• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to question that character popularity drives anything in the plot.

Kakashi has been out of the spotlight for long stretches.

Jiraiya died.

Tons of popular minor characters do nothing for years.

Lets take a look at the last Naruto Character popularity poll, which was published in chapter 531, on March 9th, 2011 (this was when Shikamaru fought against Zombie-Akuma, just as a reference)

Naruto Uzumaki - 6,880 votes
Sasuke Uchiha - 5,791 votes
Kakashi Hatake - 4,828 votes
Gaara - 4,239 votes
Itachi Uchiha - 4,011 votes
Deidara - 3,623 votes
Minato Namikaze - 3,477 votes
Sasori - 3,152 votes
Shikamaru Nara - 2,533 votes
Hinata Hyūga - 2,517 votes
Iruka Umino - 2,494 votes
Sakura Haruno - 2,188 votes
Sai - 2,188 votes
Yamato - 1,925 votes
Neji Hyūga - 1,794 votes
Jiraiya - 1,723 votes
Hidan - 1,635 votes
Temari - 1,628 votes
Tobi - 1,621 votes
Rock Lee - 1,597 votes
Kushina Uzumaki - 1,338 votes
Kisame Hoshigaki - 1,320 votes
Pain - 1,320 votes
Konan - 1,320 votes
Killer B - 1,312 votes
Might Guy - 1,299 votes
Kankurō - 1,214 votes
Kiba Inuzuka - 1,079 votes
Ino Yamanaka - 989 votes
Shino Aburame - 989 votes

I know it's been over two years, but I think that Kakashi is still quite popular, which is why he didn't die during the pain invasion and won't die now.

Fox318

Lets take a look at the last Naruto Character popularity poll, which was published in chapter 531, on March 9th, 2011 (this was when Shikamaru fought against Zombie-Akuma, just as a reference)

I know it's been over two years, but I think that Kakashi is still quite popular, which is why he didn't die during the pain invasion and won't die now.
I love how Iruka is still on the higher end because of dojins

Kusagari

Lmao at Tsunade not even making the top 30.

Glad my main shark man Kisame made it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't understand how anyone can question that popularity drives the plot right now. The vast majority of those characters were magically resurrected from the dead.

the breaker new waves -

I guess it finally happened.

The mainguy is a badass now. Like, permanently.

I said wow.

Took like two years but it's happening! Cue Ron Paul dancing like a fool.

---

shokugeki no soma -

Mmm, manly muscles and crying girls.

Shion~~~

Did they ever resurrect the woman from the first series?

Naruto

What a mess. I don't even know what's happening anymore.

Bleach

AQQXf58.png

Isshin = best character in Bleach, hands down, no contest, dat last page.

One Piece

Jinbei namedrop, let the new nakama speculation run rampant!

Lots of new guys again, some mysterious masked guy and that old giant. nextweekitshappening.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Naruto

What is even going on?

Bleach

So he's going to fuck the hollow out of her? Really?

One Piece

I'd say I'm surprised Luffy fell for that, but I'm not. Next time shit gets real.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hashirama and co. are coming to the battlefield, Obito and Kakashi are fighting in the Kamui dimension and the Juubi is destroying everything.

I'm not sure what's hard to understand :p

It's more of a "what has happened with this story?" complaint. On my part anyway. I feel like it's all gone off the rails at this point.

Also, am I the only who's starting to skip Naruto's speech panels?

I just skim very quickly to see if its something important but If I catch the glmipse of the words "comrade, love, hokage, my ninja way" I immediately move on to the next panel.

Kishi needs to chill the fuck OUT with that absolute dumbass shit.

This past Yu-Gi-Oh levels of Friendship power bullshit. Teà wasn't even this annoying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I just skim very quickly to see if its something important but If I catch the glmipse of the words "comrade, love, hokage, my ninja way" I immediately move on to the next panel.

This past Yu-Gi-Oh levels of Friendship power bullshit. Teà wasn't even this annoying.

I do the same thing. It's really sad how far this has all fallen. God's Beard really doesn't give a shit anymore.

Spongebob

Banned
It's more of a "what has happened with this story?" complaint. On my part anyway. I feel like it's all gone off the rails at this point.
I feel the same way, but at this point when we're so close to the conclusion of Naruto, I'm just going with the flow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I shut down my brain for all of three of them.

Just enjoy the purdy pikchurs.

Kusagari

I do as well. Anytime Naruto says anything more than two words I just skim it quickly.

LeleSocho

Banned
Toriko 231

Zebra is a freaking beast, Setsuno is creeeeeeeepy and Betrayalon of King Zaus.
3 fucking Nitro! 3. I want Ichiryu and Jirou super mad of what happened to Setsuno

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Tells someone to shut the fuck up because they talk too much

Spends like three pages explaining why

dumbyugi

Heres the genres for the 3 new Jump series for anyone whose interested. Soul Catcher(S) is music, Mutou Black is historical action and Smoky B.B. is baseball.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Heres the genres for the 3 new Jump series for anyone whose interested. Soul Catcher(S) is music, Mutou Black is historical action and Smoky B.B. is baseball.

Any idea who the writers are? Anyone we know? Muto Black sounds interesting to me on genre alone, given a good writer.

Hey homies, just got back from my month long trip to Japan. Looks like I'll get a mini-marathon for all my series :D How have the big 3 been? Probably same as usual.

One Piece 707

People thought this chapter was a mess? I must be reading a different One Piece as it was pretty focused and logically advanced in an easy to follow yet comprehensive and tantalizing manner. The final page was well worth it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bleach 535

So much text. Whenever I read Urahara speaking in this I always imagine his eng dub va's voice.

Urahara's been expelled for 100 years now?

101 years according to Turn Back the Pendulum, but we're in a flashback here, so it's more like 85 years, assuming one year till Ichigo is born in the current flashback. And I don't think Isshin's gonna knock her up THAT fast, she's awfully young looking compared to how she looked in Ichigo's youth. So probably closer to 75 or 80 years. What an exaggerator.

Tamanon

Banned
Bleach

So I guess when she was killed later on, that released Isshin's Shinigami powers. So he theoretically should have them back.

Big One

Banned
Bleach D

Ok? Cool story, Kubo. Let's move on plz. The longer this flashback goes, the more meh it gets.

Naruto C

Naruto was decent this week. Shit getting real.

One Piece C

Pretty average setup chapter this week.

Just going to repost this cause it's a good post:
The problem with Magi and why it needs a shake up to go back on track

I hate the way Magi has gone in the last few months. I think this is no surprise because I've been calling it garbage for a while now. Why is this the case though? What went wrong? I think the fact is that the manga has lost its way and is trying to pander to an audience it doesn't need to, and is hence rapidly losing its unique identity.

Magi is not a typical shounen fight manga. Or at least, it wasn't. It wasn't about characters fighting each other, but rather about journeying together to discover more about the world together. The author created three solid perspectives for this - Aladdin the Magi whose mysterious origins are a window to the nature of this world, Alibaba the begger prince whose life experiences and ambitions form the foundation of a potential world leader who could be a force of good, and Mor the slave warrior of a scattered tribe who seeks to discover her heritage and change the world as the world changed her.

This was all great stuff. But somehow, after tons of build-up and using all 3 characters to expand the scope of the world by going their separate ways, the manga completely drops the ball by abandoning all that in favor for the worst sort of "world event" possible. The laziest and most uninteresting sort. A shounen "war" arc which isn't really a war but rather a few named characters beam spamming everything to show how powerful they are. Not just for 5 chapters, not just for 10 chapters, it just goes on and on.

Characters posing, random explosions, large number of unnamed "soldiers" looking in horror and going "OMG THEY ARE SO STRONG!". This is stupid. It's not why I started reading Magi, and it's not why I continued reading Magi. It's the complete opposite. To make things worse, it completely abandoned the potential for having an actual interesting war arc where 3 characters represent 3 different perspectives, and actually show the progression of a war and valid opinions and strategies, instead of being Hero units just shattering the battlefield.

- We haven't seen Mor in almost 40 chapters. That's about 10 months.

- Alibaba's training and experiences in the Colosseum amount to nothing because he's just some Super Saiyan armored dude now. Plus he had nothing to contribute at all to the Relm perspective, and basically just hopped on the boat to get back into Aladdin's pants.

- All the characters they have introduced along the way serve no purpose other than to be flashy new armored dudes shouting special attacks and creating explosions while posing. It's stupid and boring. There is no story progression either because they're just fighting some intangible force created for the excuse of action. There are no longer any narrative objectives or interesting story elements to look forward to in this arc.

- The manga has completely lost the plot and thrown away all the interesting things about itself in favor of becoming the generic competition which it tried to set itself apart from at the start. Wasteful, tragic, and pathetic honestly.
Pretty much how I feel ever since we kept on getting training arcs over and over again.

Angry Grimace

Bleach

Aww yiss backstory son

Minamoto-kun Monogatari

give me. the breasts. fuck next chapter is going to be amazing

You realize people say "next chapter will be amazing" every fucking Aunt Tits chapter

survivor

Banned
Again!! 34

Oh boy, looks like we will be staying in the present timeline for quite some time aren't we? I really don't understand the purpose of finding Usami. She doesn't know you and seeing her won't solve anything.

One thing I did like was the despair in this chapter. Imamura realizing his life is screwed now and sucks compared to his Again life was fun to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom