• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Solanin 11-14, end of Vol 1.

Well, it's not exactly what I expected. I didn't think the band would get picked up that easily, but the way Taneda reacted did surprise me. In a way. I guess. Goddamn. It was quite the air-headed relationship after all and his reaction is kinda understandable. He parted from what he loved the most and staying with Meiko wouldn't make things easier. Disappearing like that is a bit too familiar, though. The comeback was well done, though. At least he had a good excuse.

Anyway.

HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU END IT LIKE THIS? LIKE, WHAT THE FUCK, MAN! SHE WAS SO HAPPY AND READY FOR HIM TO COME BACK.

Bahahaha.

Now continue reading and being sad.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.
fe4ad8a4e61017bcf73410d0e6b6aeb7.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't even know if I want to keep reading right now. I'm not that emotionally invested into the characters or the story, but FUCK THAT.

The manga deals with that subject pretty well, trust me.

Also asano doesn't come even close to the wideface. He just does a wide mouth and actually has some lip definition.

This is wide.

wideface.png

The manga deals with that subject pretty well, trust me.

I expect it to handle it well, because it's been pretty grounded so far and it handled the relationship well, for what it was. It's just ... ugh. I think I'm over the shock now. Now I do want to watch the movie, though. I hope it has great actors.

survivor

Banned
I expect it to handle it well, because it's been pretty grounded so far and it handled the relationship well, for what it was. It's just ... ugh. I think I'm over the shock now. Now I do want to watch the movie, though. I hope it has great actors.

It's a modern Japanese film so no, it's filled with their usual bad acting.

Man, you're making kurita sad.
Yes (spoilers, maybe don't click on it), I liked the movie cause it's Solanin and all. But the acting isn't anything special and the manga is still the far superior version.

Oh, I guess it was him who said it then. I'm still going to watch it. Just saw the trailer (and stopped right before that scene happened). It looks like it's a very, well, faithful adaptation, right down to the dialogue.

Juvenile 3 - 4

3rd story was nice and touching. Best story thing used to have characters make up and such.
4th was atrocious and one of the worst things Ive ever encountered. Hope to forget it fast. Who would create such a story?

Kyuur

Solanin 11-14, end of Vol 1.

Well, it's not exactly what I expected. I didn't think the band would get picked up that easily, but the way Taneda reacted did surprise me. In a way. I guess. Goddamn. It was quite the air-headed relationship after all and his reaction is kinda understandable. He parted from what he loved the most and staying with Meiko wouldn't make things easier. Disappearing like that is a bit too familiar, though. The comeback was well done, though. At least he had a good excuse.

Anyway.

HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU END IT LIKE THIS? LIKE, WHAT THE FUCK, MAN! SHE WAS SO HAPPY AND READY FOR HIM TO COME BACK.

Keep reading.

Solanin 15-18

I liked that it started with the flashback, instead of going right back to the present. While it skipped the painful stuff like her receiving the message, the funeral or the days after. It was good to see her getting somewhat getting back on track and getting a new job, even though she's still struggling, which is expected after only 2 months.

Inoue's meeting with Taneda's dad was pretty good. It was nice to see where Taneda's motivation and desperation was coming from. It's pretty easy to tell where this is going now, after she picked up the guitar and his father telling her to remember him and whatnot, but it should be great.

Defuser

Nisekoi ch 72
When is Komi Naoshi ever gonna stop fillers and resume back to the plot? Ever since the performance play the gang has been running around in cricles.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi ch 72
When is Komi Naoshi ever gonna stop fillers and resume back to the plot? Ever since the performance play the gang has been running around in cricles.

There is no plot. Like, not even in a joking manner; the only "plot" element is Raku recognizing that he wants to bang Chitoge and then getting a stupid non-conclusive harem ending where he can't decide which chick to fuck.

Solanin 19-23.

Life goes on and it seems like everyone else is moving on as well. Ai struggling with her career decision and relationship seems to fit right in there. With Katou finally getting a job, I wonder how Ai is going to see him from now on. The manga does a great job in general with this. "life moves on" indeed.

And as expected, Meiko is going to fill Taneda's position in the band. While I'm not a fan of those "magical moments", like when she used his amp settings right at the first time, it was done really well in the manga. She should be fine by the time the gig starts.

I'm just really glad that Meiko isn't starting anything with that guy from the flower shop. It wouldn't have surprised me if she did. Not because she's a disrespectful bitch, but it's what some people do.

upandaway

Nisekoi ch 72
I don't like saying this without having my shield up but um, I kinda like Nisekoi as it is now way more than Niseplot. I don't know, I didn't really like the performance all that much.

Also Nisegangs is best koi.

survivor

Banned
Heart of Thomas vol 1-3 End
thoma_pt3_91b66pl7.jpg
thoma_pt5_81a3zq0o.jpg

Fantastic coming of age story filled with angst, melodrama, and passionate boys love. And just as usual for Moto Hagio, the characters are insane, and the all-males boarding school drama is as crazy as ever. This was just too fun to read and I personally like it much more than the previous Hagio stories I read before.

I loved Hagio's clever composition and panels, and her beautiful old school shoujo art. She packs a lot of details into her art and all the panels are filled with great expressions and emotion, it's just a treat to read. Not to mention she makes some great usages of shading and black backgrounds to emphasis the drama and the feelings wonderfully. I wish modern shoujo manga put half the effort into their art to make something this good.

The end of the story featured a sort of an epilogue, but told in a picture story format. The colouring for those pictures were fantastic, and honestly Hagio should just do an entire manga told that way if it means more great art like it.

Solanin, 24-28, end

These last chapters did a great job in wrapping everything up, I really liked it. The story was written pretty well, even though it was a bit angsty at times, but I guess that's just how life can be. At least he captured that insecurity really well. I was also relieved that Asano didn't bother with the time right after the incident and I really liked the transition. People meet, they hang out, stuff happens, life goes on. The only thing that bothered me a little bit at the end, was that the flower shop guy was still hanging out with them.

Definitely a great read.

Novid

Banned
Medaka Box END

Even if the recent arcs kinda sucked I'm gonna miss the series. It wasn't all that fun or good but it had some charming, mostly because of the trolling, probably.

Good ending too. It looked way worse in the spoilers. Now I'm interested in the Kumagawa chapter.

Kodomo no Jikan END

Still pissed that they let Kokonoe stay as a loli for the loli pandering, but forgetting that...trying very hardly, it was quite enjoyable series.

Mnlya7D.gif

Medaka was alright for what it was. Everybody missed the point of the Jikan ending though. It was the bad end and Watashiya just trolled everybody. Shes the best mangaka of her generation even though Jikan was gutter swipe.

Kurita

Nobunaga No Chef 19

I think I liked this part better in the drama because there were Hot Ninja Girl and Natsu with them. It's more lively when Natsu is with Ken imo.
Still, Ken is a pretty badass cook.

Barrage v 2 (reread)

So much that could have been done with the world and dark energy :( Ill miss it.

JUMP Next Centerfold Chapter
-Fanservice, guess someone wanted a bath scene Tiko :(

Bonus Manga (Barrage AU)
- Was actually funny to hear the characters thoughts and such on their performance over the course of the series, other series should do author written AU's. I love AU's.

survivor

Banned
Ooku: The Inner Chambers vol 1
1421527472vds8y.jpg

Wow, this is much better than Fumi's previous works. It has better writing, darker atmosphere, and more effort to put out a meaningful story. The alternative history take is very interesting. Edo period Japan where most males have died to an unkown disease, and thus females rose to power politically and are now ruling the country. This is pretty much going be a manga full of politics, ambitions, backstabbing, and a little male harem on the side. It's funny that this is probably the only serious and legitimately good "harem" manga out there.

The manga was packed with dialogue panels that at some point I'm wondering what's the point of even the story being told in manga form. It's not like there are any action scenes or what not, it's just people scheming in the Inner Chambers. Sure, Fumi's art is good, but I wouldn't have minded if this was a novel instead.

So I'm surprised that Mizuno got written out of the story. The manga focused on him for like 90% of the first volume, and then he is just gone. I'm not even sure if he will still come back since Yoshimune just abolished all the old customs at the Inner Chambers. The ending was a surprise since I assumed the population was aware of their history, but I guess it got forgotten?

upandaway

Brand New School Day (oneshot)

Kano did this in Harisugawa too.. where in a romance manga, both the male and female leads are pretty much equally MC-ing, and I like it a lot. Hopefully this is his thing from now on. It just works, and I'm not sure I've ever seen it done in Jump (or any shonen). At least, nothing comes to mind!

Anyway, fuzzy end = best end. And it sure was a fuzzy end.

Kurita

http://gifs.gifbin.com/052011/1304528152_high-five-fist-bump-fail.gif[/IMG

That reminds me, I need to own Eyeshield 21 really bad.[/QUOTE]

The best cover :
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mRRJBc0.jpg

I also have the data book Baller's High in Japanese AND in French.
And the Field of Colors artbook.
And the DS game. And the Wii game.

*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom