• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #116 - "The Game"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Yeah, don't worry about a deadline extension. You'll usually get a few entries an hour or so past the deadline (okay, it's usually me), but we don't generally extend the deadline altogether. I don't think it's really necessary.

Ulver trudged wearily down the dungeon steps, torch in hand. He had lost all track of time, walking through these halls of misery, back and forth between his quarters and the deep, dark cell in which his prisoner dwelt. What had been an exciting, joyous occasion had turned so very sour. This was to have been his defining moment! The answer to all their questions. Instead, it was a humiliation. He motioned to the guard to open the cell door, wrinkling his nose in distaste at the smell of the place. Inside, the angel remained as he'd left him. Lying on the cold, stone floor, motionless, eyes staring into nothing. He didn't even know the man's name, though he was no man, that was certain.

It had been weeks since they'd captured him, crawling from a burning crater of blinding fire, naked as the day he was born, if his kind were born. By looking at him, you would never guess he wasn't an angel, so similar was he in form. He burned with a powerful intensity and, under firelight, he seemed to almost glow. They had questioned him of course, but he had no words for anyone. If he understood them at all, he gave no sign. They had doctors brought to examine him, but he seemed perfectly human, right up to the point that one doctor had tried to drain some of his blood. The light that poured from the incision could only be described as holy. A blinding, brilliant white light that sparked like fire from the wound. The angel had screamed then, a deafening roar that seemed to pierce through the skull, right into some primal hindquarter of the brain. That had scared his superiors, so the angel was brought here, to their most secure facility.

He greeted the angel but, as usual, got no response. With a sigh, Ulver proceded once more through the laundry list of questions he now knew by rote. Where are you from? How did you get here? Are you aware of the prophecies? Do you know of the One True Lord? What of Alaem and Alaer? When will they return? Are you their herald? And so on and so on and so on. Still the angel ignored him. The whole situation was maddening. He wondered if he should have been so bullish in his report to his superiors, so confident of his great discovery and the wonders it would bring. But even if he had wanted to deny what he knew to be true, his men had already made up their minds and word had spread.

Rumour ran rife, even moreso now as the Order tried to deny all existence of such a being in their custody. Tongues wagged from temples to ale houses, all across the kingdom and, probably, beyond. Pressure was mounting and Ulver knew he needed answers, or it would be his head for the chopping block and likely the angel's too. He'd tried imploring with the man, tried screaming and shouting. Tried bribery, tried kindness, tried cruelty. Nothing worked. Oh, he screamed under the blade's touch alright, that awful, skull shattering scream, but his scars healed, the light faded and back he went to this state of impassive silence. Perhaps they weren't worthy, he thought. Perhaps they weren't meant to meet the agents of their creator, to know his will. With a frustrated sob, his head sank to his hands and he wept.

.Stop that.

"What?" Ulver stammered in surprise, raising his head.

.I said, stop that. You're embarassing yourself.

Ulver's jaw hung slack as he gawped in shock at the angel, now sitting upright and staring directly into his eyes.

.Yes, yes. You're very confused. That's fine. Look, I'm talking to you with my mind, alright? My kind rarely communicate by voice.

"Can you read my mind?"

.What? No. You have to think the words you want to say. Go on, try it.

.Hello?.

.Hello Ulver. Would you mind letting me go?.

.I...uh, I need answers.

.You aren't ready for answers.

.But if I don't get them, it will mean trouble for me and for you. We will likely be executed.

The angel sighed audibly, or did he think it? Ulver couldn't quite tell.

.I can give you answers, but I can guarantee that you or your Order won't appreciate them very much.

.I'd like them all the same.

.Very well. I am Auirin. I come the planet Sirlev VI, the second seat of power of the Arcurian Hegemony. I got here on a ship that travels between the stars. I am aware of no prophecies written by your kind. I know not of any deity of which you speak. I do know Alaem and Alaer, but only through tales and that is also how I found myself here. Does that cover everything?.

.Um...are you a herald of their return?.

.A herald?. and at that the angel audibly laughed, a dry, coarse laugh like rustling parchment.

.No, I'm a criminal. On the run, you see. I made for the remotest system I could think of and where better to hide than in a fable?.

.A fable?. Ulver asked, thoroughly confused.

.Well, legend perhaps. You see, no one knows you actually exist. The story goes that Alaem and Alaer were brothers, sons to a wealthy and powerful lord in the Hegemony. They despised one another but, as everyone knows, it's the worst kind of luck to kill your kin. So they competed constantly, making wagers and challenges to fuel their hatred and keep themselves amused. Their grandest wager took place on a planetary scale and, with the aid of some outrageously expensive terraforming, the greatest geneticists of their time were paid to create new life on a lifeless planet. That is how your people came to be.

"You have got to be joking" Ulver said out loud, almost angry at the ridiculousness of the angel's claims.

.I knew you'd never understand. Oh well. Anyway, this whole planet was used as their battleground. But it wasn't they who did the fighting, it was you. They ruled here, lorded it over your ancestors and bent them to their will. They must have seemed like gods and I guess that's what Alaem & Alaer were posing as. Eventually, after they grew tired of their endless war, they left in search of new playthings, went back to the Hegemony and told tall tales about the planet they had spawned where they were worshipped as gods. That was countless cycles ago and, as I said, no one knew if this place even existed. But I found the location and kept it secret in case I were ever in need of a good hiding spot.

.No one will ever believe this.

.I know, right? You can see why I didn't say anything. I've been half expecting a Spectre cruiser to show up in orbit and take me back in chains, but I guess this place really is a good hiding spot.

.A Spectre?.

.You know, Law bringers? Thief catchers?. Anyway, what happened around here since your gods left?.

.Not gods, angels. The two sides that worshipped them fought bitterly for centuries, but eventually peace was brought to the land by the Grand Order, of which I count myself as a member. We believed that neither Alaem or Alaer were gods, but that they were only tools of the One True God's creation. The scriptures say that God found them wanting for the way they had pitted brother against brother and recalled them to the heavens. Prophecy says that, one day, an angel will arrive on wings of fire, heralding Alaem & Alaer's return to rule the land side by side.

.Ah. Well, it seems my explanation of events are going to leave your Order rather displeased.

.Quite. Well, what do we do now?.

.Seeing as it doesn't look like I'm going anywhere and that you'll be in just as much trouble if the right answers aren't forthcoming, I suggest...we lie.

.Lie?.

.Yes, you know, deception, fiction, intrigue. Tell me, what else do these prophecies prophecise?.

GRW810

Whose decision is it when the challenge closes for submissions? I'm still hoping to get mine in today but in the interests of fairness I wanted to have some sort of idea.

Ashes

Banned
Whose decision is it when the challenge closes for submissions? I'm still hoping to get mine in today but in the interests of fairness I wanted to have some sort of idea.

I'm working on mine too. please don't close it op. the final decision is yours.

Scribble

I'm trying to edit into the early hours of the PST morning too. I don't mind if it's refused. I'm just happy to get something out =X

GRW810

Given my biggest flaw in life it's no surprise my debut challenge will see me submit late.

I've now submitted my story, stupidly late. Shall we say another hour for submissions? Can only apologise for this tardiness.

Some crits. It's time to go out and work on my hangover so I'll finish the rest and post my voting tomorrow:

Tangent-For Ice Cream

Too much description of jumping. Keep pace in mind. The boring stuff like going home from shopping you want to describe very briefly. Save your word count for the bits important to the story. It really succeeded in getting me to want to keep reading to unravel the mystery of the game’s consequences and I was satisfied with where the story ended up. Some awkward phrasing(I’d cut and paste but can’t seem to do it from the link but the whole “father of four years” sentence would be a prime example) here and there but the writing overall is solid. Biggest gripe I have with the story is that I don’t buy the father’s reasoning for giving in and buying the game. You need something stronger than, “well, it was going to happen eventually.” Solid entry.

Mike M-Niseag

Phrenic? Nothing seems to happen until almost the end of the first page. You need to start your story with something that kicks events into motion and makes the reader want to continue then you can describe to your heart’s content; although, you are doing too much of that too in my opinion. Well written descriptions, at least. Stop using adverbs so much. My personal rule is to only use them when the action being done by the character is being done in a manner that is very different from what the reader would picture i.e. he ran slowly, he petted the dog violently. Something like “examine, who did so meticulously” does not need the meticulous part because examine already implies that. Also, the description you give immediately after makes it clear that he did a thorough job. Now, if you had written “examined quickly/carelessly/negligently” you’d be okay but then you’re better off putting something like scanned/skimmed instead anyway. Monsters and Loch Ness, now we’re talking but I wish this came up sooner. Well written prose. Good descriptions. A few typos, here and there. Another solid entry.

Scribble-Sonic The Hedgehog: A Fan’s Fiction

I’m not going to lie: After Act One I skimmed through and would skip entire paragraphs. I’m guessing you were intentionally trying to mock bad fan fiction? Why? Fan fiction already exists to be mocked so I don’t see the point. Poor effort.

tirminyl-Melody of Suprise

Holy melodrama with those poorly written descriptions. Real people don’t talk like this. It’s continuing and getting worse so I’m guessing it’s intentional? Why are you quoting her thoughts and then ambiguously following with dialogue immediately after? I’m getting hella confused about what’s internal monologue and what’s awkward conversation. Hell, I’m just hella confused in general here. Poor effort.

Zeroray, I can follow up with you if you finish.

joshcryer-Couldn’t bother to title it

You do this a lot: start main point, aside, finish main point. Use this device sparingly. You
want your main point to be front and centre rather than constantly interrupted. The entire piece is mostly telling instead of showing. Bad. Also, I think you misinterpreted the secondary objective as the main prompt(don’t worry, so did I). Mediocre effort(to avoid ambiguity, that’s better than poor)

Bootay-The Grandest Wager

Needs a stronger opening. I don’t like the fact that you point out that the angel is so similar in form and then go straight on to describing how the Angel is more than human. Gawped or gaped? Not sure if the angel’s tone is irreverent/common on purpose, but I don’t like it(came back to this after reading and I get it and like it now as foreshadowing of future revelations). I said last time that I don’t like fantasy(and most sci-fi) in short story form last time and the reason for that is because they require too much of the word count to be used for world building. This is a prime example. If you’re doing these contests to practice and get feedback on your writing for a longer fantasy project, I would suggest dropping the fantasy aspect and just doing non-genre fiction and saving your ideas for your real work. You’ll still improve your writing and you’ll actually be able to spend more of your time/word count on the actual craft. All that being said, your prose is good and I really like the premise. I would read a novel based on this idea. Solid entry but just barely.

Mike M

Nick N
Not sure if the angel’s tone is irreverent/common on purpose, but I don’t like it(came back to this after reading and I get it and like it now as foreshadowing of future revelations).

Yeah, I had intended for the irreverent tone of the dialogue to help with the fact that I was spewing a lot of information in a relatively short amount of space, which, as you point out, is a drawback of doing a genre piece in short story form.

Steriletom said:
If you’re doing these contests to practice and get feedback on your writing for a longer fantasy project, I would suggest dropping the fantasy aspect and just doing non-genre fiction and saving your ideas for your real work. You’ll still improve your writing and you’ll actually be able to spend more of your time/word count on the actual craft.

I honestly find it tough to write non-genre stuff, a generic fantasy world is always my go to setting, especially when I find myself stuck for an idea. I really should try to get out of my comfort zone more often in these challenges, but I typically leave everything to the last minute and fall back on fantasy. Thanks for the comments, much appreciated :)

GRW810

Thanks Mike M, I came here to compile that list myself. Saved me the hassle!

Will be reading these entries tomorrow and feedback will be offered.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
The title was "What was God do?" I literally copy-pasted it at the last minute and it lost the titling formating in Word. For some reason I didn't realize "The Game" was the theme of the entry, so I won't even be voting so I'll be self-disqualified.

Mike M

Nick N
The title was "What was God do?" I literally copy-pasted it at the last minute and it lost the titling formating in Word.

Corrected accordingly.

For some reason I didn't realize "The Game" was the theme of the entry, so I won't even be voting so I'll be self-disqualified.

Pht. Don't let something like that stop you.

Cyan

Banned
The title was "What was God do?" I literally copy-pasted it at the last minute and it lost the titling formating in Word. For some reason I didn't realize "The Game" was the theme of the entry, so I won't even be voting so I'll be self-disqualified.
no1curr. Seriously, don't even worry about it.

GRW810

Huh, getting a 403 error on this one. Sure it's in your Public folder?
It said it was in the folder and being the n00b I am I always check on my wife's laptop that I can open it. I'll investigate but I'm not great at troubleshooting so I'll try to sort something out.

EDIT: I'm getting the error message to now, no idea what the problem is. I'll investigate.

GRW810

Had a problem with my link before, so here is my story again. Hope it works this time:

Cat and Mouse - 2000 words

Mike M, could you edit that link into your list? Just in case anyone tries to access from there. Cheers.

Mike M

Nick N
Had a problem with my link before, so here is my story again. Hope it works this time:

Cat and Mouse - 2000 words

Mike M, could you edit that link into your list? Just in case anyone tries to access from there. Cheers.

Done and done.

I think it’s interesting how the examples given in the OP for the secondary objective were essentially making up new brand names that don’t exist in the real world, but almost everyone went waaaaaay beyond that.

Steriletom -- Blow: Heh, you got me on this one. Nice bit of redirection and playing with expectations. One thing that stuck out at me was the mention of the "riplock" which I assume is either what the fictional world you devised calls a zipper or is somehow analogous to them. If it was somehow different, I'd have invested at least part of a sentence explaining it. If it was the same, I'd have just called it a zipper : ) Most everything else had enough for the reader to pick up on their own without belaboring explanations, which kept things moving along. Though if Reynold was hung up on the brand name issue, you'd think it'd be capitalized in his dialog. Just a small detail I think would have helped sell it.

tangent -- “For Ice Cream”: Well that was dark... While you fulfilled the objectives admirably, I think the one weak point is that ultimately Henry is reluctant and questions the purpose of the ritual, yet he’s the one that caved and bought the game for the kids in the first place. When viewed through the knowledge of what’s to come, the decision that he would ever purchase the game at all is a tough sell. Also, presumably Henry and Sarah underwent the same thing when they were children, I’d like to have seen something bridging between their attitudes on the matter between then and now, i.e. at what point did they start to question whether this was a wise practice?

Mike M -- Niseag: Went with the fourth definition of “game” in an attempt to be clever : P I was really chafing under the word limit on this one, I actually have a pretty detailed biology in my mind that I didn’t really get to explore. Ultimately it’s not really relevant to the story, so it’s not really of any consequence, but they’re aquatic giraffids. I kind of like the world that popped into my head when I thought this concept up, but I don’t know how much there is to explore. I did some cursory research on the subject, but McElroy being a Canadian transplant is borne solely out of the fact that I have no idea how a Scotsman would talk. Really wish I had more words to spare on the encounter towards the end, as I feel that was super rushed.

Scribble -- Sonic the Hedgehog: A Fan's Fiction: A chilling glimpse into the inner workings of the minds of Sonic fans! Heh heh. A mix of things going on in this one, but I felt like it was perhaps a bit too scattershot. The notion that Sonic has been entrapped in a Badnik the entire time and that the games were just simulations to keep him occupied was a good one, that the Badnik is the TV you're playing it on is a logical extension. The trip back through the vacant level almost seemed like you were going in a "cursed game" creepypasta, right up to the Samara-esque exit from the TV screen. But then it was just average 3rd grade wish-fulfillment creative writing assignment that seemed largely unrelated with what had previously transpired. Seems like it's missing something to just tie it all together.

tirminyl -- Melody of Surprise: Wow, the “Audiobook” rendition was a decidedly unexpected surprise. Kudos on the experimentation, I think it paid out pretty well. It’s short, but I would imagine it’d be difficult to keep it up for prolonged period. I may have to think about shamelessly copy the audiobook thing and do a dramatic reading myself someday.

joshcryer -- Untitled: I would recommend something other than Pastebin going forward, it was a little difficult to read from the way it was formatted. I also saw a bunch of homophones and incorrect possessive vs. plural words (“shown” instead of “shone,” “cities” instead of the possessive case, “low” instead of “lo,” etc.). Honestly I think this one could use a bit of work, as I’m not quite even sure I understood what happened here. It seems like you were insinuating that there was some sort of inherent distrust between the throne and the church, but the whole thing is prefaced with an explanation that the Church doesn’t really seem to care that the King will on occasion have some sort of lingerie parade. I was also thrown off by your usage of the term “shepard” in such close juxtaposition with the mention of God and affairs of the church, as my mind kept coming back to thinking in terms of “shepherds of men” as associated with leaders of religion, but in this case they weren’t working for the church at all. State vs. religion is always fertile ground for conflict, I wish we could have gotten more mileage out of it.

Bootaaay -- The Grandest Wager: I think the focus was misplaced on this one. If the hook of the story was that the captive “angel” and Ulver were forced into falsifying the fulfillment of prophecy to save their mutual hides, you could have been onto something. You may yet be onto something, if this were the start of a longer story. As a stand-alone piece, however, I think it ends too abruptly, and just when it’s starting to get interesting too. Maybe trim down the exposition and draw it out further as the two concoct a way to bamboozle Ulver’s civilization. Just spitballing here.

Cyan -- The War Party: Is the “like our world but slightly different” part in your world where Hasbro doesn’t own Milton Bradley? Well that and the literal manifestation of corporate warfare as viking raiding parties. The descriptions of the tactics and actions of combat were done very well, but the whole time my brain was wanting to envision this as something out of Gangs of New York so the occasional reference to something decidedly contemporary and modern would briefly throw me. This is a world in which the internal combustion engine exists, yet no one is using anything that doesn’t predate gunpowder by centuries. MY MIND!

Ashes1396 -- the trees that god built: I think this would have been an easier read if the order of events were structured differently. We start off and end in the kitchen, but in the interim we’re doing a flashback within a flashback, and then maybe another unrelated flashback, or perhaps yet another nested flashback. It’s all in chronological order outside the bookends at least, but you probably could have taken the opening before the first flashback and worked it in towards the end. The main character seemed weirdly emotionless outside his perception of summer weather, and I’m not sure I understand his father’s motivations. He seems pretty broken up about the death of his wife, yet at the same time apparently doesn’t care for her that much. Good stuff, but could use some tuning.

GRW810 -- Cat and Mouse: Really reminiscent of the premise for Mad World. This story was really crippled by the word count, as there were a bajillion questions that remained unanswered. What was the background between Harriet, Jared, and Tyler that set this whole thing up? What possible arrangement could Tyler have made with Brad (and for that matter, the team of brothers mentioned) that would have compelled him to enter a fight to death with him? Why did Ava betray Tyler? Presumably the Mahoney Act is what allows for the Purge? What was the impetus for banning seemingly all other forms of entertainment? There’s nothing wrong with some things being left to the imagination or allowing the reader to fill in the gaps on their own, I just found that the gaps were too large with not enough information to do so. The actual writing was solid, with some natural-sounding dialog and good quips. Nice work.

My votes:

1. Cyan
2. tangent
3. GRW810

HM: tirminyl

GRW810

I'm currently reading through the stories, will have my votes cast tomorrow morning UK time so don't close the polls without me.

Cyan-The War Party

This was great. Nothing I would personally change. Well written, great concept, and kept me wanting to continue reading until the end. Solid entry.

Ashes1396-The trees that god built.

I like the style you employed. The time and setting jumps are a bit too ambitious, though, leaving to confusion at times and disinterest at other points. Some of the dialogue is very unnatural. Mediocre effort.

GRW810-Cat and Mouse

Same issue as Bootay—too many words used up on world building. You’re also telling instead of showing a lot before you get to the point where it’s all action going forward. I would like to have seen the nature of the family’s poisonous relationship explained a little more. Well written, though. Solid entry.

1. Cyan
2. Tangent
3. Mike M

1. Mike M - very well written, I really liked how you call back to painting the boat with the last line, emphasising that what was a remarkable event was merely routine to the Captain. I felt you could have perhaps spent a bit more time with the hunter character, especially after his encounter with the monster.

2. Cyan - I absolutely adore this concept and it's a great read, too. The action scenes were enjoyable and very tightly written, but I felt that the whole blood feud with the gangster was a bit of an unnecessary twist to the story. The same 'hopeless battle, glorious fate' ending could have been achieved in the raid upon Hasbro itself.

3. GRW810 - I really enjoyed this, but the word count wasn't your friend here. I would have definitely liked to see more time spent on Tyler's family problems and, while I very much like the concept of the story and the world you portray, because of it the action towards the end feels rushed. Also, neither Ava's introduction or betrayal felt entirely natural, as if she was there only as a means to an end.

HM; Ashes - well written with a really strong tone, my only real complaints with this were that we didn't get more detail into the father's feelings towards his wife and that the narrative felt somewhat jumpy in places. Great stuff, nonetheless.

GRW810

Got my days wrong, realised the voting deadline is tonight. Gives me more time to read the last few and get to work on feedback.

GRW810

Feedback coming tomorrow (can't type too much right now), but my votes are as follows:

1. Cyan - The War Party
2. Tangent - For Ice Cream
3. Mike M - Niseag

HMs: Ashes, Bootaaay, Steriletom

Cyan

Banned
Steriletom - "Blow" - I lol'd. Clever use of the secondary there, I thought for sure the difference was something else. ;) You could've made it even a little crazier if there'd been a policeman or something, but you did keep it going nicely.

Tangent - "For Ice Cream" - Well, that was... definitely not cute! I liked the way you raised the tension and weirdness over the course of the story--it started off weird, elevated to really weird, went to awful, and then to terrifying. I think the exposition about turn-taking probably wasn't needed--at least, it didn't help me understand what was going on. ;)

Mike M - "Niseag"
- Great opening. In fact, about halfway or a little more through the story, I had the odd sensation of being at the very start of a much longer story. I don't know why, but I feel like this is a great candidate for expanding, maybe twofold, for some further trials and tribulations and explorations of the setting and characters.

Scribble - "Sonic the Hedgehog: A Fan's Fiction" - I don't even understand what's going ooooooooonnnnnnn. So it was funny, and I like the whole "zomg inside a simulation" thing (I've done that one in my own stories!), but I'm not sure it really had a clear throughline. Like, what was the point of the last bit? Or was the whole thing just pure parody, and that was to make it explicit?

tirminyl - "Melody of Surprise" - Short but sweet! I do like a nice brief piece once in a while. This one is good at conveying a story in very few words. I get that the rhymes were for the secondary, but I'm not sure how much they helped the story--I think they were a bit too distracting. I did kind of wonder how using rhymes all the time would affect the world, like do people speak less because it's hard to think of rhymes, or is it so instinctive they just spit flow like there's no tomorrow.

joshcryer - "What does God do?" - Ha! Nifty. I like the world you've started to put together here--it feels somewhat modern, with the attitude of the shepherd, but involves kings and beggars and bishops and so on. I think it could've done with a little bit of cleanup; the prose is a bit raw. And the ending felt abrupt. But it was fun!

tirminyl

1. Tangent: For Ice Cream - This turned from something cute to something dark. Were you inspired by Hunger Games? I only asked because of the teachers name pronounciation and a few other things. Oh gosh, how depressing. What if the kids piece went down the chute? What are the game rules? Was this required? Why would they buy a game knowing the consequences? My only problem was the fathers attitude towards it didn't really have a great explanation besides "gonna happen anyway." Great story.

2. Cyan: Cold War Party - I thought it was a great sense of imagery and world that was built. I would definitely like to read more of it. The concept of corporate warfare in a literal sense is fantastic.

3. Mike M: Niseag - I would have loved to read more if it were not for the word count. I really enjoyed this little tale but I must say, the imagery I had of the monster looking at Dunbario made me hoped that Dunbario would not shoot it. I think this was very well written and flushed out the characters and environment to where it needed to be.

I will update this post with the other comments tomorrow.

Cyan

Banned
Bootaaay - "The Grandest Wager" - Great setup, and an interesting mingling of scifi and fantasy. I guess my main complaint here is that there's no "now" story. The criminal's story is in the past, of an escape. Ulver's story is mostly in the past, as he found the man and tried all kinds of things to get him to talk. And then... he just talks. We don't get the triumph of success, because Ulver didn't do anything to earn it. The guy just started talking out of the blue. Add some way that Ulver can do something and it'd work.

Ashes1396 - "the trees that god built." - You always get me with your damn mood pieces. Love the theme here, the sort of thread that carries it through. Wish I could capture the simple moments like you can. ;) One possible change would be to make it a bit more clear when you're transitioning from mother to sweetheart to daughter... though that lack of clarity might itself be thematic.

GRW810 - "Cat and Mouse"
- A cool setting and plot. I enjoyed the action sequences and the main dude's POV. I found the introduction of the thing with his daughter a bit abrupt, but I suppose it's hard to introduce everything you need to so quickly. The ending slightly confused me--why did no one shoot the guy? There was no real reason for them to wait, except to set up the situation at the end where the guy got away and named Tyler.

Votes:
1. Ashes1396 - "the trees that god built."
2. Mike M - "Niseag"
3. Bootaaay - "The Grandest Wager"

HM: GRW810

Tangent

Votes:
1. GRW810
2. MikeM
3. Cyan
HM: Ashes, Bootaaaaaaay

Sorry for the lack of actual feedback. Gotta get to bed! Happy Passover to anyone who celebrates.

I know I shouldn't say anything...and it doesn't really matter and I'm being silly and overreacting and everybody will probably want to throw rocks at me or shove me with a sharp stick.

But the whole collaboration thing kind of killed my hype for competing. I'm sorry people took the time to read what I wrote last comp, because my heart wasn't in it. I don't want to do the same thing again this time.

Hey Toddhunter, thanks for the heads up. I thought it'd be good to practice what I thought might be a very important step in learning about writing: editing! Though you have a very good point - maybe it's best to find someone outside of the writing challenge to help in editing, or just edit my own stuff. But really, I think I just got lucky that one time before where I hadn't procrastinated until minutes before our stories were due to actually exchange stories before the deadline. Like MikeM said, it wouldn't happen again. Thanks for pointing out your thoughts on this.

Mike M

Nick N
Wow, this was a close one. Narrowest spread I've seen yet.

1st: Cyan, The War Party (16pts)
2nd: Mike M, Niseag (13pts)
3rd: tangent, "For Ice Cream" (12pts)

All hail your red-named moderator overlord!

Nezumi

Damn. I totally forgot to vote even though I started reading the entries :( Ah well. Congratulations Cyan. Hopefully I can come up with something for the next challenge.

GRW810

Congratulations Cyan. Fantastic story, well deserved.

In hindsight I feel like I let you guys down with the objectives. I spent so long trying to think of something and now I feel like I could have come up with something better. Looking forward to getting cracking on the next story.

I've got feedback coming for everyone, hopefully today.

Cyan

Banned
Congratulations Cyan. Fantastic story, well deserved.

In hindsight I feel like I let you guys down with the objectives. I spent so long trying to think of something and now I feel like I could have come up with something better. Looking forward to getting cracking on the next story.

I've got feedback coming for everyone, hopefully today.

Haha, what the hell are you talking about, dude? I've spent ages trying to think up objectives as good as these. The secondary especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom