• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak & Daxter Trilogy PS Vita | June 2013 | $29.99 / €29.99

Rocky

Banned
Sounds like cross-buy is the only saving grace for this collection. I'll buy it for PS3 and treat the Vita version as a sort of "bonus".

Also aren't EU people confusing the PSN glitch for cross-buy? If you had the digital PS3 version already, you will get this free. I just got Limbo Vita free out of nowhere because I had got the PS3 version in PS+ a few months ago.

Is this for NA too? I'll gladly buy the digital PS3 version if its cross-buy.

Is this for NA too? I'll gladly buy the digital PS3 version if its cross-buy.

It is not, they're a separate purchase. 26 dollars digitally for the Vita versions.

All three games are playable, and honestly I still think it's kind of amazing I'm playing Jak on a handheld. But it could better, I'm hoping for a patch like Sigma 2 Plus got. Didn't make it perfect, but it made it a good deal better at times.

Zen

Banned
I'm quite angry about the performance of the first Jak & Daxter in this collection. The framerate isn't a bit weak, it's downright abysmal. I had to stop playing after completing the beach level because my head hurt. Jak 2 is running well so far, though, but it's a bad game, so that is not a good substitution.

Complete bullshit, it's the pinnacle of the series in terms of level design, pacing, and gameplay. Oh no they went in a darker direction from the completely unmemorable more g rated tone they had with the original. Who cares, the game itself is leagues above Jak I.

Takao

Banned
Complete bullshit, it's the pinnacle of the series in terms of level design, pacing, and gameplay. Oh no they went in a darker direction from the completely unmemorable more g rated tone they had with the original. Who cares, the game itself is leagues above Jak I.

The tone of Jak II has little bearing on why it's such a bad game. The fact that it pretty much trades in platforming in favour of vehicular and gun based gameplay is. Traversing Haven City has to be one of the most tedious experiences I've ever had in a video game. Try to fly in the sky, and you're destined to crash into oncoming traffic in the surprisingly densely packed airways. Try to hover above ground and you'll likely crash into a member of the Crimson Guard. This is only compounded by the fact that the vehicles in Jak II don't handle as well as the Zoomer, or Flut Flut in the first game and Haven City's poor layout that makes high speed runs a chore. The game forces you to go all over the map so this is an unavoidable issue. The gun gameplay is less of a problem, but still jarring to come from the first game. In Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy there's no weapons at all, yet in this game there's bosses you can only defeat by using weapons. Jak II ditches the pretty interesting Eco Powers of the first game for Dark Eco controls but because of the guns they're fairly useless. I'll admit that the little platforming Jak II has (mainly the Precursor related stuff) is among the better portions of the first game, but you have to go through all of the other stuff to get to it.

rjc571

Banned
The tone of Jak II has little bearing on why it's such a bad game. The fact that it pretty much trades in platforming in favour of vehicular and gun based gameplay is.
Except it doesn't. Vehicles are rarely used in missions and the gunplay serves as a way to accentuate the platforming in the game, not as a replacement for it. Just because you can shoot things doesn't make the game a shooter, just like having to punch enemies doesn't make the first Jak game a beat em up. The missions are still largely focused on platforming.
Traversing Haven City has to be one of the most tedious experiences I've ever had in a video game... Try to hover above ground and you'll likely crash into a member of the Crimson Guard.
...so? The Krimzon Guard doesn't really do anything to impede your progress when you get them angry, as long as you stick to the ground. This is a complete non-issue.
This is only compounded by the fact that the vehicles in Jak II don't handle as well as the Zoomer, or Flut Flut in the first game and Haven City's poor layout that makes high speed runs a chore.
This is also complete bullshit. The vehicle controls in Jak 2 were so much tighter than they were in Jak 1. (Especially the Flut Flut. I mean WTF? That stupid bird slid all over the damn place.) All I can say is learn to play the damn game, learn the layout of the city better, and don't blame the game if you suck at it.
The game forces you to go all over the map so this is an unavoidable issue.
You rarely had to spend more than a minute driving to your next mission.
The gun gameplay is less of a problem, but still jarring to come from the first game. In Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy there's no weapons at all, yet in this game there's bosses you can only defeat by using weapons.
What's your point? This doesn't make the game inherently worse. And Jak 1 didn't have weapons? Did you forget about the fire eco powerup, the use of which is functionally identical to the guns in Jak 2? You needed it to kill the lava boss and the final boss, remember?
Jak II ditches the pretty interesting Eco Powers of the first game for Dark Eco controls but because of the guns they're fairly useless. I'll admit that the little platforming Jak II has (mainly the Precursor related stuff) is among the better portions of the first game, but you have to go through all of the other stuff to get to it.
I agree that the dark Jak powers were mostly useless, but again, I don't see why that's a black mark against the game. You seem too hung up on the fact that the game offers more options for combat than just punching and spinning, while ignoring the fact that the combat makes up a similar percentage of the game as it did in Jak 1.

CorySchmitz

I'm kind of giving up on this & just grabbing Jak 3 for PS3 for $7.99 off PSN.

Psh. This Vita release was a waste-o-money. Guess I'll just sell it when I pick up Muramasa Rebirth next week? I dunno.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm now about 5 hours into Jak II and I've found the performance to be good, not great. I saw footage of Jak II on a PS3 recently and realized what I was missing though, so I might play 3 on the HD PS3 collection and keep the Vita game as a perk to have on the go.

Count me in as one of the patch-hopefuls. Even a ~20% performance increase on the first game would mean a lot. I actually have 20% of the Precursor trophies even with the ~25 fps issue because it's still that fun.

Shtof

Except it doesn't. Vehicles are rarely used in missions and the gunplay serves as a way to accentuate the platforming in the game, not as a replacement for it. Just because you can shoot things doesn't make the game a shooter, just like having to punch enemies doesn't make the first Jak game a beat em up. The missions are still largely focused on platforming.

...so? The Krimzon Guard doesn't really do anything to impede your progress when you get them angry, as long as you stick to the ground. This is a complete non-issue.

This is also complete bullshit. The vehicle controls in Jak 2 were so much tighter than they were in Jak 1. (Especially the Flut Flut. I mean WTF? That stupid bird slid all over the damn place.) All I can say is learn to play the damn game, learn the layout of the city better, and don't blame the game if you suck at it.

You rarely had to spend more than a minute driving to your next mission.

What's your point? This doesn't make the game inherently worse. And Jak 1 didn't have weapons? Did you forget about the fire eco powerup, the use of which is functionally identical to the guns in Jak 2? You needed it to kill the lava boss and the final boss, remember?

I agree that the dark Jak powers were mostly useless, but again, I don't see why that's a black mark against the game. You seem too hung up on the fact that the game offers more options for combat than just punching and spinning, while ignoring the fact that the combat makes up a similar percentage of the game as it did in Jak 1.

Great post. The criticism of Jak 2 usually boils down to people not understanding how to play it. It's a rather demanding game and rather difficult, especially if you don't understand how the gameplay works. I think most people who criticize it just gave up on the game when they saw the dark tone of it and didn't even bother to learn about the gameplay mechanics. Racing around the city is pretty smooth once you get the hang of it, it's all about switching zones at appropriate times and riding in the correct lanes.

While Jak has guns, they doesn't work like guns usually work in games. The projectiles work more like an extended melee and you should constantly combine with regular melee and chain together punches, uppercuts, rapid fire and spin fire.

KalBalboa

Banned
47% into Jak II.

I'm liking it more and more. The hover board really opens things up and the levels are getting funner.

Any word on a patch? Did the PS3 collection ever get any post launch support?

Got the Vita trilogy for free since I bought the PS3 collection but man does Jak and Daxter run poorly on the Vita. It feels like its 20-25fps.

KalBalboa

Banned
Precursor seemed to run the worst at around 20-25 fps, but after about 30 minutes I didn't even notice.

Jak II is more fluid, especially when you get into a mission.

Bluforce

Completed all the 3 games on PS Vita.
First game with 101%, other 2 no.

But now Ninja Gaiden and Unit 13 want to be played, so I need space on memory card.

Sony, please, patch the games and add the Cross-Play feature. I want to use my PS Vita savegames on PS3 :(

Since this thread got bumped I'll post my impressions I posted in the Vita thread yesterday in this thread for the curious:

So, I broke down and bought the collection because I like Jak 1 and 3 quite a bit and after watching some videos online I thought it seemed like the complaints were a bit overblown. Well...

Jak 1 actually runs fine. The first area is quite framey, which is unfortunate. However once you move past the first hub area/levels, it runs totally fine. Good even. So yeah, the first two hours or so are sketchy but after that it's totally fine. Not perfect, but fine. I beat the game and was happy with it.

Jak II is...Jak II. It's not that good of a game. There's a good game at it's core but it's buried under too much bullshit. Having to redo a 10-15 minute mission in its entirety because my finger hit the backtouch and put me into first person at the wrong time is not fun, nor is it fun when you die because a sudden sharp framerate drop screwed you up on a jump. Speaking of, the framerate is bad in general. In small indoor areas it's fine, but out in the city or in a big open area it can get pretty bad. It's quite bad in races too. It's not the worst framerate ever or anything, but it's bad. Oh, and the back touch controls suck. They're unresponsive and the two inputs on each side seem to overlap a bit, so sometimes I hit the back touch intending to do one thing and I do both things at once. Bad port. Stopped playing it about 3 and half hours in.

Jak 3...oh Jak 3. The framerate fluctuates between awful and absolutely-fucking-awful. It's unacceptable that it's this bad. It probably 15-20 FPS most of the time, sometimes worse. Any mission where you have to ride an animal is absolutely terrible because of this and controls like shit. One mission makes you corral a bunch of these animals and I only beat it by sheer attrition, it was completely broken due to framerate. I've also had Jak 3 freeze twice in my 3 hours of playing before I stopped. Awful.

Bottom line: If Jak 1 goes on sale separately in NA like it is in EU it's a pretty safe buy by itself. Go ahead and grab it, it's a good game and an ok port. However do not buy the collection or Jak II or Jak 3. Jak 3 is bad to the point where people should be getting refunds for it, I've never seen a retail product be released with this poor of a framerate.

Ntsouls

Banned
There does seem to be some slow down. But not crawling.
I love every game too.
You have banjo kazooie-esque gaming in the first.
Then gta in the second.
Then the third which I've never played but looks like mad max.

Adahn

Great post. The criticism of Jak 2 usually boils down to people not understanding how to play it. It's a rather demanding game and rather difficult, especially if you don't understand how the gameplay works. I think most people who criticize it just gave up on the game when they saw the dark tone of it and didn't even bother to learn about the gameplay mechanics. Racing around the city is pretty smooth once you get the hang of it, it's all about switching zones at appropriate times and riding in the correct lanes.

While Jak has guns, they doesn't work like guns usually work in games. The projectiles work more like an extended melee and you should constantly combine with regular melee and chain together punches, uppercuts, rapid fire and spin fire.

I'm happy to say that I'm one of the people that thinks most of Jak 2 is painful instead of fun, although I recognise it's quite a marmite game. The thing that annoys me most about the city driving here though is the fact that you are trying to switch zones using a fairly unresponsive back touch input - I'd still hate the driving if I had a button to do that, but at least the ridiculous 'ride to the other side of the city' segments that seem to appear after every mission would be less painful.

The gun inclusion doesn't bother me as much, but lazy level design around it does - instead of giving me platforming arenas to go and explore and have fun with far too many missions send me back to a previously visited place with hardly any platforming and ask me to kill things. Yawn!

KalBalboa

Banned
Just beat Jak II (my first time playing the game, actually). Some basic thoughts:

-Overall, I preferred the original game, but only due to basic difficulty issues in Jak II.
-The writing was consistently funny and kept me going. Daxter is funny despite all odds going against him.
-I really got into certain sections, but the game needed more checkpoints and some basic changes to make it easier (falling off the jetboard causes damage only when hitting an enemy, which was jarring).
-Performance-wise, the game ran fine inside of actual levels, but the free-roam hub world was a bit dodgy. It got the job done, but I'm on the fence about Jak 3 and if I should play it on Vita or PS3.

In a nutshell: I really like it, but I can see why Jak II is so contentious. I give it a solid B (at least the Vita version), but at launch would have probably given it an A, easily.

Acrylic7

Just beat Jak II (my first time playing the game, actually). Some basic thoughts:

-Overall, I preferred the original game, but only due to basic difficulty issues in Jak II.
-The writing was consistently funny and kept me going. Daxter is funny despite all odds going against him.
-I really got into certain sections, but the game needed more checkpoints and some basic changes to make it easier (falling off the jetboard causes damage only when hitting an enemy, which was jarring).
-Performance-wise, the game ran fine inside of actual levels, but the free-roam hub world was a bit dodgy. It got the job done, but I'm on the fence about Jak 3 and if I should play it on Vita of PS3.

In a nutshell: I really like it, but I can see why Jak II is so contentious. I give it a solid B (at least the Vita version), but at launch would have probably given it an A, easily.

Ewww man, you really should have played it on a ps3. Jak 2 is one of my favorite games
(Jak2 > Uncharted 2)
and there is no way I would play that game on a Vita. A game like that requires control; probably why you don't like the hoverboard.

So yeah play Jak 3 on the ps3.

KalBalboa

Banned
Ewww man, you really should have played it on a ps3. Jak 2 is one of my favorite games
(Jak2 > Uncharted 2)
and there is no way I would play that game on a Vita. A game like that requires control; probably why you don't like the hoverboard.

So yeah play Jak 3 on the ps3.

I actually had no issue with control on the Vita version, but I'll definitely be trying the PS3 version to get the extra trophies and see how much better it runs.

They really should put out some patch for this, especially for the first game.

Top Bottom