• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's economist discusses virtual reality contact lenses

pfkas

I'm usually first in line to throw my money at tech, but I think there's a point at which I have to draw the line.

EVIL

this quote
http://www.pcgamesn.com/strange-case-valve-economist-and-virtual-reality-contact-lenses said:
Apparently, “the technician told [him] it’s going to take years before they get the necessary FDA approvals, in order to get the technology to market. The reason is that no one knows what impact such realistic presences might have to a person’s psyche, especially if they’re prone to schizophrenia.”
sounds really close to this quote
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=virtual-reality-contact-l&page=2 said:
Innovega plans to deliver prototype devices over the course of 2012 and 2013. "In 2012, we're also aiming to get FDA approval for the contact lenses," Willey said. In 2014, Innovega plans to begin low-volume production for the defense community and possibly those with vision problems. The company also aims for a commercial launch of their product in 2014 or 2015, depending on whether deals can be reached with commercial partners such as gaming companies.

So it does look like a real product, and valve provided some sort of tech demo to work in conjunction with Innovega's AR contact lenses.

It also helps that Innovega is located in bellvue Washington, same area where Valve has their office.

SteveWD40

Anyone who has read Ready Player One, do you feel that the OASIS is just the sort of thing that could pop out of Valve any time now?

They even had the f2p model, with the console (visor and haptic gloves) being less than a dollar but you buy in game items (which they take a cut of) from auctions and in game real estate / transport costs etc...

LordCanti

There's no way that this is real tech right now. Ten years from now, if we're playing in VR at all, it will be on an HMD and not contact lenses with screens projected onto them.

This is the dream though. This, or a matrix-esque system where you literally don't know (unless you're one of the unlucky few) that you're in a VR world.

Zaptruder

Banned
Anyone who has read Ready Player One, do you feel that the OASIS is just the sort of thing that could pop out of Valve any time now?

They even had the f2p model, with the console (visor and haptic gloves) being less than a dollar but you buy in game items (which they take a cut of) from auctions and in game real estate / transport costs etc...

Fiction has a way of shaping reality. It inspires people, and people are happy to borrow from fiction when it can be reality.

At the same time, fiction is shaped by reality; a lot of the ideas in RP1 aren't new or unique; they're recombinations of other ideas wrapped into a delectable package.

Even in our current state of reality, we already find many threads of technologies and ideas that form the basis for the things that'll happen in RP1.

I mean to a large degree, second life IS Oasis. It's just limited to a single planet, with early 00s graphics, instead of thousands of planets with hyper real graphics.

LordCanti

I predict a vasovagal response in your future....

Why is someone going to draw blood from us?

I realize that other things probably can make the same response occur. I've only experienced it that way though and fffuuuuuuck.

LED mounted in a contact lens for possible virtual / augmented reality displays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHECpEhJdB8

Ben Krasnow... works at Valve: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ben-krasnow/4/6a9/679

This guy is going to show up at the ER one day, and the doctor is going to yell "YOU PUT WHAT IN YOUR EYE?!"

SteveWD40

Fiction has a way of shaping reality. It inspires people, and people are happy to borrow from fiction when it can be reality.

At the same time, fiction is shaped by reality; a lot of the ideas in RP1 aren't new or unique; they're recombinations of other ideas wrapped into a delectable package.

Even in our current state of reality, we already find many threads of technologies and ideas that form the basis for the things that'll happen in RP1.

I mean to a large degree, second life IS Oasis. It's just limited to a single planet, with early 00s graphics, instead of thousands of planets with hyper real graphics.

I am just hoping we get that level of interaction (without all the dystopia stuff), the haptic gloves alone allowing you to feel / interact sound amazing yet plausible, but the full suits with 360 treadmills? Yikes.

The OASIS / Second life thing struck me as well, but the novel does point out that the reason the OASIS worked was mainly the immersive interface (along with zettabyte size servers etc...)

Looks like this tech is going to show up at CES. Equivalent to watching a 240" screen from 10ft away? This is going to change the world. Oculus Rift has nothing on this and pretty soon everyone in the world will be usi---

ZPGnXok.jpg

Is that.... 640x480?

Edit: well, looks like I found a banned site.

Top Bottom