have to suggest anything. I sort of don’t want to change her name, but…

Next Time: Dancin' Mogs and Thieving Dawgs

Also the next entry won’t be this long. I just wanted to make a few points about the opening. I think it’s incredibly strong.

Heropon

FFVI, I liked it when I was a kid, but for some reason it was the last available mainline FF that I completed. It was just after I completed III and XII, so five years ago. 2007 was such a great year for my gaming memories, and not only for that.

Aeana

So here we are in 2013, and I managed to complete about half of the games I set out to play, so I consider that a pretty big failure. In the past, I've easily been able to get through all of the FF games in a row, as recently as 2009 I believe. It just didn't happen this time. There's lots of reasons, like marriage and motherhood, but I'm going to blame FF4 for being incredibly boring and killing my momentum. I got through 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8. I played 4 off and on for months, and finally managed to finish it a couple of months back, and then I finished FF8 last month. I really wanted to get to 7 and do my traditional commentated run that I've done here on GAF a couple of times before, but it didn't happen. Fortunately, lots of people had great commentary in this thread, so I think the thread has definitely been a success. Even though I've been quiet, I've been reading along when I get a moment, and it's all been great.

Bladenic

FFVI, I liked it when I was a kid, but for some reason it was the last available mainline FF that I completed. It was just after I completed III and XII, so five years ago. 2007 was such a great year for my gaming memories, and not only for that.

This is how it's for me.

Anyway, got the first set of Espers yay! 5:40 in.

CorvoSol

So here we are in 2013, and I managed to complete about half of the games I set out to play, so I consider that a pretty big failure. In the past, I've easily been able to get through all of the FF games in a row, as recently as 2009 I believe. It just didn't happen this time. There's lots of reasons, like marriage and motherhood, but I'm going to blame FF4 for being incredibly boring and killing my momentum. I got through 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8. I played 4 off and on for months, and finally managed to finish it a couple of months back, and then I finished FF8 last month. I really wanted to get to 7 and do my traditional commentated run that I've done here on GAF a couple of times before, but it didn't happen. Fortunately, lots of people had great commentary in this thread, so I think the thread has definitely been a success. Even though I've been quiet, I've been reading along when I get a moment, and it's all been great.

Can't we keep going? I'm gonna keep going. TURN IT INTO A TWO YEAR DEAL.

FF4TAY Finished Ceodore's Tale and I'm worried there are no level caps in this version, meaning I may be kinda OP when I reach the endgame. Which is okay, because I'm totally doing that Giant of Babil Three Party Death Match. Ceodore isn't half the protagonist Terra was (and I disagree that Terra was not a cool protagonist.), nor even the kind his dad was, but he doesn't suck, either. Ceodore's just sort of neutral. In some ways I feel almost as if Rydia is the protagonist. Probably because on my Wii playthrough I spent a literal eternity in her tale.

FFD So Elgo the Red Mage is
dead
because I had to fight an incredibly lame third boss fight in a row against the Fire fiend. I've just gotten 5 JP and seen the HAWT Dragoon chick. JP in FF Dimensions allows you to raise the Max Job Level of a job for 1 character. So use it wisely, because I don't know if you can eventually raise the max level of every job to max for every character. I dunno if you get that much JP. I still don't know why this game catches flak from people. It's a really good game for what it is. It's easy to pick up and put down whenever, you level up and job level up at a decent pace, the battles don't last overly long but can still be somewhat challenging, and the graphics are acceptable. It's really not that bad of a game.

FF7 Got my Gold Chocobo in exactly 1 hour thanks to an amazing RNG I found on GameFAQs, got all the super busted Materia, Cloud is a killing machine, and I literally killed Diamond Weapon in 1 hit. 1 HIT. Of Knights of the Round. Anyway, I'm assuming we're hurtling toward Disc 3 now, which is when I'll stop and make sure everyone has their ultimate weapon and level limit breaks. Still unsure about Master Materia, though. Not unless I find a fight that gives me upwards of 10k AP a fight.

Top Bottom