• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the most underrated game console system of all time?

SantaC

Gold Member
I'd say SEGA's Master Sytem. It was always in the shadow of the NES and Genesis was seen as the popular SEGA system back then. However Master System had some amazing games, and it also had better graphics (and sound?) capabilities than NES did.

sega-master-system.jpg

<3

Some great games for Master Sytem:

Ghost House (first game I ever played for MS)
1524.jpg

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
1400.gif

Ys(first RPG I ever played)
ys-ancient-ys-vanished-omen.jp3.png

Sonic
1306.png

Zillion
1715.jpg

Wonderboy in monster land
1662.jpg

Lord of the sword
1563.gif

Enduro racer
879.jpg

Outrun
outrun.gif

Fantasy Zone
fantasy_zone.gif

Choplifter
choplifter.gif

Psycho fox
psycho_fox.gif

Secret Commando (my personal favorite)
1085327869-00.png

RyltarX

I'm with you on the Master System, I'd say Dreamcast but it was pretty loved by owners and critics, it just didn't translate to money.

seat

Tieno said:
I predict this thread will devolve into nostalgic dreamcast tales.
Well that would be true to this thread, along with the Saturn. Both fantastic, underrated systems.

VALIS

3DO.

The general opinion of the 3DO seems to be shit, but it actually had a lot of fun, unique stuff. And a lot of shit, too, but overall there were a good 2 dozen games worth playing at least.

NES. Every other system is overhyped.

The topic is most underrated, not best. How the hell could the NES be underrated? It sold 9 jillion units and most people loved it.

SantaC

Gold Member
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The Gamecube. It suffered more its bad reputation then its real strentghs/weaknesses.

It's legimate to say gamecube if it had ended after January 2005.

Tailzo

Well, Sega consoles in general. Since I can still plug them in and play a lot of great games on them. But at the time, they usually didn't sell as well as the competition. (Except the Genesis.)

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The Gamecube. It suffered more its bad reputation then its real strentghs/weaknesses.
Agreed. People will say the Dreamcast, but that was just undersold, not underrated. The Gamecube was, in my opinion, better than the N64 by far, and had the single best console controller of all time. It had a very solid library if a small one, and was a fun and affordable companion to my PS2.

[Nintex]

I guess it's the GameCube.
Alot of people ignored the system and its great games.
Resident Evil 4, Killer-7, Metroid Prime, The WindWaker(people start regretting now when it's to late.), F-zero GX and the list goes on and on.

The GameCube was awesome one of my favorite systems, especially hardware(tech-specs) wise. The design wasn't bad either the small discs are kinda High-Tech and so is the system.
gamecube-0007.jpg

<3 GameCube

Edit: wow, at that saturn shot, reminds me I need to buy one.

Ranger X

The underdog is always SEGA.

This thread will come with a conclusion that will be either Master System, Saturn or Dreamcast.

weepy

Oblivion said:

Should be remembered for the last moments where EAD still had it.

Damn straight! And it could be said that this system's games set the bar for future titles...

Anzu

Banned
_leech_ said:
huge picture of the most awesome console ever

Agreed. Saturn was my favourite before the PS2 era. Guardian Heroes was my favourite game of all time, and Shining Force 3/Panzer Dragoon Saga were my favourite RPGs.

I miss them so much. I wish they'd release them on PSN or something. Guardian Heroes would be absolutely amazing on the PS3 since you can have 7 controllers on at once. If it was online multiplayer/co-op, I'd cum.

Those Saturn classics need revivals!

turkification said:
N64. A really good console. But made 1 big mistake --> no CD support.

Agree. Even with some loading charging times, the CPU and GPU would have compensed more then enough the 2x CD.
Ocarina of Time and Stamper's Rareware have helped me forget that problem anyway.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I'm interested to see what the opinion of the system will be maybe 5 years from now. I think the N64 took a lot more flack at the time, but since then has gotten a lot more praise. Not saying the same thing will (or should) happen with the GC, but it's interesting that opinions can definitely change over time.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The Mattel Intellivision
intellivision.jpg

First home console with directional-pad controllers.
First home console with shoulder buttons on controllers.
First home console to feature games with speech.
First home console to feature a licenced sports game.
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
NES. Every other system is overhyped.
The only thing worse than this statement is that there are others who agree with you.

Krowley

I would say the 3DO. It was too expensive and it died prematurley, but there were some really great games and it had good western 3rd party support for a little while.

I had lots of fun with mine.

Threi

notag
dog$ said:
The only thing worse than this statement is that there are others who agree with you.

*fake laughter*

I said that because i expected this thread to become a dreamcast love-in.

Amir0x

Banned
41GFKKDBD3L._AA280_.jpg

zerogx_072303_x2.jpg

F-Zero GX - Arguably the greatest racing game ever made. The difficulty level is honed to perfection as you fight for every milisecond of time, every microscopic inch of space on the track in order to master the game. Unbelievable sense of speed and last second finishes create an adrenaline rush unlike any other.

pikmin-2-20040602105535387.jpg

Pikmin 2 - The epitome of how to improve with a sequel. Every last aspect of this game changes what was a mediocre series into a ****ing brilliant, generation defining event. And with a great 2player mode and a challenge mode, the replay value is great as well. I still pop it in occasionally, if only to hear the soothing soundtrack.

fire-emblem-path-of-radiance-20050923024643960.jpg

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - The classic strategy RPG series comes to the Gamecube in all its glory. I say 'glory' relating to its gameplay - although its graphics and presentation can use work, it has near unparalleled gameplay and can provide many many hours of enjoyment. Even if you're not a big fan of the genre, give it a shot.

paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door-20041007013520449.jpg

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door - Containing what has to be one of the all time greatest game translations, here's a sweet, genuinely funny RPG which uses the Mario universe to provide all sorts of fanservice and in-jokes that will have anybody with a little bit of gaming experience under their belts in stitches. The gameplay also suppliments this with a simple, yet effective combat system which requires some participation to become the best. With an audience too!

primeugenegc11.jpg

Metroid Prime - There are haters for the game, but as a series regardless of how well you think it fits Metroid it is a phenomenal title. Utilizing several innovations - from the visor to the unique way the game handles platforming in first person, this title is a real experience. The visual style is distinctive and pulled off extremely well considering the hardware - it's one of the best from this gen.

mariosunshine_082002_14.jpg

Super Mario Sunshine - The ultimate vacation game. Mario's acrobatics are at an all time high here, and it results in one of the most purely fun gaming experiences from the past generation. There are some who complain about the variety, and I'd say it is a problem for some... but I found it to be extremely refreshing to see multiple angles on this beautiful island. The FLUDD-less segments that come in now and then are extremely gratifying and some of the best platforming of any 3D game made.

zedlausfinaleng5.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Recently I replayed Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask back to back and then went on to WW. I was pretty down that I saved this for last as I always remembered those two games being much more enjoyable. Boy, nostalgia sure is a bite in the ass. Wind Waker is so much better then these games - a hundred times more fluid, it doesn't feel sluggish, graphics that don't rape your eyes, and controls improved in every conceivable part of the game. It falls back, of course, in dungeon design and amount of dungeons... but in the end, the sum of its part is a game that looks better, sounds better and controls better and that wins for me personally. It's also one of the most beautiful games ever made, with an artstyle so fully realized it could be considered a substantial leap for storytelling in videogames.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-wii-version-20060607043209083.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The Gamecube edition, undebatably the superior version of the game and worthy of all the sales (even though Nintendo raped its chances), is really a joy from start to end. Siren song of OLD NINTENDO... and I pretty much can't say anything that hasn't already been said.

I used to think it was the N64, but that seems to have a lot of fans now. Now I think it's GameCube because everyone always bashes it. Don't know why people be hatin' on Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Double Dash (some of the best tracks in the series). It also had some great Capcom games, F-Zero GX, Jungle Beat and Pikmin! Oh, and the return of Metroid! Oh, and forgot Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing (Wave Race/1080 weren't bad, either).

Great post Amir0x. If I think to Paper Mario....this game has made me laugh moe then every other game. :lol :lol

EDIT: you can add:

Super Smash Bros. Melee

hht132.jpg

Tales of Symphonia

mithos.jpg

Baten Kaitos

screen2.jpg

screen4.jpg

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's a hard toss up between DC, saturn, and GC all had some fantastic products but get bashed due to weak perceptions of the systems.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
CDI.

I kid. I kid. :lol

In all seriousness, the Saturn and Gamecube were highly underrated during their time.

Threi

notag
Hatorade said:
It's a hard toss up between DC, saturn, and GC all had some fantastic products but get bashed due to weak perceptions of the systems.

DC doesn't get bashed very often from my experiences. I haven't played Saturn, and playing GCN games now i feel the system was kinda underrated. I guess image DOES mean a lot.

Amir0x said:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GFKKDBD3L._AA280_.jpg

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/zerogx_072303_x2.jpg

F-Zero GX - Arguably the greatest racing game ever made. The difficulty level is honed to perfection as you fight for every milisecond of time, every microscopic inch of space on the track in order to master the game. Unbelievable sense of speed and last second finishes create an adrenaline rush unlike any other.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/520/520540/pikmin-2-20040602105535387.jpg

Pikmin 2 - The epitome of how to improve with a sequel. Every last aspect of this game changes what was a mediocre series into a ****ing brilliant, generation defining event. And with a great 2player mode and a challenge mode, the replay value is great as well. I still pop it in occasionally, if only to hear the soothing soundtrack.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image...emblem-path-of-radiance-20050923024643960.jpg

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - The classic strategy RPG series comes to the Gamecube in all its glory. I say 'glory' relating to its gameplay - although its graphics and presentation can use work, it has near unparalleled gameplay and can provide many many hours of enjoyment. Even if you're not a big fan of the genre, give it a shot.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image...-the-thousand-year-door-20041007013520449.jpg

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door - Containing what has to be one of the all time greatest game translations, here's a sweet, genuinely funny RPG which uses the Mario universe to provide all sorts of fanservice and in-jokes that will have anybody with a little bit of gaming experience under their belts in stitches. The gameplay also suppliments this with a simple, yet effective combat system which requires some participation to become the best. With an audience too!

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/primeugenegc11.jpg

Metroid Prime - There are haters for the game, but as a series regardless of how well you think it fits Metroid it is a phenomenal title. Utilizing several innovations - from the visor to the unique way the game handles platforming in first person, this title is a real experience. The visual style is distinctive and pulled off extremely well considering the hardware - it's one of the best from this gen.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/mariosunshine_082002_14.jpg

Super Mario Sunshine - The ultimate vacation game. Mario's acrobatics are at an all time high here, and it results in one of the most purely fun gaming experiences from the past generation. There are some who complain about the variety, and I'd say it is a problem for some... but I found it to be extremely refreshing to see multiple angles on this beautiful island. The FLUDD-less segments that come in now and then are extremely gratifying and some of the best platforming of any 3D game made.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/zedlausfinaleng5.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Recently I replayed Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask back to back and then went on to WW. I was pretty down that I saved this for last as I always remembered those two games being much more enjoyable. Boy, nostalgia sure is a bite in the ass. Wind Waker is so much better then these games - a hundred times more fluid, it doesn't feel sluggish, graphics that don't rape your eyes, and controls improved in every conceivable part of the game. It falls back, of course, in dungeon design and amount of dungeons... but in the end, the sum of its part is a game that looks better, sounds better and controls better and that wins for me personally. It's also one of the most beautiful games ever made, with an artstyle so fully realized it could be considered a substantial leap for storytelling in videogames.

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/a...ht-princess-wii-version-20060607043209083.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - The Gamecube edition, undebatably the superior version of the game and worthy of all the sales (even though Nintendo raped its chances), is really a joy from start to end. Siren song of OLD NINTENDO... and I pretty much can't say anything that hasn't already been said.
:bow
Great post... seems a little familiar though

Amir0x

Banned
Polari said:
Gamecube was waaaaay better than the N64.

By about a thousand billion.

nincompoop said:
:bow
Great post... seems a little familiar though

I always re-post this in similar threads/threads about related systems. I add to it as time goes on and re-post again!

Innotech

Banned
My choices would be Sega Saturn and Nintendo Gamecube. two systems overshadowed by Sony and completely undeserving of their fate IMO.

MercuryLS

Banned
I liked N64 better than Gamecube. Fewer games, but it had more masterpieces. With Gamecube I didn't like a single Nintendo-made title and most 3rd party titles were meh or available elsewhere.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Innotech said:
My choices would be Sega Saturn and Nintendo Gamecube. two systems overshadowed by Sony and completely undeserving of their fate IMO.

GC deserved every tiny iota of its failure.

Oblivion said:

Should be remembered for the last moments where EAD still had it.
I agree. Throw in the Rare classics and some other classics like ISS98 and N64, despite it's limited library, was a really really good system. And just to stir the thread up a bit, IMO it blew the Gamecube out of the water (mostly because of EAD's output on N64 vs. GC).

Amir0x

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
EDIT: you can add:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos

I strongly disliked all those games, but obviously they are strong reasons to like a Gamecube for other people. Actually I masturbated to Ness and Fourside about 22 times in Melee, so maybe that counts as like.

Innotech

Banned
Amir0x said:
If you subtract the technology it's better by only a billion.
I do agree with you that when it comes to underrated GAMES, windWaker is around the top of thel ist. I love that game so much but so many people hate it. I dont think any other Zelda game ever felt so alive and epic as that game did because of the animation and style. It was an event not just a game.

Top Bottom