• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Doel

If the party system was added in conjunction with the traditional lobby setup, that would be perfect. The system that Slant Six describes sounds like it'll follow that same setup, but without any mention if you can do it as a party. For all we know they may very well be doing exactly what you are saying. He didn't go into very much detail.

dralla

ok, so massive wall of text approaching. I've mapped out the controls and other idea's I'd like to see the series take. It still feels like the old games but evolves the gameplay.

* takes deep breath*

D-Pad:

Up - Primary Weapon [Rifle/SMG/Shotgun/Sniper]
Down - Secondary Weapon [Pistol]
Left - Lethal Equipment [Frag Grenades/H20 Grenades/Land Mines]
Right - Non-Lethal Equipment [2X Ammo/Smoke Grenade/Mine Detector]

This free's up the shoulder buttons to be used for other things. It's also easier to swap between weapons.

SII was plagued by grenades. At the start of the round it's nothing but grenade tossing. The lethal/non-lethal setup cuts back on grenade spamming and it's an additional element of strategy.

There was no way of seeing mines in SII, the Mine Detector will display mines that were laid down on your radar.

Analog Sticks:

Left Stick - Move character
L3 - Change posture [Stand/Crouch/Prone]
Right Stick - Look/Aim
R3 - First Person, reticle only, ala SII

Face Buttons:

X - Action [Demolition/Hop over ledges/Stealth Kills]
Square - Jump
Circle - Reload.
Triangle - Night Vision

Holding Circle will allow you to change rate of fire from Auto, Single, Burst. A menu will pop up and you'd select which rate you want by selecting it with the joystick, it will not cycle through them like the previous games.

A dedicated Night Vision mode should make night maps actually fun to play.

Shoulder Buttons:

R1 - Fire
R2 - Map
L1 - Over the shoulder aim mode
L2 - Cover

The map will cover the whole screen and use a grid system. You'll see an overhead view of them and your position on it. Each line on the grid will be represented by a number and a letter. This way you can easily tell your teamates where you're located or where an enemy is hiding. Ex: "I'm in B3, I see enemies in B4, I need backup". Your teamates will know exactly where you are. In addition, you can mark spots on the map. After marking a spot on the map, on the map will be a line showing the quickest way to get to that point, similar to the Saints Row map. The marking of spots could be confusing so I could understand if something like this didn't make it in. But if used correctly it would make it easier to organize a team.

Cover system would be very basic. No crazy Gears of War type stuff. Just simply put your back against walls, pillars, debree, ect., with the ability to peak and shoot.

OTS aiming would be for mid-range shots. If you try and use the OTS view in close range, you'll be circle strafed and gunned down. This will keep the close quarters combat [the heart of the series] similar to previous games and at the same time give the mid-range combat a new dynamic with OTS vs first person mode battles. When in OTS your character will be fully upright and move slowly and shoot accurately.

Misc.

Start - Pause/Options
Select - Scoreboard. Ability to mute/report players in-game

Radar will be sound based. Enemies will not appear on radar unless they're in your vicinity shooting an unsurpressed weapon. Silenced weapons will not appear on radar. Radar can be toggled on and off.

Camera will remain the same as previous games. Movement would still feel a bit arcadey - jumping off ledges, over gaps, out windows, ect. I do not want stiff, robotic Ghost Recon.

Party System is a must. Whether it's matchmaking or server list, the ability to jump around as a clan is essential in team based games.

Voice Chat could be also be mapped to the Trangle Button. This would allow a Squad System similar to Resistance/Battlefield. The Night Vision would be moved to the D-Pad, pressing any of the diagnol's would equip NV.

*exhales*

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ya know what i want in SOCOM: Conf.....a release date

is it KGB protected or what? nobody knows jack.. and i'm runnin' out of people to shake down.

Doel

I like your setup dralla.

Anyways a new post from Slant Six. Doesn't bring much but hints at a larger update next week (maybe Confrontation was part of that event last week? The embargo for that ends Friday morning).
Hey guys,

I am back this week with a really quick update so I’m not going to start a new thread. To clarify my comments about lobby system filters, it will be similar to what you have experienced in previous SOCOM games. You will choose “Custom Game” and sort through the region filters such as US East, US West, Canada West etc. to find or create a game. I can address one other concern: in Confrontation, SEALs will *not* have RPG’s as a loadout option.

With respect to the posts about the details of Confrontation’s release and beta, I think you guys know how this works, but I can’t comment on dates. The good folks at Sony will be sure to let you know as soon as there is official news. Keep posting questions, and hopefully I can provide an interesting update next week.

- ST6

Doel

SOCOM on tonight's On the Spot! :D

This week we're taking the crazy train all the way to Face Training City with Ontona No DS Kao Training for the Nintendo DS. We'll also spend some time with guests from 2K Sports, who have NHL 2K8 on display, as well as demos of Lair, Hot Pixel, and hey, how about some Undertow? We'll also bring you some highlights from the Madden NFL 08 launch and take a trip into the gritty world of gun training with Sony's SOCOM series.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/

Doel

It could be the PSP one but god I hope not :p (don't get me wrong, it looks cool, but Confrontation is the game I've been waiting for for 3 years).

7pm EST.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The PSP one actually seems interesting to me... I liked FSW... but I don't have a PSP anymore.

Anyway... I think I'll watch this tonight. Maybe we'll see some newer footage.

Man, after playing about six hours of Gears of War I think Zipper should sit down with an Xbox2 a copy of GOW and take some serious notes.

Not in terms of how the game play is situated, but in terms of control. The control and especially the interactive cover system from GoW is something that could really benefit SOCOM series.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Man, after playing about six hours of Gears of War I think Zipper should sit down with an Xbox2 a copy of GOW and take some serious notes.

Not in terms of how the game play is situated, but in terms of control. The control and especially the interactive cover system from GoW is something that could really benefit SOCOM series.

no. if socom became as slow and boring as gears then no please no.

Doel

Definitely disagree, but I do agree that Confrontation could benefit from a cover system. But it would have to be executed like Rainbow Six Vegas.

Better than standing behind a wall with your character starring at the bricks.

That's just it.

SOCOM has a cover system, it's just not as functional as it could be.

There's plenty of crap to take cover behind on stages. I know, I do it all the time. Problem is aside from leaning out, SOCOM really doesn't have a quick and friendly means of popping up and fading away easily.

I also like the emphasis on lighting in games like Gears and The Darkness. Again - Zipper needs to take notes from Starbreeze. There should be no invincible light source in a SOCOM game. F@ck the bellyachers that can't man-up and use Nightvision.

Adapt or get shot in the face Silence of the Lambs style! :D

I also like the dive system of Gears. SOCOM could use a similar combat roll.

Doel

False alarm. GameSpot was talking about SOCOM Tactical Strike. Looks like SOCOM Confrontation wasn't there.

Sony is REALLY under-serving the fans on this one. PR needs to put something together already.

Doel

Not much of an update this week, but at least we know to expect new info or something within the next 2 months:

SealTeam-6 said:
Hey Guys,

Quick post to let you all know that we are looking in to all of your feedback and making notes of all your suggestions and comments. We have nothing new to add this week but we are continuing to work hard on Confrontation and there will be plenty to talk about in the next couple of months.

SealTeam-6

Doel

Fresh news today. Slant-Six has clarified the "Crouch to stand" movement mechanic they are implementing into Confrontation.

Hey SOCOMers, back with a quick update to clarify another issue that resides high on the community’s wish-list of required fixes before Confrontation’s release, the “Crouch to Stand” movement mechanic. The “Crouch to Stand” is the movement system where the player can go from crouch to standing/running depending on the amount of input the player applies to the analogue stick, and yes Confrontation has it. It wasn't visible in previous videos as the mechanic wasn’t completed at that time. Today it is in the game and working great.

Have a great weekend,

SealTeam-6

Source

Doel

Another weekly update from Slant Six, but not much to discuss.

Hey SOCOMers, thanks for sticking with us even through the drought of news. I know you guys are waiting to see the game again, and the anticipation is torcher, so this week I want to give the community a heads up on development. The team is working very hard, pushing forward to hit essential milestones. We want to be sure the next time you see the game you have plenty to talk about.

In the future when we hit slow news weeks I will still come and post to let you guys know how thing are going at Slant and to let you know how development is coming along.

Till next week,
SealTeam-6

I'm happy they are keeping with the weekly updates though, even if they don't want to say too much just yet. Gives us something to look forward to every week. Keep up the great work guys, we can't wait to see it.

Doel

No one knows. At this point I'd say no, because the beta would have normally been out by now if it was.

So I'm thinking early next year.

Awww, never owned a Socom game before but I like the idea of buying them off the network like Warhawk, was hoping this would be this year :(

dork

Banned
a demo or beta would make me forget about call of duty 4 for awhile :) This will be my first socom online game. I played the 3rd one online for like 30 seconds on my ps3, it looked to bad for me to continue to play :(. So im really excited for this

J-Rzez

I also like the dive system of Gears. SOCOM could use a similar combat roll.

I agree with you a lot of the time, but not this time... Socom is a realistic shooter... Nobody does combat rolls... What you have is a proven "dive" which your character animates properly: Shooting hand with weapon forward at ready, off hand adjusting landing to guide into shooters prone ready position...

I think Socom's set up is just fine as is as far as that goes... I'll blow Gears out of the water online no problem... Socom is fast yet tactical with heavy realism... It's really the only game on the market like it, and after all it's success, I have no idea why people haven't tried to emulate it, outside of GRAW's online which fails miserably, not surprising...

There's a lot of great twitch shooters out there, but there's not many quality realistic shooters, and SOCOM is the top of the hill in that regard... The "realism" is what makes it king... Only thing that's "off" in the game, is your FoV in 3rd person, but I understand why they did that...

Doel

Possibly an update but probably nothing.

Basically a guy from gamefaqs states:
hey everyone, just making an update.. according to uk gamer confrontation is looking to be released q1 08. also the game is looking to add yet another map from the previous socom 2 game, doesn't say what map it is but their insiders arestating its between desert glory, vigilance, fish hook (personally hoping for fish hook.not too fond of the other two). Not stated why the set back but im guessing it has to do with the issues with home. hopefully this info helps!

Never the less, I don't want to ignore it and have it turn out to be true. Sure would be sweet if we could get another SOCOM 2 map at the launch of the game.

Doel

New post from Slant Six today!:

Hey everyone, I’m back from the dead! Actually I am back from a field trip where we were capturing high resolution audio for SOCOM: Confrontation. I can see the community isn’t pleased that I haven’t had a chance to post for a little while and it wasn’t my intention to be away from the forum for this long. As you have all noticed there have been no official Confrontation announcements as of late, and as a result there isn’t much that I can comment on. As for development, we are making solid progress and the team is really excited about the game.

Thanks for sticking with us, and I will continue to pop in weekly even if it’s going to be another slow news week.
SealTeam-6

Hmmm...for you development folks, if they were just capturing audio the past couple weeks then how far along in development can they be? They obviously had audio before (as it was in the trailer) but I guess they didn't capture all they wanted to.

methane47

Doel said:
New post from Slant Six today!:

Hmmm...for you development folks, if they were just capturing audio the past couple weeks then how far along in development can they be? They obviously had audio before (as it was in the trailer) but I guess they didn't capture all they wanted to.

Nice job with the updates Doel

Yeah, great job Doel.

I've been playing the SOCOM games since the very first game came out, I was one of the first people to go online with the thing and I'm honestly not impressed with Confrontation at all.

Going from SOCOM II to SOCOM 3 was a huge downgrade and then from 3 to Combined Assault - what a joke that was. Then again, the PS2 hardware was the huge limiting factor then.

The lack of full updates from Slant Six does not impress me in the least. Sure, the fans say - at least we're getting updates! Their updates are few and far inbetween, have little to no substance and quite frankly - if the game is going to come out in January or whatever - we should have a beta already.

If there is no beta or if there is a beta but only 1-2 months before the game ships - then this is all bullshit. How the hell are they going to fix their problems to make a solid multiplayer experience if we don't have the time to point out all the glitches and random bugs we run into EVERY SOCOM GAME.

/angry SOCOM 3 beta tester

I'm thinking 2008 release, February - April timeframe.

Anything sooner than that and the game is shit out of the gate, especially with no beta in sight.

CapoAheaz

argh, I need some new SOCOM. I tried to log into CA today, the server was not showing up on the universe page.

anybody else having problems connecting?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CapoAheaz said:
argh, I need some new SOCOM. I tried to log into CA today, the server was not showing up on the universe page.

anybody else having problems connecting?

You suck at bumping.

CapoAheaz

TTP said:
You suck at bumping.

sorry maybe i should have made a new thread asking if anyone else can connect to socom CA.

seriously though, they couldnt have shut down the servers, right?

spwolf said:
haha, I was thinking it got announced :D

my bad. ive gotten a nasty itch for it.

As cool as all the new PS3 titles look, this is the one game I bought my PS3 for. I need that new shit damnit.

Doel

Some new, worth while info, straight from Slant Six:

Hey SOCOMers,

This was another great week of questions so I will dive right in.
To begin, there was a question regarding map design and the scope of the maps with respect to buildings that can be occupied and explored. As a general rule we are trying to make as many building interiors as accessible as possible. There are some limitations in maps such as Crossroads, where specific building are designed as blockers to create good flow and to balance encounter times. In general we give as much space and freedom to the player as possible.

As for the animation in the preview videos seen a while back, let’s just say we have come a long way since then. At the time many of our animations simply didn’t exist (the jump is a good example), much of the animation blending wasn’t in place and the gameplay you saw was using placeholder animation data. We have recently completed a huge mocap shoot at Sony’s awesome facility in San Diego, and you guys can be the judge of the animation the next time media is released.

As for character/weapon customization and encumbrance, I can’t comment yet. When more details are officially released I will provide insight into those mechanics if you still have questions.

Also if you missed it SOCOM: Tactical Strike has gone Gold! and we here at Slant are proud of Tactical Strike team and their amazing accomplishment.

Check out the post on the PlayStation Blog http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/10/24/socom-tactical-strike-g
oes-gold/ and we look forward to the fan response.

Keep the questions coming!

SealTeam-6 Out

Doel

New updates! :D

Hey SOCOMers, I’m back with answers to a few questions.

First off I would like to take a moment to clear up some confusion that has arisen in regards of Crossroads map and how many players it can support. What you have seen to date is a rebuilt version of the classic Crossroads map. The artwork has been redone for PS3 with high fidelity textures, shaders and lighting as well as some small adjustments to scale in certain spaces. To reiterate, the only area that has been shown is the 16 player area of the map. The 32 player mode for Crossroads is an expansion to the original map that creates an additional ring of buildings, roads and terrain around the original core. If you ever wondered what lay beyond the barricaded roads in the original map, we are going to show you. Also, for those who were concerned, the destructible bridges in the map will function exactly the same way they have in the past. The paths underneath the bridges will be blocked with the debris of the ruined bridge once destroyed.

To respond to the feedback on audio, our sound quality will be a dramatic improvement over the previous SOCOM games due to the fact that we can push a lot more with the PS3. Like I mentioned in a previous post we have captured high resolution samples of our weapons being fired and I’m positive everyone will be impressed with the final results.

Let’s move on to the mocap questions. For the mocap we hired actors to wear the suits as they were able to deliver more dramatic movement which translates really well into games. Don’t fear however: Rob Roy was at the shoot (the ex-US Navy SEAL that you’ve seen on the box art of every SOCOM game) giving detailed examples and guidance to the actors to keep it authentic. Also, have you ever ask tried asking a SEAL to do a victory dance? Neither have we.

The last question I am going to cover this week was if I or any of the other members of the dev team plan on playing the game with the community when it comes out: the answer is YOU BET, we can’t wait to face you guys online! When the game goes gold, the Slant Six clan will be active and dispensing justice.

SealTeam-6

Yes, you can choose to play Crossroads core (16 players, classic map, new art) or Crossroads full (32 players, new areas beyond the core).

Victory dances will be in the game! I was simply saying that we used actors to do the mocap, who in addition to doing great work on the game's moveset were willing to do the victory dances. They did them, we captured them, all is well. I was just joking that Rob may have kicked our asses if we had asked HIM to do the victory dances...

SealTeam-6

As I have posted before, I will never be able to talk about dates. Our production team at Sony handles all announcements of that nature. Once dates and features are announced, I can answer your questions as best as I can - but I will never be able to discuss the development schedule.

SealTeam-6

J-Rzez

Nice, Victory Dances remain! And I'm so happy the upped the ante for sound, it lacked soo much before... Can't wait for classic "Xroads Only" rooms :D

Please let Desert Glory be in there... plz plz plz...

tribal24

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Nice, Victory Dances remain! And I'm so happy the upped the ante for sound, it lacked soo much before... Can't wait for classic "Xroads Only" rooms :D

Please let Desert Glory be in there... plz plz plz...

<3 desert glory sigh i feel like playing socom 2 or 1 now

Kittonwy

Banned
Slant Six, I want to see some visual improvement rawr.
Indifferent2.gif

I haven't seen much about Socom outside this thread, but I didn't like much of the previous games in the series. Then again, I found out about the game way late!

Here's hoping I can get in on Confrontation and have a bit of fun in the process! :D

Doel

Official comment from SCE in the latest EGM on why SOCOM Confrontation was delayed.

Why was it delayed?: "It was purely due to the fact that we didn't want to compromise the quality of SOCOM: Confrontation." Says SCEA Producer Mark Rogers.

Worth the wait?: Well, it can't hurt--this squad-based shooter's initial showing wasn't too hot. But at least Sony recognizes this. "The title must reflect the excellence in online play that the franchise is known for," says Rogers.

The magazine lists Confrontation as "Spring 2008".

kenta

Has no PEINS
Doel said:
Official comment from SCE in the latest EGM on why SOCOM Confrontation was delayed.

I thought the game looked pretty good when they showed it, good enough for a PSN title at least

As long as it's fun, I'm cool with the delay

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:

Yeah, get that party system in there Slant Six!!! AND SELF-SHADOWING!!! AND HDR!!! AND HAVOC PHYSICS!!!
angry.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
kenta said:
I thought the game looked pretty good when they showed it, good enough for a PSN title at least

They need to compete with the likes of GRAW and COD4 though, those are SOCOM's biggest enemies right now, maybe topping COD4 is probably too hard, but given GRAW has stayed stagnant, it's a good opportunity for them to swoop in and take ownership of that part of the military shooter userbase on the PS3, hold an iron grip on that player base and never let go, make your userbase first-party franchise loyal.
angry.gif

kenta said:

"Pretty good", whether that refers to presentation or game quality, isn't going to cut it right now, PSN title or not. There's some fierce competition right now.

Kittonwy said:
but given GRAW has stayed stagnant

Not that I'm particularly fond of it, but how exactly has it remained stagnant? If anything, it's changed far too much from the original format.

Arsenic

AltogetherAndrews said:
"Pretty good", whether that refers to presentation or game quality, isn't going to cut it right now, PSN title or not. There's some fierce competition right now.

Not that I'm particularly fond of it, but how exactly has it remained stagnant? If anything, it's changed far too much from the original format.
Yeah, and to top that, they need to make up for the mess they did with Socom 3. "Good enough for a PSN game" is never good enough for the hardcore.

Top Bottom