• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

I need to read Black Jack at some point.
I see this everytime I go out to buy mangas :
lgLDm1F.png
Gorgeous
But expensive.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think I'll take a brief break from Tezuka for now though. Sounds really dumb and irrational but I can't really read classic style manga in bulk, as much as I do like quite a lot of them.

wonzo

Banned
How come anime is moving more and more towards having absolutely no shading?
Because single tone shading owns.

I'd imagine, its rotoscoping right? That usually looks pretty good.

But these screens are rally jarring. Look NOTHING like the main characters.
Yeah, it's rotoscoping with actors acting it out. It's kinda weird though as there are actual voice actors dubbing over it but that may just be for the main three. It's being directed by Hiroshi Nagahama and scripted by Aki Itami and they both worked on the Mushi-shi anime adaptation in their respective roles.

Glass Rebel

I think I'll take a brief break from Tezuka for now though. Sounds really dumb and irrational but I can't really read classic style manga in bulk, as much as I do like quite a lot of them.

I know what you mean. After reading Adolf I haven't read any Tezuka in a while. Definitely want to read Buddha eventually though.

Hey guys! I haven't posted much, I just got a 3DS! What are you all talking abou-

MY EYES

Good choice on the system.

Bad choice on the model.

Fairy Tail 326

What is Mashima doing?! This just cant be happening. Why is Natsu being defeated and easily at that with Rogue taking like no damage at all even with Lightning Flame Dragon Mode?! Sting is dead in the future, what even?! I hope we go back to a different timeline as all of this is turning rotten fast.

tumblr_mksewfAQll1qbxqfpo1_500.png

tumblr_mksewfAQll1qbxqfpo2_500.png

How does one "Lucy" ? Why no QC :(

Glass Rebel

Fairy Tail 326

What is Mashima doing?! This just cant be happening. Why is Natsu being defeated and easily at that with Rogue taking like no damage at all even with Lightning Flame Dragon Mode?! Sting is dead in the future, what even?! I hope we go back to a different timeline as all of this is turning rotten fast.

:dtl

sounds like I need to start reading Fairy Tail again!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He'll be defeated by the power of friendship and Lucy will start crying about her nakama and everything will be solved

rouken

Big_3_storylines.png

this has just bothered me from the first time I saw this, what does the bleach one mean exactly? like a rinse and repeat thing?

Akito

I think everyone here is buying a 3DS because of FE :lol
I also need to get on it. Still can't fucking decide between the 2 versions.

Wiseblade

Big_3_storylines.png

this has just bothered me from the first time I saw this, what does the bleach one mean exactly? like a rinse and repeat thing?

Precisely. It implies that Bleach arcs basically follow the same story beats and resolve with no real changes to the world or the characters.

The bigger befudlement is One Piece's chart it implies that the story is told in a non-linear fashion and has central cast, which is obviously false.

Retcon: I'm having to ration playing through the Fire Emblem demo to make sure it lasts the two weeks. Otherwise I might do something stupid, like start a hard mode run of Radiant Dawn.

MCD

Fairy Tail

What's going on with Fairy Tail? No seriously, I know FT is dumb shit but this is getting weird no.

rouken

Precisely. It implies that Bleach arcs basically follow the same story beats and resolve with no real changes to the world or the characters.

The bigger befudlement is One Piece's chart it implies that the story is told in a non-linear fashion and has central cast, which is obviously false.

oh, i never would have thought of that if it ended after Aizen's defeat.

has the quincy been shown or hinted to be the endgame enemies on past arcs of bleach?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm afraid I'm not manly enough for it. And I'm done with thinking about importing an US 3DS, stop giving me ideas.

Not sure what the situation is with EU folks, but considering how jacked the prices are here in AUS compared to the currency conversion I'd probably save more money as I import more games.

Tamanon

Banned
oh, i never would have thought of that if it ended after Aizen's defeat.

has the quincy been shown or hinted to be the endgame enemies on past arcs of bleach?

They've been shown to be the enemies of Soul Society in the past, not necessarily as bad guys.

I mean, the Soul Society did almost wipe them out.

Reknoc

Waiting for the EU version?

I can't do it. PAL just seems to get fucked recently. :( Going to import mine.

Sometimes we do, but sometimes Nintendo are all like "Remember when we released that Fire Emblem 3DS in America? That was pretty funny hahaha. Now, let's release a Fire Emblem 3DSXL in Europe"

Akito

Not sure what the situation is with EU folks, but considering how jacked the prices are here in AUS compared to the currency conversion I'd probably save more money as I import more games.
PAL still occasionally gets the shorter end of the stick like delayed releases like FE even though the PAL version was announced first or only digital releases like Code of Princess. Not to mention Atlus who tends to skip entire games all together. Price-wise it probably won't make that much difference but it's a real hassle having to import all of your games.

Lain

The Secret of Friendship
n2n.jpg

I don't remember if I already posted about this one, as I've read it the first time some months ago, but I don't think I did.
It was a great read about the friendship between two girls and what such a deep friendship can entails for the people that want to get close to them, like possible boyfriends.
The love aspects are romantic in their own way and it's great seeing that both girls, in the end, value each other's friendship so damn much.
It also helps that the art is nice and evokes a kind of... sweet feeling.

So far 3 chapters have been scanlated that I saw and I really suggest our shojo lovers to read it, as it is worth it.

Remember when Nintendo didn't region lock their handhelds?
Yeah me too :( :(

I'm still waiting on a kind soul to unlock the 3DS region lock... =(

Okusama ga Seito Kaichou! 1

efc260198f8aab0ed2e1a96d900970a6.jpg

Didn't really expect much from this new series but I did enjoy that early page with her throwing condoms to everyone in the audience in her school election speech. Art is okay and the story with the president and MC being engaged thanks to their parents isn't anything special. Thought for a moment it was going from ecchi to hentai later on when they were in his room but that was averted for now. Might continue if the upcoming chapters turn out well.

Also that girl adorable.

Glass Rebel

I already got mine because of Kid Icarus, 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion but the good feedback FE has gotten pushed me over the edge to get it early. Then I found out about the waifu stuff and Tharja hngghh. ~2 weeks go go.

battered wife syndrome all up in this bitch :(

I'm sure SMTIV and Soul Hackers will make it to Yurop... right?

Akito

I already got mine because of Kid Icarus, 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion but the good feedback FE has gotten pushed me over the edge to get it early. Then I found out about the waifu stuff and Tharja hngghh. ~2 weeks go go.
I need a 3DS and FE if only to participate in the waifu wars with ManGAF.

Kurita

Steel Ball Run vol.2

The last few pages of the volume were great.
This race is so exciting and the characters are all pretty cool too, I love Pocoloco :lol
This could become one of my fav Jojo parts.

bigkrev

Seriously guys, just get the XL. The old one feels cheap and toy-like (I think i've played Tiger Handhelds with better dpads), while the XL feels like a modern piece of tech.

Oh, and are we Waifu warring with FE? I haven't done too much marriage (it really bogs the game down), but here are my Pairings so far:

MC-Tharja
Donnel-Nowi
Ricken-Cordelia
Virion-Cherche

Main problem? I didn't use most of the female characters early on (Sully, Miriel, Lissa, Panne, Sumia and Mirabelle are all either dead or totally sidelinded)

upandaway

Hey guys! I haven't posted much, I just got a 3DS! What are you all talking abou-

MY EYES
I'm getting an XL sometime after E3. I've still got a mountain of DS and PSP games to play but that Pokemon, man.

It really screws me over too because it's usually the cheapest for me to import NTSC hardware and PAL software. Now I'm stuck with Amazon UK for the 3DS XL AND THEY COST SO MUCH

Korosenai

Monster Hunter and Luigis Mansion are incredible as well. With Fire Emblem, they are like the perfect trifecta of 3DS games.

PK Gaming

Just caught up to Akama Ga Kiru

my thoughts on the series
So I finally caught up to Akame Ga Kiru, and I think it's easily one of the best manga's i've ever read. It's greatest strength lies in its treatment of the core characters; the night raid and jaegers. It's rare for me to like the good guys and the bad guys equally, but Akame ga Kiru somehow pulls it off. I love how characters can die in this manga... there's no teasing in this manga, if a character is cornered they WILL die (its not like Naruto or Bleach where someone saves them at the last second). Its heart-wrenching to see your favorite characters dies, but it just makes the manga stronger imo, the stakes were always high. No character is exempt from this... not even the bishiest, coolest, cutest or hottest characters are exempt from dying in this manga... just the way its supposed to be. Memento Mori.

The "main" fights are some of the best i've seen too. They're flashy, and shortlived, but they're almost always meaningful (grand scale fights like the ones seen in the later chapters are amazing). It's not a "perfect" manga since it obviously has flaws (i'm not talking about them because I don't want to be a downer) but its a very enjoyable read from beginning to end.

upandaway

I'm still not sure if I should get Fire Emblem. It looks really cool, but my brain doesn't really handle strategy games very well. I feel like they just throws a ton of rules on top of each other and I'm supposed to have a "general direction", but I keep wanting to be on top of every single variable of the game. Like Starcraft and Civ and Advance Wars.

Weirdly enough Disgaea really clicks with me though. It's the best thing.

PK Gaming

I'm still not sure if I should get Fire Emblem. It looks really cool, but my brain doesn't really handle strategy games very well. I feel like they just throws a ton of rules on top of each other and I'm supposed to have a "general direction", but I keep wanting to be on top of every single variable of the game. Like Starcraft and Civ and Advance Wars.

And you definitely should. Fire Emblem: Awakening is VERY user friendly. You can adjust the difficult to your liking and decide whether fallen units come back after death. There's no "concrete" tutorial (you learn as you play through the chapters) and its just... really fun haha.

It's one of the best 3DS games on the market atm.

bigkrev

If Disgaea clicks for you, than Fire Emblem should be like going from advance calculus to basic algebra. It's a pretty simple game. Which is probably why it's so fun- you can play it casually.

Kusagari

Fire Emblem's more comparable to Disgaea than those other games you mentioned so I'd give it a shot.

Awakening is definitely more newbie friendly than any of the other games have been too.

I just read a few chapters of Aku no Hana.

I thought all of those panels peopel used to post were shopped...lolno.

She cray.

This is my kinda WTF.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Perfect.

Nice! I'm in love with my 3DSxl.

Fire Emblem is also fantastic. Hard more, classic all the way.

In fact I think I'm going to go beat it again now.

...In the (current) manga thread this means something different than it would in a normal conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom