• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Logically, I know. It's just a big change.

Social media makes me shudder.

Well, of course it's a big chance. It takes quite a while to adapt to such a completely new medium, and we're probably the first generation capable of fully embracing it. Some things are still scrutinized, but it'll pass, for better or worse.

I worked there for a very long time underneath a manager who never liked me for some reason and when he decided to up and fire me for no reason a year ago he also told me to not come back. I personally don't give a shit what he says but if I end up there he's getting clocked in the face, so it'd be best not to go there. Also the beer isn't cheap.

Oh right, and I sued the owner for a couple thousand so he probably wouldn't be too stoked on seeing me either.

Pretty interesting story, hehe. If it will make you feel any better, I kind of pulled a dick move on Steamworks (Beer and liquor Store) this past weekend. (Side bar) While we are at it, I'm gonna mention this trendy Bar/Liquor Store of the same name as the bar places in Vanc. What's up with that? Don't think I've seen any of those in TO. Bier Market's a bit different right? These places are I guess "cool" but also annoying because they are pretty damn overpriced.
Anyway back to what I did at the Steamworks store on the weekend. I carry a case of 18 (whatever) beer and bring it to the front counter, where I notice a sign they put up: "our machines are down, we can only accept cash, sorry for the blah blah."
Dude's like there's an ATM in the bar (Steamworks) next door, you can get cash from there. Being the frugal fuk that I am, I told myslef, "If the service charge is more than 1.75, I'm out,"

Sure enough $2.00 transaction fee... I was like fuk that noise, I'm out, left the bar, left the case of beer on the counter. Now I'm not proud of what I did, but after a long week, I was just not in the mood.

Le-mo

Ok my friends and I just booked a hotel for a two night stay from April1-3. These are the list of places we plan to go to.

Suspension Bridge ($25)
Grouse Mountain Gondola Ride ($40)
Vancouver Lookout ($15)
Stawamus Chief Trail
Stanley Park
Queen Elizabeth Park
Garibaldi Provincial Park Hike

What else do you guys recommend?

Smiley90

Ok my friends and I just booked a hotel for a two night stay from April1-3. These are the list of places we plan to go to.

Suspension Bridge ($25)
Grouse Mountain Gondola Ride ($40)
Vancouver Lookout ($15)
Stawamus Chief Trail
Stanley Park
Queen Elizabeth Park
Garibaldi Provincial Park Hike

What else do you guys recommend?

If the Grind (Grouse Grind hiking path) is open already, save the money of taking the grouse mountain gondola up and only take it down. The hike up is steep, but only takes like 1h-90mins. Taking the gondola down is like... 10 bucks tops, so it saves you a lot of money. Not sure if it's open already though.

buhdeh

Just checked out the new Cactus Club by my work at Waterfront. It's really nice but I never realized how expensive Cactus Club was.

Le-mo

If the Grind (Grouse Grind hiking path) is open already, save the money of taking the grouse mountain gondola up and only take it down. The hike up is steep, but only takes like 1h-90mins. Taking the gondola down is like... 10 bucks tops, so it saves you a lot of money. Not sure if it's open already though.

Didn't know there was a hike trail there. Will recommend this to my friends.

Big-E

Don't do the grind unless you are prepared for it. There are constant tourists that go up there with skin tight jeans and heels and end up practically dead. The Grind is not a scenic hike, nothing to see at all and is only useful as a workout. Also, don't go to Grouse when it is raining as you wont see shit.

Didn't know there was a hike trail there. Will recommend this to my friends.

Your friends need to know that it is a heavy exercise and will most likely be covered in sweat at the top unless they are some of the superhumans that do the hike in 20 minutes.

Also, the Garibaldi hike is long. 20 km plus I think round trip up some unpleasant switch backs. They need to get there early if they want to finish at a reasonable hour. Not really close to Vancouver either so that is one of the days completely gone right there.

Tabris

Just checked out the new Cactus Club by my work at Waterfront. It's really nice but I never realized how expensive Cactus Club was.

Their downtown locations have a different price set than their GVR which has a different price than their Alberta locations (cheapest).

Gila

Do garibaldi or the chief if you're going hiking to enjoy it. The grouse grind has become too much of a fad now and it's more for exercises/training purposes nowadays it seems. And Big-E is right as well

Smiley90

Don't do the grind unless you are prepared for it. There are constant tourists that go up there with skin tight jeans and heels and end up practically dead. The Grind is not a scenic hike, nothing to see at all and is only useful as a workout. Also, don't go to Grouse when it is raining as you wont see shit.

Your friends need to know that it is a heavy exercise and will most likely be covered in sweat at the top unless they are some of the superhumans that do the hike in 20 minutes.

Whah, that's an exaggeration. It's really not that bad. Yes, it's steep, and yes, you should be prepared, but it's not like you die from it. Take your time, take breaks, you'll be up in 90mins feeling maybe exhausted, but you know you just saved yourself 30 bucks AND did something healthy. :p

Big-E

Whah, that's an exaggeration. It's really not that bad. Yes, it's steep, and yes, you should be prepared, but it's not like you die from it. Take your time, take breaks, you'll be up in 90mins feeling maybe exhausted, but you know you just saved yourself 30 bucks AND did something healthy. :p

It isn't really an exaggeration. I use to do the grind a fair bit and you will see people in tight jeans sucking wind and a lot of people turn back. Some people have even died. If you are not in shape the grind is brutal.

Smiley90

It isn't really an exaggeration. I use to do the grind a fair bit and you will see people in tight jeans sucking wind and a lot of people turn back. Some people have even died. If you are not in shape the grind is brutal.

I must be in better shape than I thought I was then :lol, and I'm really not in that good shape. I just suggested it to save money. If he wants to go all relax, then he can take the gondola. I just took it with all the hiking stuff he already had it in that he's in good shape and would jump on that opportunity.

Big-E

I must be in better shape than I thought I was then :lol, and I'm really not in that good shape. I just suggested it to save money. If he wants to go all relax, then he can take the gondola. I just took it with all the hiking stuff he already had it in that he's in good shape and would jump on that opportunity.

It seems like the poster is in shape if hiking is interesting but the grind isn't an interesting hike as your only view is on the gondola down. The reason why I went on the whole difficulty thing is that it pained me to see so many people ill prepared for the grind. I can't even count the amount of times I have seen girls wearing tight skirts and heels or men and women wearing flip flops with jeans on. You also see groups where you have older tourists just sucking wind and turning back because it is too difficult. People in Vancouver talk a lot about the grind and people get interested but they don't really think about how it is different and difficult for people with no background knowledge.

My parents would have international students live with us and they would talk to us about the grind and I would tell them what they were in for and they didn't really believe me. They usually ended up turning back or had someone in their group turn back. Now if you are in good shape this is all irrelevant as one trip up the Grind isn't back breaking but being out of shape will probably just make you miserable and ruin your short vacation.

buhdeh

Their downtown locations have a different price set than their GVR which has a different price than their Alberta locations (cheapest).

No wonder.

We went back to Hapa Izakaya (Coal Harbour) afterwards. Waitresses there are better to look at :D

Le-mo

Wow, thanks for the information so far on the Grind. I am in pretty good shape myself but I can't say the same for my friends. It looks like we will just have to take the gondola and remove the Garibaldi trail off the list due to time constraints. Is the Stawamus trail doable in say...4 hours round trip? We'll be staying at the Blue Horizon Hotel in downtown.

Big-E

Wow, thanks for the information so far on the Grind. I am in pretty good shape myself but I can't say the same for my friends. It looks like we will just have to take the gondola and remove the Garibaldi trail off the list due to time constraints. Is the Stawamus trail doable in say...4 hours round trip? We'll be staying at the Blue Horizon Hotel in downtown.

Looking up the Stawamus trail seems to be the Chief. The Chief hike is not a beginner hike so that might be an issue if your friends aren't use to hiking. Drive is an hour both ways so that actors into it. Garibaldi you mentioned previously is further out by car.

Le-mo

Looking up the Stawamus trail seems to be the Chief. The Chief hike is not a beginner hike so that might be an issue if your friends aren't use to hiking. Drive is an hour both ways so that actors into it. Garibaldi you mentioned previously is further out by car.
That sounds doable. My friends are avid hikers so they should be able to tough it out if it's not too steep. Would we need any sort of parking permit? For Washington State we would need a Discover Pass.

robox

ya, i do the grouse grind as a measure of fitness. i see and i wonder how people do it in casual streetwear. it irks me when they clog up the path. it's really has gotten way trendy.

Smiley90

So, Vancouver Winter = Rain, Vancouver Spring = Snow&Sun. Cool. I don't think Vancouver understands how seasons are supposed to work. :p

Cheerilee

So, Vancouver Winter = Rain, Vancouver Spring = Snow&Sun. Cool. I don't think Vancouver understands how seasons are supposed to work. :p

North America doesn't understand how seasons are supposed to work.

The summer and winter solstices provide the most/least sunlight, and (all else being equal) should be the midpoints of summer and winter, but some things like proximity to water tend to delay the seasons in various ways, so various countries use their own local weather to set their own seasons.

North America decided that North America has only one kind of weather, American weather, and it pseudo-scientifically happens exactly 1.5 months late, so the solstices and equinoxes are the start points of American seasons, not the mid-points.

Hi Vancouver GAF, coming up to Vancouver this weekend (Used to spend my summers here in the 90's - one of a handful of cities I'd love to retire in someday) and would like some recommendations on a nice romantic restaurant in the Kitsilano area as well as something to do after dinner on a Friday night. I'm headed to Stanley Park on Sat. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated..

Hey there fellow VAN GAFers I'm back to wish you all a Happy Easter and tell you to get your asses up already and plan and execute this meetup already, stop being cray cowards!

Anyway, what I'm really here for is to ask questions about movie theaters in the downtown area, which one is good? Is there cheap Tuesdays here? Or any other day of the week?

I'm quite picky about my cinemas, I'd like theaters with comfortable seating and nice large screens, do ticket prices vary (a lot) depending on the theater?

Recommend me the good theaters GAF, the closest one to me is the cineplex in the International Village Mall in Chinatown, but that theater don't look that great.

How's the Scotiatheaters near the Robert Lee YMCA in the west end?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hey there fellow VAN GAFers I'm back to wish you all a Happy Easter and tell you to get your asses up already and plan and execute this meetup already, stop being cray cowards!

Anyway, what I'm really here for is to ask questions about movie theaters in the downtown area, which one is good? Is there cheap Tuesdays here? Or any other day of the week?

I'm quite picky about my cinemas, I'd like theaters with comfortable seating and nice large screens, do ticket prices vary (a lot) depending on the theater?

Recommend me the good theaters GAF, the closest one to me is the cineplex in the International Village Mall in Chinatown, but that theater don't look that great.

How's the Scotiatheaters near the Robert Lee YMCA in the west end?

Scotiabank Theatre is the main theatre in downtown Vancouver and is the nicest mainstream theatre here. They have a cheap Tuesday as well and also the SCENE cards you can use to collect points and earn free movies.

Firestorm

Scene also saves you an extra dollar or so on Tuesdays on top of the normal Tuesday price. And yeah, Scotiabank is the main nice theatre downtown. I normally go there, Metrotown, or Riverport. Just don't expect the same deal as the Scotiabank Theatre in Toronto. That thing's on a whole other level.

And yeah, I'm not confirmed for Saturday due to how close it is to my trip but plan it out and I'll drop in if I can.

beat

I liked that one before Cineplex bought it. I haven't really been by since they changed owners though.

Scotiabank is probably nicer, but I liked how Tinseltown felt a bit scrappier. Also, Tinseltown used to program more interesting fare than Scotiabank, which I think programs almost entirely blockbuster movies.

Coming up on Saturday the 6th for the evening Stars show with the wife. We'll be hanging out at the Alibi Room in the afternoon before going over to the Commodore that night.

Smiley90

We should make the "signup" more official for Saturday, because as it stands, I'm pretty sure nobody will show up. :lol Time, Place, Topic, signup-sheet or sth. Maybe delay it a bit more if it has to be. We're brutally pulling a Vancouver here.

Firestorm

I lived in Waterloo for 8 months and made it to a Toronto meet-up.
I've lived in Vancouver for over 20 years and there have been zero Vancouver meet-ups save for a podcast JWong put together once.

STEP IT UP VANCOUVER-GAF

We should make the "signup" more official for Saturday, because as it stands, I'm pretty sure nobody will show up. :lol Time, Place, Topic, signup-sheet or sth. Maybe delay it a bit more if it has to be. We're brutally pulling a Vancouver here.

Okay, you start. :p

I've lived in Vancouver for over 20 years and there have been zero Vancouver meet-ups save for a podcast JWong put together once.

STEP IT UP VANCOUVER-GAF

I went to a Canucks-Age during Game 6 of the Cup Finals.

The thing is, we all say "do something", but no one takes the initiative.

So... this Saturday, Library Square, 6:30pm. Canucks game starts at 7.

Ideally if we got a head count we could make reservations since it could get busy.

Vancouver-Age Meet-Up | Maybes Only
Lone_Prodigy

STEP IT UP VANCOUVER-GAF

I lived in Kitchener, (hung out in Waterloo a lot) lived in Cambridge, lived in Oakville and lived in Toronto in the past decade and a half. And now I'm in the Vancouver! ( I donno what I'm getting at with this but... yeah)

Okay, you start. :p

I went to a Canucks-Age during Game 6 of the Cup Finals.

The thing is, we all say "do something", but no one takes the initiative.

So... this Saturday, Library Square, 6:30pm. Canucks game starts at 7.

Ideally if we got a head count we could make reservations since it could get busy.

Vancouver-Age Meet-Up | Maybes Only
Lone_Prodigy

Ok I'll help you with the OT... but I'm not really good at making/starting threads.

Let's make this happen people, no excuses, Toronto GAF is laughing at us! This Saturday Canucks game at Library square!

Smiley90

I lived in Kitchener, (hung out in Waterloo a lot) lived in Cambridge, lived in Oakville and lived in Toronto in the past decade and a half. And now I'm in the Vancouver! ( I donno what I'm getting at with this but... yeah)

Ok I'll help you with the OT... but I'm not really good at making/starting threads.

Let's make this happen people, no excuses, Toronto GAF is laughing at us! This Saturday Canucks game at Library square!

I'm down. Sign me up, somehow, somewhere?

Smiley90

There's a big fighting game tournament in Vancouver this weekend. Meetup there!

no. If someone writes up sth nicely about the meetup that we can cross-post it'd be appreciated. (e.g. the canadian gaming deals & NHL-thread). sth like what/where/when/why/who, I don't know.

There's a big fighting game tournament in Vancouver this weekend. Meetup there!

Who are the main players (headliners?) love to go to this, we can meet up there then maybe go else where to drink eat etc.

Could you please link the official Thread for this (on GAF).

I am both: lazy atm and at work...

EDIT: the search was easy, sorry

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532839

Second thought The fighting game weekend seems impractical, it's near the airport, (way outside downtown core) cost $10 to get in as a spectator, and limited capacity (400 people).

So doesn't really seem to ideal for a meet up or even "pre-meetup"

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So, how do you guys plan to tell who is a GAFer when you approach Library Square ? Haha... a rose in a book, maybe ? Hahaha

Smiley90

So, how do you guys plan to tell who is a GAFer when you approach Library Square ? Haha... a rose in a book, maybe ? Hahaha

We all yell "Tabris" when we walk in and the people there yell "FLAMING JACKASS" back.

Seriously though, we still need a who/where/when/what/why that we can cross-post. We'relike, 4 people otherwise.

Smiley90

Okay, if we really wanna get anyone for the 6th, let's get this rolling. Jeez. Let me know if you want me to edit something, then let's cross-post it to relevant threads. (Canadian Gaming Deals and NHL come to mind, I'm sure there's random Vancouverites somewhere else)

VANCOUVER-GAF MEETUP OF EVERYONE PULLING A VANCOUVER AND BEING SCARED OF STRANGERS:

Why: Because fuck Toronto, we can do this too.

When: April 6th, 6pm. For the duration of the hockey game against the Oilers (at least)

Where: Library Square Pub, next to the Vancouver Public Library downtown

What: Hockey, beer (or not, for the sober people), food, not-talking-too-much-about-GAF, enjoyment.

Who: QUOTE THIS POST to signup, I will edit new people in. Also indicate if you're bringing a +1, please.

So who's in so far:

Lone_Prodigy
Firestorm
Johnny Cage In The Shower
Smiley90
MutFox

Smiley90

Hmmm... Not sure if I should come, won't be able to really drink due to being on call...

You should come anyway, it's not like we'll force anyone to drink. Let me put that in the post, too, actually, don't wanna scare off any non-drinkers.

Smiley90

I want to drink though... maybe I should take the chance...
What are the chances of being called in anyways? :D

I'll just put you down. :p We'll just have to find an IV if you get called in and take a sober-up-shortcut. :p

Top Bottom