• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360/PS3/WII: Wii Takeover watch

koam

Worldwide numbers

Wii

Australia - 138,192
Europe - 2,870,000
Japan - 3,424,139
Canada - 313,956
US - 3,615,000

TOTAL - 10,361,287
______

Australia - 195,056
Europe - 3,250,000
Japan - 402,381
Canada - 403,500
US - 5,950,000

TOTAL - 10,200,937
_____

PS3

Australia: 66,503
Europe - 1,300,000
Japan - 1,085,019
Canada - 84,584
US - 1,609,000

TOTAL - 4,145,106
--

Sources (last update):
Japan - Media Create (August 19)
US - NPD (July numbers)
Canada - NPD (July numbers)
Australia - August 2007
Europe - August 2007

Xbox is apparently in "over 10 million people's hands", right? I'd imagine that shipped number is maybe 500,000 over or so.

djkimothy said:
LOL, the PS3 is so behind. :lol

They desperately need a price cut of epic proportions.
$200 would have done it.

And love the thread title. lets see if it turns out like the Blu-Ray one:lol The Wii is a great system and I wouldn't be surprised if it does take out the other two.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
In terms of sold, not including N.A or Europe June I have 360 at about 9.4-9.5M. (Estimate of course).

CrushDance said:
$200 would have done it.

And love the thread title. lets see if it turns out like the Blu-Ray one:lol The Wii is a great system and I wouldn't be surprised if it does take out the other two.
Questionable on the $200, that would put it in 360's pricepoint, which would have matched things, not caused a monstrous shift.

JDSN

Banned
Blablurn said:
Do we really need another war thread? e3 is coming up...

Thats why we need it, this board needs to be purged before E3 and this threads are great traps.

RumpledForeskin said:
Make it stop. This Wii hard-on is making me sick.

Come on, it's not fanboys jerking off. Wii is going to pass the other consoles (surprise!), and it will have implications far-reaching in the industry. Knowing when the psychological 1st place is achieved is of interest to many gamers.

djkimothy

jjasper said:
This thread needs more graphs.

realgraphcopy.jpg

schuelma

Mar_ said:
I like this thread. GAF does need a one stop area to see who's who in this generation war.

I like the idea of this thread, but I have a feeling it will be locked before the day is gone.

Mojovonio said:
I give the Wii 2 months before it surpasses the 360. That thing is unstoppable.

I think the Halo/GTA effect should hold it off for a bit. Christmas will be the big story, Wii is such a perfect Christmas present that if stock is available it could easily sell way more than the million or so 360s sold last year.

TheGreatDave said:
I think the Halo/GTA effect should hold it off for a bit. Christmas will be the big story, Wii is such a perfect Christmas present that if stock is available it could easily sell way more than the million or so 360s sold last year.

Metroid/Mario/Smash should get a lot of those hardcore gamers who have held off buying one so far. Wii Sports still has great selling power. And if Nintendo bring out something that has close to or equal the impact that Wii Sports had, then Nintendo should do fantastic this christmas season.

jjasper

TheGreatDave said:

Yeah at the current rate Wii would take over soon, but you have to think the Halo3/GTA boost will help 360 stay out in front. The Wii gets no sales boost this holiday unless it can up shipments.

Alkaliine said:
Metroid/Mario/Smash should get a lot of those hardcore gamers who have held off buying one so far. Wii Sports still has great selling power. And if Nintendo bring out something that has close to or equal the impact that Wii Sports had, then Nintendo should do fantastic this christmas season.

How can the Wii get a sales boost from games if Nintendo already sells every system it ships? The only thing Nintendo can do at this point is ship 2x as many units as it has this year up to this point.

koam

My PS3 numbers are lower than what they should be since i'm basing it off an article that's a bit over a month old. I'm missing more up to date europe numbers.

schuelma

jjasper said:
Yeah at the current rate Wii would take over soon, but you have to think the Halo3/GTA boost will help 360 stay out in front. The Wii gets no sales boost this holiday unless it can up shipments.

I agree for N.A and to a lesser extent Europe, but Nintendo gains about 250K or so a month in Japan alone, so the 360 would have to have just a phenomonal N.A to counteract Nintendo worldwide.

ManaByte

Gold Member
jjasper said:
How can the Wii get a sales boost from games if Nintendo already sells every system it ships? The only thing Nintendo can do at this point is ship 2x as many units as it has this year up to this point.

Because people are buying the system just for WiiSports.

Wii's are kinda in stock in the UK now, if you look around a bit, so a boost over there come Winter should be possible. Obviously Nintendo need to up production, and you're assume they're aware of that.

stilgar

I don't really see a reason for the trend to change until ... well *looks at the sky, thinks about life * never ?

[/brillant analyst]

jjasper said:

It does in NA and JAP but in PAL land this doesn't seem to be the case.

stilgar said:
I don't really see a reason for the trend to change until ... well *looks at the sky, thinks about life * never ?

[/brillant analyst]

The trend will change when people decide they need 720p, right?! Guys?!

schuelma

Maybe it would be a good idea to have all the Sales Agers who are trying to keep track of WW sales post their estimates?

I'm at work so I don't have the exact numbers, but this is what I have for the 3 consoles, up to date except for N.A June NPD:

Wii- About 8.5M

360- About 9.6M

PS3- About 3.7M

I'll edit it my real numbers when I get home

jjasper

Alkaliine said:
It does in NA and JAP but in PAL land this doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh I didn't know that I thought that it was selling out everywhere, my bad then. Well yeah I think that the Metroid/Mario/Smash triforce can boost sales there.

jjasper said:
Oh I didn't know that I thought that it was selling out everywhere, my bad then. Well yeah I think that the Metroid/Mario/Smash triforce can boost sales there.

Oh it's still doing well in most areas of Europe but it's not the incredible success story that it has been in NTSC land.

Obviously it will NOT happen in 2 months. 3 million units in 2 months is preposterous, even for the Wii. Unless they find a magic box to replicate Wiis instantaneously then it is not possible

djkimothy said:
LOL, the PS3 is so behind. :lol

They desperately need a price cut of epic proportions.

When (if?) they get it down to the price of the Xbox 360, THEN it's going to take off.
As it is, everyone sees it as (just) a video game console, not a really cheap blu-ray player with great graphics.

LakeEarth

TheGreatDave said:
I think if the current sales trend continues, Wii is set to overtake 360 before either Halo or GTA4 come out.

ziran

From the recent info we've had (ELSPA, MC, NPD, GfK) my estimates for the end of June are:

US - 5.7 million
Canada - 390K
Japan - 383K
Europe (plus other) - 3 million (1.144 million UK)
Australia - 182K

~9.7 million

PS3
US - 1.5 million
Canada - 90K
Japan - 950K
Europe (plus other) - 1.1 million
Australia - 55K

~3.7 million

Wii
US - 3.1 million
Canada - 290K
Japan - 2.874 million
Europe (plus other) - 2.2 million (~700K UK)
Australia - 107K

~8.6 million

Sources:
US - NPD, plus estimated sales for June based on May
Canada - NPD and estimated figures for those not released
Japan - Media Create to July 1st
Europe - Latest press releases and estimation where needed to bring figures to end of June (ELSPA for the UK)
Australia - GfK numbers to June 30th
Other - Guesstimated to the end of June (everything outside US, Canada, Japan, Europe and Australia)

Nintendo is selling close to 1 million units of Wii per month in the quietest times of the year, compared to 360 ~300K and PS3 ~200K (from the sw charts sales seem to be slowing down in Europe as they have in NA and Japan). At this rate by the end of August:

Wii ~10.5 million
360 ~10.3 million
PS3 ~4.1 million (maybe a little more with a price drop)

360 is in the troubling position of having to rely on a couple of titles to pull it head, which may happen in the short term in NA and maybe Europe, but by the end of the year I'm guessing:

Wii ~16 million
360 ~15 million (with a price drop, 14 million or less without)
PS3 ~6 million

EDIT-
Updated.

schuelma

ElectricBlue187 said:
Obviously it will NOT happen in 2 months. 3 million units in 2 months is preposterous, even for the Wii. Unless they find a magic box to replicate Wiis instantaneously then it is not possible

Keep in mind that there is no conceivable way that Microsoft has sold 11.6M 360's to consumers..its most likely still below 10M. Official N.A and Japan numbers make this practically impossible.

I would expect another boost in Wii production to occur between September and October if sales in NA and Japan stay as they are. That is approximately the time it took to boost it last time, and they better boost it or risk losing a lot of things.

schuelma

ziran said:
From the recent info we've had (ELSPA, MC, NPD, GfK) my estimates for the end of June are:

That looks pretty close to what I have. I think I have the Wii a bit higher and 360 a tad lower if I estimate June NPD's, but that's about it.

I agree that when August NPD's arrive Wii will have overtaken 360.

Alcibiades

the major delay in Wii taking over will be Nintendo supply issues... they happen EVERY holiday season, even with the Gamecube... I'm guessing 360 and PS2 will benefit the most because people will still be buying whatever they have available, but if Sony drops to $399 at E3, it'll be a lot closer...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheGreatDave said:
Xbox is apparently in "over 10 million people's hands", right? I'd imagine that shipped number is maybe 500,000 over or so.

Well, I don't have complete numbers but I highly doubt that the sales are that high. Here's the numbers we do have:

USA: 5,553,115 (NPD, all tallied)
Canada: ~400,000 (NPD Canada, based on 250k for 2006 + ~15k each month since + unknown 2005; so it's likely less than this)
Japan: 383,000 (Media-Create)
UK: 1,300,000 (Chart-Track I think)
Germany: 262,000 (K-otaku, their source is here)
Australia: 181,000 (GAF, VOOK, from "GFK")

Feel free to help fill in the holes to get a better picture.

Top Bottom