• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

12426_509257359132961_1027142180_n.jpg

LOL. I guess Kirito is our new Kira.

At least Tamako and Morgiana beat weaksuna. Sugu never even made it to top 10 wtf.

I'll expect some Valrave, Majestic prince, Galgantia, Railgun and Shingeki no Kyojin characters to take over the top 10.

At least Tamako and Morgiana beat weaksuna. Sugu never even made it to top 10 wtf.

I'll expect some Valrave, Majestic prince, Galgantia, Railgun and Shingeki no Kyojin characters to take over the top 10.

Hopefully our team rabbits makes it in, Ledo, and Valvrave leads.

Would best character Eren make it in, people didnt seem to like his personality :(

BluWacky

In terms of streaming, they contiune to only aggressively focus on the NA markets, though occasionally (if increasingly infrequently) their YouTube streams will be available in multiple territories. Depending on the title and licensor, however, it's not untypical for them to pick up licenses for all English speaking countries, or at least the UK, even for streaming. Apparently they aren't too interested in exploiting those rights, though - they're looking to exploit more profitable sub-licensing deals for physical media and the streaming rights simply come as part of them picking up everything for their primary market. I've heard it suggested in casual conversation from People Who'd Know These Things that they've not been entirely receptive to licensing out UK-only streaming-only rights for shows when approached about it in the past.

This smacks of laziness on the part of both Funimation as licensee and the original rights owners as licensors. I'm surprised the licensors aren't more aggressive in limiting what rights they grant in situations like this if the licensee has no intention of exploiting them - I know there's probably comparatively little money to be made by smaller English language territories (specifically the UK) but surely Some Money is better than No Money.

I'm not totally sure how sub-licensing works when it comes to entertainment media of this kind. In my branch of the entertainment licensing world we would never treat a company like Funimation as an agent in this regard - we don't allow our licensees to sub-license rights because we lose a degree of control (and income).

I assume that Anime Limited in particular are leveraging their close links with Bandai, Shochiku etc. to attempt to cut out the middle man and license direct - after all, anything that the US licensees produce should automatically become the property of the original Japanese licensors - but these things are always slow going.

Funny thing is that their actual streaming platform isn't universally region-locked, though, at least last I know. Large chunks of seemingly random episodes of Eureka AO were available to the UK directly for weeks on end as they repeatedly forgot to region-lock them until later. Pretty sure Funi hold the major English territories license for that particular show, though, so it's not something anyone was about to get on their backs about.

I've only really noticed the region locking with the noitaminA shows (and will now I guess with Attack on Titan). I almost feel as though Funi aren't really interested in streaming at all from the lackadaisacal way they treat security (the early leaks of Psycho Pass spring to mind...) and their continued inability to get actual simulcasts, which is particularly damaging when they license such "hot tickets" as Titan.

Not that I'm saying that Funimation have UK licenses for everything they pick-up, mind you - rights for any of the Toei stuff remain with Toei AFAIK, and I know that they don't have UK rights for, say, Index or Railgun (the main reason that those aren't available in the UK in any form is apparently more down to it being difficult for Manga to work with Geneon post-Universal). It's hard to tell what licenses they've picked-up unless someone here in the UK talks about it.

You've got better links than most with the relevant figures from the UK industry at least - thanks for the inside gossip. I'm surprised that MVM or Anime Limited haven't tried to muscle in on Geneon but maybe they're too small scale for that at present.

Quasar

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka or Is This a Zombie. It's mildly entertaining and doesn't really take itself too seriously.

I rather liked it too, and here I thought I was completely burnt out on zombies. Admittedly the dude doesn't have much in common with other zombies.

Don't suppose were likely to get more? Or am I going to have to go back to the source as per usual.

DiGiKerot

This smacks of laziness on the part of both Funimation as licensee and the original rights owners as licensors. I'm surprised the licensors aren't more aggressive in limiting what rights they grant in situations like this if the licensee has no intention of exploiting them - I know there's probably comparatively little money to be made by smaller English language territories (specifically the UK) but surely Some Money is better than No Money.

From Funimations point of view, I'd imagine that selling streaming rights separate to the physical rights would actually be a negative, in as much as the fact that something being previously available streaming in a territory would reduce what they could sub-license out the physical rights out for. It could also simply be a risk-mitigation thing as well - them sporadically leaking an episode is one thing, but another company removed from them doing so would likely add no end of additional headaches.

I'm not totally sure how sub-licensing works when it comes to entertainment media of this kind. In my branch of the entertainment licensing world we would never treat a company like Funimation as an agent in this regard - we don't allow our licensees to sub-license rights because we lose a degree of control (and income).

I must admit, I know none of the specifics of how any of this stuff works, only that a bunch of shows Manga release over here are arranged through Funimation rather than the original licensors. It definitely goes on, though.

I assume that Anime Limited in particular are leveraging their close links with Bandai, Shochiku etc. to attempt to cut out the middle man and license direct - after all, anything that the US licensees produce should automatically become the property of the original Japanese licensors - but these things are always slow going.

More than likely - did you hear that Anime Limited are bringing Shinichiro Watanabe to London MCM next month?

You've got better links than most with the relevant figures from the UK industry at least - thanks for the inside gossip. I'm surprised that MVM or Anime Limited haven't tried to muscle in on Geneon but maybe they're too small scale for that at present.

I don't know, most indication is that MVM are trying to muscle in on Geneon, at least to a limited degree - they're releasing Shana, after all. The main brake on that at the moment is more likely materials availability, in so much as most of the recent Geneon shows people would likely want have yet to be dubbed, and MVM haven't historically done sub-only releases (though I guess this is going to change with Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari).

(Let's not oversell how much inside gossip I hear, though! I don't really know any of the people you'd get really interesting information out of...)

/XX/

A laugh ingrained into my brain; Naga "The Serpent" and her own even more comically exaggerated than the 'ojō-sama' typical one.

Empty city streets that should be filled with people. Obviously drawing and animating hundreds of people is hard work so it makes sense not to do it.
Or the Glorious Future alternative:

http://i.minus.com/ibxWXgaBeqjXOp.gif
The real future is Studio Ghibli!

Further proof that Intertrack was the only dubbing company worth the bother. RIP Intertrack[/URL]
Don't forget their 'Los Gatos Samurái' dub, splendid one!

And there we go, Porco Rosso BD is listed on Amazon Japan with the cover.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00CAP5NUK/
Novelty, novelty involved! Panasonic Corp., (thanks to their Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory research center's work on Studio Ghibli's recent digital disc releases) has taken advantage of this upcoming launch to push for MGVC (MASTER GRADE VIDEO CODING) on specific Blu-ray Disc player models. This is their own implementation of the MVC codec standard that seems to be very cool; using the additional data stream to superpose (interpolate) color information that makes up for the compression loss when is used the normal 8-bit encoding for each of the three signal components, coming from the 36-bit color digital master tape (http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201304/10/32810.html). It could be my preferred advancement to come from the efforts of consumer electronics companies to promote stereoscopic 3D vision technology.

Achieving 60Mbps of data transmission unified for a single stream picture view!

Although most won't benefit from this color depth on common 24-bit (8-bit per channel) panel TV sets, this is kind of further future-proofing the editions! Also, My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service & Only Yesterday are listed as already compatible and waiting to be played on those models.

BluWacky

Ranking translations!

Most Popular Male

1. Kirito, SAO
2. Toriharon, Gothicmade (lol newtype readers)
3. Kogami, Psycho-Pass
4. Hero, Maoyuu
5. Dera, Tamako Market
6. Alibaba, Magi
7. Aladdin, Magi
8. Gintoki, Gintama
9. Jesus Yamato, Gundam Seed etc.
10. Izayoi, Mondaiji

Most Popular Female

1. Tamako, Tamako Market
2. Morgianna, Magi
3. Beryn, Gothicmade (lol again)
4. Asuna, SAO
5. Saber, Fate/Zero
6. Demon Queen, Maoyuu
7. Lacus, Gundam Seed
8. Sheryl, Macross Frontier
9. Chihaya, Chihayafuru
10. Nanoha, Lyrical Nanoha franchise

Most Popular Show

1. Tamako Market
2. Gothicmade (lol x 3)
3. Psycho-Pass
4. Maoyuu
5. JoJo
6. Magi
7. Gundam UC
8. Vividred Operation
9. Love Live!
10. Zetsuen no Tempest

Top 10 Anime Streamed On B-Ch.Com

1. Jojo
2. Girls und Panzer
3. Yamato 2199
4. The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyousuke
5. Vividred Operation
6. Tiger and Bunny
7. GitS SAC 2nd Gig
8. Heroman (!!!!!)
9. Mazinkaiser SKL
10. Arcana Familia

No-one needs the disc sales chart translated...

Top 10 Episodes (spoilers masked)

1. Vividred 9 (Wakaba photoshoot ep)
2. Psycho-Pass 21 (
Masaoka dies
)
3. Zetsuen no Tempest 22 (
Hakaze tells the guys how Aika died
)
4. Magi 23 (part 1 of
the Dunya fight
)
5. Robotices;Notes 20 (
Kimijima reveals what happened on the Anemone
)
6. Haganai NEXT 9 (...none of the plot synopsis has any significance to me so I'm not including anything here...)
7. Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 9 (Tamamo-no-mae episode)
8. Space Brothers 49 (Nitta leads the group)
9. From The New World 22 (
they travel to Tokyo in search of the Psychobuster
)
10. The Unlimited 9 (
The Catastrophe sinks
)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ranking translations!

Most Popular Male

1. Kirito, SAO
2. Toriharon, Gothicmade (lol newtype readers)
3. Kogami, Psycho-Pass
4. Hero, Maoyuu
5. Dera, Tamako Market
6. Alibaba, Magi
7. Aladdin, Magi
8. Gintoki, Gintama
9. Jesus Yamato, Gundam Seed etc.
10. Izayoi, Mondaiji

Most Popular Female

1. Tamako, Tamako Market
2. Morgianna, Magi
3. Beryn, Gothicmade (lol again)
4. Asuna, SAO
5. Saber, Fate/Zero
6. Demon Queen, Maoyuu
7. Lacus, Gundam Seed
8. Sheryl, Macross Frontier
9. Chihaya, Chihayafuru
10. Nanoha, Lyrical Nanoha franchise

Most Popular Show

1. Tamako Market
2. Gothicmade (lol x 3)
3. Psycho-Pass
4. Maoyuu
5. JoJo
6. Magi
7. Gundam UC
8. Vividred Operation
9. Love Live!
10. Zetsuen no Tempest

Top 10 Anime Streamed On B-Ch.Com

1. Jojo
2. Girls und Panzer
3. Yamato 2199
4. The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyousuke
5. Vividred Operation
6. Tiger and Bunny
7. GitS SAC 2nd Gig
8. Heroman (!!!!!)
9. Mazinkaiser SKL
10. Arcana Familia

No-one needs the disc sales chart translated...

Top 10 Episodes (spoilers masked)

1. Vividred 9 (Wakaba photoshoot ep)
2. Psycho-Pass 21 (
Masaoka dies
)
3. Zetsuen no Tempest 22 (
Hakaze tells the guys how Aika died
)
4. Magi 23 (part 1 of
the Dunya fight
)
5. Robotices;Notes 20 (
Kimijima reveals what happened on the Anemone
)
6. Haganai NEXT 9 (...none of the plot synopsis has any significance to me so I'm not including anything here...)
7. Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 9 (Tamamo-no-mae episode)
8. Space Brothers 49 (Nitta leads the group)
9. From The New World 22 (
they travel to Tokyo in search of the Psychobuster
)
10. The Unlimited 9 (
The Catastrophe sinks
)

Lols? Seriously. Lulz.

Oh god I just impulse bought a set of Ogura Hyakunin Isshu karuta cards...

I'm tempted to learn Japanese just to play the game, since I've played some similar games in the past.

Jarmel

Banned
So can someone describe the recommended viewing format for Yamamoto 2199? Like there are movies that are made up of the television episodes that don't necessarily cover everything and the currently airing television show should go past the movies?

OceanBlue

Tamako being a show that people watch and being a show that people buy are different. I heard of an idea from Twitter that a lot of people on 2ch were confused who the target audience were and that it wasn't really in line with the type of shows otaku buy. I can't say whether it's true or not, but it's an interesting idea.

Moonlight

Banned
There's a huge disconnect between Newtype rankings and BD/DVD sales. Because lol Newtype readers.
Who reads Newtype, anyways?

Speaking of shows selling, how did Tsuritama and Hyouka sell?

Also how was/is Chihayafuru doing?
Can't say for Tsuritama or Chihayafuya, but if I recall correctly, Hyouka averaged around 8k per volume, which wasn't bad at all. Of course, it'd be nice if it did Chuu2 numbers.

OceanBlue

Who reads Newtype, anyways?
I'm curious about this as well. I had always assumed it was mostly young males who were fans of Gundam because of the name. I wouldn't be surprised if it were once targeted towards Gundam fans but became a more general, varied anime magazine.

Defuser

Deal with it folks. Kirito is here to stay and with SAO's success, season 2 is inevitable which will further cement his position for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom