• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

acony - 02

Ah, Misono-san.

UPTrsnv.png

unf unf

I feel somewhat obligated to mention/post this:

One thing that Japanese fans like to say is that Toume belongs to a trio of successful mangaka: namely Hiroaki Samura, Benkyou Tamaoki and herself. To me this sounds like an Unholy Trinity, but there&#8217;s good reason for grouping the three together. All of them studied during the same period at Tama Art University in Setagaya, Tokyo. Apparently Toume was a senior when Samura joined, and she forced him to cross-dress for the university festival. Tamaoki entered the university a bit later, so Toume was already gone, but she knew him from working in the manga industry and of course through Samura, who was still around at Tama. The three of them collaborated on a doujinshi at one point. To top it off, I have seen claims on the net that Toume actually advised and instructed Samura on the art of drawing.

GIRLS OF THE WILD'S

ahahahahah Dal Dal.

SNK

Why does everything has to be so dramatic? Manga! Sometimes, i swear....

Bleach:

Okay... as much as I am curious to see Ichigo's true power this doesn't make sense. If that's been his quincy power this whole time... why did he never teach him how to create a quincy arrow? why try to stop him from learning the FGT? isn't that what he wanted from the start? (for ichigo to lose his shinigami powers) Also... if ichigo has been using this fake zanpakuto this whole time... why has his hollow form been using the same as well? how has he been able to level it up this whole time? someone explain how that zanpakuto knows the getsuga tensho? how is ichigo beasting on everyone with a fraction of his powers?

it. doesn't. make. sense.
It makes perfect sense. How would fake Zangetsu teach him quincy arrows while quincy powers was not awakened? His hollow form is his true Zampakto.

Blusby

Read the first volume of Pandora Hearts, it's all comin' back to me. Also dropped Bokurano, too depressing. On an unrelated note regarding my dropping of it i'm convinced that Kitoh is a hebephile.

Akito

I read Bokurano recently and didn't find it too bad, the premise was already giving away the fact that they would all die, Narutaru was way more deceptive at the beginning and way more brutal at the execution. That said I don't really remember that much about Narutaru anymore and that probably has its reasons.
I'm feeling compelled to reread it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I was able to read bokurano without much revulsion but what I've heard about narutaru really put me off.

Like, I don't recall any brutal rape in bokunaro.

Dr frost 38

Aw, that was pretty touching. I do wonder how accurate some of these psych evaluations are, but apparently dude uses psychologists as consultants.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dr frost 58

Caught up. Would be interesting to finally see what caused the rift between baek and the woman. Seems like the manhwa is now being scanlated at a pretty decent clip, so that's pretty awesome.

Really liked what I read. Nothing feels really extravagant. Every case (except probably the idol one) are just regular people who suffers from various well known psychological problems, and I like how grounded the premise is. Dr Baek fits into the Dr house role of genius diagnostician who's pretty quirky, though for him it's more coldness than being a rude asshole. Like house he get frequent flashes of a mysterious past that helps create an interesting narrative backbone other than the case of the day format of the manhwa, as well as fleshing out the character instead of making him seem like some sort of psychology ubermensch.

Also his interactions with assistant yoon is too cute.

As far as manhwa goes I'd say this is definitely one to read.

wonzo

Banned
Sukeban Deka 1.1

There doesn't seem to be any bulletproof Yo-Yo's in sight just yet but starting off the series in an oppressive female youth detention facility run by a ruthless director makes it no less entertaining. That Bunkoban cover is godlike too.

Boku wa Mari no Naka 16

Yeah, nothing really happened in this chapter apart from Mari slipping up just a bit, I do wonder when her friends gonna confront her about all her fuckups.

wonzo

Banned
Ano Ko no Ie 1

Huh, this started off pretty nice and and all but took an unexpectedly morbid turn towards the end. The art has this really soft feeling to it that it almost feels like you're wearing a nice big fluffy blanket while reading it which says a lot about this as it's currently freezing here. I wonder if it's gonna go in the direction that I think it is but I'm definitely gonna stick with this series regardless.

You know what'd be pretty badass?

If on Wednesday, Orochimaru makes a call back to Part 1.

"....remember when I placed my life in your hands, and you didn't want to save my sealed arms, eh Tsunade? Because I remember."

OceanBlue

Detective Conan the last 100 or so chapters

Is it me or has there been a lot more plot since the new characters were introduced? Well, it's been a while so I don't know for sure, but I'm not complaining! They're a great way to mix up the dynamics of the plot and I think they're all really interesting as well. I wonder if I should try and keep up with the series weekly now or let a few chapters build up again.

These chapters have had plenty of Ai which I've also enjoyed as well :3. All-in-all, I'm glad I revisited this series, since I'm finding all of the characters a lot more charming than I remember.

wonzo

Banned
Left Hand of God, Right Hand of the Devil 39-51 (Horror 4: The Black Picturebook)

Okay, so this one's about an insane father who murders people and draws it all so he can show it totorment his disabled daughter in the form of various picturebooks. This continues until he finally snaps when she works out what's been going on and decides to
try and cook his own daughter. Of course, not before Sou shows up thanks to his many horrific nightmares leading him there and ends up saving the day as usual.

also bleeding cakes

Kurita

Ahiru no Sora vol 1-3
iFTpXbz8n1rVk.jpg
idYf4VMsMw9sn.jpg
ibdBA44j9mUVEv.jpg

Damn, what a great manga this is.
I'm already hooked, easily the best basket-ball shonen since Slam Dunk. Kuroko's Basket wishes it was as good as this manga.
The main team is quite likable, Sora is a good MC despite being the usual "short kid who is really talented OMG!!".
The Hanazono brothers are also both great characters, Chiaki is without a doubt one of the best characters in the manga so far. It's pretty obvious that they'll be the main players of the team along with Sora but I don't mind since they're cool. I also dig the remaining three players. They aren't good players but they remind me of the Ha-Ha brothers from Eyeshield 21 so I can't help liking them.
There's a lot of humor, that's always nice to see. Even the author admits that he doesn't want the manga to be a really serious series.
The art is also quite good, the author knows how to draw epic scenes as well as more light-hearted and funny stuff.

flawfuls

Fantasy World Jun volume 01

Holy shit this was absolutely incredible. It's about an aspiring mangaka and his wild imagination. It doesn't have much of a story or even text, it's mostly just brilliant imaginative artwork flowing together in an abstract dreamlike way.

And here is an amusing bit of relevant 60's mangaka drama that I stole from the comments of the translator's website.

Actually, Jun won the Shogakukan Manga Award, Tezuka got jealous because it was competing with his life work, Hi no Tori, published on the same magazine. Being asked by a fan, he said that Jun was not a great example of the art of manga.

Apparently, Ishinomori was so offended by this statement that he almost canceled Jun at the time. But after that, Tezuka personally asked forgiveness to Ishinomori and as good admirer and follower of the great master, he accepted the apology and continued to publish the work.

Tezuka was very competitive and envious of the talent of others, and clearly Ishinomori was proving to have it in abundance. He also attacked Shigeru Mizuki saying that he has not drawing skills and the fact that he lost his left arm (Mizuki was left-handed) has nothing to do with it since there's nothing that the human body cannot accomplish with willpower. He also said that he could do better horror stories any time he wants.

Yeah, Tezuka was hardly the Mr. Nice Guy he's usually portrayed as.

Oh Tezuka.

Silva 20

Pool chapter!

Waratte! Sotomura-san 32

New character could be interesting if they actually showed more time her spending with the main character.

Cwarrior

You mean the cover? I have no idea. The actual manga is by Shinji Wada and looks nothing like the cover art.

I think i found another one by the same artist

It's made by Noriyoshi Ohrai.

Thanks I Googled the name and I got some amazing 80s retro vibe art, looks like Noriyoshi Ohrai made the movie poster for the star wars movie in japan, it's manga covers and godzilla movie covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom