• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for tips from couch PC gamers

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Would love more wireless keyboard recommendations folks

Unless you're doing playing PVP content, really any wireless keyboard is going to be fine. I use a fullsize (I did the smaller keyboards when I first ditched desk PC gaming, but the thin, but fullsize, form factor is the way to go) and we just put it on the coffee table or a side-pouch on the Lay-Z-Boy. Same with mouse; only thing wired are controllers, but those run under a rug.

Unless you're doing playing PVP content, really any wireless keyboard is going to be fine. I use a fullsize (I did the smaller keyboards when I first ditched desk PC gaming, but the thin, but fullsize, form factor is the way to go) and we just put it on the coffee table or a side-pouch on the Lay-Z-Boy. Same with mouse; only thing wired are controllers, but those run under a rug.
I guess I more mean for quality. Like durability, etc

That's what I use this keyboard for, nothing complex, nor does it feel convoluted:

Yea I was more referring to when you're already in a game. I've had issues with it where sometimes I can't get out of big picture mode. Sometimes my game will freeze, etc. When you're not in a game yet then yea that keyboard can work perfectly.

Works as you said, I have it up and running now 👍

But is there a way to get Game Pass games into Steam Big Picture Mode?
I don’t currently subscribe but want to know my options when Hellblade 2 comes out.

From what I remember it's a bit difficult to do. If you want to go that route than use a program called Playnite. Similar to steam big picture mode but will allow you to import games from Steam, Epic, game pass, etc.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I guess I more mean for quality. Like durability, etc

I use the Logitech K540 and it is easily the most solid (while also being very light) wireless I've used. Good key-travel (or whatever metric they use for how well it feels to type on) and it's been stepped and spilled on and still goes strong.

I use the Logitech K540 and it is easily the most solid (while also being very light) wireless I've used. Good key-travel (or whatever metric they use for how well it feels to type on) and it's been stepped and spilled on and still goes strong.
pRCqsHk.jpg

This? Super affordable if so. I don't think I need anything crazy bc I'll mostly be on controller.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yea I was more referring to when you're already in a game. I've had issues with it where sometimes I can't get out of big picture mode. Sometimes my game will freeze, etc. When you're not in a game yet then yea that keyboard can work perfectly.
I get what you say, but fortunately those issues are way too rare imo, never get them these days, also I'm the type of person that just turn PC on, play for a while, then close the game and Turn PC off from the Steam Big Picture, hell I don't even turn PC off completely, just suspend it so it gets in the game in mere seconds, I don't get out of SBP, no need to

A.Romero

Personally I only game on Couch PC with a controller. Xbox is my go to with the wireless receiver. Whatever requires KB&M is probably best on the desk.

I use Android's Unified Remote to control the basics of my PC through the network to click out of splash screens and Windows configs.

Fredrik

From what I remember it's a bit difficult to do. If you want to go that route than use a program called Playnite. Similar to steam big picture mode but will allow you to import games from Steam, Epic, game pass, etc.
Can you boot it into Playnite and only use controller?

For me it’s the scenarios where a keyboard or mouse is needed that breaks the living room equation for me.

1. I currently need to pick out a wireless keyboard with touch pad just to click with a mouse cursor on a login button after waking it up from sleep mode.
Super annoying. It makes sleep mode unusable.
Can that login be deactivated?
Or can you somehow get control of the mouse cursor in Windows with a controller?

2. When I power it off completely it can boot directly into Steam Big Picture mode and no Windows login. great!
But wait! When powering it off it sometimes mess up the RPG in the case at start and I ”need to” pick up the keyboard with touch pad to go into MSI center and fix the rgb.

Sigh.

Last edited:

stevish

Neo Member
I ended up buying this from aliexpress and it's been quite good! The backlight comes in handy and has great battery life. wouldn't use it for gaming but for navigation.

After that use moonlight, I have a small pc where my TV is that connects to main pc in other room. You will need ethernet for it to work pretty much flawlessly. I have a rocatt sova but I don't use it, if I want to play with mouse I'll go where the desk is

TrebleShot

I ended up buying this from aliexpress and it's been quite good! The backlight comes in handy and has great battery life. wouldn't use it for gaming but for navigation.

After that use moonlight, I have a small pc where my TV is that connects to main pc in other room. You will need ethernet for it to work pretty much flawlessly. I have a rocatt sova but I don't use it, if I want to play with mouse I'll go where the desk is
Mind sharing your mini pc and specs?

I’ve been using a docked steam deck for this use and it’s amazing but I have to choose 4k60 or 1440p120 which looks fine (better than all performance modes on ps5) but I really want to push 4k120 to max it out.

Fredrik

Playnite is kinda janky and pulled me out of the Playnite UI and left me in Steam Big picture mode when quitting Elden Ring.
It’s cool that they literally combine all launcher libraries in one list. But I’ve never felt so bad about my backlog before! 😅

Celcius

°Temp. member
From the latest Linus Tech Tips video:

WPQQwjF.png

Not sure what wireless mouse and keyboard that is but he's using a clipboard as a mousepad lol. But this shows that it's really not that hard to use a mouse + kb even when couch gaming.

Last edited:

Fredrik

After two weeks of living room PC usage I’d say being able to pull out a mouse or keyboard is essential.

Like last night when starting Horizon Forbidden West (great port!) there was a pop up saying there was a new nvidia driver that would improve the game. Needed to press an OK box with a mouse cursor to continue launching the game. So I pulled out my keyboard/mouse to click the box, then quit the game after the intro, minimized Steam, installed the driver, restarted the computer, then started the game again.
THEN I could put away the keyboard/mouse and use the controller and start playing.

Scenarios like that is where PC gaming stumbles in the living room for me. But this is all new to me. Idk maybe it’s possible to use the Dualsense touch pad to control the mouse cursor or something like that. Right now I use the Xbox Series controller and a keyboard with an integrated touch pad.

The upsides of having great framerates without worse visuals plus mods makes up for any annoyances though. I love it tbh, this is probably the biggest boost for my gaming hobby I’ve ever felt. ❤️

Top Bottom