• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: Camp NaNoWriMo April 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013-Participant-Facebook-Cover.png

http://campnanowrimo.org/

It might be a little bit late, but I'm doing this and if you are reading the thread, chances are you are too.

What is Camp NaNoWriMo? Well it is like the usual November NaNoWriMo which is a challenge to write a 50k novel in a month. How is it different? Well it is in April for a start, but you also get virtual cabin mates to write with.

Importantly: This contest also supports variable targets. Want to write a 10k word My little pony x Snorks live action movie script? Firstly stop stealing my ideas and secondly yes you can. You don't have to do the whole 50k or even a novel.

This whole "camping theme" means you are assigned a cabin of half a dozen or so people (randomly or with people matching age or interest preferences) and you can talk to them and update them on your progress through the website as the challenge continues. Could you just ignore them and use this thread? Well of course you can.

If you are participating and want to share your stats? Please post here and we'll all get through this together. I haven't planned to do the whole "leaderboard" thing, but if people are into it, I'll get it going.

Camping Faq

• Do I actually have to go to a camp somewhere?: Nah it is just an online virtual chat room for your cabin
  • Can't I just do this in November?: Yes but that is always difficult to do in April
  • Heck it is too late, why didn't you put this thread up earlier so I could prepare? Yeah sorry about that. But the good news is it is on again in July! So at the very least this thread might raise awareness

Too much of an effort but want to write? Check out Gaf's writing challenges: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530157

Shamelessly stolen from Cyan's last Nano thread (I know he wont mind because that is just the type of guy he is):

Useful tools:
Software:
Scrivener: a word processor that incorporates scene and character notes, outlines, research documents, and more. Get a free trial through December for NaNo.
Q10: an alternative word processor which removes all distractions, helping you focus on your work.
Write or Die: start writing in a text box. And don't stop... or else. Give it a try, very motivating. (click the "web app" button for the online version)
Sites:
Snowflake Method: a highly recommended system that helps you get from single-sentence plot to detailed outline. I have used this several times and it was instrumental in my actually completing my novels.
Adoptions: on the NaNo forums, it's traditional to leave some ideas that other people can pick up and run with. Adopt-a-plot, adopt-an-opening-line, adopt a title, and many more!
NaNo Sprints: start your engines! Get off to the races with some NaNo sprints, where you compete with other NaNoers to write a bunch of words in a short interval. Also on Twitter.
Backwards NaNo: a slightly different way of managing your word count. It's amortized! That means for the first two weeks, you're writing a lot more than everyone else. But by the last day, you only have to write a single word! (I might give this a try this year)
Other:
How to Get and Develop Killer Story Ideas: Youtube video of a con lecture. Does what it says on the tin.
No Plot? No Problem: a book by the site's founder, intended as an aid for completing your novel and getting through the month.

FAQ:
The internets are broken?
No, the site is just getting hammered. This happens every year.

How do I write 50k words?
One at a time. Seriously though, if you can keep up with the benchmark (1,667 a day) you're golden. If you can't, don't panic, just set aside a weekend day or days to play catchup.

Any other strategies?
If you can, aim for 2000 a day rather than just keeping pace with the benchmark. This leaves you some elbow room for a few bad days later on in the month, which is a huge help. Also, try the sprints and word wars!

How do I update my word count?
They don't have very good grouping features on the site, so we just use the OP to keep up to date. If you want your word count updated, post your final word count for the day in this thread. I'll try to update the leaderboard in this post daily, most likely in the morning.

Is there any reason to actually sign up on the site itself?
Yes! First of all, you can have your novel officially validated by the site (copy/paste from your word processor into their word counter). This lets you officially win, and gets you congratulations and all sorts of fame and glory. Second, by signing up, you will get "pep talk" emails each week from famous authors. This year, that list includes Nick Hornby, Scott Westerfeld, and Kate DiCamillo.

Does my story have to be an original work of genius?
No. It's whatever you want to write. So write Brony/Thundercats crossover fic to your heart's content.

Can I/Do I have to share a synopsis or excerpts?
You don't have to do anything in this thread except update your word count if you want to be on the leaderboard in the OP. But if you want to share any of your writing, or your plot, or your totally awesome characters, please do so! It adds to the fun.

Prizes!

• Fame and/or glory (really should only choose one so as not to be greedy)
  • 50% off Scrivener for all Camp NaNoWriMo winners, and 20% off for all participants
  • 25% off Storyist for Mac and iPad

Sample cabin action. Will we be best mates by the end of camp? Will love bloom? This seems unlikely. Still it is quite fun:

Note the variable goals and attack of the dreaded privacy keeping black camping worms.

Delio

Oh this is starting? I wont be entering officially but I will be writing through this month. Hopefully everyone that tries gets through it.

Ought to mention that Camp is also open to scripts and other stuff instead of just novels unlike November and therefore also supports variable targets.

BeesEight

No way!

I'd decided to do a 90k novel this month and use NaNo to track my progress. It's nice how this all works out.

(I still have 1k to write today and I really shouldn't be procrastinating on Gaf.)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
To do this, or not to do this... I'm not really prepared this month, might have to wait til June's go-round if I want to have a more proper setup.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm totally going to do this!

In November. This time around I'll just use it as motivation to chart out and flesh out something for then. Otherwise I'd never get anything researched : )

I'll probably check this out later on this week depending on how heavy the workload is for this upcoming quarter. Definitely seems like it'd be a load of fun. Subbing to this thread for sure.

Ceebs

Kinda off topic, but I am bummed they killed off ScriptFrenzy. Was saving an idea for that one. Oh well guess I should probably just write it anyway.

Nice work, todd. I'm still working on my November NaNoWriMo entry, but I support this thread!

Gooooooooo, writers!

That Gaf celebrity endorsement ;)

Everything is set up. Now to start transcribing and writing oh boy!

Great stuff, be sure to let us know how you are going.

I've just hit over 6k myself which is a solid enough start. This time around I'm actually attempting to write a novel with a story, an ironically new concept for me and it is going much more smoothly than the arty/pretentious drivel I normally churn out. So far so good.

Ashes

Banned
I wanted to write an extended short-story/novella anyway, so I'm in for >10k. My guess is 5k
Wk1 : planning
Wk2: writing
Wk3: rest.
Wk4: revision.

That Gaf celebrity endorsement ;)

Great stuff, be sure to let us know how you are going.

I've just hit over 6k myself which is a solid enough start. This time around I'm actually attempting to write a novel with a story, an ironically new concept for me and it is going much more smoothly than the arty/pretentious drivel I normally churn out. So far so good.

I can't really write on the computer (I get distracted too easily), so I've been writing on paper.

Aaron

Randomly started a new novel around this time, but I already have 10k of a dark fantasy that's my own interpretation of the traditional fantasy races. Three point of view characters, and very likely a story that one novel won't be able to contain. One day I'd like to write a standalone book, but I don't seem capable of it.

Spent the last few hours researching sikhism for a character. Progress is much slower when you are not just making shit up :|

Going for that double post bump, but whatever.

Just passed the half way mark for my time zone at least. Anybody else still hacking away? I've got just over 30k words down but I'm now hitting the wall a bit. I'm sure I'll finish up though, if not just for stubbornness.

The whole "camp" thing hasn't really been a big hit. Of the five other people assigned to my cabin, only one other has really posted any updates and none of them have made any significant progress since day one. I suppose that is the luck of the draw, but it is also a bit of a shame. They all seemed to have interesting ideas and I was looking forward to watching them develop.

But I guess there is always next time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Going for that double post bump, but whatever.

Just passed the half way mark for my time zone at least. Anybody else still hacking away? I've got just over 30k words down but I'm now hitting the wall a bit. I'm sure I'll finish up though, if not just for stubbornness.

The whole "camp" thing hasn't really been a big hit. Of the five other people assigned to my cabin, only one other has really posted any updates and none of them have made any significant progress since day one. I suppose that is the luck of the draw, but it is also a bit of a shame. They all seemed to have interesting ideas and I was looking forward to watching them develop.

But I guess there is always next time.

Well, it certainly doesn't help that it wasn't advertised. Never knew they did an April thing.

bengraven

Wait wait, what is this!?

How did...that's not even fair that I wasn't made aware of this.

Maybe I can write 10k by the 31st but I fucking doubt it.

(lying, I totally can)

Just chalked up 50k :) Probably about 10k left on the draft but I'm happy for now.

I'll try to put up a thread a lot earlier for the next one starting July 1.

Mike M

Nick N
Just chalked up 50k :) Probably about 10k left on the draft but I'm happy for now.

I'll try to put up a thread a lot earlier for the next one starting July 1.
Nice work, dude.

How many times a year do they do this? Seems kinda weird to have a National Novel Writing Month three times a year...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Can you guys explain to me the appeal of NaNoWriMo? I think it's generally harmful since instead of being allowed to cultivate what you write, you simply "write for writing sake". It's not even helping against procrastination.

Can you guys explain to me the appeal of NaNoWriMo? I think it's generally harmful since instead of being allowed to cultivate what you write, you simply "write for writing sake". It's not even helping against procrastination.

It helps against procrastination. It isn't something you could just do yourself but... well I don't.

Nice work, dude.

How many times a year do they do this? Seems kinda weird to have a National Novel Writing Month three times a year...

Seems like it is three times now with the main one still in November. I guess they just wanted a more consistent revenue/donation stream to keep them going through the year.

Mike M

Nick N
National Novel Writing Month certainly sounds better than National Novel Writing Quarter Spread Out Over the Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom