• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kelly Clarkson buys Jane Austen ring, England won't let her leave country with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

luoapp

But what happens after the 30th September though?

The bar is to "allow time for a British buyer to raise funds to buy the work instead and keep it in the UK". [wiki]. So, after the date, the minister can issue a new bar or give a license to export. It all depends on if the museum can raise enough money or make a deal with Clarkson.

An interesting case from 2011: a 'Lost Rubens' painting was temporally banned, but later granted an export license. A short, interesting read ( 1page) in the arts council's annual report.
http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/media...rt_Export_of_Objects_of_Cultural_Interest.pdf

leadbelly

Banned
The bar is to "allow time for a British buyer to raise funds to buy the work instead and keep it in the UK". [wiki]. So, after the date, the minister can issue a new bar or give a license to export. It all depends on if the museum can raise enough money or make a deal with Clarkson.

An interesting case from 2011: a 'Lost Rubens' painting was temporally banned, but later granted an export license. A short, interesting read ( 1page) in the arts council's annual report.
http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/media...rt_Export_of_Objects_of_Cultural_Interest.pdf

Thanks for that. It's certainly an interesting read. I'm still reading it, but I came across this little bit of information:

I look forward to taking further the proposals to introduce
a requirement for owners to compensate those bodies
and institutions which have suffered loss and damage as
a result of the owner's refusal to accept a matching offer.
It is unacceptable for such owners to undertake repeatedly,
at various stages of the process, to accept a matching offer
and thus encourage all concerned to make strenuous efforts
to raise the necessary funds, only for the owners to renege
on their undertakings at the last minute. The concept of
‘loss and damage’ is a well-established legal precedent
and so the consequences of refusing a matching offer will
be clear at the outset. I look forward to discussing the
introduction of this new procedure with all concerned in
order to eradicate this unacceptable behaviour.

So in 2011 they were looking to introduce a requirement for owners to compensate any body or institution they didn't accept a matching offer from if they incurred loss and damage as a result.

It goes to show the law surrounding this is a little more complicated than it seems.

luoapp

So in 2011 they were looking to introduce a requirement for owners to compensate any body or institution they didn't accept a matching offer from if they incurred loss and damage as a result.

It goes to show the law surrounding this is a little more complicated than it seems.

It always is. Then again, I am pretty confident all involved will find a solution acceptable for everyone, after all, it's all for "the love of the art".

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
EzsGX4W.jpg

Kelly_Clarkson_-_Miss_Independent_CD_cover.jpg

I like to think that Kelly Clarkson's reaction to this whole thing was:

'Oh, cool ring! I should buy that. Cool, I bought i-'

'HAY IT'S A NATIONAL TREASURE GIVE IT BACK'

'Uh...ok?'

FStop7

Banned
This isn't unusual. If you want to take something of historical importance out of the country there's a waiting period where other people who are going to keep it in the country can match your offer.

I'd rather our historical heritage stayed here rather than being a curiosity of some pop star on another continent.

What you're now feeling are the icy cold stares of millions of Egyptians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom