• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #117 - "In the Shadows"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "In the Shadows"

Word Limit: 3000

Submission Deadline: Sunday, April 7th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Monday, April 8th, and goes until Wednesday, April 9th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: poetic justice

Virtue ultimately rewarded, or vice punished, by an ironic twist of fate related to the character's own conduct.

See examples here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetic_justice

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Okay, I am going to try and do this this time. I keep telling myself I am going to try one, and then I don't, so maybe posting that I am will make me more committed. /crosses fingers

Nezumi

Uhh. That is a nice theme. So many ideas swirling around my head. *reads secondary* hmm... very specific but could be fun.
Yeah 3000 words, I bet I still have trouble keeping it though :)

GRW810

Uhh. That is a nice theme. So many ideas swirling around my head. *reads secondary* hmm... very specific but could be fun.
Yeah 3000 words, I bet I still have trouble keeping it though :)
Shame you didn't submit anything for the challenge just passed, I like your writing.

Cyan

Banned
Okay, I am going to try and do this this time. I keep telling myself I am going to try one, and then I don't, so maybe posting that I am will make me more committed. /crosses fingers

Hooray!

It definitely is specific, but do remember that it's optional. If it doesn't fit with your story, you can just ignore it. ;)

Nezumi

Shame you didn't submit anything for the challenge just passed, I like your writing.

I know I felt a bit bad about it. But for some reason it took me way to long to come up with an idea (and no, that had nothing to do with your theme, my brain just wasn't in creative mode) and when the day deadline came up it hadn't simmered long enough for me being able to write it down. I'm strange that way.

Great theme Cyan, and congrats on your win :)

This time I'm gonna try and complete a story within the first week, rather than leave it to the last minute as always.

Cyan

Banned
I still don't understand where Scribble was aiming with that. Scribble is an awesome writer, it is known.

Mike M

Nick N
Sonic fan fiction is impossible to satirize, you can't possibly stake out a place more strange, silly, and/or stupid that the real deal has not already gone.

GRW810

I still don't understand where Scribble was aiming with that. Scribble is an awesome writer, it is known.
Being rather new round here I didn't know that. This info adds a whole new level of confusion about the submission.

Cyan

Banned
Being rather new round here I didn't know that. This info adds a whole new level of confusion about the submission.

Well, it's been a long time since he was a regular. Shows up once in a blue moon, these days. I always loved this one of his: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14744597&postcount=157

As for fanfic, we actually had a topic where that was the theme, a while back. It was a lot of fun; maybe we should do it again some day.

Or maybe not. ;)

A germ of an idea has finally sprouted in my head, so I'm in. Fuck yourselves if you think you're getting three thousand words out of me, though.

Mike M

Nick N
Apologies in advance, but I totally feel like I phoned this one in, and I don't think waiting until the deadline to keep revising it is going to save it : /

Not even sure what the word count is, but it's way under.

Boeing Woes
(Usual password)

I've been reading so much Culture stuff lately, so the Banks news is pretty awful.
Was planning on writing another sci-fi story, with the Culture-series and Iain Banks as inspiration.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Been kinda busy with university work. Or more accurately, been busy procrastinating and thus a guilty conscience has kept me from concentrating on anything else.

Nezumi

Oh, deadline closing in already. Better get some writing done. Don't want my idea to go to waste, even though I'm not sure yet how it will work out.

Cyan

Banned
Oh, deadline closing in already. Better get some writing done. Don't want my idea to go to waste, even though I'm not sure yet how it will work out.

Yep, we're running out of tiiiiiime!

I've got a notion for this one, but it's not quite developed yet.

GRW810

Been busy planning an upcoming house move. Had the theme at the back of my mind but nothing has jumped out at me. I have the whole evening to myself seeing as my wife and daughter are asleep but I don't want to keep rushing a one-draft entry each and every time. I need to find time to properly work on these challenges.

Weighing up at this very moment whether to rush a story or skip this one and treat missing out as an incentive to sort out my schedule in the future.

Ashes

Banned
You should write this time. That way you set a base camp for a good habit to emerge out of.
Work>excuses :p

Nezumi

Weighing up at this very moment whether to rush a story or skip this one and treat missing out as an incentive to sort out my schedule in the future.

Trust me, this is not going to happen. I had some similar thoughts last time when I did not participate. Now look at me sitting here in the last hours and desperatly write my story. Just write something. Just take one of the ideas that you did not like or thought to be unoriginal or what ever and just write that down. Sometimes the ideas come with the pressure :)

Cyan

Banned
Been busy planning an upcoming house move. Had the theme at the back of my mind but nothing has jumped out at me. I have the whole evening to myself seeing as my wife and daughter are asleep but I don't want to keep rushing a one-draft entry each and every time. I need to find time to properly work on these challenges.

Rush that one-draft, dawg!

Going wonderfully slow, as usual. Already doubting that 3000 will be enough. I'll probably write some rushed ending and (hopefully) expand on it later.

Nezumi

Ugh, not making much progress and it is close to 2am over here and I'm tired. I really want to finish it but I fear that even if I stay up late now, I still won't be able to do so. So I guess I just go to bed instead and get up early tomorrow to finish it. Not sure if I can make the deadline though... but I'll try not to go over too much, I promise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom