• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Labadal

Damn, I played two FF games and only completed one. I had too many games on my plate so I didn't get enough time to get into this even if my intention was to play most of the games.

Ultratech

Last time on FFIII, our hero Zandig fell in a hole and got attacked by Goblins and a giant floating turtle.

And a giant Crystal was speaking to his mind, telling him to look for more people like himself.

Then everything went white...

pic_0042znp1z.png
pic_0043j9on6.png

Zandig is teleported outside and apparently doesn't remember much of what the Crystal told him. -_-

pic_004409pfi.png
pic_0045rtpr2.png

**The Eternal Wind (World Map Theme)
**Hometown of Ur

We regain control and head towards the nearest town of Ur, Zandig's hometown.

pic_00468eqst.png
pic_00470lpnq.png

Some ominous foreshadowing there...the whole town of Kazus has apparently been cursed and turned into ghosts!

Zandig decides to go home and talk to his dad, Topapa.

pic_0048s8qgi.png
pic_0049fmqco.png

Seems Topapa knows what the hell was up with the Crystal and why Zandig was chosen.

pic_0050k4q7k.png
pic_0051kjqz2.png

pic_00520jrz0.png
pic_0053vxpa2.png

pic_0054mdq65.png

Uh...ok. Zandig learns he was an orphan and is pretty much sent on his way.

Funny how those things work, huh?

pic_0055ffqsz.png
pic_0056c3poj.png

"Thanks Mom!"

pic_0058t9oh1.png

Good to know. Wish I could revive people using just wellspring water....

pic_0059jsqhu.png
pic_0060z9q3l.png

No idea why somebody would put Potions in a well. Some weird people in Ur...

pic_0061bmppe.png
pic_0063n0rn8.png

We'll get to our "friends" later. Zandig's gonna go grab some stuff out of the storehouse north of town, but for some reason, Goblins, BEES, and Werewolves have taken residence in the path leading there.

Why the townspeople don't kill them off, I haven't any idea. I wonder if some of the Werewolves are townspeople.

pic_0065x4o9b.png

Some hidden Potions and stuff outside the storehouse. Inside as well.

pic_00660ur9f.png
pic_0067d8qbi.png

pic_0068ajorv.png
pic_0069fqo9i.png

pic_007056rgl.png
pic_0071npp8r.png

This dude explains about hidden passages and switches. Not surprisingly, there's quite a few of these scattered throughout the game.

Some are obvious to point out (cracked walls, discoloration, etc.), while others are more cleverly hidden.

Zooming in with the camera will reveal sparkles that indicate invisible items or switches.

There's quite a few hidden items in towns that can be quite useful.

pic_0072inrw4.png
pic_0073b8ou7.png

Hitting the candle opens up the wall and leads us to a treasure trove of items upstairs including more weapons and Cure magic.

pic_0074mdqol.png

Magic operates off of a Spell Charge system, giving you X uses of Magic per Magic Level ala FFI.

Right now, Zandig can use Cure a few (4~5) times before he runs out of Level 1 Spell Charges.

Leveling up increases the amount of Spell Charges per Magic Level.

Something neat to know is that Magic Spells are completely reusable in this game. So if you want to unlearn a spell, it'll change back into an item and you can teach it to somebody else.

I'll get into more detail about Magic when I go over some mechanics in a future update.

pic_0075v3ot0.png
pic_0076gxp0u.png

Zandig goes to see what the commotion is. A dude with a unique model is getting harassed about Ghosts.

pic_00774upiw.png
pic_0078g5off.png

Yeah...Arc is a crappy name. I'm gonna name him Peter.

My basis on this was supposed to be a joke off Peter Criss from KISS, since NOBODY wants to be Peter Criss; not even Peter Criss. And Peter here is just as useless.

A fitting name, eh? (Also, I messed up and there's a space in his name. I was also too lazy to go back and fix it.)

pic_0079pnq4n.png
pic_0080o7pao.png

"That's right! Run you cowards!"

pic_0081e2qo7.png

Told ya Peter was useless. That coward.

pic_00830pozi.png
pic_0082vdpx3.png

So Peter runs off to investigate the ghosts in Kazus. Or so I assume.

Next Time: GHOSTS!

(I promise these future updates won't be near as long; the early game stuff took quite a few pics.)

Toth

I just finished FFXII: IZJS yesterday and went with the Revenant Wings job for my characters:

Vaan: Hunter
Penelo: Red Mage (should have gone White mage but I wanted a little variety)
Balthier: Machinist
Fran: Archer
Basch: Knight
Ashe: Time Mage

It was a blast to play through and the job setups worked very well. However, I found the last boss to be just murder for no reason. I was around 43 for everyone and steamrolled through both of V;s two form. The Undying though was brutal. His Gigaflare ko'd my characters and when he had his shield up, he was range attacking my characters for 1400+ each, with no buffs on him.

I still feel the game has many issues but the International version does a great job fixing some of them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's what FF3 PSP looks like?! That looks better than the DS version. And Zandig > crappy Luneth.

Schala, name her Tina just to piss everyone off.
I might, actually. We'll see. I'd like to talk about the US/JP name change a little bit because it works well.

So here we are in 2013, and I managed to complete about half of the games I set out to play, so I consider that a pretty big failure. In the past, I've easily been able to get through all of the FF games in a row, as recently as 2009 I believe. It just didn't happen this time. There's lots of reasons, like marriage and motherhood, but I'm going to blame FF4 for being incredibly boring and killing my momentum. I got through 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8. I played 4 off and on for months, and finally managed to finish it a couple of months back, and then I finished FF8 last month. I really wanted to get to 7 and do my traditional commentated run that I've done here on GAF a couple of times before, but it didn't happen. Fortunately, lots of people had great commentary in this thread, so I think the thread has definitely been a success. Even though I've been quiet, I've been reading along when I get a moment, and it's all been great.
Ehhh? Wow, congratulations! I hope you're getting some sleep. D:

Well, if you ever have time, you could continue on with your FF7 playthrough if you feel like you can. I'd like to see this thread last for a little while longer.

When I was a kid I used to name her Rydia.
Undeserving.

CorvoSol

FF4 TAY So I'm almost done with Rydia's Tale now. The reason I've blown through it is because this time special code fairies have permitted me to avoid having to grind FOREVER to meet the RNG requirements to get Rydia's summons. All I need now is the Green Tail and Mythril parts and I can move on.

FF7 So I finished Disc 2 and wow, Hojo is like, exactly like those stereotypical internet athiests you meet on GameFAQs. He's all "SCIENCE IS SO GREAT AND I CANNOT UNDERSTAND THINGS THAT AREN'T SCIENCE AND HEY CLOUD I GUESS MAYBE YOU COULD BE A SCIENTIST BECAUSE YOU'RE ALMOST NOT WORTHLESS." He was also a lame boss fight.

I have to stop and say that I suppose to me Hojo is that character I can't stand. He's supposed to fill the evil scientist role we see in guys like Dr. Lugae, except Hojo is proven, at every last turn, to be a no-holds barred absolute moron who only has his job because he murdered Gast and stole all the credit for all his stuff. Nothing Hojo does is ethical, scientific, or even smart. HE INJECTED HIMSELF WITH JENOVA CELLS.

If not for the existence of Genesis Rhapsodos, Professor Hojo would be the worst character in FF7.

CorvoSol

But Genesis doesn't appear in FF7... fortunately. Have I said how I hate that retcon man? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Do you hate him? With all the fury of a thousand overly protective mothers? Because that is the unending hatred I feel for him. There is no worse single* character in the entire Final Fantasy franchise. He's THE WORST.

The worst collective character in Final Fantasy is Team NORA. Every time they're on screen, a man gets punched in the balls.

Heropon

Do you hate him? With all the fury of a thousand overly protective mothers? Because that is the unending hatred I feel for him. There is no worse single* character in the entire Final Fantasy franchise. He's THE WORST.

The worst collective character in Final Fantasy is Team NORA. Every time they're on screen, a man gets punched in the balls.

Hello, I'm Genesis and I'm so important that there were 0 mentions in the original FF7 about me. Blah, blah, blah, gift of the goddess, blah, blah, blah, LOVELESS, LOVELESS, LOVELESS.

About NORA (I don't know if this will considered spoilers about XIII-2, so I'll be cautious)
I hope they aren't swallowed by any kind of paradox and end in LR. They must remain dead and buried.

CorvoSol

Hello, I'm Genesis and I'm so important that there were 0 mentions in the original FF7 about me. Blah, blah, blah, gift of the goddess, blah, blah, blah, LOVELESS, LOVELESS, LOVELESS.

About NORA (I don't know if this will considered spoilers about XIII-2, so I'll be cautious)
I hope they aren't swallowed by any kind of paradox and end in LR. They must remain dead and buried.

OH MAN I hope that's true except the whole Time is Borked thing so now anyone from ever can be around.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Vincent = Mr. Freeze (experiment gone wrong, love interest frozen in ice)
Reeve = Batman (is Cait Sith a mask Reeve wears or is Reeve a mask Cait Sith wears?)

ibyOySWlrCFNNU.jpg

Ahh the wasteland outside of Midgar. The area of Zack's final stand. Where the battle against Diamond WEAPON occured. And the Buster Sword's resting place. What epic action'll unfold here this time?

ilKTeLFdZGVJa.jpg
ibwrODNTH0oDRF.jpg

Reeve starts off by filling in blanks. Deepground are super soldiers (even more super than SOLDIER?) President Shinra had ordered to be developed and the Tsviets are an elite unit of 'em. Very few people knew of their existence besides the dead president, Heidegger, Scarlet, and Hojo. Even Rufus may not have been informed of 'em! On another subject, it seems many people have disappeared from Junon lately.

iRn75mPgNmCn9.jpg
iHcrsK0FWmHPp.jpg

The media claimed 20 to 30 people poofed but in actuality it was 1200! GG Reeve. Manipulating the media is such a Shinra thing to do. Despite the inaccurate reporting this has left the people of Edge... on edge (ugghhh)! During the night you can apparently hear screams coming from Midgar. Creepy.

Part 5: "dogs = evil"

iVXMyu5o9QmdB.jpg
irIADlfw91Ywc.jpg

The chatters interupted by a broadcast even more disturbing! This nutty dude tangled up in stuff claims the worlds gotta be cleansed. Son. I can already tell you are no Sephiroth. He may in fact be nuttier! Saying that people will be burned, strangled, cut, crushed, impaled, beaten... in other words exterminated. Without mercy. This message leaves our guys pretty much speechless!

ibpVBejlcTKhw1.jpg
ibjzCia2zzPet3.jpg

Before long the truck they're one comes under attack from a pack of Guard Hounds! "I'll take care of your pet problem. Just keep driving." Good on Vincent to volunteer his assistance! Reeve is then like 'it's dangerous to go alone. take this.' and I'm like no way... this isn't what I think its going to be, right?! Yup! It's a rail shooter segment!

ib2h678tnUq0Wc.jpg
iPmY3187tdzb7.jpg

It was short an not to sweet cause using the right stick to aim still turns my mind to mush. Up on top of the truck is some even shorter melee action with those damn dogs jumping in at ya! Taking care of them leads to alil off-road action...

ibuMoyhV8nPPqY.jpg
ig4MDNTs7PQ07.jpg

With their transportation outta action Vincent's asked to go on ahead and help the WRO liberate Edge. But not before dicking around trying to and failing to jump on top of the vehicle >.<; Then we encounter the king of all Guard Hounds! This Crimson Hound knocks Vincent flat on his ass a bunch times, I couldn't even tell how or why it was happening! Guess it doesn't much matter cause that hound & its pack get defeated in the end.

i46dDTw755CBU.jpg
iHgsVAZB3ElWH.jpg

The Crimson Hound got up for a final surprise attack which went nowhere cause Vincent shot it in the face. Then outta the blue a hoverbiker gang decides to harass him!

i3yHWQpt6GjnJ.jpg
iwtoskBSWQjW.jpg

Stand in one place firing wildly as they do little more than run circles around you doesn't seem like a intelligent strategy but it worked and nets us another cool guy-back-explosion scene!

irCDFV2oJWtkt.jpg
iXkbnRQk518tB.jpg

Wow that was a super short chapter! And what do they mean 75% of mako collected?! I ran around all over the place searching for stuff! Grr! I'ma have ta increase my searchiness! And 27/70 hounds? Sweet mother of Segac did I flunk that exam or what x_x?

iuL7KThSnlcTQ.jpg

w/e. We made it to Edge which is strange for me. When watching the movie I kinda wished it were in a game so I could explore it an stuff. Do I chalk this up to intuition or dumb luck?

CorvoSol

Reeve is one good looking guy. Why couldn't I ditch the ridiculous stuffed animal and play as that sharp fellow instead?

FF4TAY Finished Rydia's tale with the Green Tail and Dolls in tow. Now I just need to run through her Challenge Dungeon a few times for the Sprint Ring and I'm good.

FF7 Been fighting Ultimate Weapon. He's a dork. Also, Quadra Magic Materia, Y U NO WORK WITH KOTR? Oh, and the Battle Arena is bull. And my Chocobo is a disobedient sack of feathers. And I stumbled into an ancient forest.

FFD Been building up classes because reasons. Allegedly the game gives you 69 JP between both parties, which somehow comes out to enough for every PC to master 4 classes. So I have to choose wisely, because otherwise you gotta do some tedious stuff for JP.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Aww my Advent Children watch-through didn't make it into Jucksalbe's super list! I guess not-games don't count! Still would like ta read a watch-through of FF Unlimited~

I tried to play this game when I was little as FF3 on SNES & I tried to play it when I was abit bigger as FFVI on GBA an didn't like it either time. This pic right here is pretty much the best part of that game for me. Mode 7 never ceases to not be cool!

Can't we keep going? I'm gonna keep going. TURN IT INTO A TWO YEAR DEAL.
She's gonna lock the thread! Hurry finish what you can!!

But Genesis doesn't appear in FF7... fortunately. Have I said how I hate that retcon man? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
How mad? So mad. lol. I feel like the odd one out for not minding him!

Reeve is one good looking guy. Why couldn't I ditch the ridiculous stuffed animal and play as that sharp fellow instead?
Ya he is pretty cute odd taste in outfit aside. But Cait Sith is pretty loveable to.

FF7 Been fighting Ultimate Weapon. He's a dork. Also, Quadra Magic Materia, Y U NO WORK WITH KOTR? Oh, and the Battle Arena is bull. And my Chocobo is a disobedient sack of feathers. And I stumbled into an ancient forest.
Ultimate WEAPON and that ancient forest are huges pains in my butt no matter how many times I've done 'em. And don't ya like leaving all your BP at the arena door when you leave it? >_< I do like the Battle Arena itself however. It's a gamble but a fun one an there's a buncha very worthwhile prizes for it!

CorvoSol

So because the GAF plays thread is now dead, I'll be continuing my run through the series in this thread. I hope that does not offend anyone.

Final Fantasy IV
Slew the Brachioraidos. It was ridiculously hard until Kain's Abel's Lance randomly cast Tornado, causing Brachioraidos to kill itself automatically. Which was hilarious and good.
Final Fantasy IV TAY So I've been doing Rydia's challenge dungeon, and I much prefer the PSP way: that is, far fewer of the BS "YOU GOT A LAME ASS TREASURE" rewards at the end. I'm just trying to get the Sprint Ring and I'll move on to Yang's Tale.

Final Fantasy V: Legend of the Crystals (Episode 1) Kinda interesting to learn that Bartz 1) Did not marry Lenna, since the Klauser and Tycoon lines are distinct, 2)Did have children, who had blue hair (Faris anyone?), and 3) hear it pronounced Batz, Exodees, and see a featherless chocobo. This thing is a little weird, but I actually kind of feel like it's an adequate sequel to FFV in tone, if not content. As in, Pretz and Linaly's hijinks feel much like the goofy, off-kilter antics of Bartz and Lenna, and I dunno, it just feels FFV to me, even if it isn't great content and the idea of making it an anime instead of a game sucks. It reminds me of old Miyazaki movies, especially the lengthy upskirts on little girls.

Final Fantasy VII Slew Ultimate Weapon at long last. Not really sure what else there is to do on disc 3. I guess I should prepare to slay Emerald and Ruby, and I should track down all the Ultimate Weapons and Level 4 Limit Breaks, but I dunno if there's any reason to bother going after Master Materia. I mean, I have some mastered Materia, but full sets? Hmmmm.

Final Fantasy Dimensions Finally called it a day and decided to just march on with the game. Still haven't Lvl 3'd every class, but yeah. Currently have Sol and Aegis as Black Mages, and Sarah and Dusk are Knights. Almost out of the local cave and into DUN DUN DUN DEIST, THE DRAGON KINGDOM.

Final Fantasy Adventure Even though I think that Sword of Mana is a competent and good remake, in many ways it is very different from FFA. They share the same basic plot, and the quest is laid out in much the same way, but events transpire differently in SwoM than in FFA. In SwoM, Willy lives, Dark Lord is related to
Medusa
the characters of Isabella and Gourmand are introduced to tie in to SD3, Hasim is nowhere to be found, and most upsettingly, the Roboco (Robotic Chocobo) is removed. For that reason, and because I legitimately love FFA, I'm playing through it again.

I'm sticking this here, because I believe in this thread!
Because my life goal is to see a Jucksalbe update with the entire FF series bearing my name

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That certainly is a silly reason!

And like I said in the FF community thread:

I've been meaning to post the next part of FF6 but I'm just too busy right now.

Plus... I think I needed a longer break from writing up LP posts. They do take up quite a chunk of time and coming off of Soundtrack of the Year and Game of the Year, I am tired. :lol

With that said, I have the second part halfway done. I worked on it a little bit last Monday. It's not going to be long and cuts off right before Figaro Castle.

It's kind of weird doing this playthrough and not knowing the game like the back of my hand to explain it to others. I have to keep going back to reading some of the notes I made about the game because I haven't played it a lot.

Contrast that with the likes of FF1, FF4, FF5, Mystic Quest, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10-2, and FF13 where I know the games pretty well (like, FF13 isn't that difficult to figure out, so that's why it's there), I do feel a bit like a fish out of water.

CorvoSol

See its funny, because 1,4,5,6 and Tactics are the ones I know well. 7,8, and 9 are full of stuff I constantly miss because I just don't remember them that well/haven't played them a million times/are legitimately bursting with content.

And wanting to have a Jucksalbe update post with my name under every game is totally a legit reason.

Xux

Final Fantasy XII

Ooh, a Ninja Sword! Let's check that out. Oh wait, there are swarms of undead next zone from the shop that absorb the element attached to all of the Ninja Swords. Gosh darnit. Would've made more sense to put them in Nalbina before heading to Arcades.

And who balanced these characters? Six characters, six stats to give them, and still Fran manages to be mediocre at everything. How is a viera worse at magicks than fucking Penelo? I like Penelo but characters getting randomly shafted annoys me.

I wish you saw more of a piece of equipment's stats on shop menu, too, since each seems similar within their tier but there's, like, four different kinds of sets that turn out to have different stats when you go to equip them. It's obvious that heavier armor will have more defense than the magic stuff but it just gets too annoying when dealing with armor picked up from chests or hunts and having to juggle licenses and all that and the awkwardly organized shop menus.

I do really enjoy this game after picking it up again after failing to launch on an FFXIII session. Maybe I'll finish it this time, lol.

Heropon

Knives can be pretty good in the midgame thanks to their attack speed and combo multiplier, I usually give Balthier a knife so he can slice all those monsters and it's pretty effective. It's pretty sad how the strongest one is hidden as a stupid random drop.

But yeah, once I reach Archades, I equip eveyone with longswords until the Zodiac Spear and Masamune appear.

I'm currently playing two Final Fantasies. Final Fantasy V on GBA and Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Final Fantasy V is pretty cool. A shame it was overlooked for US release back in the day. ExDeath is a surprisingly intimidating villain. If I have one complaint, it is the fact that you're so limited with regards to equipping abilities. Kind of makes experimenting with jobs pointless since you're so restricted.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is alright. I think the gameplay is vastly improved over the first XIII. No more hallway bullshit. However, I don't like the story as much. The paradox stuff is kind of weird. I also don't think that Serah is that good of a lead and Noel is pretty boring. I also wish you had party members instead of monsters but whatever.

My personal favorite FF is XII, a game that is criminally underrated. Yes, it has its flaws, but its strengths make up for it.

Final Fantasy Adventure Even though I think that Sword of Mana is a competent and good remake, in many ways it is very different from FFA. They share the same basic plot, and the quest is laid out in much the same way, but events transpire differently in SwoM than in FFA. In SwoM, Willy lives, Dark Lord is related to
Medusa
the characters of Isabella and Gourmand are introduced to tie in to SD3, Hasim is nowhere to be found, and most upsettingly, the Roboco (Robotic Chocobo) is removed. For that reason, and because I legitimately love FFA, I'm playing through it again.

Curiously, they kept all the FF references in the FFA mobile remake (which was released after SwoM):

w07KPCT.jpg
z2Kekp3.jpg
TWAfjRj.jpg

Heropon

In the last chapter, our girls finally got the ultimate dressphere after destroying the super boss that sent them to their graves in another timeline. Now it's time to visit the first part of the last dungeon to get another garment grid.

7zMev.png
Final Fantasy IV - Lunar Whale

nj75O.png
ZqE3d.png

This game likes its options and allows the girls to go to the definitely final dungeon through five places. The Calm Lands option must be unlocked by defeating Yojimbo in chapter 3, so it's another lovely missable. I don't like missables and this game is full of them, I remember how the first guide I bought was for this game.
I had a guide for the first part of Tomb Raider III, but the magazine that contained it came with another one that my father bought.
Brother doesn't know anymore how the Gullwings are called and does strange gestures. He's pretty crazy, but that's why we love him.

JXQlR.png
bNP4V.png

Shinra wants to leave the group after this mission to achieve his dreams as a crazy scientician. The real plan was confessing that to touch Yuna. That's why this boy is said to be a wiz kid, huh?

gOxa9.png
tnk3A.png

The men do a dance to encourage our girls to risk their lives. These guys are the anti-Cecils; they don't care about their manliness and throw the girls into lots of risky situations only to get those uninteresting balls and fame. Luckily, Spira's population knows who does the real work in the organization and the girls get all the real goodies. YRP aren't nervous about falling through a hole in mere minutes and do another strange pose to thank the men for their "support".

4QIOi.png

Allez, hop!

GAME OVER, YOU DIED

That's what you get by not using rope like sensible people would do. Sigh, another Final Fantasy where the characters die before the ending of the game: FFIV, FFVIII, FFIX and in FFX Tidus wasn't even "alive" in the first place... People would throw lots of money to make Lightning and Vaan join the list, but they're out of luck... for now.

zGFiS.png
IJsSt.png

7zMev.png
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Metroid) - Brinstar Depths

The death isn't really the worst thing that can happen in this game's world. The last time that our girls died like lemmings they appeared in Bevelle and now they are even closer to their destiny. This road leads to the Farplane Abyss, where Nooj, Gippal and the evil ghost Shuyin are waiting the Gullwings so the destiny of Spira can be decided. Maybe it would be wiser to keep them waiting so they don't activate any massive destruction robots ... Yes, that would be smart, and that's the reason our girls won't do it. They only wanna have fun.

zYUzx.png

This place is full of dark recolors of old monsters. That must mean that they are dangerous, but they are blinded by the costumes of my group and die. I haven't done all those sidequests for nothing!

XQzVf.png
rScQl.png

7zMev.png
Star Ocean 3 - The Incarnation of Devil

Remember how the Macalania Temple sank and was inaccesible? Well, Shiva wanted to kill the party anyways and has managed to reach this place to kill them. I usually do all the optional stuff before trying to get here, so I don't really know much of this boss battle because it ends being really easy. She must be weak to fire, right? Of course, the group can kill her easily thanks to their impressive powers.

M3D2M.png
pIOi1.png

7zMev.png
Pokémon Black/White - Trainer Battle Theme

After Shiva bites the dust, more troublemakers appear. They're the Magus Sisters and they want to do a 3vs3 battle. They're bug/flying types so they must be weak to the basic elemental attacks!!! Nope, but they know some interesting attacks like Pin Missile, Water Spout and Unidentified Fire Attack 4. As the bosses should know by now, Yuna, Rikku and Paine's power is overwhelming and they die pretty fast.

NuSpE.png
YExOI.png

7zMev.png
Mother 3 - Strong One

The last challenger is Anima, Seymour's mother. It's curious how all these aeons are female. This big monstrosity should step aside if she doesn't want to be killed like her son.

RCcLm.png

GASP, I'm gonna die!!!!!!1!1!! (again)

DAZAe.png
29ohS.png

2019 per attack! That's overkill... At a second glance I see that the numbers are 20 and 19 and I laugh at this monster's special attack. Without noticeable wounds after that, the girls were able to destroy Yuna's former aeon and kill her dignity. Doing that grants another garment grid.

7n79S.png

Tidus' former agent wants to apologize Yuna for attacking her and explains the situation: They wanted to stop Shuyin, but it used his craziness-inducing powers to transform them into evil blood-thirsty monsters. You're forgiven kid, but you must revive Yuna's boyfriend now. Unfortunately he doesn't listen and disappears into the fog. Time to move on then and go to the next area.

ageX0.png
NFTsi.png

This place is where Yuna fell the first time. If she and the others would had had a more accurate landing like that time, I shouldn't had to go through the last dungeon and wipe out my former aeon friends. Leblanc, Ormi and Logos are masters of blasting off and landing and they have reached this place before my group has, but they have stopped there because Nooj said so.

The warp in the first screenshot leads to the real final dungeon. I can hear the call of duty, but instead of going forward I use one of those precious spheres and return to the airship.

IU84v.png
mlVQW.png

7zMev.png
Final Fantasy VII - Opening, Bombing Mission

In the airship, there's an interesting cutscene where Shinra says that he has analyzed the Farplane and has discovered lots of VITAL FORCE there that can be used as an energy source. Yeah, this planet has lifestream as the FFVII planet (FFIX has something similar too). That means that naming this little kid Shinra isn't just a mere coincidence, as he's an ascendant of Shinra's founders according to word of God (Nojima and Kitase), making this game and FFX "prequels" to FFVII. Of course, the writers started thinking weird things and this plot ended in planet travelling and aliens founding a weapon manufacturing company to extract the energy of another planet... Whatever. (SOURCE)

Related to this is one of the outcomes of Rin's investigation mission about the crazy machines. Rin can be the culprit, and if the girls incriminate him, he will spill the beans about a project planned to extract the life force of the planet.

Well, after Shinra mentions this thing about the lifestream, he also says that developing the technology to make the extraction feasible will last generations and poor Yuna gets sad when she discovers that her eyes won't see that ocurring, together with the cities full of lights that she always yearned for.

As Yuna would say: "Everything is connected". And after that horrible retcon (the ingame part of the retcon is good if one thinks that this is the same planet as the one in FFVII, but that alien shit doesn't convince me at all) ends this chapter.

Ultratech

Last time on FFIII: Zandig is a badass, and we found another potential party member, Peter.

And we learned that Peter is probably nigh-useless and a coward. And maybe some plot.

pic_0085afkcw.png
pic_00860gkd3.png

Today, Zandig prepares to head South to Kazus, but before that, he's heading back to the Altar Cave.

Turns out it's got some hidden goodies on that mysterious first floor we never traversed.

pic_0087irk0z.png
pic_0088e1jff.png

There's every monster in the cave (save for Goblins) all in one fight. And more goodies.

Though it's just mostly more gear and money. Money is nice.

pic_0089uxktu.png
pic_0090esjjm.png

Alright, back to the plot! Zandig arrives at Kazus.

***The Djinn's Curse***

Oh, it's Peter.

pic_0091yvjrd.png
pic_0092fajzx.png

Coward.

pic_0093hnkoq.png
pic_0094jdjvm.png

pic_0095sdjbf.png
pic_0096s4jr7.png

Wat.

pic_0097g2ja7.png

Well, it's official. Peter is our newest Party Member. (Much to everyone's dismay.)

pic_0098opkh0.png
pic_00991kjza.png

There's some hidden items in the trees to the West of town. Only notable thing is a very useful Mythril Helm.

pic_0101eojjr.png
pic_0102g6kvf.png

There's also water in town! Free HP/MP recovery!

And here's the Save Screen. Looks neat, huh? (There's a good reason I'm saving now.)

pic_0104sfk4i.png
pic_0105dukk3.png

***Dungeon Theme***

Anywho, Zandig and Peter head into the Mythril Mines north of town. The reason I did this initially is that there's two Mythril Swords in there that would be SUPER useful at this point in the game.

Unfortunately, they run into these Skeleton assholes and they one-shot their asses. Not even kidding. Whoops. :|

pic_01095ljl4.png
pic_0111isklv.png

Well, Time reverses, and the Party decides to check out the actual town...which appears devoid of people.

OH. Seems our "ghosts" are stick people. Or just outlines. I'm not entirely sure to be honest. And we can't buy weapons, armor, or magic.

Zandig: "THIS IS BULLSHIT."

pic_0112lbk76.png
pic_0113vajyl.png

Continuing to the Inn, our Heroes stumble onto Cid.

pic_0114q6jdt.png
pic_0115vqkb9.png

Zandig: "No shit, Peter. I want my goddamn items!"

pic_0116tvj3t.png
pic_0117j8jbd.png

Airship, eh? Nice.

pic_01186ek9l.png
pic_0119mnk7x.png

Dammit. No Mythril Rings available. :(

But the Party can't say no to a free Airship! (And barely an hour into the game at that!)

pic_012026k0f.png
pic_0121erko2.png

pic_0122ackc4.png
pic_0123isj8d.png

Some useful info here. Seems we may have to track down that Blacksmith's daughter to get a Mythril Ring. Or at least give us some more info on one.

And Zandig decides to take a nap. (Wonder if that ghost stared at him the whole time...that creeper.)

pic_0124jkjkv.png
pic_0125d3jls.png

The next day, the Party walks about 3-4 steps west of Kazus to the nearby desert.

Sure enough, Cid's airship is hidden there, though somebody seems to have beat them to the punch.

pic_0126dijdo.png
pic_012781j4v.png

Welp, I guess we found the Blacksmith's daughter.

pic_0128adj5f.png
pic_0129wmkdt.png

Or should I say, Claire? (Named for one Claire Danes. Based off Homeland mostly.)

pic_0130wdjch.png
pic_0131lfj5e.png

About as useless as Peter. Good job, Claire. Because you were so lazy, everyone in Kazus is screwed. You're living up to your namesake pretty quickly.

pic_0132i5kpe.png
pic_0133xtjmv.png

pic_01348ikh4.png
pic_01358uj90.png

Well, Zandig could always use more meatshields. Or female company for that matter.

pic_0137q9j1r.png
pic_01384sknd.png

That's not really luck, Zandig. >_<

pic_0139hijzs.png
pic_0140gejtm.png

And so Claire officially joins the Party. And Zandig gets his hands on an Airship!

pic_0141r9j7m.png
pic_0142szjea.png

This isn't a train, Zandig.

And so the Airship rises from the sands. Not sure how that works, but whatever.

pic_014357jvu.png

The Party now has an Airship to fly around on!!!

Next Time on Final Fantasy III: The Party gets their last (and most awesome) Party Member and their Airship sucks.

Xux

Fran straight up sucks. And so do Ninja Swords. Bleh.
TRUTH: I never used anything but swords/greatswords and bows/guns in FFXIII. Ever.
Knives can be pretty good in the midgame thanks to their attack speed and combo multiplier, I usually give Balthier a knife so he can slice all those monsters and it's pretty effective. It's pretty sad how the strongest one is hidden as a stupid random drop.

But yeah, once I reach Archades, I equip eveyone with longswords until the Zodiac Spear and Masamune appear.
Oh yeah, I'm doing a no swords play through. Everyone has a different kind of weapon in their hands.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Did ya know you can do pretty much everything except melee in first-person in this game? Is this a TPS or a FPS? Wait. Wrong line of inquiry! Hows about... WHY IS FINAL FANTASY A SHOOTER????? There's a question that seems discussion worthy! I swear when first deciding to give this game a go I was expecting something like Crisis Core or maybe even Devil May Cry!

ibxVfNU2KVoTk.jpg

Unlike last time the chapter title here fits the mood perfectly. Know what else does? The music! I found it so good that for maybe the second time in this thread I'ma not be lazy & actually link a song!

&#9834; Silent Edge &#9834;

ibyyc9AfpU9Yuz.jpg
iWU1dxyNb8GkT.jpg

Things kick off with Rosso musing over that rather nasty broadcast seen in the previous chapter. She mentions that the guy behind it is called Weiss. Meanwhile just after entering town Vincent finds himself in a showdown!

iFOPKWngZbPH3.jpg
i955B3v3LJLWS.jpg

Once they out their identities to one another the guns are lowered. Shalua wonders where the 500 people in this part of Edge have gone, but maybe that's for Vincent to find out. She's here on other business: business Reeve once told her wasn't worth seeking. A reason to live. As she departs its time for Vincent to get moving to. But lookit! We're here! In Edge! So cool!

Part 6: "even more tropes!"

iwKo91BoBa7UP.jpg
ibb8hrh31pxopM.jpg

Like I said the tune for wandering around Edge perfectly matches the dark, rainy streets with little in the ways of life save for just a few mecha-hounds. It's quiet. To quiet. I found a jukebox shop and before long a dying WRO member. His squad was wiped out and civilians are being taken to the warehouse on the edge of town. Looks like we know where to go now but first... stop! And check out that billboard! The FFVII-verse will never let Loveless go! mwahahaha!

iEjpyCfzXBRJC.jpg
ik47gMxKZ4Jib.jpg

Using the keycard the man left behind grants access to a small pub and inside is... more Loveless! For all you haters out there, I put a bullet in this poster just for you! Behind the counter is this nifty Hydra Frame. Better accuracy for firing at distant targets? Hope I won't need that anytime soon!

ifyYzhfUZaIT0.jpg
ibirahqvFTG5pX.jpg

Heading out through the second floor exit led to a cramped alley with a couple dog attacks but they were no problem. This leads into Edge Square Park! Once again someones got Vincent in their sights and hey look! Come ta think of it, we hadn't had a stage mission until now. What's this one? Something about sni... FUCK. I didn't last long an it was game over for me! Guess where you're dropped at if you die here? The very start of the chapter! When I got back to this part I died again >.<!! So for the first time during this playthrough, I had to switch input over to my tv in order to pass this section. I must say the game is pretty nice looking when you're not looking at it in a teeny lil window an its a heck of alot more playable!

ixLeIlKP6wokD.jpg
ibr4keibsTeL5i.jpg

When the snipers were finally cleared out I got a less stressful look at the park an saw that even though its a year later the memorial isn't back up to snuff. Thanks alot, Kadaj! After saving a kid from some Deepground soldiers he's gonna lead Vincent to the cardkey needed to move on. This means... an escort mission?! Squeenix must've had a shooter trope checklist...

ibxSYcrMVcsZkU.jpg
i6LaWGTb8Fcfb.jpg

Deepground had already rounded up a ton of people did they really need keep going after this kid? Defending him as he led us up an down an all around part of the multi-level town wasn't easy. Along the way I found an item I had seen near the chapter start but hadn't been able to get to, and a model gun which I assume is a joke weapon. With the cardkey obtained its time to seperate but not before the kid asks Vincent to help him avenge his parents ;.;

ibjAsWzI628Xkk.jpg
it7V0fjen7gg9.jpg

Things carry on into a more desolate & presumably under construction part of town and yet even here more Loveless love can be found. Ya can't escape it! Nor could some soldiers escape the fact that they were stationed next to explosive barrels!

iMwmo7z1z1R6o.jpg
iQ3bxL7rIJEFD.jpg

"Hail Weiss!" ??? Boss time? You bet! The enemy this time is Heavy Armored Soldier and a buncha other soldiers shooting at us from ground level and above! Taking the grunts down quickly is key to victory, cause once you're on the upper level picking off the heavy is pretty easy! He does shoot up at you but moving around kept things pretty safe.

iUBLduQsbmDTX.jpg
i5pAKnaiDEEzW.jpg

Oh look it's Rosso! She's enjoying a nice shower and ready to tear Vincent to pieces. She wants his Protomateria, which he still seems in the dark about. Apparently its the key to controlling "Omega" w/e that is. She attacks first an practically guts Vincent!

iDmhiqzsVgsNr.jpg
ipBvuyQZGh2ca.jpg

Vincent is down but suddenly a big ol' lightshow eminates from his body leaving her perplexed.

i20CrhUR4jnAE.jpg
izh3RirLY4NoX.jpg

But there's nothing to be perplexed about! This is a Limit Break! ...I think? Whatever it is it works! His beam blasts her straight outta town! Take that ya bloodthirsty crazy lady!

iz8URsByL8AWc.jpg
iEuEpiEXYqe9L.jpg

That was another long one. I'd like ta think I did much better this time around in terms of collecting stuff. I took my time an combed over places an found some off the path items. In every other aspect I failed miserably lol. ...Well maybe not every other one. I did pretty well on the stage missions this time around. Wonder where those last 3 snipers were hiding o.o?

iimeGNimOhhgQ.jpg
i9xHhImDkkSfm.jpg

Right after sending Rosso blasting off again, Vincent passed out. In his slumber he was once again hanging out with Lucrecia who's still apologizing. She also wants him to wake up.

ibdS510xT8ftTF.jpg
ibka8c6FnWHBmG.jpg

From one dream to another? Not quite! This is a memory from the past (which I didn't cover in my FFVII playthrough cause I wanted to leave some stuff for people to find!). He yells at and gets shot by a guy in a labcoat. This guys gonna perform experiments on him. Not cool man, not cool.

iWMgvI9nIgFjt.jpg
iPtASOc4uhSmJ.jpg

When he regains consciousness he finds his body feeling all kinds of weird. An also finds himself in some kind of tube, with a certain someone checking in on him...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Haven't mentioned this yet but the game has real-time weapon switching! Unfortunately the only weapons are guns. -.-;

iH3evGOuD1K06.jpg

Who's headquarters? Let's find out! As for those abducted people and that warehouse in Edge... we may never know what happened to 'em.

ibrnGx1a7NFSEi.jpg
imnp0OwwuWp4p.jpg

Vincent wakes up in a tube all healthy & healed courtesy of Shalua. She carried him from Edge to the WRO HQ herself! She says his beast went kinda wild, though Vincent shrugs it off as Chaos being Chaos. His Limit Breaks are known for not being terribly controllable ya know. Apparently Lucrecia had been studying Chaos... but it was Hojo who fucked Vincent up. Right? RIGHT?!

ib286j7xGzWhV.jpg
iyDLK1MaKOmcZ.jpg

"In her research thesis, 'The Planet's Pulse,' she refers to Chaos as one of the sentient xenoforms residing among us." Vincent just zones out and I'm like what the heck is a xenoform? Anyways that crackpot thesis is nowhere to be found so to hell with it I say!

Part 7: "that was a dick move"

iIavZaxL9RXPd.jpg

Elsewhere, Azul and the kid set off to once again harass Vincent and assault the WRO for good measure.

iBisshQodS1Bb.jpg
i0ZdtByhyifYS.jpg

Shalua seemed to have gotten just a fragment of Lucrecia's work but it's lil more than a random passage. Even so... Chaos, Omega, and Vincent are all connected to Lucrecia somehow. Since they're getting nowhere now is a good time for the HQ to go on heightened alert!

iyiYwozwn1TaM.jpg
i0iMVbgATtdGh.jpg

Looks like the baddies are here! The WRO's massively locked down front door didn't stand a chance against an attack from Azul. Among the fading footage Shalua catches a glimpse of something which catches her fancy. Now lemme break for a moment an ask: didn't we already have this stage mission? *checks old post* Assist the WRO! this time they added 'members' to it. Guess I gotta let it slide! Last time I successfully kept 3/4th's of 'em alive an now that I'm abit more used to things let's get that death total down!

ib2hkFDwCEDol8.jpg
iwJaYdojcg7od.jpg

Sooo we gotta fight our way up multiple floors of this buildings main hall. Aside from the usual soldiers there's now guys with rockets firing our way. A whole lot of cover makes the guys up top hard ta hit, while Vincent's practically a sitting duck.

iUcVUfFwTcML5.jpg
ihpBW4yRc6pdt.jpg

I think his guns need some serious upgrading. Missing these goons this close so often is just wrong yet they had no problem chipping away his health! There are some side-halls to check out along the way. Some have items. Some have ambushes! Choose your own adventure!

iwGX2bcwNTOfr.jpg
i8pwqCBHTWcmI.jpg

As Vincent keeps ascending & getting his butt kicked we get a glimpse of Shalua in action. What's she doing in the midst of this mess?! I'll tell ya what she's doing. A far better job than our hero!

irEl2Xk7HPuHm.jpg
iingZNsdOpk3z.jpg

After jacking an elevator and narrowly avoiding death from a hail of bullets, courtesy of a guy and his turret, we make it into a somewhat larger room and are asked to protect Reeve! Look at my HP. Understand that the game keeps running even as the Stage Mission stuff appears on screen. I think ya can all guess what happened as I was reading it an wondering what that timer is all about. -_-;

ibqft9Vh0TMgDi.jpg
iPxCHuSlddX1i.jpg

Back up all them stairs, fighting all them people again, this time taking out the turret guy and maybe doing better overall. Sometimes it may be better to just run & gun as opposed to taking your time seeking out hits. Back to the timed sequence I kinda took over 2 minutes... cause the halls are super narrow and the lil offshoot with the guy holding the cardkey is well hidden. As Vincent arrives Cait Sith punches out a soldier and it looks like we caught Reeve & Cait with their pants down. How the heck is he controlling that thing?!

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy IV: TAY Finished Yang's tale. Found a good cheat for forcing tails out of dragons, and I hacked the Tokita Sword, Akiyama Armor and Debug Ring into my file because they sound hilariously broken. In any case, it was hilarious to see that Monk Coleman of internet fame is honored in this version by being given SLIGHTLY darker skin.

Final Fantasy V: LotC Rouge is like, super fetish fuel. Dressed in tight leather, wielding a whip, inflicts tickle torture on Pretz, its just wow, she's like straight out of the Awesome Fan Art thread. Meanwhile, Pretz is the coolest FF hero hands down by virtue of being the least cool FF hero ever. I mean, he's just, Pretz is great. So over the top. I refuse to pronounce it as "MEED". Also, I thought this was 400 years in the future, not 200? "Things could get messy" *6 glasses of prune juice* hehehehe

Final Fantasy VII Battle Arena is awful, but I did get Omni-Slash. Not sure if I should try and get W-Summon or not, too. Spent the rest of my time gathering Enemy Skills and Limit Breaks. Cloud, Tifa, Aerith and Barret all maxed theirs out. Currently working on Cid and Red XIII.

Final Fantasy D Deist blows, but what's REALLY weird is that it has both an Abel and a Ricard, but no Kain. How unusual. Anyway, got the Dragon Grass, which in typical fashion HURT, and now I'm off to climb a mountain and heal a dragon! For reasons which have yet to make sense outside of Sol's head!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Hope ya readers don't mind all the cursing I've been putting into this games playthrough! I feel it shoots the mood of a suitbang game, ya know?

i5JexdvM804no.jpg
ibvaFv8v1YiYwr.jpg

Since the director can take care of himself perhaps its time to get back to the task at hand? Azul's still somewhere in the building ya know! Alllll the way back down to the ground floor an into another section of the building there's still more WRO guys needing help holding back Deepground guys. And bots. Shooting 'em 3 years ago was tough enough but the models these days take no shit from guns. Best to melee 'em but be careful cause they can start poking you and the damage'll add up real quick!

iukLNPeJqLBY6.jpg
ibjXwUA4mPQMCh.jpg

Once again Shalua points a gun at Vincent... or rather at the sneaky cloaked figure who started tailing him! Turns out to be that weird little girl again who Shalua calls Shelke. Although they seem to be acquainted with one another, Shelke's a Deepground soldier so she's gonna slice up her WRO friend!

Part 8: "how do I win??"

ibbb9zlf5qdelT.jpg
iXmjxZG6vUeZF.jpg

Ack! They're more than acquaintences... they're sisters!! Shelke was abducted 10 years ago (the same year Crisis Core began in and the same year Cloud left home...) and got put through all kinds of experiments which manipulated her mind and body.

iZPup9cTdS2wJ.jpg
iEM8GOjNA5rec.jpg

Yup. Shelke's in real bad shape. Yet she's more upset that no one came to save her in all of that time than she is at the people who did this to her! What a nutbar. Reeve steps in to try and cool things down by letting the not-kid know that her sis has been searching for her. And it's cost her an eye, arm, and over half of her organs. I knew she seemed tough but dang.

iyk1QDX7R2UWB.jpg
ibzFWr5Sxc7JMK.jpg

Course Shelke still won't listen to reason and certainly won't be swayed to not try an slay her sister. Luckily Reeve shoots a sprinkler an the water that sprays out douses her glowy sticks. What kinda crappy weapon gets broken from getting wet >.>? Reeve hands off some special bullets to Vincent and its boss time! She's fast, has a shield, and hits hard. REAL harder. Even HARDER after she loses about half her health. She killed me a whopping 4 times!

inq5y4DHKLAS9.jpg
i96B2fIxjYcvw.jpg

When Shelke's not moving she usually has her shield up. When she is moving it's usually to fast to get a lock on her. So melee it is! ...But her mid-battle powerup thwarts even that. What do I do? Get smart an use a Limit Break! I need ta beat it into my dumbass head that it's okay to use those -.-; Anyhow after clobbering the crap outta her only then does Vincent use those tranquilizer bullets he was given lol. Azul then busts his way in and gives Vincent & Reeve a good chase...

ib28shhbVl2Xr1.jpg
iLyklinw72KKd.jpg

Reeve leads Vincent right to a big fucking gun which'll surely do the trick right? Right? But not without some knockback damage!

iBGwPLzaGH9Sb.jpg
iDj6xSuaX9ADx.jpg

The goodguys are okay. And naturally the badguy is as well. His shield may be down but the guys still raring to go!

ixkHifVly8FWt.jpg
izHWK2Li3MXcO.jpg

The big guy takes miniscule damage from direct shots and melee attacks. But did ya notice there's a load of explosive barrels in the room? Thats a big hint! Clearly what you're supposed ta do is shoot one close to you and take a ton of damage and get killed right afterwards by him. *facepalm* 1 stupid death later, and Vincent wins by leading Azul around and blasting the barrels close by the enemy rather than himself!

iQX8gg6NPljHZ.jpg
iH58rsDBmR0Sh.jpg

Azul says this isn't the end, then proceeds to collapse. Ya whatever dude. Things may have settled down but Vincent's already thinking of his next destination. Where's he going to? To Nibelheim. He's got business in that mansion but of course Deepground's been spotted in the area. Reeve says he oughta take the sewer entrance. Yuck! While Vincent goes off to do his own thing, Reeve decides its time he and his feline friend find out what Deepground is up to!

iLUO974fDhxMa.jpg
ibqR7HZKpiQh0W.jpg

6 total deaths. This chapter put my death count up into double digits x.x! Got my worst chapter rank ta boot. How many WRO peeps did I keep alive? 3/4th's of them... so much for improving! I'm gonna assume that getting 0/4 on the WRO command center mission results in Reeve & Cait Sith slapping Vincent around for being so bad. btw no pre-chapter scenes this time!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ya know if someone had told me there was another character you take control of in this game my guess would've been Yuffie. Who we got instead prolly woulda never crossed my mind.

ijcw8ucJT4W4B.jpg

Fitting title seeing as how this manors been home to alot of bad crap. But before we can get to the manor itself...

iY8WFIiJfo5yP.jpg
iyDUuebNN41F6.jpg

...We gotta trek through the sewer. Ew! Vincent just plops on down into it! Right behind me I see something behind a grate I can't get to >.< and around the first corner... surprise! Eliminate these things which have been a thorn in my side for over 15 years? Gladly! Physical / Blade attacks never did much damage to 'em.

ibbWQ1m0huHUnj.jpg
iMBnlMYVmYkIr.jpg

But we got guns now and those do the job no prob! The sewer was just crawling with these things but Vincent made sure to check high and low, up ladders, under small openings, everywhere to rid the world of their menace! This was a really tense, creepy area btw. Vincent found some buttons which led to more sewers and eventually some stairs and another ladder.

Part 9: "fucking stealth how does it work"

iMzKpBiGSbjNv.jpg
iwc6Dj0AHyias.jpg

At the top of said ladder was a totally off-guard guard. A bullet to the back of the head dropped this one but alerted all the others. I'm still not understanding why people like these types of games. Final Fantasy's I mean. Shooters are cleary ace. Vincent crouch-walks under a partially opened door to find goodies and infinitely spawning soldiers! Took him awhile to figure out the latter part an get the hell outta that room.

iWHGbtfXwTL6L.jpg
iibpDezUFJkat.jpg

It then took 10 long minutes to figure out that the lift goes up and down between 3 levels, not 2. Through the third level door was a narrow bridge over a pit. Suddenly the doors on both sides locked shut! Aaaammmbuuusshhh! A group on one side, then a group on another. It wasn't so bad. I dun get the logic behind how the doors opened back up though. Kill dudes = unlock doors? Vincent shoulda been locked in there for good lol. Its for the best that they opened cause beyond 'em was an elevator and a moment to reminisce. Vincent was quite a cutie back then.

ibsuLXfRtT1Dev.jpg
ib1gHYD47oFiuP.jpg

With her trailing off and claim that she'd never met a Turks before I get the feeling Lucrecia is hiding something. But would a face like that lie??

iQRV9m62WcjXr.jpg
iblfRDdgog469p.jpg

Meanwhile over at Midgar's Mako Reactor 0, Cait Sith drops in... and is controlable and has a stage mission? Oh no. Nonononono! It didn't take long for the cat to get caught & killed -_-;

ibdQLF6VfiiXEq.jpg
iMXybGVvzETlK.jpg

Once Cait Sith got his bearings he was able to advance and discovered that merely rolling explosive barrels into people makes them go boom! Are those things made of glass or what? The cat then moves far enough into the reactor to discover the container full of abducted people from Kalm... and watch in horror as its dropped into a pool of mako.

ibndam5kj45u1l.jpg
ibgRmZEXgjSCOj.jpg

The container gets pulled all the way under by a giant freaking hand! What is that thing?! It's this guys brother? Omega?!

i92w3JBZYvtO4.jpg
ibfZGccpEWT6P4.jpg

As if that didn't freak out Cait Sith enough, he's not to pleased to have bumped into this Nero dude. That weird phenomena which had made people in Junon vanish surrounds Cait Sith! And then Cait Sith was a Moogle doll.

All of them were awful. Vincent's redesigned Chaos is just UGH.

Oh yes, Nomura pretty much deserved all the hate he got during the PS2 era.

The shit he did was just atrocious.

Ever since Dissidia he has gotten better though.

That Lightning Returns outfit was made bad on purpose.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gonna keep these daily updates rolling along. No more slacking for me! But ya know I'm still doing pretty poorly at the game. I've come to realize I can choose either exp to level up or get a buncha gil whenever I die/finish a chapter. With that in mind should I worry less about levels and more about money to upgrade the weapons? I don't get much cash cause I suck at stage missions and I'm always having to spend it on healing items so I can't really save up alot >.<!

Shalua was far, FAR worse.
All of them were awful. Vincent's redesigned Chaos is just UGH.
On the subject of characters/designs in DoC I'll do alil rambling!

Reeve - goofy outfit which he shoulda changed out of by now, nice looking, good dude
Cait Sith - why'd they follow AC in ditching the mog??
Chaos - its pretty bad if a FFVII veteran like me is questioning whether or not that was supposed to be Chaos or not
Lucrecia - didn't she have black hair originally?
Shalua - her overall look is fine its her fashion thats questionable, like how she's no pushover and is better than Vincent (me) at kicking butt
Shelke - not a fan of her design or character
Azul - his design is alright and instead of being a bumbling fool like most beastly giant muscle men he seemed very competent up to his untimely demise
Rosso - clearly meant to be a female Vincent design wise but they didn't quite succeed, but she's a good foil to him
Nero - not gonna judge him cause all I've seen of the guy so far is his bandaged face and all I know is his name and that he might control that disappeary stuff
Omega - ???

edit: overall much prefered the art style/direction of Crisis Core. DoC's world/area style fits in but its people/enemy design follows AC's which wasn't the hottest

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gonna keep these daily updates rolling along. No more slacking for me! But ya know I'm still doing pretty poorly at the game. I've come to realize I can choose either exp to level up or get a buncha gil whenever I die/finish a chapter. With that in mind should I worry less about levels and more about money to upgrade the weapons? I don't get much cash cause I suck at stage missions and I'm always having to spend it on healing items so I can't really save up alot >.<!
To be fair, the game isn't good either so don't get all worked up about not playing it well. Some of the upgrades aren't really worth it. The upgrades have good ideas behind them, but they aren't necessarily that great in execution.

Like, I feel like the shooting bits are worse than freaking Red Seeds Profile's.

Shalua - her overall look is fine its her fashion thats questionable, like how she's no pushover and is better than Vincent (me) at kicking butt
This is what Square-Enix thinks scientists working in BSL2-4 labs look like.

CorvoSol

Oh yes, Nomura pretty much deserved all the hate he got during the PS2 era.

The shit he did was just atrocious.

Ever since Dissidia he has gotten better though.

That Lightning Returns outfit was made bad on purpose.

I really liked Nomura's designs for Dissidia. I thought he did a very good job of combining his style with Amano's and the like, two Yoshida characters he did.

Dissidia had great designs yes.

Still can't quite forgive him for this yet though.

He would have to really impress for me to consider him a good character designer again.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
They sure are making Lucrecia out to be more then just some scientist who may or may not have slept her way to the top.

iBuc0mlxEUuQw.jpg
ibzeLVC56rt9hW.jpg

Vincent's lil elevator ride is over and he arrives in the manor basement where a materia just happens to roll up to him. Suddenly Lucrecia appears in magic hologram form! She left behind a message for Vincent should he happen to ever stumble around the area. Ignoring that Vincent "slept" in that place for who knows how long it still brings to question how no one found it before now? Zack didn't when he was dicking around in search of the 7 Wonders of Nibelheim? Sephiroth read like every book down there and never spotted this materia? Shinra didn't comb the place over when they rebuilt & occupied the town? Just sayin'. Anyhow she goes Bugenhagen on us by saying how she studied the Ancients and their "Chronicles of Yore" which is how she learned about Omega. Omega's born from the Lifestream like everything else but his only purpose is to kill all living things an take their souls into space or something.

iDYM6UOKGn7F6.jpg
ihkwOBUx5Vzcv.jpg

The message ends with yet another apology and Vincent spots something in plain sight! This is even worse how did no one from Shinra find & pocket this file disc?! Whatever. Its our job to find 'em all. You'd think a mission like this would be unfailable... I know I thought as much! We shall see!

Part 10: "not gonna miss a thing"

iuDoUux34R4QG.jpg
iEGFJLygn2KzD.jpg

Hmm seems it wasn't Crisis Core that expanded the basements layout after all! The place is as gloomy as it ever was. Deepground soldiers and their beasts are sneakily outta sight in small rooms and tight corridors.

iOBhOmEqkTTyq.jpg
inv0dWnSUTS5u.jpg

I knew I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist looking in the coffin. One of those damn Sahagin's popped right out an scared the shit outta me ;_;! In the wide cave-like room of the area a mission appears! That must mean my file collecting is done! Mines? Do I crawl along the ground like Snake to disarm them?

ibba5PaaCOj8NU.jpg
ibnoAvxSFoZTQZ.jpg

Noooo. Instead I continue ta prove I'm incapable of learning and end up setting one off IN MY FACE. There were only 4 in total which made the mission feel like a waste. I wouldn't have minded it going on alil longer. More dumbness continues when Vincent activates and takes a ride across a pit where an explosive barrel and guard await. Instead of shooting the barrel before crossing I shot it mid-ride and got knocked into the pit where a beast or two awaited!

ihFkyxRIBaeZ8.jpg
ibpFwmWVVetFSV.jpg

This one went alot better. A buncha soldiers just kinda patrolling around by some of them barrels. Do they not know how delicate those things are? One long-ranged shot blow 'em all away! Then its onto a familiar looking spiral staircase, mercifully devoid of random encounters with annoying monsters.

ibbbkSZQohmhlA.jpg
iWGA6uSy5XH0D.jpg

Speaking of gloomy, this place has seen better days. Its in a bigger state of disrepair than down below. The safe room doesn't even have a safe in it anymore which is sad cause I was curious as to what could possibly pop outta it this time around. Plenty of soldiers an junk to shoot at though.

ij5Ws8aJn5Ell.jpg
ibyEKNQw2oiohH.jpg

Vincent soon bumps into Rosso who's as sick as ever. Weiss wants Omega awakened so she's gonna aid his cause without knowing or caring why. As a matter of fact the thought of exterminating the planet thrills her. -_- She claims Vincent is just like her in that he enjoys killing but our hero denies it just like any other! Instead of sticking around to fight she runs off to let a mech do her job.

ibfS6nka21LBbc.jpg
ibl6CvX10prjND.jpg

Gotta fight this Black Widow in the main hall! It's got a powerful laser which killed me immediately. Great! Round 2 ended in failure as well. Ya definitely wanna use magic on this boss cause it hits the thing pretty hard. Get to close and in rushes into you. It also fires long sprays of bullets, climbs on the walls and ceiling, and will even come down on the upper floor. Best boss fight yet imo.

ix3HfZlQqN12K.jpg
iGLGPUl6nZ09C.jpg

As the mech blows up Vincent does his classic battle victory animation! ...And for a second time lets his guard down against Rosso. She rips an orb straight outta his chest and down he goes! He starts transforming into Chaos but without that thing it's a no go.

iOcRmAQeiHpLX.jpg
iKTAVdn60g9N0.jpg

Rosso moves to deliver a killing blow when from outta nowhere comes a boomerang strike! A suspicious character starts darting all around confusing and blinding Rosso, and gets Vincent the heck outta there! This leaves the wicked lady pissed off enough to punch the ground and vow that if Vincent survives she'll make sure she kills him for sure next time.

ioxJwNNOPdzEt.jpg
ibrNeS6vZo5fvj.jpg

Longest chapter yet! I excelled in my usual areas of using lotsa items and taking damage! I did in fact totally eliminate the Sahagin menace! The sneaking didn't go so well. I missed a file? I dispute that big time! I went through rooms multiple times and rubbed and jumped against everything! Screw you game!

ipz6H18db9iE1.jpg
ibfQO6fDaEV8jc.jpg

Some time ago... The lowly Turks bodyguard assigned to Lucrecia demanded answers. Was she in fact gonna use her own unborn child as part of an experiment? The answers a resounding yes.

i41IFTDkm8wtz.jpg
iya2Adsxsvl2u.jpg

She and the man with her are both scientists, they know what they're doing. Yet Vincent finds this hard to accept. Lucrecia spells it out to him and he just kinda gives up. He doesn't even try to stop her...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Cutscenes! From boss end to next chapter it wasn't 30 minutes on the mark but darn close! I'm sure theres more in store! Early apologies for a certain image lacking color. In the game it displays in color for only a split second an throughout a dozen re-records I could never manage to grab that exact frame -.-;

iTymMfwl3nVte.jpg

So Vincent kept his mouth shut and simply watched. Turns out the scientists aren't so smart after all. Experimenting on her own body made Lucrecia from fall ill.

Part 11: "Dark Schala was right!"

Previously on FFVII...
iQYNKTjVmrZFb.jpg

The face a million fangirls fell in love with. btw didn't I just say no more looking in weird containers?! >_<

Previously on Crisis Core...
ieH4tbRKjTiEk.jpg

He rushes outside and sees a downed Cloud along with something else. The face a million fangirls fell in love with.

ibsmYNha6bOuOD.jpg

This interuption doesn't phase Sephiroth from continuing his chat with some machine then ripping it away to reveal Jenova. btw didn't I just say no more looking in weird containers?! >_<

Previously on Advent Children...
ibuU2oDhoS6apq.jpg
i3ckPfXNb5yAN.jpg

The Shinra people were bad men and we lived nice lives thanks to them. It hurt the planet but no one wanted to find another way. There was also the face a million fangirls fell in love with and things in weird containers we swore we'd stop looking in.

ibh6U0hjRnXJ1Y.jpg
ibpU8kncmxtChb.jpg

As she collapses we get glimpses of the future. Things such as her son who has the face a million fangirls fell in love with. We also get to see things in weird containers we're destined to never stop looking into.

ibbW1RIHi3KItU.jpg
iEGonWsMTG1wE.jpg

"That was my sin." Back in his la-la-land Vincent is once again talking to the crystalled Lucrecia and still blaming himself. In the land of conscious people, his mysterious savior is watching over him. When he awakens and asks who this person is she's happy to tell him!

iXp7oP8xivq88.jpg
iuvGWS4s7E5qH.jpg

"I am the champion of the earth and the sky. I am the conqueror of evil. The single white rose of Wutai. Yuffie Kisaragi!" Somebody still hasn't grown up! Their vehicle hits a bump in the road which causes our heroine to stumble an get a bump on her head!

ibj3kIozfc9LOE.jpg
iqBzUFnFYWLwz.jpg

Anyhow she just happened to be in Nibelheim at the time and totally saved his ass. When Yuffie found him, he had a big hole in his chest but it's already completely healed up! Vincent sure is a strange one. Reeve checks in via vidphone and let's 'em know of his findings from the poorly handled stealth mission and says that he'll analyze those files that were collected. But Vincent missed one! I hope this can be overlooked >.>

iPF47dVhQTpRP.jpg
ifLvIuz6O4T4i.jpg

Meanwhile, at the WRO Headquarters... Shelke awakens! So does... Azul? He was not dead? Oh and bravo WRO peeps. You left Azul on a bed with no signs of restraints and the knowledge that he can easily bust down doors/walls. GG guys.

iYT62nKHxFyT7.jpg
iGR2mDA7RFT0x.jpg

Shalua's not exactly proving to be brilliant either. Falls asleep at the wheel and just leaves Shelke's weapons on her desk. She almost deserves this not-kids threats!

iZg8439q9iAVA.jpg

But Shalua's not taking it lying down any longer! Seeing her sister for the first time in a decade had left her in a tizzy but she's back in top form! Bring it the fuck on, Shelke!

i760OoebOGIGn.jpg
iMtpotSz5gUjq.jpg

WRO guys are pretty much taking it easy making it no surprise when their HQ is invaded again! Already?! Them Deepground guys swarmed the place real fast and began gunning people down. A heavy even made it to Reeve and seemingly launched a rocket directly at the director...

iTXtqY4PF93xh.jpg

According to Shelke they were waiting for Azul's death. Does that make him undead now? How could he be any more terrifying?

ibm8ng8ltl9non.jpg

Yuffie & Vincent's transport runs into abit of trouble. Yuffie gets bumped around again an seems to be ko'd this time. Vincent will have to take on these familiar looking mechs himself, I guess...

Top Bottom