• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

Retro

Holy shit, are those gaseous Space cowboys?

Yeah I actually forgot that you don't start with a homeworld.

Of course, with a universe of possibilities half the fun is going to be exploring the cosmos for that perfect world to colonize.

Personally, I'd like a rocky, mountainous planet with evergreen and pine trees... little mountain lakes and chasms to bridge. Mountains, to me, are perfect for building structures into and onto with lots of vertical room to grow.

Of course, I'd also like a swampy planet that is perpetually storming...

.... I just realized I am going to spend a huge amount of time just searching for a world before I even start building (which, in itself, could be months or even years of game time).

Same as Terraria.

It couldn't possibly be that bad... right?

Seriously though, I think they know better and from what they've said about Party Support and such, I think it'll be fine. Maybe rough at first, of course, but I hope it's no where as bad as Terraria is, even today.

To be fair the experimental soundtrack is the one with butchered names, but you're right they should have given them more descriptive track names if they were gonna release them.

Yeah, the actual soundtrack sampler is GREAT, no complaints about that and the music is actually really fucking good. I'm only 5 tracks in, but so far I swear it's like they're channeling Marty O'Donnell's work on Halo. Really good stuff.

I'd love to pick this up, but Terraria completely took over my life for a week until I got to the end game (this was before the gigantic patch that added loads of new stuff).

Really not sure if I want to get into that again...

Yes you do. Let it consume you.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oooooh... is that a Galaxy Express 999 reference?

*reaches for wallet*
I ALREADY PRE-ORDERED, BUT I WANT THE DAMN TRAIN, CAN YOU TAKE MORE MONEY?!?

Twinduct

Was hoping they'd do a trailer when announced the preorder.
Would love to have a quick glimpse of things they've been working on.

Retro

Was hoping they'd do a trailer when announced the preorder.
Would love to have a quick glimpse of things they've been working on.

Same, we get little snippets of video here and there, but I'd love a real "Trailer" with some meat in it. The Terraria Trailer alone made a LOT of people take notice.

Twinduct

Same, we get little snippets of video here and there, but I'd love a real "Trailer" with some meat in it. The Terraria Trailer alone made a LOT of people take notice.

The trailer on Terraria sold me so quickly. Hell I had people who I least expect to want to play a game like that to buy into the game on the trailer alone.

Using crude evidence. Out of the 25 people I know who bought Terraria on Day 1 only 6 so far backed. The rest either don't care until the game comes out or they're waiting to be 'pushed' over the edge to buy in.

PaineReign

Neo Member
The soundtrack is FANTASTIC! I am using it as study music right now (though I probably should not be on GAF while studying for midterms) and I am really enjoying it.

Highlight of the album so far (I have not listened to the Experimental ones yet)
Stellar Formation - really upbeat, great composition. Not sure if you can find it online anywhere, but if you bought the game give that song a listen.

edit: found it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARnxx7yfdmQ

ameratsu

So if I buy a 4-pack, will I be provided with four keys, each activateable on steam when the time comes? Just wondering if it will be easy to sell my spare copy at cost. Thanks

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Thanks Twinduct for the very generous gift of Starbound. One of my most looked forward to games (played Terraria over 100 hours, so, obviously!) so it was an awesome surprise!

Twinduct

Thanks Twinduct for the very generous gift of Starbound. One of my most looked forward to games (played Terraria over 100 hours, so, obviously!) so it was an awesome surprise!

Heh np =)

On topic: Kinda glad I went to check the stretch goal's blog post. Found a gold comment there.

34jhfpy.png

I'm only interested in getting the play the game early. So of course it matters. If they don't know when they want to make the game available, then I don't know when I want to give them money.

This is my take on it (besides taking on a concerted effort to tackle my backlog over the summer). With a game that's had as protracted a dev cycle as this (they've missed several of their own publicly set time frames) I'm hesitant to hand over money until the release date is within spitting distance.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think there is any console plans yet. Although if it happens down the line, I'll be a happy camper!

13,450 Backers ( $335,048 )

I believe they mentioned that they wanted to put out a PC version first before they think of anything else.

At the very least, we know they won an Ouya dev kit.

Twinduct

I believe they mentioned that they wanted to put out a PC version first before they think of anything else.

At the very least, we know they won an Ouya dev kit.

True. Kinda bummed, was really hoping that the beta was here with the preorder. I've honestly been keeping the store page open so I can just look at the numbers increasing.

Wanace

The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal!

The whole searching for the perfect homeworld thing sounds really, really engaging. It's going to be scary how much time I sink into searching for that perfect planet.

I am more hyped about this game than any other in recent times. Hope the beta comes soon!

wilflare

I hope this.. "kickstarter?" gets them enough money to do a day-one Vita.
but lol, who am I kidding.

trying to get some buddies in with me for a four-pack.
we thoroughly enjoyed Terraria

-that sound of cutting trees... hitting rocks-
and that zombie groan ><

Retro

Went to bed and they were just under 350k, wake up and they're at $412k. Pretty sure we're getting Plasma Space Cowboys, guys.

Retro

More people would pre-order with some gameplay video, demo for famous youtuber and a release date too.

I think even a date for the Beta would get a lot more people on board. But yes, I really wish they had pushed a trailer or something with the start of pre-orders. Nothing gets people hyped like seeing the game in action.

Nohar

On the other hand, it really is impressive to see that they managed to gather over $400,000 dollars without a trailer (though, one could argue that there are gameplay videos here and there on YouTube, and a very old trailer).

Oh well, I'm waiting for more news. They certainly will react to this massive amount of backing.

... That penguin is adorable.

Retro

Seems like it goes up about $1000 every time I check it. Fantastic.

Also, I think Cygnus X1 may be my favorite track from the sampler so far.

I really really hope it makes it to Steam Early Access so I can fund it too :/ And from the Youtube link of the composer of the game, Haiku is one of the most beautiful songs I ever heard :D

Nokterian

The soundtrack is FANTASTIC! I am using it as study music right now (though I probably should not be on GAF while studying for midterms) and I am really enjoying it.

Highlight of the album so far (I have not listened to the Experimental ones yet)
Stellar Formation - really upbeat, great composition. Not sure if you can find it online anywhere, but if you bought the game give that song a listen.

edit: found it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARnxx7yfdmQ

This sounds fantastic,yeah really that simcity vibe but in a better way then simcity it self :p

Munin

I'd wish their stretch goals were more "deeper mechanics" instead of "more stuff". I have a fear this game will get pretty dull after a couple hours. Just because everything is procedurally generated doesn't make it inherently more entertaining.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'd wish their stretch goals were more "deeper mechanics" instead of "more stuff". I have a fear this game will get pretty dull after a couple hours. Just because everything is procedurally generated doesn't make it inherently more entertaining.

Eh? How much deeper do you want it to go? We've already got a crafting system, multiple planets, a quest/storyline, several races, a farming system, a combat counter mechanic, a "warmth" bar along with the standard HP and Energy bars, spaceships, not to mention the materials to build structures which are probably a little more advanced than what Terraria is doing.

We're already getting into "this game might get a little too complicated" territory.

EDIT: Was trying to remember if they were gonna use a XP system, but it looks like they stated they decided against it.

Retro

From the AMA:
How big has Starbound gotten compared to how big you originally planned for it to be?
Big in terms of features? It's actually no bigger, even a little smaller maybe as we've cut away some stuff we felt was over-complicated or unintuitive.

It's still totally crammed with content though and seeing the content listed in a database or a list of items is a little overwhelming.

Salsa

im with Duckroll, wait and see for me

price on release is supposedly gonna be more expensive so I guess that's the main draw here

BeesEight

im with Duckroll, wait and see for me

price on release is supposedly gonna be more expensive so I guess that's the main draw here

Yeah, I'm waiting as well. There just isn't a huge incentive to purchase right now so there's no harm in holding off for more info.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered a 4 pack of the cheapest one and one of the $75 tier.

So ready for this to be available to play....also Space Cowboys!

Retro

fossilmockd5ubc.png

A mockup of what fossils might look like.

Fossils are the remains of long dead creatures scattered throughout Starbounds universe. They&#8217;re extremely valuable, very rare and very difficult to dig up. You&#8217;ll need special tools to clear the dirt and unearth a fossil. Removing the wrong piece of dirt could cause the fossil to crumble into dust. Successfully removed fossils can be placed as trophies, some have very special properties and perhaps some of these long dead creatures can even be revived.

fossilszyau3z.png

mammothskullk6u04.png

If we manage to hit $750,000 in pre-orders, this feature will be added to the final game and will be playable upon release.
(Source)

----

Edit: More details:
FOSSILS!

Fossils have been in many Starbound mocks we've shared. But sadly they've been pushed back to a non-priority. They would add so much character to worlds. They'd tie into a lot of systems. I drew the penguins and really love 'em. But gimmie fossils!

Basically, theoretically (seriously this system is 0% built, just some art is done for it) you would use a tool to carefully extract fossils from the ground. There would be a lot of fossil types. Some really rare, others really common. They'd do a variety of things like add to the atmosphere, be used in crafting on all sorts of things like perhaps armor. They might help you obtain dna for a T-Rex pet. They might help you summon a boss. They could do a variety of things.

All these are my ideas and I don't know if they'd stick (they're off the top of my head, these ideas are NOT confirmations of anything). We'd have to see what we could do. But I can't be the only one as a kid who dreamed about finding a T-Rex fossil in the ground!
yUJNCaY.png

Here's a few examples of some things we've made. I'm sure that mammoth skull is recognizable. (Source)

He's referring to this early image, by the way, where the skull can be seen in the iceberg;

Retro

Personally, I'm hoping they handle it like Animal Crossing; collect a 'set' of fossils to create a complete skeleton, which can then be displayed. I'd love to build a museum with dinosaur fossils on exhibit. This was an oft-requested feature for Terraria too, so I'm glad to see Starbound actually listening to the community. It's also nice that the next Stretch Goal is a big 'feature' rather than just an extra race or something (which are cool, mind you, but not something EVERYONE gets to enjoy).

Of course, there's also dinosaur pets, bone armor and such, but really... putting them on display would be the cat's pajamas for me.

Top Bottom