• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

MutFox

Banned
Okay, if we really wanna get anyone for the 6th, let's get this rolling. Jeez. Let me know if you want me to edit something, then let's cross-post it to relevant threads. (Canadian Gaming Deals and NHL come to mind, I'm sure there's random Vancouverites somewhere else)

VANCOUVER-GAF MEETUP OF EVERYONE PULLING A VANCOUVER AND BEING SCARED OF STRANGERS:

Why: Because fuck Toronto, we can do this too.

When: April 6th, 6pm. For the duration of the hockey game against the Oilers (at least)

Where: Library Square Pub, next to the Vancouver Public Library downtown

What: Hockey, beer (or not, for the sober people), food, not-talking-too-much-about-GAF, enjoyment.

Who: QUOTE THIS POST to signup, I will edit new people in. Also indicate if you're bringing a +1, please.

So who's in so far:

Lone_Prodigy
Firestorm
Johnny Cage In The Shower
Smiley90
MutFox

Hmmm... Should there be a meetup thread?
Or is it too late now? :|

Cocaine

Banned
I went to a TO meetup and those are prepared like a month in advance. That's why there is a turnout. What are you guys trying to pull here?!

But it's alll good.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I went to a TO meetup and those are prepared like a month in advance. That's why there is a turnout. What are you guys trying to pull here?!

But it's alll good.

Yeah. I don't know what we're trying to do really, the idea came up like a month in advance, but we have no initiative. I'm too busy these days to plan anything, really.

"Let's do something next month."
"Okay."
"Someone pick a day."
*day picked*

"Oh I'm busy that day."
"Me too."
"How about another day?"

*another day picked*
"I'm busy that day. Why not this day?"

*another day picked*
"Sounds good."

*day approaches*
"So we still good?"
"No I'm busy now."
"Can you push it back a week?"

*a week later*
"Oh I totally forgot about this. I can't go."
"Let's just cancel it."

Smiley90

"Okay."
"Someone pick a day."
*day picked*

"Oh I'm busy that day."
"Me too."
"How about another day?"

*another day picked*

*another day picked*
"Sounds good."

*day approaches*
"So we still good?"
"No I'm busy now."

*a week later*
"Let's just cancel it."

/Vancouver'ed

Smiley90

... so... are we doing this tomorrow? Or are we going to make an actual OT for a playoff meetup or something, where people actually show up and don't learn about it 2 days in advance? :p

MutFox

Banned
... so... are we doing this tomorrow? Or are we going to make an actual OT for a playoff meetup or something, where people actually show up and don't learn about it 2 days in advance? :p

Haha... Well let's actually make a thread like TODAY and make it for 2-3 weeks from tomorrow...
Good thing for April, is that every Saturday is a Canucks game... :p

So who wants to make the thread?

Smiley90

Haha... Well let's actually make a thread like TODAY and make it for 2-3 weeks from tomorrow...
Good thing for April, is that every Saturday is a Canucks game... :p

So who wants to make the thread?

Just probably make it after the 24th, I think that should be last day of finals for most people? Not sure about UBC'ers, but just in case. We won't know the playoff schedule yet, if we wanna make it for then...

Firestorm

Just probably make it after the 24th, I think that should be last day of finals for most people? Not sure about UBC'ers, but just in case. We won't know the playoff schedule yet, if we wanna make it for then...
After 24th works better for me as I'll be back (except the 27th as I'm busy that night)!

MutFox

Banned
"Okay."
"Someone pick a day."
*day picked*

"Oh I'm busy that day."
"Me too."
"How about another day?"

*another day picked*

*another day picked*
"Sounds good."

*day approaches*
"So we still good?"
"No I'm busy now."

*a week later*
"Let's just cancel it."

This is coming true again... haha

Gila

Half of 604Gaf is going to be building comps/sleeping from the NCIX sale. The other half is too scared of Bish.

I'm game for after the 24th, won't stay out too long if its a Friday or sat night though.

Lets do it guys, even if there's just four of us, sorry I have kind of abandoned you at this crucial time of meet up!

But yeah, here's what I am doing, I am going to go to the Sheraton Vancouver, Airport Convention Center in Richmond and catch some SSFIV: AE action at the Canada Cup, April Duels II. probably would be out of there by 8:30 will be back in downtown at around 9:00.

So... If people want to still get together and watch the game (I'll catch the last period I guess)

That I can do, unfortunately, that's the best I can do right now.

I'll keep my eye out on this thread, see if anyone does anything.

If anyone wants to Join me and watch the Canada Cup at the Sheraton Hotel? PM me if you want to hook up, lets go and give J.Wong a wedgie and high five Gootecks! :p

Firestorm

I'm out for tonight unfortunately. Still way too much to do before I leave tomorrow morning. I'm definitely up for a meetup once I'm back though.

Awesome day in your city. Brunch and beer at Alibi Room, more beer at Yaletown Brewing and Parallel 49 Brewing, Stars at the Commodore and then an incredible dinner at Bin 941.

offcast

Neo Member
This city was awesome. Hopefully I get a chance to look around more next time I come out here, only briefly got to see downtown. Hope you enjoyed the event Johnny Cage, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you, but I was working at the stream area all weekend.

This city was awesome. Hopefully I get a chance to look around more next time I come out here, only briefly got to see downtown. Hope you enjoyed the event Johnny Cage, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you, but I was working at the stream area all weekend.

Hey! it would've been nice to meet you there, it was a great weekend last weekend, I went both nights, Saturday and Sunday... I can't really keep up with Marvel or any of the other games, (SFxT is kinda fun, gotta admit) I just love watching the SSFIV:AE Top eights.

And it was a great experience, got me a free Canada Cup shirt, woot!

Small talked Wong and got my pic taken with him, same with Tokido, funny how he has to do the murder face every time someone wants to take a picture with him, he goes from shy smiles to "I want to kill you" in 0.8 seconds flat. Shook Xian's hand TWICE, the first night when he won the top eight, and again, the second night!

Speaking of shaking hands, I shook a legit celebrity's hand today, Anyone at the Pacific Center around 3:30-4:00 pm today? I ran into get this... Clive fuckin' Owen, as I was walking out of Starbucks, with coffee in tow, I look up, and sure enough approaching me in sunglasses and in casual clothes..Mr. Children of Men himself! he was walking with a bodyguard or a buddy I donno, I was kind of star struck, so I just reached out and shook his hand, at least forced him to shake my hand... as I mumbled "Uhmm .. I'm a big fan Mr.. Uhh Owen" he mumbled back something like "Aight mate" gave me a good firm handshake, barely making eye contact though LOL!! fuckin guy sounds exactly like he does in his moves, that deep, groggy Brit voice. Anyway, I thought that was cool, and as he was speeding away I managed to grab a shot of his back, didn't want to run ahead of him and take a pic from the front, (like some cheap paparazzi) I thought forcing him to shake my hand was being annoying enough, didn't want to bother the mate more than that. so I snapped this quickly!

ONtfmhu.jpg

Anyway, hope ya'll enjoying your Saturday evening in the city, outside the city, wherever you Vancouverites are today.

PS: I have a question for someone that can answer me, I need a hard copy of this past Wednesday's Vancouver Sun paper, my friend in Toronto wrote an article and send it to all the major papers in the country, and for some reason, the Vancouver Sun was the only one to print/publish it. He just wants a hard copy of the paper as a token etc. How do I go about obtaining one? Library? Do I walk into the Sun building and ask for a copy? thanks in advanced if someone can help me.

Smiley90

Hey! it would've been nice to meet you there, it was a great weekend last weekend, I went both nights, Saturday and Sunday... I can't really keep up with Marvel or any of the other games, (SFxT is kinda fun, gotta admit) I just love watching the SSFIV:AE Top eights.

And it was a great experience, got me a free Canada Cup shirt, woot!

Small talked Wong and got my pic taken with him, same with Tokido, funny how he has to do the murder face every time someone wants to take a picture with him, he goes from shy smiles to "I want to kill you" in 0.8 seconds flat. Shook Xian's hand TWICE, the first night when he won the top eight, and again, the second night!

Speaking of shaking hands, I shook a legit celebrities hand today, Anyone at the Pacific Center around 3:30-4:00 pm today? I ran into get this... Clive fuckin' Owen, as I was walking out of Starbucks, with coffee in tow, I look up, and sure enough approaching me in sunglasses and in casual clothes..Mr. Children of Men himself! he was walking with a bodyguard or a buddy I donno, I was kind of star struck, so I just reached out and shook his hand, at least forced him to shake my hand... as I mumbled "Uhmm .. I'm a big fan Mr.. Uhh Owen" he mumbled back something like "Aight mate" gave me a good firm handshake, barely making eye contact though LOL!! fuckin guy sounds exactly like he does in his moves, that deep, groggy Brit voice. Anyway, I thought that was cool, and as he was speeding away I managed to grab a shot of his back, didn't want to run ahead of him and take a pic from the front, (like some cheap paparazzi) I thought forcing him to shake my hand was being annoying enough, didn't want to bother the mate more than that. so I snapped this quickly!

Anyway, hope ya'll enjoying your Saturday evening in the city, outside the city, wherever you Vancouverites are today.

PS: I have a question for someone that can answer me, I need a hard copy of this past Wednesday's Vancouver Sun paper, my friend in Toronto wrote an article and send it to all the major papers in the country, and for some reason, the Vancouver Sun was the only one to print/publish it. He just wants a hard copy of the paper as a token etc. How do I go about obtaining one? Library? Do I walk into the Sun building and ask for a copy? thanks in advanced if someone can help me,

Library should have it, but... you can't take that way from there. Check a legit newspaper store, there's one downtown. Alternatively, the sun building directly might actually work, too. They might even give you one for free if you ask nicely and tell them about your friend.

Library should have it, but... you can't take that way from there. Check a legit newspaper store, there's one downtown. Alternatively, the sun building directly might actually work, too. They might even give you one for free if you ask nicely and tell them about your friend.

Cool, thanks Smiley, all Public Libraries are closed at this hour, (f'me and my lazy Saturday) I'll take my chances at the V.S. building tomorrow.

EDIT: Guess this explains the Clive Owen presence in town, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2380331/

FyreWulff

Just went to Peaceful Restaurant near Broadway & Cambie. Really damn good.

They are also pretty literal when they mark something as 'Thousand Chili Chicken' on the menu. I thought it meant how hot it was going to be. Nope, chicken buried in a mountain of chilis.

Smiley90

Wasn't there a meetup planned for tomorrow? :lol

I guess we can plan something during the playoffs.

hu? Don't think there was anything planned for tomorrow.

Yeah we need to make an OT for a playoff meetup... but... it'll never happen anyway :lol

FyreWulff

My friend is taking me on various tours of Van before I go back to the states. We went to Columbia via the skytrain, because he wanted to show me a few of the stores down there.

THE BRITISH STORE

eD58xizl.jpg

Cemetery

6YXmrLSl.jpg

Y'all pacific northwesterns love to name theaters "Paramount"

cLkOqlSl.jpg

So many damn bridges

ANDWhYol.jpg

Bonus Canadian Goose that gives no fucks about cars and bicycles on our way to Save On near Vancouver General Hospital

lT29azpl.jpg

We came across it on the way back and it was yanking up grass near the same spot

G36zgmwl.jpg

As someone from the midwest, I'm very impressed that even the geese are acclimated to humans here. When they land in our lakes back home they'll take off if you even think about walking towards them

Tabris

That "Paramount Theatre" is a strip club btw. Your friend sucks at showing you around the city as Columbia is a dive.

FyreWulff

I think I figured that out from the dance prices in the window..

imo you haven't seen a city/area until you've actually seen all the parts, not just the mega-built-up-for-tourism parts. We're going everywhere.

FyreWulff

Didja check out GameDeals while in Columbia?

Yep, bought Frequency. Was dismayed that the only RB-compatible guitars they had were for Wii. Pretty nice collection, although the vast majority of their N64 floor selection was multiple copies of NFL Quarterback Club '98

We're trying to set aside the time to go visit Victoria but that might not work out

As someone from the midwest, I'm very impressed that even the geese are acclimated to humans here. When they land in our lakes back home they'll take off if you even think about walking towards them

The geese are protected and basically know it. They won't take crap from humans. If anything they will probably try to snap at you if you get too close, especially if you have food in hand.

Thai

Bane was better.
So I'm going to be in Van on May.18th for lunch (transit to seattle). Anyone want to meet up for lunch or something?

That "Paramount Theatre" is a strip club btw. Your friend sucks at showing you around the city as Columbia is a dive.

I think I figured that out from the dance prices in the window..

imo you haven't seen a city/area until you've actually seen all the parts, not just the mega-built-up-for-tourism parts. We're going everywhere.

I'm with FireWolf on this one, I walk through Gastown/Water street a few times a day, everyday. I have to maneuver around clueless tourists, making a stop at every souvenir shop and boutique etc.

All I see is foreign speaking tourists, Asians, Europeans, even Canadian Tourists from the East Coast, gathered around the damn Steam Clock, taking all sorts of pictures, worshiping it as if it's a damn shrine, while they take sips of their Starbucks.

I'd say a fancy Cinema of the yesteryear turned to a modern day strip club and an interesting cemetery and some dives around the city are more interesting than that Steam Clock and souvenir shops that sell "Cananda" and "Canucks" baseball caps.

I always quickly walk through Gastown on the way to Alibi Room. There are a few nice little home design/art stores, but nothing much else down there that interests me.

FyreWulff

Had a fairly solid anxiety attack/escalation so Victoria didn't pan out.

Got about 2 hours left before I get on the bus. You've been a pretty cool city, Vancouver. I'll miss you, but not the cost of you.

Gilby

Hey Vancouver-GAF, I'm moving to your city next month for school (VFS, Game Design program). I'm still looking for a place to live. I've got a couple possibilities I'm currently pondering, but if anyone knows of an empty room-for-rent starting in June I certainly wouldn't mind having another option.

Either way, I can't wait to leave Thunder Bay again. There's still snow here :|

AlexM

I'm pretty sure I'm quitting my job here in Japan on Monday and returning to Vancouver in July.

I'm down for a gaf meetup to help fight the vancouver scared of strangers problem.

Firestorm

Hey Vancouver-GAF, I'm moving to your city next month for school (VFS, Game Design program). I'm still looking for a place to live. I've got a couple possibilities I'm currently pondering, but if anyone knows of an empty room-for-rent starting in June I certainly wouldn't mind having another option.

http://padmapper.com is your friend if you've never used it.

I can hook you up at a place right next to VFS, (3 minutes walk, literally) in the heart of downtown.

with a very nice (guy) roommate who is a recent graduated from the VFS Game Design program,

Only trouble is, the place is only available for July and August.

Didja check out GameDeals while in Columbia?

Went there for the first time in the new year (been studying in New Brunswick) and realized they pretty much halved their store size. Any idea why?

And wow how have I never noticed this thread for so long, Coquitlam-GAF here!

Zozobra

Hey guys, can anyone suggest a good custom framing place downtown that's reasonably priced? Got a few prints I need to get framed, but that shit's crazy expensive!

Gilby

I can hook you up at a place right next to VFS, (3 minutes walk, literally) in the heart of downtown.

with a very nice (guy) roommate who is a recent graduated from the VFS Game Design program,

Only trouble is, the place is only available for July and August.

It might come in handy if I can't find anything else, just while I find another place. Any idea what rent costs?

Smiley90

Not allowed to vote... (Not a citizen) Sad day not having been able to prevent this.

Top Bottom