• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleach: B

Well, that was good. I really hope the truth of Masaki's death has to do with Bach.

So I totally read your comment as "... has to do with Bleach" had me confused for like 30 seconds lol

It will because Bach is also Aizen. Everything according to keikaku.

Bleach needs Aizen back as the main antagonist so bad, I don't care how much shenanigans Kubo has to pull just make it happen!

Erigu

Follows the naming we use, like manhua for korean manga....
"Manhwa" is the actual Korean word for "comics". "Manfra" is just ridiculous gibberish.
Not calling it "bande dessinée" simply because the style was inspired by Japanese comics is absurd on several levels.

Bleach 536

Cute chapter. It certainly explained a lot of stuff. Hopefully we get a decent explanation about how Masaki died. I would have liked more stories centered around Masaki and Isshin.

Naruto 629

Kakashi used Talk-no-Jutsu. It doesn't affect Obito. My god. His reasons are horrible. Rin is fake because she died. You're a fake because you broke your promise. Please stop. Obito wants to put the entire world in an illusion of eternal happiness because he thinks the world is fake. He wants to make a fake world because he thinks that the current one is fake.

By the way, how did the Village of the Mist find out that Rin could be turned into a Jinchuuriki? Or was she just being used as a transport so the Five-Tailed Beast could pop out of her like a chestburster alien? So many questions...

One Piece 708

I'm interested in what Don Chinjao's "real plan." Bartolomeo looks to be an important character in the future. Cavendish doesn't feel that necessary though. Unless he gets more backstory, he'll probably end up being a one-shot character that Oda cameos on his title-cards.

Articalys

I'm not sure what basis they have for this claim -- maybe something they saw in the issue that wasn't included with the spoiler pics -- but Manga-News seems to believe that Aku no Hana is heading towards an ending soon. Apparently something Oshimi said in his author's comment for the issue?

Lain

Full Dive Human Farm
g9o.jpg

Quite the addiction to the Sword Art Online universe. I didn't think Agil was that kind of friend.

One Piece 708

Lots of things are happening with characters I still don't care about, so it's basically a giant mess that I don't care about.

Erigu

I'm not sure what basis they have for this claim -- maybe something they saw in the issue that wasn't included with the spoiler pics -- but Manga-News seems to believe that Aku no Hana is heading towards an ending soon. Apparently something Oshimi said in his author's comment for the issue?
He said it wasn't the final episode yet. I believe that's all.
Seems to me they misunderstood: the author just said that because the latest episode has a "happy ending" feel to it.

It will because Bach is also Aizen. Everything according to keikaku.

Bach is Aizen's father.

Aizen has Quincy powers too.

Didn't use them because no fucks were given.

Aizen is then the father of all the Stern Ritter? Why? Because fuck logic, he's goddamn Aizen.

Soul King then turns out to be evil and drove the Quincy and Shinigami to war because it amused him.

Straight up wackiness. :D

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bach is Aizen's father.

Aizen is then the father of all the Stern Ritter? Why? Because fuck logic, he's goddamn Aizen.

Soul King then turns out to be evil and drove the Quincy and Shinigami to war because it amused him.

That last one would not surprise me in the slightest. Shit none of that would surprise me at this point.

Bach is Aizen's father.

I dont understand why Soul King would be evil, what has he been doing for 1000 years or whatever, just twiddling his thumbs and sipping tea?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I dont understand why Soul King would be evil, what has he been doing for 1000 years or whatever, just twiddling his thumbs and sipping tea?

He's going to be chaotic neutral; one of those Gods who just destroy mindlessly (these occur a lot in Science Fiction/fantasy)

Is Arakawa going to be able to do Silver Spoon and that adaptation manga at the same time? And license Silver Spoon already someone!

We don't know how long this adaptation is going to be or how long SS is supposed to run.

Articalys

Winners of the 2013 Kodansha Manga Awards:

Children's category
Doubutsu no Kuni

Shonen category
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Shojo category
Ore Monogatari!!

General caterogy
Prison School and Gurazeni (tie)

Akito

Winners of the 2013 Kodansha Manga Awards:

Children's category
Doubutsu no Kuni

Shonen category
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Shojo category
Ore Monogatari!!

General caterogy
Prison School and Gurazeni (tie)
I like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, if only it gets updated more often. Prison School winning makes me laugh.

Brickhunt

Guys, Aizen is done. He's been reduced to secondary character. Just accept and let it go.

Naruto

Okay, poor choice of word aside, I think people are really missing Obito's point. He doesn't blame Kakashi for Rin's death and he bringing Rin back to life via Edo Tensei or Rinne Tensei doesn't mean shit to him. For him, the root of all evil is the Shinobi system. He hates it, and bringing Rin back wouldn't do anything to change the system, we could say that a revived Rin would be as much as a fake to him. For him, mass hypnosis is the only possible way to end the Shinobi system. Naruto believes in forgiveness instead and Obito mocks him for it, thinking Shinobi will never let got their hatred.

A girl by the seaside-END
Finally decided to start reading this manga this month. I read the last 100 pages today and didn't see the second to last chapter coming at all. Spoilers contain late chapter spoilers but not with much detail.
Seeing a completely different Isobe not only in terms of looks but personality as well shocked me. Someone who was gloomy and depressed, saying his old brother cast a curse on him, etc into someone happy was strange lol. However, it seems things doesn't end well since the police comes to him after the last interaction with Koume.

Overall, once you read this, you'll be hooked until the end. It's really another great series by Asano, not as good as Punpun, but up there. All that's left is to catch up on Goodnight punpun. Read up to page 125 before but stopped. Really looking forward to anything Asano makes in the near future.

Spongebob

Banned
Naruto A-

Excellent chapter, Rin's death explained and Obito's motivations further detailed.

I'm guessing that Obito wasn't really stabbed through the heart and what we're seeing is genjutsu.

Bleach F+

Boring chapter. We really didn't need all those pages about how the two fell in love.

One Piece

I don't even care.

Bleach 536
This week Kubo teaches us, once again, that if you have a plot hole, just retcon it. Does anyone actually respect this writing? It's awful and shameless.

I would consider it a plot hole that
Ichigo's mother could die to such a weak hollow now that we know she is a quincy. They're about to explain "the real reason" why she died. Strikes me as bullshit, personally.
Perhaps saying that he has a love for pulling plot devices out of his ass is more accurate.
Yeah, you don´t know what you are talking about. First it was never shown how Masaki died. There was a mystery about that which the Bleach fandom have speculating for a long time. Secondly she already lost her power when Isshin saved her. Third you don´t know what a plot hole is.
I suppose we see Kubo's writing quite differently. You may see his changes to past characters as insightful or development into their histories, but I see it as something that he made up last week to keep his series going. For example,
Aizen's spiel about planning out Ichigo's whole life, Ichigo's martyrdom which is ruined by continuing the series and giving his powers back. I guess that's when I started despising Bleach. I really would have liked it ending after he loses his powers to defeat Aizen. It's cliche, but not awful.
I mean, if you like Kubo's writing, then it's just a difference of opinion. I think the series is full of plot holes, awful character development, and extremely contrived plot devices.
No, it´s not something he made up last week. It was something carefully planed for a long time, or else Kubo would have showed us how Masaki exactly died, and Grand Fisher remembering killing her.
Aizen know about Ichigo his whole because he helped creating him when he created the hollow which Masaki in which bit Masaki and almost turned her to a hollow, then she needed Isshin´s help to keep her hollow constrained.
Ichigo awakened his shinigami powers because of Rukia.
Ichigo awakened his hollow powers later on.
Ichigo awakened quincy powers by directly contacting quincies in a war.
Weekly Oricon Sales Top 50 April 29th ~ May 5th

01. Kuroko no Basket #22 (406,745)
02. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #4 (341,407)
03. Toriko #24 (214,443)
04. Gintama #49 (197,973)
05. Haikyuu!! #6 (148,982)
06. Aoharide #7 (129,699 / 363,073)
07. Beelzebub #21 (104,503)
08. Vagabond #35 (86,049 / 364,020)
09. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (85,379 / 728,195)
10. Ohkiku Furikabutte #21 (80,494 / 305,775)
11. Vampire Knight #18 (60,720)
12. Shingeki no Kyojin #2 (60,426 / 1,224,026)
13. Shingeki no Kyojin #3 (60,008 / 1,177,377)
14. Shingeki no Kyojin #4 (59,588 / 1,054,301)
15. Owari no Seraph #2 (59,358)
16. Shingeki no Kyojin #5 (59,336 / 1,009,722)
17. Saiki Kusuo no Sainan #4 (59,312)
18. Shingeki no Kyojin #6 (58,771 / 964,325)
19. Shingeki no Kyojin #1 (58,359 / 1,260,371)
20. Giant Killing #27 (58,102 / 244,019)
21. Shingeki no Kyojin #7 (57,043 / 881,664)
22. Shingeki no Kyojin #8 (56,977 / 851,833)
23. Shingeki no Kyojin #9 (56,347 / 817,513)
24. Arakawa Under the Bridge #13 (56,160 / 136,442)
25. Saki #11 (55,668 / 197,694)
26. Black Bird #18 (54,854 / 114,882)
27. Fairy Tail #37 (53,222 / 452,091)
28. Miseinen Dakedo Kodomo ja Nai #1 (50,694 / 92,203)
29. Meitantei Conan #79 (50,606 / 459,150)
30. Gin no Saji #7 (50,148 / 546,128)
31. Kangoku Gakuen #8 (47,684)
32. Horimiya #3 (47,233 / 75,124)
33. Mairunovich #8 (40,366 / 99,551)
34. Sakamoto Desuga? #1 (38,902 / 560,499)
35. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai。#3 (38,832)
36. Sora no Otoshimono #17 (37,072 / 117,626)
37. Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A #5 (35,379 / 140,808)
38. Naruto #64 (35,193 / 994,287)
39. Angel Beats! -Heaven's Door- #5 (33,915 / 50,687)
40. Psychometrer #9 (32,997)
41. Heroes・Comeback (32,222)
42. Dragon Jam #8 (31,613)
43. Kachou Fuugetsu #1 (31,231)
44. Usotsuki Lily #11 (30,497 / 77,097)
45. Kachou Fuugetsu #2 (30,471 / 31,161)
46. Reimei no Arcana #12 (29,501 / 61,242)
47. Mogura no Uta #135 (29,146)
48. One Piece #69 (27,532 / 2,913,765)
49. Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid #9 (26,989 / 92,635)
50. Ato nimo Saki nimo Kimi dake #4 (25,287 / 50,635)
Hahahahaha, Jump tries to push Toriko all the time for it to get this somewhat ok sales. Reborn sold better than Toriko iirc.
SNJ is a sales beast. I did not know that.
At least a portion of this was absolutely set up much earlier on. The very first time we see Isshin as a soul reaper, right after the Soul Society arc, all of his interactions with Urahara (and later Ryuuken) forecast the events of this flashback to the letter.

The promise to tell Ichigo what "really killed his mother" doesn't necessarily imply a total tossing away of events. It promises to flesh out an event that was NEVER totally clear. Ichigo ran after Grand Fisher's lure, some "stuff happened" where he passed out, then he woke up and his mom was laying on him dead. This was never a complete tale of what happened, it was always something we needed to learn more about. Grand Fisher saying "lol I did it" is not a complete tale. Now we're gonna learn the full of it. That's not a retcon for christ's sake.
We never saw how Masaki died.
His sister are likely to be "just" Shinigami/Quincy hybrids. Them being also Hollow would depend if Ichigo received all Hollow reiatsu while on the womb or not. Considering that Isshin recovered his powers, but only Ichigo manifested his hollow. I do say they are safe. I wouldn't be surprised if Yhwach kidnap his "daughters" to recruit them into the Vandenreich.

And LOL at Kubo retcon Masaki's death. His writing has many flaws, but so far this flashback has been very consistent. It's very likely Masaki lost her powers, and if not, Grand Fisher said he didn't remember killing Masaki and Ichigo lost consciousness before her death. She could easily had been killed by the Vandenreich or another party instead and Grand Fisher being the scape goat.
Kubo did not retcon anything. We never saw how she died.
This does seem to be the case. I may as well ask more questions since some of you may be able to explain.
How is it that Ichigo's sisters don't have the powers that Ichigo does? He's just special?
I still don't think I'll ever see the better opportunity for Bleach ending than after the Aizen arc
I really dislike that Ichigo played the martry by giving up his powers only to get new ones, and eventually his old ones back. It takes all the weight from his decision away.
Ichigo´s powers awakened because he come in contact with other powers. That seems to be really hard to understand to you.
Besides Hollow powers, that I find likely that only Ichigo posses for being the first born, His powers awakened when he met Rukia, and he was a 15 year old at that point. His sister have just entered junior school, so if anything, Kubo was inconsistent (but not actually) by having Karin already be close to Urahara and possibly be introduced to Hollow combat.

And there was no way Kubo could have ended Bleach at Aizen's arc. He set too much cliffhangers at that point. From the Royal Guard and the King, to Isshin's past, the bodies Mayuri found at Syzariel's lab. The problem is that Aizen arc wasn't meant to last that long.
Highly likely.
Guys, Aizen is done. He's been reduced to secondary character. Just accept and let it go.
Aizen is not done, not by a long shot.

tri_willy

chiyo gets stabbed, setsuno's powers seem to have no limit at this stage. more traitors and toriko critically injured!? madness overload!!!

Soriku

Aizen will be coming back. He has some spiel with the Soul King and that plot point has to come around eventually.

Also I don't know about you guys but this face doesn't exactly scream "good guy" to me.

He might be somewhat neutral though.

wonzo

Banned
Oniichan no Koto ga Suki Sugite Nyan Nyan Shitai Burakon Imouto dakedo Sunao ni Narenai no (I love big brother very much so I'll be nyan-nyan, and I can't be honest even though I'm a little sister with a brocon) 0-1

I think this series was brought up earlier but what a fucking name.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Aizen will be coming back. He has some spiel with the Soul King and that plot point has to come around eventually.

Also I don't know about you guys but this face doesn't exactly scream "good guy" to me.

He might be somewhat neutral though.

For real, what part of that screams good guy?

Lain

Freesia volume 3
x9o.jpg

This volume is way more confusing than the ones before. What's real? What isn't? It's not only the characters in the story having some type of mental issues, reading this is giving me mental issues too, as I fail to understand certain relationships, like, for example, the one between the protagonist and what I believe is his live-in girlfriend, who was happily fucking someone in front of him just in volume 2 while he was having breakfast... but was that part real? Or was it an hallucination? Fuck if I know, but it's still interesting even if all is so fucked up.

Full Swing volume 4
u9o.jpg

The whole narrative style keeps being pretty cool. It's really interesting to have the author focus on a character (or a trio, in the case of chapter 2 of this volume) and tell that part of their story for one chapter and moving to another character i nthe next, while keeping everyone in the same world, so they always make an appearance, or are background figures. It gives a sense of reality to the whole story.
Another aspect about how good I'm finding this comes from the type of stories. It's always something that, broken down, is pretty simple, but is told well and concisely, making both each tale have a good impact on me as a reader.

Silver Spoon volume 4
y9o.jpeg

Arakawa is great. The story doesn't even start and I already realize how great she is by having Hachiken point to me that the illustration on the rib of the volume is a swindle and before even that, with the illustration after the cover, where everyone isn't smiling anymore as they hold cleaning utensils.

Seeing Hachiken put so much effort into turning Butadon into bacon was inspiring. I can't help but notice how much my appreciation for this character has grown. I didn't like him too much at the start and look at it now, his suffering is worth of appreciation and his struggles have me cheering him on.
Tamako is such a great character, able to destroy everyone's happiness with a simple phrase. I love her.
I'm really curious into finding out what's the deal between Aki and Ichiro, which has Hachiken really troubled.

S.A. Special A volume 4
w9o.jpg

The best part about this series are the sd reactions. I read a volume and find myself going all d'aaaaw.
Finding out that Yahiro isn't really that big of a piece of shit is disconcerting while seeing Hikari's level of dumbness is both funny and maddening, though more funny as I can't help but laugh when seeing her struggle so much, especially about not realizing her own feelings as well as Kei's ones.

Aad

Do any of you read much Josei or Seinen? Any recommendations for lesser known, quality series? I read Berserk, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Billy Bat, Oyasumi Pun Pun, I Am a Hero, and Zetman, but something thoughtful and less actiony would be nice. Preferably, but not limited to, great Josei stuff 'cause I don't read much of that.

I second these:

So I assume you are fine with slice of life manga in general and not just josei manga?

A Bride's Story
Harukana Machi-E
Baka and Gogh
Ping Pong
Heart of Thomas
Helter Skelter
River's Edge
Living Game
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Sakamichi no Apollon

Space Brothers
Solanin
Nodame Cantabile
Sakamichi No Apollon
Princess Jellyfish
Gisèle Alain
One Punch Man
Detroit Metal City
REAL

Definitely worth a read. It's classified as shoujo but the themes it explores is very mature. Certainly the best post apocalypse manga I've read.

I'll also throw in these recommendations:

Yokohama kaidashi kiko
Kabul no isaki

Check out some of these:

Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa / Legend of the Strongest Man, Kurosawa
Good-bye (TATSUMI Yoshihiro)
Kami no Kodomo / Gods Child
Sekai no Owari to Yoakemae / Before Dawn and the End of the World
Samehada-Otoko to Momojiri-Onna / Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl

Village

Manga gaf, I need your help.

If you are willing to help, a while ago I had started reading a manga and saved it for later but forgotten the name of it.

I can discribe it.

There is this girl with red hair and convinces the lad to become her knight. And she is like a demon or something, there is this maid with glasses.

Articalys

If you are willing to help, a while ago I had started reading a manga and saved it for later but forgotten the name of it.

I can discribe it.

There is this girl with red hair and convinces the lad to become her knight. And she is like a demon or something, there is this maid with glasses.
The manga adaptation of Maoyuu Maou Yuusha?

Dresden

I can discribe it.

maoyuu maou yuusha

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't believe your qualifier isn't "it's an economics textbook pretending to be fantasy".

Or maybe "useless meat".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom