• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohnonono

Edge of Darkness should be appearing in stores this week or next probably

I have 2 copies pre-ordered... I am impatient though. It all got spoiled last night and looks fantastic. Han, Chewie, and Lando based Smuggler deck looks totally viable. Scum and Villainy also has some crazy stuff.

Icefire1424

Edge of Darkness should be appearing in stores this week or next probably

I've been deliberately avoiding playing Star Wars until this showed up as I felt both decks were somewhat incomplete without it. That, and I've yet to try to convince the wife to give it a shot (getting her into Memoir was tough enough!). Have shown pretty good restraint in not getting any of the Hoth expansions anyways, although bringing a Snow speeder or AT-AT to bear is pretty tempting.

Hmm...Monkey, I seem to be following you around threads today.

I have 2 copies pre-ordered... I am impatient though. It all got spoiled last night and looks fantastic. Han, Chewie, and Lando based Smuggler deck looks totally viable. Scum and Villainy also has some crazy stuff.

Are they doing the same thing as the base set with only one objective set for Edge of Darkness? Know the newly announced deluxe set says its going to include full sets.

I've been deliberately avoiding playing Star Wars until this showed up as I felt both decks were somewhat incomplete without it. That, and I've yet to try to convince the wife to give it a shot (getting her into Memoir was tough enough!). Have shown pretty good restraint in not getting any of the Hoth expansions anyways, although bringing a Snow speeder or AT-AT to bear is pretty tempting.

Hmm...Monkey, I seem to be following you around threads today.

Hah. The Hoth cycle does contain a bunch of non Hoth themed cards too including some more cards for both the smugglers and scum.

Ohnonono

Are they doing the same thing as the base set with only one objective set for Edge of Darkness? Know the newly announced deluxe set says its going to include full sets.

Hah. The Hoth cycle does contain a bunch of non Hoth themed cards too including some more cards for both the smugglers and scum.

I don't know if it will be typical from now on but Edge of Darkness you do need 2 for a whole playset. I think it is because S&S and S&V really needed a much bigger card pool. So you get access to 22 new objective sets and have to buy 2 instead of getting 11 sets with a playset and still having those factions be lagging behind. I don't like buying 2 of anything but for LCGs I have accepted 2 cores is always necessary and for EoD I am fine with it. I am glad the multiplayer expansion is just one though and hope from now on that is the case.

The Hoth sets have some great stuff. My Imperial Navy deck is all Troopers (snow and storm) and walkers with Veers + Imperial Vader + Orbital Bombardment to make them all insane. Also has lots of shielding to activate Forward Command Post. Plus the insanely good 1 of Hoth objective set with Wampas.(6 of 10 OS are from the Hoth packs.)

One of them also has the best S&V pod ever. It is not used too much yet, but will most likely be an auto include after EoD.

flyover

If they had fun with Revolution, they likely want an element of "screw you!" but are still noobs, but that game definitely has moment to moment tactical decisions... It'd be easy to go the route of Munchin etc, and they may enjoy that unfortunately, but I think 7 Wonders is a fair suggestion - easy to teach/pick up, quick to play, and you get to attack your neighbours.

My pick - King of Tokyo. Dice based for the randomness, definitely lots of "screw you!", but still has tactical decisions that matter for longer than your turn. Easy to teach & play too. I don't know if either are actually a step up in complexity mind...

These are good calls. I'd also recommend bringing a copy of Love Letter (it's just 16 cards and some tiny score cubes) wherever you play. That is the one game that has never failed me with any group. It's also good for winning over non-gamers. The learning curve is quick, and each game only lasts about 15 minutes, so it's great as a game night opener or ender. My wife almost always keeps a copy in her purse, just in case.

Only problem with Love Letter is that its availability comes and goes. And its price varies as a result. Usually, it's between $10-20.

joelseph

Anyone else here going to GenCon and playing in the Giant Catan game?

I am going to GenCon for the rest of my life! I am not signed up for any lifesize games though.. If we get enough interest I will sport my NeoGaf shirts all con and setup a couple meetups. My group is running a BSG game but I believe we are sold out on tickets.

I am signed up for a few painting classes, True Dungeon, a Cthulu RPG and a Modern Masters Magic tournament.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
These are good calls. I'd also recommend bringing a copy of Love Letter (it's just 16 cards and some tiny score cubes) wherever you play. That is the one game that has never failed me with any group. It's also good for winning over non-gamers. The learning curve is quick, and each game only lasts about 15 minutes, so it's great as a game night opener or ender. My wife almost always keeps a copy in her purse, just in case.

Only problem with Love Letter is that its availability comes and goes. And its price varies as a result. Usually, it's between $10-20.

I like King of Tokyo, but there are groups that just really dislike player elimination, so be wary of that.

I second Love Letter though - played it a few times a couple weeks ago and it's a lot of fun for how "small" the game seems. That one is definitely NOT a step up in complexity though :p

7 Wonders would be a good segway to RFTG in terms of getting used to symbols :lol

Thats pretty badass.

flyover

I second Love Letter though - played it a few times a couple weeks ago and it's a lot of fun for how "small" the game seems. That one is definitely NOT a step up in complexity though :p

Good point. It certainly isn't.

Thats pretty badass.

Yeah, I love that she does that -- and it's come in handy on multiple occasions. Last month, we had a plane that was delayed late into the night, and we played with other passengers at our gate.

Pepboy

Hey all, it's been a while. I am selling the boardgames below. I've moved apartments and unfortunately need more space.

Top Shelf
  • Battlelore - 80 (excellent condition, unplayed, most components still in wrap)
  • Power Grid - 20 (unplayed) Claimed by Musan (9:18 pm)
  • Agricola - 30
  • Smallworld - 25
  • Battlestar Galactica - 20 (mediocre condition)
  • Race for the Galaxy - 10 Claimed by Musan (9:18 pm)
  • Glory for Rome - 20 (non-blackbox, I.V Edition, Never played, most card decks still sealed)
  • Arkham Horror - 30

Worth a Spin
  • Quarriors - 20 (dented box)
  • A Few Acres of Snow - 15
  • Dominant Species - 25
  • Sid Meier's Civilization - 20
  • Diplomacy - 10
  • Thurn and Taxi (2006 Spiels des Jahres) - 15
  • Munchkin - 10
  • Munchkin Cthulhu - 8
  • Last Night on Earth - 20
  • Star Wars Living Card Game - 20 (played once, recent FFG game)

Add-ons
Settlers of Catan 5+6 Player Expansion - 8
Colossal Arena (Reiner Knizia) - 8
Conquest of Pangea - 5
Killer Bunnies - free if order something else (and assuming it fits in the shipping box)

Shipping is negotiable depending on quantity, but probably around $5. Please feel free to make offers by PM, I'm especially flexible if you order more than one. Anyone who wants to buy the lot can have it for $200 and resell it piecewise for profit. I am happy to send photographs of the games and components or provide more details.

It's been a while but I have positive feedback here and here, admittedly on the buyers side.

Edit: I am based in Philadelphia, USA so all amounts above are US $.

Hey all, it's been a while. I am selling the boardgames below. I've moved apartments and unfortunately need more space.

Top Shelf
  • Battlelore - 80 (excellent condition, unplayed, most components still in wrap)
  • Power Grid - 20 (unplayed)
  • Agricola - 30
  • Smallworld - 25
  • Race for the Galaxy - 10

Worth a Spin
  • Dominant Species - 25
  • Diplomacy - 10
  • Munchkin - 10
  • Munchkin Cthulhu - 8

Add-ons
Conquest of Pangea - 5

Shipping is negotiable depending on quantity, but probably around $5. Please feel free to make offers by PM, I'm especially flexible if you order more than one. Anyone who wants to buy the lot can have it for $200 and resell it piecewise for profit. I am happy to send photographs of the games and components or provide more details.

It's been a while but I have positive feedback here and here, admittedly on the buyers side.

Edit: I am based in Philadelphia, USA so all amounts above are US $.

How much would it be to ship Agricola to Australia?

zulux21

Top Shelf
  • Agricola - 30
  • Smallworld - 25
  • Race for the Galaxy - 10 (I call dibs :p)

Worth a Spin
  • Dominant Species - 25
  • Diplomacy - 10
  • Munchkin - 10
  • Munchkin Cthulhu - 8

Add-ons
Conquest of Pangea - 5

That's a lot of sexy up there lol, though my friend owns most of that thus I don't have a lot of reason to get most of that... though I did PM you about Race for the Galaxy as that one is for sure worth owning my own copy to play with my wife, especially with the new expansions coming out.

I do wish Quarriors was actually a good game.... do the expansions make it any better because the base game is only decent like 5% of the time with just the right draws during the set up :/

How much would it be to ship Agricola to Australia?

I tried to estimate for you via ups and i came up with $165... which seems a tad high :p
either way though given it's a 4.4 pound game I wouldn't be surprised even with cheap shipping if it was over $30 to ship it.

Neverfade

This is mostly for fellow BBTM champions Astro and JJJS: What are you guys' thoughts on the expansion. I bit the bullet and ordered a copy regardless, but my main concern is the balance with the downed abilities on the new factions vs the base game teams. Things still seem fair? Is there any downsides to these teams that even things out?

Keasar

Don't know what the shipping is over to Sweden but I would be all over A Few Acres of Snow.

Also, played my first game of Terra Mystica this weekend. Absolutely loved it! Every turn was a complex puzzle of resource management and trying to thwart whatever plan my opponent was most likely planning. He went for a early "Get a buttload of workers" strategy while I went for a more balanced and high risk approach, sacrificing power tokens and whatnot. Managed to win in the end by 30 points. :)

Great fun and that was just with 2 players, looking forward to trying it out with 4 or 5.

This is mostly for fellow BBTM champions Astro and JJJS: What are you guys' thoughts on the expansion. I bit the bullet and ordered a copy regardless, but my main concern is the balance with the downed abilities on the new factions vs the base game teams. Things still seem fair? Is there any downsides to these teams that even things out?
I've only played it once but the new teams didn't seem to be too unbalanced. The biggest downed skill I was worried about pre-release was the resurrection skill. The thing with that is you still need to roll a die and get an X in order for it to succeed. Unless you are ridiculously lucky you aren't going to be doing much resurrection. The other downed skills seem pretty evenly spaced and there isn't one team that is OP'd.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I bought Mage Knight but I can not get passed these instructions. :(

I wanna play it solo soon!

I bought Mage Knight but I can not get passed these instructions. :(

I wanna play it solo soon!

Took me months to get it on the table because of the rules. It's a simple game that just has a lot. You can skip a lot by doing the intro quest only with the basics as the rules recommend.

Icefire1424

Top Shelf
  • Agricola - 30

So tempted, so very...very tempted. Especially that Battlelore. Shipping wouldn't even be too bad considering I'm in the next state over...heh.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Shoulda went with Le Havre. You done fucked up. :p

In other news, I don't get Team Manager to the table nearly enough, so I rectified that last nite. Although I lost by a few points (thanks to some cheating orcs!), I had great fun with a certain star player combo. The Reaver passer that has Dump off and the Dwarf with Stand Firm. The tackle-heavy orcs were not pleased, haha.
I feel like there's very slight overall power creep but this is not based on resurrection just my limited experience in a few games. The new factions and enchanted balls are awesome though.

Anybody going to Gen Con willing to pick me up a copy of The Firefly game from Gale Force 9? They might have copies there but It's also a possibility they won't. All i know is they were going to show the game there so they might have copies to sell. I'll pay for shipping and the price of the game. I just need a kind soul to help me out.

Pepboy

Sorry for spamming but I found some more games in the closet this morning.

• Glory for Rome - 20 (non-blackbox, I.V Edition, Never played, most card decks still sealed)
  • Arkham Horror - 30
  • Last Night on Earth - 20
  • Star Wars Living Card Game - 20 (played once, recent FFG game)
  • Killer Bunnies - free if order something else (and assuming it fits in the shipping box)

Again, shipping $5 and I am pretty open to different deals/combos/offers.

Edit: I also have some video games that I'm willing to combine at discount, conditional on buying a boardgame.

• The Last of US (multiplayer code unused) - probably 40-ish
  • Theatrhythm FF 3ds
  • Assassins Creed 2 PS3
  • God of War 3
  • Samurai Warriors 3ds
  • Prof Layton and Miracle Mask 3ds
  • Kingdom Hearts BirthBySleep PSP
  • Batman Arkham Asylum PS3 (Shitty cover with no manual)
  • Flower Sun and Rain Nintendo DS

Ohnonono

Which means NR: Creation & Control is maybe coming out next week? :D :D :D :D

Still listed as on the boat on FF website. I would imagine more like 2 weeks. NR is so huge. My FLGS already has every copy of C&C they can get sold. I think Coolstuff stopped Pre-Orders on it too.

joelseph

Still listed as on the boat on FF website. I would imagine more like 2 weeks. NR is so huge. My FLGS already has every copy of C&C they can get sold. I think Coolstuff stopped Pre-Orders on it too.

Where do you see this? Their upcoming_edge page redirects me to the C&C official page with no firm dates. I need this!

joelseph

Anybody going to Gen Con willing to pick me up a copy of The Firefly game from Gale Force 9? They might have copies there but It's also a possibility they won't. All i know is they were going to show the game there so they might have copies to sell. I'll pay for shipping and the price of the game. I just need a kind soul to help me out.

I will do it for you. Please get my attention right before the con to remind me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speculation on BGG is late next week or early the following. Really hope they don't hold it out for gencon that would be horrible. For a while the data packs were coming almost too fast but now I'm starved for one.

Ohnonono

Where do you see this? Their upcoming_edge page redirects me to the C&C official page with no firm dates. I need this!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

If you scroll down and find C&C is is yellow and there is a little picture of a boat on the bottom right corner of its section. That means its "on the boat" and has not arrived at their warehouse. Once it gets to the warehouse it turns green and show up as "available soon" and usually its 7 to 10 days after that when distributors and some shops get it. This is in my experience.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Yup. CSI sold out really fast so I had to preorder from MM. NR is so huge I'm setting up a NR night here at work and expect 8-12 people to show up. Funny thing is it seems to be growing in popularity which is pretty impressive for an LCG with several expansions already out.

Ohnonono

Yup. CSI sold out really fast so I had to preorder from MM. NR is so huge I'm setting up a NR night here at work and expect 8-12 people to show up. Funny thing is it seems to be growing in popularity which is pretty impressive for an LCG with several expansions already out.

I had 2 core sets and ended up trading them for some OOP wargames. I will get it all again around Xmas hopefully. I prefer to play Star Wars if I can find a game but Netrunner is crazy popular.

daevv

Name that game time!

I came across this picture searching through Google and was wondering if anyone knew the name of it? I couldn't find the pic on the original website it came from when I went there.

P2i0H4p.jpg

Hey everybody,

I'm deciding whether or not I want to Kickstart this game. It looks pretty cool, and 40 bucks is a steal for all the stuff that's included. Anybody already kickstarting this?

Fallen

I'm sort of tired of playing Pandemic when our gaming group brings it over.

But at the same time, I feel like it needs a place in the collection. This normal?

tm24

Hey everybody,

I'm deciding whether or not I want to Kickstart this game. It looks pretty cool, and 40 bucks is a steal for all the stuff that's included. Anybody already kickstarting this?

Fallen

I can't get over how these people have not been C&D by Stardock for pretty much ripping off the Fallen Enchantress logo. The color is exact and the font is barely changed. I thought it was associated with Fallen Enchantress until I looked for something saying stardock

Its looks cool, but im wary of having to pay 15 for each extra adventure pack

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I can't get over how these people have not been C&D by Stardock for pretty much ripping off the Fallen Enchantress logo. The color is exact and the font is barely changed. I thought it was associated with Fallen Enchantress until I looked for something saying stardock

Its looks cool, but im wary of having to pay 15 for each extra adventure pack

ha, I totally didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Very true :lol, even more hilarious because it's also CALLED very similar.

Ubersnug

Hey everybody,

Fallen

Yep, I've kickstarted this. The fact that postage to the UK is $7 was a huge plus for me. Plus, those game mats looks awesome. Pledged for the game, 2 expansions and the Chaos map set.

Sorry for spamming but I found some more games in the closet this morning.

• Glory for Rome - 20 (non-blackbox, I.V Edition, Never played, most card decks Still sealed)

Again, shipping $5 and I am pretty open to different deals/combos/offers.
I'd be interested in taking this off your hands. I'll send you a PM. Thanks.

daevv

Hey everybody,

Fallen

I want to get it but it's a 2 player only game and won't get much play in my board game group.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm sort of tired of playing Pandemic when our gaming group brings it over.

But at the same time, I feel like it needs a place in the collection. This normal?

I personally won't get rid of "essential" games, even if I rarely play them, if that's what you mean.

That said, I haven't played the expansion Astrolad mentioned, so one day maybe I'll get on another Pandemic tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom