• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

FightyF

Banned
speculawyer said:
Really? That would be a good way of doing it but it doesn't make as much logical sense to match the rest of their control scheme since this is a pass, not a shot or deke.

In any case THEY SHOULD PUT THIS SHIT IN THE MANUAL!

It wasn't even in the 07 manual. :p

Kingpen

so one thing that is bugging me on NHL08 right now.... How do you dump the puck for a dump and chase strategy? Maybe i'm missing it, but the controls don't explain how (or at least there isn't a button for it). I am getting owned when i play because I basically have to lug the puck into the zone everytime on the half boards. When I go up past center ice, the guy shoots the puck on net, but not in the corners where could sent guys to go dig it out. PLEASE GIVE SOME ADVICE.

Also, is there a decent way to learn how to do faceoffs better against the CPU on all-star? It is really hard to play against them if your faceoff totals are 17-5 in a game, and it takes a good minute to get the puck away from them every time (and they barrage my poor goalie in the process with their cycling).

I recently installed some all-star sliders from operationsports on NHL08 and after one game, they seemed to have made the CPU a little more tolerable to play against (which is good for me-I was getting tired of yelling at my screen everytime I got owned for 3 goals unanswered in a period by them)

At this point now, I am enjoying NHL2k8 a little more then NHL08 right now, and it is because they are giving me more controls to use (even though learning them was complicated at first, now they are a breeze).

Kingpen said:
so one thing that is bugging me on NHL08 right now.... How do you dump the puck for a dump and chase strategy? Maybe i'm missing it, but the controls don't explain how (or at least there isn't a button for it). I am getting owned when i play because I basically have to lug the puck into the zone everytime on the half boards. When I go up past center ice, the guy shoots the puck on net, but not in the corners where could sent guys to go dig it out. PLEASE GIVE SOME ADVICE.

Also, is there a decent way to learn how to do faceoffs better against the CPU on all-star? It is really hard to play against them if your faceoff totals are 17-5 in a game, and it takes a good minute to get the puck away from them every time (and they barrage my poor goalie in the process with their cycling).

I recently installed some all-star sliders from operationsports on NHL08 and after one game, they seemed to have made the CPU a little more tolerable to play against (which is good for me-I was getting tired of yelling at my screen everytime I got owned for 3 goals unanswered in a period by them)

At this point now, I am enjoying NHL2k8 a little more then NHL08 right now, and it is because they are giving me more controls to use (even though learning them was complicated at first, now they are a breeze).

I use the saucer pass button when I'm in the zone and it goes along the boards. You have to watch the positioning of the defender though or he'll yank it up before your man gets it.

speculawyer said:
How are you supposed to do face offs with NHL 08 (360)? I've been aiming with the left stick and just trying to pull the pass button (right trigger) as the ref drops the puck. Is that correct?

Edit: I realize I just asked the exact same question as the PS3 guys above (with the same assumed answer). :lol

I've just been using the right stick at face-offs. I pull back towards the player I want the puck to go to.

EDIT: How the fuck is it that the AI seems to be able to hold on to the puck no matter how much poke-checking, shoving and all round hell I try to give it. If I just play my position they pass it around without giving you an in to get the puck back. Also, they seem to be able to do a 360 turn while standing still on the ice at will with you standing right beside them and poke checking them.

The more I play this game the more I see glaring problems.

speculawyer said:
Last night I noticed the box for the xbox 360 version of NHL 2K8 said "Co-op 2-4" and in the online area is also said "Co-op 2-4". So can you play online with people against the AI? That is what that implies but perhaps it is a mistake? Or is this another feature they neglect to talk about.

Well, after receiving a challenge last night, I tried to move my controller to join the other guy's side, but it wouldn't let me. So you can't do co-op from the lobbies. But that really wouldn't be a 'challenge' would it?

Perhaps you can do it from the 'play with friend' start point, but I'm starting to think this feature (online co-op v. AI) doesn't exist.

Kingpen said:
so one thing that is bugging me on NHL08 right now.... How do you dump the puck for a dump and chase strategy? Maybe i'm missing it, but the controls don't explain how .
Well, in NHL 2K8 it is:
Y=wrist dump
Hold Y=higher/harder wrist dump
Left Trigger+Y=slap dump

But you probably already knew that. :D I don't know if dump & chase would work well in NHL 08 anyway since they'll usually beat you to the puck and it is pretty hard to take it away from them.

Phthisis

DoctorWho said:
EDIT: How the fuck is it that the AI seems to be able to hold on to the puck no matter how much poke-checking, shoving and all round hell I try to give it. If I just play my position they pass it around without giving you an in to get the puck back. Also, they seem to be able to do a 360 turn while standing still on the ice at will with you standing right beside them and poke checking them.

Yeah, that part of the game needs a slider adjustment. I turned down the puck control slider a notch or two, or you can also try increasing poke effectiveness (or both!). I've found it helps to make things much more fair.

Also, Kingpen: dump and chase in NHL 08.

You can either shoot when you're outside the blue line, or if you want to ring the puck around the boards after you've entered the zone, simply pass the puck straight down (if you're standing near the boards). Then of course you'll need to take control of another player annd try and get to the puck.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just had my first online game experience with NHL 08 and it was fantastic. No lag whatsoever. I was the Red Wings and I was down 1-0 against the Rangers. I scored two goals in the last minute of play (a Chelios slap shot at 55 seconds left and a Cleary one-timer with 6 seconds left) to win. What a game.

I think I'm overlooking something in NHL 08. I created a custom team and created a bunch of legends. Lemieux-Gretzky-Kurri first line, Gainey-Carbonneau-C.Lemieux fourth line, etc. And now whenever I play in dynasty, the other teams sign these guys up, whether I use current or default rosters or whatever. That is bad news for me. I don't want a division rival signing Bobby Freaking Orr.

What do I need to do to keep these guys out of the free agent pool? I don't even know how to delete them.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
For NHL 08 360, I just created a player... or atleast I think I did.. I picked out all the stats and the appearance (8 faces only is bullshit though). Then i guess I press the Exit button and goto Save Session? Is that how you create a player? Now how do I play with this newly formed player or put him on the team of my choice. i want to play dynasty with him on my team.. Anyone know how to do this?

Kingpen

I wanted to make you guys aware of another pretty cool feature in NHL2k8. We have the ability to download another person's set of sliders for use in our game. Any of you that frequent Operation Sports know that usually a few guys come up with really great sliders that make the game play more 'sim-like' vs the settings right out of the box.

Over the past few years, a user named VeNOM has had great sliders to use with the game, and now instead of printing them out and going one by one (sometimes taking half an hour to input all of them), I can just download them, be done with it and use them in any game mode. The setup will even log which sliders are in the 100 visited, and which ones are recommended the most.
Currently VeNOM and WWJC sliders are the highest rated, so you probably can't go wrong either way.

I installed some sliders for NHL08 the other night and am having a lot more fun with the game now. It has gone into a more realistic, but fun playing game vs the 'chase the AI around while they cycle your team to death and barrage your goalie' game that is present out of the box on All-Star. I got blown out by Montreal in one game, and the next game I shut out Toronto... Nice variation there..

Kingpen said:
I wanted to make you guys aware of another pretty cool feature in NHL2k8. We have the ability to download another person's set of sliders for use in our game. Any of you that frequent Operation Sports know that usually a few guys come up with really great sliders that make the game play more 'sim-like' vs the settings right out of the box.

Not only that but it comes with a whole set of pre-made sliders (sim, arcade, physical, etc.) . . . including slider sets made various pros (Thorton, Spezzo, etc.).

I created a slider set called 'boxing' with fighting, agressiveness, and hitting power turned all the way up. :D

Kingpen said:

Over the past few years, a user named VeNOM has had great sliders to use with the game, and now instead of printing them out and going one by one (sometimes taking half an hour to input all of them), I can just download them, be done with it and use them in any game mode. The setup will even log which sliders are in the 100 visited, and which ones are recommended the most.
Currently VeNOM and WWJC sliders are the highest rated, so you probably can't go wrong either way.

I installed some sliders for NHL08 the other night and am having a lot more fun with the game now. It has gone into a more realistic, but fun playing game vs the 'chase the AI around while they cycle your team to death and barrage your goalie' game that is present out of the box on All-Star. I got blown out by Montreal in one game, and the next game I shut out Toronto... Nice variation there..

Damn, I was hoping the Leafs would kick your ass. Proteus says hi... :p

zedge

Plinko said:
Just had my first online game experience with NHL 08 and it was fantastic. No lag whatsoever. I was the Red Wings and I was down 1-0 against the Rangers. I scored two goals in the last minute of play (a Chelios slap shot at 55 seconds left and a Cleary one-timer with 6 seconds left) to win. What a game.

Luck you... I have yet to get a game to work online..

How could EA release with such show stopping bugs?

:rolleyes:

I really want a demo of 2k8 to try out.. I may switch.

Phthisis

Kingpen said:

Care to post those?

Kingpen

Credit given to Q_bert183 over on Operation Sports. Seems like a lot of people are enjoying his sliders including me.... The only change I have made is that I play with 5 minute periods instead of 10, and I am still getting good results...

I also noticed that in the montreal game I took about 6 penalties... The next game, Toronto took about 5 against me. This makes me happy as the pims out of the box are rather lacking...

Well, I think this is it, as I'm starting to see some higher-scoring games as I improve on offense and the CPU responds. These are just what I feel give the game a nice balance of realism, fairness and difficulty for someone who likes to play a realistic game and isn't an absolute wizard with the sticks (well just yet anyways!)...

-10 MINUTE PERIODS, PENALTIES maxed, FIGHTING at halfway or maxed if you really want to fight when you hit Y. NHL rules for all others. All gameplay sliders are on a zero to six scale...

GAME SPEED: 0**
PUCK CONTROL: 0
FIGHT DIFFICULTY: 0 (I really have no idea how to fight in this game and this seems to slow it down some)
FATIGUE EFFECT: 5
AI LEARNING: 6** (More on this later!)

FATIGUE RECOVERY: 1
PLAYER ACCELERATION: 2**

HITTING POWER: 0
AGGRESSION: 4**
POKE EFFECTIVENESS: 6

PASS SPEED: 4 (the puck should be faster than the players!)
SAUCER PASS SPEED: 6 (trust me, this allows you to 'soft dump' with manual control)
PASS INTERCEPTIONS: 6
GOALIE PASSING: 3**

SHOT ACCURACY: 3
SHOT POWER: 3

SHOT BLOCKING: 6
HOOK EFFECTIVENESS: 6
PENALTY SHOT FREQUENCY: 6
GOALIE COVER FREQUENCY: 6

OK, I had a chance to sit down and play about 10 games between Saturday night and Sunday between football games and I think these will be my final sliders. Here are my final thoughts:

1) DO NOT TURN DOWN AI LEARNING. I know what I said before, but for some reason after losing five in a row while scoring only four goals (3 of which came in one game), I decided to turn AI learning back up to the max. Why? Why not! To my surprise, the game opened up, I started seeing breakaways, I could outskate the CPU and most of all, I STARTED SCORING GOALS! I scored 21 goals in my next five games, with CPU tallying 24 goals! I swear that the 'AI cheats/boosts' that some are complaining about in other threads are a result of lowering AI learning, almost like EA programmed the game to over-compensate if you tried to lower it in your favor...

2) CREATE SOME PLAYS! As I said, recently I've been lighting it up, without really changing any sliders. Other than re-maxing AI Learning, I made plays for the offensive zone strategies and on almost every play I have one guy (two in crash the net) going right to the edge of the crease, usually right it front of the goalie. Now I'm seeing more screened shots, a few deflections, some rebound goals and some beautiful tap-ins when I'm able to sneak a pass through the crease/slot.

3) PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Particularly one-timers and one-timing rebounds. Both are very dangerous ways to score if you execute them properly and can aim your shot while doing it. Many of the 'ridiculous saves' people are seeing on those cross-ice one-timers I suspect are because they are not aiming the shot where it needs to go. Besides, sometimes goalies do make 'impossible' saves. Pick one of the practice modes with no defensive players (I like 5 on 0) and just fire low slappers and try to bang in rebounds with the one-timer. Remember to aim to the open part of the net... This practice will pay off in games, as it will almost become instinctive, which is necessary because the goalies recover very quickly.

4) VARY YOUR PLAY! I think this goes without saying, but you need to mix it up. The game rewards you for it. Listen to Bill & Gary when they comment on strategy, read the between periods suggestions, change your pressures, carry it in the zone, dump it in, cycle the puck and aim low sometimes, except when you see the goalie butterfly -- then pick a high corner! I think what I'm getting at is the game will reward you for 'realistic' play as the AI Learning will have a hard time adapting and will actually make some mistakes by guessing what you'll do next. I've seen at least 3 or 4 clean breakaways in those last five games, after not seeing barely even an odd-man rush playing with it on lower settings.

zedge said:
I really want a demo of 2k8 to try out.. I may switch.

I can't believe they have an NBA 2K8 demo out already when that doesn't ship until next month yet they can't get an NHL 2K8 demo up when that game has been on the store shelves for a week now.

Ok I got this for PS3 and I'm really pissed off cause the defense is so damn nasty and the moment I loose the puck, the AI goes back and scores

SKILL STICK MOMENTS????

WTH, THe moment I'm in one on one: I press r1, deke the defenceman... but my forward just slows down instead of accelerating.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Gimme some pointers cause I'm getting my ass kicked.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Kingpen said:
Use the R button, the longer you hold it the stronger it will be, but it's very effective for banking off boards when someone is pinning you in neutral ice and if you hold it down a bit longer it works great for soft dump ins where you can use your speed to get down and get the puck back in behind the net. you can also use it to saucer the puck across the ice to a winger attacking in on the opposite side. takes some practice but very effective

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
The Bookerman said:
SKILL STICK MOMENTS????

WTH, THe moment I'm in one on one: I press r1, deke the defenceman... but my forward just slows down instead of accelerating.

What the hell am I doing wrong?
you press r1 and you have to use the right stick to say where the puck should go and the left stick to say where your body should go to get around the defensemen. i think theres a tutorial video somewhere off the main menu

Kingpen

sefskillz said:
Use the R button, the longer you hold it the stronger it will be, but it's very effective for banking off boards when someone is pinning you in neutral ice and if you hold it down a bit longer it works great for soft dump ins where you can use your speed to get down and get the puck back in behind the net. you can also use it to saucer the puck across the ice to a winger attacking in on the opposite side. takes some practice but very effective

What is the R button? Are you talking RT for the trigger, or RB for the right Bumper?

My thoughts after using the sliders posted above:

I'm starting to think that there is something fundamentally messed up about this game. After trying these sliders I lost a game were the shots were relatively even 29-28 and the score for them was 3-1. The next game I had about 50 shots against me and I only managed around 19 but won 3-0. I also won the majority of the face-offs.

The next two games were ridiculous. I couldn't win a face-off if my life depended on it. I'm doing nothing differently but the face-off amount at the end of the game was about 40-2 and the score was 8-1. I can't poke-check in this game without a penalty being called on me while they can strip the puck off of my guys with ease. I'm playing my positions on defense and using high pressure. The problem in this game is not my ability to score but my ability to successfully defend at all and I was hoping these sliders would help but I don't want a game were I feel I have to consistently be running around to make up for my lackluster defensive AI.

When I had initially heard this game was going to feature some great AI I was thrilled but now it is apparent that along with it they added some other features to make the game difficult like unrealistic tape-to-tape passing and shots that seem to zig-zag around my blockers and at the net while my shots always seem to hit a man out in front.

Way too many missed shots and posts in NHL 08. It's really frustrating.

So far, some people on the net seem to lift my stick up, and I don't know how to do that. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Kingpen

DoctorWho said:
My thoughts after using the sliders posted above:

I'm starting to think that there is something fundamentally messed up about this game. After trying these sliders I lost a game were the shots were relatively even 29-28 and the score for them was 3-1. The next game I had about 50 shots against me and I only managed around 19 but won 3-0. I also won the majority of the face-offs.

The next two games were ridiculous. I couldn't win a face-off if my life depended on it. I'm doing nothing differently but the face-off amount at the end of the game was about 40-2 and the score was 8-1. I can't poke-check in this game without a penalty being called on me while they can strip the puck off of my guys with ease. I'm playing my positions on defense and using high pressure. The problem in this game is not my ability to score but my ability to successfully defend at all and I was hoping these sliders would help but I don't want a game were I feel I have to consistently be running around to make up for my lackluster defensive AI.

When I had initially heard this game was going to feature some great AI I was thrilled but now it is apparent that along with it they added some other features to make the game difficult like unrealistic tape-to-tape passing and shots that seem to zig-zag around my blockers and at the net while my shots always seem to hit a man out in front.

I think there is a randomness element inside NHL08 this year. Not all games are going to follow a pattern. I hear you on the faceoffs. The main thing the sliders did for me was try to even the playing field on the shots against, but also it helped me with them taking more penalties (me as well though)...

VALIS

I'm gonna have to drop out of the league. Haven't had much time for games lately and I can't see that improving with the real season starting soon. So the Stars are free in the 360/08 league. If you see me playing online at any time, feel free to hit me up for a game. gt: valis666

rs7k

I don't know when the league is starting, but I'm not gonna be back home until Tuesday. I'm definitely still in though.

Foreign Jackass said:
Way too many missed shots and posts in NHL 08. It's really frustrating.

So far, some people on the net seem to lift my stick up, and I don't know how to do that. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

And way too many of those missed shots end up out of play. I hope there can be a patch for this or something.

Phthisis

Just a reminder that the NHL 08 (360) league thread is here. Please indicate if you're playing or not playing if you signed up for the league.

PMs are going out this afternoon.

FightyF

Banned
Osorio said:
It looks like I'm out. My disc is scratched up to hell and I don't want to get another copy.

That's MS's fault...due to the shoddy model of the drive you are using. Do you have any other scratched games?

I don't mind the missed shots, in fact I think some of those hit posts should be missed shots. If you ask me, it's way too easy to hit the net from most places in 08.

TheFallen

Anyone have this problem with NHL 08 online? Every time I connect to a match it checks for a roster update, says there's one available and forces me to download and save it. Yet there's nothing. I can play, but it's annoying that I have to do that prior to every match.

FightyF

Banned
Thanks for the slider info Kingpen.

Hmmm, maybe I should update the OP with some slider settings. Ie. add a link from the OP to another post that has the slider settings.

I'm gonna do that for the 08 settings. As far as 2K8 settings go...I'll just link to your post that says we can download slider settings, as that post points to OP and the users who have made the settings there.

purge: Do you plan to start a new thread in the online forum regarding the 2K8 league or do you want to keep discussion here? I don't mind either way, and if you need me to update the OP's roster list let me know.

Has anyone experimented much with creating plays? I'm just not having a whole lot of luck designing ones that work. Stuff like a simple cycle down low. Any tips?

Phthisis

Marty Chinn said:
Has anyone experimented much with creating plays? I'm just not having a whole lot of luck designing ones that work. Stuff like a simple cycle down low. Any tips?

Actually I made a really good one yesterday modeled after the cycle play in the video from IGN.

I used Overload formation, then had the guy with the puck start in the corner and walk towards the hashmarks on the halfboards. I had the guy on those same hasmarks skate into the slot, and I had the guy in the slot skate to the corner. Voila, perfect cycle as long as you keep passing the puck down to the guy in the corner. You'll eventually open up the defense if you do it fast enough and the guy in the slot should be open.

Fifty

Alright, I've finally decided to get NHL 08.

The demo was great fun and all, but playing Goalie Mode at a friend's place really sold me on it. I used to be a goalie in real life and I've always wanted the ability (in hockey or soccer games) to have a deep and practical way of locking on to the goalie all game.

Some may think it's boring but I love it. I'll play some games the real way, but I'm looking forward to playing a bunch of games with just Toscala.

FightyF

Banned
Fifty said:
Alright, I've finally decided to get NHL 08.

The demo was great fun and all, but playing Goalie Mode at a friend's place really sold me on it. I used to be a goalie in real life and I've always wanted the ability (in hockey or soccer games) to have a deep and practical way of locking on to the goalie all game.

Some may think it's boring but I love it. I'll play some games the real way, but I'm looking forward to playing a bunch of games with just Toscala.

I agree, it's a solid mode, mainly because you can read the shot before he shoots it due to the swinging of the stick. In previous hockey games, the animation didn't really reflect where the shot was going. In this game, it's a lot more realistic.

My only complaint is that you can't cut down the angle anymore...but maybe that's just me. The mode was really well done.

Have you ever pulled the goalie and played as the extra attacker? It's pretty crazy, you follow the player as if you were playing Gears of War or something. First Person Hockey...it has potential! :p

Kingpen said:
<misc. comments on NHL 08 and NHL 2K8.

Kingpen, don't you have problems going back & forth between the two games with different controls?

I wish at least one of the games had the ability to move the controls around. I find the very different positioning of the 'switch player' control on NHL 2K7(A), NHL 2K8(left bumper), and NHL 08(right trigger) very confusing.

The Super-star moves in NHL 2K8 are kinda cool . . . they rarely seem to lead to a score but add a cool method of taking shots to the game. They'll make for great high-light reels.
I sure wish NHL 2K8 had the multi-console mode that NHL 08 has though.

Due to the ToyRUs sale, I've now bought 2 copies of each game! (A set for me and a set for my brother & my nephew)

Kingpen

speculawyer said:
Kingpen, don't you have problems going back & forth between the two games with different controls?

I wish at least one of the games had the ability to move the controls around. I find the very different positioning of the 'switch player' control on NHL 2K7(A), NHL 2K8(left bumper), and NHL 08(right trigger) very confusing.

The Super-star moves in NHL 2K8 are kinda cool . . . they rarely seem to lead to a score but add a cool method of taking shots to the game. They'll make for great high-light reels.
I sure wish NHL 2K8 had the multi-console mode that NHL 08 has though.

Due to the ToyRUs sale, I've now bought 2 copies of each game! (A set for me and a set for my brother & my nephew)

it can be a little jarring to go between the games, but I pick it up after about 20 seconds into the game. I do appreciate all the controls 2k8 brings to the table....

I have a feeling a lot of you guys in the 08 league are going to torch me. I seem to have the New Jersey Devils syndrom and can't score goals to save my life. I would rate myself as a C for Defense right now, and an F for scoring goals. I still can make adjustments though, and am trying to learn some finer points about offenses.

Fifty

Kingpen, in those sliders you posted, what's the meaning of the asterixes next to certain sliders?

Also, it doesn't say which difficulty. I'm assuming all star?

Kingpen

Fifty said:
Kingpen, in those sliders you posted, what's the meaning of the asterixes next to certain sliders?

Also, it doesn't say which difficulty. I'm assuming all star?
I don't think there is any meaning for the *** , I think it was just something the author of the sliders thought was important to point out...

Fifty

Goalie mode is so much fun. Except if you're controlling the Maple Leafs and Bryan McCabe is on the ice for a good portion of the game. He's always letting people get past him and not covering his man properly. This truly is the most realistic hockey game I've ever played.

Phthisis

Fifty said:
Goalie mode is so much fun. Except if you're controlling the Maple Leafs and Bryan McCabe is on the ice for a good portion of the game. He's always letting people get past him and not covering his man properly. This truly is the most realistic hockey game I've ever played.

:lol

knee

General Question: Which Defense do you all use and which control scheme do you use on NHL08? (PS3)

When I play against people online, some people seem to have a D that is ALWAYS in the right position for an intercepted pass or a check. Is there a setting that I'm missing? Even when I stop in the neutral zone to look at their defense, it's always 4 guys STACKING the middle and one roaming around.

Top Bottom