• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

dum.jpg

Welcome to Mangaf. We're here to discuss manga-related things. If you aren't going to read the rules, at least read the rules regarding spoilers. (Special thanks to aohige for our thread title.)

Top 10 Currently Read Manga OTL Banner Gen 1 | Gen 2
fno.png

ALTERNATE TOP 10 BANNER FOR SMUTGAF! not really OTL SmutBanner Gen 1 | Gen 2
eno.png

*See The Nicknames List below for full, proper names of these titles.

Simple rules to follow so we can discuss our favorite manga easily:

1. Sort of guide to how you should post.
In bold, put the name of the series. Then you can go ahead and discuss whatever is on your mind without tags, okay? Make sure there is a space between the bolded name of the series and your text. Here's an example:
Hunter X Hunter 505

It rules and I don't know why!

2. Regarding manga scanlations.
duckroll said:
This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

So to repeat, DO NOT link to any manga scanlations websites or ask where to read manga.

If you post a panel or page, there should be no logo of any site on it.​

3. Regarding spoilers in this thread.
We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled. Please bold the header of your post as shown in rule 1 to help other posters avoid spoilers.

Again, no spoiler tags for text needed, that is the benefit of coming here.

Caveats:
Leaks do not count as translation or scans. If a translation has not been released yet, spoiler tag any leaks and discussion of the chapter. Leaks should be sourced (a name/location at least, if a link is not possible).

Regarding image spoilers: "Please do not embed major spoiler images, ever."

4. I don't know what manga to read. Can you guys help?
Obviously the best way is to ask in the thread so we can give you recommendations that fit your taste better, but if you don't want to do then there are two excellent threads to check out for a list of good manga. Some good advice: don't ask for recommendations late Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you are a shounenhead and want your manga filled with hot blooded action then read cosmicblizzard's nifty thread of awesome battle manga.

If you prefer seinen manga or non-mainstream manga then read flawfuls thread of awesome lesser known manga.

Other possibilities: (will be collected as we go) (Warning, there may be spoilers in some of these recs, reviews, or impressions. If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga {don't do this on Wednesday though}.)
  1. oh god I think I might be a manga hipster - A smattering of assorted first impressions of less commonly read manga. From El Sloth.
  2. The best shoujo manga I've ever read. - I think this is about Glass Mask? From Antiwhippy.
  3. One of the best things of this manga is the post-apocalyptic setting with elements of dark fantasy. For Kiba no Tabishounin - The Arms Peddler. From ColossalLazy.
  4. Well damn, that was one hell of an experience. - For Helter Skelter. From Akito.
  5. Cardboard magical girl takes the stage! For Silva. From dakkumauji.
  6. A really interesting embellishment on the story of WW2... For Message to Adolf. From Antiwhippy.
  7. It's great seeing that both girls, in the end, value each other's friendship so damn much. For The Secret of Friendship. From Lain.
  8. Its greatest strength lies in its treatment of the core characters. For Akame ga Kill. From PK Gaming.
  9. You really feel like you're brought back to the early 20th century when you read it. For Gisèle Alain. From Kurita.
  10. It's got a really neat mystery bent to it. For Boku wa Mari no Naka. From wonzo.
  11. The best part about this series...is the way it handles the various sub-stories. For Your and My Footprints - The Time Travel Kasuga Laboratory. From Lain. (available largely only in Japanese)
  12. A story revolving around an art university student, his relationship with an older woman and the search of what to do in life. For The Day Before Summer. From Lain.
  13. The story is interesting, crazy and funny, with a really nice art style. For Stardust Niina Vol 1. From Lain.
  14. Nice and heart-warming slice of life story about adults unsure about life and growing up, love, and cats. For Nineteen, Twenty-One. From survivor.
  15. Manga in the slice of life genre. Post full of recs by survivor.
  16. Well written collection of short stories densely packed with sharp realistic dialogues and alternative art style. For Kinderbook. From survivor.
  17. Talking sheep, romance between the main girl and a guy who wants to kill her, and crime mystery everywhere. For Coelacanth. From survivor.
  18. This manga managed to be both creative, ridiculously crazy, and still maintain a great eerie and creepy atmosphere. For Uzumaki. From survivor.
  19. The lovable adventures and ruminations of a cute little girl. For Ryuushika Ryuushika Vol 1. From Noirulus.
  20. This is a collection of short stories by Ishiguro Masakazu. For Present for Me. From flawfuls.
  21. Good opener first volume for what might be a great psychological thriller. For Eternal Sabbath Vol 1. From survivor.
  22. Don't care about the genre but id like a good story with amazing art. From survivor.
  23. Fantastic coming of age story filled with angst, melodrama, and passionate boys love. For Heart of Thomas. From survivor.
  24. Edo period Japan where most males have died to an unknown disease, and thus females rose to power politically and are now ruling the country. For Ooku: The Inner Chambers Vol 1. From survivor.
  25. How much are you in love with your boyfriend? Do you love him so much that you'll fuck his brother? For Sense and Sensibility. From Lain. (Not exactly a rec, but if it's up your alley...)
  26. This started of great and continued to be great until the "Hunter" arc ended. For Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning. From dumbyugi.
  27. Climbing is a great and unusual theme allowing to include some intense hot-blooded scenes. For Kokou No Hito Vol 1. From Kurita.
  28. Do you abandon your dreams and goals and stick with your love? For Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai Vol 3. From survivor.
  29. A great beautiful and tragic love story with simple yet elegant and brilliant art style. For Red Colored Elegy. From survivor.
  30. It's just the life in this small town featuring a cast of diverse, interesting and human characters. For Umimachi Diary. From Kurita.
  31. An excellent autobiographical work that details Yoshihiro Tatsumi's career as a manga artist. For A Drifting Life. From survivor.
  32. Supernatural detective story in Tokyo, at the end of the 19th century. For Toukei Ibun Vol 1. From brokasten.
  33. It's funny, well-written, and following the lives of the fujoushis is great, even better than male otakus! For Kuragehime Vol 1. From Kurita.
  34. The portrayal of the war is indeed as ruthless as anywhere else, that combined with this cutesy art style makes this quite an interesting read. For Điện Biên Phủ 1. From Akito.
  35. A tragic story about the group of soldiers who are ordered to throw their lives away for a helpless cause. For Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths. From survivor.
  36. Very creative and meaningful stories about life, immortality, survival, and reincarnation. For Phoenix. From survivor.
  37. They meet God and tell their story to Him in return He offers a bit of wisdom. For Regarding Death. From ColossalLazy.
  38. The historical romance is still good as ever, and the laid back relaxing atmosphere while still maintaining some drama and conflicts is a pleasure to read. For Emma. From survivor.
  39. Hot-blooded ship salvaging. For Waga na wa umishi. From Antiwhippy.
  40. Really liked it. I feel like it has a lot of heart and the setting has a lot of potential. For Dorohedoro. From Deified Data.
  41. It's as if you were in the restaurant, with people eating, the owner smoking his cigarette while listening carefully to them. For Shinya Shokudou. From Kurita.
  42. Overall, once you read this, you'll be hooked until the end. For A Girl by the Seaside. From Memento_Mori15.
  43. Assorted individual manga volume recs. From Lain.
  44. Do any of you read much Josei or Seinen? Any recommendations for lesser known, quality series? Superlisting compiled by Aad.
  45. More individual manga volume recs from Lain.
  46. Likeable hero, good cast of characters... It's classic but it works, definitely entertaining. For Daiya no A. From Kurita.
  47. Watching Seki-kun inventing crazy games with trivial things is so much fun. For Tonari no Seki-kun. From Kurita.
  48. It's dark, surreal, violent, and crazy. For Alice in Hell. From survivor.
  49. I like the time period and a story like this, combined with supernatural elements, this really intrigued me. For Shinobi no Kuni. From brokasten.
  50. Are you a bad enough dude to read this manga? Are you? For Cromartie High School. From Kurita.
  51. Most of them were really interesting exploring very different themes which made this a very strong collection of oneshots. For A Drunken Dream and Other Stories. From survivor.
  52. Multiple volumes reading by Lain.
  53. This is a pretty good and funny baseball manga. For Koukou Kyuuji Zawa-san. From survivor.
  54. Shoujo series about a school for students who can't fit into society. For Cat Street Vol 1. From survivor.
  55. It may look like a ordinary sports/football manga but a better description would be a short story collection with football as an overarching theme. For 1/11. From Akito.
  56. At one point I was even afraid to turn the page, seriously. For Hideout. From brotkasten.
  57. What an utterly brilliant story. For Drifting Classroom. From wonzo.
  58. Getenrou starts as a nice little collection of short stories, set in the future, and what connects them all are either the protagonists, or Getenrou, the building, where they live in. For Gentenrou. From brotkasten.
  59. Over 100 years ago, Yaeko broke traditional Japanese stereotypes, gender, and honor to become a gun-warrior in defense of her homeland of Aizu. For Yae no Sakura. From brotkasten.
  60. A huge text-heavy post about Asano Inio's short stories collections. From survivor.
  61. Everything listed below is 4 volumes or less and is either seinen or josei (also old school shoujo). From survivor.
  62. The rush times lead to some hot-blooded and exciting scenes, you can really feel that the cooks are under pressure. For Bambino. From Kurita.
  63. How are you so good at drawing, Inoue? For Vagabond Vol 1-2. From survivor.
  64. I do like how the main character, Tomura Toshiko, is a twisted evil person and there really isn't any sort of redemption or payback. For The Book of Human Insects. From survivor.
  65. Plays with perspective in some pretty crazy ways. For Japan Tengu Party Illustrated Vol 1. From curlyfriski.
  66. Ecchi comedy about two best friends who are in love with each other's little sister. For Sisterism. From SDBurton. (<__<)
  67. It definitely has a warm and cosy feeling, as the bar is a great and relaxing setting. For Bartender. From Kurita.

The Nicknames List
Sometimes a manga has an aggravatingly long and wheezy title that you can't remember. Sometimes people talk about series with a pet nickname and thereby render themselves completely incomprehensible.

Therefore, we have a handy list here that might help with 1) translating the banners above and 2) translating our local maniacs' jargon.
  1. A Town Where You Rage = Kimi no Iru Machi
  2. Aunt Tits = Minamoto-kun Monogatari
  3. Dogsuit Smut = Kanojo wa Sore wo Gaman Dekinai
  4. Food Smut = Shokugeki no Soma
  5. Kingdom Hearts = Nisekoi
  6. Not Popular = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!
  7. Smutterfly Effect = Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite (yep)
  8. Super Interesting Darkness = To Love RU Darkness
  9. Swagamoto (or Swagmoto) = Sakamoto desu ga
  10. Wahjah Moe = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!

Other cool and relevant material
Link to our resident Pixel King Neoriceisgood's full set of 100 manga/anime avatars
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Jump covers

The Strange Pile
duckroll wildly guesses Magi will end by Chapter 230
Meet our resident coward Wiseblade
I didn't know Obama's email so I sent it to amazon instead. upandaway's brain fart.

Previous Threads
OT1
OT2
OT3
OT4 SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES
OT5 We Post on Wednesdays
OT6 Hot blooded smut!
OT7 This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

WALL OF SHAME FOR OT7
uvm.jpg

Atredeus

Neo Member
Love the opening image - carrying over my post from OT7

Medaka Box
Seriously, how is no one mentioning the epic troll in Medaka's adventures after the moonblasting? All of those sound epic, and we will probably never hear another thing about it.

Bebop > FLCL > Champloo > Big O/Outlaw Star/Trigun/whatever other anime you wanna put here > Blue Gender.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm still confused at It's not my fault I'm not Popular being under the smut banner.

Medaka Box 185

Yeah, Nisio troll, yadee yadee dah.

It'll be interesting to see how it continues next week.

Jintor

Is it possible to get the real names of some of the nickname'd series up there? I'm never going to remember what FoodSmut is actually called until I read it.

Medaka Box

Gotta go trolling!. Want a proper explanation of how Medaka survived? Sorry, you get trolled!

At least Najimi is coming back.

HDSK

Ok the fan service battle should have ended like 3 chapters ago.

I like how in 3 days Sakamoto goes from virtually unknown to a manga everyone is reading

I call bias!

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Made the Top 30 last thread. Nothing to be proud of, but I ain't ashamed either.

*Looks to Nisekoi image*

*Sees Kingdom Hearts*

*thinks for 3 seconds*

OMG! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL

Also I thought Smut Food already deserved a spot in the alternate 10.

So are we assuming Medaka actually did all the crazy things she says she did before coming back? Or is she just trolling?

Also I second the notion of Food Smut being in the smut top 10, it certainly should be there over Molester Man (finished series) or Nisekoi

Big One

Banned
Big One official rankings of shonen manga -

Top Tier:
One Piece
Toriko

Low Tier:
Bleach

Garbage Tier:
Wolf Guy
Naruto

Hagi

Lurking the last thread introduced me to Molester Man and now Swagamoto, thank you Mangaf.

OPM is awesome as well.

Yonafunu

I better catch up on Medaka Box. I still have some time to kill, since Swagamoto is bi-monthly and Yotsuba bores me to death.

What are you smoking? The fact it looks like it was scanned straight out of the book (you can see the bend in the pages) doesn't help but that's godly.

I might have exaggerated a bit (okay, a lot), but it's not that good. I mean it's great art, but it doesn't look right as a background there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I agree that Food Smut needs to somehow worm its way onto the Smutchart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom