• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #123 - "Misinformation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRW810

Theme - "Misinformation"

Misinformation is the UNINTENTIONAL spread of false or inaccurate information. It is not malicious lies or intentional in any way; that is disinformation, and that's not what we're after.

Word Limit: 1500

Submission Deadline: Friday, 28th June by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, 29th June, and goes until Monday, 1st July at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective #1: Part of a series

Some of the best short stories out there are a part of a series. Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, even my beloved Dark Tower saga had a single short story entry. I would like you to tell your story as if it isn't the first and last time we've seen that character or world, even if it is. Create backstory or allude to an unwritten future event. Make up in-jokes, a running theme, a character quirk or references that make the reader feel like there's more to it than a one-off. Craft your characters, setting or events in a way that introduce them, but as if we're familiar already.

To be clear, I'm not requesting you to write a sequel to an existing work (although you are free to); the important thing is to give the impression this story is part of a series, that the story world and characters are alive before and after we read your entry.

Optional Secondary Objective #2: How about 1,000?

I wanted to make the word limit 1,000 to promote succinct writing and editing, but I added a bit more freedom for writers who are already efficient in that area and would appreciate more leeway. A word limit is a maximum, not a guide, and every Challenge allows you to go as far under as you like. But why not make an effort to keep the story under 1,000? Don't see it as a wasted 500 words but a tight and effective 1,000?

Ernest Hemmingway once wrote a short story using just six words: "Baby shoes: For sale, never worn." Is that story really missing anything? It creates the perfect scenario for your mind to ponder. It has a real impact with a single sentence. There is some wonderful micro fiction out there, stories told with less words than the blurb of a full-length novel. But this Challenge isn't encouraging that level of brevity, but it just proves a thousand words isn't a restriction at all.

Keep dialogue sharp, descriptions brief and settings instantly recognisable. Cut excess, unnecessary filler. Don't ramble. Keep it flowing, keep it tight.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Entries:

adj_noun: Has-No-Home and the Crone of Kira Tell
Chainsawkitten: Short Autobiographical Stories
mu cephei: untitled
Cyan: Herostratos
Ward: Abe Zanarkand’s Merry Quest to Determine Who Marries Mary
multivac: Will Eat Food for Work
Mike M: Next Time Maybe Try Calling Collect?
Ashes1396: He's dead.
Tangent: "Learning to Fly"
GRW810 The Five Orbs of All-Lands - Open Wounds

Ashes

Banned
lol. I did this in the last thread. :p

edit: a very decent compromise. looking forward to the shorter entries.

GRW810

lol. I did this in the last thread. :p
Ha, you did! And it very nearly put me off. Sheesh, Ashes, you're pretty much solely responsible for halting the posting of this Challenge this evening!

I'm sorry about that, but maybe you can approach it from a different angle somehow? In my defence my wife gave me this idea last time I won a month or two ago so it's been waiting in the wings.

By the way I'll get some feedback for your Age entries to you all as soon as I can, so keep an eye out.

Ashes

Banned
A shame I couldn't pull it off. A second bite at the cherry, eh? My compliments on your wife's taste.

Cyan

Banned
Ten days right? I going to actually give this one a shot, assuming I don't miss the deadline again :p

Hurrah! Well, it looks like GRW actually gave us the correct deadline, so hopefully that won't be a problem this time. ;)

Ashes

Banned
btw, we've had a sentence long entry a couple of times. Our very own crowphoenix, did one once. six words too, if I recall correctly.

Excellent theme! I've already started working on an idea set in my recurring fantasy world, hopefully I can meet the secondary optional secondary and won't need the extra 500 words.

Sober

Nice theme. Maybe the small word count will get some more people in. I wouldn't mind reading a few more stories. Remember when #100 was like 20+ entries?

That being said I should also not write everything three hours before submission.

Ashes

Banned
THE MODS ARE ON TO US. HIDE!!!!!*

or just plain old run for your lives. either will do.

congrats dresden. ;)

Cyan

Banned
Ooh, I've got an idea.

More disinformation than mis, but oh well. :p Also likely to come off as didactic.

Victory!

I have a perfect story for the theme but am already 2000 words in and don't think I can finish in less than 4000 (and not within the deadline).
A man falls in love with the nextdoor little girl whom he spies on. Surprisingly, she responds to his voyeurism and a distant relationship develops, never having said a word to eachother. She puts on shows for him. [DOUBLE SPOILER]Actually, she doesn't know he exists, but neither he nor the reader knows that.[/DOUBLE SPOILER]
Instead, I'm writing a shorter piece which has nothing with the theme to do.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have a perfect story for the theme but am already 2000 words in and don't think I can finish in less than 4000 (and not within the deadline).
A man falls in love with the nextdoor little girl whom he spies on. Surprisingly, she responds to his voyeurism and a distant relationship develops, never having said a word to eachother. She puts on shows for him. [DOUBLE SPOILER]Actually, she doesn't know he exists, but neither he nor the reader knows that.[/DOUBLE SPOILER]
Instead, I'm writing a shorter piece which has nothing with the theme to do.

Oh that one couldn't possibly end well...

GRW810

Maybe I should have come up with a story idea first then used the theme for the challenge? That unfair advantage would have been really useful, because I can't come up with anything. Got this afternoon to myself so I'm going to brainstorm. I don't want another last-minute one-draft submission, I want to start doing these challenges properly.

EDIT: Scrub that, I have an idea. Though whose stupid idea was it to impose a lower word count?

Ashes

Banned

You should post it in the writing thread. I've been meaning to read longer works of short story fiction.

I was going to write a short story for the annual summer master-class thread, but I haven't seen the said thread pop up yet. I was thinking of writing around 5000 to 10000 words. Of course this is bouncing off of a longer term project from the discussion in the last thread; on reflection, if writing everyday makes me a better writer, I'm probably better off doing exactly that. I'm not 100% in on that, but I'm definitely thinking of doing this in July.

As to this thread, I've written the first draft. I'm happy with it. I'm giving it a few days in the draw, so I can do a fresh redraft, tonight, or tomorrow, before posting it.

So I've started and stopped two stories already, and if I don't haven't solid by tomorrow afternoon, I'll take it as a sign. But I'll at least be voting this round so that I'll feel like I am actually, you know....doing something.

mu cephei

I've written around 700 words towards this. Here's hoping I

i) manage to finish it
ii) knock it into shape
iii) don't chicken out of posting it.

I'm posting this as a precaution against the above.

GRW810

As the deadline approaches, good luck everyone! Looking forward to reading everyone's submissions, as always.

I didn't get around to doing feedback as promised for the last challenge, which makes me a terrible person. I'm going to have to start doing it along with my votes otherwise I rarely find the time or even remember. A critique is the least writers deserve for slaving away at their screens.

I'm a final readthrough and edit away from posting my story for this challenge. Feels refreshing to have avoided the last-second panic I usually put myself through.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm just not having a productive month on these. Work has just been a beast lately, siphoning what mental energy I would otherwise be bringing to bare on the past few entries : /

Sober

Ooh, I've got an idea.

More disinformation than mis, but oh well
. :p Also likely to come off as didactic.

Victory!
I just did a that as well!

But I haven't written anything yet so I can still try to come up with something else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom