• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #114 - "The Great Debate"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRW810

Long time lurker of this thread since my NeoGAF applicant days. This is my first challenge since I became a member but I didn't realise the deadline was approaching. It's 22:54 local time, which I think gives me six hours to get something written and submitted. It won't be a classic but I have a nice little idea that I'm 1,000 words into.

Got to say, after all this time reading dozens of fine entries, it's a thrill to be a part of this.

Mike M

Nick N
Long time lurker of this thread since my NeoGAF applicant days. This is my first challenge since I became a member but I didn't realise the deadline was approaching. It's 22:54 local time, which I think gives me six hours to get something written and submitted. It won't be a classic but I have a nice little idea that I'm 1,000 words into.

Got to say, after all this time reading dozens of fine entries, it's a thrill to be a part of this.

Yeah, I was always missing them until I figured to subscribe to the thread I had missed, then wait for the link to the next one to get posted.

Embarrassing that it took me as long to think of that as it did : /

Mike M

Nick N
So instead of working on this (or like... work...), I've been crunching some numbers. Extrapolating on my scores from the previous themes, I am projecting a score of 42 points this time.

tmkpTWr.png

Man, with margins like that, I may not even bother revising, it's practically in the bag!

tirminyl

So, I give up. I have no idea what I am writing. I am 1700 words in and haven't even gotten to my point yet or how to even pull it off. I'm stuck. I'll tuck it away to work on later.

Going to bed, I'm exhausted. I can't wait to read everyone's entries.

ZeroRay

"Eating Cheetos on the couch. Now that's American living!" said Dontius.

Dontius was a portly man, a man of robust proportions. His round face stuck in a moment of pure ecstasy, his hands finely caked with the fine yellow dust. What a life he leads!

"I gotta go now Don," I replied. "Work."

He looked at me in a bewildered fashion. The sort of thing a dog might do to a house guest he's never met before. Something was wheeling within that fat skull of his, and there I sat patiently to find out what it was.

"When did you get a job?"

"Last week."

"Oh, so you're too good to hang out with me now?"

"No man I love you but I need money. I can't eat Cheetos and play video games all day."

He seemed struck by the comment, but he adjusted and continued his line of questioning.

"Where do you work?"

"The...gamestop over at the mall." My voice lowered at the mentioning of the store; it was like a shameful secret you'd only entrust to your closest friends. So I really don't know why I told him.

"Can you get me discounts?"

"Well, I can offer you our Power Rewards card."

"Trying to shill me that off the clock are you?"

"You got me bro."

"Man you guys suck."

"We sure do Don, we sure do."

"Eating Cheetos on the couch. Now that's American living!" said Dontius.

Dontius was a portly man, a man of robust proportions. His round face stuck in a moment of pure ecstasy, his hands finely caked with the fine yellow dust. What a life he leads!

"I gotta go now Don," I replied. "Work."

He looked at me in a bewildered fashion. The sort of thing a dog might do to a house guest he's never met before. Something was wheeling within that fat skull of his, and there I sat patiently to find out what it was.

"When did you get a job?"

"Last week."

"Oh, so you're too good to hang out with me now?"

"No man I love you but I need money. I can't eat Cheetos and play video games all day."

He seemed struck by the comment, but he adjusted and continued his line of questioning.

"Where do you work?"

"The...gamestop over at the mall." My voice lowered at the mentioning of the store; it was like a shameful secret you'd only entrust to your closest friends. So I really don't know why I told him.

"Can you get me discounts?"

"Well, I can offer you our Power Rewards card."

"Trying to shill me that off the clock are you?"

"You got me bro."

"Man you guys suck."

"We sure do Don, we sure do."

God almighty that was hilarious.

He had never known that someone could express so much through their eyes, before that moment. Oh, he'd lost himself in a beautiful girl's stare before, or been enchanted by the twinkling, cinematic gaze of a film star, but he had never before experienced a moment where words weren't enough, or more precisely, where words were beyond reach. The first time he'd been to see her, he broke down and had to leave the room. The tubes, the machines, the intrusive disinfectant smell and, most importantly, her. Lying there, broken. It had all been too much to handle, but even when he got over the sight and mustered up the courage to re-enter the room, he couldn't keep the tears at bay, try as he might. It felt weak of him, and he felt that he had to be strong, but when she came to all his strength melted away. It turned out that she was strong enough for the both of them, as she silently gave what little comfort she could, while he sat there, crying warm tears upon the hand of hers he fervently clutched. After a while the tears dried and he began to talk about news from the outside. The new neighbours had moved in. An elderly couple from up north, with two cats and a little dog. And the council finally got around the fixing the street light outside no. 70, but the bin collection was a day late this week. He started to talk about how things would be back to normal, once she was out of here, but her silencing glance stopped him in his tracks. Doctors came and gave injections, removed tubes, replaced tubes and bags and, as the days passed, he felt himself falling into the routine. He wanted to keep things calm. For her, he said to himself, but for him, he knew in his heart of hearts. So he avoided the uncomfortable subjects and kept his one-sided conversation to lighter topics. But, as the days wore on and her condition worsened, it became harder and harder to put it out of his mind. The pain, oh god. The pure, unbridled pain and suffering that burned like a fire in those eyes was too much to bear. The morphine helped and she swam for a while amid the waters of semi-conciousness, but even then the effectiveness lessened and the doctors refused to up the dosage much further. They would make her as comfortable as possible, they assured him, and so he retreated once more to that room, to that chair beside that bed, to hold her hand while she writhed inwardly, constant pain wrought upon those eyes. His furtive bouts of sleep that night left him with dark and troubled thoughts and, as he entered the room once more, he felt suddenly sure of what he should do. She was awake, her eyes rolling as her chest raggedly rose and fell. He went to her and told her how difficult it was to see her like this, how he wished he could ease her pain and then, in that moment, her eyes focussed on him with such intensity, such longing and need. Tears streamed down her face and he felt himself let out a bitter sob. It took him three more days to work up the courage. Three more days to convince himself that he was doing the right thing. That, if he truly had any love for her, his life meant little next to easing her pain. He held her hand as the machines and tubes let out protests at having their functions interrupted until, at last, her grip slackened and her fingers left his as nurses and doctors swarmed into the room and he felt himself being roughly snatched from her dying grasp.

Cyan

Banned
The Lord--Adonai, Elohim, the Almighty, I am that I am, YHWH, Lord of Hosts, God--stood mighty and tall, mounted atop His great fire-maned lion, sunlight arrowing off the facets of His diamond armor.

Beneath Him amid the lilies of the field stood a quiet man wearing simple brown robes and sporting a monk's tonsure. He looked down, unable to stand the glare of the Lord's radiance--or perhaps merely acknowledging his inadequacy.

A short distance away, close enough to listen, far enough to not be a part of any discussion, Metatron knelt with his bronze stylus and clay tablet at the ready. He stifled a yawn.

"So!" said the Lord, and His voice boomed and echoed in the stillness of the day. "Thou hast come!"

"As you see," said the quiet man.

"Whence comest thou?"

"Ah, well. Here and there and to and fro about the earth, and now I am here." He sketched a half-bow, then, as if recalling a forgotten resolve, he straightened and raised his eyes.

The Lord neither smiled nor frowned at this effrontery, merely maintained His gaze until the man blinked and coughed.

Metatron ignored the byplay, inscribing the words spoken onto his tablet. Sometimes he wondered what the point of this was. The perfect memory and perfect access to the past of an omniscient being surely superseded such fragile mortal instruments as clay tablets. The Lord had never to his knowledge actually looked at any of the libraries worth of notes and dictation he'd provided over the millennia. Though now he thought of it, that was just as well, given how many of them were half full with doodles and scribblings.

He looked up from where he'd been idly playing with the stem of a golden lily. He'd apparently missed something, because the quiet man was talking again.

"But can one say that Job is truly faithful, truly holds nothing over God, within his heart? Can one truly know the depth of his faith, when it has never been tested? Surely any man, blessed with seven sons and three daughters, with a wife of surpassing beauty--to say nothing of his livestock in their milling thousands--surely any such man would give thanks to the Lord for his blessings? Surely you cannot say this is a wonder."

The opening words of a poem came to Metatron as he sat and listened, as a butterfly zipped past his ear.

Light upon the field of lilies.​

But no, that didn't encompass the whole. It was proper to put the Lord first, but it needed the quiet man as well.

Light and darkness meet upon a field of lilies.
Deity and opposite​

It was a shame to simply call them light and darkness, though. The Lord shed light, in brilliant scintillating radiance, but it wasn't precisely light, not in the sense the mortals saw it. The Lord cast a light that was something like the essence of life itself, of the universe and all that existed within it--though even that didn't quite capture the whole of it.

And darkness hardly described the quiet man, either. He did shed something that might be called darkness, but it wasn't, not really. He didn't cast shadows, and he was quite visible. It took some effort to discern the similar but opposite radiance emanating from him, a haze or shimmer in the air, like heat rising from desert sands. No, opposite was the wrong word--his darkness was not the converse of the Lord's radiance, but the inverse.

A few more descriptors, then, and an enjambment to better show the counterpoint of strength and weakness.

Light and darkness meet upon a field
of lilies
Deity and opposite
Life and death; vassal and Lord.​

He shrugged. Some things couldn't be captured easily in words.

"What dost thou mean, a hedge?" came the righteous booming voice of the Lord.

Metatron looked up with a furtive head movement and started transcribing again. The Lord didn't need his transcriptions, but it was still his role. He had been brought to transcribe, not to scribble poetry.

"A hedge, a wall, whatever you wish to call it. You've walled off his prosperity and made him untouchable. Without that, a simple run of bad luck and he'd be cursing your name."

There was something... interesting happening in the space between the Lord and the quiet man. Where the Lord's radiance met the quiet man's irradiance, the two effects bent and twisted round one another, then vanished. One might've expected a sort of mist or grayness at the intersection of the fields, but instead they simply canceled out. The space where they met was ordinary, empty air.

Well, no. Not exactly empty. The dimensions were thinner there, stretched and bent along with the intersecting fields of radiance, and Metatron found he could see through it as through a pane of glass. And he knew he peered through time and not through space.

And he saw the fate of the field on which they met.

Dust and ashes, swept aside
Making way for crops and homes
Village life supplanting fields
and lilies​

A few more lines escaped him, fell from his thoughts through the stylus and onto the clay tablet, before he recollected himself and looked at the Lord again.

The odd windowed effect was gone; the quiet man had taken a step back from the Lord and was looking at the ground again. He was smiling, now. "I will not touch your servant," he said. "As you have directed, but his fields and flocks and family, those I may do with as I will?"

The Lord did not nod--the movement was too similar to a bow to be possible to Him--but he waved His hand in an assent. "All that he hath is in thy power."

The quiet man gave his odd half-bow again, again straightened his spine, and then vanished in a swirl of smoke and whiff of brimstone.

Metatron couldn't help but feel that he'd missed something momentous.

"Come, scribe," said the Lord. He waved His hand again, this time in command. "Our purpose here is achieved."

Metatron scribbled a few more lines as he stood, before they fled his mind forever.

Bloodshed through the streets
Murder rouses in men's hearts
Forgotten are the light and dark
Life and death who met upon the field
Forgotten is what came before

Forgotten are
the lilies​

"What doest thou?" said the Lord, and he sounded curious, though Metatron knew an omniscient being had no need of curiosity.

Metatron scanned the poem. Imperfect meter, questionable word choices, some needless repetition. Not his best work, even given the constraints of time. Not really of the quality one would wish to offer up to the Lord.

"Nothing," he said quietly. "It's nothing."

Nezumi

Ah my story is finished but I'm away from my PC at the moment. So it might take me a couple of hours before I can upload it. I'm working on it though. So please writing-gaf, have mercy with me.

DumbNameD

Seeing Both Sides (~2480 Words)

Jack turned his socks inside out. He frowned at the mismatched colored stripes of the white tube socks. But he didn't think much of it to find either of the sock's siblings. He also did not think much of the tan khaki pants that he would use to hide the different socks. In fact, he did not think much of any of this outfit that he was being forced to wear by his mother.

"We're going to make you look good for your grandparents," said his mother, responding to the obvious scowl on his face.

"It's just school pictures, Mom," Jack said, as he put on the black jacket of a suit. He looked at the gray-plaid interior of the jacket and found a pocket on the right side. He wondered what he could hide in there. He flapped his arms and then raised then up and down over his head as he tested the sleeves. With a crooked finger, he pulled at the collar of his buttoned-up shirt and make a gagging noise with his tongue sticking out.

"Pictures at this age," said his mother. "You won't be this age forever, Jack."

"You know, I could tie that knot if I was in the scouts," he said.

"Yeah, and start fires." His mother had a neck tie, too small for her, dangling from her neck. "How's this?" she asked.

Jack shrugged. "I could take it or leave it," he said.

"Oh, there's no leaving it now," she said. "It's done." She pulled at the tie and made the loop bigger. She knelt and lassoed in Jack with the tie.

"Not too tight," he said. He did his gagging gag again.

"You're fine."

"Why can't you just take a picture now for grandma and grandpa and grammie?" asked Jack. "Then I can change and go to school in normal clothes."

"Shush. You look so handsome," said his mother. "Now get to school. Don't dilly-dally." She gave him a peck on the forehead before pointing him toward the door.

Jack slung his backpack onto this shoulders and popped out of the house in all his suited finery.

"Hey, and don't get your clothes dirty, you hear, Jack?" she shouted from inside the house.

Jack had heard, but the wind was this cool jolt to his body. And he wanted to run.

It wasn't even a block before Jack met trouble.

"I am going to so much make you eat dirt."

"Jack!" Alex scooted around a tree and emerged behind Jack on the sidewalk. "Save me from this crazy person."

Trouble had freckles. And pigtails. And a fistful of surprisingly solid dirt.

"Get out of the way, Jack, or I'll make you eat dirt, too," said Trish. She shoved the dirt toward Jack's face with as much menace as a little girl in pigtails could muster.

"Hey, now!" Jack raised his hands in surrender. In his nice jacket, he felt like his arms were roped to the ground. If he weren't wearing such clothes, he wouldn't have much fear of dirt, but his mother's words and wrath loomed. He tried to shimmy his way from out in front of Alex, but Alex was quite the beanpole and quite the hider. "I thought you liked each other," said Jack.

Trish shrugged. "He's my boyfriend," she said. "He's supposed to do what I say."

"But I don't want to," said Alex.

Trish waved the dirt around.

Jack watched in horror as some of the dirt took to the wind. "But, but, you know, since you're boyfriend and girlfriend, why don't you do this thing together?" he asked.

"Do what, huh?" she said.

"Eat dirt together," said Jack. "That's what couples do. They do things together." He nodded a few times.

"I don't want to eat dirt," said Trish.

"Well, you have to," said Jack, with certainty. "If he does, you do, too."

"Fine, he doesn't have to eat dirt," she said.

Alex slumped in relief. "Thanks, Jack," said Alex. "You saved my bacon."

"Well, bye-bye, dirt," said Trish.

Trish tossed the clod of dirt right into the air. It scattered into the wind like a cloud of flak. Jack's arms flailed as if a swarm of bees had set upon him. He tried to wave the dirt away, but all he did was dust up his sleeves.

"Say, Jack, you look very pretty today," said Trish.

Jack didn't hear; he was pretty busy brushing as much dirt as he could from his sleeves.

"Hey, now!" said Alex. "Jack, why don't you—?"

Trish flashed a finger in front of Alex's face. "I'm going to make you eat my booger," she said. "It's a big one."

That was Jack's cue to get on by.

They said it brought out one's fears. At least, that was what they said about it. The house was okay. But the yard was haunted. Like, by ghosts. Or by one ghost. Jack never quite worked out the logic of it. However, what Jack did know was that the grass in this haunted yard was always short and yellow. At least, it was in the winter. Also, the house was never bought and was always empty, so that had to be the lawn ghosts. Of course, Jack wasn't sure why being haunted was the reason, but it still had to be the reason. He never quite worked out the logic of it.

But if he could cut across the lawn, he could get to school faster. Being a third party to a boy-girl relationship cost him some time, and he could make it up if he could summon some courage and conquer his fears to cross this haunted yard. His class was the first to be scheduled for the photographs in the cafeteria. Jack couldn't be late. He wasn't sure if he was more afraid of being eaten by a ghost or of disappointing his mother.

The gate creaked open and invited Jack to the grounds. Jack gulped. He took a peek inside. A pinwheel, staked at the edge of the yellow grass, was just inside. Jack poked at it with a finger to make sure that it was real. A broken stone walkway led a crooked path to the hollow house. The "For Sale" sign probably marked the grave of some unlucky realtor swallowed up by the ground. It was only about fifteen feet to cross.

Jack ran.

He didn't get far. He fell back onto the grass. He near about peed himself.

It was a clown. A dead clown with jagged yellow teeth and a sinister grin. Though it had charcoal eyebrows stenciled in rainbow arches that marked a constant surprise on its face, it had no eyes, just holes where eyes should have been. Its nose was a round ball. Its face was bleached white and had green makeup smeared around it lips. Its bloated cotton-candied colored body ended with big floppy green shoes. This was weird since Jack couldn't remember if ghosts had feet or if they just ended up in a pointy tail like the top part of an exclamation point. Frazzled spiky green hair topped its head and could have used a good perm.

"A riddle then, young knight," said the ghost clown.

Jack didn't realize that he had a choice of things. He was quite disappointed as he was good at multiple choice quizzes. Also, Jack liked being called a knight. And being such a knight, he knew that he had to accept this challenge if this ghost had thrown down a gauntlet.

"Here's something close to your heart," said the ghost clown. "If your heart should still be close to you, after all's done and said." It heed and hawed.

"Hello," said Jack. He realized that he hadn't said hello yet. "My name is Jack."

"Well, then Sir Jack, here is your riddle then," it said. If it had eyes, it would have stared right into Jack's soul. "What has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three in the evening?" asked the ghost clown.

Jack took a long moment to think. This was taking too long. He considered sprinting past the ghost or doubling back, but he figured that he would have to run at warp speed to outrun a ghost. However, there was barely a runway to build up speed. This haunted yard was supposed to bring out his worst fears, so what were his worst fears? He thought hard again. What was his worst fear? A ghost? A clown? A ghost clown? Not knowing the answers to tests? Making his mother mad at him?

Jack puffed his chest. "The answer is—" he began. "A glass cat."

The ghost clown looked surprised since it always looked surprised. "And how's that?" it asked.

"In the morning, my mom's glass cat had four legs," said Jack. "In the afternoon, I broke off two legs with a baseball. Accidentally. It was an accident. And then at night, I had glued one leg back on before my mom found out. She was really mad when she found out."

The ghost clown dissipated in a burst of green flames.

As Jack climbed the gate to the backyard, he realized that he wasn't sure if the backyard was haunted or if it was just the front. And if the back was haunted, he didn't know if it was just the one ghost for both yards or if there was another ghost for the backyard. He shivered at the thought of another ghost. In his jacket, it took a bit of effort and care to climb up one side of the fence. It took much less to tumble from the top to the other side. It had to have been a ghost. He wasn't sure why it had to have been a ghost that push him off the top of the fence; he hadn't worked out the logic of it. However, he was sure it was a ghost.

Jack ran with all that was holy in him.

There was a girl standing at the steps of the school. She pinched two sides of the hem of her sun dress and curtsied to all passersby. She twirled about and giggled to herself. She had bright eyes and a warm smile. Her cheeks seemed as round as the moon. Constance was the cutest girl at school.

A milk carton flew past Jack's head. The carton deflated upon impact, and the milk exploded in a splat all over the street. Jack had no lack of surprise. It missed him by inches.

Constance was also Jack's most mortalest of enemies. As far as Jack was concerned, all the flowers on her dress should have been skulls and crossbones. They had a long history, if long meant a handful of years, which seemed to have begun with a little spat. Being a blue belt in karate, Constance was sure that Little Red Riding Hood could self-defend her way to putting a big, bad hurt on the big, bad wolf. However, Jack thought that was a piece of absurd revisionist history. He was sure the wolf would eat her since it was so big and so bad and so much into the business of gobbling little pigs and shepherd pranksters and myopic grandmamas that a girl in red wouldn't be much trouble at all.

They talked about each other behind each other's back. They tried to one-up each other in grades and snickered when the other gave the wrong answer to the teacher in class. Dodgeball usually devolved into their aiming exclusively for each other, even if they were on the same side.

Constance was always pitcher. Not only was she cute enough to get her way, but also she had a deadly arm and pretty good aim. She reached into her backpack and pulled out another half-pint of dairy goodness. Her backpack seemed really full. She readied her arm.

Jack darted left, toward the swings. If he could get far enough, there was a tree and a bike rack that he could possibly use as cover. If only he could reach them.

The milk carton sliced through the air right between a pair swings and crashed into the chain-link fence behind Jack. Jack had ducked. He would have been impressed at her aim if she had called her shot beforehand or if the carton had actually hit him. He was, at least, fair in this regard. However, she had not, and it had not. So Jack stuck out his tongue at her.

Constance reached into her backpack again and reloaded her cannon of an arm.

Jack ran. He outran the backyard ghost, so he should have been able to—

The milk carton bounced off his right shoulder. Jack sighed in relief, even though it felt like he had been hit by a softball. It left only a couple of white drops on his nice jacket. It didn't explode in a burst of cow juice. It was a dud. But now Jack was pumped. He had one now. He had a milk carton too. He had a weapon of his own.

Now Jack didn't have Constance's arm, but he did okay in softball or kickball. He could throw the balls almost three quarters of the way between bases. But here and now, he had the opportunity to throw it right to home plate and score the last out. He grabbed the milk carton and raised his right arm. "Eat dirt," said Jack. The milk spilled from a gash and splashed all over his right shoulder.

There was a machine gun of laughter and pointing from the steps of the school.

Soaking in milk like a bowl of cereal, he wondered how cute this rivalry would be now to his mother. He didn't think she would find it so adorable now.

The bell rang, and with a big toothy grin, Constance skipped her way into the school.

Jack could only take solace in that perhaps she didn't have any milk money left, that she wouldn't have any milk for lunch, and in turn, that her bones would crumble like a mess of crackers from her lack of calcium. Jack sighed and staggered toward the building.

"You're a sight, Jack," said his teacher.

It was true. He had dirt on his nice jacket. Grass stains. Milk.

"Here." His teacher handed him some paper napkins.

Jack dabbed the best he could and tried to dry out.

"Maybe you should just take the jacket off," said his teacher.

Jack shook his head. He lifted a flap of the jacket. "See this side?" he said, pointing to the gray plaid interior. He took off his jacket, turned it inside out, and flipped the collar before threading himself back into it. He smoothed out the jacket collar and gave a quick tug on the sleeves. "It's reversible."

Thanks for the stories.

1. DumbNameD -- Seeing Both Sides
2. Tangent -- If Only He Took Claritin
3. Nezumi -- “Regulations”

HM. Mike M, SquiddlyBiscuit, Bootaaay - A bit hard to read with the formatting. On the other hand reading it in the Big Show's voice made it pretty awesome.

Mike M

Nick N
My comments:

toddhunter -- Excuse me for asking: I actually quite like the explanation of how God can simultaneously know absolutely everything yet at the same time still need to be brought up to speed. Not sure how it works with the notion that God is also “all powerful,” but it’s not like the very notion of an omniscient and omnipotent god isn’t inherently rife with paradoxes on its own without our assistance. I don’t think the flashback to breakfast was necessary, it occurred early in the story and didn’t take you very far back from the point that was being flashed back from. It just comes across as being out of sequence, and I’m not so certain the use of spacers designated actual scene changes. Still liked the concept a great deal. I had an irrational hatred of the fact that the protagonist was called “Stickers,” though. I felt like punching him for some odd reason.

Aaron -- Empty Bottles and Broken Stools: I was wondering what was so weird about the TV guy entering the bar with someone else that I reread the first several paragraphs several times before moving on to find the answer. Duncan’s nonchalant retelling of the chimp’s antics prior to moving in had me rolling. I think the opening could be tightened up insofar as getting to the fact that the other person who entered the bar is in fact a chimp a bit sooner, and I had the impression that the jukebox was stuck on Jurassic Park for longer than just that night, which made the fact that other songs would later be coming out of it seem slightly out of place. Also, fighting a chimp is a spectacularly stupid idea, but I can’t help but smile at the thought of a bar brawl involving a chimp dressed like a Chippendale’s dancer. Everything’s better with monkeys
and yes, I know chimps aren’t monkeys

ronito -- I can admit defeat: Well, you tried. It’s the journey, not the destination... or something... It was kinda meta though, I did like that. Should I ever get to pick a theme again, I’ll see if I can’t pick something that doesn’t cause everyone so much aggravation.

GRW810 – Who Decides What’s Important?: Heh, I had actually briefly entertained the notion of trying to frame mine as a political debate as well, but it never really worked out in my head. At first I was questioning the use of British spelling and terminology in a piece seemingly about American politics and thinking that drawing the line between political platforms and coloring books was a tortured comparison, but then I tumbled to where you were going with it about a paragraph before the reveal. Suddenly that tortuous analogy was actually a very literal statement. I think the coloring book part could have used a weeeee bit more polishing so that it didn’t stand out so much that it didn’t make much sense until the very end. Very nice freshman effort, welcome aboard.

Tangent -- If Only He Took Claritin: Illustrations? I didn’t know we could do that! I must lodge a formal complaint, as this is clearly an unfair disadvantage on account that I can’t draw for shit. Oh fuck, in rhyme too? God damn it. This is the absolute last form I would have ever expected a debate over climate change to assume. I think you have totally nailed the theme and objective with this one. I’m so completely demoralized right now, it’s like “why do I even compete...” fuck...

SquiddlyBiscuit -- Dyadic Truth: I liked this one, the explanation of the function of “hyperlight” was highly reminiscent of Dan Simmons’ “Hawking space” in the Hyperion/Endymion series. It seemed to me like you were trying to present moral ambiguity as to the actions of humans and a machine uprising and give credence that both sides were justified in their actions, but in the end I don’t think you fell into the usual sci-fi trope of machines tasked with protecting humanity rising up to protect them from themselves. Maybe if they weren’t in active pursuit of the humans who escaped/chose to leave it would be more successful, but then you’d be bereft of conflict. In either event, I was definitely unswayed by the AI’s argument for its case ; )

ReiGun -- Shiver: I’m a sucker for stories about ghosts. When I was four, I wanted to be a ghost when I grew up. The line about the guy joining John in the afterlife actually got me wondering what the rules regarding ghosts were in this universe. Is there a waiting period for becoming a ghost, or would the dead stalker guy be off haunting his own family or something? A bizarre and morbid conversation to be having over a dead body, but that was kind of the point of the theme and secondary objective, wasn’t it? I had trouble with the central conceit being that she was somehow going to have difficulty mounting a self-defense plea over killing the guy, but it all takes place in Carol’s house? Granted I don’t actually know the success rate of self-defense or justifiable homicide claims, but it seeeeemed like she had a pretty ironclad case.

Mike M – Sandwiches: I still don’t know if I like this one. I have had this farcical debate framed in my head for a long while (though I always figured it for a script as opposed to a short story), but I had always thought of it as taking place in a bank during a robbery. But I just wrote about a bank robbery, so I wracked my brain to come up with something else. Went through pilots arguing with the tower while a plane was going down, but really the roles didn’t line up with what I had in my head, so I was going to go back to the bank robbery thing before settling on changing it slightly to being a jewelry store. Honestly, I think it might work better as a script, I had a beast of a time finding a way to identify the characters without names instead of just going “the robber the robber the robber the robber the other robber the robber the robber” the whole time. Ugh. I hated this, and I did it to myself. Never going to get those projected 42 points with that one : /

ZeroRay -- IDK: Cheetos are coated in orange powder, not yellow! God, did you do any research for this piece at all?! But on the other hand, you did use the whole thing as a delivery vehicle for a knock against GameStop, so I can’t fault you too terribly... We’ll just call it a wash this time.

Bootaaay -- In the Eyes: Very melancholy, interesting interpretation of the theme to pose it more or less as an internal debate. Or perhaps even a commentary on the debate over euthanasia itself. It’s got layers. Like a sandwich. No paragraphs though, which gives me trouble when I have to follow one line to the next, but otherwise very nice work.

Cyan -- I admit nothing! - a counterpoint: Hm, this concept seems vaguely familiar in some manner that I can’t put my finger on... : P Seriously, very nice work, I hope ronito doesn’t mind your source of inspiration on that ; )

Ashes1396 -- highs and lows in madrid: I see things like the use of “ipad” instead of “iPad” and “weary” instead of “wary,” but I can never be sure if these are actual mistakes, or just manifestations of poetic license. The varying font size made me think that this would have been an interesting piece to render in some sort of... Idunno, scrapbook journal page or something. I liked it, it was full of the little disasters that befall people when traveling abroad that made it seem genuine.

DumbNameD -- Seeing Both Sides: More ghosts! Loved a lot of things about this, the kids’ interpretations on how relationships are supposed to work, taking for granted that everything kids believe about the neighborhood are literal and true, etc. All the train of thoughts expressed seemed true to form for how I remembered thinking when I was a kid, I always enjoy writing that doesn’t just treat kids as small, stupid adults. The title ties in nicely to the theme as well as the completely unrelated bit at the end about the reversible coat, nicely done.

Nezumi -- “Regulations”: At the risk of provoking a debate over cultural relativism, I find the kingdom of Dugal’s traditions to be kinda weird. The second son is sent out to kick ass and do legendary shit to be the right hand man of the first son who does nothing? Whaaa? Then again, I live in the US and I’m sure the traditions that render our Senate completely ineffective must seem baffling to outsiders as well : ) Love the idea of doing battle against the forces of evil means taking on an apathetic bureaucracy running an evil enchanted forest.

Picks:
1.) Tangent
2.) Cyan
3.) Nezumi

Honorable Mention: DumbNameD

Nezumi

At the risk of provoking a debate over cultural relativism, I find the kingdom of Dugal’s traditions to be kinda weird. The second son is sent out to kick ass and do legendary shit to be the right hand man of the first son who does nothing? Whaaa? Then again, I live in the US and I’m sure the traditions that render our Senate completely ineffective must seem baffling to outsiders as well : ) Love the idea of doing battle against the forces of evil means taking on an apathetic bureaucracy running an evil enchanted forest.

Absurd, isn't it. ;)

ReiGun

I had trouble with the central conceit being that she was somehow going to have difficulty mounting a self-defense plea over killing the guy, but it all takes place in Carol’s house? Granted I don’t actually know the success rate of self-defense or justifiable homicide claims, but it seeeeemed like she had a pretty ironclad case.
I went back and forth on including that because I actually felt the same way you did. lol I'm doing a little research on it now actually.

My choices:

1. Tangent -- If Only He Took Claritin
2. Nezumi -- “Regulations”
3. Mike M -- Sandwiches

HM: SquiddlyBiscuit, GRW810, DumbNameD

Good batch of stories, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom