• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS) announced

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
By all indications, the ending was Yasumi Matsuno's doing. So if you want to hate anyone, hate him. :p
The only involvement Matsuno had in the ending was
Penelo's thoughts on the second FMV.
, according with the Ultimania. The first ending FMV was not written by him.

fatty

neptunes said:
scan_01.jpg

Although, I liked what he did with Tactics advance.

With those hips, she looks like she could give birth to E.T.

Anyways, it looks like PSP is the first system that I might have to purchase mainly due to remakes/ports:

Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my favorite games of all time)
Gitaroo Man
Mega Man Powered Up & Maverick Hunter
Gradius Collection
Valkyrie Profile
Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins

I know I have to be missing a few other goodies.

And as much as I love FF Tactics, I found FF Tactics Advance to be very boring (and I didn't care for the whole judge system and pre battle rules). I hope Tactics Advance 2 will be much better.

neptunes said:
Cut him some slack, I was never to fond FFT's character designs, they looked weird and unappealing. (IMO)

no attention whatsoever body proportions and most of the faces look the same
They're unrealistic, but that's different from no attention being paid to them.

Boerseun

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Double megaton Monday.

If FFTA2 is more like FFT, it'll be awesome. If it's mediocre like FFTA, I'll be picking up a PSP

I also hope the FFT port isn't just a shitty port like the Riviera port.

Nonsense. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was fantastic.

Gattsu25

Banned
Axord said:
As a follow up to FFT it was quite disappointing. But as a person's first SRPG it could probably be an amazingly brilliant revelation.
yep

not a bad game by any means, but an utter shit one compared to FFT

Gattsu25

Banned
Pureauthor said:
FFTA's two main problems:

1. Law System is just retarded.

2. TOO EASY.
Yeah, the Low Card system was the most retarded thing I ever put up with in an RPG, and that says A LOT

fresquito

Axord said:
As a follow up to FFT it was quite disappointing. But as a person's first SRPG it could probably be an amazingly brilliant revelation.
I can agree with this.

The game was way TOO EASY. This and the forgettable and mostly absent story forced me to stop playing the game, since I was getting zero satisfaction from the experience. I'd have loved a side-quest with the card system in a proper FFT sequel. I pray this FFTA2 is such a game, although I don't keep hope high.

Axord

Pureauthor said:
FFTA's two main problems:

1. Law System is just retarded.

2. TOO EASY.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the Law System. If it was a planned element of surprise integrated into maybe 30 or 40 lovingly calibrated story stages, it could probably work quite well.

The reason it fails in FFTA is because it's used as a device to keep the same old stages fresh. And it's needed for that because the game is too non-linear and repetitive to include story or clever difficulty for motivation. But surprisingly, making lengthy, easy, pointless stages randomly more tedious doesn't much help! Who knew.

Axord said:
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the Law System. If it was a planned element of surprise integrated into maybe 30 or 40 lovingly calibrated story stages, it could probably work quite well.

Yup. It's actually trivial to make the law system fun:

1) Apply consciously-designed laws to every story battle, so that they fit with what's going on and (potentially) have interesting elements of surprise or cleverness. Get rid of them for random battles, or make them location-based (i.e. every battle on the volcano has "no ice magic.")

2) Make sure every law affects something reasonable, that the player can understand (too hard to tell the different sword types apart in FFTA), and that they player can deal with (too many "oh shit I forgot to take my useless bangaa out" BS).

3) Give the player a way to interface with the system that's better than the clunky law cards. Make it easier both to nuke existing laws and to create new ones, without collecting 1,000 different law cards -- that'll encourage players to use laws to their own advantage, and also make it easier to include "tough" laws.

4) Just include a warning if you're going to break a law. "Don't forget!" is not a fun mechanic.

5) Make the benefits of following the "good" laws better. The CP system was crummy, so do better things. If healing is "good," make your healing spells do more or affect more allies, if gladiator abilities are favored, give them a shorter recharge time or lower MP cost... that kinda thing.

6) In later story battles and/or secret battles, start going into weird territory -- make laws that change the "physics" of the game ("No jumping," "Can walk on water", "Doubled ranged weapon range," etc.) and set them in existing battlefields to shake things up.

See? Not hard. I came up with that in like one minute.

duckroll

The redesign is pretty nice. Of course most of the site isn't going to open up until Thursday, when they put up the Jump Festa trailer in direct-feed glory. The characters section has nice pics of the FMVs, and if you click on "more image" under the illustrations you see how detailed and awesome the celshaded models they're using for the FMVs are. :D

ethelred

<duckroll> it seems more effort is going into this port than VP:L
<duckroll> [...] because of Kawazu
<duckroll> in a recent interview, he said that he's a big big fan of FFT
<duckroll> and that he's personally supervising it
<duckroll> but don't let GAF hear that!

duckroll

ethelred said:

I keep telling you, that duckroll is a big liar. Don't listen to him! :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Uh-oh, looks like Kawazu haters wanting this game should be worried.

Cedille

Grivenger said:
The only involvement Matsuno had in the ending was
Penelo's thoughts on the second FMV.
, according with the Ultimania. The first ending FMV was not written by him.

As Ultimania books are too long and boring to read, could you tell me where is such a thing written? All I know is just that both opening and first ending FMVs had been finished spring 2004. Considering Watanabe (and Namada) who was a substitute writer joined in the development Novemeber 2004, I think the first ending FMVs had been written by Matsuno.

ethelred said:

*bites lower lip*

Anger rising.

MoxManiac

Relax, I doubt Kawazu will do anything to FFT aside from adding some jobs/scenarios or whatever.

And Kawazu rocks you bastards

duckroll likes to play star ocean 3

ethelred

MoxManiac said:
Relax, I doubt Kawazu will do anything to FFT aside from adding some jobs/scenarios or whatever.

And Kawazu rocks you bastards

Kawazu's going to get his Kawazewwwy taint all over their precious FFT. :lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fft/main_fft.html

And the official trailer is up! :D

I'll post the direct link once I get it, the flash is loading slowly. :(

Damn, the CG looks genuinely incredible. So, so much better than the direction they went for the VP:L stuff. Hm, still can't bring myself to want a port... but I guess I really have to hear want extra content will be besides the videos and extra jobs.

I haven't gone over this big thread, but is FFT coming over to NA?

The new cinemas, jobs, and, especially translation...I would wait for it, if not I'll just rip my copy of the PS original I have.

MrDaravon

Oh my goooood the trailer in high quality is sooo awesome. SO AWESOME.

Cedille said:
The voice acting is god-awful.

Uh, what VA? The only voice was the narrator, who in the original only voiced the opening demo IIRC. Even if you don't like that voice, you'll have to deal with it once, unless they put him in a lot more or something.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I haven't gone over this big thread, but is FFT coming over to NA?

The new cinemas, jobs, and, especially translation...I would wait for it, if not I'll just rip my copy of the PS original I have.

They haven't said. I'd say it's a fairly safe bet, but we'll have to see. I don't think Sony will pull the port card on a US release of this one, since there's a fair amount new content (counting movies), and it's a FF title. They need some heavy RPG hitters, the system sucks in the US for RPGs. I'd say it's almost more of a question of whether or not they retranslate it. The original was translated soooo bad, it's where Daravon came from :D

Cedille

SailorDaravon said:
Uh, what VA? The only voice was the narrator, who in the original only voiced the opening demo IIRC. Even if you don't like that voice, you'll have to deal with it once, unless they put him in a lot more or something.

This narration is added this time and wasn't present in the PSX version. Also, I guess this narration won't be exclusive to this FMV and be featured somewhere else.

MrDaravon

Cedille said:
This narration is added this time and wasn't present in the PSX version. Also, I guess this narration won't be exclusive to this FMV and be featured somewhere else.

It's a trailer, of course there's narration. If there's no VAs during cutscenes (apparently), why on earth would you assume there's more voiced narration throughout the game? The only time in the original that I can remember offhand where there was any kind of narrative text was at the beginning of each chapter. So what, a paragraph 5 or 6 times throughout the game, assuming they voice all of them?

duckroll

I'm pretty sure there will be voice in the game, it's just not recorded yet. The narrator in the trailer is Norio Wakamoto, only one of the MOST famous voices in Japan. :p

MrDaravon

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure there will be voice in the game, it's just not recorded yet. The narrator in the trailer is Norio Wakamoto, only one of the MOST famous voices in Japan. :p

Yeah, that's the other thing; unless you know Japanese and intend to play the import, why does the Japanese VA matter?

I thought it was odd the characters weren't voiced. You think they'd have that nailed down by now, or at least for the trailer. Kinda odd. I think I almost like the scenes better with no VA actually though.

Cedille

SailorDaravon said:
It's a trailer, of course there's narration. If there's no VAs during cutscenes (apparently), why on earth would you assume there's more voiced narration throughout the game? The only time in the original that I can remember offhand where there was any kind of narrative text was at the beginning of each chapter. So what, a paragraph 5 or 6 times throughout the game, assuming they voice all of them?

I just felt the narration of Wakamoto is godawful and ruined the FMV and worried they will use him somewhere else because it's less likely a famous voice actor will be used only once.

kenta

Has no PEINS
wtf do I use to watch an FLV file

Edit: Nevermind got it, wow I love that CG. They really did a good job of making it all resemble Yoshida's hand-drawn work

Edit 2: vvv thanks Surreal

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Anybody have any screenshots I can update my DS thread with? IGN has had a post up for a week or so but its been a broken link the whole time.

MrDaravon

The movie's from the FFT, not FFTA2.

Can someone do me a big favor and go to the wallpaper section, and either upload the large version of the Ramza one here, or post the direct link? I want to use it here at work, but I can't get into the site here, something about the flash and java stuff not being updated.

klee123

SailorDaravon said:
3 posts above what you quoted:

:lol

Yeah, didn't see that there. :p

But yeah, Wakamoto is one of my fav Va's. Especially when he plays the villan. My fav work from him still remains to be Vicious.

kevm3

I'd love to get an rpg that was cel shaded in the style of that FFT trailer. DQX would be awesome with this style.

Top Bottom