• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall Design choices and small info nuggets

Nibel

Close your eyes if old

Final official boxart for all three planned platforms
3GehMYF.jpg

- On the Titan design

“Titanfall isn’t fantasy sci-fi,” designer Fairfax ‘Mackey’ McCandlish says. “You look at it and you believe this stuff could be built. At Respawn we have art guys from Infinity Ward, new guys from art school, and even guys from Sony Santa Monica, and they put a tonne of research into it to make sure that these things could be built.”

- On the actual style of combat

“Our game is still infantry-based,” McCandlish explains when asked how Titanfall compares with the Infinity Ward refugees’ previous work on Call Of Duty. “But it’s infantry on two different scales, so these maps are all carefully crafted to have all the strengths of a traditional shooter level, but with this scale disparity that you get between Titans and Pilots. If you’re a Pilot, we want you to feel you can turn the tide of a fight between two Titans, and if you spot a Titan looking the wrong way, you can scramble up the leg, rip off the panel and start tearing up the innards.”

- On map design

“We’re not making wide-scale tank-driving maps here,” McCandlish explains. “That means we can focus on making the maps just the right size for large infantry and small infantry.” And that means dramatic changes in elevation, short sightlines and close-quarter battles on the one map Respawn showcased at Microsoft’s E3 press conference.

- On their (super weird) choice for console ports

“We’re a very small team, so we had to pick a platform if we were going to be on consoles,” McCandlish continues, “and Xbox made the most sense. I feel that, in terms of multiplayer and communal gaming, Microsoft is like the Apple of videogames. You can just start your game without finding your disc, you can go to your friend’s place and your saves are all there, and with the cloud servers you don’t ever have to worry about transferring between hosts or bad latency.”

- On including a story

Those dedicated servers will be essential for powering Titanfall’s story-driven multiplayer, where player-controlled Pilots and Titans fight alongside AI grunts and giant autopilot Titans on maps with a narrative beginning, middle and end. Multiplayer needs a story in the same way that tanks need legs but, McCandlish argues, adding a little context to multiplayer lets the team shape and direct the action in a way not possible in other shooters. Grunts and giant Titans alter the flow of the battle, objectives change based on narrative moments, and every battle builds towards a spectacular climax, never culminating in a steady, flat march towards a victory or defeat.

There is more here: Source (EDGE)

Also, they've posted this picture on their FB page which let's me suggest that Gamescom visitors will be able to play TitanFall

Prine

Banned
Don't think it's an understatement suggesting MS consoles have been the online multiplayer console of choice. Xbox and 360 were, convinced it'll be the same for The One

S¡mon

Banned
I'm going to enjoy this game so much on my PC, together with all the awesome exclusives on the (soon to be mine) PS4.

Kinyou

S¡mon;77123671 said:
I'm going to enjoy this game so much on my PC, together with all the awesome exclusives on the (soon to be mine) PS4.
I find it interesting how people recently always feel the need to announce their console of choice

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not sure I like the idea of narrative in multiplayer. If I lose an mcom in battlefield or the bomb gets planted in cs I dont need a little codec screen to pop up with a worrird character yelling at me about it.

So far this is the best upcoming videogame (just in general) though so of course im interested to see more.

Watch as the 360 version has host advantage and finding new host in every match, one thing I will be glad to see the back of next gen.

moai

Is there any info about the player count on PC? i think the 16 player limit is to low.

S¡mon;77123671 said:

You missed "Tm".

mclem

- On including a story

Those dedicated servers will be essential for powering Titanfall’s story-driven multiplayer, where player-controlled Pilots and Titans fight alongside AI grunts and giant autopilot Titans on maps with a narrative beginning, middle and end. Multiplayer needs a story in the same way that tanks need legs but, McCandlish argues, adding a little context to multiplayer lets the team shape and direct the action in a way not possible in other shooters. Grunts and giant Titans alter the flow of the battle, objectives change based on narrative moments, and every battle builds towards a spectacular climax, never culminating in a steady, flat march towards a victory or defeat.

I will admit, I'm not a multiplayer gamer, but this interests me, if it's done right. My favourite mode in Team Fortress 2 is Payload - because it has a very clear sense of progression (Painting it as a 'story' is perhaps a bit generous, but it *is* key in that it's always in the frame of working towards a single fixed goal with clear objectives along the way that meaningfully progress you towards said goal). Having that feeling available for both sides should be feasible, and it'd be a nice basis and foundation on the structure of the multiplayer, and would certainly make it more interesting to me.

wait a minute, this is coming to pc? when was that announced, at the initial reveal?

Will the pc version take advantage of the cloud mumbo jumbo?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wait a minute, this is coming to pc? when was that announced, at the initial reveal?

Yes, the PC version was announced from the off, and "the cloud" is nothing but a buzz phrase referring to dedicated servers, so "yes" also.

Edit: b10.

Mindwipe

"The Cloud" really just means dedicated servers.

Nothing to stop dedicated servers for PC games. Hell, most of them already have them.

I will admit, I'm not a multiplayer gamer, but this interests me, if it's done right. My favourite mode in Team Fortress 2 is Payload - because it has a very clear sense of progression (Painting it as a 'story' is perhaps a bit generous, but it *is* key in that it's always in the frame of working towards a single fixed goal with clear objectives along the way that meaningfully progress you towards said goal). Having that feeling available for both sides should be feasible, and it'd be a nice basis and foundation on the structure of the multiplayer, and would certainly make it more interesting to me.

How many times will you go through the same story though? People play thousands of multiplayer matches in other games. Is it randomized elements to keep it from being the same experience every so often?

mclem

How many times will you go through the same story though? People play thousands of multiplayer matches in other games. Is it randomized elements to keep it from being the same experience every so often?

You would *hope* that the random elements come about from the other players!

Just to be clear, since the 180, is this game still going to be always online or will you be able to play offline with bots now?
I would imagine that any game that was already planned and designed around being always-online would remain so; if they did not, it'd add a ton of extra unexpected workload onto them.

Ushae

Banned
Still a bad comparison then.

So great choice for the target audience then? :D (I consider 15 year olds kids)

Wasn't my comparison, it's in the article/OP ;)

OT: Demo units sounds promising, more people can finally get their hands on this game and vindicate if it's worthwhile.

*digital version only

But, you can play digital versions of any game without needing the disc, on 3ds, Vita, PS3, 360. Respawn does realize that, right? I dont see how that is some huge advantage to Xbox One. You can also use cloud saving on PS3 as well. The only advantage seems to be the Dedicated Servers, and Sony or its in house devs haven't said anything about that on Sony's side.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But, you can play digital versions of any game without needing the disc, on 3ds, Vita, PS3, 360. Respawn does realize that, right? I dont see how that is some huge advantage to Xbox One. You can also use cloud saving on PS3 as well. The only advantage seems to be the Dedicated Servers, and Sony or its in house devs haven't said anything about that on Sony's side.

It's just PR fluff talk. None of the pros listed are exclusive to the X1.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Since Titanfall is using Source for its engine I'm looking forward to the PC release. I'm guessing it will use Steamworks for achievements but how will the other online elements work if they're not using it for matchmaking?

Their reason for choosing Xbox could also be said for the PS4. I'd imagine developing for the PS4 would mean releasing it for the PS3 as well, in that case not all their reasons apply I guess.

"Cloud servers"

Is that the new term for dedicated servers?

Kade

Can't wait. I've been waiting for something to replace the TF2 shaped hole in my heart but nothing seems to keep me playing. I really love the Pilot traversal/parkour stuff.

Top Bottom