• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

10 problems I have with NHL 08:

1) Online play is broken.
2) Tearing, clipping issues.
3) Superhuman computer goalies. 50 shots on net = 1 goal
4) Passing and Changing player is completely hit or miss, most often doesn't go to man you want.
5) Game freezes. A LOT.
6) Poke checking is useless.
7) Loose puck situations (esp. for goalies)
8) Shoot-outs are completely flawed.
9) Team AI is brain-dead.
10) Comeback computer AI - doesnt do anything in first period.

ps. Fighting still sucks.

Honestly, I like the game but it's miles worse than 07 IMO. I want to try NHL 2k8 and see how it plays.

Kingpen

purgeface said:
Do it, we need more people to join up.

If we get a few more I should be able to start the league. but it doesn't seem like people are picking up 2K this year.

Sorry about ducking out tonight on you Purge.... I didn't know my wife invited people over before I started playing... I'm getting good shot counts in my games of 2k8 and low scoring games so far. I adjusted the hell out of the speed bursts mainly and that is about it... So many options in 2k8! I still love 08 though

Ckid

DevelopmentArrested said:

4) Passing and Changing player is completely hit or miss, most often doesn't go to man you want.
5) Game freezes. A LOT.

Honestly, I like the game but it's miles worse than 07 IMO. I want to try NHL 2k8 and see how it plays.

at least you cant score on every shot like you could in 07. It was brutal how any shot cold turn into a goal.

Foil

TemplaerDude said:
i THINK you might not be, how you say, good, at the game.

Sounds like it. No idea what the hell he's talking about other than the crappy fighting and online issues.

Galaron

EA guy that we like

5) Game freezes. A LOT.

1. Completely agree about online Team Play. Otherwise, versus and shootout work flawless for me
2. - 10. - Not really issues for me/Don't really see what you're talking about

I don't think you remember how NHL 07 hadn't quite lived up to its promise - this was a game after all where you couldn't poke check and move your feet at the same time. NHL 08 is so vastly superior to 07 on just about every category except graphics. If I had to put together a list of Top 10 gripes, none of which damn the game for me, it would be...

1. Online Team Play is broken
2. No consistent way to dump puck out of defensive zone
3. User-controlled goalie mechanics are undeveloped
3. Saucer pass should be on trigger for controlling height/speed, normal pass on RB
4. Hook/pin mechanic are undeveloped
5. Always facing up/down should be absolute, not home/away ice relative
6. AI free agent signing in dynasty mode is bizarre (at least in my first year of my dynasty)
7. No real accurate modeling of fatigue
9. Way too many pucks off of posts, and way too many pucks out of play
10. Confidence rating in dynasty mode has no discernible effect on gameplay
(11. Beat a player in the Top 50 achievement)

But with the exception of #1, the rest is polish. The skill stick, AI, graphics, controls, lack of speed burst button, audio commentary, brilliant play-maker system, ability to chip 'n chase with LB all make this an outstanding hockey game in my opinion.

Phthisis

Captain N said:
are we still going to have the NHL 08 League?

Game comes out in Europe on Friday. League starts Sunday the 23rd. If everybody is cool with that.

5. Always facing up/down should be absolute, not home/away ice relative

Actually, if you're more comfortable playing going up, I like to think of this as a small type of home ice advantage. On the road you spend 2 periods going down (against your comfort zone) and at home you get two periods going up.

What kind of shot totals do you get with this?

Pretty good, for the most part. Sometimes the computer will outshoot me, and sometimes I will outshoot them (last night I beat the CPU with Chicago ad shots were 27-15 in my favor). It really depends as sometimes the computer will go on a tear and sometimes they'll be really meek.

Osorio

I really suck at shootouts. The only games I've lost so far are the ones that have gone into shootouts. I manage to get the first goal when I deke to the right and shoot but after that I'm left blank. Any tips?

More impressions

I've been playing some NHL 08. The player models are very nice . . . but turn down the specular reflections . . . everyone has shiny faces. I'm starting to get the hang of the controls. I'm still annoyed by the player-you-control marker . . . it is too small. And that guy is a bit right about clipping/collision issues. The game has a fancy loose puck deke that you can do, but it doesn't really seem all that necessary when you can just slide the puck between the legs of the opponent with your stick and the stick passes right through the guy's leg!

The animation is a bit lacking . . . 2K always seems to have better animation. The NHL 08 players slide around on the ice a bit unnaturally and sometimes just pivot with no animation at all . . . the player just stands there and rotates like he is standing on a turntable. 2K's skating engine/animation is better.

The goalie mode is very well done . . . I like it more than 2K's crease control that I never really liked. The 'practice' section is pretty minimal . . . an there are no tutorials except a canned movie on the skill-stick.

And where are the extras? People piled on APF 2K8 for having limited game modes (no franchise was a big omission). But NHL 2K8 has a ton of extras that NHL 08 lacks. Pond Hockey, Mini-rink hockey, a hockey Trivia game, air hockey, and a 'battle mode' with a whole slew of mini-games . . .and you can play the mini-games online. NHL 2K8 also has a nice tutorial mode that tells you about all sorts of moves an makes you practice them until you do them successfully. Nothing like that in NHL 08. And what about unlockables? I don't think there are any in NHL 08 at all. NHL 2K8 has a bunch of unlockable teams . . . that you get by completing certain challenges (you have to win a game and fulfill some requirement like getting a power play goal). I think NHL 2K7's unlockable system was much better but at least NHL 2K8 has an unlockable system.

But 2K8 . . . man that game is just overwhelming. There are too many controls. I can see why a number of you guys are going to the older control system. I'm gonna try to learn the new one though.

So I'm still leaning toward NHL 2K8. But I gotta say, the multi-console thing of NHL 08 is cool and the skill-stick works better than I thought it would. I'm having a hard time playing defense on NHL 08 . . . you have to switch players and I often lose track of who I am since the marker is small. And the checking is pretty weak . . . I guess I got used to the 2K system where you play D by flattening your opponent. The poke check works a bit but not well. So D often seems to be just preventing them from getting a good shot and then getting the rebound/pass from goalie.

Oh . . . and if you want to kick a lawyer's ass, add Speculawyer to your friend list and send me an invite to play. I've got both NHL 08 and NHL 2K8. (as well as NHL 2K7 and NHL 2k6).

And if you act now you'll totally get to humiliate me since I've had a few beers and no dinner yet. :lol

Phthisis

speculawyer said:
I'm having a hard time playing defense on NHL 08 . . . you have to switch players and I often lose track of who I am since the marker is small.

Yeah, NHL 08 is a game where you don't really want to be switching around in a flurry. When I play D, I'll keep the same player under control, even if the man I'm covering doesn't have the puck. This allows me to effectively cut off the passing lane and keep my defensive formation in position. I'll change players if the puck goes back to the point or the guy carrying the puck needs to be challenged at the boards, but otherwise, the game forces you to be very patient. There's an instinct to keep changing players and chasing the guy with the puck around, but all that does is open up your defense for goals and scoring chances. Just bide your time, find a moment when the CPU isn't in a good position to make a move towards the net, and strike out to see if you can strip them of the puck.

purg3

slept with Malkin
speculawyer said:
Oh . . . and if you want to kick a lawyer's ass, add Speculawyer to your friend list and send me an invite to play. I've got both NHL 08 and NHL 2K8. (as well as NHL 2K7 and NHL 2k6).

And if you act now you'll totally get to humiliate me since I've had a few beers and no dinner yet. :lol

I sent you a friend request, I'm always down for playing against cool people online-past few matches online in 2K8 have been with complete douchebags.

Kingpen said:
Sorry about ducking out tonight on you Purge.... I didn't know my wife invited people over before I started playing... I'm getting good shot counts in my games of 2k8 and low scoring games so far. I adjusted the hell out of the speed bursts mainly and that is about it... So many options in 2k8! I still love 08 though

It's cool, I'm sure we'll get a game in sooner or later. Yeah, I love how you can have a modifier on practically everything control wise. I love this game.

ex0du5

Banned
I can't believe how good NHL 08 is.

Got it for the PS3...too bad only 30FPS, but the game plays flawlessly anyways. Only the cutscenes are choppy, so I'm not too disappointed. Online works flawlessly also.

I'm terrible at the Skill Stick, but I'm getting better. Shootouts are so incredibly fun :D.

purgeface said:
I sent you a friend request, I'm always down for playing against cool people online-past few matches online in 2K8 have been with complete douchebags.

Yeah, I was in the middle of an NHL 08 multi-console game. Feel free to invite me to a game but don't expect much of an opponent. Well . . . but . . . .

After about 10 attempts I finally got the NHL 08 multi-console game to work. It may have been that uniform code entered v. uniform code not entered yet thing. After about 10 failed attempts, I entered the uni code and got a game to work. I it is pretty laggy/bad frame rate . . . but still lots of fun to have multiple people playing. They should have a better system so you can try to get games going only with people having low latency numbers. The guy on my team got us off to the 5 nothing lead and then disappeared. But I managed to complete the game on my own and get a 9 to 1 victory and a 'fun for all' achievement.

I really think more/all sports games should get multi-console play going . . . it is fun. It would be a great feature for basketball & football. As someone has pointed out, there are a zillion multi-console shooters . . . why no multi-console sports games?

bran

5) Game freezes. A LOT.

I agree with every point except POKE CHECKING IS THE MOST USEFUL THING EVER

BTW, this dual NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 thread was a good idea. There seems to be such a limited interest in hockey that it is nice to have them combined.

bran

Using poke check to cut off passing lane, to force attacking team to skate a round in a bigger radius, and basically just cut off the lane they were going to take. Press and hold R1 and press the right analog stick in that direction, keep holding the stick out, you'll learn to love the poke check.

Maverick

You can look for flaws all day, but after spending a few days w/ NHL 08 on 360, this is the best, most fun hockey game I have ever played.

And I've played ice hockey for 15 years of my life and have purchased every 2K and EA Sports NHL game since the beginning of time.

Powerplays actually feel like powerplays, players move at a realistic pace, and you are rewarded greatly for playing smart defense.

I could give a shit about the fighting engine. 95% of NHL fights are 15 seconds clutching and grabbing. What I care about is a balance between realism and fun. And NHL 08 really delivered, much to my surprise.

I really thought EA's series was dead for good around '98.

Tabris

I tried to search for comparison threads or anything from google but couldn't find any.

Nothing in the original post and this thread is really long, so I apologize if it's been asked/answered before, but what are the differences between the PS3 and 360 version? I'm leaning towards the 360 version as that's the one my friend is getting (as he doesn't have a PS3) but I want to ensure there's not any other losses except losing out on 1080p (no elite), or even better, if there are benefits.

Tiktaalik

Damn this NHL 08 is pretty damn buggy. Fortunately, I haven't found any bugs that effect gameplay yet. The main one I've found is that randomly the game seems to show the wrong replays, and sometimes shows the action with multiple players on the ice in a shootout replay :lol .

I found another bug just now too where I was playing around in the menu, and about to startup a shooting practice, but then I backed out of that menu and started a game instead. At one of the goals all the shootout practice stuff was there and remained there for the whole game. There was no collision detection on it so it didn't affect anything.

The absurd number of posts in NHL 08 is driving me crazy. Most of my best scoring chances result in a post. I hit 3 in a row at one point and just stormed out of my room sobbing.

TheFallen

5) Game freezes. A LOT.

Have you even played the game? I can't agree with any of those complaints. The online play has worked flawlessly for me, tearing/clipping is almost non-existent, it doesn't take 50 shots to score unless you're awful at the game, etc.

Tabris said:
I tried to search for comparison threads or anything from google but couldn't find any.

Nothing in the original post and this thread is really long, so I apologize if it's been asked/answered before, but what are the differences between the PS3 and 360 version? I'm leaning towards the 360 version as that's the one my friend is getting (as he doesn't have a PS3) but I want to ensure there's not any other losses except losing out on 1080p (no elite), or even better, if there are benefits.

Since you are mentioning 1080p, I assume you are talking about NHL 2K8. I'd say get the 360 version since that is where your friend will be and it will have a much bigger online community. Both versions are supposed to be 60fps.

BTW, I have an old xbox 360 premium and it is connected to my HDTV that accepts 1080p over component. I'm getting a 1080p signal. I have no idea whether the game is actually rendered in 1080p . . . in a gamespot stage demo several months ago, they said it would be 1080p but I haven't heard anything about that recently. If it is being rendered in 1080p, they should really brag about that fact. Very few games do 1080p on the xbox 360 . . . Virtua Tennis is the only other I can think of.

revolverjgw said:
The absurd number of posts in NHL 08 is driving me crazy. Most of my best scoring chances result in a post. I hit 3 in a row at one point and just stormed out of my room sobbing.

The AI scored on my last night on a shot that hit the cross post. The commentators went on to say how rare that is.

purg3

slept with Malkin
squatingyeti said:
So, any hope for a 2k8 league? Looks pretty empty or is the first post just not updated?

Here's the updated list...

purgeface said:
NHL2K8 League (360) Team Selection

Northeast
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
Toronto Maple Leafs
enigma5 (Enigma5)-Ottawa Senators
Boston Bruins

Atlantic
DenogginizerOS (Denogginizer NC)-New Jersey Devils *?*
Philadelphia Flyers
purgeface (purg3) - Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
New York Islanders

Southeast
Carolina Hurricanes
ChrisJames (MightBeWrong)-Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals
Atlanta Thrashers

Northwest
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
bishoptl (bishGA) - Vancouver Canucks
Minnesota Wild

Central
Chicago Blackhawks
FightyF(TerraRythm) - Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
speculawyer (speculawyer) - San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes

Tons of teams still available, post what team you want and I will update the list.

TheFallen said:
Have you even played the game? I can't agree with any of those complaints. The online play has worked flawlessly for me, tearing/clipping is almost non-existent, it doesn't take 50 shots to score unless you're awful at the game, etc.

Have you tried the multi-console play? I've tried many times and only 1 in 20 attempts actually resulted in a game starting.

And the clipping (objects passing through each other) is an issue. Of course it is an issue in all games but it seems a bit prominent in NHL 08, IMHO. I manuevered a puck through someone's legs by having my stick just pass right right his leg. I also had a goal score that clearly went through the goalie's leg pads. Again, all sports games have these issues but those two were a bit too much.

Too many posts, bad replays, AI not agressive enough, very crashy in the online game, and there seems to be a tendancy for the game to even up the games. Still, best hockey game in a while.

ghostface

5) Game freezes. A LOT.

1. I played a few online games and it was fine, except for freezing.
2. Some but 2K also has it
3. Goalies are great, animations are awesome.
4. I agree, switching between players when defending against a turnover sucks, especially with the small cursor.
5. Game DID freeze for me a couple times.
6. Poke checking works, but the stick moves too slowly for my taste. I prefer it in 2K8.
7. YES! Goalie often decides that the puck right next to his skate is too far to grab. Same for players who just watch the puck in front of them without even moving. Retarded.
8. Shootouts are fun.
9. Seems ok, maybe slider tweaking will help?
10. Bah, that can be said about a lot of sport games.
11. Yeah fighting is useless.

Other gripes:

- Replays sometimes don't correspond to the play
- Way too many posts.
- Flaws in the physics engine (a D-man comes to hip check me, makes contact but I'm still on my feet with the puck. Half a second later I'm in the air doing a back flip.

With all that said, the game is really fun so far, seems like a fresh change for someone like me who has playing 2K since Dreamcast. It remains to be seen if with the right slider adjustments the A.I can behave more realistically.

Phthisis

NHL 08 360 League thread is up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7861380

Starts this coming Sunday. Please check in in the league thread and state if you ARE or ARE NOT going to be playing. I'd like a good head count by the weekend so we know how many people are for sure playing. Also post there your feelings on organizing a playoff bracket after the season is over.

FightyF

Banned
I've updated the OP with a link to the official 360 NHL 08 thread in the online forum, and I can also do the same for the other leagues. I think the OP looks cleaner that way and it's a bit easier to read.

I also updated it with the notable differences between the 360 and PS3 versions.

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to share.

I just realized, I should pop the Reebok code up there.

Again, anything little like that would be pretty useful to have in the OP...I'm sure I forgot other obvious stuff.

NHL 2K8's Reebok Edge codes should be up soon...

FightyF

Banned
Guy Legend said:
Question about the PS2 versions of NHL 08 and NHL 2k8, does either support 16:9 widescreen and 480p?

I have no idea...try checking the official sites (links are in the OP). I'm trying but both are flash heavy and my internet is CRAWLING at the moment.

thx spec!

Last night I noticed the box for the xbox 360 version of NHL 2K8 said "Co-op 2-4" and in the online area is also said "Co-op 2-4". So can you play online with people against the AI? That is what that implies but perhaps it is a mistake? Or is this another feature they neglect to talk about. (They are high-lighting for NBA 2K8.)

From NBA 2K8 site:
2K Online - Nobody does online gaming like 2K Sports and this year we have added tons of new features including a news ticker that updates you with sports headlines across the country, a user customizable Front Page display, and a Co-op mode that allows 2 users to play on the same team against the AI.
http://www.2ksports.com/games/nba2k8/

The NHL 2K8 listing on xbox live says it too:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/n/nhl2k8/

-------------------Begin Offline features-------------
Players: 1-4
Players Co-op: 1-4
Multiplayer Versus
Dolby 5.1 Surround
HDTV 1080p (So it is really 1080p? Cool.)
Storage Device
-------------------Begin Online features-------------
Players: 2-8
Players Co-op: 1-4 (Or does this mean 1-4 locally co-op against other guy on-line?)
Marketplace Downloads
Leaderboards
Online Tournaments
Player Stats
Voice Messaging
Voice Support

FightyF

Banned
speculawyer said:
Last night I noticed the box for the xbox 360 version of NHL 2K8 said "Co-op 2-4" and in the online area is also said "Co-op 2-4". So can you play online with people against the AI? That is what that implies but perhaps it is a mistake? Or is this another feature they neglect to talk about. (They are high-lighting for NBA 2K8.)

From NBA 2K8 site:
2K Online - Nobody does online gaming like 2K Sports and this year we have added tons of new features including a news ticker that updates you with sports headlines across the country, a user customizable Front Page display, and a Co-op mode that allows 2 users to play on the same team against the AI.
http://www.2ksports.com/games/nba2k8/

The NHL 2K8 listing on xbox live says it too:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/n/nhl2k8/

-------------------Begin Offline features-------------
Players: 1-4
Players Co-op: 1-4
Multiplayer Versus
Dolby 5.1 Surround
HDTV 1080p (So it is really 1080p? Cool.)
Storage Device
-------------------Begin Online features-------------
Players: 2-8
Players Co-op: 1-4 (Or does this mean 1-4 locally co-op against other guy on-line?)
Marketplace Downloads
Leaderboards
Online Tournaments
Player Stats
Voice Messaging
Voice Support

Yeah, I noticed that too, but it wasn't clear enough to put in the OP, so I left that area blank (removed it just lately).

Last year after 2K7 was released Ben Bishop mentioned multi-console play as a hopeful feature in 2K8. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if EA learned that and basically added it in their game because of that.

But I haven't tried 2K8 online yet, I suppose we'll have to try it ourselves to see.

Face-Off issue is bugging the crap out of me. I'll play one game and win face-offs by a decent margin and then the next game the face-off difference will be 26-6 against me. WTF? I'm doing the exact same thing in both games and it isn't like I'm playing against better face-off men.

What gives?

NHL 08

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
How do you take face-offs with the PS3 version? :lol

I use the R1 or R2 *switch player/pass button* and use the left analog to aim it to a player.

Jason

MrToughPants said:
How do you take face-offs with the PS3 version? :lol

I use the R1 or R2 *switch player/pass button* and use the left analog to aim it to a player.

That's what I do. It usually works. :lol

DoctorWho said:
Face-Off issue is bugging the crap out of me. I'll play one game and win face-offs by a decent margin and then the next game the face-off difference will be 26-6 against me. WTF? I'm doing the exact same thing in both games and it isn't like I'm playing against better face-off men.
What gives?
NHL 08

How are you supposed to do face offs with NHL 08 (360)? I've been aiming with the left stick and just trying to pull the pass button (right trigger) as the ref drops the puck. Is that correct?

Edit: I realize I just asked the exact same question as the PS3 guys above (with the same assumed answer). :lol

FightyF said:
Last year after 2K7 was released Ben Bishop mentioned multi-console play as a hopeful feature in 2K8. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if EA learned that and basically added it in their game because of that.

:lol That sure shows how important competition is. Perhaps the EA guys just heard about something that was a 'hopeful feature' that 2K was looking at. The EA then worked hard and implemented it . . . even though the 2K guys apparently abandoned the idea.

I think it is a really neat feature that more sports games need. Kudos to EA Canada for pulling it off!

greenry

speculawyer said:
How are you supposed to do face offs with NHL 08 (360)? I've been aiming with the left stick and just trying to pull the pass button (right trigger) as the ref drops the puck. Is that correct?

Edit: I realize I just asked the exact same question as the PS3 guys above (with the same assumed answer). :lol

Just have to use the right stick when the puck drops, no need to press any other buttons. So if you want to pass it backward just pull back on the right stick when the ref drops the puck, it's all timing.

Phthisis

epik said:
Any word about the 360 NHL 08 preseason?

We're just going to start the season cold turkey, I think. The league interface is really simple (no schedules, etc.) so there's really no need for a preseason, especially since the game has been out a week.

greenry said:
Just have to use the right stick when the puck drops, no need to press any other buttons. So if you want to pass it backward just pull back on the right stick when the ref drops the puck, it's all timing.

Really? That would be a good way of doing it but it doesn't make as much logical sense to match the rest of their control scheme since this is a pass, not a shot or deke.

In any case THEY SHOULD PUT THIS SHIT IN THE MANUAL!

greenry

speculawyer said:
Really? That would be a good way of doing it but it doesn't make as much logical sense to match the rest of their control scheme since this is a pass, not a shot or deke.

In any case THEY SHOULD PUT THIS SHIT IN THE MANUAL!

Yeah, would it hurt to spend the extra pennies to type out an extra line explaining this little detail?

Top Bottom