• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Yoichi Wada resigns as Square Enix CEO, likely being replaced by CFO

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I updated the title to help reflect who is replacing him.

It sounds like they're selecting a new board as well, so they likely want actual change instead of just sacrificing Wada for past mistakes (unlike EA, where they're seemingly not changing much outside of offering up a sacrificial lamb).

The new board will inherently consist of the new CEO, Phil Rogers (head of Eidos), and other people selected by the new CEO.

Sony needed to go all-in with Vita, create an ecosystem that competes with Android/iOS, get app developers on board and get all of the indie game developers on board. They needed to launch with a music store, ebook store, comic book store, video streaming subs, app store and game store all with a decent amount of content to build up. A proper alternative to smartphone gaming. They didn't and Vita is dead in the water.

Maybe there is still time to launch all that. Not sure if it'll fix the vita, but they can try. The vita should have launched with all that + FW 2.0 + folders + OS level orientation + a/v in browser + other common sense updates + obvious phone and tablet SKUs. They didn't, but that doesn't mean they didn't release FW 2.0 eventually.

NeonZ

Edit: Nevermind. I had forgotten to update this window.

Didn't know Chrono Cross was considered a bad game... I thought it was pretty damn great.

Cross received good to decent reviews, but it completely failed at appealing to many people who loved Trigger, in fact, it's basically insulting to many, with the random "off screen bad ending" used to write off the Trigger cast and the heavy double standards of its plot (Those guys attempted to save the world but were over their heads and just created a bigger threat - one that they can't even defeat, like shown in the DS version of Trigger, which is a Cross set up. Meanwhile these new characters will do the same thing but actually save the world! Aren't they cool and special even though they have much less focus due to the huge cast with auto-generated accents?)

Cross was a far more centralized creation than Trigger, and it really seems like the now central figure of the franchise wanted to make his own creations stand above the more collective effort of Trigger. Whoever allowed that to happen made a big mistake in the end.

Go_Ly_Dow

It sounds like they're selecting a new board as well, so they likely want actual change instead of just sacrificing Wada for past mistakes (unlike EA, where they're seemingly not changing much outside of offering up a sacrificial lamb).

The new board will inherently consist of the new CEO, Phil Rogers (head of Eidos), and other people selected by the new CEO.

#Toriyama-ontheboard

.....and a very good decision having a Eidos representative on the board.

BibiMaghoo

I wonder how many more CEO's will be ousted before we get into next gen.

Ubisoft. You are next motherfuckers. If EA and SE can take a bullet, then you are next in line.

Japanese culture, honor and shame are huge parts of it.

The Japanese expert guy was right after all.

Empty

woah. hopefully the new guy can get final fantasy back to full strength.

also make twewy2, put birth by sleep on psn, and release an hd einhander which will obviously turn the whole companies fortunes around. promise.

In my experience, replacing the main guy with the CFO of the company is suggestive of one thing.

What was square like before wada took over? Was that during the ps2 era?

PlayStation Final Fantasy VII 09/03/97 North America
PlayStation Final Fantasy Tactics 01/28/98 North America
PlayStation SaGa Frontier 03/31/98 North America
PlayStation Einhander 05/05/98 North America
PlayStation Parasite Eve 09/09/98 North America
PlayStation Xenogears 10/20/98 North America
PlayStation Brave Fencer Musashi 10/31/98 North America
PlayStation Parasite Eve (Greatest Hits) 1999 North America
PlayStation Chocobo Racing 07/31/99 North America
PlayStation Final Fantasy VIII 09/07/99 North America
PlayStation Final Fantasy Anthology 09/30/99 North America
PlayStation Chocobo's Dungeon 2 11/30/99 North America
PlayStation Parasite Eve II 01/12/00 North America
PlayStation SaGa Frontier 2 01/31/00 North America
PlayStation Front Mission 3 02/29/00 North America
PlayStation Vagrant Story 05/15/00 North America
PlayStation Legend of Mana 06/07/00 North America
PlayStation Threads of Fate 07/14/00 North America
PlayStation Chrono Cross 08/15/00 North America
PlayStation Final Fantasy IX 11/13/00 North America
PlayStation Vagrant Story (Greatest Hits) 2001 North America
PlayStation Chrono Cross (Greatest Hits) 2001 North America
PlayStation Final Fantasy Chronicles

PlayStation 2 Driving Emotion Type-S 01/29/01 North America
PlayStation 2 Final Fantasy X 12/17/01 North America
PlayStation 2 Kingdom Hearts 09/16/02 North America
PlayStation 2 Unlimited Saga 06/17/03 North America
PlayStation 2 Final Fantasy X-2

Matsuda is, like Wada, from a non-games development background. He studied educational stuff at University, and then went from uni to an insurance company and then another insurance company for the best part of a decade as a manager. He then went to Square in 98, joining in a middle-management role. He left under two years later in 2000 to go to a tax consultancy firm. He returned to Wada's SE right after it started in late 2001.

So he isn't a game development side person, but he is a good businessman. Make of that what you will!

Celegus

Didn't know Chrono Cross was considered a bad game... I thought it was pretty damn great.

News to me too, guess I missed the memo. Apparently from skimming the Bioshock Infinite thread yesterday, now it's cool to hate on Bioshock as well. Not that it matters to me if other people like the same stuff as me, but it always surprises me when such great games get trash talked.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm not shedding tears at his departure..

..but this doesn't mean changes will be positive in the short term.

I forsee more: iOS, browser based, f2p money grabs.

Though one quick easy way to get some cash... drop your fucking iOS prices.

They're making money of it.

How much more would they make if they lowered the price and got all the impulse buys? $3 or 4 and I'd own them all... $15 and I can live without it.

Mileena

Banned
Wada took over early in the PS2 generation.
FFX and XI were already in production.

Interesting to look at smooth FF development pre-Wada (FFXI and every FF before) and during Wada (FFXII, XIII, XIV, Versus).

See a massive difference?
This guy took over right as the series turned to shit? I'm glad he's out. New CEO needs to release games in America.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What state was Eidos in before the acquisition? If deep cuts are to be expected then Eidos IPs will suffer aswell.

They were coming out of their relative desperation.

That said, a lot of the Eidos cuts were already made when Square Enix purchased them (or not too long after), like canning IO Team 3 and largely shutting down Beautiful.

What state was Eidos in before the acquisition? If deep cuts are to be expected then Eidos IPs will suffer aswell.

I don't think it was that bad, but they probably lacked the money to push their IP as much as they did with SE behind them. But the merger also happened before Batman:AA was a total success.

Go_Ly_Dow

Matsuda is, like Wada, from a non-games development background. He studied educational stuff at University, and then went from uni to an insurance company and then another insurance company for the best part of a decade as a manager. He then went to Square in 98, joining in a middle-management role. He left under two years later in 2000 to go to a tax consultancy firm. He returned to Wada's SE right after it started in late 2001.

So he isn't a game development side person, but he is a good businessman. Make of that what you will!

The fans want to see someone at the helm who understands the roots of the company and will take it back to past glory.

The board want someone who won't make decisions that lead to financial bleeding left, right and center.

I hope they can find the correct medium.

Kyoufu

The fans want to see someone at the helm who understands the roots of the company and will take it back to past glory.

The board want someone who won't make decisions that lead to financial bleeding left, right and center.

I hope they can find the correct medium.

There's only one man for the job.

PREpzPE.jpg

Verendus

Banned
Wada wasn't the only problem with SE. They are a mess internally in general. There is a hell of a lot more that goes into a company messing up like they did in recent years than just person. I know that he's the poster boy as the head, but many others, including the likes of Kitase, are not without fault. Their management team needs to be more competent itself. This is from the decison makers all the way to the ones responsible for executing them. This will be about organising a new team of leaders to help with the future of the company and their vision.

Now get rid of Nomura and Toriyama!

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Parasite Eve
Brave Fencer Musashi
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
The World Ends With You
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy Versus 13

What is wrong with you people saying to get rid of Nomura. SE would be in a state ten times as bad as this if Nomura was not there. All those titles are pretty much the cream of the crop of SE titles this gen and last and he has had a major role in each one.

He also has a unique art style:

If anyone can bring back SE especially FF its Nomura. FF Versus only further emphasizes his importance in the company.

Interesting. The company definitely needs a major reform...and this is a good start. But it remains to be seen whether this will amount to something good in the long run.

Top Bottom