• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so is one able to get a wii instore yet?

fallout

Dear Nintendo,

Produce some more ****ing units. This shit is getting ridiculous.

I called EB this morning. They've had 5, five people waiting in line outside since before the store opened. Someone said they had been waiting since 9am. Furthermore, he said that they were probably only getting in a few, anyway. Sigh, I'm not freezing my ass off for a videogame console. I just can't do it and I think I'm probably going to just give up on a Wii for awhile.

Pud

Banned
fallout said:
Dear Nintendo,

Produce some more ****ing units. This shit is getting ridiculous.

I called EB this morning. They've had 5, five people waiting in line outside since before the store opened. Someone said they had been waiting since 9am. Furthermore, he said that they were probably only getting in a few, anyway. Sigh, I'm not freezing my ass off for a videogame console. I just can't do it and I think I'm probably going to just give up on a Wii for awhile.

Worlwide launch + pretty high demand = ???

fallout

Pud said:
Worlwide launch + pretty high demand = ???
Nuh uh. I'm not buying that. For the amount that they sold last month, and the difficulty in finding one, something is seriously wrong here.

MacGuffin

fallout said:
Nuh uh. I'm not buying that. For the amount that they sold last month, and the difficulty in finding one, something is seriously wrong here.
Yeah, everyone wants one.

Get in line.

I did, I waited an hour at launch for it, had it for months and am definately glad I did it. If you want one before April you know what to do..

bionic77

My sister found a few at a Toysrus outside of Philadelphia yesterday.

If you live in a decent sized city it seems there are shipments every week. You just have to be vigilant.

No idea what the situation is for people in smaller towns.

Shawn

Banned
Unbelieveable.

I was at Best Buy last night and they had plenty of PS3s. Of course there were no Wiis.

I have yet to see a Nintendo Will in a store, and I go to stores a lot.

And to think there are people still "camping out" for a Wii.

Wow.

I honestly did not expect Nintendo to be this successful with Wii.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This Sunday Target, Best Buy, and Circuit City will have Wiis. Not sure how many, but according to CAG, each store will have atleast 20. So, get your camping gear ready!!!!!

Pud

Banned
fallout said:

Well, for one, last month I'm sure they had to re-open and re-strap a shitton of boxed Wii consoles, thanks to Americans and frivolous lawsuits and general idiocy with remote usage (no offence to the smart gamers on GAF of course)... this month I'd expect the shipments to be more brisk with that situation out of the way.

But face it, when you spread a few million consoles accross the WORLD MARKET, all at once, shipments are going to be thinner than you're used to. This is a brand new console with high demand, selling in all major markets, all at once. This has never been done before (even the 360 didn't do it to this level), and despite undershipment, Nintendo's handling it quite well.

seat

I recall back in November the general consensus around here was that you were a fool if you pre-ordered a Wii, and that you'd have no trouble walking into any major store and buying one immediately after the launch or for months down the road.

All I can say is that I'm glad I pre-ordered a Wii.

dogbowl

I'm glad i bribed some kid $100 for his place in line...

When I bought WarioWare yesterday at Target, I was hoping to pick up another Wii for my girlfriend. Naturally, they were sold out, but while I was waiting to pay someone called at asked if the had any Wii's in stock. As I was paying, the clerk asked me where I got my Wii because she wants to buy one. She said her target hadn't had any in stock "in a long time"

Something must be up with Nintendo's shipping. I've never seen a Wii or any accesories in stock (since launch) These things are just way too hard to find....

fallout

I'm probably sounding fairly negative towards Nintendo here, so uh, keep in mind ... I do want a Wii and I have yet to purchase another next-gen console (yes, I'm even including Wii in that description).

MageLord said:
I've seen plenty of PS3's, but still can't find a Wii (not looking good for Sony).
I would argue that not getting the appropriate number of Wii consoles to retailers means that things are not looking good for Nintendo.

Pud said:
Well, for one, last month I'm sure they had to re-open and re-strap a shitton of boxed Wii consoles, thanks to Americans and frivolous lawsuits and general idiocy with remote usage (no offence to the smart gamers on GAF of course)... this month I'd expect the shipments to be more brisk with that situation out of the way.
Well, the re-strap thing ... yeah, I had thought of that. I never really read the details on how it was done, though. Wouldn't they just allow people to ask for new straps, rather than repackaging, or anything that would impede the production lines?

But face it, when you spread a few million consoles accross the WORLD MARKET, all at once, shipments are going to be thinner than you're used to. This is a brand new console with high demand, selling in all major markets, all at once. This has never been done before (even the 360 didn't do it to this level), and despite undershipment, Nintendo's handling it quite well.
Yeah, it's rather impressive for a worldwide launch. They're getting great press everywhere. Still, if we're to believe their shipment goals and the NPD numbers, they're not getting shit done.

Pud

Banned
fallout said:
Well, the re-strap thing ... yeah, I had thought of that. I never really read the details on how it was done, though. Wouldn't they just allow people to ask for new straps, rather than repackaging, or anything that would impede the production lines?

Well, the people that already bought consoles at launch (i.e. me) have the option of ordering new straps... but they indeed had to restrap all the boxed consoles they planned on selling, thanks to the threat of a class-action suit. My friend, who received the Wii for Christmas (his sister got it for him in one of the subsequent Wii shipments after launch) had the new straps on his Wiimote. They must've literally had to go through a million or more boxes (they've been producing the consoles since summer, if I remember correctly). This could be what lead to the shipping trickles in December, if I were to take a guess. The console itself likely isn't that difficult to produce.

dskillzhtown said:
This Sunday Target, Best Buy, and Circuit City will have Wiis. Not sure how many, but according to CAG, each store will have atleast 20. So, get your camping gear ready!!!!!
Quick Wikipedia check...
1494 Targets in the US
1100+ stores in the US and Canada
652 Circuit Citys in the US
------
3246 stores

* 20/store
------
64,920 Wii

Taurus

Rawmeatcowboy from gonintendo.com is reporting in a recent update that several Targets have some Wiis in stock. Maybe they are already all gone but anyway, maybe worth the call if someone hasn't been lucky yet in his search for Wii...

http://gonintendo.com/?p=11807

Edit: -typo

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Target gets shipment on Fridays IIRC. I will be on a Wii mission tomorrow starting at 10am.

fallout

Pud said:
My friend, who received the Wii for Christmas (his sister got it for him in one of the subsequent Wii shipments after launch) had the new straps on his Wiimote.
Interesting! I can really see how that would muck things up, then. Hm, I'd hope they would have cleared through that bottleneck by now. Eh, maybe things will be looking brighter with these stories of new shipments.

Sigh ... I really wish EB would allow for more pre-orders. Like, just say: "On this day, we are taking more pre-orders for the Wii." ... everyone camps out and everyone gets in line for a Wii. I've camped out a few times (well, shown up very early) and narrowly missed out each time, and that's just ****ing annoying.

NoA's philosophy last-gen at this point, w/ GC, to me seemed to be something like this:
'Don't worry if there are first quarter shortages b/c we'll be able to make up for it next Christmas. We have Metroid!'

That next December (2002) was a disaster for GC: even w/ Metroid Prime & the Platinum Cube, XB doubled sales of GC thanks in part to the surprise success of Splinter Cell. Then going into 2003 GC sales plummeted in Jan. falling lower than PSone sales! XB was now ahead by 1.2m compare that to a year earlier when the gap was only 270k.
So NoA out of desperation began offering (that Feb.) a free game w/ every GC bought to boost sales for Celda's coming release.

And we all know how last-gen ended: GC in third with 11 million, significantly down from the 18 million achievement of the N64.

So far it seems to me NoA is repeating the same mistakes. The only sign of hope is demand has remained consistantly high (from what you guys are reporting) this far from Christmas w/o any new major releases. But will it last once XB360 has a price drop around Easter?

Deku

Banned
Square2005 said:
NoA's philosophy last-gen at this point, w/ GC, to me seemed to be something like this:
'Don't worry if there are first quarter shortages b/c we'll be able to make up for it next Christmas. We have Metroid!'

That next December (2002) was a disaster for GC: even w/ Metroid Prime & the Platinum Cube, XB doubled sales of GC thanks in part to the surprise success of Splinter Cell. Then going into 2003 GC sales plummeted in Jan. falling lower than PSone sales! XB was now ahead by 1.2m compare that to a year earlier when the gap was only 270k.
So NoA out of desperation began offering (that Feb.) a free game w/ every GC bought to boost sales for Celda's coming release.

And we all know how last-gen ended: GC in third with 11 million, significantly down from the 18 million achievement of the N64.

So far it seems to me NoA is repeating the same mistakes. The only sign of hope is demand has remained consistently high (from what you guys are reporting) this far from Christmas w/o any new major releases. But will it last once XB360 has a price drop around Easter?

That's an interesting bit of anecdote except the only meaningful data I can see from all the text is that you see a correlation between GC's 1st Jan and Wii's 1st Jan. You may well be right, but putting aside the hardcore gamers who will need a new game every few weeks, GC had nothing comperable to Wii sports to drive mass public demand. Luigi's Mansion and SSBM are not the same kinds of games.

In anycase if PS3 continues to lag, there won't be a price drop for the 360. They'll milk it as long as they can.

Jewbacca

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Target gets shipment on Fridays IIRC. I will be on a Wii mission tomorrow starting at 10am.

Wrong.

Target gets shipments everyday depending on the store volume level. (anywhere from 3 to 7 trucks a week)

Now the Nintendo Wii and PS3 are being shipped via UPS or Eagle freight, so they arrive anytime during the week from the import distribution center.

I can understand it's starting to get frustrating for people trying to find a Wii in store. However, the first weeks of January require a lot of systems for Japan as well. Hopefully things will pick up in the next few weeks.

Also Nintendo could drop their price whenever any other company does, or even before if they felt like it. It's just a matter of how Nintendo feels the system is selling.

Kevtones

Said this in another thread yesterday but we received 10 Wiis at my store yesterday and it had been 3+ weeks since our last delivery. Me thinks now is a great time to look for one at non-specialty stores (Walmart, Target, Fred Meyers, Best Buy, etc)

jmdajr

I mean, how hard is it to make these mini gamecubes?
I think this shortage is ridiculous.

Nintendo dropped the ball.

I have pretty much given up looking for one.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
blahness said:
how easy is it to find nunchucks right now? my dog chewed the cord off of one of mine

I always figured I was the kind of person that disapproved of violence against animals, I guess I've learned something new about myself.

I mean, how hard is it to make these mini gamecubes?
I think this shortage is ridiculous.

Nintendo dropped the ball.

I have pretty much given up looking for one.

Isn't this statement premature? Isn't the wii situation about the same as the Xbox 360 was (i.e just can't get a hold of one) It hasn't even been out that long really.

As for an anecdote, EVERYBODY likes this thing and not in a 'huh, that's pretty neat' kind of a way. Of the 30 or so people I've showed it to, I would say 50 percent at least let out some kind of squeal the first time they hit their first tennis ball.

I just got home and checked the dashboard and my female flatmate clocked 45 minutes on wii sports, 5 minutes on R-Type and 15 more minutes on wii sports (in that order).

I don't think the demand will go away and it really will pull a DS.

Mifune

Mehmber
catfish said:
Isn't this statement premature? Isn't the wii situation about the same as the Xbox 360 was (i.e just can't get a hold of one) It hasn't even been out that long really.

No, it's not premature. Nintendo has dropped the ball, just like Microsoft did last year. There's no excuse for stores to be without shipments for weeks.

It's funny that so far Sony is the only company to get their shipping shit straight within a reasonable amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 sells very well in january because of it.

AniHawk

Mifune said:
No, it's not premature. Nintendo has dropped the ball, just like Microsoft did last year. There's no excuse for stores to be without shipments for weeks.

Gamestop/EB's getting a new shipment for Sunday. It's a decent amount.

First shipment we'll have received in about 3 weeks (we got six in during the final week of 2006).

gwiz210

I got a wii....in store....with a gamestop reserve....on november 19th.....

But I haven't seen any wii's sitting on store shelves sense launch, the demand is larger than the supply.

Ace 8095

AniHawk said:
Gamestop/EB's getting a new shipment for Sunday.

Our store is getting around 15, I think.
Sunday seems to be the day to go out and find one. I will get up early and try my luck.

andthebeatgoeson

Mifune said:

It's funny that so far Sony is the only company to get their shipping shit straight within a reasonable amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 sells very well in january because of it.

Sony also claims 1 million but only sold 700K. Nintendo shipped at least 40-50% more, just to the US. Let alone, they are supplying Japan and Europe. Last year, didn't MS only sell 600K before the end of the year? And I remember supply problems until the spring.

It does sound a little premature for posters on a GAMING FORUM that wants a NEW CONSOLE within the first 2 months of a WORLDWIDE RELEASE to be complaining that you can't walk in and buy one. Everybody changed their story day 1 about how easy it would be to find one. After people saw the lineups that first day, you knew it would be a sellout. We've had 5 threads about it each week. So, the demand is there and nobody can accurately say when they will be getting better. It's expected for everyone except those looking for a system. Oh well, they lose.

Besides, the shortage will cut down on annoying threads like, 'Finished Zelda...what's next Nintendooz?'

LM4sure

Banned
Mifune said:

Well it's harder to keep an item on the shelves when it's in high demand, innit? Sony is not having that problem so of course everyone is seeing them on shelves.

fallout

skinnyrattler said:
It does sound a little premature for posters on a GAMING FORUM that wants a NEW CONSOLE within the first 2 months of a WORLDWIDE RELEASE to be complaining that you can't walk in and buy one.
I've camped out and not gotten one. That's why I'm pissed. I figured by now, I wouldn't have to camp out.

Mifune

Mehmber
fallout said:
I've camped out and not gotten one. That's why I'm pissed. I figured by now, I wouldn't have to camp out.

Exactly. Stores are saying they haven't received shipments in weeks.

People can spin it to say it's a case of low supply/high demand, but the fact is there is NO supply. Of course the demand will be higher than the supply.

i still think nintendo is undershipping to create false demand hype. or they're supplying most of the units to japan.seems like they wanna beat sony in japan, as tyhat could guarantee some top developer support for the wii

haircut

Why does everyone blame manufacturing problems or an evil Nintendo conspiracy to create "artificial demand" when it seems just as likely that the wrist strap recall put a damper on shipments?

Is it because citing manufacturing problems affords you the opportunity to mention how the Wii is just a "Gamecube 1.5 w/ waggle" and conspiracies are generally fun to talk about?

Jokeropia

Mifune said:
Exactly. Stores are saying they haven't received shipments in weeks.

People can spin it to say it's a case of low supply/high demand, but the fact is there is NO supply. Of course the demand will be higher than the supply.
Nintendo has still shipped significantly more units than Sony and Microsoft at the same point of the consoles lives.

Mifune said:

Even if Sony has a great January, Nintendo would have to ship 0 Wii for Sony to possibly catch up to Wii shipments in NA by the end of the month.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I halfheartedly looked for one today in SE Michigan. No luck. Le sigh.

Every EBgames had 60gb PS3s. Guess that particular meme is true. Plenty of "buy our PS3" stock signs on doors.

fallout

haircut said:
Why does everyone blame manufacturing problems or an evil Nintendo conspiracy to create "artificial demand" when it seems just as likely that the wrist strap recall put a damper on shipments?
I hate it when people do this as well. I would have believed that if there had been a MASSIVE shipment just before Christmas. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of Homer thinking that his stock in pumpkins would peak right around January.

If the problems all relate to the wrist strap recall (and typical production numbers), I can kind of believe that and I can certainly understand. Still, it just doesn't seem like it should be making that much of a difference at this point. Whatever. I'm still annoyed, heh.

eviltasan

There is supply in the UK, I know a number of families and individuals who are getting Wii consoles a couple of weeks after preordering.

Also Amazon UK put up 1000 units on 12th Jan and they lasted about 10 minutes.

Ace 8095

Tomorrow’s the big day. Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target will all have Wii's. I'll be getting up early in the morning to go on an epic quest to finally play Zelda with waggle.

Tarazet

I got one with a broken remote at Fry's. It was the only one they had. I called Nintendo and asked them to replace my remote (which they did within a week). Sold the console for $300, the nunchuck for $30, and the remote for $50. Demented.

AniHawk

Tomorrow we're getting (aka going to sell) the most we've received since launch. Lots of controllers this time, too.

Top Bottom