• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Xbone release in December?

They would be total and complete idiots to shrug off Black Friday. The sales on that weekend usually rival multiple months of sales, not counting November and December.

There you go. The holidays 2013.

When have Sony said they are going to launch. Just a vague date sometime in 2013.

LCaock3.png

BYrSzzs.jpg

It should be obvious that Microsoft is gearing up to launch the XBONE alongside the PS4. :)

Both will launch around the same time. What does "Holiday" exactly mean in the US? Which months?

Might as well be December, how is this any less vague in reality?

It makes much more sense to launch your system in mid-November, so you have the entire holiday season in December to advertise your product, rather than in mid-December, where a lot of families have already purchased Christmas presents.

And of course, we have loads of precedent. Every single major home console since the PS2 has launched in November.

That's Xbox, GameCube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and the Wii U--every single one mid-November.

Until we find evidence to the contrary (and the OPs link isn't enough) then we must assume the consoles will launch in November in the USA.

Both will launch around the same time. What does "Holiday" exactly mean in the US? Which months?

Usually November and December for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but Hoilday in the advertising world just means "it'll be a candidate for a Christmas gift" which in turn translates to "you'll be able to buy it in November when everyone does their Christmas shopping"

I have a very strong feeling that Sony could release months ahead of the Xbone. I'm hoping for August (lol), but don't think early October is unreasonable, depending on production issues.

History shows that both companies will ship mid November - probably on the same day - with whatever they've got, and demand will vastly outweigh supply. There's just no chance Sony has enough to ship earlier and they would both rather ship November even if that means having only a paper launch in some parts of the world.

ascii42

Usually November and December. When people in the US say, "The Holidays" they usually are refering to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

I'd say mid-November is what both are targeting.

History shows that both companies will ship mid November - probably on the same day - with whatever they've got, and demand will vastly outweigh supply. There's just no chance Sony has enough to ship earlier and they would both rather ship November even if that means having only a paper launch in some parts of the world.

PS1 - September
PS2 - October
PS3 - November
PS4 - ?

ascii42

I hope you're not being serious with that purely coincidential minutiae.

I wasn't seriously trying to establish a pattern deducing that the PS4 will launch in december, if that's what you were thinking (I was doing that jokingly, though). Rather, I was refuting the idea that you could use history to show that Sony will launch in November.

With that said, November's still the most likely for both.

THE:MILKMAN

I don't believe it for a second. It will release the week before or the week of Call of Duty Ghosts.

And here in the UK we know this is a fact because of the advert during the Champions League Final last night.

Going with that, the release here should be 5th November or earlier. Pretty stupid advertising both together if one isn't there on the 5th!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
http://cdn.idigitaltimes.com/data/images/full/2013/05/24/8418.jpg[/IMG ]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/F9ctRCd.png[/IM G]

Both will launch around the same time. What does "Holiday" exactly mean in the US? Which months?[/QUOTE]

October(very rare), November and december

Yeah, that looked awful, but did they snap-in TV in the conference? I thought it was only ever the main view and they snapped stuff into it. They did snap in a Skype video feed though, which was shown as working smoothly.

They'd better get both working smoothly by launch.
I thought they did. It needs to be better if its trying to make your cable box better, you can see the video clearly on a cable box when you're in the guide.

I thought they did. It needs to be better if its trying to make your cable box better, you can see the video clearly on a cable box when you're in the guide.
Also navigating the guide with voice commands doesn't work as smoothly as during the conference. Pretty obvious it was staged at this point...

I wasn't trying to establish a pattern deducing that the PS4 will launch in december, if that's what you were thinking. Rather, I was refuting the idea that you could use history to show that Sony will launch in November.

With that said, November's still the most likely for both.

The PS3 was the first home console from Sony that actually launched alongside another console.

5th gen:
SS - May 1995
PS1 - September 1995
N64 - September 1996

6th gen:
DC - September 1999
PS2 - October 2000
GC - November 2001
XBOX - November 2001

7th gen:
360 - November 2005
PS3 - November 2006
Wii - November 2006

8th gen:
Wii U - November 2012
PS4 - November 2013
XBONE - November 2013

The launch of each system is highly circumstantial. Given that the PS4 will launch in an environment where it will be DIRECTLY competing with the launch of the XBONE (Holiday 2013). I don't see how any other kind of release than a PS3-situation is feasible for Sony.

You can't prove that "history is useless" regarding these situations. The PS3 was just the first of Sony's consoles to be specifically targeted for the holiday season + competing with another console, so the release schedule of the PS3 is all that we can really use to gauge future decisions by Sony.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yep. Xbox One and PS4 will launch in Nov. Probably the same weekend. They are in cahoots together.

ascii42

Very good point.

The PS3 was the first home console from Sony that actually launched alongside another console.

5th gen:
SS - May 1995
PS1 - September 1995
N64 - September 1996

6th gen:
DC - September 1999
PS2 - October 2000
GC - November 2001
XBOX - November 2001

7th gen:
360 - November 2005
PS3 - November 2006
Wii - November 2006

8th gen:
Wii U - November 2012
PS4 - November 2013
XBONE - November 2013

The launch of each system is highly circumstantial. Given that the PS4 will launch in an environment where it will be DIRECTLY competing with the launch of the XBONE (Holiday 2013). I don't see how any other kind of release than a PS3-situation is feasible for Sony.

You can't prove that "history is useless" regarding these situations. The PS3 was just the first of Sony's consoles to be specifically targeted for the holiday season + competing with another console, so the release schedule of the PS3 is all that we can really use to gauge future decisions by Sony.

Fair enough. It'll be interesting to see how both companies play this.

dab0ne

I feel like she was saying

"we've come such a long way in 7 months, when we ship"

instead of

"we've come a long way, in 7months, when we ship".

Edit:

After watching it a few times it does seem like she's implying they're going to ship in 7 months... hmmmm.

checking the video i can clearly see " may 14 " on the Live dashboard ( recording date)

and i believe whole Q&A would be approved by Microsoft even days before the recording probably late april/early may.

7 months = mid november as the two boxes before ( 19 nov or 26 nov imho)

PR video.

I don't think they're ready. I have nothing to back that up, it's just a gut feeling but they seem to be in complete disarray right now. There isn't much about this system that seems final.

I don't think they're ready. I have nothing to back that up, it's just a gut feeling but they seem to be in complete disarray right now. There isn't much about this system that seems final.

im sure they will be ready to ship. but most likely will end up working hard post launch to fix any problems with the OSes. i wonder if they can get RROD and BSOD at the same time.

Last night Xbox one was shown on UK tv, with COD ghosts, with the COD release date.

ergo... it is out with or before COD in November

just repeating because it really has to be before the cod date else the co-marketing arrangement and showing the console with the game is a complete waste of time and money.

casmith07

It has to release at or near PS4 release. They apparently are getting Call of Duty exclusively on XBone first...

...so if the PS4 beats it to market, and COD is done, and you basically have to wait a month to buy a DVR to play COD, gamers will not be happy about that.

dab0ne

doesn't show a picture of the console though... does every assasins creed ad feature ps4? every single COD one does... it's a big co-marketing investment by MS for COD.

I agree, but the co-marketing doesn't necessarily mean it's going to release before on in tandem with the game. There hasn't been an official announcement for the release date I doubt their going to make it in a confusing, unspecified TV commer...wait... it's Microsoft.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Seen as the footage was shot in April, when they had the GT crew there as well for the behind the scenes stuff - that would make it November.

Oh snap! That puts that to bed. Either way you interpret it. It's not November.

xaosslug

Last night Xbox one was shown on UK tv, with COD ghosts, with the COD release date.

ergo... it is out with or before COD in November.

hopefully... plans can change. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But, considering that MS has launched w/ questionable hardware in the past, so that they could launch early/first, I think it's pretty much a given XBone will be launching whenever PS4 launches, whether it's ready for prime time or not.

Yeah, I have to say both consoles will be pushing as hard as possible for black friday or bust.

Also, COD is coming to current consoles as well so their release date won't match the new consoles by default.

If MS is truly behind in manufacturing they will launch in November regardless, even if it's only 200k units for US only. No way they will miss Black Friday. Then they can milk the hype that Xbones are so hard to find, making it that more desirable.

Bsigg12

Im going to say end of August or early to mid September. They are spending 400 million on NFL services which starts on September 5th so the longer they take to get it out the more they are just wasting money. This will be for the US of course and launching more towards November for the rest of the world.

Top Bottom