• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Gargantia - Episode 1-2

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how the rest of the series develops, but I think it's obvious that the arrival of Red and his robot is what unbalances the state of the world as it is, and will likely escalate tensions beyond what people are used to because of its overwhelming power. How this ties to the portion of humanity in space where Red came from, and the alien threat, will also be interesting aspects of the show.

Sounds like a good start to the season.

Little Witch Academia

So good. So awesome. It's a visual tour de force that never wastes a single cut or a single second. They know that it's a short film with limited runtime, so Yoh Yoshinari packed something interesting in every single scene. It's simple but entertaining, short but sweet, and oh so magical. If this is the true power of Trigger, then Imaishi is going to have really high expectations to meet when he unveils his TV series in May! Om nom nom nom.

aw yeah

OceanBlue

Sounds like a good start to the season.

aw yeah

They both sound good. Gargantia sounds like my type of thing and LWA sounds really energetic. "It's a fun and light-hearted (sort of) show with a heavy adventure feeling (like Grandia and Xam'd I guess)." Sounds great to me!

I don't understand why people are down on this season. I kinda understand the reaction to last season, but this one sounds pretty good.

Theonik

Sailor Moon 25
i4vxaq9UytsgX.png
i3KcUJ2xL8QvF.png
icxsCkc5kS1lc.png

Nothing like yelling the start of your name while extending your arm to telegraph your attacks.
Those evil arcade operators.
Yay, Sailor Jupiter!
Pretty sweet episode overall, some good faces and slapkuga happened. Good gags also. Wapiko sighted! Destroyed.jpg I must admit, as big a dick Zoisite is he is pretty lax.

So because of zeroshiki, I watched Attack No 1 and I came to this realization
Is this the one where the GIF of a girl being hit with volleyballs comes from?

Metrotab

Banned
Convinced a friend of mine to start watching LoGH. He's big into history and politics so it wasn't hard, but I'm pretty happy I got someone else starting on this wonderful series.

Higurashi Kira 4 fin

Young Rika is thrown into a time paradox after a game of hide and seek, she is sent to the future where she meets the group of friends, they help her to get back to her time. When they're at the portal to warp her back, Hanyu and old Rika are hesitant at first, thinking what young Rika will still go through, but young Rika says she wants to go as there is a job for her to do in that world... Hmmm, maybe the only episode that made me a bit emotional in all of Higurashi...

Despite better animations, there wasn't much Kira added. Thats why I'm giving this show a 5/10. (still better than s1)

duckroll

No one knows what was said at the psycho pass panel or if hints for more were thrown around?

You can read the entire panel here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2013/sakura-con/5

The relevant part:
Shiotani: I just want to point out, I will remember more faces than Wada-san. In all seriousness, I appreciate the opportunity to interact with fans in the States, all because of Psycho-Pass. The 22 episodes are just a drop in the bucket, so depending on the popularity, I would love to make more and more Psycho-Pass with the stories that go in between the episodes.

You can read the entire panel here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2013/sakura-con/5

The relevant part:

Ah thanks, hopefully they do pursue more, if only for more man-on-man action.
Q: In a recent Japanese manga interview, Motohiro-san and Shiotani-san stated that Psycho-Pass was "anti-moe." What kind of tactics did you employ during production to get that?

Shiotani: So, to really boil it down, and this is an extreme example. This isn't in anyway exactly how we thought of it. To veer from moe we took the heroine and the hero, and to start we DIDN'T have Akane take her clothes off, and had Shinya take all of his clothes off. I don't know statistics, but there are quite a few female viewers.

In a conversation with Motohiro-san, we said we just wanted to pack it with as much testosterone and man-on-man drama, so to speak. But the viewers who are supporting the show, the most seem to be female.

Motohiro: I requested the anti-moe approach. That is because, we as children, as boys, we loved the high-tension, the man-dramas of Gundam and Patlabor. Those kind of dramas with the man-on-man action. So we wanted to create something with that kind of tension and excitement. I think most of you right now, but BL is very popular in Japan. So people who love BL, also got attached to the show. But Shiotani wanted to do anti-BL.

I thought we did have a scene with Akane lacking much clothes and changing them.

CorvoSol

Shit eaters and world leaders have many likes alike.

I understood this reference!

Gao Gai Gar 38

Hey, you know what part of this episode wasn't amazing? NONE OF IT. As in, EVERY PART OF IT WAS AMAZING. I mean, there were dinosaurs, and Gai got stuck in an alternate and depressing post-coma universe, and then Choryujin pulled off a massive heroic sacrifice in the end, and true hero promises were made to not let it be in vain and to save him someday.

This show's second half is amazingly awesome.

Theonik

Little Witch Academia
Holy sakuga batman. Anime is saved! Frankly I feel I can safely say this will probably be the best looking thing released all year. (or rather I will be able to get my hands on)
Now getting serious, this was quite superb. The setting an characters looked charming, the animation was top notch and there was a constant feeling of motion throughout the short making it feel like nothing was really wasted or just done to show off like is the case in this sort of short occasionally. Well worth watching.
I loved this cut so much. Potion girl was surprisingly awesome.

CorvoSol

Mobile Fighter God Gundam 38

UGH, really Mr. Wong? I respected you, and you go and decide that ALLENBY is the ultimate fighter? ALLENBY? UGH. I mean COME ON. She's ALLENBY. Aside from Mr. Wong revealing he is an infinitely less intelligent and cool antagonist than Master Asia, we had a manly fight involving Neo Canada's Lumberjack and Neo Russia's Space Pirate. And how the SOUL OF THEIR FISTS communicated and made right the wrongs of their pasts.

Narag

Mobile Fighter God Gundam 38

UGH, really Mr. Wong? I respected you, and you go and decide that ALLENBY is the ultimate fighter? ALLENBY? UGH. I mean COME ON. She's ALLENBY. Aside from Mr. Wong revealing he is an infinitely less intelligent and cool antagonist than Master Asia, we had a manly fight involving Neo Canada's Lumberjack and Neo Russia's Space Pirate. And how the SOUL OF THEIR FISTS communicated and made right the wrongs of their pasts.

What do you think of the formatting of the eps in regards to the support cast? Seems like each got an episode in each half that sort of initially establishes them and then goes on to show how they've grown.

CorvoSol

What do you think of the formatting of the eps in regards to the support cast? Seems like each got an episode in each half that sort of initially establishes them and then goes on to show how they've grown.

I think that it would be better if those episodes were kinda spaced, like pitting Domon against the entire Shuffle Alliance at once felt somewhat repetitive, but on the other hand, it's better than dragging something out. I also wish these focus episodes didn't all have to deal with goddamn Allenby.

But it's nice when the camera turns away from Domon for awhile. Not that Domon isn't compelling, but because it's nice to see Sai, George, Argo and Chibodee branch out into their own things. In this last episode, for instance, it was nice to see Argo have dinner with Nastasha, playing on the awkward sexual tension between them.

RDG: Red Data Girl 3
tumblr_mkhxtmcvMZ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I thought its been picking up and going places. Really good end to this first arc and was pleasantly surprised by the reveal.
Will miss Wamiya
. Really am liking Miyuki and am looking forward to his continued growth through the series, really good laugh visual and what not. The focus on the scenery and foliage is really pleasant and memorable, the flower bursting in bloom and what not.

Jintor

Girls und Panzer OVA 2

Is it just me, or does this feel like they just animated a radio drama? The way the dialogue flows so rapidly doesn't really make me think of an anime.

Jesus christ those swimsuits. Glad they relegated all the (non tank-related) fanservice to the OVAs (even if I still enjoy it lol)

Bryce Papenbrook, Cherami Leigh Lead Sword Art Online Dub Cast

Aniplex of America announced at Sakura-Con on Saturday that Bryce Papenbrook (Blue Exorcist's Rin Okumura, Durarara!!'s Masaomi Kida) will voice the role of Kirito and Cherami Leigh (Fairy Tail's Lucy Heartfilia, Shakugan no Shana's Shana) will voice the role of Asuna in the English dub of Aniplex's release of the Sword Art Online television anime series. Aniplex is premiering the dub at Sakura-Con on Saturday.

Kirito not being JYB is a missed chance.

New To-Love-Ru Darkness Anime to Be 2 New OVAs

The May issue of Shueisha's Jump Square magazine is revealing on Thursday that the next To Love-Ru -Trouble- Darkness anime will be two original video anime (OVA) projects. The 8th and 9th compiled volumes of Saki Hasemi and Kentaro Yabuki's original manga will each bundle an anime DVD. Shueisha will release the 8th volume on August 19 and the 9th volume on December 4. The deadline to pre-order the limited-edition of the 8th volume with the DVD is June 19. The anime DVD bundled with the 8th volume will be approximately 25-minutes long. That DVD anime will adapt the manga's 18th chapter and the "Bangai-hen" that ran in the fifth issue of Shueisha's Jump SQ. 19 magazine. The anime DVD bundled with the 9th volume will cover the 28th chapter of the manga and the Bangai-hen that ran in the fourth and sixth issues of Jump SQ. 19.

Super interesting chapters.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 S2 13

What are they even doing anymore? I'm so confused. This cannot have been part of any plan, I call BS. It's more like Aeolia Schenberg was an old, bald, oddly named Jesus and now there are at least two warring factions in a schism over what his "plan" really was. Except that whole thing about Jesus not wanting to unite the world by force.

The Good:
Lockon getting to actually shoot something for once.
Death of grey haired pretty boy villain.

The Bad:
TRANSAMTRANSAMTRANSAMTRANSAM

The Ugly:
Nina Trinity. Mostly because she is honestly the most fugly character in this entire continuity. Bitch looks like she fell out of Gundam AGE and into this show.

No idea how people can like this crap.

Jintor

Girls und Panzer OVA 03

Ah, the military-industrial-education complex at work.

I think it's great they put so much effort into this crazy bullshit world they invented

/edit LOL THEY HAVE A GOD DAMN OPEN-AIR HOTSPRINGS

God dammit Yoshinari's style is AMAZING when given this much budget. It feels like one of those awesome TMS-animated episodes of Animaniacs or something but BETTER.

Now I want a full length Yoshinari movie. ;_;

CorvoSol

FMP 6

Several things in this episode. Kurz dies and comes back to life
that happens with him a lot.
, Sousuke and Chidori do the whole Rescue Romance Bodyguard Crush dance, and we're introduced to Chidori's power: adjusting clothing to maximize fanservice. Access to military technology knowledge she shouldn't know anything about. We also learn that the Codarl cannot function for extended periods of time after using its Lambda driver. At least, that's what Gauron claims. Oh, and the ARX-7 Arbalest is dropped into the scene. Arbalest is a pretty awesome mecha, especially in SRW J and W, where, Lambda Driver activated, it kinda tears up the playing field.

PsionBolt

Dokidoki Precure - 9

- I don't even want to comment on this episode. Augh. Why won't it just go away. But I'm watching anyway.

- Scumbag Joker gonna scum. I've decided to blame him for everything that's wrong with this series. He's dumping his terrible baby-thing on our heroes again.

- HOLY. I must see New Stage 2 as soon as humanly possible. The OP-trailer ths time has Black and White throwing what looks like the Lookout from DBZ. I guess they had to one-up the cruise ship from the last movie! I love how the originals are always shown as absurdly physically powerful in crossovers.

- I'm pretty sure this week's monster
s were taken stright from Super Sentai. I remember the baseball one from Gokaiger (though I forget which series he originated in), and while soccer is usually a force of good like Goranger's group finisher, I'm sure there's been a soccer monster at some point
. The only good part of the fight was, of course, MakoP.

- I can't wait for
MakoP to transfer in. That's the only epsode that looks good out of the next few episode summaries. The only 'Ai' I want in this show is Rikka's 'complicated feelings'

Verdict. I predict I'll get a lot of use out of this image.

Crunchyroll got "Mushibugyo" and "Aiura"

Based off of the original manga Joujuu Senjin!! Mushibugyo by Hiroshi Fukuda, Mushibugyo is set in an alternate history version of Edo-era Tokyo, where the eighth shogun Tokugawa Yoshimune has ordered suggestion boxes to be placed around the city so that citizens an submit their thoughts. He then creates a new magistrate unit called “Mushibugyo”, where each member has unique fighting skills in order to protect the city’s denizens.

Mushibugyo is set to broadcast every Monday starting on April 8, at 3:00a.m. Pacific Time for its premium members, and April 14 for free members.

AIURA is based off of a four-panel manga of the same name, created by Chama. It’s a comedy that follows the antics of a trio of unmotivated high school girls, Kanaka Amaya, Saki Iwasawa, and Ayuko Uehara, as they do, well, not much! AIURA is being produced by the animation studio LINDENFILMS, who also animated another comedic short, Senyu.

Meanwhile, the comedic short series Aiura is set to broadcast every Tuesday starting on April 9, at 10:05a.m. Pacific Time for its premium members, and April 16 for free members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom