• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hinamatsuri 21-22

KFJHY74.jpg

447px-Manlytears3.jpg

Oh wow, that took a complete left turn after chapter 21. I was not prepared to cry, but I cried goddamnit.

This series is amazing.

Haikyuu!! 59

One of Tsuki's best chapters yet and so funny too, we need more time with him and Kageyama on court. I thought they'd be yelling and angry at each other but I guess now is not the time as they wanted to get serious.

I dont know who I want to win still, Oikawa looks all fired up and the score is so close.

K: Memory of Red 12

Another month and another K Memory of Red. Anna and Mikoto had lots of fun moments, recording the shower scene Mikoto, Mikoto running into Munakata, and quite a few more made it fun and funny. If only other people were more welcoming of Mikoto and not running away or being afraid. Ending camera scene, unforgettable especially Totsuka.

Akito

Silver Spoon 74
Mama Hachiken is everything his father isn't but Tamako is the MVP this time, the characters in this manga are so amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Silver Spoon

That Men's Bath Yogurt came back :lol

For some reason I also find it funny how like every chapter some guy says "Damn you Hachiken"

Kurita

Stardust Crusaders vol.3

Goddamn at the ending. Polnareff crying... Didn't expect that. Hope he goes berserk or something, and I really hope Abdul doesn't die...

Lucky Dog 1 Blast 13

Hilariously fun chapter, the jailbreak crew should party and festival more often, Guilio was cool, Ivan too and Gian Carlos singing. I hope it doesnt go the predictable route next chapter (village reveals they knew they were the prisoners that escaped and wanted to hold them in place until the cops could come...)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56759860]Yeah, but it tends to dissipate in the water so most people wouldn't notice it.[/QUOTE]

I'm lost, here.

Natsuiro Danshi - Summer-colored Boys 1
tumblr_mm8horRF8a1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Somehow most of my stories revolve around the same plot and etc but it never gets old. Shiina and Shiina are good characters and their budding and kind of deepening friendship with lots of scenes (rooftop scene, Shiina taking interesting in Shiina's hair and his good looks and friendship, bike scene with Shiina and Shiina on the same bike was good, and numerous hair ruffles) made it fun and kind of touching and such to read. I wish chapter 2 would hurry as the ending scene was interesting
Shiina boring a book from Shiina, notice Shiina's fluids on it and then does it to the thought of Shinna and then feels regret and such, or maybe realizing that he does like Shiina too

Stinky

Hunter x Hunter Greed Island

Liked it less than Phantom Troupe/Yorknew.. but it was till cool.

The Genthru vs Gon fight was nuts. The screengrab I mentioned was actually from that fight when Gon is bruised beyond recognition and his arm is blown off.

Of course the fisherman wasn't Ging, but it seems the wild goose chase for Gon's dad is close to the end.

Angry Grimace

Natsuiro Danshi - Summer-colored Boys 1
http://25.media.tumblr.com/f9f44645af6e752154c4807989a38294/tumblr_mm8horRF8a1qbxqfpo1_500.png[IMG]

Somehow most of my stories revolve around the same plot and etc but it never gets old. Shiina and Shiina are good characters and their budding and kind of deepening friendship with lots of scenes (rooftop scene, Shiina taking interesting in Shiina's hair and his good looks and friendship, bike scene with Shiina and Shiina on the same bike was good, and numerous hair ruffles) made it fun and kind of touching and such to read. I wish chapter 2 would hurry as the ending scene was interesting [spoiler]Shiina boring a book from Shiina, notice Shiina's fluids on it and then does it to the thought of Shinna and then feels regret and such, or maybe realizing that he does like Shiina too[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Dude, they have BL that doesn't have the same generic yaoi plot and characters

survivor

Banned
Kamakura Diary vol.1 (aka Umimachi Diary in Japanese)
http://i.minus.com/iYnbNi5nkhIrM.jpg[IMG]

This was good. Really, really good.
The art isn't outstanding, as expected from a josei manga, but who cares when the writing is this good!
Four sisters with unique personalities, their own problems, their own life... No doubt anyone can relate to them.
No clichés, no boring moments. It's just the life in this small town featuring a cast of diverse, interesting and human characters...
Having four main characters is great because you can have a whole new story within the main story when the author decides to focus on one of them.
The younger sister is still in middle-school, so you'll have teen drama where her siblings are not involved at all etc...
Definitely one of the most interesting slice of life mangas I've read so far.[/QUOTE]
Why can't I read this? :(

Maybe stopping going to French courses was a bad idea after all.

Toukei Ibun 1.1-1.2, prologue

crnixkX.jpg

Imagine living in a town where supernatural beings stalk the night for their next prey. Toukei Ibun takes place in 1897, 29 years after Tokyo was established as the capital of Japan. Manzou is the owner of an inn in the town of Asakusa. His friend Hirakawa is a journalist who is investigating the bizarre crimes that keep occurring all over the city in the dead of night.

It's to early to judge the characters, but I'm a sucker for a setting like this and the atmosphere is really good, too. The investigative part in that setting reminds me a bit of Mononoke, even though Hirakawa isn't really that active yet. The prologue was probably mostly to set up the demons or other supernatural beings, like the black fox, human soul seller or the burning man and it did a good job, IMO.

The artist does a good job to give the manga a slightly creepy feel, without getting brutal or using gore. Seems like a good read if you're into ghost stories and paranormal investigations.

Articalys

Hayate no Gotoku 404

I have a hard time that Hata is planning any sort of drama after how lightheartedly he's been taking the story for the past several months, but the dramatic December 24 at the end makes me wonder, exactly how much time has passed in-series anyway?

survivor

Banned
A Drifting Life
a4947f27e3ae4d77z3v.jpg

10/10, would read again. An excellent autobiographical work that details Yoshihiro Tatsumi's career as a manga artist. The best part about it is that not only does the book cover the early developments of the manga industry, but there is a strong narrative of a man who is struggling to evolve the medium to a higher level of storytelling while facing the harsh realities of the manga business.

One of the interesting parts is seeing how the early manga business model worked. Most of the book focused exclusively on the book rental system which I assumed where Tatsumi published most of his earlier works. It seemed so disorganized, focused a lot on publishing huge amount of shorter stories, and authors seemed to have a lot of freedom to work with multiple publishers. There was also a push for collections of short 20-30 pages works which I'd imagine is the reason why most of Tatsumi's manga available in English are largely short stories. He did struggle a lot trying to come up with longer pieces, but throughout the whole book he never really published a long 200 pages story.

The major point of Tatsumi's life is obviously when he coined the term "gekiga" to describe his work to get away from the traditional children targeted manga that were popular at the time. Most of his influences were from films and it did lead to some cool discussions with other manga artists about panels usage and layout. Do you waste a lot of panels showing action scenes and setting the mood, or do you abridge the action and just show the key scenes? This was also one of the best parts of the manga, reading all these discussions by artists about storytelling in the manga format and how you advance it and evolve it. Plus it was cool trying to see if I can recognize any of them. I didn't even know the Golgo 13 author was a friend of Tatsumi and they worked together and collaborated a lot.

Ultimately the question is how much influence did he have on the industry? The problem is that the book never really addressed that point. It focused mostly on his earlier career and right to 1-2 years after he started the gekiga movement. I mean he did partially contribute to the boom of the short story magazines with Shadow and City magazines, but it was never shown how his art influenced other manga artists. The Wikipedia page does mention how even Tezuka was influenced by Tatsumi which is a bit amusing seeing how Tatsumi as a child always looked up to Tezuka and tried to imitate his techniques. I did want to see more of his influence, but sadly the book did end right around the 1960s. I think it's also around the time right before he wrote most of the short stories that are translated in English like Push Man or Goodbye. It did make sense seeing how near the end he realized that gekiga was missing the anger element. Also, the epilogue was just damn amazing, summed up his life perfectly.

Silver Spoon 74

Love this chapter. Didn't know cows could get infested with maggots when you clip their horns. Mikage's reaction was the best.

edit: And the Tamako smack.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be fair if you told me the reason he got banned without any context I'd probably assume it was an off topic thread

Really? Gaming always seemed like more of a minefield. In OT you just need to not be racist, homophobic, sexist or anything of that nature. Or a troll.

Really? Gaming always seemed like more of a minefield. In OT you just need to not be racist, homophobic, sexist or anything of that nature. Or a troll.

Yeah and the comment which I assume he was banned for was a sexist one, unless there's a bigger red flag post I missed.

Shokugeki no Soma 0
E5mfq0c.jpg

What a wonderful beginning to this oneshot.

Chapter was fun. Soma still has his amazing cooking skills, confidant personality, and knack for testing unusual cooking, while Erina was still her usual Tsundere self. Not really a big fan of Soma's original appearance, so I'm glad it was changed some when it became serialized.

Shokugeki no Soma 0

lol dat first page.

Trinity Seven 27

Fucking Headmaster so useless, let Levi get hurt.

Karate Minoru 204

lol so dirty using that ponytail.

Shibatora 122

Last volume, guess its ending in its peak.

Fuuuuuuuuuu someone save Mizuki ;__________;

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 44

Oh Kana, always the life and soul of the party. I think ejection after chopping someone to pieces is slight overkill, but hey, I'm sure there's a good reason besides gratuitous suffering. Looking forward to meeting the NEW CHALLENGER next chapter.

Neon Dimension Ascension 4
tumblr_mm947g00sZ1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Never thought of that before. But wanted more characters fusing to metal objects and other conspiracy theories and baffling science, would have been better than the yuri type suicidal stuff going on. However all the eschatology was texty though really insightful, compelling, and thought provoking.

Angry Grimace

Food Smut 0

You can always tell the artists who have been drawing hentai. They always make sure to accent the nipples.

Angry Grimace

Actually the one-shot version of Soma is slightly less airheaded than the serialized one (who seems oblivious to pretty much everything in the entire world).

Food Smut 0

Black Haired Souma looks pretty decent and he seems a bit more of an asshole in this as well.

And its always cool seeing how certain parts of oneshots are currently used in the series and also the changes made (that dude as Erina's right hand, letting Erina be the one to declare that she will make food to impress him).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom