• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teyon Wants To Work On More IPs After RoboCop: Rogue City

RoboCop is one of the most popular franchises to date and has unarguably the coolest premise for a video game. Despite that, there wasn’t really a video game for next-gen consoles and the latest PC hardware until Teyon took up the challenge. This was great news from the start for fans of the franchise, especially with how well the Polish developer handled Terminator: Resistance.

Soon after its release, the game received some mixed reviews from critics, but at the same time, it was highly praised by players for truly capturing the essence of RoboCop. To understand the intricacies of adapting a classic IP and discuss the future of Teyon, we spoke with Piotr Łatocha, Game Director of RoboCop: Rogue City, over an email Q&A session. Read ahead for the full interview.

Q: RoboCop: Rogue City is Nacon's best launch to date and has been received extremely well by fans and critics alike. Did the team anticipate this level of success from the game?
A: Piotr: We’re thrilled to see how much people love this game. We’ve achieved a 95% positive review on Steam, which is fantastic, and the game had an amazing launch in terms of sales. So, what can I say? We are overjoyed that the hard work has paid off.

Q: How difficult was it to portray RoboCop in a video game because there aren't any RoboCop games you could have taken as a reference?
A: Piotr: Making the players feel like an unstoppable tank to fulfil the RoboCop power fantasy, emphasizing his slow and heavy movement while keeping the game challenging, dynamic, and fun was one of the biggest challenges we faced. I’m glad people think we found the sweet spot for that!

Q: Aside from RoboCop’s slow and robotic movement, which is lore-wise accurate, what other aspects of the character were difficult to get right in the game?
A: Piotr: One of the many discussions we had was how to approach the Auto-9 idea, making it interesting throughout the whole game without becoming repetitive and tedious.

Q: Did you consider making RoboCop: Rogue City in the third person?
A: Piotr: No, we wanted to have that immersion of being in the movie, being the character. However, we knew people would like to see Murphy on screen, so we made sure cutscenes and dialogues were in the third person, providing enough screen time for him.

Q: Did the team take any inspiration from Frank Miller's comic book versions of RoboCop 2 and 3?
A: Piotr: No, we were strictly focused on the lore based on RoboCop 1 and RoboCop 2.

Q: Can we expect to see a content roadmap for RoboCop: Rogue City, giving us a better look at the release window of new content and bug fixes?
A: Piotr: Sorry, but we don’t have a roadmap in plans.

Q: One of the gripes that fans have had with RoboCop: Rogue City is Auto-9. Fans believe that the team can do much more with the Auto-9 and would love to see it utilized to the maximum. Do you have any plans for that? If so, can you explain them in detail?
A: Piotr: The details are very simple; we currently don’t have any plans to rework the Auto-9 mechanics.

Q: Are there any plans to add more content to the game? Maybe more side quests, DLC, or potential plans for a sequel?
A: Piotr: Not at this moment, but only time will tell.

Q: Can you tell us how long the entire development cycle took?
A: Piotr: The game was developed for around 3 years in total.

Q: Since you had to get a lot of approvals over many things due to licensing, were there any ideas that you wanted to implement but couldn't or any ideas that didn't make it into the game for other reasons?
A: Piotr: We had a few ideas that we wanted to have in the game, but they were a bit difficult due to some copyright issues. However, I don’t want to go into any details here.

Q: Are there any plans to bring RoboCop: Rogue City to Xbox Game Pass or PlayStation Plus?
A: Piotr: Not that I know of at this particular moment.

Q: The game is set between the events of RoboCop 2 and 3. But if this becomes a series by Teyon, what part of the original story would you like to focus on next?
A: Piotr: That is a good question, but we haven’t thought about it yet, as we have covered all the most important topics in Rogue City. I need to think about it :).

Q: Has the success of Terminator: Resistance and RoboCop: Rogue City opened up more opportunities for Teyon? What's the next big IP you would want to work on?
A: Piotr: Yes, it has. It’s easier to talk about the future when you’re recognized as a company that can deliver something cool. There are some IPs that we would like to work on in the future, but I won’t give them away just yet :).

Q: Is there anything else you want to share with the audience? Something we haven't touched upon yet.
A: Piotr: Thank you for the great support you have shown us so far. It really motivates us to work even harder and to deliver the best and most ambitious projects we can! Cheers!

RoboCop is one of the most popular franchises to date and has unarguably the coolest premise for a video game. Despite that, there wasn’t really a video game for next-gen consoles and the latest PC hardware until Teyon took up the challenge. This was great news from the start for fans of the franchise, especially with how well the Polish developer handled Terminator: Resistance.

Soon after its release, the game received some mixed reviews from critics, but at the same time, it was highly praised by players for truly capturing the essence of RoboCop. To understand the intricacies of adapting a classic IP and discuss the future of Teyon, we spoke with Piotr Łatocha, Game Director of RoboCop: Rogue City, over an email Q&A session. Read ahead for the full interview.

Q: RoboCop: Rogue City is Nacon's best launch to date and has been received extremely well by fans and critics alike. Did the team anticipate this level of success from the game?
A: Piotr: We’re thrilled to see how much people love this game. We’ve achieved a 95% positive review on Steam, which is fantastic, and the game had an amazing launch in terms of sales. So, what can I say? We are overjoyed that the hard work has paid off.

Q: How difficult was it to portray RoboCop in a video game because there aren't any RoboCop games you could have taken as a reference?
A: Piotr: Making the players feel like an unstoppable tank to fulfil the RoboCop power fantasy, emphasizing his slow and heavy movement while keeping the game challenging, dynamic, and fun was one of the biggest challenges we faced. I’m glad people think we found the sweet spot for that!

Q: Aside from RoboCop’s slow and robotic movement, which is lore-wise accurate, what other aspects of the character were difficult to get right in the game?
A: Piotr: One of the many discussions we had was how to approach the Auto-9 idea, making it interesting throughout the whole game without becoming repetitive and tedious.

A: Piotr: No, we wanted to have that immersion of being in the movie, being the character. However, we knew people would like to see Murphy on screen, so we made sure cutscenes and dialogues were in the third person, providing enough screen time for him.

Q: Did the team take any inspiration from Frank Miller's comic book versions of RoboCop 2 and 3?
A: Piotr: No, we were strictly focused on the lore based on RoboCop 1 and RoboCop 2.

Q: Can we expect to see a content roadmap for RoboCop: Rogue City, giving us a better look at the release window of new content and bug fixes?

Q: One of the gripes that fans have had with RoboCop: Rogue City is Auto-9. Fans believe that the team can do much more with the Auto-9 and would love to see it utilized to the maximum. Do you have any plans for that? If so, can you explain them in detail?
A: Piotr: The details are very simple; we currently don’t have any plans to rework the Auto-9 mechanics.

Q: Are there any plans to add more content to the game? Maybe more side quests, DLC, or potential plans for a sequel?
A: Piotr: Not at this moment, but only time will tell.

Q: Can you tell us how long the entire development cycle took?
A: Piotr: The game was developed for around 3 years in total.

Q: Since you had to get a lot of approvals over many things due to licensing, were there any ideas that you wanted to implement but couldn't or any ideas that didn't make it into the game for other reasons?
A: Piotr: We had a few ideas that we wanted to have in the game, but they were a bit difficult due to some copyright issues. However, I don’t want to go into any details here.

Q: Are there any plans to bring RoboCop: Rogue City to Xbox Game Pass or PlayStation Plus?
A: Piotr: Not that I know of at this particular moment.

Q: The game is set between the events of RoboCop 2 and 3. But if this becomes a series by Teyon, what part of the original story would you like to focus on next?
A: Piotr: That is a good question, but we haven’t thought about it yet, as we have covered all the most important topics in Rogue City. I need to think about it :).

Q: Has the success of Terminator: Resistance and RoboCop: Rogue City opened up more opportunities for Teyon? What's the next big IP you would want to work on?
A: Piotr: Yes, it has. It’s easier to talk about the future when you’re recognized as a company that can deliver something cool. There are some IPs that we would like to work on in the future, but I won’t give them away just yet :).

Q: Is there anything else you want to share with the audience? Something we haven't touched upon yet.
A: Piotr: Thank you for the great support you have shown us so far. It really motivates us to work even harder and to deliver the best and most ambitious projects we can! Cheers!

This makes me happy

Developers who are actual fans of the IP who want to make a great game worthy of that IP

FrankWza

A: Piotr: No
This was a mistake. And I liked the game and enjoyed my time with it.
we wanted to have that immersion of being in the movie, being the character. However, we knew people would like to see Murphy on screen, so we made sure cutscenes and dialogues were in the third person, providing enough screen time for him.
I would have taken seeing his holster animation a hundred times over anything in first person view

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Aliens?

Aliens!

mXWiI9T.gif

Nothing else matters, well, maybe a Total Recall. Die Hard? Commando? A proper Predator?

It's got to be Aliens though I'm afraid. Utterly sick of pretend Aliens games. It's high time we had a proper 1986 version.

Judge Dredd seems like a great fit for the studio. I could also see Starship Troopers working especially if they want to dip their feet into co-op
Oh yes!
But I actually would want it to be based on the 2012 movie. I freaking love it and Cyberpunk 2077 gives me a lot vibes from the film.

RAIDEN1

I was going to suggest Lethal Weapon, but then they've already covered that area with Robocop, he's about as Lethal as you can get...they should do die-hard, seeing as we won't be getting another Die Hard movie again...especially with Bruce Willis likely never to reprise the role...it can only live on in the world of games...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I love these guys already. No Road Maps. No Apologies. No Battle Passes. No Bullshit.

Hell, take Wonder Woman away from Monolith and give it to these guys so I can get some glorious Linda Carter action.

They’d probably do a better Indiana Jones game than Machinegun games as well.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Big Trouble In Little China please. Ill scream it til the fucking cows come home. Make it similar to The Warriors or put it in first person I dont care.

Carpenter would be on board 1000% and Kurt Russell probably would too. Dennis Dun is also still around. Hell, I think the only actor out of the bunch that's dead is Egg Shen. Even James Hong is still around and hes 94. Lo Pan dont die.

Imagine running around taking out the Wing Kong inside Lo Pan's domain while this is blasting (56 secs in)

Blade Runner would be the dream IP, but probably too ambitious for this studio.

Total Recall would work great or how about... True Lies? Arnold kicking ass in the mid 90s, though I get they seem to favor sci fi ips.

MiguelItUp

Really excited to see what they do next. I'd love to see them do something with The Thing IP. I think it's pretty absurd we haven't seen more game adaptations of it.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'm glad they are getting praise for Terminator and RoboCop. I'd advise anyone to buy RoboCop and you can trust me as I'm an unbiased reviewer.

I think a 1st person Dredd game based on the Karl Urban movie plot would be fire. Break the floors up into sections with different enemy gangs from Dredd's past to pad the gametime. Then use what they learned from that to get the Die Hard game. I think working the other way would be tougher to make Die Hard a longer game and interesting. Maybe a DLC size solo release after Dredd. Better to have practice first using something similar such as a man alone in a building with enemies all around that have a huge back catalogue to choose from.

consoul

Honestly, I think Robocop might have been lightning in a bottle. It's fantastic and nails the tone of the cinematic original, which was excellent source material. Whether their next IP has as much to work with and resonates with as wide an audience is a big question mark. I wish them well, though I'd be very surprised if their next venture lands as well as Robocop did.

PsyEd

I would prefer them doing Blade Runner FPS. They done a stellar job of capturing Robocop's version of Detroit...which is like present day IRL now.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Aliens?

Aliens!

mXWiI9T.gif

Nothing else matters, well, maybe a Total Recall. Die Hard? Commando? A proper Predator?

It's got to be Aliens though I'm afraid. Utterly sick of pretend Aliens games. It's high time we had a proper 1986 version.

One is apparently being worked on but they've been radio silent going on a couple years(announced in 2022)
now so who knows....

It's by "Survios" and is using "Unreal Engine 5"

M6CwNWv.png

gP4xwW6.png

Vmba0lo.png

Never heard of them. https://survios.com/studio/aliens/

Anyways, I do agree, there still HAS NOT been a definitive 1986 ALIENS video game made yet and IMO that's a crime.

I'd love to see the story of "Hadley's Hope Last Stand"(the final stand of the colonists fighting off impossible Aliens numbers on LV-426 that leads to the plot of the Aliens movie.)

Last edited:
Dredd is the obvious choice. I'd like the setting to be similar to the Karl Urban movie where it's primarily in a single building. An entire game in a single megastructure built to scale and fully explorable would be interesting. Bonus points for a Stallone skin.

Similar single building setting but with Die Hard would work too.

All these different licensed IP ideas are neat, but I wonder if they'll ever take the chance to create something original of their own. Teyon's storytelling/writing is surprisingly consistent and cohesive from what I've seen.

CamHostage

Heh, it's funny to see universal praise of Teyon after all these years, knowing the stuff they blasted out in the past. They were a Wiiware/DSiWare company back in the day and nobody knew them but for those of us who had to find something to settle our itchy trigger fingers on, I never would have expected to see the name Teyon up in lights like this...

However, they earned their new rep with Robocop (and did well with Terminator too,) and they're doing some things quite right for fans. (They also weathered some tough previews to get here, and I remember jokes going around when the first trailer hit or when the Switch version was canceled that the whole thing should get nuked.) Welcome to the big time. I hope they keep it up at this level and am eager to see what's next.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I planned to pick up the terminator game they did but $40 is a lot for a 4 year old game.

I think I’d like that more than robocop but maybe I just get robocop instead.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I planned to pick up the terminator game they did but $40 is a lot for a 4 year old game.

I think I’d like that more than robocop but maybe I just get robocop instead.

It's 17 Eurodollars at the moment, it just went on sale again (Playstation 5 version)

Last edited:

FrankWza

Cool, they can start with Die Hard......
There a big gap between harder and vengeance
Big Trouble In Little China please. Ill scream it til the fucking cows come home. Make it similar to The Warriors or put it in first person I dont care.

Carpenter would be on board 1000% and Kurt Russell probably would too. Dennis Dun is also still around. Hell, I think the only actor out of the bunch that's dead is Egg Shen. Even James Hong is still around and hes 94. Lo Pan dont die.

Imagine running around taking out the Wing Kong inside Lo Pan's domain while this is blasting (56 secs in)

Good one. They can even do a raiden from MK dlc and vice versa. Make some extra $

Last edited:

Vick

Honestly, I think Robocop might have been lightning in a bottle. It's fantastic and nails the tone of the cinematic original, which was excellent source material. Whether their next IP has as much to work with and resonates with as wide an audience is a big question mark. I wish them well, though I'd be very surprised if their next venture lands as well as Robocop did.
Liked their Terminator: Resistance even more than Rogue City, lower budget and all.

These guys are the real deal.

terminator GIF
Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator GIF by Filmin

Give us the future war we always wanted to see.
They already did. And it couldn't have been any more perfect.

Top Bottom