• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksteady hiring programmers w/ networking experience [& QA for multiplayer testing]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

SENIOR QA TESTER

Rocksteady Studios is looking to hire a full time senior tester on temporary contract with the potential to extend. We are looking for a seasoned Quality Assurance professional.

Job description:

Ensure that all problems and bugs recorded are done so in an efficient and informative manner in keeping with the standard required f or Rocksteady QA reports.
To communicate to all levels within the Rocksteady team.
Use investigative skills to find problems, whilst continuing to complete tasks set by the Team Lead.
Write up bug reports to the standard required by Rocksteady. This includes using correct naming conventions and displaying a concise style of writing whilst ensuring that all the necessary information (what the bug is and how to recreate it) is contained within the report.
Also assist other testers in developing their bug report writing and testing skills where necessary.
Will be required to create and execute various test plans during a test cycle
Ensure that all tasks are carried out efficiently and all instructions are followed accurately.
Provide Assistance where necessary to the Lead, and assist test team with group-based testing (e.g. multiplayer test).
Provide suggestions for improvements, for testing strategies and processes.
Deputise in the absence of Lead when necessary to ensure testing takes place accordingly.
Provide information on resource requirements to the Team Lead when necessary.

The candidate will ideally have the following Skills:

Must have an in-depth knowledge of next-gen TRC/ TCR’s.
Ideally would have been involved in taking a multi-platform project (XBox360, PS3 and PC) through the full certification process.
Strong analytical skills and a keen eye for detail.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and a desire to make world class AAA games.
Excellent organizational skills.
Develop and implement strong and comprehensive test plans.
An avid enthusiast for games on all platforms. Must love games!
Computer literate (strong ability to pick up new software packages quickly).
Good understanding of game development.
Experience of working on localised projects.
Amiable and approachable
Team Orientated

Other skills and comments:

Flexible. Will be expected to work outside normal hours, including weekends and / or bank holidays, if necessary.
Good Language Skills are a plus.
http://www.rocksteadyltd.com/jobs-02.html

---

Well, Rocksteady explored and dropped online functionality for Arkham City, but now they've added networking experience as a mandatory requirement for one of their core engineering position.

Multiplayer? Social Features? Your guess is as good as mine.

Rocksteady said:
SENIOR ENGINE PROGRAMMER

Rocksteady Studios is looking to add to its family of permanent staff. We are looking for an exceptionally talented senior programmer who is ready for the challenge of producing a AAA title on the next generation platforms.

The candidate must have the following skills and qualities:

Advanced understanding in C/C++.
An advanced understanding of the main gaming platforms and the requirements needed to develop software on them. Worked on at least 1 published title.
A good understanding of game technology principles.
Experience with network code.
Experience with low-level PS3 programming.
A demonstrable willingness to develop software engineering process and game production skills.
Experience defining, designing, implementing, and supporting production process for creative software teams.
Must be a team player and know the importance of listening to others.
An avid enthusiast for games on all platforms.

Job function:

To promote communication on, learning of, and optimally productive use of the engine and scripting component framework.
To implement engine and tools features within schedule and to an expected quality level.
Provide insight to anticipate technical/workflow issues and provide solutions.
Develop solutions that address actual needs and to actively verify those solutions are approved by the lead.
Be a positive, active, and contributing team member.
Offer advice and suggestions for improving the development process.
To be proactive and help with problem solving.

Unreal engine experience an advantage.
Good communication skills.
Source: http://www.rocksteadyltd.com/jobs-09.html

Xav

Let me guess, Call of Duty clone with levelling system and perks. As someone who reviews games for a site I can't tell you how annoyed I get not being able to write a review without having to spend some time checking out a throw away multi-player mode. If Rocksteady do make something multi-player related and it's awesome then feel free to look back on this comment years from now and laugh, until then, donotwant.jpeg

Truespeed

Advanced understanding in C/C++. Check
An advanced understanding of the main gaming platforms and the requirements needed to develop software on them. Worked on at least 1 published title. Nope
A good understanding of game technology principles. Check
Experience with network code. Check
Experience with low-level PS3 programming. Nope
A demonstrable willingness to develop software engineering process and game production skills. Check
Experience defining, designing, implementing, and supporting production process for creative software teams. Check
Must be a team player and know the importance of listening to others. Nope
An avid enthusiast for games on all platforms. Nope

Damn, so close.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Multiplayer is the next logical step, I guess. But they're going to have to rework quite a few mechanics (like the game, gadgets and movement) being centrally designed around stealth for it to work in a competitive sense, because it's not as readily easy to adapt as say Assassin's Creed has.

Regardless, I think they kind of need to do a shakeup with the core gameplay mechanics since City was just a really refined version of Asylum with a larger hub, so I'm curious as to what they'll do with the third. Multiplayer is not what I want, co-op or competitive, but I'd be interested to see what they do with it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Let me guess, Call of Duty clone with levelling system and perks. As someone who reviews games for a site I can't tell you how annoyed I get not being able to write a review without having to spend some time checking out a throw away multi-player mode. If Rocksteady do make something multi-player related and it's awesome then feel free to look back on this comment years from now and laugh, until then, donotwant.jpeg

I'd have a little more faith than that. Rocksteady is a stellar dev, whatever they think of won't be throwaway.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I want them to make a dark Ninja Turtles game like their Batman games.

Scroll down to the bottom of that job posting and you'll see this:

Last updated: 18:00 on Wed 27/04/2012

Seems that job posting has been filled a long time ago. Maybe Rocksteady forgot to take it off the site?

Does next gen mean PS4/720 or PS3/360/WiiU?

If its the former, seems odd they would want someone with PS3 experience since all the rumors we've gotten suggest PS4 will have little in common with PS3.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I swear to Batman, I'm not crazy on this one. They had an interview on Gamestop's monthly TV thing where they were talking about multiplayer in Arkham Asylum. They specifically said there wouldn't be multiple Batmen.

I promise, I'm not making this up. No one seems to remember this, but Arkham Asylum was supposed to have MP.

Yeah it's actually not easy to fill game development jobs.

But eight months since they last updated the posting?

Oh wow... I don't know much about filling positions in the video game industry, but that seems like an incredibly long time for an open position.

Megasoum

Banned
Considering that every single "big"/AAA games nowadays has huge metrics back-ends, leaderboards, infocasts and other stuff like that, having a programmer with networking experience doesn't mean anything.

If done properly, multiplayer co-op in Batman/Justice League/whatever would be amazing. And Rocksteady has proven they do shit properly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But eight months since they last updated the posting?

Oh wow... I don't know much about filling positions in video game industry, but that seems like an incredibly long time for an open position.

Well, at something of the level of "Senior Engine Programmer" on a top of the top line AAA game, you're probably looking at like 1000-2000 qualified candidates worldwide, most of whom are already employed or left the industry.

I imagine a lot of these actually get filled when studios shut down. 343i for example (the new Halo team) picked up a lot of high end staff when Pandemic got shut down, and the way Epic managed to get a new high end studio was only through the closure of 38 Studios.

if the ninja turtle thing you guys are talking about is true..they need to do that big time
(I wouldn't even mind the guys who did sleeping dogs to do a ninja turtle game)

Well, at something of the level of "Senior Engine Programmer" on a top of the top line AAA game, you're probably looking at like 1000-2000 qualified candidates worldwide, most of whom are already employed or left the industry.

I imagine a lot of these actually get filled when studios shut down. 343i for example (the new Halo team) picked up a lot of high end staff when Pandemic got shut down, and the way Epic managed to get a new high end studio was only through the closure of 38 Studios.

Really curious to see what's going to come from that.

CrunchyB

How many "AAA" (how I hate this modifier) quality games appear each year? Surely not more than 10? With ten senior engine developers each (and that's pushing it), and assuming a 3-year development cycle, that would result in about 300 people in the world, total. Yeah, I can see how they would have problems filling those slots.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How many "AAA" (how I hate this modifier) quality games appear each year? Surely not more than 10? With ten senior engine developers each (and that's pushing it), and assuming a 3-year development cycle, that would result in about 300 people in the world, total. Yeah, I can see how they would have problems filling those slots.
Yeah, and if we include mid-tier qualified engine programmers who can apply to move up a position to senior, it doesn't grow huge leaps and bounds really.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While doing my pre-GDC job sweep (a lot gets posted up now since they hire at GDC):

SENIOR QA TESTER

Rocksteady Studios is looking to hire a full time senior tester on temporary contract with the potential to extend. We are looking for a seasoned Quality Assurance professional.

Job description:

Ensure that all problems and bugs recorded are done so in an efficient and informative manner in keeping with the standard required f or Rocksteady QA reports.
To communicate to all levels within the Rocksteady team.
Use investigative skills to find problems, whilst continuing to complete tasks set by the Team Lead.
Write up bug reports to the standard required by Rocksteady. This includes using correct naming conventions and displaying a concise style of writing whilst ensuring that all the necessary information (what the bug is and how to recreate it) is contained within the report.
Also assist other testers in developing their bug report writing and testing skills where necessary.
Will be required to create and execute various test plans during a test cycle
Ensure that all tasks are carried out efficiently and all instructions are followed accurately.
Provide Assistance where necessary to the Lead, and assist test team with group-based testing (e.g. multiplayer test).
Provide suggestions for improvements, for testing strategies and processes.
Deputise in the absence of Lead when necessary to ensure testing takes place accordingly.
Provide information on resource requirements to the Team Lead when necessary.

The candidate will ideally have the following Skills:

Must have an in-depth knowledge of next-gen TRC/ TCR’s.
Ideally would have been involved in taking a multi-platform project (XBox360, PS3 and PC) through the full certification process.
Strong analytical skills and a keen eye for detail.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and a desire to make world class AAA games.
Excellent organizational skills.
Develop and implement strong and comprehensive test plans.
An avid enthusiast for games on all platforms. Must love games!
Computer literate (strong ability to pick up new software packages quickly).
Good understanding of game development.
Experience of working on localised projects.
Amiable and approachable
Team Orientated

Flexible. Will be expected to work outside normal hours, including weekends and / or bank holidays, if necessary.
Good Language Skills are a plus.
http://www.rocksteadyltd.com/jobs-02.html

I'd be fine if they did open world batman with co-op. idk maybe there could be some good competitive MP but I barely play any MP that isn't really excellent, hence why I stick to my staple of dota2 and BF3.

Top Bottom