• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sinobi: DQS [Wii] sold 200,000 on its first day

Kiriku said:
I really don't feel like going into detail about the definition of "awesome", and I haven't exactly been keeping track of every game released for Wii. But at least we seem to agree there are two high-profile games doing well enough. And I don't see the need to be in a hurry to draw conclusions based on two games, but if this indeed is a positive trend forming we'll see more big games sell on Wii, in which case I won't hesitate to agree with people about 3rd party devs doing well on Wii in Japan.

It's not jumping to conclusions to say that games will sell on Wii. It's a STUPID and BASELESS conclusion that consumers understand what publishers are, and avoid all but one. It's proven stupid and baseless every time a good, well-marketed third party game sells. Which has happened... every single time so far.

ethelred

Prime crotch said:
It's Dragon Quest it sells anywhere. No surprise here.

donkey show said:
It's DQ, nothing new here. :lol

Kiriku said:
Wow, a spin-off of one of the most popular game series ever in Japan selling well, I'm here to join the celebrations in your perfectly justified, new thread. :D

Yeah, sure, okay. We could go with that. Or we could put these sales in perspective by looking at the sales of prior Dragon Quest spinoffs.

Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
DQ Monsters		GB	333,114  	117,937  	59,360  	1,911,107  
DQ Monsters 2: Coby	GB	501,081 	159,625 	116,802 	1,253,013
DQ Monsters 2: Tara	GB	133,723 	34,882 		31,065 		480,582 
DQ Monsters 3		GBA	210,427 	107,719 	64,354 		593,812 
DQ Monsters 1+2		PSX	132,479 	38,927 		22,847 		294,758 
DQ Monsters Joker	NDS	633,084 	247,558 	47,689 		1,357,408 
DQ Slime Morimori	GBA	67,797 		33,451 		23,754 		346,299 
DQH: Rocket Slime	NDS	43,995 		31,979 		31,509 		293,970
DQ: Young Yangus	PS2 	151,570 	58,648 		39,463 		301,755
DQ Swords		Wii	200,000

I dunno guys -- sure, DQ games always sell well, but doesn't DQS seem to be selling particularly well when its first day sales compare especially favorably to the first week sales of many of the prior DQ spinoffs?

The DQ name alone doesn't seem to be a guarantor of blockbuster status, loooking at DQM3, Slime Morimori, Rocket Slime, or Young Yangus.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
Yeah, sure, okay. We could go with that. Or we could put these sales in perspective by looking at the sales of prior Dragon Quest spinoffs.

Code:
DQ Monsters		GB	333,114  	117,937  	59,360  	1,911,107  
DQ Monsters 2: Coby	GB	501,081 	159,625 	116,802 	1,253,013
DQ Monsters 2: Tara	GB	133,723 	34,882 		31,065 		480,582 
DQ Monsters 3		GBA	210,427 	107,719 	64,354 		593,812 
DQ Monsters 1+2		PSX	132,479 	38,927 		22,847 		294,758 
DQ Monsters Joker	NDS	633,084 	247,558 	47,689 		1,357,408 
DQ Slime Morimori	GBA	67,797 		33,451 		23,754 		346,299 
DQH: Rocket Slime	NDS	43,995 		31,979 		31,509 		293,970
DQ: Young Yangus	PS2 	151,570 	58,648 		39,463 		301,755
DQ Swords		Wii	200,000 first day

I dunno guys -- sure, DQ games always sell well, but doesn't DQS seem to be selling particularly well when its first day sales compare especially favorably to the first week sales of many of the prior DQ spinoffs?

The DQ name alone doesn't seem to be a guarantor of blockbuster status, loooking at DQM3, Slime Morimori, Rocket Slime, or Young Yangus.

I'm having trouble reading this..what was the first day for Monsters Joker- was it 633K? Or was that first week?

schuelma said:
I'm having trouble reading this..what was the first day for Monsters Joker- was it 633K? Or was that first week?

First day was 633k, first week was 633,084.

Doesn't bode well for DQ:S, or third parties on Wii :(

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ziran said:
I think it's already doubled the sales of the original.

Ouendan's debut was low, but it sold low amounts for a really long time, and managed to crawl to a reasonable figure. I remember seeing it in a top 100 several months after it had left the top 30 at ~66K, it might have sold a little more.

Ouendan 2's sales are impressive, and it's definitely benefiting from DS's larger installed base. Sequels often sell less, but many on the DS are selling significantly more. I don't think 300K is out of the question.

To celebrate this occasion, I switched my Avatar to show the best cheergirl.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
AdmiralViscen said:
It's not jumping to conclusions to say that games will sell on Wii. It's a STUPID and BASELESS conclusion that consumers understand what publishers are, and avoid all but one. It's proven stupid and baseless every time a good, well-marketed third party game sells. Which has happened... every single time so far.

Yeah, it has happened every single time, but that's still only two times so far. So my opinion remains the same. I mean, it's obvious 3rd party games CAN sell on Wii, but I'm not convinced we're seeing a trend of any sort yet.
But OK, we can play it your way: I'm not convinced third party devs are willing to market their games well enough for Wii yet.

enishi

I think sales at weekend may not be as good as we thought due to bad weather. There is a strong typhoon in Japan right now...

Kiriku said:
Yeah, it has happened every single time, but that's still only two times so far. So my opinion remains the same. I mean, it's obvious 3rd party games CAN sell on Wii, but I'm not convinced we're seeing a trend of any sort yet.
But OK, we can play it your way: I'm not convinced third party devs are willing to market their games well enough for Wii yet.

It's been proven around 10,000 times that good games sell though. I don't see why a Nintendo console is magically different just because few publishers put good games on Cube and N64.

I don't know how you can deny that third parties will market Wii games in JAPAN all of places. Are you crazy? They have no choice.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
enishi said:
I think sales at weekend may not be as good as we thought due to bad weather. There is a strong typhoon in Japan right now...

Or the more reason to quickly snap up DQ:S for some gaming action before getting soaked over the next few days, right? :D

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
You know what? Screw you. :lol

And fixed.

53411e59.png
>
dad6159d.png

:p

enishi

Stop It said:
Or the more reason to quickly snap up DQ:S for some gaming action before getting soaked over the next few days, right? :D

Or people cannot go out to get their games :p Maybe Jonnyram or Vinnk could give more info to us.

ziran

enishi said:
Well, that is a low blow!

I know Sony's desperate but summoning the weather Gods is strictly prohibited in console wars! :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kiriku said:
Of course not. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place. You either dabble in the HD era and run the risk of game sales profit not besting development costs, or you make an effort for an exclusive game on Wii and run the risk of it not being bought. You can't do both at the same time unless you have the buck for it, hence the majority of shitty software pumped out by non-Sega/EA/Ubisoft/Square-Enix (depending on your preferences) companies.

It's a known fact that the games that are relatively exclusive or have had some great development time invested in it on the Wii (like any other console) are sold quite well in certain regions. Japan right now is a doozy because of the PS3 clawing along at the bottom of the ocean and companies most likely not knowing what the hell to do. The ones that jumped on the ship early in the Western markets (i.e. Ubi/EA) are smiling.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
AdmiralViscen said:
It's been proven around 10,000 times that good games sell though. I don't see why a Nintendo console is magically different just because few publishers put good games on Cube and N64.

I don't know how you can deny that third parties will market Wii games in JAPAN all of places. Are you crazy? They have no choice.

I'm not saying they won't be marketing their games, but you said well-marketed. But you know, if they are, third party games will sell according to you, and your point will be proven time and time again once more good games start hitting the Wii (well, I guess it depends on how you define a "good" game and "well-marketed" as well). You can sit back and enjoy, it's just a matter of time and I'm in no rush.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I just feel I should mention I just acquired 100 million points and got the final rank.

I have a true hot-blooded rhythm spirit!

... Now to go S-rank the rest of the cheergirl songs. Last count, 7 and counting.

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
I just feel I should mention I just acquired 100 million points and got the final rank.

I have a true hot-blooded rhythm spirit!

... Now to go S-rank the rest of the cheergirl songs. Last count, 7 and counting.

I would try, but I already scratched the heck out of my 2nd screen protector that I bought for THIS GAME and really don't want to replace it in such a short period of time.

Boo, your changed your avatar, this is war (or a rivalry, whatever is less violent).

jarrod

Banned
Nice debut, should probably near sell out the first shipment (350k) this week then. Million club, here we come. :D

Hcoregamer00

Semantic said:
More interesting is looking at sales vs installed base. Highest of all the dragon quests or spinoffs thus far.

That is just semantics :lol

Pureauthor said:
Nah, decided it didn't look too good. I'm crummy with image editing stuff. :(

Also, I don't need an Ouendan avatar for rivalry!

Well, we agree is most threads, it is just funny that we seem to argue the most in Ouendan 2.

Here is the one I made if you want to use it

abbd9b87.png

:D

schuelma

LanceStern said:
Twice now, Square Enix's games have laughed at my sales predictions

If it makes you feel better, we were laughing too :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, we agree is most threads, it is just funny that we seem to argue the most in Ouendan 2.

Here is the one I made if you want to use it

Many thanks. Although I think it would've have been better if you shaved a few pixels off the side so the forum's auto-resize doesn't warp it. :D

Kiriku said:
I'm not saying they won't be marketing their games, but you said well-marketed. But you know, if they are, third party games will sell according to you, and your point will be proven time and time again once more good games start hitting the Wii (well, I guess it depends on how you define a "good" game and "well-marketed" as well). You can sit back and enjoy, it's just a matter of time and I'm in no rush.

So, FUD for as long as it can be gotten away with. I'm taking notes.

So looking at Moor-Angol's list of top-selling GameCube games, here are the top five GCN third party games in Japan according to Famitsu.

Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen ! 3
First week: 89.141
Total: 404.951

Biohazard 0
First week: 190.394
Total: 400.750

Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen ! 2
First week: 71.693
Total: 396.608

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
First week: 191.602
Total: 355.470

Tales of Symphonia
First week: 183.527
Total: 322.779

If 200K for DQS on day one is true, it's already outdone the first week of any of those games. Worth noting that since Wii is now where GCN was at late 2003 in terms of userbase, DQS is selling to a larger userbase than did most of those games. Late 2004's Naruto 3 is the exception.

schuelma

JoshuaJSlone said:
So looking at Moor-Angol's list of top-selling GameCube games, here are the top five GCN third party games in Japan according to Famitsu.

Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen ! 3
First week: 89.141
Total: 404.951

Biohazard 0
First week: 190.394
Total: 400.750

Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen ! 2
First week: 71.693
Total: 396.608

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
First week: 191.602
Total: 355.470

Tales of Symphonia
First week: 183.527
Total: 322.779

Wow..kinda puts it in perspective.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dragona Akehi said:
Which is why this is interesting; so far the Wii is a kind of mini-DS in many ways; it never had the "slump" the DS had and went straight to Nintendogs/BrainAge::WiiSports/WiiPlay zone... which means that if that is right, DQS definitely has a chance. :p

Bout time someone else picked up on that :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In case anyone was interested in what Joshua said there, I did the same thing for the N64. Top Ten N64 Third Party games:

1. Power Pro 6
First Week: 155.511
Total: 323.158

2. Power Pro 2000
First week: 99.621
Total: 266.028

3. Shiren's Mysterious Dungeon 2
First week: 117.982
Total: 238.337

4. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
First week: 103.063
Total: 200.770

5. Power Pro 4
First week: 78.889
Total: 185.319

6. Bomberman 64
First week: 51.128
Total: 172.547

7. Power Pro 5
First week: 76.151
Total: 164.532

8. Goemon 64
First week: 67.944
Total: 141.178

9. Bomberman 64-2
First week: 12.257
Total: 115.984

10. Power Pro 2001
First week: 24.058
Total: 112.008

So it already has a better first week than any third party N64 game, and in total with one day's sales it's now outsold all but three of them.

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:
4. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
First week: 103.063
Total: 200.770

Ogre Battle 64 wasn't a third party game.

Anyway, I'm really much less interested in how it's selling compared to GameCube or N64 games (who cares?) than how it's selling compared to other Dragon Quest spinoffs -- that is, in my eyes, the much more instructive measure. N64 and GCN didn't have any DQ games, and it just doesn't matter how DQ sold compared to Bomberman. It does matter how DQS is selling when compared to DQMs, DQHes, and Young Yangus.

Looking at the past DQ spinoff sales and how the first day of DQS compares to that, it's definitely a very solid performer. Obviously we'll need to see how the full first week figures shape up but it's certainly feasible that this game could cross a million or just fall a little bit short.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I always have to giggle when people think that good third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles, simply because they're from Nintendo. Not having to do anything with the fact that hardly any third parties supported with good games in the first place.

Oblivion said:
I always have to giggle when people think that good third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles, simply because they're from Nintendo. Not having to do anything with the fact that hardly any third parties supported with good games in the first place.

*Looks at*

Baten Kaitos
Killer 7
Baten Kaitos 2
Skies of Arcadia
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Prince of Persia
SSX Blur

Just a little reminder there. But in general, the HIGH QUALITY 3rd party games sell pretty nicely on Nintendo systems. They really have to find the correct audience to market to, and I don't think 3rd party developers try hard enough on that end.

lordmrw

Prince of Persia actually sold pretty damn well on GC too. And Skies of Arcadia crawled its way to respectable sales.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Didn't Skies get some really good sales? Like a million, or near it anyway?

..though I could be confusing that with Sonic Adventure DX.

Deku

Banned
SE is backing this game seriously. They know it will sell and if Sinobi's numbers are accurate SE must be happy. This is also another step towards DQX on Wii, but certainly, more spinoffs are already being planned if they weren't already.

Wait till TGS! (i always wanted to say that in a non Sony context)

Terrell

ethelred said:
Anyway, I'm really much less interested in how it's selling compared to GameCube or N64 games (who cares?) than how it's selling compared to other Dragon Quest spinoffs -- that is, in my eyes, the much more instructive measure. N64 and GCN didn't have any DQ games, and it just doesn't matter how DQ sold compared to Bomberman. It does matter how DQS is selling when compared to DQMs, DQHes, and Young Yangus.

Looking at the past DQ spinoff sales and how the first day of DQS compares to that, it's definitely a very solid performer. Obviously we'll need to see how the full first week figures shape up but it's certainly feasible that this game could cross a million or just fall a little bit short.
Yeah, the haters and trolls can cram it with walnuts, direct number comparisons don't lie. This is a very solid first-day performance and could cross 1 million, being only the 3rd "non-game" in Japan. Let me repeat: 1 out of 3 million-sellers for Wii in Japan will be from 3rd-parties.
Haters, I have some words of advice my father gave me once: when life gives you lemons, shut up and eat your damn lemons.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I hope Square Enix's desire to remake some Dragon Quest puts the series remade on the Wii with this kind of battles. You know? instead of just selecting menús, you act to perform atacks and so, like in Dragon Quest Swords.

I want!

Vinnk

enishi said:
Or people cannot go out to get their games :p Maybe Jonnyram or Vinnk could give more info to us.

The typhoon came to my town on the 14th (well actually late in the night on the 13th). DQ:S launched on the 12th to the typoon should not have impacted first or second day sales but possiblr 3rd or 4th day sales. In my case I bought the game to give me something to do during the typhoon.

Olaeh

tanasten said:
I hope Square Enix's desire to remake some Dragon Quest puts the series remade on the Wii with this kind of battles. You know? instead of just selecting menús, you act to perform atacks and so, like in Dragon Quest Swords.

I want!

I like the idea- DQ remakes on Wii with updated DQ:S battles would be hot. I always thought DS was the most likely candidate for the remakes, but the more DQ on Wii the better. Impressive first day numbers for DQ:S too btw. Can't wait for first week's numbers, I think this will break a million even if it has to crawl to it.

Top Bottom