• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This.

Kratos not saying much is really kind of surprising.... not that he was a chatterbox before, but I honestly don't remember him ever being THIS quiet. It's disappointing although I am still enjoying the game for the most part.
That is definitely a complaint I can agree with. For a while I wasn't even sure they had managed to get the same actor to voice Kratos as he didn't seem to have any speaking lines. It's definitely a bit strange.

I appreciate that the cutscenes mostly appear to be realtime, however. The PS2 games were terrible in this regard as they both relied on poorly compressed videos to tell the story which made for a large disconnect. GoW3 was an improvement but still used video regularly. Ascension seems to go realtime for most normal scenes, however, and blends into the gameplay seamlessly.

Damn that's the second time I almost had to go to youtube for a puzzle. Even though when I eventually find the solutions I'm like "fucking duh! *slaps head*", they mask those solutions pretty well. As I said in the Tomb Raider OT this game is a better puzzle game than TR :p

It is! And you when you get it, it's like, "ah, of course! Duh!"

I don't have much complaints about the puzzles in this game. They're actually pretty good this time around.

Manus

Upgrade them and they are totally insane awesome....Like I said, I think many people just don't adapt to the new possibilities in this game.

I finished yesterday on normal and I am currently playing on hard. I never said I am "godly", I am just not crying when I die a few times in a game (I died 4 times on hard on ending boss of the first level, you know, FIX THAT SHIT GG, it is too hard).

No one is crying because we can't beat a section after 4 tries. I am crying after not beating a section after 100 tries. In older GoWs I can see myself progressing with each try. With this one I can't, it's just cheap death after cheap death. I probably wouldn't have this problem if I was playing on normal. Oh wait I can't change my difficulty mid game?! Thanks SMS.

george_us

I totally agree. What's really sad, is that this backlash is going to cause the team to make the next game too easy. They'll likey go to far in the other direction. I think if the parry system was the same as the other titles, it would be perfect as is.
The irony being that I'm finding this game, on the whole, to be a bit easier than GoW3 in regards to comba

But fuck this
Eyes of Apollo
puzzle.:(

JB1981

It runs just like the rest of the series. All of the mainline God of War games have unstable framerates.

I still think this game feels more polished and impressive than most other similar games. From a pure technical point of view this is dramatically more impressive than Metal Gear Rising, for instance.

I just played through God of War 3 again. The game doesn't have an unstable framerate by any stretch of the imagination.

JB1981

Exactly. It's just flat out frustrating and unsatisfying. Fighting the fucking cerebus (who takes a million hits), while fighting super harpies, while fighting those polearm bitches was one of the most frustrating battles in the game. Then the "Trial" happened.....and I've yet to beat the game because I was about to break my fucking controller. I have NEVER been so frustrated with a GOW before. For those who played the shit of all GOW games, just to give you an idea of this "Trial", imagine playing the section in GOW 1 right before you get Pandora's box and they have the spinning wheels that do damage, archers and fucking dive bomb harpies galore; now imagine that you have to beat sirens, and super medusa's at the same time THEN have to fight dive bomb harpies and satyr's....all in an even more narrow space that spits fire.....Fucking genius design SSM

Wow. I probably won't buy the game now. Ain't got time for that.

OSHAN

Anytime where you're talking about "YOU have to adapt" to a game, that game will likely suck. Where are the choices? What if I don't want to have the use those attacks ( they don't work that well anyway btw). What if I want to approach situations the way I want to? DmC did that same stupid shit where you had to use certain weapons on certain enemies then they thought it's be genius to throw 5 different types of enemies like that at you at once. That's silly. It limits the gameplay.

Play a different game. It isn't unheard of for games to present you with obstacles that require a certain approach. It sounds like you're pretty salty about it.

Damn, I really can't wait to play that section myself. I was going to do my first playthrough on hard because GoW games are a bit on the easy side on normal but now that I know difficulty can't be changed mid-game (how about a patch for that instead of a stupid trophy?) I'm going with normal.

Beat the game last night at like 3am. lol. Very enjoyable. I have definitely come to appreciate the combat more now compared to the middle of the game. I thought I was going to have trouble with the Trial of Archimedes. Lucky I was able to get past it after two tries. I totally agree that the difficultly is unreasonably spiked. Though what that part did cause me to do was stop relying on the standard square,square,triangle moves and instead start utilizing all of the different abilities. The trick for me was in the beginning section to keep my distance by using
the slowdown ability and then activate my clone ability for crowd control then roll to the other side of the area. Get in some shots to raise my rage meter for the rage attack with the Hades enchantment. Also, use the magic whenever you get swarmed by enemies. The gorgons and witches will give you magic orbs back after being killed. The first stage is definitely the hardest. If you can get past that with a decent amount of health still, you will be good.

I still don't like the new parry. They need to change it back to the OG one and leave that new one for multiplayer.

I'm replaying now on new game+.

The irony being that I'm finding this game, on the whole, to be a bit easier than GoW3 in regards to comba

But fuck this
Eyes of Apollo
puzzle.:(

Reveal spoiler if you want a hint...
use your clone on the top conveyor belt

Salz01

I'm kind of looking forward to getting to this trials part now. Seems to separate the casuals from the hard core.

Beat the game last night at like 3am. lol. Very enjoyable. I have definitely come to appreciate the combat more now compared to the middle of the game. I thought I was going to have trouble with the Trial of Archimedes. Lucky I was able to get past it after two tries. I totally agree that the difficultly is unreasonably spiked. Though what that part did cause me to do was stop relying on the standard square,square,triangle moves and instead start utilizing all of the different abilities. The trick for me was in the beginning section to keep my distance by using
the slowdown ability and then activate my clone ability for crowd control then roll to the other side of the area. Get in some shots to raise my rage meter for the rage attack with the Hades enchantment. Also, use the magic whenever you get swarmed by enemies. The gorgons and witches will give you magic orbs back after being killed. The first stage is definitely the hardest. If you can get past that with a decent amount of health still, you will be good.

I still don't like the new parry. They need to change it back to the OG one and leave that new one for multiplayer.

I'm replaying now on new game+.

I guess I'll jump back in now and try my hand at this damn Trial I really want to beat this damned game.

I guess I'll jump back in now and try my hand at this damn Trial I really want to beat this damned game.

Hades blades man. The long magic move will give you a short breather. Make sure to hold block during the move though cause you will get attacked right after using it. lol. If you don't have that upgraded use the fire enchantment and magic. Btw, all of the gorgons moves can be canceled with a simple block. It's just their charge grab that catch you but it won't take off that much health.
use slowdown and clone abilities right after every cooldown

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This, I never had that problem in former GoW titles. In this, they hit you out of your combos/attacks so easily.

Eh, it was the very first thing I noticed about GOW1 combat after coming off DMC3. Enemies will interrupt you, even basic ones. It's not a trivial matter to complete a full combo sequence when there are multiple enemies around.

It might be even worse in Ascension, but it's always been a thing in GOW. On higher difficulties one of the more effective techniques is to do the triangle-triangle-triangle combo but start it facing away, at a distance, so they can't hit you before your final big attack.

I also feel like this game, more than the past ones, really DOES encourage over-reliance on square-square-triangle because it's rather difficult to build meter and not necessarily worth the time. I'm sure someone will do the actual damage calculations and I might be wrong, but my impression is that square-square-triangle is more efficient than trying to do more complicated attacks.

I am surprised to see so many negative thoughts on the combat system. I've actually found it to be quite rewarding and, perhaps, more conducive towards skilled play. More than any other game in the series you are discouraged from simply button mashing and dialing up the same combos. You really benefit from playing smart and it's quite engaging.

The parry system is definitely an issue but it doesn't ruin the game by any means.

the problem with the combat is there is very little variety with how you approach the combat. Being more difficult/ challenging does not equal being better. Mechanically the parry system is flawed, and you are relegated to only 3 combos until your rage meter fills up which causes repetitiveness. Add the fact that the different elemental properties mechanically don't do much differently and you have a flawed combat system in general. in GOW 3 they gave your weapons that all worked differently and had different benefits, plus you had a bow in which you could juggle enemies with or keep your self away from the fray after lifting your self in the air with the wings and shooting at them from the air. Nerfing the parry is fine, so is having a rage meter that encourages offense but having less combos in general and having the parry system broken is no bueno.

Tbh i like this game more than god of war 3, i have to say the bosses are better, and it has better pacing imo. The dialogue is really up there.

I have to say kudos to SSM for some good puzzles this time around. It was refreshing. I just really wish they expanded on the elemental system, soooo much potential there.

The secret to two was spamming that lightning attack, and throwing enemies since they inflicted massive damage due to the difficulty mode damage multiplier.

the secret to GoW3 was Hermes boots for launch, abuse air grabs

I'm sure the secret to this game is something involving grabs

GoW higher difficulties are closer to NG than DMC/Bayo. It's not about styling, and the game doesn't reward you for your knowledge of fancy combos. It's all about efficiency. What's the fastest, best way you can kill THIS set of monsters? How about THAT set of monsters? What about if you were protecting this translator? How about an ARMY OF CLONES, huh?

omonimo

Banned
No one here is complaining about more puzzles and less bosses. Those are all welcome changes. But the combat, holy cow did they screw up the combat.
I though the bosses fight were the best parts of this game. I don't know how someone could appreciate this direction or even compare Ascension bosses to the spectacular sequence of Gow 3, is not even close. Poseidon, Ade, Chronos... there were the pinnacle of the series. The centimani part is just ... a pathetic trying, but enough weird.

I finally figured it out! Trial, you are fucking DEFEATED! Still hate the non-existent parry but the game is fun again :)

Parry is there, its just a little harder to do this tie around. Instead of a timed block, it is L1+X, Kratos will form a barrier around him for a short window of time that will parry an enemies attack.

Congrats on beating the trial. Prepare to be amazed at the ending fight. SO GOOD.

Jacob4815

I though the bosses fight were the best parts of this game. I don't know how someone could appreciate this direction or even compare Ascension bosses to the spectacular sequence of Gow 3, is not even close. Poseidon, Ade, Chronos... there were the pinnacle of the series. The centimani part is just ... a pathetic trying, but enough weird.

THIS.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game does encourage heavy square square triangle use, but I'm finding all square combos with soul and ice also help a lot. One of the items that has use required to beating the game gives you infinite rage and I feel like this game will be incredibly fun with it on.

When you are at full rage meter with Kratos in this game he feels like a badass. The handful of people I've seen that try to reason that the changes to the combat are because Kratos is 'weaker' here are nuts, when I have that meter maxed and I'm hitting the floor summoning bolts of lighting, making explosions and giant hands come out of the floor I feel more empowered with this rendition of Kratos than ever.

If games are too hard and people keep complaining about it then clearly they have the wrong hobby.

Its all this forum consists of is people bashing/moaning all the time.

Its sad, real sad.
Generally speaking it helps to respond to a specific post or two when you say stuff like this, otherwise no one really knows who you're talking about.

Don't argue against the "hivemind."

Really glad i decided on normal for my first run, I was initially heading straight for hard but changed it up after reading these. Much obliged, team.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
the secret to GoW3 was Hermes boots for launch, abuse air grabs

I'm sure the secret to this game is something involving grabs

GoW higher difficulties are closer to NG than DMC/Bayo. It's not about styling, and the game doesn't reward you for your knowledge of fancy combos. It's all about efficiency. What's the fastest, best way you can kill THIS set of monsters? How about THAT set of monsters? What about if you were protecting this translator? How about an ARMY OF CLONES, huh?

Can't wait to strategize my way through killing 6 goats.

Then 8 goats.

Then... 10 goats???

IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!

Also bugs.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It is! And you when you get it, it's like, "ah, of course! Duh!"

I don't have much complaints about the puzzles in this game. They're actually pretty good this time around.
Puzzles were always good in GoW games, respective to what other else was out at the time anyway. Also, just try to think of another high budget game series that puts this much effort into puzzle design. There's TR series, there's UC3 (UC2 had 1 or maybe 2 non-mind numbingly simple puzzle), and that's it.

So for someone who beat GOW3 on titan difficulty, but doesn't want to be frustrated and just wants to enjoy the story of GOWA, do you think normal instead of hard? Also are there trophies/unlocks associated with completing the higher difficulties?

Manus

So for someone who beat GOW3 on titan difficulty, but doesn't want to be frustrated and just wants to enjoy the story of GOWA, do you think normal instead of hard? Also are there trophies/unlocks associated with completing the higher difficulties?

Go normal. I was the same as you and thought hard would be cake. It's just full of cheap hitting enemies.

Oh my fucking god the final boss fight is incredible! Best last boss fight in any GOW game ever. HOLY SHIT! It's fucking CG level! Good goddamn!

Now I'm actually excited to play through again with all my upgrades.

Sid

I'm at the
Hourglass
,this is quite possibly my favorite GoW.

Edit:I looked back after finishing it and compared it to the other ones and well this it.I hadn't played a GoW game in a while before playing Ascension so I said that a bit early.

There is a trophy for completing on hard, so it will be two playthroughs for you if you start on normal.

Aside from what I've already complained about, regarding the story, my main gripe is that I wish they would have had more sections of Kratos BEFORE the killing of his family. I think that would have made the ending much more impactful. Hell I would have loved to actually play the section where he kills his family. I'm very surprised that didn't make it into this game.

bumpkin

I see a lot of peeps posting SP impressions... Has anyone been digging into the multiplayer? I ask because I likely won't bother with it, but I got an email from Best Buy with the multiplayer preorder goodies. They'll go to waste if I redeem the code. Anybody want it? It's some sort of hammer and four skins... Perseus, Orion and two others I can't recall off-hand.

Oh my fucking god the final boss fight is incredible! Best last boss fight in any GOW game ever. HOLY SHIT! It's fucking CG level! Good goddamn!

Now I'm actually excited to play through again with all my upgrades.

I recommend replaying through with the unlockable
olive skin Kratos. You can really see how awesome their new skin shaders are.
Its also cool to see just how much of the crazy shit is actually not pre-rendered in-engine.

I'm at the
Hourglass
,this is quite possibly my favorite GoW.

It only gets better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just played through God of War 3 again. The game doesn't have an unstable framerate by any stretch of the imagination.
It absolutely does. It ranges from 30 to 60 fps depending on what's happening. It does not run at a constant 60 fps nor a constant 30.

Unstable doesn't mean LOW framerate...it simply means that it doesn't hold a consistent rate. It changes constantly.

Loudninja

Hey maybe some of you should wait until they patch the sound issues?

I mean if its a big deal for you, because they are working on it.

Sid

I recommend replaying through with the unlockable
olive skin Kratos. You can really see how awesome their new skin shaders are.
Its also cool to see just how much of the crazy shit is actually not pre-rendered in-engine.

It only gets better.
Fantastic news,I'm playing on hard and each encounter feels damn intense.

Really glad i decided on normal for my first run, I was initially heading straight for hard but changed it up after reading these. Much obliged, team.

I attempted hard on my first playthrough but gave up. I passed the trials after a couple of attempts on normal but that section was still way harder than the rest of the game. I've since watched somebody finish it on hard but they pretty much had to employ extreme turtling measures during 'that' section. It looked really tedious.

Zen

Banned
GoW games have always had hard as balls trials haven't they?

All the MGR tells are obvious, because they want you to parry it. Monsoon is no different.

And it was definitely "learning the game". The final boss of MGR tests your skills at pretty much ever major mechanic of the game, from Zandetsu, to parrying, to dodging. If you weren't ready, you got your ass kicked again and again. See: everybody in the MGR thread getting owned by the diagonal Zanetsu throwing section.

You can S rank the final boss without Dodging, just stand there and parry. You really only need Parry and the mandatory Zandatsu. Heck you don't even need parry. Just block and hit him during his openings.

Which was also absurdly easy. I've never failed it. It's so weird that people have problems with it since you don't need to line up all the hit points. Maybe they aren't using both sticks to fine tune the aim.

Top Bottom