• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360/PS3/WII: Wii Takeover watch

donny2112 said:
300K-600K-300K

As JoshuaJSlone said, it's never safe to assume such an increase, but I don't think it's outside of the realm of reasonable possibilities.

Pretty much. It's completely reasonable to consider 1.2 M a possibility. I already have 300k pegged as my Aug NPD guess (roughly), and I expect at least 900k to move in Sept/Oct w/ Halo 3.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
koam said:
Updated the main post, Wii is 700,000 behind. They won't pass them this month. Dang!
It probably will pass it this month, it just won't be reflected in this thread until September. By the end of August, the current numbers will be almost 2 months out-of-date in NA and Europe and 4 weeks old for Japan. The Wii will probably pass the 360 in a about a week realtime.

Could you give the date that these numbers current though, as opposed to the when when we get these current numbers. For example, the current Japan total are though Aug. 5 not the 9th when they are released.

donny2112

EverSoTrendy said:
Who wants to bet a month ban that the Wii won't surpass the X360 in sales this year? Meaning ending in the last quarter.

You're a junior. You aren't really risking much here, are you?

I have to run right now, but if the wager looks like this:

EverSoTrendy: The Wii WILL NOT pass the 360 in worldwide installed base by the close of sales December 31st, 2007.

Segata Sanshiro: The Wii WILL pass the 360 in worldwide installed base by the close of sales December 31st, 2007.

Loser is banned for one month.

Then...I'm your huckleberry.

donny2112

EverSoTrendy said:
That's my tag you idiot.

"Junior Herb" :lol

You're right in that I only looked at the first part. That was a dumb mistake.

On to specifics, how would we accurately determine this without consistent and reliable PAL/Other numbers? Wii is already ahead of the 360 using the most recent Japanese numbers and U.S. + Canada through June. The deciding factor would be PAL/Other territories, of which I haven't heard a total PAL/Other number for the 360 in over a year. (We get a few individual countries but not a total PAL/Other number.) By my estimations, you'd be totally wrong, but I doubt you'd accept a month's ban based on my estimations. :p

donny2112 said:
"Junior Herb" :lol

You're right in that I only looked at the first part. That was a dumb mistake.

On to specifics, how would we accurately determine this without consistent and reliable PAL/Other numbers? Wii is already ahead of the 360 using the most recent Japanese numbers and U.S. + Canada through June. The deciding factor would be PAL/Other territories, of which I haven't heard a total PAL/Other number for the 360 in over a year. (We get a few individual countries but not a total PAL/Other number.) By my estimations, you'd be totally wrong, but I doubt you'd accept a month's ban based on my estimations. :p

Edit:

It's a month not a permaban. If your GAF account means sooo little to you, then don't ever log in again. ;)
Didn't we have an agree upon estimation to use 50% of NA total to account for PAL 360 sales? If not, we should have, with a lenghty and concise explanation on why this is the most reasonable estimate.

Vagabundo

neoxavean said:
And you're a moron. :lol If your GAF account means sooo much to you, then you need to get a life.

You know nothing about this person, you know nothing about his life. Your the moron, get a life.

donny2112 said:
300K-600K-300K

As JoshuaJSlone said, it's never safe to assume such an increase, but I don't think it's outside of the realm of reasonable possibilities.
The only time I know of a system doing 600K outside of November or December was when PS2 dropped to $199, and it had already been averaging over 300K in the preceding months.

For that matter, other than Wii in January, I think it's been a few years since any home console reached 400K outside of November and December.

Even further, neither Xbox nor X360 has had a single 300+K month outside of November/December.
donny212 said:
Well, you could go with shipped... assuming that both sides don't overly stuff the channel and actually provide regional breakdowns.

SMBB will sell a huge amount of consoles in Japan alone. Halo fever will have probably died down by December, leaving the door wide open for Nintendo to sell a huge amount of systems if they ship enough.

KINGMOKU

Wait, are people questioning wether or not the Wii will pass the 360 worldwide? by the end of the year?

Holy crap. Thats a given. It's just by how much, thats all.

Include me in any bet regarding that.

moku said:
Wait, are people questioning wether or not the Wii will pass the 360 worldwide? by the end of the year?

moku and Segata vs. Ever So Trendy.

This ain't gonna be pretty, hombre!

KINGMOKU

Segata Sanshiro said:
moku and Segata vs. Ever So Trendy.

This ain't gonna be pretty, hombre!
Hell, i'm so confident, i'll fire off the first pre-emptive strike;

getdown.gif

suck on that Bush!

titiklabingapat said:
Didn't we have an agree upon estimation to use 50% of NA total to account for PAL 360 sales? If not, we should have, with a lenghty and concise explanation on why this is the most reasonable estimate.

Using 50% during the holiday period, where so many factors influence purchasing trends, is a little risqué.

I expect US sales to grow more than European this Fall.

moku said:

How much stock do you think Nintendo is holding for the last months of the year? More than 4 million?

I'm not sure if we'll be able to make the call this December. I fully, 100% expect the 360 to maintain parity until after the holidays. The Wii will catch up in time for Halo 3 to push 360s, hard.

felipeko

RiskyChris said:
How much stock do you think Nintendo is holding for the last months of the year? More than 4 million?

I'm not sure if we'll be able to make the call this December. I fully, 100% expect the 360 to maintain parity until after the holidays. The Wii will catch up in time for Halo 3 to push 360s, hard.
They will have the usual 1 million a month, and a extra 4 million at least.
But i think they can even outdo this number.

Im pretty sure that by year's (or fiscal year) end Nintendo's sales can be higher than Microsoft shipments.

koam

Nintendo does NOT make 1 million Wiis a month. They upped that number either last month or the month before. I think they'are at 1.5 or 1.2 i forget.

felipeko

koam said:
Nintendo does NOT make 1 million Wiis a month. They upped that number either last month or the month before. I think they'are at 1.5 or 1.2 i forget.
That's why they will have an extra 4 million to holidays... o_O

C'mon EverSoTrendy, you've got not only Segata Sanshiro, not only moku, but also Auron vs. just one you! All you have to do is pull the trigger amigo!

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
JoshuaJSlone said:
The only time I know of a system doing 600K outside of November or December was when PS2 dropped to $199, and it had already been averaging over 300K in the preceding months.

For that matter, other than Wii in January, I think it's been a few years since any home console reached 400K outside of November and December.

Even further, neither Xbox nor X360 has had a single 300+K month outside of November/December.
Exactly, imo those numbers are just ... insane. From 500k in 3 months to 1.2m, 360 needs an astronomical boost.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Aren't all 3 consoles still missing sold figures from a few countries?

I understand it's probably hard to get sales from a lot of the Asian and Middle Eastern countries, but still.

I was under the impression ALL 3 of the consoles had sales a fair amount higher than what's listed in the OP.

Xisiqomelir

Segata Sanshiro said:
C'mon EverSoTrendy, you've got not only Segata Sanshiro, not only moku, but also Auron vs. just one you! All you have to do is pull the trigger amigo!

Your side is Wii LTD > 360 LTD WW year's end 2007? Count me in too.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
koam said:
Thanks for the aussie numbers, anyone got europe? Here are the updated numbers from the OP

TOTAL - 9,777,280

Wii
TOTAL - 9,127,229

PS3
TOTAL - 3,743,065

650K!!

Next milestones:
1) Wii surpasses X360 Worldwide
2) Wii surpasses X360 in USA
3) Wii surpasses X360 + PS3 LTD
4) PS3 hits 5 million :lol

Very interesting to say the least.

Xisiqomelir said:
Your side is Wii LTD > 360 LTD WW year's end 2007? Count me in too.
Xisiqomelir, Segata Sanshiro, moku, Auron, and Xeke vs. EverSoTrendy

SHAKE N BAKE

EverSoTrendy, you can land a mighty blow for your cause here!

TAKE A GULP AND TAKE A BREATH AND GO AHEAD AND SIGN THE SCROLL

Xeke

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Count me in. The Wii side, that is.

Mar

You can count me in on the Wii side too. If we lose, this is going to be one hell of a GAF culling.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:

I am heavily relying on the idea that higher console prices make people wait until "the game" is actually out before buying it. That is a paradigm shift from last generation where, as we saw in 2004 with the Xbox, the prices were reasonable enough to get people to buy in anticipation of "the game." I've tended toward overpredicting the 360 due to individual game releases last year (I've been near spot on most months this year, though), so I won't be too dissappointed if they sell less than 1.2 million in those three months.

As for the worldwide lead bet thingy ...

Maybe we can just include whatever numbers we have to figure out the total, even if it doesn't cover every country.
360 sold 5 million in Uzbekistan!

koam

Meh, buy MSFT if you think microsoft will win and NTDOY.PK if you think Ninty will :p

If Sony outsells the Wii and X360 worldwide by December 31st, 2007 i'll buy everyone in this thread 100 stocks of Sony :p

(A year ago people would have thought i was crazy) :p

Xeke

Banned
koam said:
Meh, buy MSFT if you think microsoft will win and NTDOY.PK if you think Ninty will :p

If Sony outsells the Wii and X360 worldwide by December 31st, 2007 i'll buy everyone in this thread 100 stocks of Sony :p

(A year ago people would have thought i was crazy) :p

Why would I want to buy NTDOY.PK when it's already high? Buy low, sell high.

koam

Xeke said:
Why would I want to buy NTDOY.PK when it's already high? Buy low, sell high.

I said the same thing when AAPL was $90 in april. Because, you can either buy low and sell high, or buy high and sell higher.

Xeke

Banned
koam said:
I said the same thing when AAPL was $90 in april. Because, you can either buy low and sell high, or buy high and sell higher.

That money has got to go to more important things. Like booze.

legend166

Shpeshal Ed said:
Aren't all 3 consoles still missing sold figures from a few countries?

I understand it's probably hard to get sales from a lot of the Asian and Middle Eastern countries, but still.

I was under the impression ALL 3 of the consoles had sales a fair amount higher than what's listed in the OP.

Countries outside NA, Japan and Europe make up a miniscule amount of sales. I think the next largest country is Australia, and we've only sold about 400k total next gen consoles.

Xeke

Banned
legend166 said:
Countries outside NA, Japan and Europe make up a miniscule amount of sales. I think the next largest country is Australia, and we've only sold about 400k total next gen consoles.

Pssh. The PS3 is tearing up the charts in New Zealand.

KINGMOKU

Haunted One said:
see? That's what I meant. :/
I gotcha. I thought it was funny, becuase I was thinking of a futurama episode.

Eh, oh well. I think my PS days for GAF are over.

I come up with some good ones(I think) occasionaly, but not enough for it to be worth it.

Pain in the ass.

I'm gonna limit myself to my Av's, becuase I do to many jokes that I am currently thinking of. :lol

Top Bottom