• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Call of Duty Ghosts using higher-res textures than next-gen console versions

Rat Salad

Banned
This.

Even though I think the graphics of CoD: Ghosts are laughable for next gen ,I will still buy it on my PS4 or Xbox One over my Xbox 360 and PS3.

At the very least it will go from 640p to 1080p, have some improved textures, and have the Game DVR/Share button feature set on next gen.

Not to mention the new Xbox One Controller, and the Dualshock 4 should improve the experience greatly.

Another reason to go next gen over current-dedicated servers too for XB1,right? (I have no idea if Sony has them for PS4 or not so...) But yeah-dedicated servers are nice to have for next gen consoles. Would go a long way in helping against all the lag in COD games.

Kade

No, and the new Call of Duty account thing with Ghosts isn't coming to PC either.

Not even going to bother if that's the case. Across having to wait longer for DLC and not having feature parity with the Microsoft and Sony consoles, the PC version is almost as bad as the Wii U version which probably isn't getting either.

Welcome to reality? Not every PC obviously though.

But if you have a GPU with 3-4 Gigs of VRAM you in all likelihood have more effective RAm for a game to use than the nextgen consoles.

Nope. You could use 4GB for graphic on PS4 and still have another 2GB to use to the rest. Again, lack of memory is not the reason the PC version has bigger textures, it's the fixed 1080p resolution on consoles the reason.

NBtoaster

Makes sense. Consoles are likely using less than 3GB as vram, PCs support more with more bandwidth.

PC textures will probably look better than whats been shown so far too.

StevieP

Banned
When I actually play the game, it looks more like the top screen than the bottom one. Thats all that matters.

Direct Feed screens are a horrible representation of what games actually look like in motion. I hate them.

No, they're an exact representation of how the game looks. And that's fine. When playing the game in motion, the jaggies are much easier to ignore. But they're still there. If you adapt yourself to the platform, it's no big deal. Before I built my 2700k/2x7850 rig in 2011, I had to play plenty of Wii games on the Wii. Hell, I still played some of the more recent CoD games on the Wii (not Dolphin) despite owning the PC skus as well because of how much fun pointer controls were. And there were jaggies everywhere. But when you're playing the game you just... play the game. I don't know how to describe it. I own a rig with titans in it, but I have no issues booting up any of my consoles. The point was that bullshots are disingenuous representations of the games, and I find it amusing and shake my head that everytime someone posts a picture of the usual suspects that they're the massively touched up press shots and not framebuffer grabs. We should have higher standards of honesty here.

Eh regardless, PC will always rule the scene. Its the nature of the beast. STill gonna enjoy PS4 and XB1 a whole lot though. I can easily go between all 3 and enjoy graphics for each. Hell i enjoy the graphics for the original TombRaider, I'm not hard to please. Next gen will be fine for these machines. �������� Best not to get caught up in dick waving threads, its pointless. And yes I think DriveClub looks good. But am hoping for better before release. Though i wish i could afford a $1,000 Titan. LOL. Damn!

This is the correct attitude to have, in my opinion. You're not going to get superior results out of a console than you will a PC, but you can still enjoy the platform. Just don't expect things that aren't possible.

wat?

I'm really surprised a PS4/Xbone can't handle textures that are just as high-res as the PC version.
Probably because of the target resolution. At 1080p there will be a point where increasing texture resolution won't make a difference, but it would be noticiable if you were running in 4K.

Not sure if that's the reason, though, but it would make sense.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Probably because of the target resolution. At 1080p there will be a point where increasing texture resolution won't make a difference, but it would be noticiable if you were running in 4K.

Not sure if that's the reason, though, but it would make sense.

That would make sense, if the texture resolution wasn't already horrible for 720p.

If this was the Order, Dark Sorcerer, Quantum Break, or something saying that a hypothetical PC version would have better textures, that would make perfect sense.

But with CoD: Ghosts, its kind of baffling.

NBtoaster

That would make sense, if the texture resolution wasn't already horrible for 720p.

If this was the Order, Dark Sorcerer, Quantum Break, or something saying that a hypothetical PC version would have better textures, that would make perfect sense.

But with CoD: Ghosts, its kind of baffling.

We don't know what the final pc textures look like yet.

I love when people speaking about prices, they ask for making a PC comparable to PS4 with 400 dollars, but they always forget that they've to pay 50 dollars per year for playing online.

Its funny, I was considering giving Ghosts a chance at one point due to the nostalgia of CoD2 on the 360...but yeah, no thanks. Not supporting this level of lazy, uninspired developing.

Anyways..

Fair enough. I will entertain this.

Fist of all, the CoD shot is from a Call of Duty advertisement with the sole purpose of showing how Next Gen CoD Ghosts looks. I didn't pick that camera angle to be unflattering, the devs literally picked that to best show off their AAA millions of dollars budget game. Meanwhile the Uncharted shot is just gameplay from a random Gafer.

Second of all. If you know ANYTHING at all about texture work, then you know that those uncharted textures are FAR better than the CoD textures based on look alone, a couple of feet away and those CoD rock shots won't suddenly have all the detail, non repeating uniqueness, and overall great look that the Uncharted textures exhibit. It simply wont happen.

Third of all, a few feet difference or not, any blind person could see that the textures are lower res in that CoD shot than the Uncharted shot, irregardless of distance.

but sigh, I will indeed look to the internet and find a closer shot of Uncharted textures to enlighten the blind defenders.

Oh look, even Uncharted 1 has more detailed textures than Call of Duty Ghosts.

uncharted5.jpg

iqO7Z6A343H9M.png

+

This post shows a fundamental lack of knowledge and understanding in how textures work.

The texture work is better in any of those uncharted gameplay shots than the Tech Demo made by Infinity Ward and the camera angle chosen by those in charge of the textures. End of story, this is not debatable, no matter how much you wan't to blame it on a camera, (even though the CoD shot is from no clip mode...)

But okay, here are some first person screens of some games on 360.

This is a closeup of a grenade from a grenade launcher flying through the air in Halo Reach.
reach_12947_Full.jpg

Halo 3 from 2007. "If you can read this you're too close."

(I took all these shots myself, yes in replay mode, which no, does not effect texture art nor resolution.)

Halo 4
Loss of detail textures effect, but still great artistically.

All that on 512mb of ram in 2006-2012.

2013, New Hardware, 8000MB of ram, New Engine, screenshot from a tech demo made by devs.
iqO7Z6A343H9M.png

+

PS3:

PS4?

I am pretty sure you can fit extreme high res textures in 6GB GDDR5.....

+

^ that all speaks volumes. What a freaking joke of a 'new engine' and next gen game IW.

pixlexic

Banned
Its silly. no one is saying the next gen consoles will never run this cod with high rez texture. its just right now they didn't have time to optimize the game to do it.. were as PCs can just muscle it to run well .. optimize or not.

and if you are trying to compare the consoles to pc then I don not really know what to say.

BigTnaples

they love bullshots and they think game is comparable when it run in their living room.

Follow along with the conversation there bud.

Half the shots posted were literally pictures of the game being played in someones living room.

The other half were by me, replay shots, and as we have already discussed in detail, AA and AF have absolutely 0 effect on close up shots of game texture resolution and art.

Its silly. no one is saying the next gen consoles will never run this cod with high rez texture. its just right now they didn't have time to optimize the game to do it.. were as PCs can just muscle it to run well .. optimize or not.

optimize is not magic, how you optimize a texture?Reducing resolution. That is all.

Not even going to bother if that's the case. Across having to wait longer for DLC and not having feature parity with the Microsoft and Sony consoles, the PC version is almost as bad as the Wii U version which probably isn't getting either.
No DLC for Wii U, which is also why it has no hardened or prestige editions of the game.

On the bright side, Activision is finally treating some fans worse than Sony fans!

BigTnaples

and if you are trying to compare the consoles to pc then I don not really know what to say.

Well. I think it is fair to say that CoD: Ghosts won't ever run with high res textures on Next Gen consoles. They are releasing the higher res textures on PC, and the console textures are nothing impressive.

Unless they release an "HD texture pack", but that it rare if not unheard of on consoles.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I doubt it has anything to do with the hardware in these new machines compared to PCs and everything to do with the developer, their engine, or time. Maybe it is because of PCs displaying at higher resolutions, but Ghosts isn't exactly anything special visually, small maps and not a lot of people on them and what they showed us the other day wasn't exactly any sort of real step up from current gen, just a bit shinier.

So I can't blame people for wondering why, other games we have seen are pulling off much better visuals while doing a hell of a lot more on next-gen systems.

BigTnaples

Disc install like BF3. Technically not an upgrade really IMO.

Yeah, if it comes on the disc I don't see that as an upgrade at all.

Skyrim on the PC for instance, official HD texture pack DLC was an upgrade. (Even though it should have been in the game at launch IMO)

ToeKnee

Neo Member
Will the 'new' features like lean and slide be on different keys than just intuitively leaning out when you're in cover like on the consoles? I can't imagine it being too hard to remap the buttons on the PC.

Gaogaogao

Is it not 1080p anymore? lol. I know some EA guy said a while ago that next-gen versions were running at 1080p 60fps, I didn't know if they had updated us on that recently though.

next gen, games will be '1080p' the way most current gen games were '720p', not everyone gets there.

Who uses ignore lists anyway? I've never even considered it.
Ignore lists can make NeoGaf a more pleasant place for you. I have very few people on my ignore list, but most of the time I end up viwing the post anyways LOL

Maybe I shouldn't have referred to Halo 3 directly. My point was that the majority of screenshots posted in here and most everywhere else outside the PC screenshot thread are bullshots. Cleaned up press shots with no aliasing. For example, when Naughty Dog releases a screenshot, it looks like this:
uncharted-3-multiplayer-airport.jpg

And when people take direct framebuffer grabs it looks like this:

Uncharted-3-Wallpaper-Airstrip-01-LANDSCAPE-SETTING-ENVIRONMENT.jpg

And that it's disingenuous to use bullshots as example. Direct framebuffer grabs, like the ones from CoD: Ghosts, are actual representations of the game you will be seeing with the image quality you will be seeing. That is a truer representation. Developers like Infinity Ward, Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve, etc don't generally do bullshots for their console work. Here, Infinity Ward is posting PC screens (with higher image quality than consoles will be) but are stating plainly that they are PC screens and they haven't photoshopped the hell out of them like a lot of the other stuff in this thread has been. Treasure the honesty, don't lament it. Even if the game doesn't look as good as you'd like, you can appreciate the honesty.
Yep, this is exactly what Uncharted 3 looks like. COD Ghost looks much better. BigTnaples is just hating on a couple of rocks on COD and proclaiming that the whole game's textures are of that quality.

Just for showing how bad the textures are in Uncharted 2 here is a shot I took.
picturesfromtheplaysttbsdx.jpg

Because even console game textures look awesome in 1280x720 screenshots
No, no they do not.
So I can't blame people for wondering why, other games we have seen are pulling off much better visuals while doing a hell of a lot more on next-gen systems.

This is not true. This game is doing 1080p, 60fps with real time lighting, double rendering, particle effects, and sub-D.

Top Bottom