• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

With all this complicated stuff, how is consistent performance achieved? With the APU, is it a binary system that works or fails? I don't understand how everything works together, but if transistors or communication channels for bits aren't all the same stuff would be garbage after awhile.

ok, we know they're having eSRAM and yield problems, but we don't know that the GPU is being downclocked. What would the potential solution to their problem be if not downclocking?

maltrain

Since the MS throwing money at 3rd partys thread is closed:

provinciano.png

https://twitter.com/BriProv/status/342420193437417472

Provinciano is the creator of Retro City Rampage.

If the rumors about Microsoft paying for developers not presented at the conference of Sony are true, would be a huge show of weakness on the part of Microsoft.

Show that they don't have any confidence in their "15 exclusives" games.

Moreover, it would be a stupid waste of money, unless it were "real" exclusive games.

Sony can make a great show with their own exclusives and some other loyal partners like Bungie.

Microsoft? I really doubt it... now even more.

chadskin

ok, we know they're having eSRAM and yield problems, but we don't know that the GPU is being downclocked. What would the potential solution to their problem be if not downclocking?

Throw away all the faulty chips which would be VERY expensive. They could also delay the launch altogether till things are sorted out. I'd go with the former.

Don't forget xbone reserves part of the GPU to the ui.

This is incredible.
Curse ?
Being incompetent, arrogant, outrageously overpaid designers is a curse ?
I'm honestly surprised they even got the pad right.
That's basically the only good news about the system.
Even better news is, it will work, or become available for PC too.

Hopefully it bombs and everyone at ms goes back to the drawing board in 2 yrs.
So they can launch the revised Xbox one-two.

The real problem, though, is ms will make it succeed.
It will take crazy amounts if money, but ms is going to turn this ugly pos and its DRM into something successful.
A true disgrace for the industry.

Same exact amount reserved on the 360. Also, the rendering of the UI will be separate from game rendering, which will be an important improvement compared to the 360, because system UI rendering will be done on one of the console's 3 display planes.

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-display-planes/

The GPU does not require that all three display planes be updated at the same frequency. For instance, the title might decide to render the world at 60 Hz and the UI at 30 Hz, or vice-versa. The hardware also does not require the display planes to be the same size from one frame to the next.

The system reserves the top display plane for itself, which effectively decouples system rendering from title rendering. This decoupling removes certain output constraints that exist on the Xbox 360. For example, on Durango the system can update at a steady frame rate even when the title does not. The system can also render at a lower or higher resolution than the title, or with different color settings.

Simple, wait till yields improve. Launch with what you have, just like they did with the 360. The Xbox 360's GPU with its daughter die of EDRAM also had yield issues, which led to low stock on launch that wasn't decently replenished until December 2005, and then there was a stretch where it took close to E3 the following year before a 360 was easily available in most places in the USA. The solution to the problem is time.

hackdog

Banned
When I think MicroSoft I think of all the times I have had to reinstall Windows because it has inexplicably shat itself and of all the times I've been waiting for an install to complete at 2am in the morning while cursing Bill Gates. So I have no qualms about the schadenfraude I feel whhen reading about the XBox troubles. But really it doesn't help me as someone who invests a lot of money into gaming (like pr0n, it's not a hobby. It's a lifestyle choice.).

How many multi-plats aren't going to fully utilise my PS4? How many exclusives are MS going to have to moneyhat to save their market share? Ultimately noone wins from this.

But is still enjoyable to watch. :)

Was Mattrick also responsible for Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface RT and Pro? There's only one person responsible for them all. The Xbone was just another casualty.

Windows phone is a decent phone os.

Problem is that it was late to the party. That and the negative view windows mobile left many people with.

Microsoft has been late to the party a lot in the last 10 years that has led to some rushed products that make little sense the way they are implemented. For instance windows 8 and its dual ui which basically is two different OSs. The Window 8 start menu is pretty freaking great on a touch device like a tablet. It was stupid to implement it in a desktop though.

The xbone is Microsoft trying not to be late to the party. They built one device that can handle all the media stuff and play games before Apple or Google or some other competitor enters the market with a media device that can play games.

That is where the problem stems from. They have a philosophy problem to address and they are doing a piss poor job of addressing.

It's obvious the xbone has the 'xbox' brand name simply to piggy back on name itself. It's a media device with gaming capabilities.

Personally, I still think they should have gone with a two sku approach. One media based, the xbone, and the real Xbox for people want the high end console specs and are willing to spend the cash. Or better yet, why not allow for a limited customizable console.

Would the GPU stuff be to avoid 360-like overheating and failure rates?

No, the ps4 gpu isn't going to be overheating either, the equivalent gpu in laptops (with higher clocks and 2 more cus) barely consumes 80watts, even when they don't cherrypick low voltage parts like for laptops it's barely going to be a 100w gpu at very most.

xbox 360 was due to shitty solder and bad design for the clamp that kept the cooler onto the motherboard. People run 300W gpus all day every day for 10 hours a day for years on end and their failure rate is ten times lower than xbox 360's.

In general gpus and cpus that are running at normal voltage with functional cooling are incredibly durable, they last for ages.
It's everything that has moving parts that is prone to breaking easily: like disc drives, hard drives, controllers etc.

Oh, so you get it but were simply dismissing it because of ..

Bias and damage control.

mujun

If the rumors about Microsoft paying for developers not presented at the conference of Sony are true, would be a huge show of weakness on the part of Microsoft.

Moreover, it would be a stupid waste of money, unless it were "real" exclusive games.

Sony can make a great show with their own exclusives and some other loyal partners like Bungie.

So with Sony it is loyalty (despite the fact they made a killing on the 360) but with MS any love is all "dirty money" and underhanded deals?

I am still in shock at how big of a clusterfuck this is.

● The worst most, mis-communicated reveal in game industry history other than maybe Saturn.
● Once every 24 hour internet check just to be able to continue to play your games
● A horrendous proprietary used game system that gives pubs and Microsoft a 10% of the profits, thus ensuring the deals one can get on Used games are reduced and having less options for every gamer
● Complete inability to rent, lend or borrow games without paying a "fee", since every game must be installed. And the fee is the price of a brand new game, which Phil Harrison tells us to "think of it like a new game", because he is an abominable retard.
● Complete fucking tall tales and fabrications regarding the "Infinite Power of Cloud" which they did because...
● ...their system is a woefully underpowered trojan horse arbitrarily increased in price because of...
● ...a piece of shit dead-end gaming technology called "Kinect 2.0" which on top of being complete garbage for most genres, also is packed in with every system and...
● ...is also a horrendous invasion of privacy since it cannot be shut off without unplugging the system.
● A console which is also, after all this time, having massive eSRAM yield issues because Microsoft is caught rushing the One to the market.
● Also, contrary to the forward thinking Sony and - holy shit - Nintendo, they won't allow indies to self-publish. For no reason at all other than to be awkward, I suppose.
● Continuing this theme, they are also much, much further behind in supporting indies this go around than PS4 is, thus failing to capitalize on the good will engendered from Indies on 360.
● And they wasted their reveal talking about TV, TV, TV, TV, TV to do a function that nobody in their right mind would do if they had a DVR, to talk about sports and Kinect and have only two real games at their reveal.
● And is now liberally peppering all their attacks with a unhealthy dose of aggressive arrogance.
● On top of that gigantic shit sandwich, they have now also canceled their post-E3 media roundtable, presumably because they're tired of being eviscerated and embarrassed non-stop since January 2013. Once again, because of shit they did and no one else.
● Plus their presentation of their OS at the media reveal was confirmed to be completely fake, which wouldn't have been terrible except the entire time of the reveal they were trying to convince people it was real. "See how fast this thing moves!?"
● One final tip: Their dev tools are also comically behind its primary competitor.

Funny stuff that is just random and hilarious and not really life ending:

● And just for a cherry on top, because this final one is more hilarious than game changing or anything, Xbox Netherlands was caught borrowing images of PS4 exclusives to make their system look more appealing (thanks to JollyCorner for this tip)

DID I MISS ANYTHING GUYZ? Because holy goddamn shit at this point. This has been without exception the most biblical epic failure of console reveals, even topping the PS3's $599.99 just for its sheer confounding, aimless nonsense since the beginning of 2013. Not a single day has passed by without some relentless bit of tortuously negative Xbox One news.

The kicker? This is ALL Microsoft's fault and they should have seen the reaction coming a mile away since the problems they introduced of their own free will has been eviscerated among gamers and the press for years now, to say nothing of things like the Sim City or Diablo III debacle.

The proof is in the pudding. Holy goddamn fuck

Wow what a debarcle.

WolvenOne

Yeah, really doubt it'd be a successful strategy. I mean, first, we'd have to assume this is a late state strategy. Microsoft probably wouldn't be doing this if their reveal was a huge success, so by default this has to be a late game strategy. This means there's limited space to affect the various presentations each company is putting out anyway.

Additionally, how many publishers out there are going to be willing to strain their relationship with Sony? Not many, if I had to guess.

Most importantly however, whats to keep journalists from just, asking what platforms a game is going to be released on? When it comes to E3 News, most people experience it through game news sites, and its common practice to ask what platforms a game is intended for. Regardless of whether they show the games running on the PS4's or not, the fact that they're multi-plats are going to come out immediately.

So, yeah, seems like a silly wasteful strategy.

Problem is that it was late to the party. That and the negative view windows mobile left many people with.

Yeah this. Not a fan of Windows 8 but I love the Metro UI implementation in the Windows phone. The only problem is like Slick said, it was too late to the party.

Klocker

I can't wait to see how it sells. Could it totally bomb given what has happened?

could but probably won't

first of all yield problems do not mean auto downclock and secondly, there is a lot to still come in the next 4 weeks
6mos
that we don't know so uh, yea premature to be assuming any DOA status for Xbox One

FWIW, I found out that PS4's APU isnt small either; ~4B and die size of ~GK104.

It's still 20 percent smaller (and much more powerful)
Yields go down exponentially as die size increases so it probably makes a good amount of difference.
(not that I like the concept of an APU)

EP8

Neo Member

Microsoft has been late to the party a lot in the last 10 years that has led to some rushed products that make little sense the way they are implemented. For instance windows 8 and its dual ui which basically is two different OSs. The Window 8 start menu is pretty freaking great on a touch device like a tablet. It was stupid to implement it in a desktop though.

The xbone is Microsoft trying not to be late to the party. They built one device that can handle all the media stuff and play games before Apple or Google or some other competitor enters the market with a media device that can play games.

That is where the problem stems from. They have a philosophy problem to address and they are doing a piss poor job of addressing.

It's obvious the xbone has the 'xbox' brand name simply to piggy back on name itself. It's a media device with gaming capabilities.

Personally, I still think they should have gone with a two sku approach. One media based, the xbone, and the real Xbox for people want the high end console specs and are willing to spend the cash,

This is what happens when you put a marketing guy in charge of a tech company. Money > Tech

Klocker

The differences in memory bandwidth and ROPs also match up closely to the PS4 and Xbone bandwidth differences. So yeah, while not perfect, it is the nearest anyone has to real world comparisons.

7850 specs (PS4 in brackets)
1.78 TFLOPS (1.84 TFLOPS)
153.6GB/s memory bandwidth (176 GB/s)
16 CUs (18 CUs)
32 ROPS (32 ROPS)

7770 specs (Xbone in brackets)
1.28 TFLOPS (1.2 TFLOPS)
72GB/s memory bandwidth (68 GB/s)
10 CUs (12 CUs)
16 ROPS (16 ROPS)

The point is, when these two AMD cards are hooked up to PCs with otherwise identical specs, the 7850 gives 2 times the performance over the 7770, even though it only has 1½ times the CUs.

If MS downgrade the Xbone further, the performance difference between it and the PS4 will be more than double.

this scenario is not a good indicator at all

I saw it deconstructed as nonsense in B3D a while back

ESRAM and other factors render this inconsequential

maltrain

So with Sony it is loyalty (despite the fact they made a killing on the 360) but with MS any love is all "dirty money" and underhanded deals?

In my opinion, this is "dirty money", at least they pay for "real" exclusives, like they'll maybe do with Dark Souls 2. I can't accept that, even when I think is awful. Other thing is paying for not being on the rival show. That's pathetic.

And when I say "lotalty", I think if a dev don't take easy money like this, would be only for loyalty, nothing more.

artist

Banned

Dat clowd.

Seriously, this "I saw xxx on B3D" needs to stop. If you have gained any understanding/knowledge from there, better formulate your opinion and post it. Reiko also used "I saw xxx on B3D" card way too often.

Snubbers

Wow what a debarcle.

It sure is, but then this is all par for the course. Nintendo and the Wii-U was just one disappointment after another..

And funny he mentions the PS3, because $599 was the only the tip..
- Delaying the console to get Blu-ray included
- Having to throw in a seperate graphics card when the Cell was 'underpowered'
- All the agressiveness about 'next gen doesn't start until we say so'
- The debable over lack of rumble.
- Removing Linux
etc, etc

People are acting like this level of crap hasn't happened before..

Not that it excuses MS, but take away the over-reaction and you are left with a level of incompetence that I sadly think is rife in the industry.

It's also sad to see this almost witchhunt shit going on lately.. yield problems are nothing new, we don't know what the outcome is for sure do we? So why are people jumping on a bandwagon so quickly? Everything MS do is being taken negatively whether it's rational or not.. (DRM is rational, cancelling a round table without further info is irrational)..

● The worst most, mis-communicated reveal in game industry history other than maybe Saturn.
● Once every 24 hour internet check just to be able to continue to play your games
● A horrendous proprietary used game system that gives pubs and Microsoft a 10% of the profits, thus ensuring the deals one can get on Used games are reduced and having less options for every gamer
● Complete inability to rent, lend or borrow games without paying a "fee", since every game must be installed. And the fee is the price of a brand new game, which Phil Harrison tells us to "think of it like a new game", because he is an abominable retard.
● Complete fucking tall tales and fabrications regarding the "Infinite Power of Cloud" which they did because...
● ...their system is a woefully underpowered trojan horse arbitrarily increased in price because of...
● ...a piece of shit dead-end gaming technology called "Kinect 2.0" which on top of being complete garbage for most genres, also is packed in with every system and...
● ...is also a horrendous invasion of privacy since it cannot be shut off without unplugging the system.
● A console which is also, after all this time, having massive eSRAM yield issues because Microsoft is caught rushing the One to the market.
● Also, contrary to the forward thinking Sony and - holy shit - Nintendo, they won't allow indies to self-publish. For no reason at all other than to be awkward, I suppose.
● Continuing this theme, they are also much, much further behind in supporting indies this go around than PS4 is, thus failing to capitalize on the good will engendered from Indies on 360.
● And they wasted their reveal talking about TV, TV, TV, TV, TV to do a function that nobody in their right mind would do if they had a DVR, to talk about sports and Kinect and have only two real games at their reveal.
● And is now liberally peppering all their attacks with a unhealthy dose of aggressive arrogance.
● On top of that gigantic shit sandwich, they have now also canceled their post-E3 media roundtable, presumably because they're tired of being eviscerated and embarrassed non-stop since January 2013. Once again, because of shit they did and no one else.
● Plus their presentation of their OS at the media reveal was confirmed to be completely fake, which wouldn't have been terrible except the entire time of the reveal they were trying to convince people it was real. "See how fast this thing moves!?"
● One final tip: Their dev tools are also comically behind its primary competitor.

● And just for a cherry on top, because this final one is more hilarious than game changing or anything, Xbox Netherlands was caught borrowing images of PS4 exclusives to make their system look more appealing (thanks to JollyCorner for this tip)

DID I MISS ANYTHING GUYZ? Because holy goddamn shit at this point. This has been without exception the most biblical epic failure of console reveals, even topping the PS3's $599.99 just for its sheer confounding, aimless nonsense since the beginning of 2013. Not a single day has passed by without some relentless bit of tortuously negative Xbox One news.

The kicker? This is ALL Microsoft's fault and they should have seen the reaction coming a mile away since the problems they introduced of their own free will has been eviscerated among gamers and the press for years now, to say nothing of things like the Sim City or Diablo III debacle.

"If you're backwards compatible you're backwards" also makes a run at "rumble is last gen" as the most pathetic attempt at spin ever.

kitch9

Banned
Some games run worse on the PC due to lazy ports. Every GTA since 3 has required far more power than other comparable games.

I remember thinking my old PC was crap, because it couldn't handle GTA4 or Saints Row 2 properly, until I played Just Cause 2 and fucking orgazmed all over my keyboard.

GTA4 is just a terrible unoptimized engine. And Saints Row 2 was a lazy 360->PC port where the game literally ran slower if your machine was clocked faster than the 360. People made mods where you drove a race, and input the time that you finished into a formula to re-adjust the ticks in the game so it ran at a proper speed.

Lol, are you seriously trying to day GTA4 on the PC wasn't streets ahead of the console versions when it came out?

Someone needs a dose of reality.

Biker19

Banned
When you think about it, this really is true. The Xbone, an all-in-one media device for the living room was always the endgame. The original Xbox, a console I truly enjoyed, was a fucking experiment. The 360 was the foot in the door. Now that Microsoft has finally gained what they see as an appropriate amount of mind-share in the public's eye, they're going for it. That all-in one media hub, a jack of all trades entertainment device. They made great gaming-centric consoles in-spite of this original goal up until now, which is truly ironic.

They used the hardcore gamer as a stepping stone. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very true, but they should've thought up on the all-in-one media device for the living room a long time ago before 360 even came, at least, when this idea was in it's infancy, just like tablets, etc. were. Now it's too late, as there are tons of other devices all around the world that can do whatever Microsoft is cooking up with the Xbox One.

And a lot of people aren't going to shell out $400-$500 plus a Xbox Live subscription just to do the same things that they could already do on those devices for much less, especially when they don't care about gaming.

malfcn

This multi-layer process is repeated at every single spot on the surface of the entire wafer where chips can be made. This includes even those areas which are partially off the edge of the wafer. Why waste that space? It’s because the early chip makers learned that if they did not fill in these areas with (obviously) wasted semiconductor material, that the chips nearby also had a higher failure rate.

How does this work?

kitch9

Banned

FFS ESRAM does not accommodate the difference in raw gpu power.

Where to people get this shit from?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Lol, are you seriously trying to day GTA4 on the PC wasn't streets ahead of the console versions when it came out?

Erm, I read his post twice, he's saying the PC versions required more horsepower for the same graphics. That does not mean that it wasn't able to be graphically superior with even more horsepower.

Nothing controversial about that observation at all. It's fairly true. And the JC2 comparison was apt, since it is super well done, and much older hardware trounces it.

lantus

You know what would be the cherry on top of all this? If later after launch we had another "You know, things break" moment. That would just make my day lol.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

It will certainly mitigate the performance/bandwith disadvantage compared to vanilla graphic cards to some extend, especially for some scenarios. I don't think he was suggesting that it brings XBone on par with PS4.

What people forget, though, is that PS4 also has "special sauce", for instance, control over cache bypassing and modified rendering/compute scheduling.

Where to people get this shit from?
This forum.

People on one hand completely exaggerating the role RAM plays in graphical power both in quantity and speed, and then those on the other hand who claim it does next to nothing, and then the very special ones who derisively refer to it as blast processing, secret sauce etc etc.

The ESRAM isn't there to mitigate the performance difference between the PS4 and XBone GPU. The ESRAM is there as patchwork to compensate for the woefully low bandwidth of the inferior DDR3 memory the XBone is using. And even with the ESRAM, it's not enough to make up the difference in memory speed.
this.

kitch9

Banned
Erm, I read his post twice, he's saying the PC versions required more horsepower for the same graphics. That does not mean that it wasn't able to be graphically superior with even more horsepower.

Nothing controversial about that observation at all. It's fairly true. And the JC2 comparison was apt, since it is super well done, and much older hardware trounces it.

The PC version will always need more horsepower for the same results of a closed box.

The apis have to accommodate thousands of different hardware combinations to they are going to be less efficient and less optimised.

Only thing is that you didn't need to have much of a pc to smoke the consoles out of the park. A quad core, 4gb+ of ram and a reasonable gpu saw GTA4 running at 1080p with 30fps and high detail.

lantus

This forum.

People on one hand completely exaggerating the role RAM plays in graphical power both in quantity and speed, and then those on the other hand who claim it does next to nothing, and then the very special ones who derisively refer to it as blast processing, secret sauce etc etc.

But ...what about the wizard jizz?

Anth0ny

holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I'm saving this post.

iratA

So MS might be launching later than first anticipated due to yields. Sounds like Sony when they had Blu-ray diode problems at the start of this gen.

sTaTIx

It will certainly mitigate the performance/bandwith disadvantage compared to vanilla graphic cards to some extend, especially for some scenarios. I don't think he was suggesting that it brings XBone on par with PS4.

The ESRAM isn't there to mitigate the performance difference between the PS4 and XBone GPU. The ESRAM is there as patchwork to compensate for the woefully low bandwidth of the inferior DDR3 memory the XBone is using. And even with the ESRAM, it's not enough to make up the difference in memory speed.

WiiU has the same amount of EDRAM attached to its GPU to compensate its slower memory, (roughly half the b/w compared to the PS3 & 360), and it didn't work as the majority of multi-platform games on WiiU runs worse than the other 2 platform even with more powerful GPU. I doubt it's gonna work for Xbone either.

WiiU has the same amount of EDRAM attached to its GPU to compensate its slower memory, (roughly half the b/w compared to the PS3 & 360), and it didn't work as the majority of multi-platform games on WiiU runs worse than the other 2 platform even with more powerful GPU. I doubt it's gonna work for Xbone either.

There are different types of eSRAM.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I know. My point was not about comparing the raw compute power of XBone's and PS4's GPU. But that also was not the point of the poster that started this sub topic.

It was about the validity of comparing XBone/PS4's GPU to vanilla graphic cards.

Comparing the XBone/PS4's GPU to a graphics card with similar main memory setup, CUs, clock and ROPs is just not really accurate. Of course, ESRAM ist not a game changer, but it certainly (and only to some extend) mitigates the overall performance disadvantage of XBone compared to a graphics card that has only DDR3 and nothing else.

kitch9

Banned
This forum.

RAM bandwidth plays a massive part in graphical quality. The PS3's ram can supply around 2GB of data to the GPU per frame in a 60fps game, whilst the Xbone's less than 1GB when there is no post processing done.

The ESRAM will help when it comes to adding post processing effects after the first render pass on the frame is completed by the GPU etc but it won't really help by getting more data to the GPU when the raw frame is actually being put together, apart from maybe the odd tweak here and there. Post processing as a second render pass on the frame can take a lot of frame time as it is GPU and bandwidth heavy so the ESRAM will definitely help there, but again the GPU is a big part of the equation in this, and its not like the PS4 will be bandwidth starved in this area either and it has a faster GPU to process the changes.

Its becoming a doubt as to whether the 360's GPU could actually process 1GB of data per frame anyway as its looking to become the bottleneck itself looking at the specs of it.

Games on the PC have regularly been hitting 2GB of unique data per frame at 1080p recently so you can see the logic behind the PS4's design, and the non logic behind the Xbox ones.

This is in basic terms of course as every engine is different in its hardware requirements.

Biker19

Banned

I also agree. It isn't exactly the same like it is for PS3 by using both it's GPU plus the cell architecture to get the most out of the hardware (graphics-wise) when it came to most of their 1st/2nd party titles (& some 3rd party titles from 3rd party publishers as well).

Chrisness

Banned

Someone needs a dose of reality.

No, he was saying the games weren't optimized properly and needed far more power to get respectable framerates than needed on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom