• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Kurita your new avatar sux

also survivor drop E21, it sux

B4h09Wo.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eyeshield 21

Having not read the second volume, is this hidden identity thing for Sena gonna get cleared up immediately? Cause this is even dumber than Clark Kent-Superman.

Nothing is quite as stupid as Clark Kent-Superman.

Nawa ga Nakutemo Daijoubu 1
tumblr_mn2clvhl3E1qbxqfpo1_500.png

One of the oddest pillows Ive seen. This chapter had a good start to the story, assuming its not just a one chapter one shot thing at least with the two characters. Izuko seemed to have a distressing and kind of depressing life with his family situation and family that at least gives him awkward situations with Sasaki showing no restraint and invading personal space in rather hilarious and intense ways, that he made a memorable impression on me right from the start. Liked how he was and how kind and sweet he was by the end of the chapter. Most memorable scene
The mom walking in on them as Izuko was licking Sasaki on the couch, and then them panicking and Sasaki having to defend Izuko as she was all harsh and what not

7 Seeds vol 3

Not only is this shit boring as hell, none of these characters are likable. I hope Hana and Arashi never find each other. The winter team better be fuckawesome.

I honestly can't see myself liking this without it getting a full reboot.

Kurita

I remember when I told a friend to read Eyeshield 21. It was her first manga, she knew nothing about football. Turns out she finished reading it before I did.

Jojolion

This was basically two parts and both were awesome.

Josuke figuring out the leaves and owning everybody was great but the link to Steel Ball Run with the corpse and Johnny's death really has me intrigued. Shaping up to be another masterpiece.

Haly

I remember when I told a friend to read Eyeshield 21. It was her first manga, she knew nothing about football. Turns out she finished reading it before I did.

I'm revoking your ES21 badge Kurita.

Consider it revoked.

Haly

But childhood friend not knowing who Sena is cause he put the helmet on is very stupid.
She's in denial. Part of her character is that she underestimates Sena and sees him as a baby. Development happens when she comes to terms with his newfound self confidence. It's not handled with the subtlest hand, sure, but it's no Superman/Clark.

survivor

Banned
Eyeshield 21
She's in denial. Part of her character is that she underestimates Sena and sees him as a baby. Development happens when she comes to terms with his newfound self confidence. It's not handled with the subtlest hand, sure, but it's no Superman/Clark.
Eh, I guess I will see. I just don't see how this thing can be stretched out for 9+ volumes realistically especially since she is the manager now.

and moving like he's never moved before. It's a shonen, c'mon.
He is just running, it's not like he took of his glasses and no one can recognize him now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bambino!

Pretty good food manga.
Discovering the world of cuisine and all its troubles with Shogo is definitely entertaining.
The rush times lead to some hot-blooded and exciting scenes, you can really feel that the cooks are under pressure.
The art does a great job conveying this feel of speed and hurry. The characters never look static, there's always something going on in the cuisine.
I guess you could qualify Bambino! as a coming of age/slice of life/cuisine manga, there's a great balance between all these elements as cooking shapes Shogo's way of seeing life, other people and himself...
I really recommend reading it.

And some panels look great !

I was so sad that the sequel is still in translation limbo. :(

survivor

Banned
The Book of Human Insects
efB1lbf.jpg

Good Tezuka. There are some problematic issues here that always plagued his manga, but I do have to give this story some points since for once it had a female lead character and she is not just there to be the main hero's love at first sight or tragically die. Also there was a lot of sex as expected from a Tezuka manga. I do like how the main character, Tomura Toshiko, is a twisted evil person and there really isn't any sort of redemption or payback. Sure at the end it was obvious that even after she accomplished all her fame and got rid of everyone who opposed she is still lonely. But seeing how she basically killed around 5 people in the manga, that seems like a small price to pay. In a way, it reminded me a lot of Helter Skelter, both main characters had complete disregard about others and only cared about achieving their goals at the cost of human lives.

Oh and there was some :sdburton. I just thought I'd bring it up.

Wiseblade

The updates are so slow, no one remembers it exists.

But I just...mentioned it...

And that has nothing to do with the quality of the actual work!

Also: Remember when someone used to say "good sports manga" and you'd rush ro recommend Hajime no Ippo? Good times....

Shokugeki no Soma 23
tumblr_inline_mn2hoz2Ymf1qz4rgp.png

So glad Soma is such a strong character as all those panels with Tadokoro were really awful and kind of bad. It almost lasted way too long and felt dull, but his signature pose and stances and that great serious face panel of his were the best parts. Shinomiya too. I hope she at least does something more creative than Onigiri...though I really dont know anything that could be prepared to do well against some fancy French dish.

Kurita

Never been able to read Rookies, the volumes have been out of print for years here...
Guess I'll have to read the scans heh

fertygo

I'm aware of that but that doesn't mean anything.

It kinda is?
Slam Dunk done anything that ES doing good before.

Also Slam Dunk have detail that so fantastic, its really a "sport" comic. Not battle manga in disguise, that not a knock to ES.. Its fantastic for its own.

Eyeshield is fun but it's not as good as rookies I reckon.
This also correct.

And Kurita, its have good drama adaptation.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They also have a drama too if you're interested.

I have the DVD collection somewhere but never got around to watching it.

Onani Master Kurosawa - 08-10

...who was the dude who said Kurasawa had no redeeming factors? I thought these past three chapters were pretty good at showing some humanizing traits in him.

Spaghetti-tan - 41

Bwahahahaha; how long until she goes full yandere on her brother?

Kurita

I've never read a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure... aren't there like 8 different versions? Which one is the best?

Not versions, parts.
It's better to read them all chronologically, though Steel Ball Run (part 7) is kinda different, it's not really set in the same universe.

Kurita

Oh ok. I'll look into it a bit more.

I recommend watching the 2012 anime which covers the first two parts. Really faithful and enjoyable adaptation despite low budget.
Then you could switch to the manga (or wait for the adaptation of the third part).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom