• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Internet Browser...thoughts?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just curious if anyone tried it. Going to Europe this week and since I am bringing my DS, thought it might be nice to try out at hotspots.

Anyone bought this thing? Bioshock?

maxmars

I bought it and, for all the flaws it has, it's quite usable.

You won't have any plugin (not even Flash), you can't see videos, you can't hear music. In forums like GAF you'd better disable images and turn into its own render mode which messes up the layout of the page (speeding up the page loading in the process).

But if you need to check your mail / forums / news sites, basically if you just need to pop into the net for small tasks, it's quite good. I use it in hotels instead of turning on the notebook when I need to just write / check mail.

It's kinda useless in many respects. Even if you disable images GAF runs really slowly, and you have to log in every single time you start the browser up due to it's lack of cookie storage.

Very few sites work well with it. Only one that works well is 4chan. It's no better than a Opera Mini on my mobile when it comes to speed.

I find it pretty annoying to use for most sites. I thought the "overview" mode looked great in videos, but in practice I found it to be rubbish

The only sites I have found that work well are ones that are meant for small mobile devices E.g. message boards that have "lo-fi" modes

I bought the DS Browser during the last ToysR'us 'buy 2, get 1 free' DS game sale. I've been having a lot of fun with it. It's great being able to lounge around anywhere in my home and surf the net!

It's true that the DS Browser is slow in loading up image bloated sites (unless you use a transcoder). Plus the lack of flash/java support sucks. But I found some mobile sites that work great on the browser. They all load fast and make surfing and checking email with the DS Browser very enjoyable.

DS Browser friendly links:

Portals:
Yahoo: m.yahoo.com
- Yahoo mail, search, news, etc.

Google: google.com/m/products
- Gmail, driving directions, news, search, etc.

MSN: mobile.msn.com
- hotmail, news, etc.

Gaming/Tech:
Nintendo World Report - nintendoworldreport.com/wireless
- Nintendo news

Engadget - m.engadget.com
- Technology news (Surfing this site will sometimes take you back to the normal site. If this happens just replace the "www" with 'm'.

iLounge - ilounge.com/index.php/mobile
- Apple/iPod news

Sports:
Fox Sports: mobile.ms.com/device/en-us/foxsports

Sporting News: mobile.sportingnews.com

ESPN: mobileapp.espn.go.com/wireless/espn/redesign

Shopping:
Amazon.com: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/h.html

Also use a transcoder to surf bloated (image heavy) sites like IGN. Google has one of the best transcoders out there:

www.google.com/gwt/n

:D

Top Bottom